The Sacrificial Boy : Chapter 5

Printer-friendly version
The Sacrificial Boy

by:
Elsbeth

Aislin learns that all choices in life come with consequences

Sorceress.jpg

Chapter 5


Macha walked back and forth at the edge of the herb garden, watching the road that led into the village. Biting her lip, a habit her mother had unsuccessfully tried to break, the young apprentice finally sat down.

“You’re nervous.”

Looking up, the young girl smiled. “A little, Aislin seems to be taking her own sweet time coming home.”

Ina put her hand over her eyes, blocking the rays of the setting sun; the carriage that had taken her grandchild away had been gone for most of the day.

“Mistress Ina, this morning, I insisted we call Aislin, a girl, especially after the village elder’s proclamation. It was all just a bit of fun, and I’m ashamed to say to get back at Rowena. But now I feel as if I forced it on her.”

Ina frowned, deciding whether to tell her young apprentice what had transpired early in the morning. The proclamation had been entirely her fault. Unknown to either Macha or Aislin, before the sun even broke the horizon; she had already confirmed her grandchild’s lineage with the village Elders.

Thankfully none of the men recognized the coat of arms displayed on the Patent of Nobility; such recognition would have raised far too many questions.

“What did she say?”

“She said it doesn’t matter.”The young woman looked thoughtful.”I mean, it should, shouldn’t it?”

Ina shook her head. “That child has a habit of not complaining even if it’s painful. However, I believe that right now, it’s in her best interest, especially with the eyes of some very powerful men on her.”

“I know, and that’s what scares me. Still, what do you mean she won’t say anything even if it hurts her?”

“Aislin never complained when the village children picked on her. Usually, they left her alone, mainly because of Rowena, but I knew that it happened."

Taking a seat next to her apprentice, the Wisewomen also kept a close eye on the road waiting for her grandchild’s return.

“When she was, I believe nine years old; my grandchild walked into the cottage, holding her side with the left side of her head covered in blood. She passed me without a word.”

Macha's eyes opened wide.

“Without a tear in her eyes, although I knew she had been crying, she simply cleaned herself off. When I asked about it, Aislin refused to tell me what happened. Instead, she said it was nothing, just pain.”

“That’s awful.”Macha rubbed her tears from her face; she couldn’t fathom why anyone would want to hurt Aislin. “But why didn’t she say anything?”

“She didn’t want me to worry, after that; I wouldn’t let her leave my side unless it was with someone I trusted. When the village Elders explained to me why she received such a beating, I began to understand my grandchild a little better. See, Aislin had been protecting Renn.”

“Renn?”

Ina smiled. “Aislin will ignore her own pain, but she will not tolerate another to suffer. To her usual tormentor’s surprise, she leaped on them to help her friend. What I was told later, one of the men had to pull her off the largest boy in the village.”

Macha looked shocked for a second and then giggled. “Still…”

“I know, that’s why when the notion of being called up in the levy came up, she didn’t complain. Aislin explained to me that if she didn’t go, then someone else would have to take her place.”

“But that won’t happen now. Even if she insisted on being male, none of the gentry could be forced into the King's service.”

“True, but she won’t be any less happy about it. Macha, now that you know my grandchild’s secret, does it change your feelings for her?”

“No, why, should it?”

The Wisewomen smiled, reached over, and gave her apprentice a kiss on the head. “By the goddess, you are indeed a treasure.”

Macha smiled at the compliment. “I will say, though, since Aislin has started wearing her mother’s clothes, something is different about her.”

“In what way?”

“When I opened the door in the cottage and saw her in that dress, it was like seeing her for the first time. When she walked across the village green, that too seemed so out of place. Have you seen the way your granddaughter holds herself now? You know how she complained at first, fought it even, but the entire time her eyes burned liked the sun.”Macha shivered a little, feeling it all over her body. She had always been drawn to Aislin’s eyes.

“I agree, I told her something similar.”

The young apprentice smiled. “And she denied it.”

“Of course.”

Laughing, the two missed an older woman running across the village green, making her way directly to the healer’s cottage.

Nora, the wife of the village’s Ferrier, stood before the pair in an obvious state of panic, said. “Mistress, I need your help.”

Slowly making their way back to the village, after a long day, Aislin decided that she truly loved the birds. Although, in truth, she couldn’t find pleasure in the hunt itself, the birds were magnificent.

Having no problems with controlling the animals, the Lord falconer even praised her himself, Aislin had spent the entire afternoon with a small Sparrowhawk on her arm. However, not everyone enjoyed the day’s outing.

Aislin sadly noted that Rowena’s lack of enthusiasm and interest had not pleased the castle’s servants. People who someday, she knew as the wife of the Castle’s Seneschal worked with her friend daily. Several times, Aislin wanted to take her aside but felt it would have just made matters worse.

“I’m sorry that your mother insisted that you come out with me today.”

Rowena had been surprised herself. Last night, as soon as her family walked through the door to their cottage, her mother left to speak with the village Elders. From what her father said, her mother planned on going to the Constable in the morning.

Although Rowena tried to get her mother to change her mind, someone else obviously did. Before breakfast, Elder Argyle took her outside to talk, coming back inside a few minutes later, visibly shaken.

“Don’t worry; I did have a good time, well watching the birds anyway.”

Once again, she fell silent. For almost half the trip, the two didn’t speak again until Rowena suddenly asked. “I do have a question, why did they bring up their lineage?”

Aislin smiled. “At first I thought Nevan and Miles were trying to decide if we were all related, afterward well I’m surprised you didn’t figure it out. I don’t know why, but I believe they were trying to impress me.”

“Impress you? Why should they impress you?”The young girl looked away then quickly changed the subject. “It sounded like Sir Nevan, and Sir Miles is related to King Conall.”

“Most of the nobility are related through one line or another. Sir Nevan grandmother, the Countess of Moyry, is the King’s sister. Sir Miles’ grandfather, our own Duke Blathmac, is the King’s brother.”

“But they are not directly on the line for the throne.”

“Correct, only through a male heir. As Duke Blathmac had three daughters, including Miles’ mother, he cannot inherit. Neither can Sir Nevan’s. His father being the only son of Countess Moyry.”

Although at times a bit confusing, Aislin could see where this was going. From commoner to noble, this topic was one of great concern.

“So what happens if the Crown Prince does not have an heir?”

Prince Burin, with his second wife, a much younger woman, had been married for almost five years but still without an heir.

“Hopefully, he will proclaim another. Otherwise, I’m afraid we will see fighting among the noble houses once more.”

Twenty years ago, when the boy King, William the Younger, died, he left an empty throne. Three families, the Ciannacht, Osraige, and the Armhaighe all took to the field.

The largest, the Armhaighe, made an alliance through marriage with the Ciannacht. Less than a year later, with the last male heir of the Osraige family slain at the Battle of Rathlind, the eldest son of the Armhaighe line took the crown.

Rowena shook her head, had her friend always known these things? Again she felt that distance between the two of them growing. “You know, I’m jealous of you.”

Aislin gave a half-smile. “Why?”

For a moment, it looked like Rowena had planned on saying something else but instead pulled on her dress. Giving Aislin the first real smile of the day, she said. “Compared to mine, all of your clothes are all beautiful.”

“Not true, I have seen your clothes, and that outfit is very nice too.”

“But yours are so much nicer.”Turning back around, the young girl leaned against her friend. “I’m sorry, it’s just I wished nothing had changed between us.”

As the carriage rolled into the village, Aislin didn’t reply, not understanding what she didn’t want to be changed, and too afraid to ask.

After releasing the guards and drivers, Aislin found the cottage empty. Deciding that she needed to learn how to disrobe herself, the young woman stubbed her foot on the corner of her mother’s trunk. Strangely enough, it sounded surprisingly hollow.

--0—

Ina watched as Macha rubbed her temples; the healing had taken a lot more out of her than usual. In bard’s tales, the King’s Healer would wave a hand, and magically all of the hero’s wounds were healed. However, such things only happened in stories. A healer’s job was to let the body do most of the work, only strengthening its natural healing ability. Poultices, potions, and herbs simply made their job easier.

Chatting softly, both Ina and her apprentice found Aislin, sitting in the middle of the front room fully dressed. In her hands, a small gold disk attached to a long golden chain.

“Oh, Aislin.”The Wisewomen said, turning to her apprentice, she asked. “Can you leave us alone?”

Macha nodded; with a worried look at her friend, she left the room, closing the door behind her.

“Gran?”

“First of all, I cannot tell you everything; it’s for your own safety.”Pulling up a chair, she took a seat by her grandchild’s side. Reaching down, Ina took the medallion into her hands. About the size of her fist, the disk bore an image of golden sun. Surrounding the sun, in the ancient script it read. “In these hands shall she heal a kingdom.”

“Where did you find it?”

“In a hidden compartment inside the clothing chest.”It took a little effort to pull back the false side, but what she discovered surprised her even more. “Was my mother really the daughter of a merchant?”

Ina smiled. “Yes, however, when her family discovered that she had the gift, they sent her away. Still, a daughter of a rich and influential family does not simply become a Wisewomen.”

“No, they become one of the King’s Healers.”Aislin took the medallion back, studying the inscription once more.

“Yes, that is how I met her.”

“Like Macha’s grandmother, you were a Court Healer.”Aislin already surmised this information, as her grandmother had stood on the Wisewomen Council for some time.

Ina just nodded, unable to speak, afraid of what her grandchild might ask next.

“Did you actually plan on allowing me to join the levy?”

Caught unawares by the sudden change in questions, she answered truthfully. “No.”

“I understand.”Slowly rising from her chair, Aislin headed towards the back of the cottage.

“Are you angry at me?”

The young woman turned around and smiled. “No, why should I be. I know you, and my mother were just trying to protect me. Oh, why were you out so late?”

“Master Jaralth came down with the Summer Fever.”

“So early, and didn’t he have it last year?”

The summer fever came out of the Oáche Foraoise, the swampy forest region that lay for miles south of the town, every year. Hardly ever fatal, most only caught it once or twice in a lifetime.

“Perhaps it’s because all of the men worked deep in the woods the last few days. Macha did the healing; she is coming along quite well thanks to your teaching.”

Aislin smiled. “She’s your apprentice.”

“Others might disagree.”

Clutching the medallion to her chest, Aislin asked. “Will, you ever tell me the whole truth?”

The Wisewomen flinched; they had been lying to her the whole time, but it was for her own good. “Aislin”

Reaching over, she kissed her grandmother on the cheek. “Goodnight.”

Standing in the small bedroom, which smelled more like a stable than a cottage, the three women regarded the sick man’s illness. Master Jaralth, who had been feeling better the night before after the healing, once again took to the bed ill.

“Did I do something wrong?”

The Wisewomen shook her head. “No, Macha, even Master Jaralth said he felt better last night."

What the three of them didn’t understand, why did his wife Catlin and both of their boys fall ill? The Summer Fever never reacted this fast; normally, it started slowly peaking sometime in the middle of the summer and disappearing totally before harvest.

“By all of its symptoms, it does sound like the Summer Fever?”Aislin said worriedly while mixing another poultice.

All three women looked up when Mistress Clar stuck her head through the doorway. “Ina, I’m afraid to say this that there are two more whole households sick.”

The Wisewomen sighed. “I will get to them once I am finished with the Ferrier and his family.”Turning to Aislin, her grandmother asked. “I need you to go into the forest. We are not ready for this.”

The young woman nodded. Unfortunately, she knew the medicinal plants needed to help with the symptoms had not bloomed. Perhaps, she could find some of the lesser-known alternatives deeper in the Oáche Foraoise, she thought to herself.

Ina seeing what she planned in her grandchild’s eyes said. “No, keep out of the marsh. It’s not safe.”

“Then I’ll escort her.”A male voice spoke from the front of the cottage.

“Miles?”Aislin walked into the other room, surprised to find the Knight standing at the cottage entrance.

“I was told that there was an illness running through the village.”Sir Miles said, behind him stood a half a dozen armsmen.

“You shouldn’t be here, Miles.”

“Neither should you; I came to take you back to the castle.”

Aislin sighed, funny just a week ago, she had dreams of rescuing Rowena, and now it seemed a Knight came to rescue her. “I’m needed here.”

“Not right now.”Ina came out of the backroom. “Sir Knight, if you wish to help then please escort my granddaughter into the marsh.”

“Gran.”

“If you insist on going Aislin, I would feel better if you take your Knight along.”

Miles smiled at that, giving the women a courtly bow. “It would be my pleasure.”

“Alright, you need to get out of the village anyway. You haven’t had this illness, have you?”

The young man shrugged. “No, but I never get sick.”

“I’m sure.”Aislin smiled. “I’m going to borrow a few of your armsmen.”

The young Knight looked confused for a moment. “If you wish, but why?”

“We need to see if the illness has spread to the other villages. If not, then perhaps they have some of the medicines that we need.”

Sir Miles nodded. “Perhaps the castle might as well.”

“Thank you, Miles, if you can send a rider up to the Castle and the villages I will tell them what my grandmother needs.”

--0—

Just as the sun began to set on the horizon, five very tired riders entered the village Aislin, Miles, and three armsmen. Two armsmen seemed to be injured, one with a bandage on his arm, the other on his leg.

“Your skill at riding has improved.”Sir Miles said gently as he helped Aislin off her horse. He could sympathize as she made faces, obviously sore in unusual places. At least having a knack with animals, she learned quickly, but it didn’t make her any less sore.

Squeezing Miles's arm, she walked over and checked the two wounded men.

“I’m sorry you were hurt on my behalf?”

“Not true, Milady; it was Hamish here that fell into the nest.” The armsmen with the bandaged leg pointed to his partner.

“Biggest damn lizard I’ve ever seen, I never thought I would ever see a real basilisk. Of course, it was almost my last time as well.”The large red-headed man banged his bandaged arm on the pommel of his saddle as he laughed.

The half-sleeping lizard had struck out at the two men, poisoning both. Thankfully, the Basilisk, being nocturnal, had been asleep allowing the rest of the armed men to dispatch it with ease. If it had been at night, the day’s events could have turned out much worse.

“And if you had not been there, we should have died from the poison.”

“Strange logic Ross, since the only reason why you were in the marsh was because of me.”Aislin smiled. “You both need to take it easy for the next three days.”

“Yes, Milady.” They both nodded their heads.

“I will see to it, Aislin.”Sir Miles said, coming up to stand next to her. “Perhaps you should come to the castle tonight; you haven’t even had dinner.”

“No, my grandmother will need me. I also need to make medicine with the plants we gathered today.”

“Then, tomorrow, I will come by after lunch.”

“Miles, I told you. You have to stay out of the village. Getting the Summer Fever for the first time as an adult can be very serious.”

“Then, I’ll send a carriage for you.”

“Miles.”

“She will be happy to accept your invitation to lunch tomorrow Sir Knight.” Ina stood at the cottage doorway.

“Grandmother.”

“Macha and I are more than capable. Plus, we were able to get more of the Solas Leaf from two of the villages and the castle. Thankfully, the illness has not spread. If you would please thank Sir Nevan for us, Sir Miles, the medicine will be of much use.”

“Then I shall send a carriage, tomorrow then, Milady.”Reaching for Aislin’s hand, he gently kissed it.

Thanking the armsmen again, the young woman retreated inside the cottage.

“Were you able to help everyone.”She held her hand to her chest.

Ina smiled at her granddaughter’s reaction to the kiss. “Yes, I ended up healing while Macha administered the medicines. The illness seems to be acting a little different than usual, perhaps because it’s so early. Hopefully, we will have good news tomorrow.”

Aislin nodded, but not really paying attention anymore. She could still feel Mile’s lips on her hand. She knew she had feelings for Macha, but did she also have the same feelings for Miles? With what happened with Rowena two summers ago, she stopped thinking about it entirely.

Pushing the thoughts away, Aislin walked into the kitchen. First food, then a long night making medicine and after everyone in the village was feeling better, she decided that perhaps she would sort through her feelings.

up
290 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Macha or Miles

This will be an interesting choice as there is no foundation for homosexual relationships in this story. Apparently the social castes and roles are fairly rigid so how will this work?

I suspect this weird illness has to do with the removal of a certain black monolith?

I hate it when people say they are doing for my own good without telling me why.

Kim

social castes and roles are fairly rigid

Elsbeth's picture

True, there is no foundation for such a relationship and would most likely turn out very bad if not outright fatal. In this world, like Medieval Europe gender roles and social classes are very rigid. Unless you plan on living outside societal norms. (which again is often fatal)

Thanks for reading

-Elsbeth

Is fearr Gaeilge briste, ná Béarla clíste.

Broken Irish is better than clever English.

Secrets

Cindy Lou's picture

Kim, you say
"I hate it when people say they are doing for my own good without telling me why."

Ah, but isn't it delightful to drop the kind of hint that could be a major key? Add that to the title that still begs a clearer meaning.

It's got to be hard for Aislin to not be bitter - - especially holding the medallion in his - uh, her hands.

Okay, so I reeeeeely hate any "for you own good". Even worse from politicians. Still, this one gave me a thrill.

Nice clear transition from him to her, by the way.

"For your own good"

Years of hard earned experiance has taught me to be very leary when ever someone says that to me. My experiance has been that when ever someone says that they're doing something for "my own good" that it almost always never is.

Hugs
Tamara Jeanne

Mystical

Your writing has a pleasant mystical quality to it. I like it very much. Thank you for writing it.

Gwendolyn

Mystical

Elsbeth's picture

Thank you very much Gwendolyn, I'm happy your liking the story.

Thanks for reading

-Elsbeth

Is fearr Gaeilge briste, ná Béarla clíste.

Broken Irish is better than clever English.

this story us evolving nicely

I love how Aislin is finally allowed to become who she really is. Her love and concern for others is so feminine as is taking charge when someone needs help.

I am looking forward to next chapter. And i keep wondering if somehow the monolith will effect her full change into female. . . or if it is a magick that keeps it from happening.

Thanks for the story,
Cassie Ellen

monolith

Elsbeth's picture

Nope, haven't forgotten about it. :) Now Aislin does have a propensity to go with the flow unless something is happening to others. I'm happy your liking the story.

Thanks for reading

-Elsbeth

Is fearr Gaeilge briste, ná Béarla clíste.

Broken Irish is better than clever English.

Science? Naah...

Jemima Tychonaut's picture

A common disease acting unusually infectious and coming early in the season? Clearly, the disease has mutated somehow and... oh wait, it's the world of magic... I'm guessing it's the Black stone! :-)

It also seems that Sir Miles has finally made a small bit of progress in working his way into Aislin's affections. Whether Macha knows it or not I feel she may have competition.

I'm really enjoying this story as it unfolds. :-)



"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."

Elsbeth has already spoken of the underlying motivations

for Miles' and Macha's interest in Aislin. I am sad that Ina is pushing her so much in Mile's direction, even though she realizes Macha loves Aislin? Aislin still has that 'little abnormality' that would be difficult with Miles or Nevan for that matter and Macha loves her irregardless. Miles and Nevan's interest is also more calculating as they are after a dowry and money in general. Barbaric, it basically comes down to I will protect your daughter if you pay me to do it. The problem with Macha and Aislin together would now be more of class in addition to the sexual orientation issue. How would they fit into any community with that one-two combo of a problem. How Aislin will deal with this impacted wisdom tooth of a situation is beyond me.

Kim

dowry and money

Elsbeth's picture

Very true, both Knights have been brought up where marriage should be seen as a way to benefit one socially. Although its a bonus, that Aislin is very pleasing to the eyes but a big dowry would be just as pleasing. Note they are not against falling in love, however they too have to act a certain way within their social class.

As for Macha & Aislin paring, that too as you surmised would have all sorts of pitfalls.

Thanks for reading

-Elsbeth

Is fearr Gaeilge briste, ná Béarla clíste.

Broken Irish is better than clever English.

That little abnormality

Cindy Lou's picture

Of course, everything about her/him is not "normal", but I'm still remembering things like:

* The messenger raised his hand. “A number of us in the Keep understand your dilemma. The good Knight has in fact been told of your situation by Sir Nevan, however he does not believe it to be true.” *

If I understand this correctly, Sir Nevan knows of the "abnormality", yet he was that one plotting getting him out of the village with the help of mother and sister - right? Should I then conclude there is another twist to the courting that could entertain? Or has the poor gent lost his memory with the help of stunning beauty?

The fact that others in the castle know suggests gossip at the least. Rowena could also be faced with two moral questions also (whether to speak and how to keep her friend from harm - whether possible or not).

Wheeeee! we have TG, Bi, Gay, wisdom, stuffiness, and a dozen other fun ingredients. Well, is that whee or ouch?

Mutations

Elsbeth's picture

Mutation is an quite the alien concept when one lives in a medieval paradigm. Magic makes a lot more sense, although they would perhaps conclude that its a different disease. Glad your liking the story.

Thanks for reading

-Elsbeth

Is fearr Gaeilge briste, ná Béarla clíste.

Broken Irish is better than clever English.

Am I the Only One ?

...who feels that something is very wrong in how everyone is trying to make Aislin accept being a girl? From a matter of 2 chapters, there isn't sufficient means or real reason for everyone in the village to just accept Aislin from wimpy not much noticed boy to a beautiful girl. No one even really protested at that issue by anyone - even by some of the village elder males, much less Aislin. A few simple "I am a boy" 's and its over with. That doesn't settle well with me as a reader without supporting evidence at the reason for that acceptance. Even Aislin's emotions don't lend the credence or support that I, as a reader, need to cue me in on if Aislin is just playing along deviously, or truly accepts the situation, or others accepting the situation and with reasons (Im excluding Gran and Macha from this statement), or if Aislin really wants out of it and go back to being acknowledged as a boy.

And I think the knights would have been more curious to find out the truth much sooner about Aislin it one had been mentioned to them that Aislin was a boy. That would have piqued curiosity to the point of finding out immediately if either knight truly found Aislin amazing.

It's probably just me feeling that something somewhere has been left out, that I overlooked, but most certainly by now, in this chapter, its prominently bugging me to the point I can't see over that issue and delve into this story like I once did at the beginning :(

Have I overlooked something?

:~~~~~~~~~

Sephrena

Ah, gender roles...

Gender Roles are often very defined in medieval societies and Elsbeth has spent a bit of time defining and calling out these gender roles in her story here.

Aislin clearly doesn't fit in her "society's" gender role and as is often with primitive societies the only solution is to hammer the round peg into the square hole harder until it fits (which seems what is being done) or remove it (often fatal...)

Gender Roles & Medieval Paradigm

Elsbeth's picture

Very true, gender roles are very well defined. In the middle ages in our world and in this world as well, a women's identity is tied to that of the men, where childbearing and motherhood being their goals.

In this world we also have another group, those women who live outside the society, the Wise Women/Court Healers/Kings Healers. All of these women to some degree or another are outcasts.

The Wise Women live in the village, although are never considered villagers.

Traditionally they don't marry, although they do have life long companions, as marriage is consider a right of women inside the social structure.

-Elsbeth

Is fearr Gaeilge briste, ná Béarla clíste.

Broken Irish is better than clever English.

Aislin

So far we've been given clues but no proof he or she has a strong feminine side. The way Aislin carries (herself) while feminine attired and the lesser the way (she) puts others' welfare ahead of (her) own which is usually regarded as feminine trait in our culture.

We also have two more mysteries. One what coat of arms did Grandmother show the Elders and what about her mother being a Court Healer caused her exile? Did the King, hmmmm...., dally? To steal the title from one of my all time favorite and forever unfinished fantasy series, is she a "Bastard Princess?" (Look up Claudia Edwards!)

Elspeth I have to agree with Gwen that while I really love all of your stories, your 'voice' in this one is above and beyond. Just wow! This is the kind of story I curl up on the sofa with and let myself fall into another world. :)

Hugs
Grover

PS: I really like this story!

I agree with Grover

in that your writing voice in this is excellent. I am going back to rereading the first 5 chapters again to try and find the cues I missed the first time around and why I feel how I do about the story and characters.

Sephrena

Forced?

Nope, the villagers simply supposed that the wimpy boy that nobody ever saw naked (a distinct possibility) was a noble girl in disguise for some reason.
They know that "grandmother" was in the court for a while and the coat of arms silenced any objection. After all, it is not healthy to mess with the dealings of the nobles.
But, if not for the coat of arms the village head would go to the constable and Aislim probably would be in trouble. It appears that amid the "crimes" of Joan D`ark was dressing like a man. This helped to lead her to the bonfire.

The Sacrificial Boy : Chapter 5

What would the Summer Fever, or Basilisk poison do to Aislin?

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

“Twenty years ago, when the

“Twenty years ago, when the boy King, William the Younger died he left an empty throne.”

Why do I suddenly wonder just how old Aislin is, and suspect this point will come back later in the story. I am surprised nobody at the castle has asked something along the lines of “But why did everyone say you were a boy?” In any event, I'm eagerly looking forward to more of this.

Great story

Really enjoying this one, great writing style, easy to read

Thanks!!

Elsbeth's picture

Thank you, I'm glad your liking the story..

Thanks for reading

-Elsbeth

Is fearr Gaeilge briste, ná Béarla clíste.

Broken Irish is better than clever English.

mystery illness?

trouble is coming, I fear. Can she save them all?

DogSig.png

Black history?

Not sure the black monolith is to blame, it could also have been holding back something else or limiting the sicknesses strength with it gone the protection is removed. The problem may be partly revivalist history, the loser is evil and the winner is a hero regardless of the real story. Or both sides were good or bad, the winners are still the ones that tend to write the history for some odd reason, and the almost always look good in them.

Revisionist?

It took me a bit to parse out your meaning, there :P

I for one tend to be partial to the idea that even a villain has their redeeming qualities, so whatever the truth behind the Sorceress, I can see where you're coming from with this. I'm interested to eventually see how this all plays out.

Melanie E.

Opps

Yes, revisionist was the word I was looking for, I don't use that word often and could not quite remember what I was looking for. Kind of embarrassing but it could have been worse. Now, to wait for the next chapter to find out what is behind the problems and our hero/heroine's secret past.

Sometimes I just wish I could go back in time and "put right what once went wrong." Hey, that's what the edit button is for, now to find the one for my life.

Sorceress

Elsbeth's picture

History is often like that the bad guys aren't as bad and the good guys aren't as good. But sometimes its exactly that, so we shall see. :)

Thanks for reading

-Elsbeth

Is fearr Gaeilge briste, ná Béarla clíste.

Broken Irish is better than clever English.

Okay...

Firstly, to Elsbeth: Wonderful chapter. The inter-play between the characters was very well handled and the parts that would have muddied the story (the fight against the "big bad lizard," for example) were nicely glossed over.

Secondly, to everyone blaming the sickness on that black monolith... This is Elsbeth we're talking about here. It wouldn't suprise me if this was just a red herring or (if it actually IS something to do with that black stone) it might only be a side-effect of what the stone actually did (I.E. if the illness is bigger and badder, then it might have spawned from a certain kind of rotten corpse often mentioned this time of year that just happened to crawl out of that bog/marsh/whatever they called it). I honestly wouldn't put it past her to pull something like that. ;)

Peace be with you and Blessed be

black monolith

Elsbeth's picture

What, would I do something like that :) I'm glad your liking the story.

Thanks for reading

-Elsbeth

Is fearr Gaeilge briste, ná Béarla clíste.

Broken Irish is better than clever English.

You tell an intriguing tale!

The wait between chapters is excruciating. But, I will endeavor to persevere.

If the healers in general are outcasts, maybe more accurately a caste unto themselves, do the normal social mores necessarily apply to them?

_Bev_

caste unto themselves

Elsbeth's picture

Yes most definitly they are closer to a caste unto themselves. Now they do for the most part follow normal social mores, they do have to live in the world however they are much more social diverse

Thanks for reading

-Elsbeth

Is fearr Gaeilge briste, ná Béarla clíste.

Broken Irish is better than clever English.

Aislin is much better at...

being a girl, than she ever was at being a boy. She just fits in so much better, and is more widely accepted by most(but not all). We shall all just have to wait and see where this all leeds.... Great story so far Elsbeth, keep'em comin' hon! (hugs) Taarpa

The Sacrificial Boy

Good chapter...great story

++++++++++++
Cartman: A fine day of plundering we had boys. What about yourselves? Here you are lads, plenty of booty to go around. A round of grog for me boys. A round of grog for everyone!

Better with each chapter:)

I'm slowly catching up on some of my reading:) This was well worth the time. I really enjoy this one and the complications too:)
*Great Big Hugs*

Bailey Summers