The Sacrificial Boy : Chapter 19

Printer-friendly version
The Sacrificial Boy

by:
Elsbeth

Aislin learns that all choices in life come with consequences

Sorceress.jpg

Chapter 19


A cool morning breeze blew through the ancient Forest of Wyre, spreading across the valley as if heralding the approach of Aislin.

Dressed in an exquisite, a black and silver gown, she studied the lands around her before motioning her mount forward towards the fortified keep of Dun Láiidir. Behind her, a procession of other riders soon followed, the more heavily armored riders spreading out as the group passed through the edge of the woods.

Galloping ahead of the escort, a mailed warrior shouted with joy, pumping his fist high in the air as he held a large cloth banner aloft. Many of the armored riders joined the cheer. To them, the blue and black griffon banner had always been a symbol of hope, something that had been missing for many years.

Moving forward, the riders, covered in thick plates of steel and mail, were not mere swords for hire. The best mercenary companies never were. With long histories, some reaching as far back as the first kingdoms, the most sought after commanders held as much power as some nobles who they found themselves in employment. The heavy horse escorting the Sorceress, recently employed by the Kingdom of Dáil Riata, had at one time been household troops.

At the end of the War of Succession, nobles refusing to swear fealty to the new King of Airthir lost their titles and lands. While many went into exile, others who found themselves without a home, banded together to form mercenary companies, working hard to keep the martial traditions of their old household alive. Now for the first time in many years, those men truly felt as if they were home.

To the commanders of the army of the Kingdom of Airthir, the sight of heavy horse only brought confusion. For the last week, preparations had been made to do battle against dark forces, hoards of elementals, or even the undead. Now the officers stood uncertain, facing a rather mundane group of riders heading towards the fortified gates of Dun Láiidir.

Even more unsettling, above the processional, flew a symbol of a family, an enemy that had fought with great tenacity before it fell. The Captains of the army of Airthir did not know which would be worse, facing dark forces of the Black Sorceress or seeing those banners once again flying on the other side of a battlefield.

To the simple foot soldiers, the infamous Black Sorceress’ sudden appearance as the head of an honorable household, who calmly rode in between the two great armies, brought great relief. Although they stood ready, many believed and hoped that the day would end peacefully.

To Aislin, the gentle breeze brought the pungent aroma of horse and men, leather, and steel. Anyone familiar with the smell knew that it often preceded bloody battles. The young woman, too, hoped for a better outcome for the day.

Hiding a smirk, she nodded regally to the Captains and Knights standing in front of the formations that stood on the small rise near them. As they passed the long line of troops, a gentle murmur of voices followed, surprisingly not hostile.

“Not what they expected.”

Aislin turned in the saddle slightly, giving her grandmother a soft smile. “No, I would think not.”

For a brief moment, Ina could see in the eyes of her granddaughter, not the powerful Black Sorceress, but the frightened child she often found herself comforting after a particularly troubling day.

She knew what her granddaughter feared most. In the early morning, as the two shared a small breakfast, Aislin spoke of what needed to happen today and the terrible consequences of what would go wrong if it did not.

“I believe that you will surprise a lot more people today. Of course, to many, your appearance itself will give people pause.” Ina moved closer to the Sorceress. “I know that I have told this to you before, but you look so much like Miranda. It’s uncanny.”

Aislin nodded, it wasn’t just her looks that would be unsettling either. From what she knew, her father’s mother had been a formidable woman and a powerful King’s Healer.

“Of course, back then, we were nothing more than two silly girls who often ignored their apprentice duties to watch the boys practice in the castle’s courtyard. Our Mistress had other ideas, making sure we were too busy to find time to look at boys.”

“Sounds vaguely familiar, not the boy part, though.”

Ina chuckled. “Yes, well, like her, I have tried to guide my charges with a firm hand during their apprenticeships. Although, at times, we cursed your great-grandmother for apprenticing us to that woman, we were still both very grateful.”

“Why’s that?”

“Well, being born in a royal house, Miranda had little choice but to follow a certain path, gifted or not. However, when I first came into my power, your great-grandmother took it as a sign that the two of us should remain together.”

“Both of you were apprentices to the same Healer?”

“Yes, rather strange; then again, Macha has two people teaching her.”

Aislin shrugged. “She’s hardly my apprentice.”

“I beg to differ. Nevertheless, your grandmother and I apprenticed under King Uric’s Healer. Once the two of us passed our apprenticeship, I remained with your grandmother.”

As Ina continued to tell the story of her long friendship with Miranda, Aislin’s grandmother, she could see Aislin relaxing. Just like during thunderstorms, when she would entertain the scared young girl with her favorite stories.

“Now speaking of trouble, your father was a handful. Always curious about how things work. He made a fine engineer. Sir Henry, the old Lord Kelvin, was quite happy to allow your father to add some improvements to his castle and lands. ”

Aislin bit her lip for a moment; the two of them had been dancing around the topic since she returned.

“Did my parents know Lord Kelvin well?”

Ina frowned for a moment. “Friends and cousins, as you know. The late Lord Kelvin was a Royal Engineer and the one who sponsored your father into the Society.”

Aislin nodded, the Royal Engineers were a close-knit group. Not surprisingly, one would step forward to help another in a time of need.

“So, what happened?”

Ina closed her eyes for a moment, lost in her memories. “After the battle of Rathlind, we found your father, lying in a King’s Healer’s tent, severely wounded. With your grandfather dead and Duke Conall forces holding the field, both your parents would have most likely have been killed if captured.”

The Baroness paused again. “Sir Henry gave them sanctuary at his castle, hiding your father until he recovered. Your parents had hoped to make their way to King Llwynog’s lands once your father recovered, but Sir Henry had other plans. Since your household still had some allies in the court, they believed if your father swore fealty to the new king, they might be able to keep some of their lands and titles.”

“So, what happened?”

“Sir Henry passed away suddenly, and when his son claimed the title, your parent’s location became known to other members of the court. It was at that time Duke Blathmac appeared in the village demanding that your father accompany him and take command of one of the King’s Regiments of Foot.”

“Right, one of King Conall’s first attempts to push into the Gairdán valley; of course, they called it a rebellion.” Aislin looked towards the keep; her father had been killed right in front of those very walls many years ago.

“Well your mother wasn’t too pleased, I can tell you that. But they both believed that your father’s support would go a long way in gaining favor with the new king.”

“But he died.”

“Yes, he did child, and when that happened, support in the court disappeared. Your mother’s so-called allies wished for her to remain a simple village healer; hopefully soon to be forgotten.

Doubtfully she would have followed their advice until she discovered she was pregnant with you. After you had been born, the two of us made other plans. Once you were old enough, we would help you recover your titles and lands.” Ina gave Aislin a warm smile.

“So, that’s how you ended up in the village?”

“Yes, with my husband and your grandparents dead, I decided to go into exile with your mother.”

“Your husband?” Aislin looked at her grandmother, seeing the shadow of sorrow in her eyes. “You never really talked about him much. Just that he died before I was born.”

“I haven’t.” Ina frowned, and then looked distant with a half-smile on her lips. “He was a good man, a good husband; fiercely loyal to his friends but especially your grandfather. The two of them died along with so many others at Rathlind. Did you know that your grandfather and my husband were knighted the same day by the old king himself? “

Aislin smiled and shook her head.

“Brave fools the lot of them. We loved them all of them so very much. At least for me, a day does not pass-”

The two rode silently for a time, lost in their own thoughts.

“Baroness, will you please meet with the King’s Herald when we arrive. I’ll let you decide how we are to proceed.”

The older woman’s eye lit up before she gave a slight bow. “As you command, your Grace.”

--0--

Putting Ina in charge of the order of precedence had been the correct decision. As the group approached, she quickly confronted the King’s Herald. Even before he could speak, the Baroness had already informed the poor man exactly how things were going to go. Of course, the two Kings had other ideas, but she would have none of that.

“Burvju, I feel your power here, it overflows in the very stones.” Her banner-man rode up to Aislin’s side. Adorned in heavy mail and plate and wielding a large runic ax, the young man, an epitome of a Kareivis warrior, carried the banner of his Burvju proudly.

Like others who dwelled in the Sorceress’s castle, Aislin came to know the young Kareivis named Ukko through one of her visions. High above the clouds, in the snow-capped mountains, the young Runecaster had patiently waited for the goddess of death or the Burvju to claim him as one of her own.

With the first rumors of an ancient power awakening in the old woodlands, the people began to stir. Those who heard the call of the Burvju began to gather around the ancient meeting places, singing the songs of her return. They all knew it would be a matter of time when she began a search for new champions.

Although the gift was rare, Ukko wanted to stand out from the others. Leaving the small group at the traditional spot of acceptance, he pushed upwards into the lands of snow and ice. Climbing so high, it became difficult to breathe. Now high above the clouds, death’s cold touch came upon him. Knowing that only his craft lore would keep him alive and with a prayer on his lips, he began to carve fire runes into the very stones themselves.

If the Burvju had not claimed him the next morning, Ukko knew he would have perished. Only the strongest would be able to stand by the Burvju side when the darkness tried to claim the realm, like the ancient heroes out of legends. Anything else would have been unacceptable to him and the people.

The Bannerman barked with laughter as Aislin only smiled. From the little time he had spent with her, he knew the Burvju was one to have plans within plans.

“Yes, Ukko, even the two armies are not safe. Ancient standing stones lay deep under their campsites, waiting for my call.”

Motioning for the young man to follow, Aislin studied the castle’s walls. Immediately she noticed that many of the ancient black rocks embedded in the fortification as well. The Sorceress had chosen her meeting place well. With little effort, she could easily call upon the ancient defenders that resided in the stone.

However, even with that power at her fingertips, Aislin had little desire to call upon that magic.

She now stood at the crossroads in time, moments before an event of such magnitude that it would influence the political future of the realm for many years to come. Even the smallest action would directly impact those events.

She had changed that outcome to a certain degree by arriving under her House banner and not that of the Black Sorceress. That had been a gamble, but so far, it worked better than she thought possible. Only as a last resort would she call upon the stone defenders, and if that happened, all of her plans had already gone terribly awry.

As Aislin dismounted in the courtyard of the keep, she had had to stop herself from giggling at the satisfied look on Ina’s face as her grandmother returned.

“Gone well, I take it?”

“Yes.”

“Isn’t that nice.” Before Ina could answer, a tall man in black and silver stepped out of the shadows.

Prince Scáith almost laughed aloud at the mortals surrounding the Sorceress. Except for the one called Macha, most of her so-called defenders backed away in panic.

“Do you wish to test me, girl?” The creature stepped forward, threatening. Macha just stood her ground, giving him a malevolent glare.

“Did you do as I asked?” Power rolled off the Sorceress, her voice almost bringing the creature to his knees.

“Of course, the so-called Prince and his troops have been returned to their lands, unharmed.”

The Black Sorceress raised an eyebrow. “In the exact location, I wish them to be released?”

“Yes,” The creature grumbled.

Until last night, Aislin had Prince Rupert and his brigade of horse wandering around the Forest of Wyre. Like other soldiers, who had entered her domain, the men and horses had spent their time lost, wandering around the forest in circles.

If Scáith did as she asked, the men should be exiting the edge of the woods on the other side of the valley, far to the south and away from any chance of joining a battle that would, if she had anything to do about it, not take place.

“Foolish, if you want my advice?”

“Not really.”

“You should; the mortal Prince was a perfect hostage. Liadan would have kept him. In fact, she wouldn’t even bother talking to these so-called Kings.”

“I’m not Liadan.”

“Obviously.” The creature rolled his eyes in disgust before disappearing once again into the shadows, hidden away but still close if needed. Although the Sorceress had sufficiently awed the Thaumaturgists when she shattered the bonds of their elementals, they were still a threat.

Ignoring the rebuke, Aislin strode forward with the rest of the processional behind her. Reaching the large gateway, she found that for some reason, the King’s herald had disappeared.

“The Klarsdales have always been a flighty sort, never understood why Connell made them heralds.” Ina shook her head, annoyed at the apparent lack of protocol.

“You don’t think?”

Her concern filtered towards some of the others, who looked up at the ramparts. Finding nothing but curious onlookers, they turned their sight back to an amused Sorceress.

Aislin understood that the Kings, well, one, in particular, was trying to prove that he was still in charge. She decided to show him the error of those beliefs.

“Don’t worry. I have an idea of who is making us wait; the only problem is I hate waiting.” With a flick of her wrist, the doorway opened. Turning back to the others, she smiled. “Shall we.”

--0--

Throughout the long night, retainers and servants worked diligently in the great hall, preparing it for the two kings’ parley with the infamous Black Sorceress. Along with two gilded thrones, regimental banners hung from the ceiling, along with large tapestries of various victorious battles.

With the thrones placed higher than the rest of the room, along with the trappings, the room would hopefully give the illusion of strength and intimidate the fabled Black Sorceress.

King Llwynog, sitting on one of the gilded thrones, looked upon the great hall with grim amusement. “Just an illusion,” He murmured.

At the start of the week, the position of the Kingdom of Airthir continued to improve as reinforcements arrived almost daily. From the number of troops now deployed on the field, Llwynog believed that King Connell had come close to stripping the borders of their protection.

With the mercenaries departing the camps the night before, it suddenly placed Connell in a precarious position. Even that small number of troops the Sorceress fielded, if deployed correctly, could threaten not only the flanks of the army of Airthir but also the lands to the north.

Looking around the great hall, he didn’t see strength but desperation. King Llwynog prayed to the gods of battle, that desperation didn’t force King Connell to do something that everyone would regret.

From his own point of view, nothing had gone as planned since the campaign began. However, after meeting with the Sorceress envoy last night, if things went well, the day might not end in a complete unmitigated disaster.

Watching the commotion going on at the front of the hall with interest, he stifled a chuckle. Apparently, Conall’s desire to force the Sorceress to wait did sit well with her. Not surprising, even if he doubted the legend, that one would not be one to suffer fools gladly.

Noticing the panicky heralds approach his fellow king in the last few minutes, he chuckled. From the way the King of Airthir looked, most of it must have been bad news.

“Do you find this amusing, Llwynog?” King Conall growled.

Looking over, he merely shrugged. “So, do you think it’s particularly wise to have all of these people included in this parley?”

“The others are not here at my request.”

Beyond the half a dozen members of his court that stood along the side of him, numerous other onlookers filled the hall. From Captains of Horse and Foot, Knights of the Realm along with other Nobles, not including a group of white-robed King’s Healers, and Court Healers talked quietly among themselves waiting for the Sorceress to appear.

For a moment, King Llwynog thought about bringing up the decor of the great hall but changed his mind. Little could be done about it now. His choice had been for the three of them to meet in one of the command tents. Conall wanted to make a whole pageant out of it.

Suddenly two new people entered the hall, interrupting the royal conversation. One easily recognizable, dressed in garish yellow and red doublet and hose, as Conall’s senior Herald. The other, an older woman dressed in a dark green gown with a white and silver sash denoting her rank of a Court Healer.

With a scornful look towards the Herald, the woman stepped forward into the center of the great hall.

King Conall paled suddenly. “I know you.”

“Yes, Your Grace, I am Baroness Ina of House Dálseacht and at one time, your sister’s Court Healer.”

“How dare you.” The King’s Herald finally found his voice. “You present yourself in front of King Conall of House Armhaighe, his Majesty most High and ruler of all the lands of Airthir.”

“That remains to be seen.” A voice suddenly called out.

From the doorway, a woman dressed in black and silver entered the great hall. Behind her, marched a small group of retainers, including a warrior holding the black and blue Griffon banner.

Baroness Ina smiled at the stunned kings. “Let me introduce to you Her Grace, Duchess Aislin of House Osraige.”

up
271 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Her Grace, Duchess Aislin of House Osraige

Woot...great chapter

++++++++++++
Cartman: A fine day of plundering we had boys. What about yourselves? Here you are lads, plenty of booty to go around. A round of grog for me boys. A round of grog for everyone!

Crackin!

So this is bringing political power to bear as much as anything. The sneaky part in all this is there were no male heirs left though Aislin was considered male at birth but changed over. So will that be sufficient for a claim for the throne? The fact she was considered male at birth will be known soon enough as Lord Kelvin is no doubt there.

This is indeed an incredibly climactic chapter.

Kim

The Die is cast!

Will Aislin's gamble payoff? She is trying to reduce the bloodshed by this maneuvering I think. Will it work?

I'm always happy to see more of this most excellent tale. :)
hugs
Grover

King Conall is a fool. King Llwynog seems far more reasonable.

If King Llwynog is correct King Conall has all but striped his country of its defenses in order to mount this attack. His nation is at the mercy of pirates and any who wish to plunder it while he pursues this insane war.

If Conall doesn't wise up he is likely to lose his kingdom, his heirs if he has any and his manhood if not also his life.

LOVE how Aislin has avoided using magic to a large degree. Much of her power is from allies and attracting people to her banner in the name of justice.

But she has it in reserve in spades.

Conall and his troops will be dead before they knew what hit them if they refuse her mercy.

Mind you given what Conall's line did to her's she owes them NO mercy. Sending her loyal forbears to their doom and enslaving peoples is hardly a noble history.

LOVE how her grandmother has risen to the occasion and reclaimed her nobility.

I noted the demon/spirit that had done her bidding thought she was being weak in releasing the prince and his troops rather than using them as hostages.

But that may make all the difference between her and the original Black Sorceress and the Sorceress's sister.

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

Ruling with love

Aislin has proved several times now that she can achieve more than the original black sorceress by ruling with love instead of fear or obligation. She freed the elementals of her castle, and still they stayed because she had won their love and loyalty first. She gave the Captain who was left for dead a chance to lead people who needed a real leader to fight for what they most believed in. And with the lost troops, she showed them her power, but at the same time her mercy. I can see them being great allies in the future. Especially when the defense of the Realm is more important than the petty bickering between states.

Eventually, I wonder if she will win over the Dark Prince. Either way, the future is going to be wonderful to watch.

Love & Light,
Cassie Ellen

Great story

Great story Elsbeth. Glad to see you finally start to put the history of Aislin's family. This was a very good chapter and look forward to reading your next chapter. I wish you best of Success and good health.

SDom

Men should be Men and the rest should be as feminine as they can be

Finally....

... we learn some of Aislin's backstory. I have known it had to be out there. Aislin was more than a TG boy living in a small village. And the political intrigue... Wow. Keep writing.

Styx

Now is the time.

That which has been hidden is now cunningly ,only partialy revealed. Aislin is a great poker player who's opening hand is played in artfull understatement. A true leader she seaks to out head game her opposition to preserve the lives of the innocent, while holding the trump hand up the sleave of her beautiful dress.

Woe to the fool who thinks she is not in possession of the horses to back up her gambit. They may before ,the end of the day , find themself missing there crown, and there head supporting it.

Just an opinion.
Baroness Michele Whitewolf of clan Lupus. Vassal to House Lafay.

With those with open eyes the world reads like a book

celtgirl_0.gif

great addition Elsbeth

MadTech01's picture

Hope to see more of this story coming soon, And keep up the good work.

"Cortana is watching you!"

yay!

Jemima Tychonaut's picture

Great to see another chapter of this story. :-) I can see one of the two kings being receptive to Aislin but Conall I'm not so sure of. Aislin certainly seems to be gambling everything on this one!



"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."

I'm thinking the Kings are.......

About to recieve lessons in humility and a generous portion of humble pie! Nice build-up to this point Elsbeth, keep'em comin' hon. (Hugs) Taarpa

Lovely story

I'm glad I clicked on the link to this story.

Hugs,
Jenna

After reading this chapter...

I'm subtly reminded of the show "Game of Thrones" with all that political maneuvering and posturing and what not. Looking forward to seeing how this plays out, Elsbeth. Please keep up the wonderful story telling. :)

Peace be with you and Blessed be

Well

Talk softly but cary a big stick, isn`t it? Nicely done.
More?

Another great chapter

We learn so much in the beginning about the past, and then setup for how the future needs to play out.

Those who are getting to know Aislin are already seeing that despite her incredible power, she still openly listens to the needs of others. I think that Aislin sees that life is not to be wasted. Instead it should be turned to what benefits all. And thus her campaign proceeds to save the realm. Sadly, whether it wants saving or not.

The ending was perfect. Aislin showed not only that she had the power to rule, but also the right to claim the title of High Queen.

I can't wait until the next chapter.

Bright Blessings!
Cassie Ellen