The Sacrificial Boy : Chapter 4

Printer-friendly version
The Sacrificial Boy

by:
Elsbeth

Aislin learns that all choices in life come with consequences

Sorceress.jpg

Chapter 4

Aislin slowly opened his eyes, confused for a moment; he turned his head to find a sleeping Macha only inches away. Studying her face for a few seconds, he couldn’t help but smile. Since last year, especially during the winter months, he felt drawn to her, but there could only be one outcome of such a relationship. Once she found out the truth, like Rowena, she would begin to distance herself.

Before that day, the two of them planned a secret life together away from the village. Unknown to even his grandmother, in what turned out later to be nothing more than a dream, Rowena planned on running off with him to find his family. Aislin felt that his mother’s relatives would welcome him, and together they could start a new life.

But that new life was never meant to be. Afterward, at least she insisted they would always be friends. Nevertheless, after seeing her with Master Oran, the young man understood that dream too had ended as well. For him, dwelling on such dreams long enough could be fatal.

A promise at his mother’s deathbed, to live a happy life, had always seemed just out of reach. He worked hard, tried not to worry his grandmother, tried not to become a burden to the village, tried not to let the villager's hateful words hurt him, but it never mattered. Whether his life came to an end with a spear in his hand, or at the headman’s block, the results would be the same. Perhaps that’s the way it was supposed to be.

Slowly, moving his arm from underneath the young apprentice, Aislin slipped out of bed. For a moment, he thought about taking off the chemise but decided to keep it on. It felt nice against his skin. Ignoring the chamber pot on the ground, he headed outside.

Not for the first time, he thanked his father’s foresight of building an outside privy, allowing the contents of the cesspool to be used as fertilizer. Slipping back into the cottage, he discovered his grandmother sitting in front of the fire, a cup of warm cider in her hands.

“Good morning.”

Aislin bit his lip; she had that look about her. Either his grandmother wasn’t feeling well, or something horrible happened. Praying it was the drink, the young man made himself a bowl of porridge before taking a seat.

“How are you feeling?”

As if realizing Aislin’s presence for the first time, Ina smiled. “I’m fine, sweetie, nothing more than a little headache. We need to talk about a few things.”

The young man nodded, he had been dreading this day for some time. Obviously, the village Elders decided to add his name to the next levy, or perhaps the Knights discovered his true gender and planned on executing him? Lost in his thoughts, Aislin didn’t hear what his grandmother was actually saying.

“Wait, what did you say?”

“The village Elders wanted to know if you have finally decided to stop pretending to be a boy and dress appropriately as one of your station.”

Aislin sat back, stunned.

Seeing his confusion, his grandmother tried not to laugh. “During the meeting this morning, they all kept talking about the beautiful gentlewoman that crossed the village green. When you put on your mother’s clothes, to me, it was as if watching a butterfly crawl out of its cocoon for the first time.”

The young man looked more than a little confused. “Gran, you know that was just an illusion. I can’t be a real woman, anymore more than I can be a real man.”

“Aislin, what do you mean by that?” To their surprise, Macha stood at the doorway.

As the world went dark, the half-eaten bowl of porridge slipped from Aislin’s hands.

His grandmother, seeing what happened, reached her grandchild’s side before he fell to the ground. “Sweetie, it’s alright.”

“Aislin?” Macha looked suddenly frightened.

“Get me a wet washcloth, child.” The Wisewoman commanded her apprentice as she gently held her grandchild to her breast.

Moments later, feeling the cool water on his forehead, Aislin opened his eyes. “What happened?”

“You fainted.”

Smiling weakly, he felt chagrined for showing that side of himself. “Sorry, you surprised me, Macha.”

The young woman nodded her eyes full of concern, took a seat across from him.

“I guess I owe you an explanation." Looking lost in thought for a moment, Aislin suddenly began. “We are all aware that our roles in the village, actually in the Kingdom, are defined by our social class and our gender.”

Not understanding exactly where the conversation was going, she simply nodded.

“Women in the village are expected to follow these roles, they clean, cook, sew, give birth, take care of those children, and make a home for their husbands. Men too fit in a similar role; they became blacksmiths or thatchers, they cut wood, till the fields and along with their wives make a home.”

Macha smiled, she loved to hear him talk. He had this ability to take very complicated things and explain them in a way that anyone could understand. Although what he was speaking about now, everyone knew.

“Now what happens if someone can’t follow those roles? Wisewomen live outside those constraints, correct? No one expects them, due to their oaths to the goddess, to become a village wife. The infirm and sick too, like Renn. No one expects her to become a mother someday.”

Their friend had fallen into a pond when she was much younger, nearly drowned. However, Renn was never the same again. She had just passed her fifteenth summer but still acted like a girl ten years younger.

Looking up at his grandmother, Aislin gave her a half-smile. “Now, what happens when a person is neither male nor female?”

Standing up, he let the chemise fall to his waist.

“You have...”

“Breasts.” They weren’t very large; however, there was no mistake in what they were.

“I haven’t been totally honest with you either, Aislin.” Macha looked away, embarrassed. “When you came home last night, I helped you undress not because you needed help.”

“I see.” Slowly, he slipped the chemise back on his shoulders. Sitting down, Aislin waited for the inevitable.

Like Rowena, his grandmother’s apprentice would, of course, be disgusted; hopefully, it wouldn’t ruin the relationship between the two of them. Worst case, perhaps he would just leave the village.

“When I saw you in your mother’s dress, I didn’t see a man. Like your grandmother said, you’re so beautiful. Since I first met you, Aislin, the way you walk, the way you talk, everything about you tells me that you’re a girl. Although your grandmother told me that you’re her grandson, I have always wanted to ask, why do you pretend to be a boy.”

Aislin looked up confused. “Because I have a...”

“Yes, I know.” The young girl looked embarrassed. “When you were sleeping, I checked.”

“Macha!”

“I’m sorry Aislin, I’ve lived here for six months and I have never seen you without clothes on. I haven’t even seen you with your shirt off. And yesterday, you wouldn’t allow me to help you get dressed.”

“Of course not.” He said, pointing to his chest.

“How do you?”

“She, I mean, he binds them,” Ina explained.

Looking at her apprentice, the Wisewomen smiled. Making the young woman her apprentice had been a good choice. Compassionate, gifted, among other things, Ina could tell that Macha’s feelings for her grandchild had not changed in the least.

Unlike the girl Rowena, who Ina was so disappointed with. With a truly understanding woman, it was possible for the two of them to make a life together; instead, she almost lost Aislin that spring two years ago.

The young woman flinched, rubbing her own chest. “Sounds painful.”

Aislin shrugged, it was getting more and more uncomfortable. He was positive they were still growing. “Not that I have much choice.”

“You do, why don’t you just be a woman?”

“Remember those roles we have to play. As a woman of the village, I would have been required to do certain things. The cooking and cleaning I do already, however, the rest is not possible. To any man, I’m abhorrent, unnatural. Anyway, this way, it’s easier to hide what a freak I truly am.”

“Aislin, stop.” Ina reached over and held her grandchild close. He sounded so cold, detached. No one should think of themselves that way.

The three of them sat in silence for a few minutes before Macha, with tears in her eyes, asked her master. “I don’t understand why you just didn’t have Aislin become your apprentice. I can tell that she, I mean he has the ability.”

Ina frowned. “I tried to do just that. As a member of the Council of Elders, I petitioned for my grandchild to become a Wisewomen. However, it was against tradition. Your grandmother and a few others sided with me; the rest refused even to test him.”

“Is that why you resigned?”

“Yes, I couldn’t work with women who themselves are considered outcasts, who would turn away from someone who has such potential.”

Before that dream ended like all the others, Aislin felt that there was a chance of happiness. Afterward, it was just more disappointment.

“Even the Council of Elders insists that everyone fit properly in their roles. So, here I sit a boy, at least in the eyes of the villagers.”

“ That’s not true, Aislin.”

The young man looked surprised at that comment. “But everyone knows I’m a male, right?”

Ina shrugged. “I agree with Macha; there has always been some doubt. When your mother carried you, everyone assumed you were going to be a girl. Even growing up, there was quite a bit of confusion. So my dearest, coming out yesterday dressed in that beautiful gown pretty much made up everyone’s mind.”

“I see.” Aislin sat back, defeated. “So, what do I do now?”

Macha clapped her hands together. “We go through those trunks of yours and see what other outfits we can find for you.”

With Mistress Clar’s husband and son bringing the clothing trunk to his grandmother’s house the night before, the two began to go through the garments. Although Aislin thought he had plenty of time before the lunch with Sir Miles, Macha disagreed.

“Your mother had such lovely things.”

Nodding, he ran his hands over an emerald green outer dress. The two of them had already decided that green would be the color of the day.

“If you want, you can try on something.”

Macha smiled. “I don’t think so; her clothing was made for someone, well not as large.”

Aislin looked down at his chest, comparing it to his friend. Blushing, he turned away. “I guess I’m closer to my mother’s size than I thought.”

“I can’t see how you ever thought you were a boy with those big hips of yours.”

“What, they’re not big.” He turned around in a huff.

Giggling, Macha reached over and held them with two hands. “True, but trust me in this, no boy ever had hips like these.”

The two of them stared at one another for a second, then began to laugh.

Turning away, Macha started to go through some of the jewelry. “What do you think of the Knights?”

“You mean Miles and Nevan?”

“Unless you know of two others.”

Aislin gave a half-smile. “They are nice, and I really do like the attention they give me.”

“So, does that mean you like boys?” Macha bit her lip while setting out some nice pieces for him to try on later.

Smiling, Aislin looked down at the young girl. He could tell that she was nervously waiting for an answer. All he could do was be honest with her and with himself. “I don’t dislike them.”

Finding it strange that thought didn’t disturb him, before meeting the two Knights; he never really gave it much thought.

“I see what about girls.”

“Can’t say I dislike them either.”

Macha smiled, then reached over and kissed him deeply. “Good.”

“Sorry, am I interrupting something?” Rowena walked into the room and stopped, seeing the two of them in each other’s arms.

“You are, but don’t worry about it. I’m assuming by your outfit that you’re here to assist her ladyship in getting properly dressed for her luncheon with Sir Miles?”

Macha examined the other girl, dressed in most likely her best dress, conceded that she was pretty. Still, there was no way this simple village girl was going to outshine her Aislin today.

“Her?” Rowena looked confused for a moment and then turned Aislin. “Does she know?”

“Yes, everything. Besides Rowena, the village Elders have already declared that it's no longer appropriate for Lady here to dress as a boy anymore.”

Aislin sighed. “True, although I guess I could.”

“No you’re not, look at these outfits.” Macha looked distraught. “Why in the world you would want to ever dress like a boy again is beyond me.”

Aislin laughed, touching the green outer dress once more, they were nice clothes. “Alright, fine, doesn't matter now anyway.”

“Good now, sit down; let’s do something with that hair of yours. You can’t wear it the same way you wore it last night.”

Rowena watched the two, her heart feeling heavy. She couldn't remember if Aislin smiled that way for her. Did she smile that way for Sir Nevan and Sir Miles as well?

Looking at her clothes, the Rowena felt embarrassed. In the morning, as her mother set out the new dress, she was so excited how lovely she would look. Now, looking at Aislin’s clothes, her jewels, the way she held herself; it didn’t seem fair.

How could her friend, who she always considered a boy, be so beautiful? Days before, she was going to offer him a place in her household at the Keep, and now it appeared that the roles might be reversed. No, it didn’t seem fair at all.

--0--

On the far side of the Castle on the edge of Loche Glas, a group of young men and women stood on a small slope while watching Sir Miles dine with Lady Aislin. Rumors already flew around the castle, stating that both Knights were vying for her affection.

Moreover, if there were a chance that she might become the next Lady Lochlainn, then the household servants would make sure that her lunch was perfect.

Rowena, on the other hand, stood nervously away from the others, as Sir Miles and Aislin spoke across the table. She couldn’t comprehend why Aislin didn’t appear nervous speaking with the Knight as if it was something that happened every day.

“You are Lady Aislin’s servant, correct?” A large woman, with a pitcher in her hand, walked up to Rowena.

“I guess.”

The women frowned. “Child, either you are, or you aren't.”

“Yes.”

“Good here.” She set the pitcher in the young woman’s hand. “Your lady commented that she enjoyed last night’s raspberry wine. Why don’t you keep her cup filled, while we get ready for the next course?”

Nodding, Rowena took the pitcher and walked over to Aislin. Without thinking, the young girl began to pour just as her friend reached for the cup, spilling wine all over her sleeve.

“Be careful there, girl, that outfit costs more than your entire village.” Sir Miles barked angrily, almost making her drop the pitcher of wine on the ground.

“I’m sorry.”

“Being sorry is not going to replace the dress.”

“It’s fine, Miles, nothing more than a little wine.” While another servant helped clean the mess, Aislin looked at her friend. Leaning over, she whispered, “Are you alright?”

Rowena nodded. “I’m sorry, just nervous.”

With a smile, Aislin took the pitcher of wine out of her hands and placed it on the table. “Miles, can you give us a moment?”

“Of course, dear lady, anything you desire.” Turning he growled, “I knew he couldn't stay away. Here comes Nevan.”

Aislin laughed. “Why don’t you greet him while I talk to my friend?”

Off to the side, she reached for her hands, but Rowena pulled them back.

“It wouldn't look proper.”

“I see.” Aislin sighed, feeling bad. Without even being asked, Rowena had been forced to come along.

Aislin really wanted the two of them to have lunch at the table along with Sir Miles but understood that would be impossible. She tried to explain, but it just seemed to make Rowena more uncomfortable.

“Do you want to go home? I would understand.”

“What, walk?”

“No, I would ask someone to take you back to the village.”

Rowena shook her head. “No, my mother insisted that I help. As Master Organ’s wife, I will most like be one of Sir Nevan’s mother’s attendants.”

Master Oran had explained to her parents that he planned to introduce her to Lady Gweneira as soon as his Lordship returned,

“So you’re not angry with me?”

“What no, sorry, I’m just nervous, Aislin. Please go back to your lunch.”

Standing away from the group, Rowena felt her chest feel heavy once more as Aislin gave a curtsey to Sir Nevan. In turn, the Knight laughed, bowed, and kissed her hand. Why was this happening, Aislin wasn't even a real girl.

Taking a seat, Sir Nevan motioned to one of the servants for a cup of wine and a plate of food.

“So, are you planning on joining us this afternoon as well?” Miles asked while sopping up the last bit of gravy from his plate.

“I do unless I get called away again.”

“Is everything alright?” Aislin asked as she sipped her raspberry wine. Unlike the men, who plowed through more of the food, she was already stuffed.

Breaking off half a loaf of bread, the Knight nodded. “Nothing to worry about, I assure you. Just some last-minute details concerning that black marker we pulled out of the forest a few days ago.”

“I meant to ask you about that.”

Sir Miles smiled while pointing the finger at his cousin. “See, I told you she would ask. Her grandmother is the village’s Wisewomen after all.”

“Ignore this rascal; what did you want to ask.”

“Why did you move it? I mean, normally, such things are left alone.” Aislin hoped that she wasn't going to offend the Knights by simply asking that question. Thankfully, nothing had happened so far, so perhaps her fears were unwarranted.

“It wasn't by choice, I assure you.” Sir Nevan leaned back in his chair; he had ordered that the household only disturbed him over life or death emergencies.

With his cousin on the prowl, Sir Nevan didn’t want anything to distract him from his time with Aislin. “The Royal Thaumaturgist commanded my father to bring it to the Capitol.”

“Master Maolmuire?”

“Do you know him?” Sir Miles asked, intrigued. Apparently she seemed well informed of the goings-on inside the realm; not a surprise from the daughter of a merchant house.

“No only by reputation. Why would he want one of the standing stones? His power comes from summoning spirits and elementals to do his bidding.”

Sir Nevan smiled. “I’m afraid I wasn't given that much information.”

Aislin flushed with embarrassment. “I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to pry. It’s just that playing with such things has never turned out well.”

The young knight gave Aislin a warm smile. “No, I’m happy you asked. It shows that you are concerned for the well-being of the villagers and those who live in the castle.”

“It’s as my cousin said, were not informed of the why. Perhaps we should have spoken to you or your grandmother first. By what you are implying, we were indeed fortunate that nothing happened with us disinterring the stone.”

Sir Nevan looked at his cousin and rolled his eyes, then frowned. “Your grandmother, I've meant to ask, is she a relation by blood?”

The young woman looked surprised at the question. “No, my mother made her my guardian before she died.”

“So, you have no relatives in the village?”

“No.”

“I think your mother was very wise to make your grandmother, your guardian.”

Aislin smiled. “I think so, too, Miles.”

Sir Nevan scratched his chin. Apparently, she had been safe in the village all these years. What transpired to force her mother to flee from the north, he didn’t know. What he did know was that a simple village Wisewomen offered no real protection.

First, he would need to speak with his mother, explaining Aislin’s plight. The young man knew his mother well enough that she would be shocked to find that a gentlewoman lived in a villager’s cottage.

Secondly, he would enlist the help of his sister to convince Aislin to move into the castle. That shouldn't be too difficult. Both young women would be excited to find someone of their own age and similar social standings to talk to. Finally, the young knight would need to convince his father.

Sir Nevan believed that after introducing Aislin to his parents, they would agree that she be the perfect choice for the next Lady Lochlainn.

up
308 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

nice so far

if a little confusing. I expect the next chapter up tomorrow.

nice so far

Elsbeth's picture

Thanks, glad your liking it. Next chapter took a couple of extra days though. :)

Thanks for reading

-Elsbeth

Is fearr Gaeilge briste, ná Béarla clíste.

Broken Irish is better than clever English.

A boy no more?

She is unfolding as a woman, abet one with a minor defect. But the Knights still are a concern, as is the stone.

DogSig.png

‹ The Sacrificial Boy : Chapter 4

Love Macha...not liking Rowena much...good chapter

++++++++++++
Cartman: A fine day of plundering we had boys. What about yourselves? Here you are lads, plenty of booty to go around. A round of grog for me boys. A round of grog for everyone!

As Easy as it-

is to dislike Rowena, her reaction is understandable. Young girl raised in a very conservative environment, just doesn't deal with anything strange or different. I seem to remember an old saw about how anything strange or different was bad from the eyes of bare subsistence villagers' eyes. Her pushing him away as a mate was understandable even if her family was against it too. More worrisome is the green poison of envy that's beginning to pool in her heart.

Macha is a much more likable character, but she's also somewhat more worldly than Rowena.

We do know Aislin is intersexed although not the degree. The question as to why he was denied training as his Grandmother's apprentice was answered too. It occurs to me we don't know if it was just his sex that was the objection or his family history. Could've been both.

There's this train wreck in progress. Everyone was told Aislin is male but they refuse to accept that. I can see Rowena's envy causing the de-railment as they all blame Aislin for their own failings and blindness. With very few exceptions I can't feel too sorry about the firestorm I see happening when this all ignites. Hmmm... is the 'marker' going to be the 'spark' to set this mess ablaze?

Wonderful stuff!
hugs
Grover

she's also somewhat more worldly than Rowena.

Elsbeth's picture

Very true, her grandmother being a Court Healer and traveling with her has given Macha (like Aislin) a much better world view. Rowena hasn't been as far as the next village, so her world view is pretty much the village she lives in.

Thanks for reading

-Elsbeth

Is fearr Gaeilge briste, ná Béarla clíste.

Broken Irish is better than clever English.

Love the story

I loved the story,I am waiting anxiously for more. ....Aislin ran toward the obelisk the full moon shining over head.....in the moon light she read the inscription......a flash sent her fling.....the sorceress in her was set free.
She how my mind wanders (giggle).
Love and Hugs Hanna

Love And Hugs Hanna
((((((((♥)))))))((((((((♥)))))))((((((((♥)))))))((((((((♥)))))))((((((((♥)))))))
Blessed Be
2889.jpg

in the moon light she read the inscription.....

Elsbeth's picture

I like it, although I might have something else in mind :) Thanks for reading. I'm happy your enjoying the story

-Elsbeth

Is fearr Gaeilge briste, ná Béarla clíste.

Broken Irish is better than clever English.

So she is intersexed?

From the information given, that would seem to be the most logical answer. Of course, if her mother was trying to protect her, raising her as a boy was a crafty manouver. Some of us know about having an enlarged clitorus mistaken for a penis.

Thank you for continuing this series. I think I like this story the best of your work.

Gwendolyn

Gwendolyn

Elsbeth's picture

The short answer wold be yes. Thank you very much, i'm pleased your liking the story. BTW I like the new drawing in your sig.

Thanks for reading

-Elsbeth

Is fearr Gaeilge briste, ná Béarla clíste.

Broken Irish is better than clever English.

Black marker is either a whopping great red herring or pivotal

She is too female in her appearance and manner to be a male other than her seeming penis.

I wonder will the marker change her into her true body?

I also worry her former long time childhood friend is about to become an enemy.

And we have the elephant in the room. WHY and WHERE and from WHAT was the late mother fleeing? She must have come from a family of wealth and power what with the jewels and fine clothing she magaged to flee with. That the knight and that family are looking into Aislin's past, is that ultimately a good thing or dangerous for her?

So is there this one overall mystery/plot or several going on? Is his demanding they dig up and bring the marker to him a sign of a power play by the court wizard?

And what of the Wise Women's counsil? The *grandmother* is training her apprentice yet we learn grandmother resigned when they refused her training Aislin.

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

red herring or pivotal

Elsbeth's picture

Good questions as always, hope the next chapter answered a few although Im sure they made a few more :)

Thanks for reading

-Elsbeth

Is fearr Gaeilge briste, ná Béarla clíste.

Broken Irish is better than clever English.

The Sacrificial Boy : Chapter 4

Does Aislin have some sort of power? Can Aislin's Guardian help by taking care of the plumbing problem?

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Does Aislin have some sort of power?

Elsbeth's picture

Yes like her grandmother she does have the healing touch. Massive changes to the body is beyond their magic.

Thanks for reading

-Elsbeth

Is fearr Gaeilge briste, ná Béarla clíste.

Broken Irish is better than clever English.

Multiple dangers

Jemima Tychonaut's picture

If politics, envy, the question of Aislin's physical sex, whatever mystery relates to her family history or being killed as a boy as a levy don't get Aislin then there is the ominous Master Maolmuire and his plans for the black marker. So not good on so many fronts! Which makes for a great story. :-)

Although I can see the danger of Rowena's envy I'm not finding myself hating her. If anything it's more a case of pity for her. As the daughter of the village chief she expected to marry well and help her friend by bringing him into her service and thereby sparing him from death as a levy. All very noble. She still will marry well but Aislin's potential meteoric rise to being the Lady of Lochlainn suddenly throws that all into the shade and finds Rowena potentially ending up in Aislin's service. How she handles that will be key but it's not looking promising.

Thanks for another enjoyable chapter in this story Elsbeth. :-)



"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."

I'm not finding myself hating her

Elsbeth's picture

I agree, its difficult for the top girl in the village to find that she is now playing second fiddle to her old boyfriend. :) Your right in that Aislin had a few dangers ahead of her.

Thanks for reading

-Elsbeth

Is fearr Gaeilge briste, ná Béarla clíste.

Broken Irish is better than clever English.

I think I'm right along with the others here.

Rowe could be trouble or just hurting from the karma of how she pushed her friend aside only to have "her" being so much more than what she thought. But the court mage...he's the one that worries me.
*Big Hugs*
Bailey.

Bailey Summers

Yes, Aislin is in a pickle

... and a rock and a hard place etc.

I agree magic will come into play and Aislin will play some unknown role that will be critical to the life of the nation. Such a rigorous caste stratification system though!

Kim

One’s identity

Elsbeth's picture

True, traditionally you have those that fight, those that pray and those that work. In the Middle Ages, everyone had a place. One’s identity was linked to kinship, class, and faith; ignoring these threatened society and were dealt with very harshly.

Thanks for reading

-Elsbeth

Is fearr Gaeilge briste, ná Béarla clíste.

Broken Irish is better than clever English.

summoning spirits

I hope that magician does not plan on using the black marker to summon the sorceresses spirit. There is no way something like that will end well.

"we can turn it all around, because it's not too late, it's NEVER too late" -(never too late, Three Days Grace)

Wow... I get the feeling that

Wow... I get the feeling that this is going to end badly. If things are not properly managed this has all the earmarks of a proper disaster, and that is not counting the possibility of magic getting involved.

Nice.

Heather

We are the change that will save the world.

Was Aislin's mother more than just a rich merchant's daughter?

It may be that her place in the social strata proves to be way above that of sir Nevin and sir Miles. Did Aislin's mother turn her back on her family heritage and flee to the village to protect Aislin from some dire threat?

Will the bond between Aislin and Macha continue to grow and withstand the trials to come? I am looking forward to future chapters.

_Bev_

rich merchant's daughter?

Elsbeth's picture

Perhaps, check the next chapter :) Thanks for reading, im happy your liking the story.

-Elsbeth

Is fearr Gaeilge briste, ná Béarla clíste.

Broken Irish is better than clever English.

A Train Wreck in Slow-Motion

Grover, I hope ya don't mind but I'm amending your "train wreck" statement a bit. Where I'm from, we've always called something like this a "train wreck in slow motion." Seems a bit more apt a description in my mind, as these events are taking days to build up and I suspect that there's plenty more train cars that have yet to de-rail in this particular wreck.

Now, it's probably jsut that it doesn't come up often in the style of story that I usually read, but I believe that this is only the second time that I've seen an inersexed individual play the role of the protagionist (or any role at all, that I can recall) in a story, with Ayla from Whateley being the other. Needless to say, I didn't see it coming so congrats to you on that note Elsbeth.

All told, another wonderful chapter in which certain roles are reversed and a few people learn a few things about midevil society.

Peace be with you and Blessed be

Well Elsbeth....

It looks like the holes a little deeper if anything! Oh and do I sense a little jealousy from Rowena? Hmmm. Nice Elsbeth, keep'em comin'. (Hugs) Taarpa

keep'em comin

Elsbeth's picture

Thanks Im happy your liking the story, thanks for reading

hugs

-Elsbeth

Is fearr Gaeilge briste, ná Béarla clíste.

Broken Irish is better than clever English.

My, my.

Even more complications for poor Aislin.

Rowena's admitted jealousy, and to be honest here, I don't hate her either. Just a product of her times and culture in the important respects there to be truthful. Her self admitted jealousy is just another part of that, I think. What I think is the crux in that, before all this new stuff happened, was she abandoned a lifelong friend in a lot of respects but again that comes down to culture and upbringing. Though she had planned to take Aislin into her household to protect and help him in spite of what she knew and in the times that was pretty courageous and caring on her part. Being different in that kind of society, especially in a small village, was not good and at times dangerous for not only the person who was different but their friends as well.

The court mage and the black stone. Now that could be bad news all around but I'm holding my initial response back on that one for now.

And now, one of the knights is seriously thinking of trying to marry Aislin along with the rest of the village demanding that she start dressing like the girl they all think she is. I see a lot of (very real) headaches in addition to the figurative ones coming for Aislin here.

Wow, you really got things stirred up with this chapter.

At least Macha is still Aislin's friend and maybe more even after she found out about the intersex thing.

Maggie

headaches

Elsbeth's picture

Very true, she is going to need to juggle quite a few things very soon. Rowena, is not handling it well, surprises and new things is not something she is comfortable with.

Thanks for reading

-Elsbeth

Is fearr Gaeilge briste, ná Béarla clíste.

Broken Irish is better than clever English.

I think Aislin needs

A different and/or wiser wisewomyn. I take it that her vagina is covered, hopefully with just a layer of skin and her clit is oversized. It sounds like very simple surgery could help a lot or even be "good enough" for the other locals. The problem is that any wound could become infected and lead to death if no one has any idea about either sterilization (alcohol?) or effective herbal antibiotics.

She herself has good herbal knowledge, but it seems too much for her to do her own labiaplasty! Of course, there is always magic as a last resort!

Great story! I'm loving it.

Hugs and Bright Blessings,
Renee

A different and/or wiser wisewomyn

Elsbeth's picture

Lets see surgery without anesthesia or antibiotics vs magic. Ill take magic and skip septicaemia. :) I'm happy your liking the story

Thanks for reading

-Elsbeth

Is fearr Gaeilge briste, ná Béarla clíste.

Broken Irish is better than clever English.

Page Turner

Cindy Lou's picture

Love the individual character development. This is a page turner of quality. Thank you.

The twists and turns are fun. I like the facts hidden until an appropriate time. I don't think Aislin's continued blindness and disbelief are overdone in his "coming of age". So much is totally believable.

If you are open to editorial comments... Every once in a while I go crazy with pronouns. Of course I have the same difficulty as the villagers hearing he and seeing she; but that's fun. It's other he - she confusing modifiers. The second to the last paragraph of chapter four I had to read four times and then once aloud before getting part of it. I'm still not sure where three girls the same age come from. Maybe I'm tired, but I count mother, Nevan's sister, and Aislin... two young uns.

Again, maybe I'm too sleepy, but the phrase "What transpired to force her mother to flee from the mother," has me stumped.

Hope that's constructive. I could be more specific if asked.

I am enjoying this thoroughly and took the laptop to bed with me last night. Sure is hard to read sideways.