Victorian Days & Nights : Chapter 6

Printer-friendly version
Victorian Days & Nights

by:
Elsbeth


Magic & Mayhem in Victorian England

Victorian.png

Chapter 6

As the carriage made its way through the London streets, Brigit watched Lady Kinsley out of the corner of her eye. The two were alone; the rest of the group following in another carriage. If Erin was uncomfortable with Brigit forcing herself into the carriage she didn’t show it. The others though, especially Osgar, were quite put out. She would have to apologize later.

“It’s been some time since you and I have spoken without the others, Brigit. Tell me, are they treating you well?”

Brigit gave a half smile then shrugged. “As well as can be expected; The Fae are still not totally comfortable with my presence.”

“Give it a century or two.” Erin laughed. “Still, you should be proud of your accomplishments. You have managed to keep the peace, unlike your predecessor, although Master Kern was not totally at fault. As you are well aware not every ambassador has fared well.”

The Irish Sorceress nodded. Unfortunately, it was all too common for a mortal to succumb to the whim of some Fae or another. Thankfully, her Fae patron held significant influence in the old Summer Court. The Court’s power in this world might be waning, however, one would be foolish to think they were without resources, “They speak highly of you.”

“Of me?” Lady Kinsley frowned in confusion. Her personal dealings with the Fae up to this point had been few and far between.

“Yes, they have expressed their opinion on any number of occasions that they wish to remain in your good will.”

“My personal good will, not the Society’s.” When Brigit nodded, Erin gave a small laugh then turned away. “I see.”

Brigit knew something had changed drastically since Michael’s transformation. No, the Fae didn’t just speak highly of Lady Kinsley; they spoke of her as if she was considered their equal or at times their better. Brigit was with the Fae when the news reached her of Michael’s wife’s death and his apparent transformation. At the time, the Court wouldn’t give her the time of day, however that soon changed. Members of the Court soon began to ask her opinion on topics that touched upon the mortal world. They went out of their way to make sure that whatever decision was made, that Lady or Lord Kinsley would approve. Brigit shook her head. No, they rarely spoke of Michael it was always Erin.

The Irish Sorceress looked at Lady Kinsley, who was looking out the window apparently lost in thought. “You remind me of them.” Frightened, Brigit tried to move deeper into her seat as Erin turned around. “I don’t think anyone else notices.” She whispered. At first, the Irish Sorceress thought it was her imagination but when Lady Kinsley walked down the hill, the aura having no ill effect on her pieces simply fell into place. Brigit’s knew what she was feeling was correct. The person who sat across from her was not quite the same person that assigned her the role as ambassador.

“One of the benefits of living with the Fae.” Erin looked at her sadly. “Brigit, are you afraid of me?”

The Irish Sorceress opened to her mouth to deny it but then looked straight into Erin’s eyes. Hiding her face, she nodded. Why was she afraid, Michael was always kind to her? Not that Erin wasn’t, but something primeval inside the core of her very being trembled in fear.

Erin sighed sadly. “Do you wish to go back to the Fae?”

To think that Brigit was comfortable with the inhuman Fae but not with Erin made the Irish Sorceress object a little too loudly. “No please don’t!”

Erin looked at her in surprise. Brigit covered her mouth, shocked that she yelled at Lady Kinsley. Then they both began to laugh, at the absurdity. “Please don’t send me away.” Brigit pleaded, tears running down her face. “Please let me remain.”

Surprised at the sudden turn of events, Lady Kinsley pulled a beautiful embroidered handkerchief from her purse and began to softly wipe the tears from her friend’s face. With warmth in her eyes and voice, she said. “If that is what you wish, then it would be my honor.”

With the moon high in the night sky, Lord Michael leaned on his cane as he looked over the remains of the warehouse. He was pleased to discover that the Society had placed effective wards around the site keeping the curious away. Off to his side, Brigit and Leila now Luna, continued to warily stare at one another, shocked at being in each other’s presence. Their introduction at the Kinsley manor had been unreal. As soon as they spotted one another, Brigit without a thought ran over and hugged her old friend. Leila, who had for the most part been neglected, was shocked to discover that she joyfully returned the greeting. It lasted only a moment then the two literally leapt back. Brigit, who was more Fae than human and Luna who was now a Vampire didn’t know what to do with one another.

“Are we ready?” Lord Michael asked.

“Michael.”

“Yes, Luna.”

She signed, why couldn’t he call her by her real name. “Let me get this straight. You have ignored me for over two weeks and now you drag me out to this God forsaken place and expect me to help you without so much as a by your leave?” What she found fascinating and rather disturbing for those last two weeks she had had no inclination to feed. Now outside, she thought the red thirst would be driving her mad but for some reason she was sedated.

Michael turned towards her and frowned. “It hasn’t been two weeks?” Then he looked thoughtful before returning to his observation of the factory and warehouse.

Brigit covered her mouth and giggled. “Leila, you know how single minded he gets when there is something that needs to be done.”

After returning to the estate, it was quite a surprise when a smartly dressed Lord Kinsley walked into the dining room and not Erin, who had left sometime earlier. Their meal and conversation was light, mostly small talk before departing. Brigit tried to press Michael for more information on the curse, but he refused to speak about it. He also refused to speak about turning into a girl. Unlike Erin who didn’t mind talking about it, Michael was decidedly unhelpful. Nevertheless, no matter how light the conversation, the atmosphere between Michael and Leila was strained. Although the Vampire didn’t eat it was painfully obvious that she relished her time with her husband. To Brigit it was almost too painful to watch. Part of her wanted to pound some sense into Michael; the other half understood. Michael too was in pain. What she didn’t understand was how Erin was involved in all of this. Lady Kinsley was decidedly neutral when it came to Michael’s wife. Erin was Michael, that much was certain, however it was a strange duality. A duality that gave the Irish Sorceress much to think about. Thankfully, neither of them objected to her following them. She knew if given the chance she could be of great use to both of them.

“Gods, he is so infuriating sometimes.”

“Men usually are.” Brigit smiled at her friend, who returned a toothy grin. For a brief moment, it was as if the last four years had not taken place. It was not to last.

“Don’t…dawdle.” The red headed twins commented as they moved past the two to stand by Lord Michael.

Brigit jumped back. Leila just scowled. At least the two women still had one thing in common, neither of them liked the overly possessive twins. To think they were merely chambermaids was laughable. “Don’t you have rooms to clean?” Leila commented rather nastily.

“Brigit, please come over here and hold my hand.”

“Sorry?” Brigit said, not quite understanding what he needed. She couldn't hold his hand, especially with Leila standing right next to her,

“If you wish to join us ...hold his hand.” The twins said, obviously annoyed.

“Girls.” Michael chastised his smaller companions. “Brigit, they are correct. We need to be touching otherwise you will have to remain here.”

Blushing, the Irish Sorceress moved forward to hold Lord Michael’s hand.

Suddenly, Leila leaped forward and linked her arm with her husband. “You refuse to speak to me but you’re willing to hold hands with Brigit?”

Michael opened his mouth, and then let out a exasperated sigh. “Leila, you know as well as I that touch is necessary.”

The Vampire’s eyes opened wide, then she stepped back with a huge smile on her face. “You called me Leila.”

Lord Kinsley just scowled.

Laughing, the Vampire turned to her friend. “Brigit, I expect you to keep him out of trouble.”

Brigit smiled as well, happy for her friend’s small victory.

“You are…not…joining us?” The twins sounded happy.

“What? I can’t if I’m not holding Michael’s hand.”

“You're already dead...how can this hurt you?” The twins began to walk down the hill, immediately followed by Lord Kinsley and Brigit.

Leila just stood there staring at the group as they walked awat. If she was already dead and it was necessary for Brigit to hold Lord Kinsley for protection, who or what exactly were the twins?

Authors Notes: A special thanks to djkauf for a little elvish editing. If you like the story please leave a Kudos, if you have the time I would love to hear from you. Thanks to all for reading! - Elsbeth

up
130 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Good Chapter

things are getting interesting

++++++++++++
Cartman: A fine day of plundering we had boys. What about yourselves? Here you are lads, plenty of booty to go around. A round of grog for me boys. A round of grog for everyone!

"...who or what exactly were the twins?"

Aye, that's the question. Are they active figures here in whatever's going on, or just liaisons of some sort? (And if the latter, from whom?) Do they have something to do with maintaining the Kinsley curse? IIRC, we haven't actually seen them do anything, other than as domestic servants.

Looking forward to learning more.

Eric

"...who or what exactly were the twins?"

Elsbeth's picture

all good questions :) im glad your liking the story.

thanks

-Elsbeth

Is fearr Gaeilge briste, ná Béarla clíste.

Broken Irish is better than clever English.

Assumptions

It seems that most of the characters have made certain assumptions and that we along with them are unraveling them to get to the truth.

The Fae I'm familiar with would have no tolerance for one who was so foolish to tee-off a goddess and got curse for his impertinence. However, one who have received a powerful blessing would be a different story. Perhaps, even someone who lost in pain thought and believed that blessing to be otherwise.

As for their 'troubles' it seems someone has been opening doors that should remain shut.

The Victorian age, the age of reason, but it was also host to the infamous mystics like Aleister Crowley and his like. You've caught that vibe, conflict, between the two just right.

Of course I'm going to have re-read this whole thing to really get the full effect. :)

hugs
Grover

Indeed...

There are more than a few characters in this story that have assumed quite a bit. It seems that while some of my questions have been answered, more have cropped up in their place. I look forward to seeing where the plot-threads in this story go. As Grover said, you have gotten the vibe of the are just right. Please keep it up, Elsbeth. ^_^

Peace be with you and Blessed be

Victorian Days & Nights : Chapter 6

The twins could be a manifestation of the curse on Lord/Lady Kinsley. But why the Fae honor them is a mystery.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Victorian Days & Nights : Chapter 6

Elsbeth's picture

Well not necessarily the twins, more like Erin but perhaps both?

Thanks for reading

-Elsbeth

Is fearr Gaeilge briste, ná Béarla clíste.

Broken Irish is better than clever English.