Victorian Days & Nights : Chapter 5

Printer-friendly version
Victorian Days & Nights

by:
Elsbeth


Magic & Mayhem in Victorian England

Victorian.png

Chapter 5

Rachael sat down on the burnt grass holding her head. Like most of the others, she appeared to be unnaturally affected by the sight. Below the hill, overlooking the Thames stood an abandoned factory. What was out of the ordinary was that everything around the warehouse for dozens of yards was dead. There was no life, no plants, no animals, nothing at all. However, it’s not just the lack of life that concerned the magi, but somehow its mere presence was verging on breaking an ancient pact.

Looking up, Rachel grimaced at her twin sister. As much as she loved and missed her sister, for her to suddenly appear was an ill omen. Brigit was the Society’s intermediary between the mortal world and the Otherworld of the Fae. Showing up unannounced stating that the Fae were ready to start a war put the already unnerved Society into the state of panic. Most Fae had long passed into Tir Na ná“g, the Undying lands, but those that remained were ancient beings having very little use for the mortal race as a whole. The consequences for those beings to leave their ancient hiding places would be disastrous for the modern world.

Osgar rubbed his head. ‘Unnatural…why all the fuss with the fair folk, Brigit? I would expect them to be more upset with the new rail line being laid up towards Manchester.”

Brigit grimaced; the laying of the railroads was an endless nightmare for the remaining Fae. Unbeknownst to most, the Society spent great lengths at manipulating the directions some of the rail lines would take. “Your right, Osgar, but this is different.” If it wasn’t the rail lines, it was the telegraph; no wonder most of the Fae fled the world.

“In what way?” Rachael smiled as her sister began to rub her head.

“I don’t know but this is old. In addition, the Fae are being unusually quiet, even more than usual, about the details.”

From atop the hill the group looked down at their leader who was already half-way down the hill. To no one’s surprise, the only one who didn’t seem bothered by the warehouse’s aura was Lady Kinsley.

With a small wave of a hand, Erin threw her senses out. She frowned for a moment none of it made any sense. The magics now cast by humans were nothing compared to the Fae but this magic touch was neither. However, what happened here was most definitely a magical event. It was if the gates of Tartaros were left opened. The very thought made her shiver. “The magi was neither human nor Fae.” There were other powers best left forgotten. If they were involved then a war with the Fae would seem like an afternoon rugby match at Sandhurst.

Bridget nodded. “I thought so as well. What I surmise is that the pact might not even be between the humans and Fae...however.”

“However, they expect us to take care of it, correct?”

“Typical.” Osgar growled. The Fae were difficult to understand even at the best of times. They were so ancient and non-human. Their thoughts were so different most members of the Society were impressed that Brigit had not gone mad.

Erin took several more steps down the hill, as if she was taking a leisurely stroll through Trafalgar Square. Reaching a set of stairs, she suddenly stopped. “Rebecca, please take your sister and speak with Professor Hopkins. I am positive he would be delighted to observe this phenomenon. Have him bring a full team down to ward the site as well. He may study it ...” Lady Kinsley raised a finger in the air. “However, no one may enter the grounds without my permission. “ The Wards would keep almost everyone from approaching the site. Elemental watchers would report if anyone with power decided to visit the warehouse again.

“He won’t be liking that.” Osgar smiled looking down at Lady Kinsley. He took a few steps forward but stopped, the feeling of lethargy pulled at him. By sheer strength of will, the former Sergeant remained upright.

“No choice, really.” Rebecca grimaced. Why did it sap everyone’s strength and why was Lady Kinsley unaffected. Looking up she caught her sister’s eye, she too was thinking the same thing.

Osgar’s eyes opened wide as Lady Kinsley started to walk down the stairs. “You’re not thinking of going down there are you, my Lady?”

Surprised how far she walked beyond the group, Erin stopped her descent and looked up at Osgar. “Perhaps you’re right, Sergeant, that might be exceedingly unwise.”

Once again, she paused in her movement forward but thankfully, Lady Kinsley finally turned around and began to walk back up the hill.

Osgar asked, pleased that Lady Kinsley was returning.“So you’re thinking this has something to do with our new friends?”

Erin frowned. "Perhaps, I agree there is too much happening at once to be mere coincidence. How it all fit together is the issue that needs to be resolved and quickly."

“Whatever this is why does it affect us in this way?” Rebecca slowly picked herself up off the ground. Thankfully, her sister was close, as the Irish mage almost sat back down. “Seems to be affecting me most of all.” Turning her head, she looked at her sister. “Why me and not you, dear sister?”

“Living with the Fae has certain advantages.” She wouldn’t say she was totally unaffected. Perhaps part of her was still human; it was difficult to tell sometimes. Once identical twins, Bridget was now more like younger sister. Bridget had scarcely aged since heading off deep into the ancient woods of Cornwall. Besides her lack of aging, she was also getting this unworldly look to her, a complete opposite to Black Jack who appeared to be in his sixties but was in fact not even thirty.

“Too many pieces.” Lady Kinsley mumbled to herself as she gave the warehouse one more look then turned away. Once again, this felt familiar, but it was as if it was a memory that wasn’t hers.

Authors Notes: A special thanks to djkauf for a little elvish editing. If you like the story please leave a Kudos, if you have the time I would love to hear from you. Thanks to all for reading! - Elsbeth
.

up
123 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Argh!

Clues, clues, clues, but not enough to really get a handle on things! I feel like a kid with a chocolate fit. I want more! ;)
hugs
Grover

And people accuse me of being complex.

Wow, so many questions, so many clues left lying around if you just look. But they don't add up yet into an answer.

Great job on this one.

Maggie

Victorian Days & Nights : Chapter 5

What effect will this have on the future? And what Fey are here? Are there other Unseen such as vampires and weres and magic users?

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Victorian Days & Nights : Chapter 5

wonder who the other powers are...interesting chapter

++++++++++++
Cartman: A fine day of plundering we had boys. What about yourselves? Here you are lads, plenty of booty to go around. A round of grog for me boys. A round of grog for everyone!

Well then...

Here's what I've noticed thus far (and do keep in mind, this is just what I am able to remember off hand and they are in no particular order):

1) The warehouse that Lady Kinsley is at in the start of the story seems to have some sort of magical residue left behind from what I would assume is some sort of forbidden magic. All of the dead grass surrounding the building and the fact that it seems to be sapping the strength out of anyone (or anything) alive leads me to believe that it is more than likely necromancy or something similar. This may or may not be related to the appearance of the Fair Folk within the story. And speaking of them...

2) The Fair Folk themselves: I've heard it said that they are wonderful, for they inspire wonder. I've also heard it said that they are terrific, for they inspire terror as well. Their ways are not our own and their minds work differently. What I would like to know is more about the structure of their society. Like, for example, are they divided into the Summer and Winter Courts? Is Elsbeth basing them off of Irish/Scottish mythology or is she getting the info on them from some other source. No matter which way it goes, they are always a cause for concern as they aren’t usually fond of Humanity as a whole and are usually amoral at best, by human standards.

3) The Prime Minister: He doesn't seem too overly fond of the Society for reasons that are unknown to us at this time. These reason may be plausible motivation for him to have sabotaged something within the Society's investigations of the occurrences in and around the Industrial District of London. And while I’m on that particular topic...

4) Strange occurrences in out of the way areas: This kind of thing usually ends up being related to some nasty business being done by some seedy group with nefarious purposes. And while these kinds of groups might be a dime a dozen, there are a few that one would do well to avoid.

5) The fact that Lady Kinsley could walk into the aura (or whatever is surrounding the building) almost like it was nothing... I’m not going to lie, I definitely had a WTF moment when reading that part. Is it related to her “condition” with regards to her “brother” or is there some other reason for this? The fact that the Sarge was willing to remain standing "By sheer strength of will." This is, though, only after a few steps into the area affected by the magic.

6) The fact that the magic at the factory was neither human nor Fae in nature and the mention of Tartaros. This leaves me to wonder if the Tartaros in question is the same one from Greek mythology or if it is a different place all together and that these powers "best left forgotten" are ones that are "spawned of a certain kind of madness," as it were.

Yes, I know I’ve missed a few things that are probably worth mentioning, like the people after Luna and her whole situation, but I’m not going to re-read all five chapters looking for them for I am feeling lazy like that. :P

Elsbeth, another excellent chapter and I’m looking forward to getting some answers to these points and questions, and the ones I didn’t mention as well.

Peace be with you and Blessed be