Jessica's Journey - Part 7

Printer-friendly version

--SEPARATOR--

Jessica’s Journey

Sequel to Andrews Dilemma

By, Cain129

Part 7

Special Thanks to Wren Phoenix for the editing.

--SEPARATOR--

Synopsis: After her father’s funeral, Jessica was approached by her uncle James Roberts. Words were said which resulted in Jessica being assaulted. After seeing Jessica lying on the ground, Scotty completely lost it and beat James so bad that he ended up being hospitalized.

Later that night at the hospital, the police officer assigned to watch James left his post to help the hospital staff deal with an unruly patient, which allowed a mysterious visitor dressed as a nurse to enter James’ room and inject an unknown drug into his IV.

As the contents of the vial begin working their way into his bloodstream, he became completely paralyzed and unable to do anything to resist as the nurse took his pillow and used it to muffle the sound of James’ desperate calls for help. As his body slowly became still, the nurse said the last four words James heard.

  

“Nobody hurts my Daughter.”

--SEPARATOR--

Chapter 18

 

It was 2:30 in the morning as Janice lay in bed, unable to sleep after the events that had occurred. That fact Jessica had been hurt left her feeling angry and wanting justice. James Roberts was a bully and a monster. Janice feared that he would likely end up getting nothing more than a slap on his wrist for what he had done to Jessica. In the process of his prosecution, James would do anything he could to make Jessica’s life miserable. Janice had never wanted to hurt anyone, but this was different her family was being threatened by this man and she doubted that it would end with any jail time.  

Janice knew that he would eventually be released and come looking for her daughter, just like his brother Jake had. This was what bothered her the most. She couldn’t handle that again, she wanted him dead and buried. In her mind, she could picture so many different ways that she could cause it to happen. The question was, could she do such a thing? If you had asked her six months ago, the answer would’ve been no, but how far could a mother be pushed, and how far would she go to protect her child?

Janice slowly climbed out of bed, careful not to wake up Anthony. She dressed quietly, and then headed downstairs. She knew that she wasn’t going to get to sleep anytime soon, not with all the thoughts that were running though her mind. She needed to get out for a bit and clear her mind. It was late, but she really didn’t care what time it was. She had to get away for a bit, she said to herself as she put the car into drive. She started driving, not even sure where she was headed.

 

[-][+][-]

 

Meanwhile, across town Amy was stuck working another nightshift. She had been called in to replace another nurse who was off sick, and since she was on call she got stuck working the extra hours. Soon she would return home and meet up with Tara, Jessica and Scotty, and then they would head for the campground.

Amy knew that she would be spending most of her time in the back seat, trying to sleep until they arrived at the camp grounds. It was going to be a long 4 hour drive.

Her night had been going fine until she came across a familiar name on a patient’s chart.

The name was James Roberts. She wasn’t assigned as his nurse, but recognized him as   Jessica’s uncle, the one that had assaulted her. She wanted so badly to make him pay for what he had done to her friend, but the room was off limits to everyone other than his doctor and the nurse that was assigned to take care of him.

Amy was assigned to work in emergency. It was a quiet night for the most part until about 3AM, when one of the patients had to be escorted out of the building. It was nothing new, there were always a few troublesome patients coming in. This one was most likely a drug addict who hadn’t got what he wanted.

It took a couple of security guards and the help of the police officer that was watching James’ room to resolve the situation. The man left soon after he learned that the police were going to be involved. Amy was on her break at the time, and only heard about what happened after she returned from her break.

 

[-][+][-]

 

It was 3:30 am when the nurse assigned to James checked on him and was unable to wake him up. His chart showed him as stable, so there was really no reason why she would be having such a hard time bringing him around.

After checking for a pulse and unable to find one, she hit the emergency button and called for help. Within a few minute the doctor declared James dead, but he wouldn’t know more until the autopsy came back.

The only thing he did know was there was no previously known medical reason why he would have died, which left only one other likely answer. James Roberts had probably been murdered.

The police had arrived around 4AM and started their investigation. The detective assigned to the case was Kelly Steeves. She was one of the officers that had been called in to help with the police corruption scandal and had been with the RCMP for the past four years.   It had been a hard choice for her when she was offered a position with the OPP but it was a chance for her to finally make detective.

The only problem was that she didn’t really know who she could really trust within the department. Every day it seemed that internal affairs was arresting someone new within the OPP that had been part of Vincent’s criminal organization.   There were also a lot of people angry that she had been fast tracked to detective while they had been with the force for years.   

Kelly couldn’t even understand how her name ended up amongst the applicants either,

as she hadn’t even applied for the position, but the money was better. More importantly, it was a chance to become detective, which was something she had been working towards for the last 4 years. If she had chosen to remain with the RCMP, it was unlikely that she would have been promoted for another five years.

Still there was this nagging voice, deep down, that wondered why she has been asked.

Why, when there were so many other people that were more qualified than her? But that was a question for later. She had a job to do now, and the first thing she needed to do was talk to James Roberts’ doctor, and find out exactly who had access to James’ room.

It would still be a few hours before the results from the autopsy came back, so the cause of death was still officially unknown. All the signs lead her to believe that it was homicide. Everyone she had spoken to so far had said that James’ injuries were not life threatening, so her first question was how did he die?

There was also the commotion at 3:30 that had drawn the officer away from his post. Was it just a coincidence or part of a plan? Unfortunately, security had escorted him out of the building before anyone could question him. All they had to go by was the security footage which left little chance that they would identify him.

 

[-][+][-]

 

Meanwhile, downtown at the police station, Mason Johnston was settling into his new position as Chief of Police. He hadn’t really wanted the job, but he knew that he would finally have the power to clean up the police force. It was time to put this nasty police corruption scandal to rest, and get back to the business of protecting the city.

One of his first steps was to start bringing in personal from other police forces that would take up key positions. Most of the people he hired had a very good reputation and there were a few people that he knew personally. Kelly was one of them.

After the death of her father, Mason and his wife Arlene had pretty much raised her as their own.   Kelly’s father had been Mason’s partner for over 10 years. Kelly had become like a daughter to him, and because of this he had wanted her by his side. Mason had

desperately needed people he could trust.

It had been a hard job weeding out all the people that had been loyal to Vincent, but thanks to a mysterious journal that arrived on his desk, which contained the names of officers and public officials who had been on Vincent’s payroll, the job became much easier.   The one name that took everyone by surprise was that of the former police chief.

Mason had always known that the Chief was on Vincent’s payroll, but he could never prove it. He had proof now, in the form of bank records showing deposits that were made to the different offshore accounts.   Mason knew where the information was coming from, of course. There was only one man that would have access to that information; it had to have come from Rocco.

There was something going on though. Ever since Vincent’s death, the organization has gone completely quiet. Members that had been loyal to Vincent had been disappearing without any trace.

Whatever was going on probably wasn’t good.   In the past, Vincent’s people had been well known on the street, and you had a good idea what they were up to. Rocco had become a wildcard, and ever since the coup, no one had seen him,

What was Rocco planning?  

What caught Mason’s attention this morning was a name that had come across his desk.   James Roberts’ had been found dead. James wasn’t known to be one of Vincent’s people, but Mason suspected that he played a part in the kidnapping of Andrew Roberts, though he couldn’t prove it.

Mason looked at his watch. I guess the results should be in soon, and I think its time that I have a talk with Kelly, Mason said to himself as he headed down to the parking garage. She needs to know why she was hired, and what I expect from her.

 

[-][+][-] 

 

Chapter 19

 

After arriving at the hospital Mason made his way over to James’ room. There was still an officer there that was looking for prints, while another was busy taking pictures.   Others were busy taking statements from the hospital staff, but Kelly was nowhere in sight. Mason walked over to the officer that was busy collecting prints and asked him if he knew where he could find Detective Steeves?

“I think she said something about grabbing a coffee in the cafeteria”, the officer said as he returned to his work.

Mason looked at his watch it was 4:30 in the morning. Since the promotion he hadn’t had a decent nights sleep, and frequently wondered if he really should have accepted the job. Eventually things would get back to a normal routine but at the moment things were pretty chaotic, and now this.   

He eventually found his way to the cafeteria and found Kelly sitting at a table drinking her coffee.   

“Hey kiddo, Mind if I join you?” Masson said, sneaking up on Kelly

Kelly turned around there was only one person that ever called her kiddo. “Daddy!” She said, turning around and giving him a big hug.   

“What are you doing here?” Kelly asked with a smile.

Mason took a seat across from Kelly. “The name James Roberts came across my desk, so I decided to see the results of the investigation for myself, and I wanted to check on our newest detective.”

Kelly put 2+2 together and came up with the reason for her promotion. She knew there were people who would accuse Mason of nepotism.

“So why all the secrecy? If the offer had come directly from you, I would have just transferred at my normal rank.”

“I know that you would have, kiddo.   I needed people I could trust, and lately name after name of bad cops keeps coming across my desk. There was another reason. Since Vincent’s organization went down, his people have been disappearing without a trace,   as well as a few of our people that were on Vincent’s payroll.”

“Last week we got lucky and found one of the missing men. His name was Brian Wilson, and he was Jakes and James Roberts’ cousin. “

“We always suspected that James was involved with the kidnapping of his nephew Andrew but could never tie him to the case but we knew Brian worked for Vincent and likely made the introductions between Frank and Vincent”, Mason said frowning.

Kelly sat there for a few minutes taking in everything that Mason had said then looked over at him, “you think the cases are connected don’t you?”

“Maybe kiddo, I don’t know for sure, but since Rocco took over the organization it has gone strangely quiet and nobody know what he is up to. I have wanted to slip someone into the organization to investigate but there was nobody on the force that I trusted.

Kelly looked over at Mason, “I will take the case.” She said with a smile.

“I think that we need to talk about it more before you accept. Why don’t you come join your mother and I for supper and I’ll tell you everything you need to know about the case. After that you can make up your mind if you want the job or not. “

“The results from the autopsy should be done by now, let’s get going.” Mason said, and then the two of them made their way down to the morgue.

 

[-][+][-]

 

It had been a hard night, filled with tossing and turning, so much had happened and everything weighed heavily on my mind. There was this part of me that just wanted to give up and lock myself away in my room and hide from the world. I knew that was not an option, hiding from my problems had never led to a solution. If anything it only made things worse and I was just plain tired of playing the victim.

I knew deep down that it was time for a change, but what direction that would take I was still unsure.   I looked over at the clock. it was 5AM, and there was a part of me that just wanted to wrap myself up underneath my blankets and go back to sleep. I knew that wasn’t going to happen, though.

I had always been a light sleeper and once I was awake there was little chance of getting back to sleep. I slowly pulled myself together and climbed out of bed, then made my way to the bath room and started running a hot bath.

As I walked over to the sink and saw my reflection in the mirror, I was able to get a good look at the damage that Uncle James had caused.   I felt disgust, seeing how messed up I looked. Even though the bruises were starting to fade, I still looked like a raccoon, and they were still pretty painful to the touch.

“Why do I have to have such a fucked up family?” I said to myself as I took off my nightgown and threw it into the clothing hamper.   I climbed into the bath tub and slowly lowered myself. I hurt all over. Uncle James had done a real number on me.

I could only hope that Uncle James was feeling as bad as I was. Scotty had given him one hell of a beating. He had beaten him to within an inch of his life. Well, maybe not that bad, but it was going to be awhile till he was capable of causing me or anyone else trouble.

I poured in the scented bubble bath into the tub. The heat of the water felt good as it caressed my sore muscles and I was just laying back and relaxing. I found myself thinking about the camping trip. Nobody would hold it against me if I cancelled, considering everything that had happened. To be honest, though, I missed spending time with Amy. I needed to get away from everyone and everything, even if it was just for a little while.

Over the last couple of months the two of us had made numerous plans to get together but there was always something that ended up getting in the way. It wasn’t my fault, but the result was always the same. I was capable of going on the camping trip, even though I looked like I picked a fight with Mike Tyson and lost.

I soaked for close to an hour and the only reason that I decided it was time to get out was that the water was beginning to get cold and my skin started looking like it would eventually start falling off if I had stayed any longer. I reached under the water and pulled the plug, watching as the tub started to empty, and wishing that all of my problems would just go down the drain, too. I guess that was a little to much to hope for in any event.

I spent the next 45 minutes getting dressed and doing my hair. Makeup was not really an option, there was no way I would be able to hide the bruising. I would need the kind of makeup used in theaters to make any kind of real difference. Although looking the way I did at the moment, I could easily be hired as the star of a zombie movie.

Now if only I could find a director looking for a sexy little zombie. Alright, maybe sexy is taking it a little too far, but I’m sure there are some real freaks out there that would love a sweet little thing like me.

Note to self, I think its time to visit the mental tune-up masters and maybe get one of those beautiful white jackets that come with those fashionable straps and awesome buckles.   I couldn’t help but laugh, maybe mom and I could share a room together.

I stood up and slipped into my sneakers and made my way into the kitchen expecting to find Mom there making breakfast, but she was nowhere to be seen. I thought to myself that she must have decided to sleep in. so it looked like I was on breakfast duty this morning and started getting everything ready.

I greased up the frying pan and started cooking up some bacon, then took a large bowl and started cracking eggs into it and using a fork to mix them. After they were mixed up and poured it into another frying pan I started on making a pot of coffee.

I knew mom and dad would be looking for a cup as soon as they came down so all that was left to do was make some toast, but that could wait until the eggs and bacon was almost done.  

As I was setting the table, I heard someone coming through the front down and the sound of it being closed again. It was too early to be one of the family. I started to get scared and grabbed one of the butcher knifes out of its holder and slowly made my way over to the door and peeked out.

I couldn’t see anything, so I slowly opened the door being careful not to alert the intruder and slowly opened the door and made my way inside I saw Mom over by the chair adjusting the heat.

“Mom?” I said scaring her half to death, causing her to jump and turn around. “I’m sorry Mom, I didn’t mean to scare you, are you alright?”

“Yes, honey I’m fine,” she said frowning.

I looked at her, “Why are you coming home at this time of morning?”

“I’m fine, Jessica. I just couldn’t sleep last night, and I decided to go for a drive to clear my mind. I eventually ended up at Starbucks.” Mom said frowning

“Well as long as you’re alright Mom, breakfast is almost ready, why don’t you run upstairs and get everyone up while I finish setting the table. I’ll put this knife away before I end up stabbing someone.” I said with a smile and went back to the kitchen.

I checked the food one last time. It was pretty much done, so I started making toast, it wasn’t long before everyone started pouring into the kitchen, Mom and Dad headed straight for the coffee. Megan and I poured ourselves a glass of orange juice.

 

Chapter 20

 

After breakfast was finished, Megan and I did up the dishes while mom and dad headed upstairs. Megan turned to me. “How are you doing Jessica?”

“I’ve been better, Megan.” I admitted, frowning.

“Are you still going camping?” She asked.

“Yes, I think a weekend away will do me alright, although I wish that I didn’t have to spend it looking like a freaking raccoon.”

“It’s not that bad Jessica, its already fading, give it a few days and it will be back to normal.” Megan said with a smile.

“I know, it’s just that things were starting to finally pull together in my life, and now this. I don’t know why they blame me. It’s not my fault that he’s dead.” I said with a frown. “Why can’t they just leave me alone.”

I don’t know Jessica, but if they don’t want a relationship with you then it’s their loss.” Megan said as she leaned over and gave me a hug.

“Thanks, Megan,” I said returning her hug.

“I just thought everything was finally over with now. I’ll likely end up in court, and my Uncle will make sure that everyone knows the truth about me.”

“If that happens Jessica, we’ll deal with it. I think the people that already know you could handle the truth. People might ask questions, but I think they would be more curious then angry,” Megan said with a smile.

I looked over at Megan, “It’s not me that I am worried about, it’s everyone else, none of you deserve to have your lives turned upside down just because of me.”

“Jessica, you’re my sister and I will be there standing beside you. I know that you would do the same. Now try to forget all this nasty business, you have a camping trip to get ready for and a boyfriend that can’t wait to spend the weekend with you,” Megan said cheerfully.

 

[-][+][-]

 

I was inside my room getting ready for the camping trip, making sure that I had everything that I needed. It was funny. I remembered my last camping trip, it was a school event and I was still living as Andrew. Those days seemed so much simpler.   Grab some shorts for swimming and grab a few pairs of jeans and t-shirt and maybe a light jacket for at night, the rest of the space was used to carry junk food.

Looking inside my backpack now, it was full of every conceivable item and no junk food in sight. I had a couple of sundresses, jeans tank tops, sneakers for hiking, sandals and of course my bikini, but that was more for Scotty than myself. I had bought it just for the camping trip, and I had others that I could have worn. I knew, though, that Scotty wouldn’t be able to keep his hands off me in this little number, I thought to myself and giggled.

The rest of the space was pretty much filled with my makeup, just in case we decided to go out for dinner, and I also made room for my portable stereo. I had to pick up some extra batteries for it because it killed them fast. By the time I finished packing, I realized that there was no way I’d be able to carry it very far, so it looked like I would be putting Scotty to work once he arrived.

 

[-][+][-]

 

I walked over and picked up my guitar case and opened it taking out my guitar. I   walked over to my bed, took a seat and started playing a Sarah McLachlan song called “Adai”. I’ve always loved the song and it was the first song real song that I had ever played on the guitar. After numerous tries I was eventually able to play it straight through without mistakes, and after learning that song, everything else started coming naturally. Eventually I was able to play a song just by hearing it a few times.

As I sat there playing my guitar, I could feel myself starting to relax. it felt like it had been months since I had felt this content. Music had always been my one outlet. It had been the glue that had kept me going off the edge so many times but with all the chaos that had been in my life recently, I’d somehow forgotten that.

It’s funny how you can lose yourself within such a short period of time. Somehow I had, though, and the sad part of it was I really didn’t see it coming. My life had been spiraling out of control for so long, and I really had nothing to keep me grounded.   

I was thinking to myself as I started playing the song “Everything”, by Alanis Morissette. About halfway through the song my phone started ringing, so I laid my guitar down on the bed and answered it.

 

[-][+][-]

 

“Hello?” I said after hitting the answer button.

“Hey baby, how is my girl?” Scotty said, sounding in good spirits.

“Good morning Scotty, I’m doing alright. I was just relaxing and playing a few songs.

“Playing anything new?” asked Scotty

“Not really, I was just a little bored and had some time to kill before you arrived.”

 

“I am going to be bringing my guitar with me, you should bring yours Jessica. We haven’t really had much time to play together, and we have the whole weekend to find time to practice.” Scotty said, excitedly.

“So when are you planning to pick me up, Scotty?”

”That’s what I was calling you about Jessica; I’m pretty much ready any time you are.”

“Everything’s packed and ready to go Scotty, I’m just going to need a hand carrying it out to the car. I never realized how heavy it was until I finished packing.”

“Alright, I should be over in a few minutes; it’ll take us about an hour to drive to Amy and Tara’s apartment, especially during the morning rush hour.” Scotty said

“Alright honey, I’ll be downstairs waiting, I‘ll see you soon, love you honey!” I said

“I love you more,” Scotty said.

“Not possible,” I insisted, smiling.

“Just wait till I get you alone Jessica, I’ll show you how much I love you.” Scotty said laughing.

“Oh really, so what are your plans for me?” I asked, smiling and putting him on the spot.

“That’s for me to know and you to find out honey.” Scotty said smugly.

“Alright, I’ll see you in a few minutes, Scotty.” I said, ending the call.

I sat the cell phone back into my purse. I thought to myself, maybe this weekend isn’t going to suck after all!   I started carrying my bags over to the front door and found Mom sitting on the couch.

“Are you sure you’ve got everything you’ll need, honey?” Mom asked as she placed her book down on her lap.

“I think I’ve got everything Mom, although camping seems like a lot more work as a girl then it was when I was living as a boy.”

“Most things are honey, not that I have personal experience.” Mom said with a smile.

 

I guess that I can see things both sides of the fence. When I was living as a boy I pretty much did what was expected of me, but now that I’m living as a girl full time, the pieces just seem to fit-whereas before, everything just felt wrong.

I think the hardest part is that for most of my life I was in hiding. I held everything inside because I was afraid to let anyone get close. I was so scared that if they knew the real me, they wouldn’t accept me or worse hurt me.

“How would you feel now if the truth about who you really are came out?” Mom asked, sounding completely serious.

I had to think about it for a minute. “I guess it would be scary, but I think that I could handle it now. I’m sure it would be hard at first, but everyone that really matters to me already knows. As for the few friends that don’t know, I hope that they would judge me for the person that I am now and not the person that I used to be, does that make sense to you Mom?” I asked her.

She smiled. “Yes honey, it makes perfect sense. You’ve finally come to embrace who you really are, and put the past behind you.”

“I don’t know about all of that, Mom. There’s still plenty of stuff I need to deal with from my past, but you’re right about one thing. I’ve finally stopped running.”

“Either way honey, I’m proud of you and the person that you’re becoming.” Mom said, as a tear ran down her cheek.

“Thanks Mom, but I have a very good teacher.” I said, leaning down to hug her.

As Mom and I were hugging, the doorbell buzzed. “That must be Scotty.” Mom said.

“Yeah, I better go let him in, I kind of over packed and I am going to need his help carrying it all.”

“Alright honey, have a good weekend and I’m just a call away if you need me.” Mom said with a smile.

 

Chapter 21

 

Scotty wasn’t very impressed with the amount of stuff that I packed, but to his credit he didn’t say much about it other than that I likely wouldn’t have any use for half of the stuff that I packed. He was probably right, but one thing that I had learned is a girl needed to be prepared for any event.

“So, are you ready for the weekend honey?” Scotty asked me.

“I was considering staying home but changed my mind. I really didn’t want to spend the whole weekend dealing with Mom and everyone else asking me if I was alright. I love them all to death but sometimes a girl just needs her space.”

“I guess that I can understand that especially with everything that has happened lately. I’m just happy you included me.” Scotty said as he slipped his arm around me.

“You’re different Scotty”, I said with a smile

“How am I different Jessica?” Scotty said looking serious

“I really don’t know how to explain, but when I’m with you, I just feel safe. It’s hard for me to trust anyone, I’ve been hurt too many times by people that said they loved me, but I know I can trust you and that you aren’t going to hurt me.

All of my life I’ve felt alone and unloved. There was this part of me that felt that I didn’t deserve to be happy. It took me a long time before I was able to let go of the past, and the way I felt about myself. I had no idea what love really was, I mean, how can you love someone when you really have no clear idea what love is?”

“I hated everyone, even myself. The saddest part is that it wasn’t just my imagination. If people had known the truth, I’d have been in danger, you’ve seen firsthand how my family reacted to me.”

Scotty looked over at me, “That might’ve been the case before, Jessica, but things are different now. You have people that love and accept you.”

“I know Scotty, and I’m happier than I’ve ever been, even with all the extra baggage that I’ve had to carry.”

Scotty laughed. “Since when’ve you had to carry extra baggage? It wasn’t you that had to lug everything out to the car. God, my back will never be the same!”

“Very funny, Scotty, ” I said, then gave him a light jab in the stumpage.

 

[-][+][-]

 

It had been a long night as Amy parked her car and made the short walk to her apartment. She was so tired after working the double shift. It had been a pretty crazy night. The Emergency room was full of patients and there was a 3 and a half hour wait to see a doctor. Between dealing with the patients, and then the police that were questioning everyone about James Roberts death, Amy was completely exhausted. .

This left Amy in a spot, should she tell Jessica, or wait ‘til after the weekend to break the news about her Uncle? The last thing she wanted was to ruin the weekend, with everything that had happened Jessica needed time away. She didn’t want to take that away from her.

Amy made her way into her apartment calling out, “Honey, I’m home!”

“In the kitchen honey!” Tara responded from the other room.

Amy placed her knapsack down next to the front door and made her way into the kitchen and was met with a hug and kiss from Tara.

“How was your night honey?” asked Tara

“It was a crazy night, a lot happened. I’m just happy to be home, but we need to talk.”

Amy said grabbing a coffee mug and filling it with coffee, then took a seat at the table, while Tara continued making breakfast for the both of them.

 

“So what’s up?” Tara asked as she cracked another egg into the frying pan

“Jessica’s uncle died last night, and it looks like he was murdered.” Amy said after taking a drink of her coffee.

“Shit, are they sure that it’s murder?” Tara asked as she turned around and looked at Amy.

“From what I’ve heard, the injuries were not life threating, so there’s really no reason that he should be dead.” Amy said with a frown

“Does Jessica know?” Tara asked, sounding concerned.

“Not yet, that’s the problem, should we tell her or wait?” Amy asked, sounding worried.

Tara handed Amy her breakfast and took a seat across from her. “I think it would be best if we told her, she may hate her Uncle, but doesn’t deserve to be the last to know.”

“Jessica needs to get away, I just don’t want to ruin the weekend for her.” Amy said

“Something tells me it’s not going to change the reasons why she needs to get away Amy. The girl has been through hell lately and the death of her Uncle isn’t really going to change the fact that she needs a break from all this.” Tara said with a smile.

“I guess you’re right, I’m just worried,” Amy said sadly.

“You don’t need to worry about Jessica anymore.   She isn’t the same scared child you met at the hospital.” Tara said, trying to reassure Amy.

“I guess you are right Tara, it’s just that I care for her and to be honest I am happy her uncle is dead. Does that make me a bad person?”

“No it doesn’t, Amy. If it does, then I am right there standing beside you. The man was a monster, and likely helped Jessica’s father with the kidnapping.” Tara said sounding slightly pissed off.

“Don’t worry Amy, we will tell her together.”

 

[-][+][-]

 

Rocco sat behind his desk going through a ton of paperwork there was a part of him that wished that he wasn’t the one that had to deal with the aftermath of the coup that he had staged.   On his desk was a list of names. It was kind of like Santa’s naughty and nice list. The difference was, if you made this naughty list you would most likely end up dead.

There were plenty of names on the list that had already been crossed out but there were still lots of choices available.   The next name though was going to most likely going to cause a lot of trouble. Anytime you target a politician you better make sure everyone knows the reason why. The last thing you wanted was to have a full police investigation. It had been hard enough taking down the Police Chief, but at least he’d had information to take him down without too much trouble.

Rocco picked up the phone and dialed Adrian’s number, it rang a couple times and Adrian answered. “Good morning Boss, what do you have for me today?”

“Does the name Robert Zemeckis mean anything to you?” Rocco asked Adrian.

“Yeah, he’s a sleazy child molester, trying to get elected. I take it you want me to pay him a visit?”

“Yes, but this one needs to be taking care of differently. I need you to get the tapes from Greg and send them to the press first, then take the bastard out, and while you are at it take care of Greg at the same time. We don’t need any loose ends, and there is no place for someone like Greg in the organization.”

“Alright Rocco, I’ll take care of it and let you know when it’s finished.” Adrian said, then ended the call.

 

Rocco then returned to his list, looked over the names and smiled. “Now the part of the job that I enjoy. He picked up the phone and called his lawyer, I need you to write up a check for the usual amount, the child’s name is Karen Evans, run a check on her parents first. I want to make sure the child gets the money not the parents.

If the parents check out, write the check, if not, put it in trust. One other thing Garrett, how are things going with Jessica Roberts?

“Everything is set Rocco, but are you sure that you want to do this?” Bob said sounding concerned.

“Not really, but there is no other choice, when the time comes Adrian will pay her a visit. Just make sure that everything is in place. “   Rocco said sadly

“Alright I will make sure it’s taking care of”, Garnett said as he ended the call.

Rocco walked over to the bar and poured himself glass of whiskey and downed the glass. Thinking to himself, can I really do this to that poor child? He poured himself another drink and said to himself, I have no other choice.

 

[-][+][-]

 

Detective Kelly Steeves was busy filing the police report at the precinct. The results had finely come back, confirming that James Roberts was murdered. At the moment they really had no idea who was responsible, there was a list of people but the one name on that list stood out more than the others and that name was Rocco. He had the resources to pull something like this off and it seemed that anyone related to the Andrew Tanner case ended up dead.

There was also one other name on the list and Kelly didn’t really want to go there,

but it was also a possibility. Sometimes the child that was abused could take revenge against the people that abused them, and James Roberts was not in a position where he could have defended himself. Then there was his birth mother. She was in and out of the hospital because of mental illness. Finally, there was the woman that adopted him. Just how far would a mother go to protect their child? Kelly wasn’t sure, she thought to herself.

Kelly knew that this case wasn’t going to be an easy one. She hoped, though, that it was Rocco that was responsible because with everything he had done, he deserved to be placed behind bars and the others, well if they did it, it was understandable.

 

Chapter 22

 

The drive to Amy’s place only took Scotty and me about an hour with only one stop along the way at Starbucks where we picked up four coffees to go.   The building that Amy and Tara lived in looked pretty rundown,at least from the outside, but once Scotty and I made our way inside it was quiet the different story.

The inside was really clean and the walls looked freshly painted. This was the first time that I had been to Amy’s place, but Scotty had been here once before to drop off Tara when I was in the hospital. The area of town was nice; it seemed to have everything close and was right on the main bus route.

Tara met Scotty and I at the door and gave us both a hug. “Come on inside and make yourself at home. Amy just got out of the shower and is getting dressed she will join us in a few minutes.” Tara said with a smile.

“So are you guys ready for the weekend?” Tara asked.

“Yeah, we’ve been looking forward to getting some time away.” Scotty said with a smile.

“I know the feeling. Amy and I haven’t really had much time together lately, between work and everything else, but we’re thrilled to have the both of you join us.”

  “Thanks, I’ve been meaning to spend some time with the both of you, but with everything that’s happened over the last couple of months it’s been pretty hard.” I said with a smile.

“That’s alright Jessica, Amy and I both understand.” Tara reached over and gave my hand a squeeze.

“So how long is it going to take for us to drive to the campground?”

“We’re looking at about 4 hours driving time Jessica, but Amy and I have something that we need to talk to you about first.” Tara said with a smile.

“Alright, whatever it is, I’m innocent.” I said giggling.

“And don’t look at me I’m with her,” Scotty said smugly.

A few minutes later Amy joined us. Scotty and I were both met with a hug and kiss. “It’s good to see the both of you! How about we take the coffee into the kitchen, there’s something that we need to talk about,” Amy said sadly.

After the four of us were seated at the table, I turned to Amy. “Alright, what’s up?”

Amy looked over at Tara, who nodded her head.   Then Amy looked back towards me and took a deep breath.

“Jessica, your uncle died last night and the police think he might have been murdered.” Amy looked right at me.

I really wasn’t sure how I was supposed to feel. My uncle was dead, but what was he really to me?   He was my father’s brother, but he’d never really showed me any kind of love. If anything, he went out of his way to make me feel worthless.

“I thought about waiting and telling you about your uncle after the camping trip, but then I talked it over with Tara and we both decided it was best to tell you now. Tara and I would understand if you didn’t want to join us.” Amy said sadly.

I looked over at Amy, then Tara, “It’s alright, I’m glad that you told me, but it changes nothing. I really didn’t know my uncle. If it was someone else I cared about, things would be different, but I really couldn’t stand him. I hate to say this, but I’m glad he’s gone. It’s the last piece of my old life, and now I can put in all to rest.”

“Are you sure Jessica?” Tara said looking concerned

“Yes I’m sure. I just want to get on with my life. I’ve spent enough time living in the past and it almost destroyed me. I would rather live in the here and now.”

“Alright Jessica, you know what is best for you. Tara and I are here if you need to talk.” Amy said with a smile.

 

[-][+][-]

 

After Amy and Tara broke the news to me, I was feeling pretty numb about what had happened. Once Scotty and I were alone in the car, he turned to me. “Are you sure that you’re up to this?”

“Yeah honey, I’m fine. It’s all a bit of a shock, but that’s all it is. I’ll be alright, Scotty.”

“That’s true,” Scotty said as he put the car into drive and we started driving.

 

[-][+][-]

 

 

Amy and Tara were driving ahead of us, Scotty and I were just going to follow them and we had our GPS setup just in case it was needed. Amy had said that she was going to sleep for most of the trip, she had worked a double shift at the hospital and was exhausted and definitely needed the sleep.

The drive was a quiet one, at least for the first hour. Scotty and I barely said a word. I was pretty much lost in thought, but eventually I was brought back to reality. I reached over and turned on the radio.

It took a couple minutes to find a station with something worth listening to. We had already left the local coverage area and most of the programed stations were pretty much static. I eventually did find a station that I liked.

They were playing a Taylor Swift song called “Our Song. I thought how poetic, but then I realized that Scotty and I didn’t really have a song to call our own either and couldn’t help but start giggling.

Scotty looked over at me and said, “What’s so funny?”

“I was just thinking how ironic that song is, we don’t really have a song either.”

“Sure we do, you just haven’t heard it yet.” Scotty said with a smile.

“And you have?” I asked

“Yup”, Scotty said smugly

“Alright Scotty, what’s the song?”

“I’ll tell you later honey,” Scotty said with a smile.

“There is no song, you just need time to think of one.” I said with a smile.

“You’ll just have to wait and see Jessica”

“Knowing you and your sense of humor, it’s likely something like “Forgetful Lucy.”

“Yup, that’s it Jessica. It could be worse though, it could be “Somebody Kill Me.” Scotty said, and started laughing.

“Don’t tempt me,” I said giggling and turned up the volume on the radio.

The rest of the trip was pretty much spent fighting over what station to listen to and endless babbling between the two of us and I had to admit that I was enjoying myself.

There’s nothing like a road trip to change your outlook on things, especially when you’re seeing all new places and time just seemed to fly. As we turned onto the 401 highway, I saw Toronto for the first time; I never really knew how huge it was till I saw it firsthand.

I turned to Scotty. “Do you think that we’re going to have a chance to maybe explore it some before we have to go home?”

“I think we can take a drive there later and check it out if you want. There are a few places that I would like to check out also.” Scotty said with a smile.

“Cool, I’d like that Scotty.”

“Maybe we can check out the Hard Rock Café while we’re there.” Scotty said with a smile.

“We should see if Amy and Tara want to go, Scotty.”

“Sure, whatever you want Jessica, let’s just make sure that we find sometime alone as well.”

“Whatever for?” I asked him with a big smile.

Scotty grinned and said. “So I can molest you, of course.”

“Oh really, and you had to wait until we went camping for that?” I said with a smile.

“If I tried it at home, your father would likely kill me!” Scotty grinned.

“Maybe, Scotty, but don’t you think   I’m worth the risk?” I pouted.

“Definitely, honey, but how often do you think I will have the chance to spend the night with you? I’m surprised that they are even allowing us to go camping together, let alone share a tent together.” Scotty commented, thinking aloud. “They must realize that if the two of want to make love, then were going to do it anyway and it doesn’t matter if were camping or at home.”

“Mom and Dad worry about the two of us making a mistake and that I could end up pregnant, I told my mother that I’d wait and I’m not going to break that promise, but there are still plenty of other things the two of us can do.” I said suggestively.

“You know that I love you Jessica, and after everything that we’ve been though together. I really don’t see the two of us waiting being a problem.” Scotty said as he gave my hand a squeeze.

“I love you to Scotty, even though I sometimes feel that I don’t deserve to have a guy like you, but I am happy you choose to stay.”

“There was a time, Jessica, that I thought about walking away especially after finding out the truth. It was a lot to accept at first, and I didn’t know how to deal with any of it.”

“Why didn’t you break up with me?” I asked, looking Scotty in the eyes.

“There just didn’t seem to be a good time, I could see how much pain you were in and if I walked away from you. I would have been one of those people that hurt you.

Then the unthinkable happened, and you were kidnapped. Like the old saying goes, you never know what you have until you lose it. God, I was scared to death that I was going to lose you Jessica! I knew then that nothing else mattered to me, and I prayed to God that he would give you back to me.

I don’t care about your past, Jessica. All that matters to me is that the girl I love is sitting beside me, and if you ask me, I’m the lucky one.” Scotty said as he pulled the car over,   and took me into his arms. It didn’t take long before he was kissing me.

After the two of us came up for air, I found myself at a complete loss for words. As I looked at Scotty, I knew at that moment that the two of us had reached an important turning point in our relationship. There was a part of me that just wanted to say to hell with my promise to my mother and just give myself to him right here and now. The rest of the drive I sat right next to Scotty with his arm around me. I felt so content just sitting there cuddling with him as we drove the rest of the way to the campgrounds.

 

[-][+][-]

 

The campgrounds were about a 45 minute drive from Downtown Toronto and 15 minutes from Canada’s Wonderland. Tara and Amy arrived a few minutes ahead of Scotty and I, and were waiting outside the main gates to the campground so that the four of us could pick out a spot together.

Scotty and I followed them inside and eventually we found a spot right next to the lake, but still far enough from anyone to give the four of us some privacy. It wasn’t long before the four of us were setting up our tents and getting the rest of the campsite sorted.

We setup the tents across from one another with a fire pit between us. Just left of the tents was a picnic table and stationary barbeque, which looked like it would take a month to clean. Thank God Tara remembered to bring the aluminum foil, which we used to cover the grill, then poured in some charcoal so that it was ready to use later.

Once everything was finished and the campsite was ready for use, Tara and Amy said that they were going to make a trip into the nearby town to pickup supplies, leaving Scotty and I a chance to spend some time together alone.

After Tara and Amy left, Scotty made the suggestion that the two of us try out our tent but I wasn’t quite ready to throw caution to the wind and suggested that we check out some of the trails instead. He kind of gave me those puppy dog eyes, but in the end the two of us were holding hands and exploring the trails that ran alongside the large lake.

The trail that we were walking on eventually connected us up with another part of the park the only difference between the two areas this one was mostly used for motorized campers and there seemed to be plates from just about every Provience and even some from the United States.

Scotty and I looked around at some of the campers and wondered what it would be like to travel across the country in one Scotty seemed to love the idea and I had to admit that I thought it would be fun but giving a choice I would rather fly and arrive at my destination ready to go but still there was something romantic about it, especially when your travel companion is as cute as Scotty.

Though there were something’s that didn’t make a lot of sense like why would they need a heated pool when there was a huge lake that is not even 15 minutes away?

It just amazed me how lazy people could be. They did have an awesome playground though that was full of kids. Scotty and I made our way over and took a seat on one of the picnic tables and just sat back and watched the kids playing.

“This park is pretty cool isn’t it Scotty?”

“Yeah I like it here Jessica, it’s nice to get away from everything. It’s a shame, though, that we only have the weekend. It would be nice to stay longer.”

“I know what you mean Scotty, it’s so calm here.   Look at the kids over there they don’t have a worry in the world, wouldn’t it be nice if life would just stay that way.”

“Maybe Jessica, but I have everything I need to be happy sitting next to me.”

“Oh Scotty, I’m happy you are here too, it’s just that I never really had a childhood.   Seeing those kids, I sometimes wonder how it would have been if things had turned out differently.”

“I don’t think that I’d want another time line where things were different, if you had been born normal, would we even be together? Like it or not, it’s your past that has made you the person that you are today. If you take that away then you wouldn’t be the same person.”

“That’s very astute of you, Scotty. Are you sure you’re not a phychologist?”

“I do have a brain Jessica, even though I rarely choose to show it. I have a reputation as an athlete to protect, the last thing I need is the college thinking that I’m smart. They might actually expect me to work!”

“Very funny, Scotty, but I really think that you would do well in a course like that,   how long do you think that you are going to get by playing football and who knows what the future holds when it comes being a musician, how many bands actually make it big?”

“The same can be said for you Jessica, except for playing football.”

“Are you saying I can’t play football Scotty?” I said with a smile.

“You’re welcome to try anytime.” Scotty said with a grin.

“Scotty, you’re just looking for a reason to jump on top of me, you pervert.” I said and started giggling

“Jessica, you’re in a strange mood today.”

“Yes I guess that I am, but I’m enjoying myself.”

“Me too, honey.” Scotty said as he slipped his arm around my waist and I soon found myself snuggling my head on his shoulder.

 

[-][+][-]

 

Scotty and I decided that it was time to head back to our campsite. It was about a half hour walk, but we took our time. Neither of us was in a hurry, we were both enjoying just being alone together. We eventually arrived at our campsite and found Tara and Amy there waiting for us. The two of them were sitting at the picnic table drinking a couple of beers.

Scotty and I joined them at the table. Amy smiled. “Are you guys enjoying yourselves?”

I smiled. “Yes, we’re having a great time.”

“Yeah, Jessica and I were just doing a little exploring. I wanted to take her into the tent and have my way with her, but she wouldn’t have anything to do with it.”

“Scotty!” I said and swatted him across the back of the head, which cause everyone to start laughing with the exception of Scotty, who had this dumbfound look on his face.

I wasn’t really mad at him, it’s not like they didn’t know he would want to do something like that, he was a guy after all. I turned to him. “Why don’t you make yourself useful and find us something to drink?”

 

Chapter 23

 

Scotty and I spent most of the afternoon talking with Amy and Tara. At around 4PM, Tara started the barbeque and started cooking supper for the four of us. While we were setting the table, Amy noticed that they had forgotten the hamburger buns and asked me if I felt like taking a little drive over to the store. She’d had a few drinks and didn’t want to drive, so she handed me the keys. The two of us climbed into Tara’s car, leaving Scotty and Tara to take care of the cooking while we made the drive to the convenience store.

“So how are you doing Jessica? Remember it’s me you’re talking to, and I’ll know if you’re lying.” Amy said with a smile.

I smiled. “I’m doing surprisingly well, considering everything that’s happened.”

“You know Jessica, you’re going to have to deal with the assault eventually. What happened won’t go away, just because you wish it would.”

“Maybe not, but I will not spend my whole weekend worrying about something that I can’t do anything about.

It happened, and I look like a raccoon, but on the bright side I’m spending the weekend with the people I love most in this world. Let’s worry about the assault on Monday, because until then, as far as I am concerned it never happened.” I said with a forced smile.

“Alright Jessica, if that’s the way you want to handle it, but if you need to talk I’m here.” Amy said as she reached over and gave my leg a squeeze.

“If I need to talk about it Amy, you’ll be the first person I see.”

“It’s just that you’re like a sister to me, and it hurts when I see you in pain.” Amy said frowning.

“I feel the same way Amy, you’ve been here for me through everything. I know that if I’m in trouble, I can always call you, and I hope that you would do the same,” I told her. “What the two of us share is special, and I never want to lose that.”

“Me either, Jessica. I just feel that you are building yourself up for a fall later, and I don’t want to see that happen to you.”

“I really don’t know what to say about that Amy. I’ve been seeing my doctor, and we’ve talked about my past and how my life is going now. I think that I’ve been doing well, considering everything that’s happened.”

“Alright then, let’s look at the here and now Jessica. Things happen in life that we have no control over. You know that as well as anyone, but what would you do if you woke up tomorrow and everyone you cared about was gone?”

“What kind of question is that, Amy? I have no idea what I would do, nobody would know how to answer that.”

“Think about it Jessica what would you do?”

“I don’t know, maybe I would take my own life.”

“So you’re saying you couldn’t live without them?”

“I don’t know Amy, I’d like to say that I would find a way to continue, but I just don’t know if I could.”

“So tell me Jessica, are you afraid to die? Remember, you’ve already tried to kill yourself before.”

I thought about what Amy was saying, and she was right. I had no fear of taking my own life. I’d already tried it once, what I feared was being alone. I understood what Amy was trying to tell me.

I was putting my faith in other people to make me happy, but if they were gone I’d have to find a way to continue my life without them, and at the moment I knew that I couldn’t survive alone.

I looked over at Amy. “You’re right Amy, and I promise, I’ll get help.”

She looked at me. “I’m sorry Jessica, but I wouldn’t be a good friend if I kept my mouth shut when I know you’re in trouble.”

“It’s alright Amy, I understand and appreciate that you’re honest with me, even when it does hurt. I know you’re doing it for my own good, and not out of cruelty.   You’re right, what my uncle did to me does bother me.

I don’t know what I am supposed to do about it. He’s dead now and I’m glad he’s   gone. He might have spent a little time in jail, but when he got out it would have started up all over again.”

Amy nodded in sad agreement. “I think anyone in your position would feel that way, and eventually you’ll have to deal with that anger, otherwise it will eat you alive.”

“I know Amy, but not today.” I said as we pulled into the parking lot.

“Are you coming in Jessica?”

“No, I think I’ll just wait here, Amy.”

“Alright Jessica, I won’t be long.”

 

[-][+][-]

 

The drive back I was much more subdued emotionally. Everything that Amy had said weighed heavily on my mind. I wished that it hadn’t, but it did. I felt better though, once we pulled into our parking spot and I saw Scotty.  

He was busy working the grill, and didn’t even notice that Amy and I had arrived. I was about to join Tara at the table, when Scotty called over asking Tara to bring him a plate. Tara was about to get up but I put my hand on her shoulder, and with the other hand picked up a plate and made my way over behind him.

I handed him the plate, but he still didn’t know that it was me behind him. When I slipped my arms around his waist and started kissing the back of his neck, he was just a little surprised.

“Tara, what are you doing?” he asked, as I ran my hand over his chest. “I really don’t think this is a good idea Tara, I’m with Jessica and you’re with Amy”

“Good answer!” I said,. Giggling, as did Amy and Tara, who had been watching from the picnic table.”

“I knew it was you, Jessica.” Scotty said, as he started filling the plate

“Yeah, right you knew.” I teased as I ran my hand against his groin and felt him starting to get excited.   I kissed the back of his neck, then took the plate of burgers and joined Tara and Amy at the table.

Soon the four of us were all seated at the table, enjoying a meal together. I teased Scotty the whole time, and we all had a great time.

 

[-][+][-]

 

It was around 5PM when Kelly arrived at Mason and Arlene’s.   She was looking forward to spending time with Arlene, who had been like a second mother to her. After losing both of her parents, Kelly had been lost and if it hadn’t been for Arlene, she had no idea what would have happened.

Arlene and Masson had been trying for years to start their own family, but had accepted that it wasn’t to be, after suffering numerous miscarriages. The last one had almost cost Arlene her life.

It didn’t look like kids were in the cards, but then Kelly came along. It was like their dreams had come true.   The circumstances were terrible, both of her parents had been murdered. Mason and Arlene had shared many sleepless nights because of it.

Over time, they became a family in every way that counted. Arlene had the daughter she’d always wanted and the two of them became very close. The day Kelly joined the RCMP had been one of Mason’s proudest days. Arlene, on the other hand, was not happy at all. She worried for her daughter’s safety.

Kelly’s reasons for joining were mostly because of what happened to her parents. She wanted to help other kids, so that they didn’t have to experience what she had. It had caused a rift between Arlene and her when she chose to join the force, but like all families they were able to work it out.

She made her away inside and she found Mason busy working in his study and knew that it wasn’t a good time to bother him. By the smell emanating from the kitchen, Kelly knew that her mother was busy cooking supper.  

Kelly made her way into the kitchen and found her mother sitting at the table, peeling potatoes. When Arlene saw her daughter, she dropped everything and ran over and took Kelly into her arms.

The two of them hadn’t seen each other in over a year. Other than the occasional phone call, this was the first contact they’d had with one another in a very long time.

“I’m so glad you’re home, Kelly.” Arlene said, hugging her daughter.

“Me too, Mom, I’ve missed you so much. I’m sorry that it took me so long to see you, but with work and all I’ve been kept pretty busy. I’m home now, and I’m not going anywhere if I can help it.” Kelly said with a smile.

Arlene and Kelly took a seat at the table. Kelly grabbed a knife and started peeling and cutting the carrots, while her mother continued peeling the potatoes.

Arlene looked over at her daughter. “So how have you been, sweetheart?”

“I’ve been doing great, Mom, though I have to admit, I’ve been feeling a little home sick lately. I was with the first team of RCMP, and coming back here brought back a lot of memories, some good and some not so good.” Kelly said sadly.

“Work’s kept me busy, but to be honest, I don’t know where this is all going. I thought being a cop and helping people would somehow fix things in my own life.

I just don’t feel like I’m even making a difference, Mom. With every person I put away there’s always someone new to take their place. It’s either that, or they’re back out on the street within months, and some of these people are monsters.”

“You’re not thinking of quitting, are you Kelly?”

“I don’t know, Mom. To be honest, the thought had crossed my mind, and then I got offered this job. It was a chance to help clean up the police force and maybe do some good, but now I find out the only reason that I am here is because of Dad.”

“Don’t blame your father, honey. He needed people he could trust, ever since he became Police Chief, he hasn’t had the most trustworthy people working under him. He called in a lot of favors just to bring in people that he could trust, and he trusts you more than any of them, Kelly.”

“I know Mom, but I still didn’t get this job on my own merits. It was handed to me, and everyone I work with knows this.

“Honey, you may have been handed the job, but it’s what you do with it that matters.

“Believe me, if you couldn’t do the job, your father would never have given it to you.”

Arlene said. “Don’t listen to what they’re saying, just do the job and show them you belong there. When they see that you are good at it, they’ll leave you alone.”

Kelly looked thoughtfully at her mom. “Maybe you’re right, I’m just making a mountain out of a molehill. It’s so good to be home, and to be able to just talk things out with you again.”

“Anytime, baby, you know where I am.” Arlene said with a smile.

 

 

[-][+][-]

 

 

After supper was over, Kelly and Mason adjourned to his study. This was a place that Kelly was rarely allowed as a child. It was the place where Mason did most of his thinking, and also a quiet place where he would spend hours working. Lately, it had become much more.

It had become a safe place for him to talk with people outside the police force. Until he knew for sure that the last remnants of the corrupt police force were gone, he didn’t want anyone knowing his plans until it was time to make a move.

Mason walked over to the mini bar and grabbed a couple beers from the cooler, handed one to Kelly and took a seat on the couch next to her. “I guess it’s time for me to come clean to you, honey.”

“So what’s the big secret?” Kelly asked.

“There are two reasons that I asked for you to join the force. The first one was I needed people that I could trust, and the second reason is your age. I need someone that can pass for 16 years old, and you can do both.”

“Alright, I understand the first reason, but why do you want me to pretend to be 16 years old?” Kelly asked and took a drink of her beer.

“I need someone that Rocco’s people don’t know, and unfortunately there are not many in the force that I trust, and can pass for 16 years old.”

“Alright Dad, I understand, so what is the plan I know that you wouldn’t have me do something like this unless you knew there was a chance of success.”

“Rocco maybe a mobster, but he has a soft spot for kids. That’s his Achilles heel.   On a few occasions he has gone out of his way to help a child that was in trouble. The first being his enforcer Adrian and then there is Andrew Roberts, who goes by the name Jessica Tanner now.”

“I want to put you in a position where it looks like you’re in trouble and need help, and then let nature take its course.” Mason explained

“Alright, I see where you’re going, and there’s only one problem with that plan, nobody has seen Rocco since the coup, how am I going to get to him?” Kelly said, thinking aloud.

“Adrian is the key, Kelly. If you can get to him, then you can get to Rocco.”

“Alright, Dad, what do we know about Adrian?” Kelly asked.

“Adrian was a street kid that Rocco took under his wing and over time worked his way through the ranks of Vincent’s organization, but considering Vincent’s dead and Rocco is now running the organization, we know he is loyal to Rocco.”

“I checked out Adrian’s record and it turns out he was a child abuse victim, and came from an alcoholic household. His parents kicked him out of the house when he was 14 years old. Rocco took him in shortly after that.” Mason told her.

“There’s one other thing too, Kelly. It’s on record that the reason for the coup was Rocco taking offence to the kidnapping of Jessica Tanner. I am sure that there were other reasons, but that was what initially fuelled the feud between Vincent and Rocco.”

Kelly looked over her at her father. “Alright, I see where this is going. I’m going to play the abused child, and hope Adrian comes to the rescue.”

“There’s more to it, Kelly. You’ll need to look the part.” Mason said. “You’re playing a child that is physically and mentally abused. Not only do you have to look the part, but you also have to make them believe it. Looking the part will be easy, we can stage an assault between you and your drunken father in Adrian’s presence.”

“Oh, I see, and who’s going to be my father?” Kelly asked Mason.

“I have just the guy for the job, Kelly, he’s new to the force, so nobody knows him and I’ll have people there to make the fake arrest. The only problem is he’s going to have to rough you up to make it believable.” Mason said sadly.

“I understand, it’s a part of the job.   So once I am in, what am I looking for?”

“We know that Rocco is involved in a string of murders that have been happening at the moment. It’s mostly Vincent’s people being hit, and a few bad cops.   I suspect much more is going on behind the scenes.”

“Your job is to collect as much information as you can, and find out what he’s up to, then report to me directly, nobody else.   Remember, these people are dangerous, and capable of anything.” Mason said sounding worried.

“There is still time for you to back out of this, Kelly, and I wouldn’t hold it against you.”

“No Daddy, I’ll take the case. Just make sure my new father goes easy on me.”

“He will, I promise. It might be awhile before we can be together as a family again, so why don’t you and I forget about all this nasty business for now, and join your mother. I know she’s missed you terribly.” Mason suggested, then stood up and the two of them joined Arlene in the living room.

 

 

 

 

End of Part 7

To be continued in part 8

 

up
109 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

A long awaited installment!

Plans and plots within plots and plans! Your fans have been waiting too long for another chapter in this awesome story! Thank you.

Jessica's Journey - Part 7

I hope that Kelly sees what Rocco is doing as well as meet Jessica. But wondering about that nurse. Could there be another 'mom' that we know nothing about? Could she be delusional?

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

It has been too long

But I enjoyed it. Jessica is surviving, but with issues (big surprise there).

I like Rocco, even though he is not a nice person. He has his good points.

Mom is not going to be happy when she finds out about Kelly's new assignment. This is an understatement. Looks like someone is going to get hurt, unfortunately.

Its noot looking good for Jessica

Renee_Heart2's picture

As Rocco as set Adrian on her after he takes care of the polititions (by that he means kill them). At least Jess dosen't know it yeat.

I feel sorry for Jessica in a way she has been through hell & now more of it. At least she has gotten away for the weekend & has Amy to help her through things & put things in to perspective for her & that is just what she did for her & I think it helped her relaize what was going on in her head.

As for Kelly I hope things go according to Daddy's paln & it dosen't go south & she gets hurt.

Look foward to more.

Love Samantha Renee Heart

I find this one hard to believe Cain!

I dont believe a Police Chief would put his his only adopted daughter at risk, and considering his wife Arelene is childless and loves Kelley could he even consider this as an option.

It seems you have a penchant for sacrificing young girls.

Good story though, you have me scared for both Jessica and Kelly now. Dam you!

Hugs

Age is an issue of mind over matter.
If you don't mind, it doesn't matter!
(Mark Twain)

LoL
Rita