Family Tragedies & Secrets Pt 11

Printer-friendly version

Hrm. I really don't know how many chapters there will be in all, but it's becoming evident that people want some "Behind the Scenes" stuff. So, when I'm done with this series, I'll post a list of scenes I would write to clear up confusion and directions for how to get me to write the one YOU wanna see. Hee! Hope folks are enjoying reading it as much as I'm enjoying writing it!

Family Tragedies and Secrets
Part 11
by Edeyn Hannah Blackeney

 

Brenda sat and thought about what Emily had said. She had tried to explain to her that she didn't think she was any less capable of doing activities with her as Matt than Jeff was, but he had been trying to act like other men did with their daughters. She apologized. Many times. She was on her way to the shower when Emily ran up the stairs, saying something about a detective and a kidnapping and Jeff over at a teacher's house.
She sent her back downstairs, and told her that her father would be down shortly.
Matt stepped out of the bathroom in a pair of shorts. His towel over his left shoulder and a t-shirt in hand, all traces of Brenda vanished — unless you realized that the faint irritation on his chest was from removing breastforms. He headed down and to the kitchen to find his daughter impatiently waiting by the back door.
“Okay, Dad,” said Emily, “I'll meet you in the car.”
She explained the whole situation from the message on the answering machine to him on the way. They were walking up to the front door of the Scroggs' home when Katarina came out the front door, looking worried.
“Emily! Have you seen Devin? Oh, you must be Matt. Um, I don't know how to say this, but they're gone,” she babbled, obviously a bit at a loss for what to do. “I mean, I figured they were just being quiet last night, but they were late to come down for breakfast, so I went up and they just... weren't there. The beds didn't even look slept in.”
Matt looked to Emily and she took Katarina's arm, leading her to the car. Between the three of them, they started searching the town. None of the fast food places, none of the diners, not even the one coffee shop. Driving past the park, Katarina pointed.
“There's Devin. Stop and I'll find out what's going on,” she said.
They parked and got out, Katarina jogging over to the bench that Devin was sitting on with another girl. When she got to them, she rounded the bench, and promptly forgot whatever she was going to say as the two kids grinned up at her. Devin held her finger to her lips to shush her, then motioned with her head for Katarina to leave.
She frowned at them, and shook her head, saying, “Sorry, but no. Matt and Emily are here with me to get Jeff. You can take it up with them what you're gonna do about that detective. Up. C'mon.”
The two hung their heads and stood.
Emily and Matt had caught up as the two girls turned around. Their jaws hung open as they realized that the other 'girl' was Jeff in a skirt, blouse, and wig.
“Jeff, is that you?!?” gasped Matt.
“Yeah. Devin's been trying to help me think of things to do to get out of this whole going to Florida thing... we've got a good couple of ideas, too,” he answered. His height was good for a girl, and the clothes and wig plus the makeup that Devin had helped with made him look at least like an ordinary girl. Until you noticed that she stood completely wrong and tended to scratch at her bra.
“That's all I needed to hear,” came a voice just before two of the passersby grabbed Jeff suddenly. “Calm down, kid,” said Kerry as he walked up, “This is my partner, Sheila Duquesnes and a friend of ours from the station. Hold him tight, Will, he's sneaky.”
Matt stepped over and demanded, “What is the meaning of this? He's thirteen years old, you can't arrest him without talking to his Guardian — and that's me. Let him go. Now.”
“Sorry pal, no can do. Here,” he handed Matt a folded piece of paper, “your Guardianship has been revoked. His actual father is here to get him from Florida. I'm really sorry, kid, your old man is a real asshole, but there's nothing I can do.”
“At least let him change clothes before you go,” put in Emily, “He's not done anything to deserve being embarrassed!” She hoped that at home she could help him find another way to get away.
“Em,” said Jeff, finally speaking, “don't worry about it. I'm not even trying to get away, and maybe being dressed like this will make the jerk not want me. Talk to Devin. She's got the details.” Then he looked over at the detective. “Okay, let's go see my, ah, the guy my mother was married to.”
With that, the police walked with a not-struggling Jeff to their car and pulled away.
As soon as the car doors shut, Devin whirled on Katarina. “Kat, get out your cell, call Carter and Billings, tell them to be at Carter's office when I get there with these two, use up favors if you have to,” she ordered her older sister, then spun on the other two, giving them the same treatment, “You and you. To the car, move it. Make sure you have your credit card, I'll explain in the car.”
And Katarina was left bewildered, alone, and with her cell phone out making a call as the redheaded dynamo that was her sister ushered the two off.

up
65 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I really like Devin!

Breanna Ramsey's picture

I thought I did before but now I am sure. This is a kid that knows how to take command!

I don't know for certain what is coming next, but I know what I might do if I was a headstrong kid like Jeff seems to be. I'd march right up to my dad in that skirt and wig, be as obnoxious as I possibly could and see if I could get him to smack me in front of the cops. From what we have seen of Mr. Ugg that just might work. There's no way they could let him take Jeff if he did that. It wouldn't end the issue, but it would certainly buy some time.

Keep it coming, Edeyn, this style is working for me!

Scott
Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of--but do it in private and wash your hands afterwards.
Lazarus Long - Robert A. Heinlein's 'Time Enough for Love'

Bree

The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
-- Tom Clancy

http://genomorph.tglibrary.com/ (Currently broken)
http://bree-ramsey314.livejournal.com/
Twitter: @genomorph

Saucy cow

I don't know. She seems rather bossy to me. :)

I like all the characters. I'm still not sure where anything is going, but the trip there seems pleasant enough!

Anja Kobayashi

Dr. Frankenstein

Must know what this feels like... I have no idea where in the recesses of my mind that Devin came from, but she DEMANDED to be written and was given life!

Once a character makes their way out of my subconscious, their entire history is formed, and I could even write a biography of them. Handy, that... makes 'em easier to write about

I'm glad you're enjoying the story, and hope I continue to live up to the expectations

Edeyn

My head hurts!

This is really going fast with turns and turns. The story idea is solid and interesting, but in real life the poor kid would end up with his father. Well perhaps that is the reason seing "daddy" in skirts! There might be some sparks in the next episode.

Hugs,
Sissy Baby Paula and Snowball (my toy puppy)

Backstory

You've made Devin a real enigma. She is bossy but seems to feel strongly about helping Jeff. It seems like one of those "I'm glad she's on our side" kind of things. As for Jeff provoking deliberately Dad, I don't think he is thinking clearing enough for that. Now just setting Dad off just by being dressed as a girl is another story. Now if Devin was there she might very well come up with a plan like that.
Hugs!
grover

FTS

When I first started to read this story I did,t find it all that appealing, but after reading Sk8r Grrls I decided to give this onwe another chance now I am hooked, and can't wait for the next chapter.

Great story line and love all the twists and turns, but can't figure out what is going to happen next. I think there is more going on with Devin than most readers realize (I think devin is TG).

Keep them coming Edeyn.

Melanie Dian

Not Sure...

...whether combining the characters in your two stories unnecessarily complicates things, simplifies them, or neither of the above. I guess as long as they're not taking place simultaneously (so that Katarina Scroggs doesn't get called away from Annie's drama class to fill her more active role here) it's not a problem.

Anyway, still looking forward to more of both stories.

Eric

Timeline

I should post one of those soon, now, I guess... but the events of FTS are the beginning of the Summer, 2006, and the events of Sk8r Grrls are so far September-October 2006

Edeyn