Return to Sender - Part 4

Printer-friendly version

Return to Sender
by Jennifer Christine
Part 4

Author's note:- I'm trying to keep this consistent in science, which being invented is quite awkward - forgive any anomalies!

I was now a free agent again, I moved about a bit, slowly getting rid of background until I was pretty much living in a rented apartment and surfing and enjoying myself. Becoming a non entity. I wanted to disappear without trace and no one would miss me. During this time I had an opportunity to get used to the idea of becoming female.

Oddly enough I found the idea both intriguing and not wholly unpleasant. I admired the female form and this period enabled me to get my head around the idea of change.
It was at first hard to come to grips with and even harder to come to terms with. I wasn’t enamoured of men in general and the thought of sexual intercourse with one was not something I’d ever dreamed of, not even in nightmares.

As the summer went by however, I found myself feeling less rattled by the idea of having a male partner. I actually felt that I was being engineered by Molly and the nanites (sounds like a pop group doesn’t it?) It sowed a seed of distrust that I would be hard pressed to suppress the germination of.

My life continued, I took no lovers of either persuasion and I enjoyed the lack of responsibility and direction. I knew it wouldn’t last long. I knew Molly wouldn't let it.

One day I went out on my board and when I’d gone out past the breakers, I dropped off my board into the water, and pressed the toggle on my shuffle. I had made my peace with the world and I was ready to move on.

That gut wrench got me and I knew that now it begins. I hope they didn’t spend too much time searching for the body. There was almost nothing in my bank account — I had used the Helen account a few times to keep it active using Helen’s credit card in ATMs that didn’t have cameras attached — all I needed now was to start my life as Helen.
My bits and pieces for her were actually in an apartment I’d rented in her name — and I’d asked the concierge in the apartment block to keep an eye on the place as I/She was traveling abroad (to the moon no less!) — I’d even given them a date I would probably be back — about 14 days from now — My ‘stuff’ had all arrived in boxes and the furniture had been purchased online from a Myers catalogue that I’d uploaded…. I have to laugh when I think of the upload speed and the distance — I wonder what the IP address is of Mare Ibrium!

Clothing had been bought and was in the boxes. I’d kept some photos and bits and pieces of my previous life but nothing that could tie me in. The worst thing was getting rid of my parents’ pics and stuff. They were still very much alive and I loved them even though we’d been at loggerheads since I refused to become a doctor like my mum and dad. I knew I would be able to see them, but they were going to go through a trauma as they found out that their son was lost at sea from his surfboard. I couldn’t even leave them a note.

I’d discussed it briefly with Molly at the initial visit, but it hadn’t struck me so forcibly then. I did love them but I think they’d be realistic if I turned up missing.

“Welcome home Helen,” Molly’s voice came into focus as my ears were reassembled.

“You’ve got to do something about that gut wrenching pain when I transport Molly, it’s a doozy.”

“It’s nothing I can sort I’m afraid; part of the process. You’ve got to learn to relax when you ‘do it’ and it won’t hurt.” She sounded as sympathetic as a taxi driver with no change.

When I came-to fully and stepped off the plate, I felt a bit strange. Balance was off until I realised I’d been rearranged a bit — my wet suit felt awkward and pulled in all the wrong directions. I looked down and my figure was different. “Hoi, not so fast Molly, give me a chance to settle.” It made my head spin, I was certainly being moved forward. “I’ve got a thousand years to get used to this you know.”

“It’s only a partial change, Helen. I shall do it in stages over the next day or so, it helps to avoid some of the damage caused by the radiation. As I mentioned before.” She reminded me snootily. “Take off your access key and put it in the chute, I need to alter it a bit.” She dismissed my objection as if it never happened.

As I took the ipod from my neck and unzipped my suit, I realised it was a bit bunched up — I’d lost some inches in height and my chest had shrunk a bit as the suit was loose under my arms. It wasn’t loose over my chest though as the beginnings of breasts were sitting there like solid cones. They were sensitive as all hell, so I shed the suit completely and stood naked on the deck save for a pair of budgy smugglers (speedos —swim trunks) which felt a might tight in the wrong places. I shed those too and realised my manhood was back to being a boyhood.. I felt a bit dizzy with the sudden change but I suppose I’d expected it, so it wasn’t really a shock. I wondered how long I would live if I went no further — 400 years maybe? I shook my head in the realization that I was, already, no longer Ian.
The feeling was a bit like a sort of imaginary kick in the forehead. That sort of helplessness you feel just before the front of your car impacts the rear of the one in front and you know there’s not a thing you can do about it.

I put it out of my mind and tried to focus as I walked to the shower room to get the salt off me — then realised that the wet suit, my speedos and me were all dry. — Molly had left the seawater in the sea.

“Did I tell you there was woven material at the site? When we did the research, it was found to be local flax and cotton but there was no weaving for another 10 thousand years, even in Europe. We passed it off as contamination from later encampments. There was no way we could attribute weaving to a civilization so old. I think it may have been Welna’s stuff, which means she was living au naturel with the tribe. Did you know?

There was a pause as Molly seemed to try to figure an answer, but in the end she just said, “Yes.” She sounded a bit guarded — as much as a computer could under the circumstances. Was I suspicious? Not in the least. I’d given up all hope of control at least for the present. To have Molly on my side, I had to be on her side.

“What else did you know Molly?” I asked like I was cajoling a child.

“I’m afraid there’s quite a story, but suffice to say she told me she’d become attached to the tribe and was going to integrate with them for a while. I understood; it wasn’t the first time someone had gone native. She had a thousand years to get back to me — but her signal dropped off soon after and I never heard from her again. I should have gone home, but I would have been disgraced if I’d gone back without her. I knew she’d died as the access key, I could tell, was still working even if I couldn’t pinpoint it” Molly sounded like an abandoned parent and it reminded me of my folks who were going to be missing me soon — within a few hours probably. Once my mobile phone had been found at my cabin near the beach. Unless someone stole it and all the rest of my stuff.

“Am I missing yet?” I asked; after a moment she answered.

“They’ve found your board, they know it’s yours. Surf lifesavers have phoned it in and a chopper is going to look from the air, the Surf Club rescue boat is combing the breakers.” It sounded like a weather report; I was listening to my own demise.

“Won’t be long now before they go and look in my cabin then. My parents will know before sunset I guess. Keep me up to date will you Molly? it’s going to be hard on them.”
I felt sad and not a little lost.

“You’ll be able to go and see them next week Helen, and comfort them.” Molly condoled.

“You think?” And how do you account for my knowing him so well and they’ve never heard of me, nor has anyone else. I’m feeling a little isolated just now Molly, please try to understand.” I was playing the martyr for all it was worth, looking for sympathy.

“When you come to the end of your life Helen, they will have been dead as long as Robin Hood has now. I know it is difficult, but better to get over it now and try to accommodate the loss than try to replace Ian and get all sorts of badly connected issues. I am sorry Helen, but your life as it was IS now over and you have to look to being a different person completely. I think it may even be advisable to think of yourself as a different species. But I think we may need to talk that over at a future time.” She paused, Separating the last statement to make it a more valuable stop point.

“ I know you’re beginning to see some changes in the way your mind works- the way you appreciate and interact with your surroundings. I know that you do understand the realities of the situation. I promise you, you won’t lose touch with the core person you are, your fundamentals are what allowed you to get here in the first place, if you hadn’t been right, you’d have been rejected.” Molly sounded contrite like she was apologising, but I understood she was actually covering up the fact there were others who HAD been rejected.

“How many, how many did you reject?” I asked the question knowing only that she had rejected but not how many.
“Just one, he was the elder of the tribe, he found the box and pressed the button, he got here and freaked out — I just sent him back, but I couldn’t …. allow him to communicate with anyone, I sent him back without his memory. He wouldn’t have lived long, but I do know he put the key back in the box — so I hoped it would remain safe for a while — apparently it was reburied — maybe the tribe did it, maybe the vestiges of his mind told him he’d survive if he rehid the box. Maybe he did, but leaders were shunned if they lost their command. I reckon he’d have been abandoned as a tribe member and left to fend on his own. Without a memory, he’d not survive long. I was harsh back then.” Molly sounded wistful but in fact she’d condemned someone to death. So much for Robot laws and non intervention.

“Anything else I should know?” I asked as I slipped on the waiting sweat suit. “About your likelihood of killing me perhaps.”

“No, Helen, I won’t hurt you. Your planet is nearly ready to become fully integrated into this arm of the galaxy, another thousand years and a bit of education and breeding from you and you should be there.”

“Mooooo.” I countered and wandered off to find some food.

I’d not thought to bring any samples with me but Molly suddenly said, “Is what was in your stomach normal foodstuffs? I have analysed it for content and know what it looked like from the TV commercials. Would you like a Macdonalds  ¼ pounder for lunch? I promise it will taste the same but would be a lot less damaging to your health, if it was in the slightest bit relevant.”

I smiled with the thought of what she’d looked at while I was in transport and hoped it was going to be close — I’d hate it to taste like it was half digested. I tried Maccas like that when I’d thrown up pissed!

In the event it was a lot nicer than Maccas ever were and more like something from a hotel restaurant, though perhaps a little blander, probably due to less fat.

“Good work Molly I have to admit you area dab hand at copying — you’re not Japanese are you?”

A slight pause and the face on the vid screen in front of me put its tongue out. I had to laugh. Here I was joking with a computer while sat on the moon. Eating a  ¼ pounder …
And I was turning (or being turned) into a demi-god at the same time.

I went and turned in, my mind in a gear that produced a revving that sounded like Indianapolis 500 just getting under way- I think there must have been something in the Burger — I doubted anyone had slept with that much adrenalin in their system. My body felt strange and my situation was closer to Buzz Lightyear than Buzz Aldrin

When I awoke a while later, to the usual chirp of an electronic alarm, I realised that there was pretty much no sound. I was reminded of the Sci fi saying ‘in space, no one can hear you scream.’ I’d somehow allowed that I was on the moon and outside was an extremely hostile environment. Close to absolute zero in the shade and many hundreds of degrees in sunlight. If this tin can shut down, I was done for. I shuddered involuntarily at the sinister thought.

“If there’s a problem in the ship Molly, is there somewhere I can go to stay safe?”

“I have many backups Helen, each cabin can be self contained with a portion of control.
I can at last resort beam you straight back to Earth. That’s how I’m changing you so quickly, I’m rebuilding you at an energy level. By the way, notice any changes?”

I sat up and felt decidedly different, “what did you do then, turn me into a dwarf ?— everything looks bigger.”

“No Helen, that would be counter productive, what a silly idea.. but you are an inch or so shorter, I’ve just moved you from a sort of 20 year old guy with a 12 year old girl superimposed to a 15 year old girl with a 20 year old superimposed. How does it feel from your side?”

I rubbed my arms and they felt weak and soft — “I thought I was going to be a bit of a Tarzan’s Jane, but I feel sort of insignificant. I don’t feel like someone capable of living 1,000 years anyway.” I added questioningly.

Well there’s only one step to go now, to mature you to about 24 physically — that will give you more sureness in your actions and a better bone set — it’ll make you feel more solid. I’m not sure, but your genome is taking the change much better than I expected, 1,000 years may be pessimistic. Oh, and it’ll turn on your ovaries so stand by for a menstrual cycle from now on.” She continued without even pausing.

I paled a bit when I thought about it. “Um how many ova am I going to have? If I’m to be a queen bee, will I need to be producing heirs for generations or do I just get the one set of ova?” The thought intrigued me and though I was as frightened as hell, I was sort of getting used to the idea — from an abstract point of view — I still didn’t feel that the usual method of insemination was going to be a thrill ride for me. Though I did feel a sort of subliminal excitement in being the progenitor of humankind series 2.0 a sort of Eve mkII.

“Your body will be capable of producing heirs for 250 years. In that time I expect there to be about 3000 of your and your offspring’s offspring wandering about, leading the world into peace. You will be the royal family of Earth. The truly chosen ones”. I did a mental calc 3,000 eggs of my own! . An I wasn’t even feeling clucky.

“If the male offspring inseminate more than one woman it will of course be far more. The females will always be stronger than the males — this will truly be a matriarchy just like every other planet in the galaxy.
I have to add of course that the new gene will always prevail, all your offspring will be the new offshoot and be able to manifest their talents in the same way.”

I sat and sweated on the fact that I was the new Eve for a while. Not only that, but at least 1,000 years in which to inhabit what will become the garden of Eden if I get it right.

All the while Molly was chivvying me to try on what was fashionable back on Earth and she taught me the subtleties of female movement which I must practice before I let myself loose on society — I ate and slept and learnt for several sessions. Until I was dreaming of walking in heels and wearing skirts and dresses was natural — or at least more natural than previously believed possible. I knew Molly was conditioning me but I’d decided that there was little I could do — so didn’t.

“Makeup can be learned later wherever you are, but you must not stick out like a sore thumb. Notice what is worn around you, imitate and become the same. You’re going to go back to college next week and you will be taking Philosophy and Management majors. It won’t be difficult, what you must learn is how to control your mind and your body. How to fend off attack by miscreants. Preserve yourself and if you become desperate, leave Earth and we will start again — this is a long haul, you may not be compromised.
While you sleep, I shall instill in you the basics of martial arts. To be any use, they must be practiced and learnt the same way as everyone else does. Though you will be a jump more adept. You will also of course be a lot stronger. This period is not just for learning humanities, it is for socialization and for building a group of friends who will become the core of your court.”

On the second day — Molly had announced that I had been declared lost at sea. While I had been learning and sleeping, my parents had taken possession of my few bits and pieces and given my furniture, such as it was, to my friends from the beach. I felt pretty much alone that day — depressed and sad. 399,000 kilometres from Earth in a massive box that houses the treasures of a civilization that hasn’t even started to miss the previous occupant — 40,000 years overdue.

On the twelfth day — my days had been cycled by my awakeness and not tied to sidereal time, so I guessed that period. I woke to find my body fully mature and mind more alert to my surroundings. I rose and showered, sensing my form from a remote viewpoint like an hallucination. When I came out of the shower room, clothes were laid out on my bed. Mocassins, jeans, A scallop top with a flower patterned overshirt. Underwear was functional and cotton.

“Your apartment is stocked with clothing, this is what you will arrive in with a suitcase which awaits you on the port pad.”

“This is it eh?”

“Yes Helen, though of course you are welcome whenever you wish to drop by. I am aware at all times of your surroundings and may intervene if danger is imminent. Do not lose your key.” Molly admonished.

“I’ve never thought to ask, what does it look like outside?”

The screen in front of me clicked to a camera shot of a moonscape — sharp contrast and bright sunlight. It looked unforgiving. “Don’t beam me out there will you?”

“No Helen I won’t but be aware, if there’s someone holding onto you when you transport who shouldn’t be holding onto you, that’s where they’ll be when you materialize in here.”

I shuddered both at the scenario and the result. I hoped it wouldn’t happen, but over the course of a thousand years, what chance I would avoid it?
The time came and though I hadn’t thought about it much, I was feeling very much like the first time I left home to go to School. I had my parents to take a peak at and my funeral to attend.

“So long Molly, see you soon.” Though I really had never seen her at all. I heard the pad energise and that gut wrench and I was standing in an alcove just inside the door of Brisbane Arrivals with my suitcase in hand.

I walked outside and hailed a taxi to take me to town and settled into the front seat with a sigh of relief. My apartment was a little out of town but it was a bit of a hike in a taxi and the train stopped close enough. I wasn’t going to take trains often but they are convenient.
“Have a good trip then?”

“Oh yes thanks,” I said it without a tag for further questions and the driver called in his position and expected ETA. Pretty soon, after a short drive and a train trip, I was standing in front of my apartment.

The concierge got me to sign for my keys and checked my mail, of which there was lots and having checked I was me (I already had my driving license and Helen’s credit card), told me it was nice to meet me at last and let me go.
I’d never even thought about who I was or that I was now Helen and wondered if Molly had something to do with that. I was truly comfortable with who I was.

I opened the door of my apartment and was awestruck — I had views to the distant hills and it was a huge apartment. I’d never even seen it, bought sight unseen and the furniture was set out quite nicely — needed a bit of green thereabouts and stuff but it had a nice verandah and a huge lounge area. Marble top benches adorned the kitchen. Stainless steel bits and pieces like coffee grinders and stuff perched on designed-in ledges; this was not a cheap abode.

I sat and opened my mail, Passport, Medicare, bank accounts/cards, phone and electric connections- there was even a copy of my birth certificate.
I’m glad no one stole this lot they could have had my life!

My boxes were sat neatly to one side, I picked them up and though they were heavy, I walked them one in each hand through to their destinations and unpacked as I went. I figured they weighed about 150lbs each. I smiled inwardly — if someone messes with me, they’re going to get a shock.

I’d tested my reflexes on the ship and I came up at about the level of a martial arts master without the experience. I hadn’t trained mentally at that point and it was before my final surge of changes. This morning — I was ON THE MOON!

I phoned down to the concierge and asked if they had newspapers. He brought one up for me, local tabloid — Murdoch Press. I thanked him and asked him if he could order me a regular one please. It wasn’t a good paper, but it did the job.

I saw him covertly eyeing me up and leering slightly at me- he was about 25 and neatly built but I was out of his league and he knew it. I raised an eyebrow and he looked a bit sick and left.

I knew the town and all that was in it — Brisbane is a nice clean place with only 150 years of history as it is like all of Australia, built on convict settlements.
There’s not much to do after the sun goes down unless you want to party or whatever but it has a good Arts centre and some good plays. Eateries and Pubs abound of course — it is Austalia.

What I did need was a new car and somewhere to park it. I phoned concierge again and he told me there was an underground park that could be opened with my keytag. My apartment number was stenciled on my parking space
After a coffee and a check on funerals, I left to find the closest Mercedes dealer.
Two hours later I drove back with a second hand sports coupe — I have to admit the insurance was almost 1/3 of the price of the car but I wasn’t really concerned. I was an heiress to millions according to my bank account and heiress to the world according to my heritage — I was just breaking out of my shell, but I was already aware that I was in control of the space around me to the extent that the guy selling me the car knocked off $5,000 because I asked him to. I felt like a Jedi. “This is not the money you want for the car” I felt the shuffle vibrate against my chest. I plugged in my earphone.

“Please don’t draw attention to yourself, that $5,000 will not go unnoticed.” Molly was on my case already.

“Just practicing, honest Molly,” I answered, feeling thoroughly chastised.

“You don’t need the money, you could have bought a new one at the full price.”

“That would have attracted attention even more. I know young women don’t buy new Mercedes unless they wanted the attention of ‘Who’s who’ round here.”

“Point taken.” I unplugged my chaperone. You’re never alone with a Shuffle.

I decided to walk past the concierge without him noticing me — more practice. ‘These are not the legs you need to see,’ I thought at him and he didn’t even raise his head from the laptop he was using.

This could be fun.

up
173 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Return to Sender - Part 4

Wondering when she will find some male she likes.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

sender 4

Great story, keep them coming