The Ninth Fold - Hatbox and Doppler Press Premium

Printer-friendly version

Author: 

Audience Rating: 

Publication: 

Genre: 

Character Age: 

TG Themes: 

Permission: 

It might have been a perfect life....


Folding the Flag

The Ninth Fold

by Angela Rasch

Chapter One

Jenny had been brushing my hair for over ten minutes. Hanging to the middle of my back, it felt sensuous as her soft but insistent caressing lulled me into quiet reflection of the peaceful way of life we had created.

"The strangest thing happened to me after church on Sunday," Jenny said in a wandering voice that told me she was concentrating more on my hair than she was on her words. Jenny had her church and I had mine, which I picked based on its acceptance of transgendered members, even though no one in the congregation knew of my inclinations.

Although I maintained a feminine appearance more often than not, my totally feminine expression occurred only within the confines of our home. When I went out for groceries or other household necessities, I pulled my hair into a low ponytail, wore at least a top layer of male clothing, and removed all my make-up.

Jenny stopped brushing for a few seconds, as if collecting her thoughts had exhausted her energy. "I'd just pulled out of the church parking lot when I heard that bloop-bloop noise police cars make -- you know -- instead of a siren. When I looked in my rearview mirror, all I could see were blinking red and white lights."

Something distracted her. "I absolutely love your new fragrance," she said. She nuzzled my neck from where she sat behind me on the bed. Her nostrils found the spot where I'd placed a small drop of Cashmere Mist. Its subtle, elegant blend of jasmine, lily of the valley, sandalwood, amber, and musk affirmed my self-image.

She buried her nose in my neck and breathed deeply. "You smell like sexy baby powder. I have this over-whelming urge to mother you."

That wasn't exactly the response I'd wanted; I wanted to be ravished.

continued...


Read The Ninth Fold by Angela Rasch
Novelette free to 2007 annual subscribers through The Hatbox.
Also available from Doppler Press for $2.50.


up
54 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Angela always make us think ...

... and the Ninth Fold is no exception.

To paraphrase Shakespeare (which means I can't remember it well enough to quote accurately :) ) 'Methinks the lady doth protest too much' seems to fit the bill. I'm often suspicious of those who rant the most about things most people are, at worst, indifferent to, and Jenny seems a perfect embodiment of that. If there's weakness in the plot, it's that Jenny seems to have accepted Amy's behaviour, at least in part, for some time before the story begins. What initiated her discomfort? It's a minor fault, if fault it is, and doesn't spoil the story.

To say more may spoil enjoyment for new readers so I'll leave it at that.

As a Brit, the title was a puzzle, but Angela educated me and all is made clear.

I don't think Angela is capable of writing a story I don't enjoy, but I'd like her to keep trying.

Geoff

The road less travelled...

Jenny Walker's picture

Angela seems intent on redefining this genre for the better, bit by bit, with each story. You might think you know where you are going, you might notice the initial nod and tipping of the hat to what might be considered genre cliches, but before long, you realise you are on a very different path. She takes us the road less travelled by, and that indeed does make the difference.

Once I got over the trauma of finding my namesake in this story to be not an ideal embodiment of a 'Jen' as I might define it, I enjoyed the build up of tension, masterfully done through the initial conversation. The story then takes off with a bit of 'action' which leads to a wonderful culmination, denouement and satisfying aftermath.

Look, seriously, why are you still reading the comments? If you still can't decide whether or not to read this, just do what I tell you - go read now!

Thanks Angela once again for a stimulating read. Like Geoff I too had to be educated as to the origin of the story's title and the historical background. Education, stimulation, entertainment, provoking thought... what more could you want?

Jenny

The Ninth Fold

in this story was the discovery by Amy of herself and what love truly was - not the kowtowing and caving in to Jenny, but the true love, caring, and warmth Brad was all about and showed her (To me its about the soul - not the bodies that matter *always!* ~ Sephy). The Ninth Fold in the flag was also representative of Jenny & Amy's marriage... If only there were more Brads , or female versions of Brad, out there for all of us.... *sigh*

Excellent Story Angela! Your picturesque portrayal of the characters was right on the money, the appropriate emotions they were supposed to evoke did quite well within me... I would hope others would subscribe to the HatBox Subscription both to support our home here and to read this superb tale from Angela Rasch! It is WELL WORTH the read! I loved it.

Thank you so much Angela

Sephrena Lynn Miller

You haven't bought this book yet?

What're you waiting for? Memorial Day? That's next week! :grin: Buy it already, you'll like it.

-- Donna Lamb, Flack

-- Donna Lamb, ex-Flack

Some of my books and stories are sold through DopplerPress to help support BigCloset. -- Donna