'Neath Quicksilver's Moon - 6

Printer-friendly version
Quicksilver’s Moon
’Neath
Quicksilver’s
Moon

by Jaye Michael
Chapter Six ― Moon Madness

 

¿Hasta cuándo, oh simples, amarán la simpleza, Y los burladores se deleitarán en hacer burla, Y los necios aborrecerán el conocimiento?

— Proverbios 1:22

How long, O simpletons, will you love being simple-minded, and you tricksters delight in trickery, and you fools hate the truth?

— Proverbs 1:22

 

~~~~

 

Though they go mad they shall be sane,
Though they sink through the sea they shall rise again;
Though lovers be lost love shall not;
And death shall have no dominion.

Dylan Thomas

“And Death Shall Have No Dominion”

The man joined the mass of humanity waiting at the service gate and marched into the spaceport surrounded by several hundred similarly dressed stevedores and maintenance people interspersed with small clusters of attendants, guards and medical staff. His skin tone was the light brown tan of the vast majority of people around him, but his long light brown hair, tied in a ponytail behind the back of his head and his generous paunch, set him off from the majority of the crowd where Hispanic features were most prevalent. The result was that someone, dressed like a worker and acting like a worker, entered the port, but that someone was clearly not Juanito Gonzales.

As he had hoped, the guards at the gate never even looked up from their magazines. Juanito knew from personal experience that they were even less likely to examine people on the way out of the complex. After all, their incomes depended upon the kickbacks they got for looking sharp and attentive while actually looking the other way. Of course, that was minus the tithe they were required to pay their supervisors.

Just before reaching the loading docks, the man, who clearly did not look Hispanic, cut away from the crowd and joined a smaller group heading for the Immigrant Processing Building. He was one of the few workers in this group dressed in coveralls, but from his few trips into the building to deliver and uncrate some of the larger objects to arrive at the spaceport, the man knew there were no guards at that entrance. Juanito guessed he would get at least that far without being stopped and quickly discovered he was correct.

Once he was inside the building, he quickly made his way to the bathroom and commandeered a stall. The hair came off revealing his normal, straight black hair. The wig, one of his wife Margarita’s prize possessions, went into the duffel bag.

Next, the worn coveralls came off, uncovering a slightly rumpled white lab coat borrowed from Dr. Nevrith’s lab. An ancient pair of wire rim glasses with a mild prescription and a fake handlebar mustache also came out of the bag before Juanito stuffed it behind the toilet. Finally, hearing no one else in the bathroom, Juanito stepped out of the stall and examined himself critically in the mirror above the sinks.

The reflected image was, beyond a shadow of doubt, him; not the stranger he hoped it would be. There was no way he could believe even complete strangers would fail to recognize him on sight. The mustache was worst of all. It reminded him of a droopy worm. With a sigh of disappointment, he ripped it off and tossed it into the wastebasket. About to head out in search of his wife, he suddenly stopped, returned to the stored bag, and grabbed a clipboard and then re-hid the duffel bag.

One last glance at his reflection and then Juanito adjusted the stolen nametag, straightened his shoulders and stalked out of the bathroom, trying to look busy. He walked quickly and muttered as he glanced at his clipboard and then at the door, window or ceiling tile he happened to be by. In fact, he had no idea where he was going and was praying for a miracle.

“Hey! You!”

Juanito turned and glared at the woman standing by a nondescript door and wearing a white lab coat similar to the one he was wearing. “Yeah? What do you want? I’m busy here.”

“I need you to watch a patient for me.”

“Por qué? I mean, why?”

“I need to use the Lady’s Room. Now will you please do me a favor and watch this patient for me. I’ll be back in a couple of minutes.”

“Well. Okay, but make it fast. I’ve got to get this survey done.” Juanito hurried over to the door and glanced inside. It was an observation room with nothing but standard hospital life-support equipment, a desk and couple of chairs facing a picture window. Beside the window was the only door leading into the room under observation. He could not see what was in the other room from where he was. “What do I need to do?”

“Nothing. Just watch. I’ll be right back.” The woman was dancing impatiently.

“Go. I’ll watch.” Juanito pushed past her and stopped dead in his tracks. It was only good luck that the woman was already gone and so missed the look of shock and joy on his face.

“Margarita, mi amor.” The words escaped from his lips, he was so overwhelmed with joy. In the only bed in the room on the other side of the window, surrounded by machinery and wires, was his comatose wife.

In an instant, he was through the door leading into the room and bending over her. Weak pulse. Greenish tinge to her skin. Breathing shallow and ragged. Juanito debated whether it would be safe to remove her from her cocoon of wires.

“Thank you for coming, Señor.” The woman was smiling at him from the other side of the window...and the door was closing.

With a snarl, he lunged for the door, but it clicked shut before he could reach it. He tried the knob, but it was locked and slamming his body into it did nothing. The window was the next escape option and Juanito picked up the metal chair next to the bed and used it like a baseball bat. The window was unbreakable. Juanito was getting a bad feeling and the woman, merely standing there calmly watching, accentuated his fears.

Frantically, Juanito scanned the room for a window, another door; a...he didn’t know what. There was nothing.

-=Printing Ornament Separator=-

“Dr. Nevrith, I am not asking your opinion of the ethics of the task I have set before you. I am asking you for an explanation of the details surrounding the death of that boy Pablo Gonzales.” Barbara Big Horse was a stone-cold bitch. It was not just gender, it was a way of life; and she was proud of it. Short and fat, with the straightest, dullest black hair, “Babs” or “Barbie,” as she was disparagingly called behind her back, would never win any beauty contests; especially not as “Miss Congeniality.” Knowing this from an early age, the decision to control that which she could was an easy one. As Chief of Planetary Security, she was easily the most feared person on Quicksilver.

“But he died of a blow to the head, didn’t he?”

“And he had some kind of indigenous part animal, part plant, pseudo-spirochaetes in his blood stream along with another hybrid mass growing in his brain, something native to this planet, we believe, since it’s certainly nothing from Earth. That’s not supposed to be possible, since the native plant life is uniformly toxic to every form of terrestrial life. You are the expert on the local plant life and I want a full report on my desk in less than forty-eight hours.” When he did not jump, she continued. “Or would you prefer to have your current research deemed non-essential?”

“You’re not on the Research Review Board.” While he spoke as if unconcerned, Dr. Nevrith was flustered. The Research Review Board of the World Senate had paid for his travel to Quicksilver. If his research authorization was rescinded he’d be out of a job, and would be required to leave Quicksilver immediately or find a job on the planet. He didn’t have the personal funds for a return trip — no one did, the only way home was at government expense — and the only person he knew not involved with research was Juan, who was missing and had a bounty on his head, just like the doctor’s Triffs.

“Of course I’m not,” she smiled coldly up at him. There were enough rumors describing how she had members of every Board tied around her little finger that Dr. Nevrith knew he had no choice.

“Very well. I’ll do what I can.” He hung his head in self-loathing for what he was about to do as he left to return to his lab.

“Oh,” the smile never wavered. “And you’ll bring whatever you need to the isolation ward of the Inpatient Processing Building and do your work there.”

-=Printing Ornament Separator=-

Juanito had lost track of what day it was. He muttered to himself and wiped the cold sweat off his brow with a sleeve as he examined the room for what seemed like the hundredth time since his incarceration. There was a locked door, an unbreakable window, two hospital beds including the one they added for him after his capture, and the medical equipment hooked up to Margarita.

Two large, threatening-looking men in security uniforms delivered food through the door. They made him stand at the far corner of the room with his back to them, hands on the wall. One brought a food tray just far enough into the room to permit the door to close while the other took just two steps into the room, gun pointed unswervingly at Juanito’s back. Before entering, he seemed to take pleasure in standing in front of the picture window while he checked the clip to show Juanito that the gun was loaded and that the safety catch was off.

The entire time he had been imprisoned, Margarita had not wakened once. Where her breathing had originally been shallow but regular like a normal sleeper, it was now labored and erratic. Where her skin had initially had a slight greenish hue to it, now it was the rich green of the average houseplant. Where her skin had been creamy and smooth, it was now pocked with hundreds of small oozing boils.

Despite his pleas, the only treatment provided his wife was the life support she had been on when he first arrived; that and regular bloodletting that also included Juanito and that he assumed was being used for some type of lab work. In fact, no one would speak to him, instead using simple to understand sign language such as a pointed gun. Juanito had been feeling dizzier and dizzier from meal to meal but fought to continue pacing from one end of the room to the other. The shadowy reflection in the picture window showed a man with vibrantly green skin slowly collapsing to the floor.

-=Printing Ornament Separator=-

“I have yet to see your report Dr. Nevrith.” The voice was quiet and cheerful but the eyes belied the sincerity of the Security Chief’s smile.

“I need to examine the bodies. It’s the only way to determine the effects of the spirochete on the host’s body.”

“You have a body, the boy’s.”

“But the boy is dead and so is the spirochete. It seems to disintegrate quickly in a nonliving body. There’s so little left I can’t even match it to any of the known variants of Quicksilver flora. I need to see what it does to a human body.”

“I will provide you with blood samples and symptomology.”

“That’s not good enough. I need to examine an infected human being to see what the spirochete does to a body over time.”

“No, you don’t, doctor. The bodies of the other two infected humans are no longer available. Now you need to find a way to kill it. Later, when we can control it, we’ll worry about what else it does to the human body.”

“If that’s all you want,” he said bitterly. “Just make sure any infected human is ‘disposed of’ like they were and there will be no problem.”

“Very funny doctor. Go back to work. I’m busy.”

-=Printing Ornament Separator=-

It was one of the rare dark periods on Quicksilver when Verne, the gas giant sun that Quicksilver circled, and both Vares, Quicksilver’s moons, were below the horizon. The Immigrant Processing building was noisy as only an empty building can be, with none of the sounds of human habitation, just the pings of heat contraction and the groans of durasteel readjusting to seismically-induced settling. The guards had made their rounds about fifteen minutes earlier and Dan Nevrith had just finished the last of his pre-departure cleanup when he heard the sound. It was faint and, at first, he dismissed it as his imagination, but it would not go away and he finally decided to figure out what it was. However, that was not very easy. In fact, it was actually easier to decide what it was not. It was not the building and it was not the shuffling of the guards as they moved from key site to key site. It did not sound mechanical and it did not sound like any of the usual weather related events. It sounded like...like...he could not tell. With a sigh, Dan stood and began wandering up and down the building’s hallways. He knew he would not be able to rest until he knew what the noise was.

Dan had become a scientist because of his curiosity. His mother had always told him about how “curiosity killed the cat,” but she had never told him what a cat was. This forced him to look it up and discover that it was a nearly extinct species of fur-covered animal that minimally coexisted with man. The same curiosity that led him to discover what cats were and that led him to become a scientist now prompted him to listen and wonder.

He wandered aimlessly, but ever closer to the noise. It now sounded like a faint bell chime. A few more turns and it sounded like a large object vibrating, as if being struck to an irregular rhythm. There was melodiousness to the sound that still made him think of a chime, but he was now sure it could not be that.

One more corner and there was a light coming from a doorway. Dan was about to turn into the light when he heard the shuffling gait of the night security guard. Quickly making a note of the hallway and door, Dan silently headed back to his office. Babs was already unhappy with him for disagreeing with her and he did not want to give her paranoid mind more reason to distrust him.

Back at his temporary lab, Dan quickly packed and headed for the main exit. At the exit, he stopped briefly to talk to the guard so there would be no question that he had left. After the door was unlocked so he could leave, Dan quickly left the spaceport and headed to his office to check on his new specimen. The Security Chief’s summons and his consequent frenetic efforts to provide the answers she demanded had prohibited him from returning to his greenhouse/office for the past three days.

Dr. Nevrith made it through the new security check that had been set up at the gate nearest his lab without incident and then trudged off down the gravel road. It was only a few hundred paces before he reached the turnoff for his lab, and was surprised to see that the automatic lighting had failed. Where he should have seen the glow of industrial size glow lights, there was darkness.

Stopping at the front entrance, he slapped the light switch but nothing happened. “Damn,” he muttered to himself, “the power’s out again.” Rather than try working in the darkness, he turned and shuffled tiredly home, missing the faint sound of rustling leaves inside the greenhouse.

-=Printing Ornament Separator=-

Juanito woke with a gritty taste in his mouth and feeling terribly cold despite the perspiration pouring off his body. Raising a nearly fluorescent green hand to wipe the crust off his eyes, he shivered violently as he turned over and scrunched further under the covers. Too cold to go back to sleep and too ill to return to his routine of pounding against the durasteel picture window, he listened to the now familiar sounds of the room. Beside the bed of his wife, the life support monitor was beeping. He could hear her breathing, syncopated between his own slower breaths. There was a fan bowing somewhere inside the walls, because he could faintly hear the motor under the slightly louder rsh of the air through a vent somewhere above him. Finally, there were the sounds of the building as it gently shifted and flexed. There’d been another earthquake last night, and wherever he was, it was settling into a new equilibrium with the restless surface of Quicksilver.

He felt strangely calm, perhaps because of his own illness; whatever was happening to his wife, it was happening to him as well, so he knew they’d be together as long as the people who held the keys still feared them. When they came into the room, they were dressed in biohazard suits, shadowed by armed guards, and both... nurses? technicians? and guards were visibly nervous, moving very carefully lest they snag their suits on something and be exposed to whatever was making them sick. As much as it could be in this prison, all was right with the world...or was it?

Something was wrong. Juanito was not exactly sure what to do. He heard a rattling wheeze, then another, and then one last wheeze, louder than the ones before. Then, there was nothing, and a shrill wailing alarm tone from beside Margarita’s bed. In an instant, he was beside his wife, cajoling as he pushed desperately on her chest trying to get her to resume breathing. In the background was the continuous shrill tone of the alarm as the life support machine gave raucous testimony to the stillness of her heart.

“Margarita, querida mia, my sweet pearl.” Juanito sobbed as he held his wife’s limp head in his arms, kissing her green lips and crying. “Vuelve, por favor. Come back to me. ¡Vuelve a mí, tu amigo más fiel! Alma mia, my soul, ¡tu no me dejes solo!”

-=Printing Ornament Separator=-
~~~~

Copyright © 1993, 2010, 2011 by Jeffrey M. Mahr

All rights reserved.

 

DEDICATION:

To my loving wife, Betty. She completes me.

up
61 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I get the impression that

I get the impression that you scrambled the timeline of the chapters... That the first chapter is somewhere out of the middle of the story and this is the sequel.

Well whatever, the humans are infected by an extraterrestial plant. It's rather strange imho... that plant should be eaten by the immune system since it shouldn't have a way to block it or avoid it.
I wonder what it does and if the plant is the reason for the shape change stuff.

I hope Juanitos wife survives. (Or does he absorb her DNA and turns into her and stabilises his form with that transformation *random idea pop up* and she dies...)

Thank you for writing this very interesting story,

Beyogi

On the flip side

"since it shouldn't have a way to block it or avoid it."
Maybe, but using the same logic, the person's immune system would have no way or recognising it.

Parallel Viewpoints

Puddintane's picture

The scenes on Quicksilver are in a planetary system far, far away. The scenes on Earth are on Earth. The second chapter tells us that they're thirty years away from each other in real time, and the strongly implied existence of relatively instantaneous non-physical communication* between the two space-time coordinate systems introduces an essential paradox which will become important later on in the story.

The events within each separate timeline follow a strict Newtonian ordering.

Cheers,

Puddin'

* Perhaps in the form of Ursula K. Le Guin's "ansible," a device which permits superluminal or instantaneous communication between any two points in the known universe.

A tender heart is an asset to an editor: it helps us be ruthless in a tactful way.
--- The Chicago Manual of Style

-

Cheers,

Puddin'

A tender heart is an asset to an editor: it helps us be ruthless in a tactful way.
--- The Chicago Manual of Style

Thirty years difference?

Um, can you point on the relevant quotes for that?

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Chapter 2

Puddintane's picture

His thoughts traveled the light years back from his adopted homeland to the planet of his birth, a difficult journey, because even with the Skinner Drive, his Earth was thirty-five years in the past. His childhood friends would be old by now, thinking about retirement, and by the time he got back, they’d all be dead.

This is a subtle work, I think. Jaye has a complex mind which delights in deep connexions...

Cheers,

Puddin'

A tender heart is an asset to an editor: it helps us be ruthless in a tactful way.
--- The Chicago Manual of Style

-

Cheers,

Puddin'

A tender heart is an asset to an editor: it helps us be ruthless in a tactful way.
--- The Chicago Manual of Style

'Neath Quicksilver's Moon - 6

What's happening to Juanito?

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine