A Prayer Answered: Chapter 12

Printer-friendly version
  The story continues at the hospital, with Brenda’s life on the line everyone is on edge. A short chapter.
 
And Now...

 
A Prayer Answered
Chapter Twelve
By Sara D.

Chapter 12
 
“Look kids, I know you are now close to Brenda, and I thank you for that. I will give your dad a call and let you know what happens.” Just then Dad and mom both walked in followed by haggard red headed women.

“Kimmy, what happened.”

“Mom,” Kim looked as if she saw a ghost. “My date was attacked and stabbed at the dance.” Kim said in a panic.

I was confused as I looked at both their reactions and Mr. Chambers’ reaction. Mom and dad looked confused too.

“Brenda was attacked by some man that was outside the dance, but I tackled him before he could get away.” Brian told Mrs. Sanders.

“Who’s Brenda?” Mrs. Sanders asked looking even more confused than before.

Kim looked as she was about to puke “my date.”

“Your date” Mrs. Sanders said as she sat next to her on the bench seat? “Are you telling me you went to the dance with another girl?” She took a deep breath. “It’s ok if you did.” And Mrs. Sanders comforted her daughter by taking her hand in hers.

“Sort of” Kim said squeezing her mom’s hand. “Can we talk about this later; I just want to hear how Brenda’s doing.”

“Sure honey, let’s go see how your friend is doing.” Mrs. Sanders said calmly.

“That’s a good idea” Mr. Chambers said “I need to see if she’s going to be ok.” He was visibly shaken as he pushed the button on the elevator control.

As we all reached the nurses’ station, an older gray haired nurse showed us into the surgery waiting room. We all sat down except for Mr. Chambers, obviously stressed over the situation.

“Do you know how my daughter Brenda Chambers is doing?” Mr. Chambers asked the nurse.

“I know she was rushed into surgery, and I can’t tell you more than that at this point. Dr. Morris and his team will do everything they can, and will update you on her condition as soon as they can. Until then I suggest you try and rest while you wait.” The nurse said as she went back to her counter.

We all tried to pass the time with outdated magazines and channel surfing with the television in the waiting room. Mr. Chambers alternated from sitting on a chair to passing the room several time in the past hour. Brian and I kept fiddling with our clothes the entire time; Brian was fiddling with his bow tie while I continued to smell my corsage and nervously pulled on my necklace. I pulled my cell phone from my purse and informed dad of what had happened and that Brian and I were ok and were waiting in the hospital. He told me to call him back as soon as I learned more.

Amy, Matt, Gina and Paul were picked up shortly after I hung up and taken home by Amy’s parents. Amy and Gina both asked me to call them and give both of them updates.

About and two hours into our waiting I was staring at the clock and just before 11pm a doctor walked into the waiting room with a very grim face. And as I looked into his face I could feel in the pit of my stomach and my head started to spin and in the my heart I just knew he had bad news.

Mr. Chambers stood up from his half seated position and faced the Doctor as he walked in.

“Mr. Chambers, I’m Dr. Morris the ER surgeon, I have news about your daughter Brenda.” He said somberly, you could see the blood drain from Mr. Chambers face and Dr. Morris began again. “Your daughter was brought in with severe damage to her lower abdomen and groan area, it took us several hours to repair her tissue and we were able to stop the bleeding. As of right now she is stable but critical condition.”

“Oh thank God” Mr. Chambers said and sat down with relief.

“Your daughter is going to have a long recovery ahead of her, most importantly we need to watch for infection and keep a close watch on her groin area. We were able to stitch her up well enough for now, but since there is excessive swelling in the area we have to closely watch her so that she does not lose use of her genitalia.” He said the last part quietly as to protect her secret.

“It’s ok Doctor, everyone here knows about her former self and she is seeing a therapist to transition at some point.” I looked over and saw a very confused look on Mrs. Sanders Face. “What do you think the outcome will be?” Mr. Chambers asked.

“Like I said, it will be touch and go from here, abdominal surgery has risks of infection, we found a few small injuries in her intestine and cleaned the area as best we could, but the risk is still there for infection and your daughter needs to be closely watched for now. She’s in recovery now and should be awake in a few hours. If you wish to stay here Mr. Chambers that is your decision, as for her friends, visiting hours are 8 am to 10 am and 4pm to 10pm, and I recommend you let her get some rest until tomorrow evening before to many visitors come to see her.”

“Thank you Dr. Morris” Mr. Chambers told him as he gave the doctor a handshake. Dr. Morris then walked out and then Mr. Chambers turned to us. “Thank you all for being here to support Brenda and giving me the support I need at this time as well. You all must be tired, and I am sorry you missed out on your night. Kim you are welcome to come by and see Brenda any time you wish.” Mr. Chambers said and gave her a hug.

“Thank you Mr. Chambers, I know it’s going to be a rough road ahead and I will support Brenda all I can.” Kim said turning to her mother.”

Mr. Chambers turned to the rest of us “Thank you all for being here for Brenda and me” he said “It’s been a tough road for us all.” He finished and half smiled at while glancing at me, in an obvious attempt to apologize for things past.

Brian and I gave our goodbyes and left the hospital, while Kim went home with her mother. I pulled out my cell and texted Amy and Gina about what the doctors had told us. I then called my dad and told him that Brian and I were on our way home.

When we arrived home both mom and dad gave us big hugs as we got out of the now empty limo. “I am so glad you two are alright” dad said while squeezing me tight. “And you too Brian, Mrs. Sherman explained what had happened and I am very proud of what you did.” Brian smiled and thanked dad then told him “Officer Thompson will be here in the morning just to get your statement; he also said he wanted to thank you as well.

“Ok, I’ll be ready.” Brian simply said.

“Well I am tired and need sleep.” I told everyone.

“You’ve both had a long night, I am sorry it did not go well” Mom said “good night to both of you, I’ll help you with your dress Sandy.”
With mom’s help my dress was off and in its carrier in no time. “Good night sweetheart” she said and kissed me on the cheek, “sleep well.”

“Thanks, you too” I said returning the kiss on the cheek.

As I turned to my mirror to clean off my make up, I couldn’t help but think to myself ‘Is this all worth it.”


 
To Be Continued... And please leave a comment...

up
70 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

As has been mentioned elsewhere...

Andrea Lena's picture

...it's all worth it. I imagine having to question any of my life decisions, based not on what was best for me and my family, but based instead on the opinions of others; which in turn were based on ignorance and bigotry and hatred. This is very frightening story, and I'm glad that at least for the moment things are okay. Thank you.


Dio vi benedica tutti
Con grande amore e di affetto
Andrea Lena

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

A Prayer Answered: Chapter 12

To be attacked so young! I hope that Brenda does not have nightmares! It is possible that she has hysterical amnesia

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

new

this was a new story for me. i had not read any of it before. i am glad i found it very interesting concept going here. looking forward to next chapter. keep up the good work.
robert

001.JPG

‘Is this all worth it.”

Pamreed's picture

Yes it is!! Sandy will figure that out and as time goes on and she has more time as her true self!!
This journey is not an easy one!! There were nights after I transitioned when I cried myself to sleep
with these same questions!! But you know what "IT GETS BETTER"!!! I had a similar experience to Brenda.
One night not long after I transitioned some friends asked me to go to bar they knew for dancing! I
went and after dancing for a while I was hot and went out into the parking lot for air. I was soon
surrounded by 3 men who had followed me out. They began to yell ugly things and say I deserved to die!!
They started punching me and one of them pushed me to the ground!! Then they started kicking me!!
I thought I was going to die. But some guys came out and chased them off!! They wanted to call the police.
I told them no, do not call the police I begged!! You see I was afraid that the police would blame me
and maybe do something to me. I know, but I was new to living as a girl and was still being yelled at
in public as I was still not very good at dressing and makeup and looked like a guy in a dress!!
That was in 1998 and I still have nightmares about it!! Thankfully I got better at being a girl and
the hormones helped change my body!! I had my SRS 4 years ago and today I have no problems
in public, I am accepted as a woman!! So please do not take the story in the direction that Sandy decides
that it is too difficult to be her true self!! Also Sara I was so pleased to see a new chapter. I kept
looking and looking!! Thanks Pamela

I've just read the story to this point.

I love it! Now, if only Grandpa could get his brain started...

And now, to read the last chapter!

Wren