Sweat and Tears 41

Printer-friendly version

CHAPTER 41
Three years we had at Bangor, three years of growth mental and physical, and although I know I am biased my Emily became daily more beautiful.

We kept pushing with the TLG group, which was quite an introduction to pettiness and pink politics.

One of the givens of student life is that all students know everything from the day of their arrival, and are often happy to share that view with anyone whose ear they can catch. They are also the first to come up with any particular insight, and the first ever to have suffered from any specific problem. That led to a few personality collisions, as so many of our fellow ‘pinks’ were as narrow in their thinking as the ‘straights’ they so often derided for their narrowness of viewpoint.

We had lesbians who wanted all men exterminated, even gay men, for the simple fact that they weren’t women. We had gay men whose attitude to women was best summed up by “Why?” Both types had real issues with Tessa, the ultra-feminists of the time taking their lead from people like Germaine Greer, and deriding her as a surgically mutilated man, while the more over-the-top gay men called her a coward.

She snapped back at one of the latter during a visit to us.

“So I’m a coward who is pretending not to be gay? A coward? No balls, then?”

She pretended to rummage in her knickers. “Nope, no balls there. Just the way I like it!”

Emily got a lot of grief from some of the harder-edged dykes, who pointed out that she was clearly in denial, having a boyfriend who looked so much like a girl. Mostly she just replied along the lines of having had better chat-up lines from more attractive people, but I will always remember the first time I heard her tell somebody to fuck off and die. Tessa and I may have lost our balls, but Emily had enough to spare.
As for me, I was just in limbo. Neither fish nor fowl, the good thing was that I existed largely in my own world, shared with Emily and Tom, and regular visitors from the real world outside. I have referred to the abusive people as men and women but, in reality, so many of them were really still children, and this was their chance to try and become who they felt they were, and live. It was exactly what Tessa had been trying to do when she ended up bleeding to death in some kitchen alley in London.

That sounds nasty, as if all the students were queuing up to have a go, like a return to Bowness, but it wasn’t like that. The vast majority of students were either neutral, as they were strangers to us, or supportive. I refined my FTW philosophy to add the rider that when the small-minded spoke, they were to be invited to speak elsewhere.

My running kept me well-known, though, and I even managed to put up a handful of new Extremes on the slate I was learning to enjoy. Three years….

Iain had started at Loughborough on a sports science and education course, and Tessa was by all accounts (mostly hers, in lurid detail) making up for her lost years in a huge way. Every visit saw her more confident, more upright in her stance, and the times she slapped down some of the harder-edged bra-burners were joys to behold.

I never understood that bit, the braless fashion. I mean, if ever a man had an insight into female anatomy it was me, and the thought of doing anything energetic without a bra, that didn’t involve being naked with my bride-to-be, was unthinkable. Ouch!”

The mood swings of my youth had passed, but oddly I found myself synchronising little periods of irritability with Em’s PMT, as women who live together tend to do, and that confused me. I talked it through with her.

“Love, I have options still, I just don’t know what to do about them”

“You’re doing the ‘manly’ thing again, aren’t you? Cut ‘em off, grow a beard, that sort of thing”

“Well….yes”

“What would you get out of it, love? Short arse bloke with a set of hips, a flat chest and a wisp of hair on the chin?”

“Well, perhaps I would be more me than I am now”

“Would you? And what would it change? “

“Self respect? I don’t know. I just feel I’ve got too used to this body, and that’s not right”

“Self respect, you say? With your strength, you know better than that. Love, I just want you to be happy, and I don’t think you would be any happier by letting them cut you up again. Besides…..I’m used to this body too”

She did something very nice with her lips and tongue at that point, and that sort of stopped me talking. She brought her head back up to kiss me.

“And I rather like this body, and love its owner to bits”

Which ended that train of thought. She was right, though. I could never be a man again, not really, and as I have said I could still glance down and see the proof of my real gender, if I looked past my tits. That was a moment when I felt really confused. They were mine, even though I hadn’t wanted them, but Emily clearly did want them. She did things to them that were amazing, and although I know it is a dreadful pun, they were growing on me. It made no real sense to me at all at the time, but I was seeing myself through her eyes now as well as my own, and it was easier.

How I would have coped without her balance, her love, I do not know. I had visions of the figure she described, a travesty of a man, and knew that she was managing to bring me to compromise, if not actual acceptance.

I still wanted Mitchell dead, though. That would never, ever change.

Finals came along, and we did all the usual cramming and sleepless panic, followed by an excess of alcohol. Tom drove us back to Cumbria in a Luton van, all our belongings piled up in the back and Bangor left behind. It was odd, because unlike so many of the other climbers, I was leaving university merely to move somewhere else with easy access to the hills. Our first stop was home, as I now knew my parents’ place, and a round of hugs from Brian and Karen. Tom ran Emily home, and I suddenly felt lost. For three years we had lived, effectively, as man and wife, and suddenly she wasn’t there. I knew there was a need for her to see her own family, but a little bit of jealousy stepped in. She was mine, now…I got through the first night, in a bed too big for one, and the next day I was distracted from my pining and my book by Karen’s shout.

“Stevie! Visitor!”

It turned out to be Miss Graham, of all people. Yet another hug, and the tea was poured, and she came straight to the point.

“What are your plans now you have your degree?”

“I don’t yet, we still have to wait for the results”

“Don’t be silly, we both know you’ve passed. No, what are you looking to do as a career?”

I really hadn’t thought about that, and said so. My aim had been, all along, to study something I loved and prove myself to others with that bit of paper.

“Stephen, I have a suggestion, and I think it is worth consideration. You could teach. I have heard you speak, and to be honest you could go into politics, but I suspect you would find that just a little bit distasteful. Or, you could take the necessary training courses and use your gifts to open the eyes of children. I would have you, you know, at Netherhall. You not only have the skills, but you have the ethos. And I feel you have the passion to get it across. Will you think about it?”

That was another turning point. She was right; I had seen no further ahead than my exams, and now there was a new target, and if t worked each year would bring a steady flow of fresh-faced challenges. I rang Em, and to no surprise at all she confirmed that Hilda had already been to see her with a similar offer. She giggled down the phone.

“Lover, that leaves us just one question. Do I teach as Miss Kerr or Mrs Jones?”

I laughed. “I think, from what Kaz says, that either way you’ll be teaching next to Mrs Skinner!”

A few days later we were in Em’s mother’s car, as Em drove us down to Eskdale for a few days in Boot. Nana was there, of course, to welcome us, and Arthur and Meg had a cake, and then the Toffs and Tessa turned up with the usual bottles of fizzy. A few days of running with Nana while the girls hit the beach, of climbing with the boys (we finally did CB) while she ran up the back with a new (gas) stove to have tea waiting for us, sunshine and rain, laughter and love.

And Emily and I decided it would be as Mrs Jones, and the date was set, the vicar at St Catherine’s being more than happy to set a May day aside for our celebration. I took Sid to one side a few days after we got back, and he cried as he agreed to be my best man, and I toyed with the idea of sending the Cunninghams a souvenir photo.

It was all so wonderful, but somewhere, somewhere, Mitchell lay hidden.

up
115 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

acceptance of his situation

'“Love, I have options still, I just don’t know what to do about them”

“You’re doing the ‘manly’ thing again, aren’t you? Cut ‘em off, grow a beard, that sort of thing”

“Well….yes”

“What would you get out of it, love? Short arse bloke with a set of hips, a flat chest and a wisp of hair on the chin?”

“Well, perhaps I would be more me than I am now”

“Would you? And what would it change? “

“Self respect? I don’t know. I just feel I’ve got too used to this body, and that’s not right”

“Self respect, you say? With your strength, you know better than that. Love, I just want you to be happy, and I don’t think you would be any happier by letting them cut you up again. Besides…..I’m used to this body too”'

I like her attitude. But I know, for me, I am more like Tessa. Its either change, or die.

"Treat everyone you meet as though they had a sign on them that said "Fragile, under construction"

dorothycolleen

DogSig.png

Sweat and Tears 41

Can't help but believe that Mitchell will turn up to hurt Steve again.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Not only Germaine Greer ...

... who seems to get nastier in every column she writes but Julie Bindel as well. The latter has written that she believes men only have SRS so they can ogle women in public toilets FFS. Seems a pretty serious step to me. Unfortunately both write in the Grauniad.

Luton vans seem to have been the transport of choice for students. I recall moving my sister to Huddersfield and finding she kept one fact secret - the nearest we could get to the house she'd rented was at the foot of a flight of 39 steps. Nearly broke my back.

Wouldn't Emily and Steve need to attend a post-grad teaching course before taking up an appointment with Miss Graham? Not sure how it worked then.

Robi

Training and Greer

Hilda does suggest the training courses....

Greer, and the others. Perhaps....as a man's sexual response is usually focussed somewhere in a part that gets sliced and diced for SRS, her logic is somewhat lacking. I could write an awful lot of abuse about them, but it would turn into a tirade. The trouble with feminists of that ilk is that they sit on a fence between equality and special pleading. They want everything men have (early death, higher suicide rate, alcoholism, violent attacks, equal pay) but they also plead that women are special, different from men, kinder, sweeter, saner.

Dear sisters: if we ARE all the same, as Money and co asserted, then there can be no GID or special pleading for women. If we are different, then not only is there a life behind your special pleading but there is reality to GID. You can't argue that women and men are all the same, but 'real' women are different. In other words, grow up.

All women are created equal...

Andrea Lena's picture

...Some women are more equal than others. Georgette Orwell Tranimal Farm



Dio vi benedica tutti
Con grande amore e di affetto
Andrea Lena

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

I confused, and suspect I need to re-reread something...

Tessa bled to death? Is this a view of the future, or a different Tessa?

Other than that, this is a great chapter. I like the idea of Steve as a teacher (I'm slowly working to become one myself), and I hope he doesn't have too many problems with presentation. I have little experience with English schools, but what I have read suggests that they are rather strict as to uniforms and such.

This is very good, and very different from some of your other stuff. I like it (but don't kill off Tessa!).

Wren

Tessa

Hyperbole, just a strong phrase to bring back the image of a despairing girl sitting behind a wheely bin full of carrot peelings and chicken bones, watching her life leave her through her left wrist.

Re: Uniforms

School uniforms usually only apply to the students not the teachers. The teachers tend to get to wear what they like. If the is a dress code for the teachers its likely to be a business suit, something that won't cause Steve much problem as he can afford to get custom tailored suits.

Also the school is the one which he previously attended without issues regarding clothing. Not an issue.

Exactly

The dress code I remember from that time was whatever happened to be in fashion...for the teachers

Our masters ...

... all wore gowns in various states of disrepair over either 3 piece suits or sports jackets and flannels. They looked like giant black-winged birds of prey as they swooped down the middle of the corridors and boys clung to the walls to let them pass freely as school rules dictated.

The best maths master we had, used bits of his gown as a pair of compasses to draw beautiful geometry diagrams on the blackboard. Geometry was my favourite subject. He was incredibly strict but, underneath it all, a lovely man and highly regarded by staff and pupils alike.

Corporal punishment was almost unknown, though wooden blackboard rubbers were thrown with various grades of accuracy at miscreants in class. I don't recall anybody's being hurt :) I don't remember any serious bullying either.

This was in a 1950s state boys' grammar school.

Robi

The One Good Thing About Germaine Greer

joannebarbarella's picture

Is that she went to England and stayed there.

WE DON'T WANT HER BACK!

Or Clive James...or Rolf Harris.

If you try to send them back, it's war,

Joanne

One thing you have to admit about her...

Andrea Lena's picture

...no matter how irrelevant or even incoherent her writing has become? Her observations are always...Germaine?



Dio vi benedica tutti
Con grande amore e di affetto
Andrea Lena

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

Uni

When I finally got to Uni, 1971 to 1975 (very late,very travelled and yet still very nervous about 'coming out',) I was too damned self conscious about the missing bits (The missing chunks more properly.) of my education.
Yes, I met women's libbers and stong-minded know-alls of every sexual hue but TV's were not that obvious cos nobody cross dressed for lectures. Consequently, for me, the LGB thing had no relevance and I therefore did nothing to participate in college societies or extra-curricular stuff.

What I did do however was buy a small terraced house in Cardiff and rent it out to fellow students. (I'd been working and saving for nearly 12 years by then.)

For me, Uni, believe this or believe it not, was something of a 'missed opportunity'.

Good chapter Steph. It deals well with the gradual prising of the LGB doors open to accept the 'T'. There were some unbelievably prejudiced pricks around during the seventies (and some 'twats') who turned me off participating in Pink politics.

I was too uptight and afraid to take any really active part in the struggle because I felt myself disagreeing so strongly. I thought I must be on another planet when it came to pink activism.

Funny how things change. I don't give a toss now and attend TG awareness meetings fully dressed.

I too wonder when Mitchell is going to turn up.

Beverly.

Growing old disgracefully.

bev_1.jpg

Brass tubes

Aljan Darkmoon's picture

Tessa and I may have lost our balls, but Emily had enough to spare.

“Brass (fallopian) tubes” is the most sensible term I’ve heard applied to a biological woman’s intestinal fortitude.