Sweat and Tears 37

Printer-friendly version

CHAPTER 37
I stood outside the car in shock. The place stank of wet smoke, of burnt plastic and cloth. I knew, at that point, with absolute conviction that the bastards had finally got one of us, and cursed my lack of conviction in dragging her off to foreign parts.

Em came up and hugged me, as Tom took a closer look.

“Aye, Stevie, tha’ll have to stay in the Inn tonight, teach me to play about with me stove in a power cut”

She was stood behind me, dressings on her hands, and I couldn’t help breaking down completely in tears as I hugged the most important person in my life along with Iain. Em and Sally were sobbing with relief, and I almost crushed her in my broken-hearted joy. The cottage was burnt, but she was here, whole, and that was all that mattered.

She led us into the bar, where Arthur’s wife Meg was serving, and the man himself came out with similar dressing on his arms and what looked like a sunburnt face. There was something odd about it, and then I realised that he had lost his eyebrows.

“Arthur saw the flames, lad, and I was the wrong side of them, and then the stairs were ahad, so the daft big bugger puts the door in and comes through the fire for us, so I’ll be saying thanks for a while”

Arthur looked embarrassed at the praise, but I could see how much damage he had done in getting her out.

“Aye, Stevie, I’ll be billing Ada for a new shirt and jacket, the old’uns are a bit spoiled”

Nana filled us in on the rest of the story, of a night with a power cut that left her without lights or electric kettle, and so she had set up the old primus as always, happy to brew on the old kitchen table, but something had distracted her, she said, and putting the stove down onto the table she had somehow missed the edge, and the stove had fallen onto the fuel container underneath. She hadn’t capped it, it fell over, and before she knew what was happening something akin to a hand grenade had gone off in the kitchen, leaving her caught between an inside wall and the flames.

“Aye” said Arthur, “and one of the old lads says, has Ada got some giant bloody candles on in there, cause it’s all flickering, and then I realise the front room door’s alight, and then the stairs, so I goes round to the back, and I can see her in the kitchen all stuck like, so I puts the back door in and gets her out”

As simple as that, as he told it. In fact, he had tried the front door but the flames were roaring, and at the back they were just a little lower. Seeing his friend trapped he had put his boot to the locked door and taken the jamb out with sheer strength, before taking the soaked blanket he had called for from his wife and charging through the flames to throw it over Nana as his hair caught fire, all but throwing her out of the back door to where the pub customers were forming a bucket chain to try and contain the blaze until the Brigade arrived. Three of the regulars had doused him with water as he stumbled out, coughing from the smoke. The bulk of the house had been saved, structurally, but the contents had been ruined, and I realised with a catch in my throat that that would include almost all of the pictures I had of my father and mother, or even myself as a proper boy. Another link with the reality of my past had just snapped.

I looked at Arthur, though, in a new light. He had done something that most people could never have faced, and it had not been done without thought, for he had prepared himself before going in. No sudden rush of blood to the head, but steady courage, and I couldn’t help it when I walked over and hugged him tight. I could see the blisters on his nose and ears, and the shine of the ointment.

“Arthur…I don’t know what to say.”

“Nothing to be said, lad, Ada’s family, in a way, and it's what tha do , isn’t it?”

No, you great soft love, it isn’t what you do, or at least not always. There were more people out there who would have stood outside and watched in terror and futility than those who would calmly set about saving a life. I owed this man, and I owed Nana.

I started to laugh, as the reality struck me. Nana was puzzled, at first, then she realised, almost telepathically, and joined in. It was Emily who didn’t get it.

“What’s the joke, Steve?”

Nana was howling, but managed to get out a few words.

“Lass---before some woman marries this lad for his money----this woman here is going to have spent it all!”

She knew me well, that hard little terrier, so well. If there was one thing my cash and compensation was for, it was family. Her cottage was stone, it could be rescued, rebuilt. The old lives and memories it contained were lost, so we would have to work hard to make new ones to fill its walls when it was fit again for our family.

I think that was the final proof, if I had ever needed proof, that my first and last hope, my strength and shield, was as Val had suggested, the people around me, family, friends. Nana hadn’t asked for the money to renew her home, she hadn’t needed to. She knew I would give it, without being asked, just as I knew without doubt that there was nothing else to do, and nothing I would rather do. Life is love, life is people.

Emily suddenly understood, and giggled, “I was right, I’m not marrying you for your money, then!”

That was the second time, and Nana gave her a sharp look.

Arthur had already set aside rooms for us, and I was gratified to see how he had simply and without fuss put Emily and myself into a double. Tom rang Kieran to explain the delay, and once more there was a moment devoid of argument or fuss where my brother was left to comfort his grandmother rather than rushed home. We saw Tom off with his lady, then settled down for a simple meal with Arthur while Meg fed him, as his hands were too swathed to hold the fork. I was a little worried about that, but he just said they were bulky dressings rather than full-thickness burns.

“Besides” he said as another carefully sliced mouthful of rump steak was held before his mouth, “I could get used to this!”

That night, I was still stressed, and Em could feel it, and without anything other than sighs and soft moans she proceeded to do things to and with me that were almost more than I could take, and I did my best to return the favour.

Twice now she had mentioned marriage. Could we do it? Could someone as damaged as me make a go of it? I fell asleep with her hand on my breast and her head on my shoulder, our hair tangled together.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It turned out that Nana did actually have rather good insurance, as befitted such a shrewd old lady, and while I shelled out to get the place habitable again I was down to get a large proportion of it back. As usual, Brian knew someone who knew someone else, and a lot of the work done was at a very good price. We had a very daft weekend once the structure was sound, with paint and rollers and great silliness decorating the place, and then I sorted out a deal with Arthur for what can only be called a beer-garden party for the merry band who had passed pots and bins and buckets from hand to hand to keep the blaze as much under control as they could. We had music and other happiness, and I got to dance with my girl in public as the Summer wound down to our entry into University.

Miss Graham’s sadism, helped on by her torturers Sally, and Mr Calvert and the rest, had got me enough of a boost in my exam results to swing a place in college for me.

I was off to Bangor, to read history, for Mr Calvert’s eclectic approach to his subject had swung me from English, while Emily had stuck with that subject. She was also sticking with me. We were both off to North Wales for three years. Beaches, mountains, intellectual stimulation, and bloody good climbing.

Does life get any better?

The only doubt that was gnawing at me was the obvious one. I had become almost a household name in Cumbria, partly because of the failed rescue but mainly because of three years of hell in Castle Keep. There was almost a collective sense of guilt in the community, which was a relief. Some places would have closed ranks, perhaps blamed me, but the sheer scale of the horror that had been revealed left no room for that, and the utter raving insanity of the Cunninghams sealed it. The people involved had moved beyond revulsion to the sort of territory occupied by Jack the Ripper or perhaps the Bogeyman who hides under your bed or in the wardrobe.

That meant that my big-arsed and fat-titted figure drew no nasty comments, just stares and shudders. Would it be the same in Bangor, especially with Emily dangling all over me? Well, they would have three years to get used to me. And once more I clung to that mantra, FTW and hold fast to family.

up
116 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Words fail me ......

.... for just a little while. Being new to this site, I have just read this series from start to finish. What a powerful and superbly written piece. It has made me feel quite daunted that I was considering posting a story of my own! Thank you so much for sharing this. I am now going to devour your other works! All the very best, Diana.

"The Cost of Living Does Not Appear To Have Affected Its Popularity"in most, but not all, instances

Thank you

Not finished yet, though!

Daunted

Please don't be. Taken on her own Steph seems to set the barrier very high, but there's no rule to say you have to be that good. Otherwise we would have a lot less to read...

F.E.

Fuck-em. or Fe. The chemical symbol for Iron. That was the formulea that kept me going in my middle years.

Oh and my new found family, that was and still is one person, my wife.

Fuck-em. For years that was my mantra.

Nice story Steph can we expect some hwyl then in the next few chapters.

Dda iawn.

OXOXOX

Beverly.

Growing old disgracefully.

bev_1.jpg

I like that.

Fe also stands for Further Education which, in this chapter, is equally appropriate.

Emma reminds me of Alex Doonesbury (Donnesbury US cartoon strip, printed in the Guardian) who this week informed her father, Mike and her stepmother that she was going to marry her PTSD suffering boy friend, Leo. Unfortunately she hadn't got quite as far as Emma has and hasn't informed him of her decision.

I forgive you, Steph, for thinking you would be sufficiently unfeeling of your readers to kill Ada off.

Robi

Now then.....

I didn't kill off Alice! I planned to, sort of......but. I have an affection for old trouts.

FTW, indeed.

Steve's confidence is amazing, considering all he has gone through. And I am very glad Nana escaped unharmed. But where the heck is that evil bastard of a doctor hiding?

"Treat everyone you meet as though they had a sign on them that said "Fragile, under construction"

dorothycolleen

DogSig.png

Mitchell

Please Miss! I know where he is!

Behave, young lady ...

... and sit quietly so we can all listen to the story. Just remember, no-one loves a smart-arse ;)

We know you do, Steph - stop rubbing it in and continue your delicious entertainment.

Robi

Sweat and Tears 37

You are so very mean, scaring us like that. :)

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

I'm Glad It's Not The End

joannebarbarella's picture

I finally caught up. You wrote 37 chapters in about 28 days! You out-Angharaded Angharad. I don't think I need to tell you how much I've enjoyed it so far....

BUT, we do need to have a suitable denouement for Mitchell, don't we?

I can imagine all sorts of nasty conclusions, but authors will do what authors will do. Something else,

Joanne

Iron (Fe) sinks in water...

... Helium (He) floats on air.

University is 'Higher Education' (HE) not 'Further Education' (FE), as I am sure the good citizens of Bangor will tell you.
And FE is sinking, the victim of careless government. (A mixture of both meanings: 'not caring' and 'not taking care' either).

FE courses parallel UK Years 12 & 13 (or the VIth form to you and I); those 'years' just finished by Stevie (usually 16-18 age range). Most FE colleges will ignore those age ranges for willing students, though financial support is non-existent for mature students. FE includes a lot more options for vocational training, while still offering academic subjects as well. I know far too many people who did not do well at school up to 16 but who were rescued by the FE system.

That includes my brother-in-law who went on to take an engineering degree and who was later head-hunted from the UK by a billion-dollar US company. Some 16-year-old failure! Without FE he might well be servicing the engines or fixing the electrics on the airplanes, not designing their systems, and negotiating with the Authorities on their introduction. FE allowed him to show just how well he could do.

Mind you, I think the balloon of our HE system is being ruptured as well...