Tranquility-Sorcerer/ Sorceress C-06-37

Printer-friendly version

Chapter 06

Training of the children continues throughout the morning with each of the children given another chance to link and to move a small object from one place to another. Andrew and Alexandra carefully guide them while providing explanations. Each time the child is cautioned not to try it alone but to always have either Andrew or Alexandra with them until other Sorcerers or Sisters are able to help.

Since Sister Odelia is interested in learning the new magic she is going to ask Sister Kaitlyn for permission to continue to attend the training sessions. The children are quite excited at having accomplished some greater use of magic and of finally receiving explanations which allow them to understand that which they attained. They continue to practice moving small objects under supervision and each is given the opportunity to even again to create a link before they depart for their noon meal. Finally, the bell informing them of the imminent noon meal is pealing so Andrew opens the link to Percoin, two Sisters are waiting in the garden there to take the Percoin children back for their meals and those from The Shambles go to their meal halls. SaVannah now comes forward and asks if she too may try the magic.

"Of course. I would be pleased to attempt to aid you in the use of magic. Perhaps you, Alexandra and I may eat our meal here and then return to this garden so you may try your hand at it?"

SaVannah is amiable as is Alexandra so Andrew shows them the way to the meal hall. Surprise greets them all around. Instant silence on the part of the Apprentices and astonishment on the part of SaVannah and Alexandra to see the apprentices eat in the same hall as the Sorcerers. The young apprentices are surprised to see the Lady and Feline from the vision enter the hall. This will give them the opportunity for many stories during other lessons the rest of the day. The Sorcerer's are also surprised at this intrusion but then considering Andrew's seemingly peculiar traits they allow it to pass.

Andrew goes to the Sorcerer's table finding room for everyone before motioning to the young man they would like service. A few minutes are necessary to learn what there is to eat and to place the orders. Some recovery on the part of the young man is necessary as SaVannah quite fluently describes that which she would like, the young man first standing there as if hearing a foreign language, then recovering quickly. Soon the food is delivered. Andrew notes that the young man spends a great deal of time around SaVannah bringing her a flower as he delivers her second helping. SaVannah takes it all in stride but is obviously pleased with the flower and the attention.

With the meal completed, the three of them go for a short walk outside the training facility then return quickly to the building since, for SaVannah, it remains quite cold in Scearnvale. They return to the garden to allow SaVannah the opportunity at controlling magic.

"Now Missii, who would you like to contact?"

"My sister, Kayla SaVannah."

"Oh? Is SaVannah your last name?"

"Yes. Sa Vannah it is pronounced."

"My apologies Lady SaVannah. I was unaware of your proper name. If you so wish I shall call you SaVannah rather than Missii."

SaVannah is again surprised at the courtesy she is being offered. "That's all right. Missii is my name also."

"Thank you Missii for allowing me that use of your name. Where is your sister?"

"I don't know. We separated long ago and I lost track of her. She may even be dead. I just want to know. I want to help her if she needs it. I have worried for nearly four years."

"Alright. Let's sit here. I want you to concentrate on your memory of her. Think of her features as you last knew her. She is alive and moving. You recall her personality which is vibrant allowing you to easily recognize her even after this long period of separation from her. She has mannerisms which are little changed and your imagination is slowly giving way to the reality which surrounds her and allowing you to see her. She is doing something, what is it?"

"I... I'm not certain. She does not look well. She, she is preparing a meal. There is not much there. How may I help her? Oh she's fading."

"It's all right. You worried so much that you lost control. We shall try again. Come, remember her as you just saw her. She is moving and preparing that meal. You just saw her but she did not see you. You may nearly touch her, the image is becoming that real. You see her before you now, what is she doing?"

"She is eating the meal. She is so thin."

"Easy, don't worry yet. We cannot help her if we lose the image. Continue to concentrate, we will slowly bring her and her surroundings into complete focus. Do you have her?"

"Yes, I think I could touch her," Missii's hand begins to reach out.

"Not yet, don't touch her yet. Allow her to finish her meal. We shall continue to allow the link to grow in strength before we let her see us. The link must be powerful for us to help her. If you could give her some food, what might it be?"

"Beef. Beef and watered wine."

Andrew quickly obtains some from the kitchen and allows Missii to imagine the placement of it near her sister.

"I don't, yes, yes I may imagine the food near her."

"All right, place it quietly somewhere near her. Just imagine it is there and then we will use the link to place it in a moment. Now I am handing you a Rose. Give her this Rose as well. May you do that?"

"Yes, I think so."

"Good. Put the Rose next to the food and I will cause it to move there, then you may quietly call your sister's name."

"Kayla, it's Missii. Are you able to hear me?"

"Missii? Missii?! Am I so far toward the Shores that now I hear you calling me?"

"Kayla. Here is food. I am with a powerful Sorcerer. He is helping me to help you. See, he sent the Rose which is next to the food."

Kayla looks around and sees the food and the flower. She quickly grasps the goblet and drinks down the watered wine then picks up the plate and begins to devour the food.

"Ask her if she is bound, or if she may come here."

"I heard him Missii. No, I am not bound. I am unable to find employment so this is the result. Thank you for the food."

Andrew quietly explains, "Take the Rose in your hand, be careful, it has thorns. If there is anything you want to bring with you take it now also."

The moment she grasps the Rose, the signature Andrew placed upon it allows the link to gain greatly in strength. Much more of the area surrounding Kayla may now be seen and the detail and colour are far easier to discern. Kayla picks up everything she may carry, including what remains of the plate of food which she continues to eat with some difficulty since her arms are nearly full of her possessions. Her hand holding the Rose is also holding the plate of food which she is eating with her other hand while attempting not to drop anything.

"Now what do you wish me to do?" she asks in uncertainty.

"Simply stand there, we will do the rest."

A slight shimmer in the air occurs and then Kayla, her possessions, the food and the Rose are standing in the garden with them. Missii leaps to Kayla embracing her, food, clothes and all.

"Kayla. I'm so glad we found you." She leaps back embracing Andrew, "Thank-you. Thank-you for saving my sister. If there is anything I may do for you just ask."

"Well, I suppose there is one thing."

"Anything. what is it?"

"Continue to study magic. You are quite good at it, you just are frightened of it."

"Not the way you show it to me. Perhaps Alex may continue to teach me now that I am beginning to understand."

Kayla collapses to a bench. Missii is instantly concerned and again races to her sister. There is obvious difference in their health and weight.

"Perhaps, perhaps I might have a little water?"

Andrew reaches out a thread to his pitcher of water and draws it to him offering it to Kayla who drinks several mouthfuls, pauses and then drinks several more.

Somewhat refreshed she stands unsteadily and bows to him, "I am indebted to you Sorcerer. Any command you give I shall follow."

Andrew thinks about that which he just heard and which sounds like a formal declaration. "Kayla SaVannah, you are released from any debt. You are a free agent to do as you will."

Kayla is surprised to hear this release from servitude given without any requirement from her.

Andrew continues, "If you choose of your own free will to enter my service and remain here then I shall see you are paid for your service, fed and housed."

Missii again leaps to Andrew, hugging him, then back to her sister, "He will treat you well, my sister. Your fur will again gleam and you shall be well and healthy once again. We will be able to touch each other and be together as sisters should whenever the link occurs."

"Are you certain he will not abuse me as have others? Most Humans do not think of us as people. We are just something to be exploited and then thrown out with the garbage."

"Andrew is not like that. Read his thoughts, feel his revulsion at those who have done what you just said. He is honorable. Also a trained Warrior, I have felt it. Go ahead, reach out and see for yourself."

Kayla still has little energy and appears as though she would deeply appreciate a bath and uninterrupted sleep as well as another meal. She looks, hopefully, at Andrew and summoning the little energy she has, examines him. Smiling, "It is as you say sister. He is an honorable. Sorcerer, I place myself in your service if you would have me. But if you do, I would greatly appreciate somewhere to sleep for a day or two, to bathe myself and more food to eat before I begin."

"Absolutely. Remain here with the others for the moment and I shall make arraignments for you."

Andrew reaches out his thoughts toward Gabriel finding him to be alone at the moment. He chimes Gabriel and asks, "Sorcerer Gabriel may I establish a link? I have a favor to ask."

Smiling at this interesting occurrence, "Establish your link Andrew. What is this favor?"

Andrew explains all that has occurred through the morning finishing with the arrival of another Feline, whom Gabriel may see in the background being fussed over by Missii. A Feline who appears half dead and who is now in Andrew's service. Requesting quarters for her near to his own, Andrew also mentions the need of her bathing and having more food and drink.

"That is among the least we may do since your efforts at bringing us workers of the new magic is well on it's way to fruition. I have heard of all that has been accomplished this morning. I think your classes are likely to rapidly grow. I shall make arraignments, but immediately there shall be food and a little wine and water provided. Shall it be sent to the garden?"

"Yes, please. Meats if possible. That is very kind Sorcerer Gabriel. Thank-you."

"You're welcome Andrew. Be certain the young lady is well dressed whenever she is about the grounds or at meals."

"We shall find more clothing for her as soon as possible. Thank-you again."

The link dissolves and Kayla is smiling. Soon she will have more food, a little wine and somewhere to bathe and sleep without worry.
She shyly goes to Andrew and embraces him, "Thank you Sorcerer, for my life."

"Please, I'm not a Sorcerer. Call me Andrew. May I call you Kayla? Or would you prefer I call you Lady SaVannah?"

Kayla smiles at her sister, "He called me a lady. You are right, he is honorable. He is also a special... " as her eyes roll up in her head and she collapses due to the enormous amount of energy she has just been using and which the recent introduction of food has yet to replenish. When she later awakens, she finds herself on a comfortable bed, her possessions nearby, food and drink on the table awaiting her.

Over in the small clothes closet she sees colourful gowns, skirts and blouses hanging. She smiles at the thought of the wonderful dream she is having and imagines she is devouring a part of the large portion of beef which she has removed from the platter. She also imagines she drinks all she wants from the pitcher of water without anyone stopping her or demanding payment, and then a few sips of the cool wine, before laying on the wonderful bed her visions have created. "I wish my life really has taken this turn for the better and I am with my sister once again," as she drifts off once more to sleep.

In the meantime, Alexandra and Missii have returned to their own garden and beyond. Some explanations are given to the Sisters who had searched for them prior to the return of the children for the noon meal. The Sisters are warned that tomorrow Andrew, at least one Sister and a number of children will be coming to Percoin for training and possibly to share the luncheon meal.

Meanwhile, the two children who had returned for noon meal earlier, are this afternoon very busy being the center of attention of all their friends. Especially so, since the children who were contacted and the others who witnessed those contacts at this end of each link have boastfully described their parts as the recipients of those links. The two are no longer simply children but now a hero and a heroine to the others because they previously had so much difficulty with simple spells but now have accomplished feats of great difficulty which many Adults have difficulty performing.

Grace, who asked Ava if she had yet moved the candle, is busy telling everyone about Andrew and how he teaches, "He just asks me to imagine whatever it is and then slowly he adds things to it. Gradually I may see everything and then I just want it to happen and it does."

"Does that mean if I wish I had a horse that it would happen?"

"No silly. I can't make things. It's like when I asked Ava if she moved the candle. I needed several minutes trying to see everything and hold it in my mind before I could ask her. Then when I realized you all heard me I was so surprised I lost my thoughts. I'll do better tomorrow. I just need to remember not to be surprised."

The conversation continues with the other girls joining in and the afternoon rapidly wearing on. This same scene is played out at the Sorcerer's Training Center in Percoin, and at both the training centers in Scearnvale. Quickly everyone becomes aware of the abilities of Andrew and Alexandra to teach young apprentices who otherwise have had little success with their efforts.

During the time following Kayla's collapse, a room is made available for her and Missii carries her sister to the room while Andrew carries her possessions. As he walks, he pulls the sword from it's sheath and examines it, then looking at her armor. Many of her other possessions are in poor condition reflecting many months or years of use without maintenance. After Andrew leaves the room, Missii bathes Kayla and puts her to bed. Leaving the room she finds Andrew and Alexandra and they go shopping for clothing for Kayla using Missii's measurements despite Kayla's currently far slighter build.

"With food and exercise she will be back to her normal weight and strength within a couple of months. Andrew, I thank you again for my sister's life."

"I'm glad we found her in time. I will hire her commencing today. She will have some important work to do and she will have an income so this will not occur again. Don't thank me, you both will have plenty to do in the future. These clothes look very large, are you certain they will fit properly in a couple of months?"

"They will fit. We are sisters and when she was well we could exchange clothing without problem even though she is slightly younger. It is nice to have two wardrobes from which to choose. Kayla will probably sleep most of the night but it will be important for meats, wine and water to be present all during the night and to be replaced frequently as she may awaken and eat or drink much of that placed in the room."

"All right I shall arrange for food to be placed in the room several times during the night. Will that help?"
"Yes. Thank you. May I, may I hug you?"

Andrew walks to Missii, places his arms around her and she around him hugging each other as Missii nearly cries, "Thank you for my sister. Thank you for being an honorable human. I'm sorry, emotion is not appropriate for a Feline. I can't help it. Alex, you have a special soul-mate."

Again during the night Kayla awakens with the increasing needs of hunger and thirst confronting her, as has been normal these past many months. Groggy, she finally wonders at the soft bed beneath her and awakens enough to look about her. She realizes once more that she is delusional and therefore has approached even closer to death. Faintly recognizing a candle holder on the table nearby and smelling food she throws aside the imaginary covers and goes to the table.

Touching the candle it suddenly lights, "Of course, how else would a candle light in a delusion. It would not require flint nor flame. Just touch it. Touch it and see a strange flame which has no heat." She decides her delusion is strong for she may smell as well as see the meat on the platter. Grabbing a chunk of beef she quickly devours it then drinks a glass of the wine and then another. ‘I may as well make the most of my delusion while I am still able to do so. Imagining all this, I must be much further to the Shores than I thought.'

She drinks deeply of the pitcher of water and eats more meat. Carrying the magical candle she walks back to the bed she has dreamed about so many times on her road to starvation. Sitting on the edge of the bed, she again touches the candle which goes out. "Of course. How else?" She places the candle holder on the edge of the table and again falls onto the bed, asleep even before she may cover herself.

A sound. There it is again. Kayla comes instantly alert. Something is wrong. Someone must be coming to steal from her. For the third time she hears a faint chime almost as though she has imagined it.

"Kayla?" a man's voice. "Kayla? Are you decent? This is Andrew. Are you all right? It is nearly time for breakfast."

Kayla is confused. Why would anyone be calling her to breakfast? I am further gone than I thought.

"KAYLA. Are you all right?"

"Go away. Allow me to die in peace."

"I would, but I don't believe your sister, Missii, would ever forgive me."

"MISSII?! Wait. You are not a dream? You are real? Where is Missii? Is she all right?"

"She's fine. She went back to Percoin with Alexandra after she put you to bed yesterday afternoon. Are you decent? May I come in?"

Kayla grabs the covers. COVERS?! Placing them about her then, "Yes, you may enter."

The Sorcerer she dreamt about enters the room. "Good you have been eating. You need to eat more, you are very thin. If you are up to it I would show you the way to the meal hall. If you don't feel well enough yet then I shall have some more food sent to you here."

"I'm not dreaming this? I thought I was about to die and am delusional."

"Well, I don't know how to prove you are not, but if you want to come visit your sister again you will need to get dressed and come eat for we will link to Percoin shortly after the students arrive at eight. Missii picked some clothes for you. They are in the closet over there. You will not need your weapons this morning if you decide to come. If you want to come eat with me and go visit Missii then I'll wait outside while you dress. Hum, these are pretty. They will go well with your fur."

"Yes, I'll just be a moment," she begins to cast off the covers, and the Sorcerer immediately turns back to the door.

"Don't rush, you are still very weak. I'll be right outside." The sorcerer goes out closing the door behind him.

Kayla is astonished, he is treating her respectfully and has even departed the room to allow her to clothe herself in privacy. She looks through the clothing and selects several items which fit her quite loosely due her emaciated condition. Washing her face and drying it she looks in the mirror... A mirror, a real mirror... Looks in the mirror and around her at the room. Warmth, food, drink, clean clothing, a bed and someone who is respectful? This is beyond imagining. Moments later she goes out to join the sorcerer.

"You were pretty much out of it yesterday afternoon. May I still call you Kayla or do you prefer Lady SaVannah?"

"If I wished it would you really continue to call me Lady?"

"Of course Milady. Come let us go to the meal hall." He offers her his arm.

Amazed, she simply places her hand upon it as they walk to the meal hall.
There he introduces her to the other Sorcerers at the table using her name "Lady SaVannah."

She is at first confused at the lack of food and begins to think perhaps this is still a delusion, but then the Sorcerer tells the young man what it is he wishes to eat and very quickly it is on the table before him. She tells the young man what she would like and he is momentarily flustered then tells her it may be a few minutes but it will be prepared. She eyes the plate of food before the Sorcerer who after a few bites notices her looking and hands her the plateful of food.

Her eyes go wide at the thought of someone giving her food from before them, "Thank-you. I am hungry."

She rapidly consumes that which is on the plate, shortly afterward, the food she requested arrives and the Sorcerer requests a second plate for himself. She finishes her ordered plateful of food, two goblets of wine and several glasses of water before finally feeling filled. It is a good feeling and one which she has not experienced in nearly a score of months.

The Sorcerer too, has ordered himself a second plateful of food which he finishes about the time Kayla completes hers. He exchanges greetings with the others at the table and getting up, offers her his arm once again. She places her hand upon it and they walk out of the hall.

"It is nearly eight and we shall be going to Percoin very soon. Is there anything you wish to take along?"

"If everything is safe here then I need nothing as you say my weapons will not be required," wondering if he is the guide to take her to the Shores. She would need nothing there.

"Good, then we shall go directly to the garden and see how many children shall arrive for training. Have you forgotten my name? It is Andrew. You are welcome to use it."

"I am welcome? Thank-you Andrew. This is difficult for me to understand at the moment. I am still trying to decide if this is just another delusion as I am starving or if this is real."

"Well, I don't know how to convince you it is real. I suppose I could pinch you but then you would probably throw me up onto a roof or something."

She laughs and then realizes she may hear it echo from the walls around her. They walk into the garden to find a few children present there and learn there will be two or three more arriving. The children looking at her with a mix of emotions, some curiosity, some fear, one young lady comes over, "may I touch you?"

Kayla reaches out and they touch, the young girl looking at her with wide eyes. The child shyly smiles and backs away then turns and returns to the Sisters sitting nearby. Soon a bell tinkles nearby and Andrew again establishes the link bringing together the two gardens. He, Kayla, the Sister and children walk across to the other garden which Alexandra has prepared to receive so many. She also has half a dozen children with her. Once everyone is safely across he shuts the link and the lessons begin.

Missii is there waiting for her sister. Arm in arm they go out together to discuss all that has occurred during the time which had separated them.

"Since we have new students here today, we must allow them to learn that which you have already done before we move on to new things. Grace, you are able to establish a link very quickly. Will you come up here and show them what we have done before we start to allow them to do it?"

Grace comes up and quickly produces the link with little energy required from Andrew. Her link remains for perhaps thirty or forty seconds then Andrew tells her to close it again so the new students may begin. Once all eight of the new children have had the opportunity to produce a short link, he moves on to new material.

Andrew produces two candles asking the children to examine them carefully, "We do not want them broken. What is different about them? Are they made of different wax or perhaps the wicks are different? Each of you, reach out your imagination and gently touch the candles with it. Remember your imagination is just a shadow of reality. It is possible for you to sharpen that which is seen by your imagination and to guide it to touch upon the reality around you. That which is reality and that which is imagination are slowly combining until you are uncertain which is which.

Slowly now, careful so you don't frighten it away, allow your imagination to embrace reality. Sharpen the image so what you are imagining and what you are seeing are so nearly the same it is difficult to decide which is which. As you bring light to that shadow of your imagination you may see it seems as real as those two candles before you. It seems real, but it shows you the two candles are not alike. Who among you may see some of those differences and tell me of one of them?"

One or two children immediately raise their hands, these are two of those who trained yesterday. Slowly there are more until all of the children have raised hands. Andrew selects one of the new arrivals, "What difference do you detect?"

"One of the candles is spelled."

"Which one?"

"The one on my left."

"Does anyone see any more about the candles?"

Again hands raise, this time a little quicker and again the children from yesterday raising their hands first.

He selects another new student, "What more do you see?"

"The candle on the left has a preservation spell on it and something more, but I don't know what."

"Good. Does anyone know or can you guess what else?"

The hands and a selection of one of yesterday's students.

"There is a strange spell on it which makes it burn a funny colour."

"How have you seen this?"

"I took the candle in my imagination, touched it, and it lit with a funny light but no heat." The other children begin investigating this statement.

"Excellent. Who else sees this?"

Two hands go up, one child exclaims, "touching the base of the candle causes it to give light or go out."

Another chimes in, "The wax doesn't drip on the spelled candle." As several others give this thought their vote also.

"Good. Has everyone seen some part of these spells?" Quickly everyone raises their hand.

One comments, "The candle is linked to you." The other children frown at this comment and it is apparent they are retreating into their minds to investigate this statement. Quickly they return and are voicing their confirmation of that statement.

"Excellent. You are all doing very well. Especially so, since most of you have not had the practice from yesterday's training. Do you find this way of looking at magic easier or is it more difficult than the way you were previously trained?"

A chorus of, "Easier" comes back at him.

"May we link more today? I want to show Ava that when I am surprised today, I will not lose my thoughts."

"Yes, we will be linking much more again today. In a few moments Alexandra will take the girls, and I the boys, and we shall perform linking spells. You are all doing well. Use your imaginations more this afternoon but don't actually spell anything. If you are afraid you may accidentally cast a spell then ask a Sister or Sorcerer to assist you so if you get into trouble they may help you out of it.

When we link today we will send small items through the link. This is to give you practice at actually moving something through a link without carrying it. This is a little tricky so pay close attention and follow the instructions we give to you. Don't experiment, it could easily cause someone permanent harm. Eventually you will understand better, and you will automatically take precautions against most possible problems. Does everyone understand?"

A chorus of "Yes, Andrew" comes back to him.

"Are you ready for this, Alexandra?"

"I think so. Let's go ahead. Girls come to me. We shall go to the benches over there. Sister, if you wish to practice you may come also."

Andrew and Alexandra each select a child who has linked before in order to again show those newcomers how it may be accomplished. Alice, who is one of the newcomers, is almost as adept at linking as is Grace. Both may accomplish short links of perhaps thirty seconds without any energy offered to them. Several boys under Andrew training are also capable of this. Most are able to produce a link of ten or fifteen seconds without energy transferred from the adult supervising them and if the energy is provided then the children may hold the link for a full two minutes, the maximum time they are permitted as yet.

Each is now given the task of transferring a small pebble from here, where they are seated, over to a small basket placed at the other end of the garden. They are not allowed to move the pebble directly but they must open a link to the basket and then drop the pebble through the link and into the basket. Very quickly they are all proficient at this task, opening their link and within seconds dropping the pebble to the basket then closing the link again.

Grace and Alice, both from Percoin, are the most adept with their links opening and closing in just a second with the pebble dropping almost the instant the link is established. Two of the boys who also are very skilled at opening and holding a link are likewise good in their ability to move the pebble to the basket following only moments behind Grace and Alice in their talents.

 © 2010 by Rénae Dáºmas. This work may not be replicated or presented in whole or in part by any means electronic or otherwise without the express consent of the work’s Owner (copyright holder), with the exception of the private and non-commercial viewing by the reader who is also the end purchaser. ALL Rights Reserved, including but not limited to ownership of Characters, final content decision, and more. This is a work of Fiction. All the characters and events portrayed in this story are fictional and any resemblance to real people or incidents past, present or future is purely coincidental. Any and all images shown within this work are taken by license under Corel. Sketches are a product originated through the efforts of Terry Volkirch.. No affiliations, involvement or gender assignations through the use of the images provided by Corel, Terry Volkirch or the subjects contained within those posted images or sketches is implied or intended.
An Aldoennetti Original.

up
63 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

continuation

So very, very pleased to see the next chapter, thank you.
Jo xxxx

Jo xxxx

Interesting Story Developing

Jemima Tychonaut's picture

It's great to see another chapter so soon. I'm enjoying watching this new type of magic develop.



"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."

It's the Magic

terrynaut's picture

The thing I like best about this story is the magic. Teddi made the magic seem so plausible and real. I easily lost myself when reading this.

I hope more people can appreciate it, even though it doesn't have a transgender element.

Thanks again for posting it, Rénae.

- Terry