Heart by Heart

Printer-friendly version

 ­ ­ ­ ­ ­

Change is slow, but it does come, if people are willing to reach out to others and make it happen, heart by heart.
For the Transgender Day of Remembrance. Features Breegan Noland from The Prodigal.

Heart by Heart

By Breanna Ramsey



The Colorado air was taking on a definite chill as Monica walked along the path through the rows of markers. She slowed as she saw a small group standing near the grave that was her destination, and as she watched they laid a large wreath of flowers before the stone and then joined hands for a moment. No one said anything, at least not that she could hear, and Monica waited a respectful distance away while they observed their silent vigil. It only lasted a few minutes and then the half dozen women turned and headed back towards the parking area. As they passed her one of them, a pretty young woman with honey blond hair, smiled warmly and Monica gave her a hesitant nod in return.
 
She stopped before the grave and knelt to lay her own flowers there and then she removed her glove and reached out to touch the smooth, cold stone, her fingers tracing along the name, Alyssa Zamora.
 
"Hey, Alyssa," she said softly. "We got him; life without parole. I thought maybe it would help … but it doesn’t. You're still gone."
 
Her tears started as she slumped before the stone, her mind filled with so many regrets. All the things she should have said and done and hadn't, and worse, all the things she had said -- such horrible things.
 
"Oh God, how I wish we could have just one minute so I could tell you how sorry I am," Monica cried. "So I could hear you say you forgive me."
 
"I'm sure she does."
 
Monica turned at the sound of the voice and saw the same young woman that had smiled at her. She wiped the tears from her face and rose, turning to face the young woman.
 
"I'm sorry to intrude," the blonde said, "but you looked like maybe you could use some company. My name is Breegan Noland, but my friends call me Bree."
 
"I'm Monica Zamora. Alyssa was … my sister."
 
"I know, I remember you from the trial," Bree said.
 
Recognition dawned on Monica's face. "That's right, I remember seeing you. Did you know my sister?"
 
Bree nodded. "I do volunteer work for the Colorado GLBT Center; Alyssa was part of one of the therapy groups I conduct. I'm also with the Colorado Bureau of Investigations Major Crimes Unit, and I had a small part in building the case against her killer."
 
"Thank you for what you did for her," Monica said, shaking her head. "You probably knew her better than I did; I call her my sister now … but I never called her that while she was alive."
 
"Well, I just wanted to offer you this," Bree said, extending a small business card to Monica. "If you need anything, maybe just to talk, you can call me anytime. In fact if you'd like, we could get out of this wind and get something warm to drink right now."
 
"I think I'd like that a lot," Monica said. "Um, won't you're friends be waiting for you though?"
 
"I'll catch up with them later," Bree said. "Is that your cab waiting in the parking lot?" Monica nodded. "I've got my car, so why don't you send him on his way."
 
"I'll do that," Monica said.
 
*          *          *

 
"Um, do you carry a gun?" Monica asked as they settled down at a table in a small coffee house not far from the cemetery.
 
Bree laughed and nodded. "Yes, I do. That was a real adjustment for me. I'd only picked one up once before in my life, and I didn't know enough about them to realize I had to chamber a round before it would fire, so it ended up not doing me any good."
 
"You were actually trying to use it?" Monica asked. "Um, if you don't mind my asking, who were you trying to shoot?"
 
"I don't mind," Bree said, though she was no longer smiling. "I was trying to kill myself. I was a very mixed up kid in a bad situation, and that was the only way I could see to get out of it. It ended up getting taken away from me, I got beat up pretty bad and it was several years before I got out of that mess."
 
"God it must have been horrible," Monica said. "I mean we've only just met but you seem, well, very together; I can't imagine a woman like you being pushed to that."
 
"Well, I'd like to say my situation was unique, but unfortunately it isn't," Bree said. "It's also a very long and complicated story that we should probably save for another time."
 
"Yeah, I guess we came here to talk about me," Monica said as a waitress brought them their order. She took a sip of her chai tea and nodded appreciatively before continuing. "I was a real bitch to Alyssa; hell I never even called her that; I used Alex just to be mean."
 
Bree sampled her own mocha before saying, "I think you're being just a little hard on yourself, Monica. Many people, most of them in fact, just aren't equipped to deal with a loved one who comes out as transgender. Society has taught us that there are certain absolutes, and that gender is one of them. It's very difficult to cast off what we've been taught to think and believe; I know it was for me."
 
"Someone you love is transgendered?"
 
"You could say that," Bree told her, eyes twinkling. "I was born Brian Noland. My situation was a bit different; I was the one who couldn't believe that my family would accept me, so I never told them what I was struggling with. I left home when I was eighteen to transition on my own, and it nearly cost me my life."
 
"But they do accept you now?"
 
"Most of them," Bree said. "My parents are very loving and supportive, which is amazing after all the years of hell I put them through. That went a long way to helping them accept me when I came home though, and they've admitted they don't know how they would have acted if I'd told them from the start."
 
"I just … sometimes … a lot of the time … I feel like I killed her," Monica said, her voice breaking with emotion.
 
"You didn't," Bree said. "A vicious, bigoted animal did, and he'll never hurt anyone again."
 
"But if I had been supportive, if I'd just tried to understand, this might never have happened," Monica said.
 
"Or it might still have happened," Bree countered. "There are always 'might haves' in our lives, Monica; trust me, I know. There are things Alyssa might have done differently too, and if she had, she'd probably be here today."
 
"What do you mean?" Monica asked in a defensive tone.
 
"Part of what I do for the GLBT Center is council transwomen about safety," Bree said. "Monica, you were born female, and you grew up being told you had to be very careful, but most transwomen grew up male, and they didn't get those lessons drilled into them. With us there's a very large added layer of danger, especially for someone who's pre-op like Alyssa was. Dating is a perilous affair for any woman, but for a transwoman it's a minefield that can lead to death if you take one wrong step."
 
Bree took another sip of her mocha while Monica digested those words.
 
"I see what you're saying," Monica said. "Do you tell every man you meet that you're transsexual?"
 
"No, of course I don't," Bree said. "Things are a bit different for me; for one I'm post-op. I also don't date that much -- I have my own issues regarding sex -- and I also date both men and women when I do. I always tell a partner before things get intimate though, and usually before we even kiss for the first time." She grinned. "I have gotten surprised a couple of times though."
 
"I suppose being post-op there's no reason you ever have to tell," Monica said. "I mean I would have never guessed you were born male."
 
"No, there is," Bree told her. "I can't ever have children, Monica, and I still have to take hormones regularly. The important thing a TG woman needs to keep in mind is she has to maintain control; the secret we all share is something that will come out if we let someone close to us, and we have to make sure it does that at a time and place of our choosing, preferably someplace public, or at least with friends on hand in case it gets ugly. We can't afford to give anyone the opportunity to say they were so shocked by the truth that they snapped."
 
"If I hadn't cut her off, I could have told Alyssa that," Monica said. "I could have helped her so much … but I didn't."
 
"Yes, you could have," Bree said. "I can't lie to you about that, Monica, but you can't dwell on the past. The fact that we're sitting here now talking is proof enough that you've changed, and honestly, we need people like you."
 
"Need me? What can I do?"
 
"Never, ever forget your sister," Bree said. "Change happens slowly, painfully so, but it does happen. Every person we reach, every heart that changes, is one more step on the road to acceptance. We'll never get the whole world to accept us; there will always be those who just can't get past their own narrow mindedness, but we can change enough to make a difference."
 
She paused and reached into her purse, pulling out a flyer and passing it to Monica.
 

Transgender Day of Remembrance
Candlelight Vigil
University of Colorado Boulder, Norlin Quad
Friday, November 20th, 2009
8:00 PM

 

You can make a difference, all it takes is reaching one person, changing one heart.
That one person will reach another, and another.
Heart by Heart we will change the world.

 
"Heart by heart, Monica," Bree said. "That's the only way anything will ever change."
 
"This is tonight," Monica noted as she turned the flyer over. The back had contact information for numerous transgender and GLBT groups.
 
"Yes, and since I'm one of the coordinators I really need to get over there," Bree said. "You're very welcome to join me."
 
"I'd like that," Monica said. "I don't have a candle though."
 
Bree smiled. "Not a problem; I've got a whole trunk full of them." Her expression sobered as she added, "We have a lot of names to remember this year."
 

*          *          *

 
Author's Note:
Since November 20th, 2008, there have been one-hundred-one transgender related murders, more than double the number from last year. Here in the United States there were eleven, down from eighteen, but worldwide there were ninety. Many are simply nameless victims, and it's likely they will remain that way.
 
But change is happening. This past year we have seen two landmark court cases. In Colorado in April, Allen Andrade was convicted of first degree murder and committing a bias-motivated, or hate crime, in the death of Angie Zapata, which was used as the inspiration for the case in this story. In August in New York, Dwight DeLee received twenty-five years after being convicted of manslaughter and a hate crime in the death of Lateisha Green. The New York verdict is far from what it should have been; the jury found, somehow, that DeLee didn't 'intend' to kill Lateisha when he shot her in a parked car, and so went with the less serious charge of manslaughter as opposed to second degree murder, but it is important to note that they did rule it a hate crime even though New York's statute does not include gender identity as a protected class.
 
There is still a long, long road ahead, and all we can do is try to educate people and reach them, Heart by Heart. And above all else, we must remember….
(Data from the  ­International Transgender Day of Remembrance web site.

 

Remember me when I am gone away.
Gone far away into the silent land;
When you can no more hold me by the hand.
Nor I half turn to go yet turning stay.

Remember me when no more day by day
You tell me of our future that you planned:
Only remember me: you understand
It will be late to counsel then or pray.

Yet if you should forget me for a while
And afterwards remember, do not grieve:
For if the darkness and corruption leave
A vestige of the thoughts that once I had.

Better by far you should forget and smile
Than you should remember and be sad.

~ Christina Rossetti
 ­

up
111 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Great story, Scott

KristineRead's picture

We must all remember those who have fallen... and work to make it a better safer place for the rest of us.

Nice story to remind us of that, and to remind us to take care.

Hugs,

Kristy

I weep tears of shame for what I used to believe

Andrea Lena's picture

...and tears of sorrow for what hasn't changed but tears of redemption for what has changed in me...Please forgive me.

She was born for all the wrong reasons but grew up for all the right ones.
Possa Dio riccamente vi benedica, tutto il mio amore, Andrea

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

What you used to believe?

Come on girl, I was conditioned to believe it was evil after my initial coming out. Later in my youth, we all called them fags, sissy boys, and queers. Little did I know that I was so far in denial that I was in central Africa. (old lame joke)Never had the slightest clue that I was a really submissive girl, no I mean really submissive, so much so that it makes others sick. GAH!

When I finally understood what was happening, I cried, begged for God to heal me, confessed to the church elders, got excorcised, and even asked for Electro Shock Therapy. When it finally swept over me, I went wimpering in such a pathetic way, it was well, pathetic.

Now I am fully out, and after much hand wringing and otherwise whiny behavior, I simply live my life, telling my self that I don't give a damn what others think. I have some really good friends, and try not to look back, ever.

Gwen

Tears

I'm backspacing over what I've written over and over again. There just isn't words for what I feel. Like it or not I have to put blinders over my heart because of all the pain the world. It just hurts too much to fully see it all. Truer words were never spoken: Heart by Heart. One at a time. Thanks you so much for posting this! Scott.

Hugs!

Grover

Some people

ALISON
'are born to hate.Others hate anything that doesn't fit
in with their weird values and others hate because they can see something of themselves in another person---which frightens them.
Many of the men in my country convicted of "gay bashing"(if you
are a guy in a dress ,you MUST be gay)have been found to have
those same inclinations.As a paramedic I was unfortunate enough to have to pick up the pieces on many occasions but was also lucky to be able to help a lot of kids.So let us remember those who were not so fortunate in our prayers and hope that the narrow minded neanderthals eventually grow up.(But don't hold your breath.)
ALISON

ALISON

Remembrance Day

terrynaut's picture

I read the names of murdered trans people tonight, but I didn't shed any tears. It didn't make me sad. It made me want to look for ways to educate and heal those who would harm us. It made me want to be myself all the more.

I'll wear a skirt and twirl once or twice, or I'll watch a sad movie and cry. I'll dare to be myself, and once in awhile, I'll think of them. They won't be forgotten.

Thanks for the story!

- Terry

Breegan and Monica

laika's picture

An excellent of the Prodigal's story. A very moving and positive message, as well as giving us a look at her life since that Christmas, and a bit more about her ordeals from before. I'll bet that because of her past Breegan brings a real passion & dedication to her police work. Hope there are more stories about her in the works!
~~~hugs, Laika

More Bree

RAMI

Dear Scott:

You've had a break, it is time for more stories about Bree, a true heroine.

Rami

RAMI

I'm having a hard time finding words

to really describe how this makes me feel. I lost some one who was a friend, and a one time girlfriend and a Trans-girl. I've never had details of the abuse in her life after she moved from where we lived to Toronto but It was that and depression and drugs that led her to kill herself.
This made me cry,just because of sentiments you've managed to perfectly nail.
You've also made me feel like this honored her and thank you for that.

Bailey Summers

Evil

Sad, how many people become that evil through their own intollerance. They say love conquers all, but hatred wins in the end. At least it seems like that to me :'(

I looked at the webpage of the day of rememberance and almost all victims in the US have been shot. Do those people go around assasinating Transgendered or do they just take a gun everywhere?

Evil shit, it makes me really angry.

Thank you for writing this story,

Beyogi

"We have a lot of names to remember this year."

too many. Every single year, too dam many. And those who dont make the list because they killed themselves as well ...

nice story, hon.

DogSig.png

Breanna Ramsey

If some of you here have never had the privilege to read one of Breanna Ramsey stories, I cannot tell you how much you're missing out. Genomorph it's one of the finest stories I've had the privilege of reading, and her story Heart to Heart will make you cry, and give you hope. I strongly .. strongly encourage anyone who is looking for great stories to read... Check out both the above. Brianna is such a talent.

Willow