Bridesmaid Rehearsals: Part 5 - More from the Dress Rehearsal.

Printer-friendly version

….I stood for what felt like ages before she returned with two bundles of light blue satin and lace. It was going to be a long afternoon!

‘Ahh’ she said ‘look at you waiting like a good girl for your dress fitting’ and chuckled

I just pulled a sarcastic smile. I was sure she had tidied her hair and touched up her make up while I was waiting, she looked gorgeous and definitely looked more striking since I first walked into the shop.

The first dress was lowered into an open ring on the floor and I was instructed to step into it.

Rachel stood in front of me, she crouched down to pick up two of the gathered straps of the dress at either side and slowly, while looking me in the eye, pulled the satin up covering me in the light blue satin and slipping the straps over my arms and resting them on my shoulders.

Unexpectedly, and with a glint in her eye, she leant forward and gave me a huge kiss directly on my lips. I could taste her fresh lipstick or gloss but before I could say or do anything she simply said ‘This is fun, now stand still!’ I complied as if under a spell, and she walked round behind me taking the zip at the back that was resting open just below my waist (almost revealing my satin clad bottom) and zipping the dress up slowly. As it gradually tightened around my wait, then my chest, I felt the cold heavy material touch me with increasing pressure until it was fitted. She primped the satin so it sat right and stood back to admire her work.

The dress was beautiful (although I didn’t say anything). The skirt was full, with a light lace underskirt, and long, too long (hence the fitting and pinning that was about the happen). Gathered at the waist the satin was tight up to my chest (breast area) where two thick ruched straps over each shoulder held the dress in place and crossed over at the back. Very simple, no fuss but elegant and beautifully made. I began to imagine this could be what the Disney princesses feel like but continued to keep my thoughts to myself.

She asked if I wanted to wear the matching satin gloves, I declined and she shrugged. She suggested I was ready to stand on the podium for the fitting. Before I walked into the next room I was told to lift the front of the skirt so I didn’t trip on the excessive material.

I slowly walked to the podium in the main room of the shop next to where Sophie stood. Everyone watched me as I walked on to the slightly raised platform, stopped and turned to face the same way as Sophie. ‘Ahh’ she said ‘you look amazing and the dress is beautiful. Love your nail colour against that blue satin’. I should’ve worn the gloves I thought.

The pinning started. Sophie was talking about the arrangements for a while then everything went quiet. She turned to me and whispered, almost without making a sound ‘thank you!’ And then she smiled and said, a little louder ‘I can’t believe you even coloured your lips slightly to make the whole look a little more authentic’ I immediately touched my lip to realised some of Rachel’s colour had transferred and the women all let out a little laugh as I was instructed to stand still, and straight.

Finished, I walked away carefully with the pinned dress back to the changing room and Rachel helped me out of it. One of the stockings had fallen to mid calf so I was instructed to wear a satin suspender belt to clip to the stockings and hold them up straight before the second dress was presented to me.

The same light blue satin as the first but this dress was even fuller in the skirt but layered with satin, not lace, and the body was slightly elastic with a side zip. It was tighter than the previous one. The strap that rose up and went over each shoulder was longer from each side to form a halter neck with a long trailing tie after Sophie had fashioned a bow at the back on my neck. For some reason I could feel the whole dress clinging to my body, more than the first one.

Rachel stood back admiring me as her model and told me how gorgeous I looked. She said this dress was ‘the one’ and complemented my size, height and features whatever that meant. I again walked to the podium for the skirt adjustments and everyone had a lot to say about this dress and how good i looked in it.

Sophie had finished just as as I started the second 20 minute wait while the skirt was pinned. She went to change out of her dress and came back just as Her phone rang. It was mum. It turned out that she had got caught up at work for longer than hoped and she asked if we minded walking home. I didn’t get a choice. Sophie agreed then filled me in.

Still standing I heard a door. ‘What’s that?’ I yelled.

‘It’s ok’ said Rachel, ‘it’s the cleaner, she won’t be long and won’t even notice you’

The little old lady came in, busied around and left again. She had left by the time the pinning was finished and I walked back to the changing room and Rachel helped me slip out of the dress ‘until next time’ she laughed as she walked out with both dresses and suggested I change back into my clothes. I stripped but then realised my clothes were not where I had left them!? Oh no, they had been moved. I called out and quickly slipped the panties back on juest before Rachel came back in.

‘Oh, I’m so sorry the cleaner gathers up all the old material and scraps and takes them to the charity shop, she must’ve collected your shorts and tshirt at the same time!?’

‘What am I going to wear home?’ I started to panic!

‘It’s fine, she said ‘we’re in a clothes shop. Let’s find you something’ she walked away.

I stood for only a minute when Rachel rushed back in. ‘Ok, now don’t yell at me…but’

‘What?’

‘Well, the shop next door holds most of the men’s and boys clothes, it’s shut for the day. Your suit was in there and there’s nothing else here that will fit. We don’t have a key to next door’

‘Ok!?’

‘We have loads of clothes, but, you can either dress as a bride, a bridesmaid or in a very fancy prom or summer dress’….’we don’t have anything plainer or understated and you can’t walk home like that!’ Looking at me in the panties.

Sophie rushed in. ‘Come on, we need to leave. Oh, why aren’t you dressed?’
Rachel explained. They giggled, I didn’t.

‘Oh, I have an idea!’ Exclaimed Rachel

‘Look at me, I’m only wearing a plain black skirt and kind of plain blouse. You wear this outfit, I get to wear a pretty summer dress home and we’re all good!’

‘But you forget, I have to walk home’ I said

‘Ok, we will find you some shoes that go with the outfit! You can wear my tights to stop you getting cold and we can put a bit of colour on your face to give the illusion you’re a girl, or at least less like a boy, and no one will know!’

Sophie clapped….i protested. I was reminded of the time and could either wander up the road in a pair of satin panties OR do as suggested.

Rachel took her skirt, then tights off and I slipped them on. Blouse swapped Rachel was now almost naked and i looked like she had just a few minutes ago, albeit the boyish features and embarrassed look on my face. She slipped a really pretty summer dress on, light pink with big red flowers all over and a net underskirt. She offered me a swap. I declined.

I put on the black patent shoes they found, 2inch heels and noisy with every step as I walked, but I had no choice.

Sophie dabbed my eyelids with a blue eyeshadow and added black mascara, then pink blush to my cheeks and added very red lipstick to my lips (apparently the only one available) My hair was combed out and they said no one would even suspect.

Rachel took me aside and told me how wonderful the afternoon had been and gave me another big kiss. She said she loved having me to ‘play’ (her words) and would love to play again sometime. Sophie saw…slightly frowning as she said we should leave.

We gathered Sophie’s bags and left. The walk home felt like a marathon, in the heels and with the cool breeze through my loose blouse. I walked as fast as a I could, conscious of the skirt with every step, tight but just enough give in the slightly elasticated material for me to walk. I wanted to get home as soon as possible. Sophie tripped trying to keep up with me and hurt her leg. That slowed us down even more because I was now helping her walk too.

We got home before mum, but by the time we had got ourselves in and I had helped Sophie get comfortable, she arrived before I had time to change.

We explained everything. She was sympathetic except that my rushing had led to Sophie hurting herself. Sophie shrugged it off.

Mum chuckled about having a new daughter and I ran upstairs to get changed.

I forgot I was wearing the make up until after dinner, and no-one reminded me, so they all laughed about that too. Mum even suggested a freshen up of my mascara and lipstick, slipping on a little dress and popping out with my sisters who both loved the idea (although Sophie's leg had worsened and probably couldn’t walk far anyway) but I just said no and quietly went to bed. I didn’t dare admit I was getting used to it. I was certainly less conscious of it now and started to enjoy some of the attention.

To be continued….

up
90 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

What's not to like?

Dee Sylvan's picture

Methinks the lad protests too much! "I didn’t dare admit I was getting used to it. I was certainly less conscious of it now and started to enjoy some of the attention." And so it begins... What fun Anna! :DD TAF

DeeDee