Christmas Concert-P5

Printer-friendly version

Christmas Concert
By Teek
December 2023

kids-group-trans.gif

Part 5

“I can watch her all weekend if you want,” Sammie’s mom said. “It’s not like we will be able to keep them apart. While in the city, I was thinking about taking Sammie to the Children’s Museum one day and the Science Museum another day. I also hear there is this big fancy playground somewhere in the city that I bet both Sammie and Cindy would love.”

“Are you sure, Joyce,” Cindy’s dad asked?

“Honest, Herbert, in some ways it becomes a little easier with a second kid. They’ll entertain each other at least some of the time. No sense in both of us going to the same places, when the two of them will be together the whole time. ”

“I could send Holly to help if you want a babysitter.”

“That’s not necessary. No need to have another kid missing school days for this rehearsal.”

“Thanks Joyce. This will help a lot. It’s tough as a single parent managing all of this. Then taking time off work to deal with the courts, means I have no sick or personal days left for stuff like concert rehearsals.”

“It really is no problem. Glad to help. It will be interesting to see how a professional level orchestra prepares for a performance.”

“Do you think they are going to hold to the time restrictions for the little kids?” Cindy’s dad inquired.

“The state and federal child labor laws require the restrictions, so yeah, they will probably work hard to follow the restrictions.”

“Hadn’t thought about that.”

Sammie’s Mom thought for a moment, “Have you told Cindy yet?”

“I almost did last night, but I’m trying to hold off as long as possible.”

“Yeah, I haven’t told Sammie either. I’m going to hold off as long as possible. Otherwise, she will be all hyped up and not get anything done at school or home.”

“Not sure how Cindy is going to respond. She was all excited about going to London for a Christmas Concert. When that fell through, it hit her hard.”

“Poor thing.”

“She can’t take another disappointment. We’re very careful to make sure that we only tell her about things which we are certain will happen.”

“Makes sense,” Sammie’s Mom commented. “How are you getting her to practice the songs without her knowing about the upcoming concert?”

“Holly came up with a brilliant idea. She convinced Cindy to put on a special performance at Christmas for the Grandparents. Holly will read poems, and between them, Cindy will play songs on her flute.”

“Smart daughter you have there.”

“Holly has been amazing since my wife left. She’s really stepped up as the big sister and will do anything for Cindy.”

“That’s so sweet,” Sammie’s mom said. “If I’m going to have Cindy for four days, is there anything I should know?”

The two parents talked about Cindy’s anxiety issues, and how best to deal with it. Before hanging up, they arranged for a place and time for Sammie’s Mom to pick up Cindy, at a location that will be on her route into the city.

up
67 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Courts

Teek's picture

The courts are so hesitant to remove kids from biological parents. They may order some parenting classes, but they try to get the parents and kids back together. I have seen the courts keep kids with some pretty bad parents, and remove kids from okay parents. Right or wrong, it is the way the courts tend to work.

Keep Smiling, Keep Writing
Teek