Mom! How Could She?

Printer-friendly version

kids-group-trans.gif
Mom! How Could She?
By Teek
© October 2011
2,170 words long

This is the first story in the Cindy's Adventures series.

 

“How could she do this to me?” Jessica ranted as she dragged her bag behind her. “I am not six. What right did she have to do this? Who does she think she is anyway? Two weeks in this place, and she does this to me! Well, I am not going to put up with it! NO…I…AM…NOT!”

Jessica slowed down a little when she came up to someone else on the walkway. “Would you put up with it? It’s ridiculous now, isn’t it? Come on now, can she really do this to me? She bought one for every single day. Every day! We’re at camp! She can’t be that much of an idiot, can she? One for every day?”

Jessica stopped talking for a minute and looked at the person next to her, expecting an answer. “Well, can she?”

“I … I … I suppose not?”

“Exactly!” Jessica continued. “She had to know what she was doing. She had to have put some thought into it. She went shopping and bought these. It isn’t like she could find them in our house. What was she thinking?”

As they reached the main administration building, Jessica grabbed the arm of her companion and went storming through the back door. “I am not going to put up with it. No…I…am…not! She went too far this time. I am not six, and I don’t have to put up with this. Come on now. I am twelve years old! How could she do this?”

Jessica continued to drag her bag and her companion through the hallways until they got to the front office. The ranting stopped just for a minute as she came to the desk of Mrs. Stillman. “She went too far this time, Mrs. Stillman, I will not put up with it. Call her…Call her!”

“Morning Jessica,” Mrs. Stillman said, smiling at the two children. “I can’t . . .”

“Well, I will be waiting for her on the front steps with my friend here,” Jessica interrupted and stormed out the front door down the steps towards the parking lot, dragging her new friend along. Halfway down the steps, she sat down. “She can just come back and fix this! I am not going to put up with it! Would you?”

Jessica’s companion stood next to her on the step, unsure what to say or do.

“She went shopping for them!” Jessica continued. “My own mother did this to me! Who does she think she is? I am twelve, not a little baby she can dress up like a dolly. I am not a dolly. I will not wear those…things! At my age, how could she buy a whole new wardrobe and send it to camp without telling me? Who does she think she is? Did she really think she could …”

“Maybe she thinks she is your mother and therefore has say over what you wear?”

Jessica stopped and, for the first time, looked at her companion who was standing next to her. Although Jessica had dragged this person along, who were they? The hair looked like someone had put a bowl on top of the head and shaved everything underneath. The eyes and smile showed compassion but appeared sad. Looking down, she found a black camp T-shirt and a pair of blue jeans. The look was finished off with a pair of blue and black Nike sneakers.

Jessica thought about the reply and responded, “Well, she doesn’t! I am twelve, not six. I only wear stuff like this three times a year, and then only under protest. What drove her to go out and buy me all new clothes for these two weeks at camp? I could maybe understand one of them. With her sick mind, I can see her wanting me to wear one during the concert at the end. But she went too far this time! I cannot stay at camp for two weeks and wear these!”

Jessica pushed her bag down and unzipped it. Flinging it open, she looked up at her companion. “Can you believe it? There are fourteen of them in there. I counted. That is all she packed. Fourteen Dresses! How could she?”

Jessica started to cry.

Her companion looked at the open bag and the outfits visible. They didn’t look that bad. After some of the six-year-old comments, expectations had been of little girl frilly and lacy dresses with puffy sleeves. From what could be seen, none of them were like that. They all looked age-appropriate and typical summer dresses for a twelve-year-old girl. There wasn’t even a lot of pink visible in the bag.

“What am I going to do?” Jessica asked through her tears. “There isn’t one pair of pants in the bag. Dresses! I don’t wear dresses. The last time she had me in a dress was for picture day, and I told her then I would never wear one again. What was she thinking? Dresses! Could things be any worse?”

Barely audible over Jessica’s crying, her companion slumped down next to her and said, “You could have no dresses to wear for the two weeks.”

Jessica slowed her tears and looked at her companion. Trying to figure out what was meant by the last statement, she hesitantly responded, “But that is what I want.”

Looking at her companion, she could tell something was wrong.

“You at least have the jeans and t-shirt you are wearing,” the companion continued, “and you probably have some money to buy a camp t-shirt or two. So yes, things could be worse. You can at least wear clothes you’re comfortable in a few days while at camp. That is much better than some people.”

Jessica looked at her companion again, “What … did … your mom pack in your bag?”

“Pants and shirts. Mostly jeans and t-shirts. She even packed a suit and tie for that concert we will be performing on the last day for all the parents. Two weeks at music camp with only boy clothes to wear. So yeah, things could be worse. At least you can go a couple of days in comfortable clothes.”

Jessica was confused, “But … you are a boy? Aren’t you? What else would you wear?”

“Odd comment coming from a girl that doesn’t want to wear dresses, don’t you think?”

Jessica just stared at her companion. They were both silent. Jessica was looking at the person next to her, while that person just looked straight down at the ground. They sat there for several minutes in those poses. Both were thinking.

Finally, Jessica turned to her bag, and with two fingers from each hand, she picked up the bright yellow sundress sitting on top of the rest of her clothes and held it arm's length away, “You mean you would prefer to wear this? This thing?”

Jessica’s companion looked over at her and the dress she held. A smile slowly grew, “Yeah, in an instant. You may not like it, but I think it is pretty. Hi, Jessica, is it? My name is Cindy, but everyone calls me Frank.”

Frank got a wallet out and quickly got a picture from it, “This is my favorite outfit. I wore it last week at my best friend’s birthday party.”

Jessica looked at the picture. It was of a smiling little girl with braided pig-tails, wearing a pink party dress with puffy short sleeves and lots of frills and lace. Jessica looked at the picture and then back up at Frank, or was it, Cindy?

“My best friend gave me that picture just before I left to come here. Her mom had taken it at the party. It was her tenth birthday, and I wanted to look my best for the party. It was so much fun going to her birthday party in that dress. At least it was till…till,” a single tear came down the face.

Jessica was silent, looking at the picture and up at…at Cindy? “What happened?”

“Mom didn’t know I wore my sister’s old party dress to the birthday party. At least she didn’t know till she brought over one of the presents I left at home by mistake.”

“Was she mad you took your sister’s dress,” Jessica questioned? “Was your sister mad you got into her clothes?”

Smiling over at Jessica, “Mom knew I would often play dress-up with my sister’s outgrown clothes, but I had never worn them outside of the bedrooms in our house before.”

“Your mom doesn’t let you wear dresses out of the house, out of your bedroom? My mom begs me to wear dresses and complains when I don’t. Why doesn’t your mom want you to wear dresses,” Jessica inquired?

In a proper Mom imitation, “Little boys can play dress up in their rooms, but never out! Not even in the hall.”

Jessica looked at the picture again. “Oh yeah, I forgot you said your name is…Frank. So, if Cindy went to the party last week, what happened to her?”

“I had sneaked out of the house while Mom watched TV and hoping to get back in without her noticing. When she came to the party, she didn’t even recognize me at first among all the other girls at the party. But when she did, she got really mad. She grabbed me and dragged me out of the party, straight to her car, and to the barbershop. Still dressed in that outfit, she had the barber give me this haircut.”

Jessica gasped as she looked at the picture and then up at Frank / Cindy. “She didn’t?”

“She sure did! She kept ranting on and on about how boys were not supposed to wear such things. I just kept looking at my braids lying on the floor of the barbershop.”

Jessica hugged her companion.

“Then…then still dressed in that outfit, she took me to Wal-Mart and bought new clothes for camp. I was standing in the middle of the boy's department dressed like that with this haircut. She went up to the salesgirl and asked, ‘Ma’am, could you please tell me where the boy’s underwear is? My son here needs some clean underwear to take to music camp next week.’”

“Wow, and I thought my mom was mean,” Jessica stated. “So Frank … Cindy? What do I call you?”

“Since Mom made sure I wouldn’t have any girl clothes to wear on this trip, you might as well call me Frank. Everyone else is.”

They both just sat there looking down at the ground.

“Cindy,” Jessica hesitantly said. “I’d trade clothes with you for the week, but … I’m twelve, and you’re what, eight or nine? None of my clothes would fit you, and I definitely wouldn’t fit in your clothes.”

“I’m nine, almost ten, but I am the same size as all the little eight-year-olds. Thanks for the offer, Jessica,” Frank said, eyeing the suitcase. “With my hair cut like this, however, I would look ridiculous in them anyway. It was all the way down to my shoulders, how could she have the barber just use clippers to cut my hair? It will take me forever to grow it back out.”

They both sat there in silence.

“I play the piano,” Jessica broke the silence after at least five minutes. “What do you play?”

“The flute,” Frank replied without looking up.

“Really, the flute at your age? That is impressive.”

“Yeah, my dad keeps telling me I’m some sort of prodigy, but he’s my dad. I just like the light and delicate sound it makes. I hope I don’t screw up the concert at the end of camp.”

The two of them continued to just sit on the step to the main administration building in silence. Eventually, Jessica zipped her suitcase back up and grabbed the extending handle.

“Come on, Cindy,” Jessica said, standing up and holding out her hand. “We will make it through these weeks together. If you can go for two weeks without a dress to wear, I can go for two weeks wearing dresses. It will not be fun, but at least we have our music. It’s not like Mrs. Stillman was actually going to call my mom. She never does when I ask her to, and I have been coming here for four years.”

Slowly Frank got up and took Jessica’s hand, and they went back into the building.

“Don’t bother calling my mom, Mrs. Stillman,” Jessica said, walking straight through the main office without stopping. “If Cindy here can make it through the next two weeks, then I guess I can too.”

“Cindy?” Mrs. Stillman questioned as she watched Frank and Jessica walk out of the building hand in hand, with a suitcase rolling along behind them.

The End

This was the first story in the Cindy's Adventures series.
You can read the rest of the stories in the series by clicking the link here:
Cindy's Adventures
up
326 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Too bad you didn't get this

Too bad you didn't get this done in time for the horror contest. Two weeks stuck in the wrong clothes is a truly scary proposition.

Agreed!

Zoe Taylor's picture

I certainly would've voted for it :-)

Great story, Teeka. I get the feeling those two will be friends for a long time after camp :-)

~* Queen of Sweetness *~

Visit the Robinverse Story Universe page on TopShelf for information, links, and stories!

~* Queen of Sweetness *~

Become a Patron for early access ♥

How Could She?

That was great. I really liked that.

Jessica came off as a tantrum throwing drama queen (well, the sort of queen who doesn't like wearing dresses, that is)... until she learned her new friend sees herself as Cindy and would LOVE to have Jessica's 'problem'. Jessica really redeemed herself with her support and friendship to her boy-shaped girl friend. I too can see it turning into a lifelong friendship after camp.

I hope seeing Jessica in her dresses every day didn't depress Cindy further, though... *grin* It's too bad they weren't the same size, but that would have been too neat of a solution for the story. :P

Lisa

Jessica doesn't come across

Jessica doesn't come across as transgendered to me, she just doesn't like dresses.

Jessica doesn't come across as TG

Right, that was my impression too: not transgendered, just not a girly girl. Kinda the opposite, although still identifying as a girl.

Although maybe the Drama King thing was just a play on my "queen who doesn't like to wear dresses" crack.

Lisa

Yes it was a play on the

Yes it was a play on the "queen who doesn't like to wear dresses" line. Plus Jessica's over exaggeration of the girliness of the dresses she was sent. While I agree that she isn't TG, or even a TV really, she does have a very dominant type personality, and would see herself more of the King of all she surveyed, rather than the Queen of all she surveyed.

Sometimes you have to see that others have it worse

RAMI

Sometimes you have to see that others are suffering as badly or even worse then you. Jessica, may have to wear dresses for two weks at camp, but probably will be back to wearing jeans and other unisex stuff when camp ends. It is unlikely that Frank/Cindy will be able to get back into dresses for a long time. I am sure his mom will not even let him continue his dressing behind his bedroom door.

RAMI

RAMI

OK Good Story-

OK Good Story - So when is part Two coming????? Richard

Richard

Part 2?

I got the feeling it was a one-shot story...

Although I wouldn't mind seeing additional parts, showing them keeping their friendship alive as they grow up and learn to eventually assert themselves to their parents, with Jessica supporting Cindy against the usual prejudices. Maybe even Jessica's friendship with Cindy convincing her wearing dresses isn't SO bad... once in a while, at least. :P (or would that be too much like Louise's Girly Girl series?)

Lisa

Part 2?

Must admit I think this works as a one shot. However a follow up story some years/months down the line would be kind of cool.

JC

The Legendary Lost Ninja

Some years/months down the line? Oh boy!

This needs to be continued, at least through the 2 weeks at music camp. If it goes further than that, fine, but it needs to be continued now, not years/months down the line.

"With confidence and forbearance, we will have the strength to move forward."

Love & hugs,
Barbara

"If I have to be this girl in me, Then I have the right to be."

"With confidence and forbearance, we will have the strength to move forward."

Love & hugs,
Barbara

"If I have to be this girl in me, Then I have the right to be."

One Shot Wonder

Teek's picture

This was written as a One Shot complete story. Sorry, but every way I looked at continuing the story would take away from what I developed. I did leave openings for another story in the future with these characters, but this story does not and will not have a part 2. Part of what makes it what it is, is the short abruptness of it.

For example, who is the main character of the story?

I developed both characters enough that either one could be if I continued the story, but I am honestly not sure I want to pick between the two. My final posted version made Jessica the main character of this short story, but she doesn't have to be. Everyone who reads this story puts so much of themselves into the characters, I would hate to spoil it by putting my view into it. Character development is so much fun, give the readers just enough, but not too much.

I am glad you enjoyed the story. Hopefully I will have one more story for you all before the end of the year, but sorry, not with these characters.

Keep Smiling, Keep Writing
Teek

Very Sweet

Very sweet and sounds like the making of a long friendship together just 2 little girls I LOVED IT -- KUDOS from RICHIE2

Mom! How Could She?

Would love to see story continue.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Sweet story

Music camp is full of those overdramatic types. You nailed Jessica's personality perfectly.
There's hope for Cindy; Dorothy Hamill famously had a bowl cut.

On a side note, this story reminded me enough of my own characters that I think you snapped me out of my block. Thanks a bunch!

Other author's influence

Teek's picture

I was reading some of Heather Rose Brown's short stories the night before I got the inspiration for this story. It is funny how one author's stories can bring you out of a writer's block. Glad I could help.

Oh, and thanks Heather Rose Brown. :)

Keep Smiling, Keep Writing
Teek

nice one

nice little story.

Dorothycolleen

DogSig.png

Well Valentine, if you think two weeks in the wrong clothes

is a scary proposition, try living in the wrong clothes forcibly for 2½ years. That isn't only scary, it is terrifying. If it weren't for the girls that kept loaning me their clothes, I would not be here right now to write this.

This story has what every young girl of 12 who is just finding herself, goes through. She wants to wear what her friends are wearing even if it is music camp. I thought that Jessica's rantings to a person she didn't even know, helped her to calm down, and when they found out they both were living in clothes each of them hated, it all of a sudden didn't matter any more if Jessica had to wear dresses or not. I hope we will see more of this story spanning the 2 weeks at music camp, because there is so much to tell about the 2 friends, Jessica and Cindy.

Thank you for sharing this fast, even paced story that warms the heart because 2 children became friends. That in itself is what makes this story powerful and a pleasure to read.

"With confidence and forbearance, we will have the strength to move forward."

Love & hugs,
Barbara

"If I have to be this girl in me, Then I have the right to be."

"With confidence and forbearance, we will have the strength to move forward."

Love & hugs,
Barbara

"If I have to be this girl in me, Then I have the right to be."

I didn't think of it, Barbara, until I read your comment...

Andrea Lena's picture

...for some of us? Try living sixty years in the wrong clothes...or seventy... If I didn't have my writing, I don't know what I would have done. I agree with you about Jessica; and maybe she realized that she wasn't alone. And yes...maybe a nice view of the kids post-camp?


Dio vi benedica tutti
Con grande amore e di affetto
Andrea Lena

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

“Come on, Cindy,”

Hypatia Littlewings's picture

Jessica can see Cindy clear as day, and it sound like some of her friends at home can too.
To bad Mom is blind.

Acceptance

Teek's picture

Mom may not be as blind as you think. She allowed the dress up in the bedrooms. She just didn't want to see it or have other people see it. Out of sight out of mind. Many parents believe that they can just ignore behavior they don't like and it will go away.

"He will outgrow it." - - - "It is just a phase." - - - "He is just curious, not really into such things." - - - "As long as no one sees him dressed like a girl, then no one will think him any different from the other boys in his class." - - - "Yeah my son is always hanging out with the girls, he is just a ladies man isn't he?"

Parents see what they want to see and many do not like it when you show them stuff they know about but do not want to see.

Keep Smiling, Keep Writing
Teek

The worst kind of blind.

Hypatia Littlewings's picture

Exactly.
That is the saddest kind of blind and the most hurtful, "those who will not see".
And yes that is obviously what's going on, she see all that but still doesn't see poor Cindy.
And that is where she is blind. I hope Cindy can survive it.(All 'Cindys' out there.)

I like the point of view on this one too.

Hugs

It parents like this children need to rebel against.... Children do not need to listen to there parents when they are so wrong.... Children have the right to go thru puberty in their correct gender no matter what it takes...
Love your story
Love and Hugs Hanna

Love And Hugs Hanna
((((((((♥)))))))((((((((♥)))))))((((((((♥)))))))((((((((♥)))))))((((((((♥)))))))
Blessed Be
2889.jpg

I've just read your blog

I've just read your blog entry and followed the link in it. And I found a great story. Short but great.

You <strong>will</strong> be assimilated.

Daphne Xu's picture

It definitely took Jessica a heck of a long time to finally tell us what her Mom had included: a dress for every day.

"Hi... my name is Cindy, but everyone calls me Frank." Snort!

Both moms were definitely mean. Frank/Cindy's was worse. Of course, you will be assimilated.

-- Daphne Xu

Horrible Mother

Angharad's picture

But then some are. It was technically an assault but parents get away with such things all the time.

Angharad