It's A Cruel World Part 7

Printer-friendly version

XE Security:
Katelyn takes a sip from her coffee cup as she follows the directions from Google Maps to the security office. She was going to go in pretending to be looking for a job. She learned from the article on XE Security that they hired local talent as well. Since she had a cover ID that would pass a security background check when they did one, she would use it to get hired.

After pulling into the company's parking lot, she pulls out a fake set of fingerprints that went with the ID. She knew security companies took your picture, fingerprints, and social security number to run a background check.

When she decided to become a reporter to supplement her political cartoon drawing, she also learned a few tricks from her teacher and a trusted reporter. She checks her appearance before she gets out of the car she was driving. It was a rental, and she didn’t want anyone to know her real car.

Katelyn fixes the dress she was wearing as she walks towards the entrance. She checked the time to make sure she was on time. She spotted a middle-aged woman sitting at a desk as she entered the reception area. She walks up to the woman.

“Hi, I’m Joann Benavidez. I have an appointment with Mr. William Alvey.” Katelyn was using her best Southern accent.

Brenda looks at the dark-haired young woman standing before her. The woman was wearing a dress she spotted at TJ Max the other day and fake knockoffs of a famous designer brand shoes you could buy online for fifteen dollars.

“What I might ask is your business with Mr. Alvey?” Brenda knew Mr. Alvey did mainly recruiting of new applicants for security jobs.

“He instructed me to come in to fill out some paperwork for a job.” It was a good thing that Joann/Katelyn was recording everything.

“If you’ll have a seat over there. I’ll let Mr. Alvey know you are here to see him.” Brenda points towards a waiting area.

“Thank you.” Joann turned and walked over to the sofa and sat down. She was watching the woman as she picked up the phone.

After about ten minutes, a middle age man wearing a dark blue business suit comes walking into the reception area. He had short dark brown hair and looked like the type to spend time outdoors. He wasn’t as built as some of the men she knew.

Mr. Alvey spots a dark-haired young woman sitting in the reception area. He noticed she had a nice figure and was wearing a decent dress. Most women who came in to apply for work did not wear anything as nice. He walks over to her and extends his hand. “hi, I’m William Alvey.”

Joann shakes his hand. A smile appears on her face. “I’m Joann Benavidez, Mr. Alvey.”

‘It’s nice to meet you, Mrs. Benavidez. Suppose you’ll follow me to my office. We can see if you’ll be a good match for our company.” He helps
Mrs. Joann off the sofa.

“Sounds good to me.” Joann smiles at Mr. Alvey.

Mr. Alvey escorts Joann back to his office. The first thing Mr. Alvey does is ask her a few questions. Why did she want to work for the company? What security experience did she have? Would she consent to a background check? Why should he hire her?

Joann answers his questions. She had prepared herself for this and knew what answers would help her. Afterward, he gives her a personality test. She hated these types of tests but knew how to answer them. She knew she couldn’t get a perfect score on it, which would give her away. So, she fudges some of the answers.

Afterward, she submits to having her fingerprints scanned instead of taken as they used to. They used to have you press your hand onto an ink pad and then roll each finger onto a card to get your print. When is set down in front of a computer to complete an online application?

She looks towards Mr. Alvey. “To be honest with you, sir. I would rather have an office job. I can’t handle being a guard somewhere and worrying my parents.”

“Well, we do have guard positions in warehouses and such. I could place you there.” Mr. Alvey had plenty of openings.

“Still, I would prefer an office job, sir. I don’t feel I have what it takes to be a guard.” Joann hoped she wasn’t showing her hand too much.

“Let me check with one of my colleagues and see if we have something here.” Mr. Alvey gets up and leaves his office.

A smile appears on Katelyn’s face. If she was a computer hacker, she could use the time he was gone to attach a USB drive to the back of his computer to monitor his computer usage. She figures they would have some monitoring software built into the computer system to see what their employees were doing.

“You’re in luck, Mrs. Benavidez. There’s an opening here at the office. It’s mostly filing and opening mail and ensuring everyone gets the right
mail. If you’re interested, you can start tomorrow.” Mr. Alvey sits down behind his desk.

“That will be perfect. What time will I need to be here?”

“Eight o’clock.”

“That’s perfect.” Katelyn knew she’d have to juggle her classes and work.

“Perfect. Let’s go ahead and get you into the system and fill out all your paperwork. That way, you can go straight to work tomorrow.” Mr. Alvey pulls out several sheets of paper and has Joann fill them out.

Katelyn filled out the paperwork and handed it back to Mr. Alvey. He looked over it, and everything had been filled out once he was satisfied. He escorts her back to the front of the office.

“It has been nice meeting you, Mrs. Benavidez.”

“And you, sir.” As Joann shakes his hand.

Katelyn smiles to herself as she walks towards her rental. Now, she can use her position to investigate those two security guards who gave her a hard time. She gets into her car and leaves. She grabs some lunch on the way home.

up
78 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos