Frank Stein's Monster

Printer-friendly version
Frank Stein's Monster
By
Amethyst


With the greatest respect for, and apologies to Mary Shelley

 


It was a bright and sunny afternoon in Miami Beach. There wasn’t a cloud in the sky and it was a pleasant 78°F with wind from the southeast and some truly epic surfing conditions. Unfortunately, that has nothing to do with this story.

No, this story takes place in Pennsylvania, where it was a dark and stormy night. Yes, I do know how cliché that is, but we can’t all be surfing in Miami and getting a nice tan, can we? The sky was dark, thunder boomed, and flashes of lightning highlighted the dark and dreary castle where our protagonist awaits. Yes, there are castles in Pennsylvania, I did my research, so can we please stop nitpicking and get to the story?

Anyway, where was I? Ah, yes, deep within the castle, Dr. Frank N. Stein laughed maniacally as thunder boomed once more and he looked upon his creation and screamed in excitement, “It’s alive! It’s aliiiiiive!!!” No, I am not plagiarizing Mary Shelley. This is a homage, I tell you, a homage!

Frank looked down upon the hulking behemoth that he had brought to life, noting the steady rise and fall of its chest. It had taken him ages to piece together that massive, manly body from the corpses of football players. The brains had been too damaged for his purposes though, so he had to find one of those elsewhere, but it wasn’t like whatever cadaver it came from was going to miss it. Besides this was for Science, and there was no greater cause.

His creation’s eyes, one green and one blue, fluttered open and Frank quickly covered another maniacal laugh before it could manifest. He couldn’t have the creature think he was laughing at him after all since it could probably snap him in half. The creature grunted, steel manacles snapped as if they were made from cheap plastic, and then the creature sat up on the operating table.

Frank coaxed the creature to his feet and watched with pride as the behemoth took its first steps. Everything was going perfectly, better than he had ever dreamed. That is until his creation saw the mirror. When the patchwork giant saw its reflection, it screamed in existential horror at what it saw looking back.

For the next two weeks, Frank was very put out. Try as he might, he hadn’t been able to get Frank Jr. to speak to him. If he was going to show off his creation to the world, he needed to be able to show that it at least possessed a modicum of intelligence, and being able to converse would show just how great Frank Jr. was. He could not figure out why his creation would not speak though, he knew that he possessed vocal cords, he had installed them himself.

Frank Jr. would not speak though. He wouldn’t even go on a proper monstrous rampage, which was a huge disappointment since Frank had spent so much money insuring the castle. No, Frank Jr. just sat in the lab and sulked.

Frank was at his wit’s end. Finally, he sat down beside his gargantuan creation and asked, “What’s wrong?”

Then it spoke. The word was quiet and more than a little moody sounding, but Frank Jr. said, “Nothin’.”

For over another week, that was all that Frank got from his creation. He would try to figure out what was wrong, and Frank Jr. would reply with, “Nothin’.”

Finally, things came to a head as his creation became more and more depressed and moody as time passed. “Come on, Junior, did I do something to make you upset?”

“If you don’t know what you did wrong, I’m not going to tell you,” his creation said as he turned away to sulk once more.

He had done something wrong? Whatever it was, Frank just couldn’t see it. “I gave you life! I gave you a body that any man would envy!” he snapped, allowing his frustration with his creation to show.

“Yes!” Frank Jr. snapped back with teary eyes as he began to sob. “Y-you gave me a m-man’s body, b-but my… brain is a w-woman’s!” The poor creature broke down as her entire existence of three weeks in that hideous male shell and being called Frank Jr. became too much for her to bear.

That was when Frank realized that he had really screwed up. Maybe he shouldn’t have bought the brain on eBay. He sat down, put his arm around his colossal creation, and awkwardly patted her on the back. “There, there. We’ll get through this together. So… Frankie… how do you feel about a vacation? We can hit the beach, catch some waves, and… maybe I can dig up some beach bunnies to make you a new body you’ll be happy with.”

Copyright © 2023 Amethyst Gibbs
up
117 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

He should call her Abby something.

Emma Anne Tate's picture

Maybe, Abby Normal?

Fun and thought-provoking take, Amethyst. Frank may have monster-proofed the castle, but you blew right through the fourth wall!

Emma

Snerk

Amethyst's picture

Yes, Young Frankenstein was on my mind when I wrote this. And that fourth wall deserved it, it was blocking the view ;)

*big hugs*

Amethyst

ChibiMaker1.jpg

Don't take me too seriously. I'm just kitten around. :3

he should look at his e-bay

he should look at his e-bay receipt and see if he bought it from eye-gor

Yup

Amethyst's picture

He specifically ordered an abnormal brain too; his buyer feedback isn't going to be good.

*big hugs*

Amethyst

ChibiMaker1.jpg

Don't take me too seriously. I'm just kitten around. :3

Oh, that is so sad

BarbieLee's picture

Sorry love but I can't stop laughing over this one. I've read wretched tales before. I've read stories that should have never escaped to paper from the pen. Amethyst, my pet, you rose to the top of the worse story telling I have ever had the displeasure to lay my eyes on. And I'm still laughing trying to remember where I left the mind bleach.
Hugs Amethyst, I'm going to hate you come morning if this monster is still stuck in my mind.
Barb
Halloween or not this tale is unforgivable. Why did I give up drinking??? Oh wait, I never started. Now might be a good time to begin.

Oklahoma born and raised cowgirl

According to another (dead)

According to another (dead) poet the worst poet was Paula Nancy Millstone Jennings, because her poetry is the worst in the universe. ;-)

Indeed, Barb

Amethyst's picture

This was me totally not taking myself seriously. I wanted to write something funny and short and a little bizarre. The imprtant question though, Barb, was it still stuck in your mind the next morning?

ChibiMaker1.jpg

Don't take me too seriously. I'm just kitten around. :3

Yes

Amethyst's picture

and a very wacky homage it is.

*big hugs*

Amethyst

ChibiMaker1.jpg

Don't take me too seriously. I'm just kitten around. :3

Chapeau!

When it comes to funny stories yours are among the top.

PS
Barbie, are you sure your brain isn't on its way to Florida?

Awww, thanks Bru

Amethyst's picture

That means a lot coming from you. You have some of the best shorts on BCTS.

*big hugs*

Amethyst

ChibiMaker1.jpg

Don't take me too seriously. I'm just kitten around. :3

Mel Brooks

crash's picture

In the long line of Frankenstein retelling there is only one I like better than this one. And that one is Mel Brooks' __Young Frankenstein__. I'm surprised to say that you bumped __Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein__ into third place.

Brava, Brava indeed.

Crescenda

aka

Your friend
Crash

Thanks Crash

Amethyst's picture

Young Frankenstein is one of my very favorite movies, but to beat out Abbott and Costello, wow.

*big hugs*

Amethyst

ChibiMaker1.jpg

Don't take me too seriously. I'm just kitten around. :3

Franks Monster

I don't know if it could be worse, we didn't get an up to date weather report . At least she's in the hands of a good surgeon and with luck she should have lots of input on her new look he digs up for her.

Time is the longest distance to your destination.

Weather

Amethyst's picture

Yup, they could have gotten to the beach in hurricane season. Frank will do his best for her, and hopefully let her help pick out the features she wants.

*big hugs*

Amethyst

ChibiMaker1.jpg

Don't take me too seriously. I'm just kitten around. :3

I buy lots on eBay

all the while considering the quote 'caveat emptor' and being prepared to question the vendor. But would yours have responded honestly? Who knows!
Dave

eBay

Amethyst's picture

Yup, you have to be careful buying on eBay and get all the deets. The person was selling human brains though, so they're probably just a teensy bit shifty.

*big hugs*

Amethyst

ChibiMaker1.jpg

Don't take me too seriously. I'm just kitten around. :3

A trans Frankenstein

Sounds like doctor Frankenstein needs to work on his plastic surgery a bit more. We've seen what the female version looks like, there is definitely room for improvement.

I'm sure Dr, Stein can do

Amethyst's picture

I'm sure Dr, Stein can do better than that, and he's looking for parts rfom beach bunnies so he probably has some good ideas for poor Frankie.

*big hugs*

Amethyst

ChibiMaker1.jpg

Don't take me too seriously. I'm just kitten around. :3

Hsss

TheCropredyKid's picture

[nt]

 
 
 
x

:D

Amethyst's picture

Takes a bow. I'd like to thank the Academy...

*big hugs*

Amethyst

ChibiMaker1.jpg

Don't take me too seriously. I'm just kitten around. :3

Maybe Frank should have

Maybe Frank should have bought the brain on amazon.
Hmm, maybe he can dig up Whitney Houston, Audrey Hepburn, Judy Garland, Marilyn Monroe, Grace Kelly, Marlene Dietrich and Persis Khambatta, so Frankie should have a lot of bodies to choose from. Or Maybe Frank can patch together a customized body from these parts.

Thx for another nice story^^

Amazon

Amethyst's picture

is better than eBay for a lot of stuff and I'm sure that if they thought they could get away with selling human brains, they would. Lots of good choices there, but he'll probably put together a custom job for Frankie.

*big hugs*

Amethyst

ChibiMaker1.jpg

Don't take me too seriously. I'm just kitten around. :3

Yeah, I'd go for a custom job

Yeah, I'd go for a custom job, too. The only problem will be to find the right body parts. And body parts "fresh" enough, if you get my drift. >:->

Yup, fresh is important

Amethyst's picture

Don't want Frankie to be half decomposed after all.

*big hugs*

Amethyst

ChibiMaker1.jpg

Don't take me too seriously. I'm just kitten around. :3

Poor Francine

Poor, poor Francine