Gaby Book 26 ~ On The Edge ~ Chapter *2*

Printer-friendly version
book 26 print cover_1.jpg
Gaby

Book 26
On The Edge

by Maddy Bell
Copyright© 2021 Madeline Bell

Seventeen - it's a birthday overshadowed by its predecessor and successor and Gaby's looks set to follow that pattern. There are however big decisions to be made, should she grab life by the horns and experience everything it has to offer or take the more conservative, safer route through life. This volume, the 26th in the Gaby series has all the elements of classic Gaby, bike riding, teenage angst, developing relationships, grist to the mill for our heroine as life in the Ahrtal ticks on.

 

*Chapter 2*
Plot Lines

 
Call me shallow if you like but what with one thing and another, one of the highlights of my year, my birthday, is in danger of slipping by unnoticed. First Mum had to cancel our girly birthday trip to Paris as George brought forward the seniors racing schedule, oh I know we had the day in Bonn but seriously, not the same. Then there's been all the hoo - har with the BlauHase tour, the Kabin and preparations for the Tenerife training camp.

Don't get me wrong, each of them has been important in their own way but on Sunday I turn seventeen and with two days to go I don't know whether I'm having a party, going out for the day or what – a girl likes to know these things. I mean, usually something has been said by someone by now but I guess seventeen isn't as big a deal as sixteen or eighteen. There's just not been a word from anyone, even that dumkopf Max or blabbermouth Thesing, I mean, Connie can't keep a secret to save herself but nada.

"So,” I began as we started the opening process for the Kabin next morning, "Anything happening this weekend?”
"Nothing special I don't think,” Nena shrugged back, "Come on, I want all the details about our 'tour'.”

Doesn't look like I'm gonna get anything out of Nena, if there is anything to get.

"Not that I object Gabs but why Misty?” Nena asked as we waited for our first custom of the day, sipping our 'tester' coffees.
"Dunno,” I admitted, "It just popped into my head and I thought its sounded pretty cool, better than Erdbeere.”
"But that's pretty cool, its not like you meet any other Strawberries is it?”
"Only those dancing ones on the Müller Light™ adverts,” I chuckled.
"Well their singing isn't a patch on you.”
"But they are a bit fruitier,” I suggested.
"Gaby Bond, that is a bit rubbish even for you. So I guess you'll be going pink again?”
"I was thinking i'd get a perücke from the Karneval shop, its only just finished growing out from last time and I kind of like it this colour,” I opined, pulling my braid around to inspect my white blonde tresses.
"Won't a wig be a bit hot on the stage?”
I shrugged, "Its only for like an hour.”
"And the rest,” Nen added.
"Rest?”
"Well you'll need to put it on before and you can't just come off stage and pull it off can you?”
"I guess not, hadn't really thought about it that much.”
"And you'll need to have at least one spare, what about the style, they're usually fixed aren't they?”
"I guess.”
"So maybe, I dunno, three styles, plus spares, thats quite a bit of Geld Gabs.”
"But I don't want to be growing out pink dye for another six months.”
"You could use one like that time Claudia did your hair blue.”

Claudia.

"But that washed out in a couple of days, that'll probably cost as much as the wigs.”
"Hmm,” she mused, "Leave it with me, as your roadie, Misty will come up with a solution.”
"If you say so,” I allowed, "Looks like we've got customers.”
 
And so Friday the twenty third rolled on, a steady, if not huge, stream of customers keeping the pair of us just busy enough to warrant being open. We don't need a huge amount of business to break even but we do need to cover the wages, supplies and utilities, most days we cover that, some we don't. I have to say that a lot of the financial stuff I do understand better now, like why so much gets set aside instead of servicing the loans, I wasn't really sure that hospitality management was gonna be my thing but the more I learn, the more confident I am that its a good career path – once I retire from racing!

 
"You wanting a lift to the TanzKlub kiddo?” Dad enquired when I flopped onto the sofa after delivering his tea.
"Thought i'd go on the Mofa, its not raining or anything.”
"Okay,” he allowed, "You gonna pick up supper on the way back?”
I stuck my hand out, "Can do, what do you want?”
"The usual, you know with the peppers and chicken,” he advised fishing a twenty euro note out of his wallet, "Best check what Amanda wants.”
"The Vegetarian most likely.”
"I thought she'd given up on that?”
"Think its a mood thing, you know, time of the month.”
"Too much information.”
"You did ask, so, we doing anything on Sunday?” I hinted.
"Nothing planned, why?”
"Just wondered, you know with it being MY BIRTHDAY.”
He shrugged, "I guess we could go to the Anker for lunch?”
"I guess,” I allowed with a sigh.

It really is looking like my birthday is gonna be a non event this year.
 
After all the fuss over me getting one, my Mofa doesn't really get used that much. Well it would take forever to ride down to college in Koblenz, longer than on my bike so thats out, the rents aren't keen on me using it if the weather is remotely dodgy so using it this week to go to the Kabin is the most i've used it since I took delivery of the pink peril. But when its dry and my destination is fairly local, its better than taking the Schauff and gives me independence from parent taxis.

I dropped my handtasche over my head, dropped my kitbag in the basket and settled the crash helmet on my head before wheeling my steed outside. Brrr, even with my waterproofs on it felt chilly, I dived back into bike central for my winter gloves, no point in having the stuff if you don't use it right? Being a girly model I am at least spared the kickstart of Max's machine, I turned the key and the tinny motor burst into life, on with the lights and a twist of the accelerator and I was away.

Of course, the few kilometres up to Ahrweiler would be quicker on my road bike, not much slower on the shopper but this way I arrived at Garde without being a sweaty mess. I arrived amidst the flurry of cars dropping off many of the other Garde, having to thread through the traffic to park next to Han's car at the side of the hall. By the time i'd put the lock on and made my way inside I was almost the last to arrive.

"Evening Gaby, Frohes Geburtstag for Sunday,” Hannah offered as I stripped off my all weather outfit.
"Thanks Hannah, at least somebody has remembered,” I bemoaned.
"I can't believe I'm the only one.”
"Well its not so much that they've forgotten but they don't seem to be very interested in the fact.”
"A sign you're getting older maybe?”
"I guess,” I allowed with a sigh, "I remember theirs though.”
"Come on, lets take your mind off birthdays and do some Garde eh?” she chivvied.

Garde of course, is the uniquely German answer to – well its unique! For competitions the 'squad' are all dressed alike, no make that identical, same wig, same makeup, same costume which is weird in itself but the whole thing is weird, all about control and syncronicity whilst performing a series of quasi military marching figures, the sort of thing you might see at some fancy military tattoo. I'm a sort of part time member of the squad, I mainly do it for the exercise so my time all gussied up is thankfully rare, we just wear keep fit type gear for practices.

"Gaby, head back a bit, Fran, your left foot isn't in line,” our coach prompted, "So interlocking wheel on my count, three.”

 
It might not be high speed, all action like cheer or even ballroom but after forty five minutes of holding the poses, slow marching and so on your muscles are screaming, you hurt all over and all you want to do is collapse in a heap.

"Aaaa-nd stop, that was great girls, early next week please, we need to check everyones uniforms so we're ready for the spring series, see you next week.”
"Bleh!” I allowed.
"You need a lift Gab?” Pia asked as we gathered towels and discarded clothing.
"I'm on the Mofa tonight.”
"Sorry we couldn't give you a lift tonight.”
"Not a problem.”
"Happy birthday Gab,” Solde told me as she presented an envelope.
"Thanks, I didn't think anyone would remember.”
"You always remember everyones and Han reminded us last week.” she grinned.

By the time that i'd changed footwear and dressed in the frankly oversized wet suit, I had collected a pile of envelopes and a couple of small packages from the rest of the girls but notably nothing from P. Do I smell a rat? The Angels never pass up a birthday opportunity.

Oh yeah, The Angels, I'm not sure who first called us that but the name has stuck, really we're just a group of friends who do charity type stuff, Me, Con, Nena, Bridget, Steffi, Pia and originally Anna but she's older than the rest of us and not so involved now. Its not just us of course, we sometimes drag a few others in to do stuff, Max and Marty are our usual muscle and a few other girl friends have helped out, even Mand a couple of times. I guess it all started when I was elected Weinkonigen a couple of years back – a story for another day.

Anyhow, Pia's lack of even a card is just plain fishy

I pulled the bungee over the pizza boxes, one Pollo Diablo for Dad, one double Pepperoni for me and Mand's Seafood Spezial. To be honest they looked a bit dodgy and I think they'll need warming up when I get them home – could do with one of those insulated bags that the delivery guys use. Oh well, another check that they were secure and I set off back to Dernau.

We don't always get pizza after Garde or Cheer even if Dad's running taxi but its a nice treat and gets everyone out of cooking. Hmm, my mouth was watering just from the smells in the Pizza shop, I tried upping the speed but my Mofa was already screaming at its restricted limit. Back at Bond Acres I parked my transport and rushed inside with the swag.

"That you kiddo?” Dad's voice enquired.

Well duh, who else would it be?

"Yeah,” I called back, "I'll just warm these back up, its freezing out there.”
"Tables ready.” I was informed.

Guess that means I'm delivery girl, cook and waitress tonight. Pizzas in the oven, I stripped back to indoor wear, set the coffee going and recovered my birthday haul so I could open them with the pizza. The food only needed a quick warm, the coffee was only part done, someone else can fetch that in a bit, I retrieved the boxes and headed into the family room.

 
"There you are, thought you were making them fresh,” Dad suggested.
"You can have yours cold another time,” I huffed as I shuffled boxes to eaters on the dining table.
"No need to be snarky.”
"She's been acting weird all week,” Mand told my Dad, "Think she's 'on'.”
"I am here you know,” I put in, "And I am not 'on'!”
"Oh yes you are,” they both chorused.

Urgh!

"So what's with the post?” Dad went on as I picked up the first envelope.
"Birthday cards from Garde, at least some people remember.”
"You don't need to be like that, its only a birthday for heavens sake,” Mand informed me.

Ooooh!
 
First Pia and now Dad and Mand acting all weird about my birthday, there is definitely something going on, I know, I'll ring Max, he'll know. My pizza was sitting a little heavily, well I ate it a bit quick just to get out of the room, my tablemates carrying on a discussion about next weeks traing camp that apparently didn't need any input from yours truly. I located my Handy and hit the speed dial for my boy friend.

"Von Strechau.”
"Max, its Gab.”
"Wassup?”
"Nothing really, just er, missing seeing you. So what've you been doing?”
"This and that, usual stuff really, you?”
"Been at the Kabin most of the week.”
"Nice,” he replied with little interest in his voice.
"Dad and me met with Stefan yesterday, you know from BlauHase.”
"Oh?”
"We're going on tour at Easter.”

That bit of news certainly seemed to get his head to engage the gears.

"Just you and the band?”
"Hardly,” I told him, "There's a few more going and I'll have my own roadie.”
"I coulda done that,” he stated.
"Wasn't gonna happen, had to be a girl.”
"I coulda pretended.”
"No offense Max but you don't make a very good looking laydee,”
"Not what you said before.”

Look, its a bit embarrasing but I ended up in charge of his costume when he landed a female role for a themed dance we did back in school, he looked sort of okay but convincing, hmm and he's grown since then too.

"I lied,” I suggested into the communication device.
"So who is this girl roadie then?”

Should I? Yeah, why not.

"You won't know her, she's called Misty.”

He seemed vaguely satisfied with that, we spent the next twenty minutes discussing the tour and my part in it before I deemed it time to drop in the real purpose of my call, February the twenty fifth.

"So,” I purred, "Are we doing anything this weekend?”

Okay, I know I spend a lot of time denying that Max and me are anything other than mates but I guess we are a sort of couple even if we've never gone beyond a snog and fumble in the vineyard. We like each other which should be enough but others like to hang labels on things so in the minds of those looking in we are a couple who, in the fullness of time will marry and continue the von Strechau line. As if that's gonna happen.

"This weekend?”
"Well I'm going away next week, after my birthday.”
"Your birthday, right, think i've got you a card here somewhere, guess I'll have to drop it round.”

Urgh!

"So you haven't got anything planned?” I hinted.
"Not unless you count mucking mums horses out in the morning, I could use a hand with that.”
"I. Am. Not. Mucking out pferde!”
"Was worth a try.”

I could almost see him shrug his shoulders across the airwaves.

"So what about you, got anything planned,” he turned the question back onto me.
"Not so's you'd notice,” I mentioned through gritted teeth.
"You fancy meeting up...”

Yes!

“...on say Tuesday, we've got a half day at college so we could catch a burger or something.”
"I'll think about about.”
“'kay, look I need to get off, early start in the stables tomorrow.”
"Whatever.”
"Nite.”
"And you.”

 
Meanwhile there was a fourway call across the Ahrtal.

"You think she suspects anything?” Con asked her co conspirators.
"She kept dropping hints at the kiosk today,” Nena told her friends.
"What about Max?” Bridg queried.
"He is the weak link,” Steffi opined.
"As long as she doesn't actually go to see him he'll be fine.”
"So we got everything organised then?” Con asked the co-operative.
"Ingrid's gonna go fetch Marty and Bernie with the baby,” Steff confirmed.
"Herr Bond is arranging the goose chase to get Sunday lunch,” Nena added, "And Amanda is going to come up with you Con.”
"Okay, what about her sister?”
"I spoke to her yesterday, they're coming up tomorrow to stay with the other parents then they'll drive down Sunday morning,” Steff filled in.
"You have got the other stuff Bridg?”
"Stop worrying Con,” Bridget soothed, "It'll be fine.”
"I hope so, I'm supposed to be her best friend. Oh, did you get hold of Anna Steff?”
"Yeah, she said she'll try.”
"Well if thats Sunday sorted,” Bridg started, "You gonna tell us this news Nen?”
 

And in Schloss Rech the menfolk were doing the lock up rounds.

"You okay Max.” his father asked.
"Fine, well not really fine, all this keeping Sunday from Gabs, if she'd asked directly I would've had to of told her.”
"But she didn't I take it, and you didn't.”
"She's going to kill me!”
"Don't be so melodramatic.”
 
Back in theBond House

I lay in the darkness of my eyrie, staring at the black on black expanse of the ceiling above me. Maybe turning seventeen is of no consequence, Max hasn't got anything planned, Dad and Mand seem to think dinner at the Anker will be treat enough, I couldn't get through to Con and Nena, seemed to be genuine.

It was weird that Pia didn't have a card for me at Garde though, you'd think she would have brought it with her unless she did actually forget or there's something going on. Nah, they'd never get everyone to keep quiet, Max would tell me anything if I ask him.

 
"I spoke to mum earlier, i'll meet her at the airport and we'll drive straight up, her flight lands about thirty minutes before mine.” Jenny told her husband, "You think she suspects anything?”
"She's been dropping some not so subtle hints but no, I don't think she has a clue.”
"Fingers crossed.”
"And everything else,” Dave added.
"Try to get her in something decent, where did you say you were taking her?”
"The Anker.”
"You might need to up the ante or at least make a bit more of it.”
"I'll get Amanda on the case, sure she can convince our daughter to 'make a point' with me.”
"That a boy! I miss you Dave Bond.”
"Likewise Jennifer Bond, likewise.”
 
Maddy Bell © 11.02.2021

up
124 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Excellent trickery!

I just hope Gaby isn't so excited by the surprise that she spring a leak at the reveal. ;-)

History being made

Jamie Lee's picture

This may be the first time in the history of the girl's friendship that a surprise party has been kept secret from Gaby. Usually, if Gaby smells a rat, she start asking questions and eventually someone spills the beans.

Not this time though. So far it's being kept close to everyone's chest, even Max has kept quiet. As long as everyone acts normal, Gaby should be surprised when it finally happens.

Others have feelings too.

Now that Gaby's German she's

Now that Gaby's German she's allowed to say: "Ve haf vays of mekking you talk." >:->

Thx for another nice chapter^^

Kool-Aid

Hypatia Littlewings's picture

The teens who shopped where I used to work, would buy Kool-Aid to color their hair.

Strawberry?