Gaby Book 26 ~ On The Edge ~ Chapter *33*

Printer-friendly version
book 26 print cover_1.jpg
Gaby

Book 26
On The Edge

by Maddy Bell
Copyright© 2021 Madeline Bell

Seventeen - it's a birthday overshadowed by its predecessor and successor and Gaby's looks set to follow that pattern. There are however big decisions to be made, should she grab life by the horns and experience everything it has to offer or take the more conservative, safer route through life. This volume, the 26th in the Gaby series has all the elements of classic Gaby, bike riding, teenage angst, developing relationships, grist to the mill for our heroine as life in the Ahrtal ticks on.

 

*Chapter 33*
Live Another Day

 
Sleep wasn't quick to arrive, what with getting creeped out at the Tanzklub and of course the issues that Nena was having at home. I know its quite selfish of me but without Nena my participation and indeed the whole BlauHase tour is in the balance. I'm not sure whether my 'pep' talk had any real effect but she did at least sound more like the old Nena – hmm I should talk to the other Angels.

Angels – thats a laugh. Well I suppose some of our number haven't gone to the dark side, I mean, Con is studying to be a kindergarten teacher which is sort of Angel stuff. Hmm, maybe thats it, we need to do something together, not sure what mind or when even.
 

After Monday, Tuesday and indeed the rest of the week was pretty mundane, college, training, learning the new songs, they all kept me busy. Mum had a flying visit midweek, the team having a late invite to a race in Mexico meant a change of plans for the whole Apollinaris squad. With a commitment to ride the German season opener, Die Rattenfanger GP up near Hameln, Gret, Mand and myself have been seconded to join Roni and Anita who drew the short straws for Mehicko.

Of course I'm looking forward to mixing it with the senior women but its mucked up my weekend plans, such as they were. I really had been looking forward to going to the cineplex in Bad Godesberg with Max on Saturday, yep just the two of us, a rare event in itself. And Bern was gonna bring Drea down to the Kabin on Sunday, oh I know its not the end of the world, both things can be rearranged but I hate letting people down.
 

"Come on you two,” Dad encouraged, "I don't want to be getting to the hotel too late.”
"Nearly ready,” I called down, well I'll be at least the proverbial five minutes, you know what I'm like.

"Got everything?”
"Think so,” well its best not to be too certain, Dad had our newly endorsed licences after a frantic trip to Frankfurt yesterday so it was the bike gear that needed third checking.
"Lets see then,” Dad sighed.
I opened my case and started my rummage, "Knickers, track mitts, shoes, er BH, Handy charger, bibs.”
"Socks?” he hinted.
I scrabbled around to find them, "Ta da!”
"Okay, George has left us a box of stuff at the office so we'll need to stop there first, Manda, you ready?”
"Just need my bag.”

We're taking the Saab, well its gonna double as team car tomorrow and its faster on the autobahn than the camper. Dad locked the house up while I heaved my bag down to the car, Dad and Mand's cases were already inside, along with our team frocks, a turbo, workstand, toolbox – well a lot of gear. The church bells sounded noon as we made our way through Dernau, for some reason I had butterflies in my stomach.

It didn't take long at team HQ, although the box Dad brought out looked like it had more than just three jerseys in it. Next stop was literally five minutes further down the valley, at the Pinger's house, Maria may have retired from racing but Kat is of course the team dogsbody – this weekend she gets to join us.

By the time we left the Ahr valley, the car was well stuffed, I even ended up in the back with Mand – well Kat's bigger all round and with the back seat being used for extra storage too, well it made sense. Maybe we should've come in the camper after all or at least the team minibus. At least the day was dry so far, nothing worse than a long drive in the wet.
 

"Are we meeting the others there?” I enquired as we headed up towards Köln.
"Dieter and Gret yes, we're meeting Anita and Roni at Kassel services.”
"We stopping for food?” Mand asked.
"Just coffee and facilities, we've got a meal booked at the hotel.”
"How're you guys going with the diet plan?” Kat queried over her shoulder.
"Er, okay,” I hedged.
"Oh great, the seniors really find it helps.”
"Don't get too excited Kat,” Mand broke in, "Miss hollow legs never said she was following it.”
"I have too,” I shot back, "Well a bit, I had salad the other day.”

This time it was Dad sniggering at my reply.

Kat let out a sigh, "Well its a start I suppose.”

Of course, we've been this direction before, up to Düssel then through the Ruhrgebiet towards Kassel. From there the motorways will take you up towards Hannover, east towards Magdeburg and Berlin or south to Frankfurt. A lot of the traffic takes a more northerly, flatter route from the Ruhr, not that the Kassel road is bad but it does get a bit more interesting with grades towards the Harz mountains.

Not that thats of much concern when you're in a car, the Ruhr is still the industrial heart of the country, the motorways testament to that with both heavy and slow traffic until we passed Bochum, the road clearing further as each succesive junction took more juggernauts from the arterial route. By the time we passed the Möhne Dam turn off, the traffic was pretty light and we made almost unhindered progress eastwards.

I could just see the speedometer, we were ticking along at about one twenty, fast enough but clearly not for everyone, a couple of organ donors, some sort of BM with a Golf Gti tucked behind, passed us like we were stood still.

Its wide, open country across here, the road rising, falling and turning in a ribbon of concrete across the landscape. It didn't seem that long but when I checked, we'd been going for over two hours when the first Kassel sign came up.

"Which services Dave?” Kat enquired.
"Damn, I can't remember which Anita said,” he admitted.
"I'll give them a call.”

I know we only saw everyone last week but I was kinda looking forward to seeing Ron and Anita, it'll be almost like old times, racing together. Yeah, me and Ron had some great times, okay I know it hasn't always been a bed of roses between us but mostly we got on and worked well together. Its never been quite the same since she moved up, oh I know Mand's here and this last year we've done more with the full squad but its not really the same as those halcyon days when we were both still finding our feet in the world of bicycle racing.

"Okay,” Kat's voice brought me back to the present, "About ten minutes I think, tschuss.”
"So?” Dad queried.
"Lohfeldener,” Kat stated, "You go off at the mitte junction.”
"Up on the hill?”
"Sounds familiar.”

Of course, nothing is ever that simple, it was only after we the next junction that Dad realised we couldn't turn north at the A7 junction due to roadworks. The result was an extra ten kilometres down to the first junction and back which meant our arrival at the services was delayed. We swung into the parkplatz, and found a slot almost outside of the roadhouse – well with ten thousand Euros of bike strapped to the roof you can't be too careful.

By now I actually needed the facilities so while the others took a more leisurely stroll I pretty much sprinted for the toilets.
 

"Bond!”

I jerked around from perusing a rack of CD's, no BlauHase just loads of cheesy Heimat, most Germans say our name as 'Bont' so Bond suggests familiarity and sure enough I spotted Anita and Ron just coming through the doors.

"Hey.” I allowed, "You made it.”
"We've been here ages,” Neet advised.
"Waiting for you guys to get here, talking of which, where is everyone?”
"Downstairs I guess.”
"Or waiting outsde the restaurant,” Ron proposed.
"Eh?”

Sure enough the rest of the Ahrtal taxi passengers were stood further along the concourse looking at the Speisskarte. The three of us set out to join them, being spotted by eagle eyed de Vreen on the way.

"You two eaten or anything?” Dad enquired.
"We'd only just got here when Kat called,” Nita supplied.
"Late lunch?” Kat suggested.

Yes!

"Okay, just remember we've food booked at the hotel later so nothing too heavy,” Dad told us.
 

"I said something light,” Dad mentioned as I slid my tray onto the table, laden with a regular cornucopia of edible delights – okay Frikadel, Pommes, salad and a Brotchen which, if I'm honest was a little past its best. But beggars can't be choosy right?
"I'm a growing girl.”
"The only direction you'll be growing is out,” Mand suggested.
"Girls, play nice,” Neet opined.

The others had been a bit more restrained, Ron and Neet both had soup, Mand a baked tater with what looked like beetroot sauce, Kat was on green tea and Dad had supplemented his coffee with a cheese croissant. Well they all need to watch their waistlines, I don't ,so there.

"Where are your bikes?” Mand enquired.
"We were supposed to bring bikes?” Ron gasped.
"Haven't you guys brought them?” Nita added.
"Only ours,” Mand told them, a look of horror rolling up her face.
"Guess I'll have to go back and fetch them,” Dad put in.
"We can wait here,” Kat proposed.

By now Manda's face was in a rictus of horror.

"Thought I was the dumb blonde.”
"Blonde yes,” Ron told me, "But I don't think dumb's the right word.”
"Well at least I'm not as gullible as some around here.”
"Eh?” de Vreen allowed, "Who's gullible?”
"You are dummy.”
"Me?”
"You don't think they've actually left their bikes behind do you?”
"They haven't?”
“'course not,” Ron grinned, "They're in Nita's back seat.”
"You, you.... meanies!”
"The look on your face Manda,” Neet grinned.
"You all played along” the victim accused.
"It was just too good,” Kat chortled.
"Hmmph!”
 

We finished up, made the obligatory comfort stop and returned to our transport, Dad waiting for Nita to drive round in her old Astra before setting off. As the crow flies its only about sixty K up the Wesertal to Hameln but we're going the more roundabout but quicker way via the A7 up to Hildesheim before driving across to our hotel at some place called Welliehausen just north of Rat City. Hey, he's doing the driving, I just read the directions.

The A7 was quite busy, its the main route from the north down into central Germany and beyond. There was a steady line of juggernauts in lane one going at what looked to be a silly slow speed, I realised why when we started to drop, it had been a significant climb from Kassel. Moments later we were climbing once again, the road straight as an arrow ahead, this time we could hear the Saab straining a bit on the continuous maybe ten percent grade.

This time the commercial traffic really was at a crawl, I checked behind for Ron and Neet but we'd tailed them off, our two litre turbo far outstripping the ancient one point nothing. It seemed to go forever but there was a top and a decent, almost equally as steep but less straight and long. There was another smaller berg before we reached the Magdeburg motorway then it was a flatter road up past Göttingen, the wooded foothills of the Harz mountains rolling away beyond.

I do sometimes miss England, the sheer variety of countryside you encounter in even a short journey but here in my, our, adoptive home you get much more of everything. If its flat its flat for dozens of kilometres, if its hilly it won't be just one lonely ridge but folds of the things. In a car or on a train you sail through these landscapes but on a bike it can become quite challenging, tomorrows Rattenfanger GP was described to me as 'a bit rolling', but looking at the countryside we are travelling through its not going to be a gentle walk in the Niedersachsen woods or anything close!
 

It was close on five o'clock when we turned up the lane to Welliehausen, a village, if you can call it that, overtaken by a housing boom of similar vintage to our place back in Church Warsop. The Landgasthaus Hesse predates this expansion but no doubt relies on it for much of its income if the size of the car park was anything to go by. We pulled to a halt, Dad heading straight inside while the rest of us started unloading.

"When does Gret get here?” Mand asked as we made our way up to the entrance.
"Thought they'd be here,” I opined, "Its closer for them I think.”
"This place looks a bit er rustic.”

To be honest it looked like a fairly standard cut and paste job, you could plonk it just about anywhere in the country and it wouldn't be out of place. Inside it was the usual cream walls, dark wood and wrought iron that decorates half, no more, of German homes and hostelries, even Bond Acres has its share.

Dad appeared through a frosted glass door.

"Ah, there you are, right you two and Greta are in room four which is up these stairs then up again.”
"Is there a lift?” Mand asked hopefilly.
"Only to the first level, you have to go out the front and in the side door.”
I grabbed the key from his hand, "Well I'm going straight up.”
"Dump your bags,” Dad told us, "Frau Brandt is arranging coffee for us in the bar.”
"Come on de Vreen, its only a few steps.”

Well okay, more than a few, the stairs went up to a landing, through a door then up again with a rest partway where room one was situated. There was a sort of lounge area at the top with rooms two and three going off along with the lift and stairs leading down to the side entrance I guess. The arrow on the wall directed us to a short flight of quite steep stairs to tonights lodging.

"Nice,” I mentioned stepping into what was clearly attic space, a large expanse with exposed timbers, two large dormer windows, all furnished in heavy but pale timber.
"Shower's a bit small,” Mand called from what I guess was the bathroom.

No arguing that, the room itself, when I looked in, was quite big but the shower was wedged between the exposed rafters at one end, the toilet under the eaves at the other.

"Who's getting the single?” Mand queried.

Beds, yep the room sleeps three, two in one bed and a single.

"I'll share if you want, best let Gret have the kinder bed.”
"I suppose its only one night.”
"If you want to argue with Gret be my guest.”
"Think I'll pass.”
"Lets go find this coffee then.”
 

Apart from our cramped dusch, everyone seemed quite happy with the rooms, the other women were in One whilst Dad and Dieter had Two and Three respectively – well George had already paid so there was no need for them to share. Talking of Dieter, he and his daughter arrived as we were talking, joining us before taking their bags up.

"Well,” Dad started, "Seing as we're all here, we might as well go over tomorrow now. I know its all been a bit of a rush, last minute changes are never great, on behalf of George i'd like to thank everyone for stepping up. So, breakfast at seven, we need to be down in Hameln about nine, presentation is at ten, ten thirty roll out. There's neutral service but Dieter and myself will be in the train, use us if you can.

Feed at the start of lap three, thats you Kat, see how things are but I suggest maybe Roni and Manda grab for everyone, we'll have bidons in the car if you need extra. Its the same course as last year apparently, you rode Anita?”

"How could I forget, it snowed! The climbs are quite draggy, a few steep bits and the surface is not always so good. The finish is in the centre outside the Rathaus, if it comes to a big gallop it could be interesting, there are metal studs in the paving which are not so good.”

I started chuckling.

"Whats so funny Bond?” Gret asked.
"Nothing really, its just the finish is at the Rathaus and its Hameln.”
"So?”
"Rattenfanger, Rathaus?”

Mand sniggered then.

"Its an English thing,” Neet supplied, "The story of the Rattenfanger in Hamelin and the Rathaus, I know its not the same thing but the British, they have strange humour.”
"Er right,” Gret still looked puzzled, I guess some things just don't translate.

"Questions,” Dad pressed on.
"Do we have team orders?” Ron requested.
"Good question,” Dad paused before continuing, "Officially no, George just needed a squad on the startline, hear me out Gaby.”

How did he know I was about to protest that?

"I don't want to get into team politics, Ron, Anita, this is in confidence okay, you're here because you fitted in best with the juniors in Tenerife, you get along with my lot well. Clearly we are at a disadvantage to some of the other squads but our very youth will, I hope be our advantage tomorrow. So Nita, you're in charge out there, you call the shots, get people in moves but keep some powder in reserve for the finale.

George just wanted numbers on jersey's but I think we can, at the very least, make our presence felt. So, its a watching brief, if we can get a rider, riders even in at the final that would be terrific. Our advantage is that the other teams, they haven't ridden against you three,” he pointed at Gret, Mand and myself, "They don't know your strengths, your weaknesses, Gab's will be in a standard jersey so none of you will stand out.”

"Thats sneaky,” Ron mentioned.
"Actually its the rules, her titles are for junior only, whilst they can ride this event at seventeen as its open category, you only get to wear the jersey in equivalent events – I checked with the Federation yesterday.”
"Bit of a swizz,” Mand lamented.
"Think of it as useful camoflage.”
"Hidden in plain sight,” Gret added.

 
Maddy Bell © 01.05.2021

up
82 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

IIRC, Gabby's bike has world

IIRC, Gabby's bike has world champ colours. Apart from spoiling the camo, is it allowed in the seniors race, or will it need taping over ?

Patience

Maddy Bell's picture

glass hopper, all will be revealled to (s)he that waits


image7.1.jpg    

Madeline Anafrid Bell