Summer's Current: Witch Corps and Beyond 29-33 Finale

Printer-friendly version

{Highlight to read}

Summer's Current:
Witch Corps and Beyond

Antarran Redemption Hat.jpg

 

Chapter 29


 
 
“Do we understand each other, Major. General. Christoff?” Aunt Cora grilled the military man angrily.
“I do, Queen Norge. It will never happen again, I guarantee it.” He answered while looking at me and the other Corps members nervously.
“Come now, Garritt, we both know it will continue to happen. That is the nature of the job. That is your nature. I do expect less intra-office- less than official- interpersonal communications in the future when interrogating newcomers to our system. Consider this a warning and use it as a learning aid for all preparation drills henceforth.” Aunt Cora continued.
“But Queen Norge! This was all a set-up!” His eyes oscillated between his queen and me rapidly. “How could there have possibly been any successful resolution?”
“There isn’t and never was, Garritt. It’s simply a test of character- character of command.”
“The Kobayashi Maru.” Christina giggled in delight.
“You are such a twentieth century Terran Geek, Christina Everhardt!” Charli laughed as she shook her head.
“Been there; lived it; can’t says I enjoyed it; moved on… bizarrely.” Christina laughed sarcastically.
Maj. General Christoff’s mouth dropped open as he stared at Christina and her response to Charli’s statement.
“Oh, come on, Garritt! She’s Antarra’s Goddess! She can go anywhere, anytime, anyplace she wants. If she took holiday on ancient Terra that’s her choice!””
“I understand that, Queen Norge. What I do not understand is why Goddess Christina has a surname?”
“Why wouldn’t she?”
“But… she is the Goddess!”
“And?” I cut in as my staff appeared instantly and I assumed Antarra’s version of the Goddess Nike- Sigon- a similar form to Terra’s Nike only with blue hair.
“I am Chance Summers; avatar to the goddess you call Sigon. So what is wrong about a goddess having a surname?”
“…”
“So… that’s it? Nothing more to say?” I pressed as my original form returned.
“I like you better this way, Chance. For some reason the royal hair color doesn’t compliment your face…” Christina smiled impishly, “neither do the bigger boobs. They ruin your silhouette.”
“Thanks for the honest opinion!” I groaned. “Somehow I doubt my face in that form would be considered an issue by any Antarran male!” Maybe that was the reason I didn’t feel as comfortable with the ‘Sigon’ form as I did with ‘Nike’.
“So… what now, Aunt Cora?” I asked to get our primary mission back in focus.
“I guess we get her majesty back to Norge’s Heath.”
“Norge’s Heath?” Christoff coughed in shock! “Norge’s Heath hasn’t existed for over a thousand years, Queen Norge! That is impossible!”
Gretchen Norwood’s uniform changed to her royal armor and instantly had her sword’s point to Christoff’s throat! It was a scant millimeter from contact.
“You dare disagree with her majesty, Queen Norge?” She challenged angrily!
Christoff swallowed loud and hard- that nervous action was enough to cause a drop of blood to appear.
“Garritt, I have three well known goddesses as friends and confidants, do you really think the mortal laws of physics actually stand a chance?” Aunt Cora smiled. She nodded to Gretchen, who instantly dismissed her medieval weapon.
“No. I suppose not, Queen Norge.” He answered, defeated. His hand quickly, gently wiped his neck and stared at the red stain on it in horror.
“Chance, Witch Corps. Hey guys you can all decloak. Things have been sorted out down here. Chance out.”
“Sir! Maj. General! Two large ships and ten small fighters have suddenly appeared in orbit around the H.Q. planetoid! They have us completely surrounded, sir!” A lieutenant shouted excitedly from across the control room.
“Yep, just imagine if we were pissed off.” Charli proposed to the silent, breathless, room.
“Yeah… Garritt Christoff hasn’t been having the best month, has he?” Christina deadpanned to herself. “Oh well… I’ll see you ladies onboard Pegasus. Hey Citrus! Need to hitch a ride back?”
“Okay, Christina.”
“Toodles!”
The Control Room decreased its occupancy by two.
“Everyone mount up! We have a mission to complete.” I announced then turned and walked out of the large room.
 

******


 
“So… tell me again why you wished us to come along, Chance?” Glamour Girl asked as we exited the hangar in Hope and a Pair.
“Didn’t you want the adventure?” I asked.
“A ‘lark’ perhaps, but an adventure? That was hardly an adventure, Chance. You’re show of force in protection of Queen Kitty was more of an adventure.” She answered. “This seemed more like a ‘Surprise Party’.”
I began laughing!
“What’s so funny?”
“Did you have fun, Gee-Gee?”
“My back seat was silent for a moment. We were almost back to Pegasus.
“Maybe?” She finally whispered as I was about to call for an approach vector.
I smiled a moment.
Pegasus, Pegasus1 request approach and docking vector.”
 
 

Chapter 30


 
 
As it had before, the planet on our Bridge’s large display screen instantly changed from highly industrialized to mostly agrarian.
“Alright everyone, we’re here.” I announced with a giddy smile.
I had successfully transported Pegasus and Mini-Van into the days of Antarran Yore!
At least… I hoped so.
Mini-Van, status?” I asked just to make sure. Aunt Chantell and Sandra would never let me hear the end of it if I had somehow left them behind!
So that’s what the old cow’s planet looks like in its ‘hay’day, eh?” Aunt Chantell wisecracked as usual. “Great job, honey! We didn’t feel the usual ‘shudder’ like when yer mom’s drivin’.
Aunt Cora looked ready with a witty comeback, but mom interrupted.
“Kiss my everlovin’ ass, Bee-otch!”
“Mom? Don’t make me send you home with a note for your parents to sign,” I threatened!
“Rassin’-frassin’, High-assed Priestess!” Mom hissed darkly just above a whisper.
“What was that, Helm?” I dared, smiling mischievously.
“Congratulations, High Priestess.” Mom responded sarcastically in a child’s high-pitched, singsong voice.
“Better.” I giggled while rolling my eyes.
“Is that really Antarra?” Cleo asked in awe of what she had just seen.
“Yep,” I answered, “Medieval Antarra, circa three thousand years from our starting point- hopefully New Age 987.”
“Chance, Corps. Ladies, a short briefing will be conducted up in the lounge in five.” I added, activating my Comm.
“Briefing, High Priestess?” Sohn questioned curiously.
“All in good time, Gee-Gee,” I winked as I motioned our reporters to follow me off the Bridge.
 

******


 
“So… that was Nike’s version of time travel. Everyone okay?” I started after everyone had either popped in or arrived off the elevator.
“Look at that! I just saw some grass grow down on the planet!” Mom complained in answer.
“Really not in the mood, mother.” I warned as I seriously thought about transporting her down to Norge’s Heath this instant! Maybe even naked!
Naah. She’d probably enjoy that.
“Queen Colleen will now update our newly attending members on what to expect in Norge’s Heath.” I continued as I glared at my mother intensely.
“Thank you, Chance. Ladies and gentlemen, the period we are now in lays claim to several differences from ‘modern life’ as we know it. First and foremost… the privies are completely au natural with not even a Western Auto, Montgomery Ward, or Sears catalog to be had, therefore, all modern personal hygiene products must- MUST- be disposed of magically. And discretely, I might add- which leads us to item two.” She paused.
“Two: My people know of, and respect ‘witches’- mostly as fierce, professional, and highly skilled warriors. They have no idea why or how we use ‘Current’ to do what we do. Third: Antarrans and Lynxins won’t officially meet for sixteen hundred years. Once in disguise, you girls should stay that way out in public. I’d also recommend caution while inside the Keep. Only a few of the servants know who we really are.” Colleen paused again as she motioned around at our Lynxin representatives.
“And for God’s sake no hanky-panky with those tails!” She said sternly then paused again.
“Lastly… try not to look too awkward, disgusted, overwhelmed, or out of place down there. While people of this time know of magic, most simply can’t fathom time travel let alone travelers from the distant future. Any overheard reference to the thirty-third century will be met with skepticism, laughter, questions, or concerns for your sanity. These are simple people- mostly- basically relying on their queen and nobles to guide them through life and protect them. I’m trying to lead them toward ‘freer’ thinking, more arts; more sciences… everything we all know need to happen to ensure Antarra survives. Chance?”
“Cleo and Sohn,” I pointed to the two, “before we leave the ship, you two need a disguise. As Colleen said, the indigenous people have no idea what a Lynxin is- nor might they react well on seeing one. As you know, Antarrans look more like Terrans, so… You want to try disguising yourselves or would you like Christina or I to do it? Know that if either of us do it you may not be able to revert back on your own. What will it be? Oh, while I’m at it, Lilith, sweetie? You might want to change your hair color. Brown with a couple strands of blue should do it… and I’d recommend staying close to your mom. Ancient Antarrans could possibly overload your overdeveloped telepathy and empathy.”
 
“Good idea, Chance, the blue streaks will keep them all safer if out and about.” Colleen appraised our two reporters while Aunt Cora, Simone, Christina, and Link nodded their approval. “They will need to be on the watch for thieves and kidnappers wishing to ransom the throne though.”
Sohn and Cleo seemed subtly concerned by her statement.
“If threatened, you two should conjure your wands and I can almost guarantee your attackers would retreat quickly or risk… well, we’ll leave the options up to them, right girls?” I advised with a giggle.
 

******


 
Cleo turned her head side to side as she gazed into the mirror she had successfully conjured. “I just can’t believe this is how I would look as a Terra… ummm… as an Antarran!”
“I can’t get over the fact that we look so similar- almost like twins.” Sohn added as she continued to stare at her niece in amazement.
“Older,” I pointed to Sohn. “Younger… by a year and a half,” I pointed to Cleo, “Sisters.”
“Are we ready?” I asked with a big smile.
Smiles filled the lounge- except maybe two… well, four transformed Lynxins. Sonya and Kimbou remained quiet and less confident alongside Cleo and Sohn.
“Sandra, you and Chantell have Mini-Van. Charli will send you the coordinates for our secured LZ.
Both women nodded.
“JWC, with me! Prepare for departure.” Sandra ordered before she and little Lilith popped out, while Chantell took the remaining Andersons to the elevator.
“Chance?” Kimbou attempted to get my attention, but his voice sounding like PM Tau’s had me looking for the original Lynxin. “Are you sure this masquerade will succeed? Sonya and I cannot possibly replace Prime Minister Tau or Her Majesty.”
“Don’t sweat it. You two sound just like them… and with luck, your mannerisms,” I glared at Sonya intensely, “will also hold true.”
“Look, just follow the lead of Lyra and Greer. If you start feeling the disguises aren’t working, they should suggest the proper modifications. Okay?” I added nodding to Lyra and Greer with a confident smile.
Kimbou nodded and took a step back. He wasn’t going to have any trouble holding the illusion of the PM. And… if Sonya didn’t get too crazy, she was also a shoe-in for Kitty.
Chance, Mini-Van is requesting permission to detach and a departure vector.” Christina alerted over Comms.
I hadn’t seen her pop out.
“Stations everybody!” I clapped a few times.
 

******


 
“Snow shoes deployed, Chance, we’re five meters and closing…three meters…Pegasus is down, High Priestess.”
“Good job, mom.” I commended. “Charli, send Mini-Van our coordinates and approach vector.”
Doing it as we speak, Chance.
“Did anyone see or hear us, dear?” I asked Grunfuller.
“No one within three point two kilometers according to sensors, Chance.”
“Good. Hopefully the people of Norge’s Heath or Norge’s Mill didn’t hear the sonic booms.” I looked to mother accusingly.
“Ya know what, Summers…?”
“No, what, Hope Summers?” I quickly interrupted. A bluish glow reflected off my station console.
“No-nothing, High Priestess.” Mom backed down instantly.
“You have to understand that Hope Summers has been this way for fifteen hundred years, girls.” Aunt Cora explained shamelessly to Cleo and Sohn. “Chantell Denison is a veeeery close second. Neither one will ever change.”
“It’s like a carnival.” Cleo laughed while shaking her head. “How do you ever get things done?”
“We’re only sometimes… well, mostly… like this before and after a mission starts in earnest. I guess in a way, it eases the tension?” Charli answered as she exited the Navigation station.
“We aren’t sure from one mission to the next how many fatalities- either collateral or from actual enemies will occur. Ideally, we’d like to see no fatalities, but…” Charli let her explanation drop.
“I see,” Cleo nodded sadly, “But, on a peaceful, humanitarian mission such as this…”
“First we had to defend Norge’s Heath from a coup perpetrated by the ruling Regent. He had amassed a huge invasion force to take over his own people so he could dispel the predicted arrival of the true ruler of Norge’s Heath and the surrounding vicinity.” I explained.
“Their losses were quite extensive… in the thousands.” Aunt Cora added sadly. “We tried to limit the death where we could.”
“How many soldiers from Norge’s Heath?” Sohn asked.
“One hundred of my guardsmen flanked the invaders on Queen Colleen’s orders while the eleven ladies of this Corps took on the forward onslaught, my ladies.” Christian Norwood answered solemnly.
Our reporters’ eyes almost popped out of their heads!
“Elev… eleven of you bested thousands?” Sohn choked in shock. “How?”
“I hope that we never have to do that again, sisters.” I said as I looked down in sadness of the carnage that we’d brought to that usually peaceful meadow that day. “The bloodshed… It had been very disturbing, but,” I tried to reason, “the military tries to train and callus you…”
…still, I expected to have nightmares of the battle for centuries to come.
“I’m pretty sure you know exactly how we did it, Sohn. You’ve seen us in action on the Mall in Capital. We weren’t trying to hurt anyone there though.”
“Chance is right, gals. We got no problems beating them dirty Hoblins. Poorly equipped mortals never stood no chance with us.” Kate bragged.
“Kate! We are just as ‘mortal’! Never forget that!” I chided.
“Aye, boss, yer right. Sorry.”
“You sound like the ancient ‘Valkyrie’ I read about from Terran myth, Lady Kate!”
“We have been called that on many occasions.” Dell offered calmly in reply.
“Perhaps we better prepare for Mini-Van’s landing?” I hinted to redirect the topic.
“Sandra says they’ll be landing in a minute or so, Chance, Garrith is at the Helm. This will be her first solo landing.” Dell relayed. She seemed pleased that another of the Andersons were getting some ‘stick’ time.
“Looks like another Anderson is ready to graduate, Chance.” She continued as we watched the smooth, graceful, simulated approach and touchdown of Mini-Van sixty meters to our port side.
“Christina? Would you do the honors and place your protective shield around both Pegasus and Mini-Van?”
Our forward display immediately indicated the requested shield was in place.
I nodded to her.
“Let’s go. From here, Norge’s Heath is a ten kilometer walk; Norge’s Mill, two and a half to the cutoff then another kilometer to the south.” I said as I looked around the Bridge, stopping at Aquia and Thomas with a nod.
Thomas had asked if he thought it acceptable for Aquia to meet his sister and widowed mother who still operated the family’s grains mill.
 

******


 
“My queen, Lady Aquia and I shall arrive at the Keep in two week’s time. Hopefully, I can persuade Mother into accepting your invitation.” Thomas bid goodbye after reaching the fork to Norge’s Mill.
“Take this and read it for her, Sir Thomas, but do not open it until you have introduced Lady Aquia to her.” Colleen said as she manifested and handed him a wax-sealed parchment scroll.
“Thank you, my queen!” He said as he and Aquia set off hand-in-hand on the path to Norge’s Mill.
“They make an excellent couple.” Sonya observed as the two topped then disappeared behind the first rise in the road.
“But won’t Aquia be bored here? The technology of flight has not been discovered here yet,” Little Lilith worried, “and we all know how she likes the freedom to soar.”
Christina appeared, walking backwards a meter or two ahead of us.
“I wouldn’t worry, little one. Aquia and her Thomas will be living in our century… in fact… they will speak their intentions in Aunt Cora’s Mansion! We will all be there to wish them well.”
Lilith smiled brightly.
Christina leaned in closer to the young teen.
“I even hear tell that she will ask you to attend her at the vows! Isn’t that great?”
I think every living thing within several hundred kilometers now had a headache from her telepathic squeal!
 

******


 
We entered the first village to the sounds of construction. Hammer blows echoed from every direction along with voices of both orders and conversation.
Off to our left, what had been a small saloon with a few rentable rooms above it was being repaired and apparently expanded.
“Ready for the next timber!” a man requested- his back turned from the pile of supplies. There was no one around to hear him.
“Need some help there, sir?” I asked after I looked around for any other available carpenters.
“No thank you, yer ladyship, my guys will eventually get around to it. Thanks for the offer though I’d hate for you to hurt yourself. These timbers aren’t the lightest of things. Oh! Queen Norge! I…”
“Stay your place, sir carpenter! I wish not for you to fall and injury yourself!” Colleen rushed her command.
“It won’t be a problem, sir. I’m stronger than I look. I insist.” I reassured the builder. “Which one you want?”
“That one,” he pointed questioningly to about a five meter, twenty-seven centimeter square timber.
“This one?” I asked pointing out my guess as to which one.
He nodded.
Picking it up easily and carrying it over below him, I asked, “Where do you want it?”
The man didn’t answer immediately but sat on the recently erected framework staring with his mouth agape!
“How can you do that?” He finally asked, flabbergasted as I continued holding and waiting for a location for the timber.
“Ummmm… place it here for now.” He motioned and I placed one end on the post he pointed out. “The other end goes on that post, but I’ll get my guys to lift it into position.”
“Told you I was stronger than I looked.” I smiled. “Wait, I know something that will help, I added as I held the timber in just my left hand and manifested my wand in my right.
Without saying anything else, I levitated the heavy beam up and onto the appropriate column.
“Anything else?” I asked with a big grin.
He waved his hand slowly in the negative- his mouth unmoving and eyes as wide as saucers!
“Okay. Bye for now.” I giggled.
“I think you just made that guy’s day, Chance.” Louis chuckled.
“More like made his life, I should think!” Gretchen giggled.
“I’m just glad I could help.” I said as I motioned for us to keep going.
“You just can’t help yourself, can you, Chance?” Colleen asked with a quirky smile.
“And that is what I cautioned her about nine years prior, Majesty. She… all of Witch Corps for that matter- even though chartered as Special Operations and ‘Above Top Secret’, excel at flamboyant displays of … talent, while on missions.” Kimbou added. “As result, Witch Corps is the most famous and… recognizable… Black Ops unit in the Way! Completely counterproductive by definition!”
“I prefer to think of us as ‘an enigma’, Kimbou.” I giggled.
Our Tau doppelganger snorted as he pulled his hand down his face.
“If only it were so simple, my lady!”
“Okay then… a conundrum wrapped in an enigma surrounded by a paradox. How’s that?” I snarked.
“Better, but somehow that still pales in explaining this unit.”
 
 

Chapter 31


 
 
“Queen Colleen, thank you for agreeing to see us.” Thomas greeted as he, his mother, his sister, and Aquia were escorted into the much smaller, ‘post-Regent’ Throne room.
“Welcome to you as well, young Thomas. Has he been treating you well, Lady Aquia?” I returned the greeting.
“Extremely well, Majesty, yes.” My Coven sister answered with a bright, positive smile.
Thomas’s mother and sister just looked terrified.
“My ladies? Do you have names that I might use to cordially converse and interact with you? I fear that in all my interactions with Thomas, he never once revealed your names.”
Thomas seemed to react to the awkward situation I placed him in and I smiled pleasantly.
“Queen Colleen, might I introduce my mother, Teresa, and my younger sister, Sara.”
I stood from my seat and stepped down to the main floor of the room.
“Hi! Colleen Everhardt-Norge. What can I do for you?” I introduced as I held out my hand in friendship.
Quickly, mother and daughter were kneeling on the floor with their heads down.
“Kids? Wanna explain how we do things around here to your mom and sister, please?” I asked of Thomas and Aquia.
“Mother. Sara. Please do not do this. Queen Colleen is nothing like the Regent. In fact, she is completely opposite in character.” Thomas pleaded.
“We must show respect and reverence toward our queen, Thomas. You would do well to kneel before her as well.”
“I see. What if I commanded you to rise and talk to me as equals and not commoner to royal, Teresa?” I posited.
“It would still be unwise and punishable, Majesty.” Thomas’s mom replied- her voice reflecting off the floor.
“Get up you silly women and stand before me! Let me be the judge of what constitutes unwise and punishable!” I commanded irately.
Slowly the two women rose to standing, but still refused to make eye contact.
“Has Thomas not read you my letter, dear woman?” I asked as I regarded both.
“He has, but I don’t understand, Majesty. Why have we been singled out? What have we done to secure your audience?” Thomas’s mother pleaded, almost cried- as if she and Sara were to be placed in the stocks on the Common.
“Hmm, I take it Thomas has introduced you both to Aquia Anderson, Mrs. ‘Miller’?”
“He has, Queen Colleen, and I have come to think of her as my older sister,” Sara ‘Miller’ answered in her mother’s place.
“And has he also mentioned that Lady Aquia is one of my Valkyrie? That she is one of those instrumental in defeating the invaders hell-bent on capturing Norge’s Heath four months ago?”
Teresa Miller’s, as well as Sara’s, mouth dropped open. How they were able to gasp, I had no idea. Obviously that information hadn’t been shared.
“Thomas Miller! I’m surprised by you! I thought someone with the courage to spy and inform me of the enemy’s whereabouts and movements during the siege would have the courage to tell his own mother of his fiancé’s occupation!”
“That was my choice, my queen.” Aquia said as she stepped forward. “I urged him to hold certain facts about me or risk damaging Thomas’s maternal relationship.”
“Possibly a wise decision, Lady Aquia, but potential relatives must always be kept informed- trusted- especially if you might be recalled or reassigned at some point in the future.”
“What say you to that, Teresa Miller?”
“I know not, majesty. I am just a commoner and not worthy of a sirename so why call me ‘Miller’?
“Do you not run a grain mill to the south in Norge’s Mill?” I asked temperately.
“We do, majesty. Sara and I of late since Thomas has been in your service these last several months.
“Then you are a ‘Miller’ are you not? A Miller denotes someone who operates a mill? Or is my speech confusing?”
“I cannot argue, Queen Colleen. Whatever your will, is acceptable.”
“No, that is not the way this works, Mrs. Miller. The way civil communication works is: You greet me with the respect my office requires then I greet you in kind, then we talk as two regular people should- cordially. If we were discussing business then the conversation would be somewhat more formal. Do you understand?”
“I do, majesty.”
“Then look at me when I’m talking to you and quit being so submissive, Teresa Miller! You too, Sara Miller! I am not the vanquished Regent, and I would hope someone has the courage to let me know if I start behaving that insanely! Do I make myself clear, Lady Teresa?”
“Majesty?” Thomas’ mother lifted her head in surprise and looked- confused- at me.
“If declaring you part of my court allows us to speak freely then so be it, Lady Teresa. Lady Sara; your thoughts?”
“But, Majesty-?” Sara gasped.
I looked around the chamber conspiratorially.
“Sara? Teresa? I see no ‘Commoner’ in the room at the moment. Call me Colleen.” I whispered with a devious grin.
Sara giggled lightly.
“Aquia? Sister, do you think these two will now act like normal people?” I winked.
“Alas, Colleen, I was thinking ‘tickling’ was the next mandatory action had this course not gotten them to see reason.” Aquia laughed.
“I hadn’t thought about that! Thank you, sister. I had actually considered bringing Louis out and entertaining them with bad ‘dad’ jokes until they yielded.”
“Talk about cruel and unusual punishment, Colleen! Why would you even consider such barbaric torture?”
Teresa and Sara must’ve thought we were crazy… or just very eccentric.
“Majes-,” Teresa began, but I interrupted by clearing my throat.
“Col-l-l-leen, why do you mock us? Are we not proper servants to you?”
“As Thomas stated months ago, Colleen: Real ‘hardcases’.” Aquia giggled.
“I see, Aquia; Antarran stubbornness truly manifests in various ways.” I nodded as I stepped closer to both Millers. “And not always with blue hair!”
“Now.” I said heatedly as I placed a hand to both women’s shoulders, “I want you both to forego the damned regal bullshit now or I will invent some new punishment to make you both laugh and loosen up! All I wanted to do was meet the family of this courageous young man and congratulate his mother for raising such a fine son. Now, can we agree to talk as two devoted mothers instead of ‘Commoner’ and ‘Queen’?”
Teresa swallowed loudly and nodded.
“Yes, Colleen, and thank you for the compliment. I am very happy Thomas has served his queen to his best and hope that service continues toward the future.”
I looked to the ceiling. “Ah! Finally!”
A bluish- white light from behind me set the large room aglow.
“I thought I taught you to knock before entering a room, Christina?” I said without even looking. Both the Millers were suddenly gone from my vision. Both had hit the floor on their knees again.
A melodic sequence of door chimes echoed pleasantly through my throne room.
Of course I rolled my eyes.
“Better? I also wanted to congratulate Mrs. and Miss Miller, mom. Thomas has been detrimental to your regaining your birthright and deserves recognition.”
“Once again, my daughter you have jumped the gun and arrived slightly early.”
“The Go-o-o-odess? Is your dau-daughter?” Sara gulped.
“Yes, and before you ask, it’s complicated. But I’m very proud of her- as you should be of Thomas, Teresa.”
“Hey. Love the dress, Sara. Who’s the designer?” Christina asked happily…I guess to break the ice.
“G-g-goddess?”
“Who made your dress, Lady Sara?” She reiterated.
“I-IIIII did, Goddess?”
My daughter nodded.
“Here,” Christina conjured and handed Sara a tailor’s string, quill, ink, and parchment. “I humbly request you make one for me? Here are the tools for which to take my proportions.” Sara’s mouth dropped open again.
“You want me… to make a dress… for you, Goddess?”
“Is that a problem, Lady Sara?”
Thomas’ sister barely shook her head as reply.
“Good. You may begin.” My daughter smiled and waited for the girl to move.
“Thomas, please assist your sister by scribing the Goddess’ measurements. Teresa? Aquia? Let us adjourn to my office and give them privacy.” I said as I motioned both off to my right.
 

******


 
“So? What do you think of this young woman, Teresa?” I asked, motioning to Aquia just after shutting my office chamber’s door.
“Colleen!” Aquia protested.
“Colleen? I don’t understand.”
“What are your thoughts concerning Aquia?” I refined while Aquia glared embarrassed lightning bolts at me. I was glad it was just the expression that manifested.
Teresa looked between the two of us a moment.
“Since her arrival and introduction, she has insisted on helping us at the mill. She is exceptionally strong for her build and has insisted on assisting the changing of our millstones. Aquia is also very proficient with the mechanical workings of the mill.”
“So she has proven a valuable employee… I see. Anything else of note?” I asked raising an eyebrow- hopefully to prompt her for a more personal opinion.
“Thomas seems to enjoy her company. He appears ‘happier’ since meeting her.”
I nodded. “Such a clinical report, Teresa. I, however, am more interested with your maternal assessment of Aquia.”
“I like her, Colleen. She seems to complete Thomas and I can imagine children in their close future.”
“Mrs. Miller!” Aquia gasped, her eyes wide, and blushing a bright crimson.
“So… you would accept Aquia as a daughter… should both decide to proclaim their intentions?” I narrowed my eyes, despite Aquia staring daggers at me.
“Very much so, Colleen! Aquia has impressed me and in the short time she has been with us, has grown on both Sara and I. I consider her part of our family.”
Aquia sniffed a few times before vanishing. Teresa stood unmoving and completely pale!
“What did you do to her, Majesty?! Did my answer displease you?”
“Lady Teresa! Every Valkyrie has a mind of her own! Aquia was just overcome with emotion- happy emotion. I believe her to have retreated so she will not make a scene of crying before her queen and future mate’s mother.”
“So you agree they make an adorable couple?”
“I have irrefutable proof of that, Teresa!” I smiled brightly and gave the woman a wink.
“So where did she disappear to, Colleen?”
“My guess would be to her broom, Teresa.” I answered truthfully.
“Her… broom?” Teresa looked at me with disbelief.
“It’s a very complicated story. Our ‘brooms’ are complicated ‘machines’ that we pilot… um… drive… like wagons, but through the sky, so that we can protect the people of Antarra easier. As I said: very complicated.”
Teresa narrowed her eyes a moment. “These ‘Mechanical Brooms’… were they used to defeat the invading forces of Lord Christophe?”
“Not a one, Teresa. We- my Valkyrie and I- the twelve of us, as well as the brave, mounted Knights of Norge’s Heath met on an honorable field of battle using only hand to hand, arrow, blade, and spear. Use of our brooms would have been dishonorable and vastly unfair.”
“You speak of these Brooms as if they held the power of the Goddess Christina in each and every one… however many they should be.”
I remained quiet for an uncomfortably long moment as I debated how to tell this woman that each Broom could probably destroy this planet.
“I see. Being the Goddess’ mother you have powers all your own. Might I be permitted to gaze upon one of these ‘brooms’ without my soul being lost or cursed?”
A knock on my office door signaled a visitor.
“Come.”
“My queen, pardon this interruption. Pegasus has just informed me that ‘Surf’s Up’ has requested and been given permission to launch. The filed flight plan lists the Keep as one of its destinations.”
“Thank you, Galantry. I expected as much.” I nodded.
“Colleen? Is Aquia okay?”
“Alert the Lookouts and Guards to clear the Keep’s Atrium; to expect strange windstorms and other strange occurrences.”
Galantry nodded and left, closing the door softly.
“Do you trust me, Teresa?” I asked my visitor.
“Shouldn’t I, Colleen?” She was quick to answer.
“I want to make sure you feel comfortable, Teresa. What I’m about to reveal about myself may not sit well in some social circles and I do not want to frighten you.”
“Colleen, my son’s interest just vanished before my eyes. I hardly think you can do anything worse.”
I smiled and both of us were standing just outside in the Keep’s Atrium. Sobbing immediately erupted beside me as Thomas’ mother broke into terrified tears.
“Yes, Teresa, I am a Valkyrie also- a ‘witch’ in the common tongue.” I said as I observed her for signs of life.
 
 

Chapter 32


 
 
“Teresa, we need to step back and give Surf’s Up room to land.” I nudged strongly as the winds within the Keep’s open center garden began to pick up.
“Hooooooowwww big…is… is this ‘broom’?” She stuttered in terror.
“Don’t worry,” I reassured, “Aquia is a very competent pilot.”
Teresa stared at me as if she had just met one of the Arachnoid ‘Subspecies’ that Christina had told me about.
“But this garden has to be twenty strides sq-!” Teresa questioned just as the whirlwinds really strengthened.
As quickly as it had started, the violent windstorm ceased and the barren, unkempt ‘green space’ in the hollow center of the Keep went eerily silent.
Aquia’s head suddenly appeared about ten feet above the naked, dry soil. I thought Teresa would crumble, but she instead steadied herself on my shoulder.
She was shaking violently.
Aquia floated out of her cockpit and gracefully landed on the vacant ground then casually walked over to us, though she seemed apprehensive.
“I see Pegasus alerted Galantry, majesty?”
“She is acting Duty Officer today.” I nodded politely, closing my eyes momentarily.
“Lady Teresa, I now ask that you trust me. If you truly think of me as a daughter, I feel all that I am must be revealed. I wish to hold no secrets in our possible relationship, nor do I wish any harm.” Aquia carefully said as she stopped in front of the terrified, trembling woman desperately supporting herself on my shoulder.
“I-I-I find all of what I have seen in the last hour less than believable, Lady Aquia, Queen Colleen. Might we continue this imagining and hope for a quick ending that does not have me ridden of my faculties?” Teresa gulped and presented her free hand to my Coven sister.
Christina and Chance were suddenly standing to my free side.
“Lady Aquia,” Chance asked, “is this completely necessary? I understand that you want complete disclosure between you and Lady Teresa Miller, but it could be just a little too much for her to grasp all at once.”
“I understand the risks, High Priestess, but I also feel she is strong-willed enough and needs to know ‘who’ and ‘what’ I am; also ‘why’ I might be taking Thomas away from her for long periods of time.” Aquia explained as she gently took Teresa’s hand and began slowly guiding her back to a still invisible Surf’s Up.
With an uncontrollable shriek from the older woman, Aquia and Teresa began to float off the ground and began to disappear as Aquia got her future Mother-in-law seated and buckled into her second seat.
A few minutes later both vanished from sight as Aquia closed Surf’s Up’s canopy.
“Holy abduction, High Priestess! Will we ever see Ladies Aquia and Teresa set foot on Antarra-firma again?” Christina vamped with a huge grin.
“Excuse me, Goddess Christina? Have you seen momma? The guards suggested she and Her Majesty were out here?” Sara Miller asked as she exited the Keep’s Atrium door.
Just then the violent windstorm began again and Sara gasped in fear as our attention was drawn to the strange occurrence.
“Where did that harsh wind come from?” Sara inquired as she shaded her face from the wind, dust, and debris being kicked up.
“Chance, Surf’s Up. Please toggle your camo field a moment.” Chance said over her comm.
Surf’s Up, in all her chrome-skinned splendor, appeared for a brief enough moment to elicit gasps from those around us. Christina held Sara firmly upright until she regained consciousness.
“Goddess? What was that? What manner of material could reflect the sun’s brightness and not be glass?” Sara asked, confused after regaining consciousness.
“It is a metal similar to that which makes a sword or dagger.” Chance answered sagely.
“But it was flying, Lady Chance!”
“We call them our ‘Brooms’, Lady Sara. They allow us to protect this entire planet in short order. Aquia’s Broom is named Surf’s Up.”
“She named her broom?”
“It’s a long, wondrous story that I’ll let Aquia tell. I believe you are also scheduled for a ride in Surf’s Up.”
“I am? Why?”
“Because Aquia wishes for no secrets to remain between you, your mother, and her… or us.” I answered somewhat cryptically.
Ten or so minutes later the whirlwinds kicked back up and as before quieted a moment later. Aquia and Teresa’s head appeared hanging in the air. Aquia wasted no time in floating up, turning, and reaching in towards Sara’s mother. Both then floated up to completely reappear and then floated to the ground.
Teresa looked worse for wear as her feet touched the dusty ground and wobbled a few times- Aquia fully supporting her until she regained her footing.
Sara ran toward her mother.
“Momma! Momma, are you alright?”
“Mother is just shaken from her first ride in Surf’s Up, Sara. If you wish it, I offer the same rare experience. Hopefully though, you will fare better when your feet again touch the ground?” Aquia answered.
“It is quite humbling, Sara. Although terrifying for this old body of mine, it is quite wondrous… far beyond anything one could ever dream. I assure you I am not hurt, and you should accept your sister’s amazing offer.” Teresa said after composing herself to where she could stand on her own.
“Sister? I offer you a ride of a lifetime.” Aquia smiled and gently held out her hand to her.
After a few minutes the harsh winds started up again.
 

******


 
“Majesty? Queen Colleen? May I approach?” Sara Miller knocked on the doorframe to my office.
I looked up from the few parchments lying before me for evaluation and smiled to the teen.
“Enjoy your Broom ride, pumpkin?”
Her eyes got all dreamy. I swear I could see the stars shining in them!
“Oh yes, Colleen! I could never have imagined something so amazing… so exciting! I still feel it was all a dream.”
“I felt the same way when my Christina first took me aboard Pegasus on her arrival at my old home.”
Pegasus?” Sara repeated. “Is that the name of the Goddess’ Broom?”
“It is our High Priestess’ base ship, pumpkin. With it they travel the heavens providing protection to peoples in severe need.”
“You all travel the heavens? Like how the Goddess does?”
Aquia and Sara had been gone for over an hour and I found myself wondering where they had gone in that time; knowing the velocity the Brooms could achieve.
“We witches aren’t as powerful as Christina, pumpkin, but we do try to keep the peace and do her good works.” I answered truthfully.
She nodded in acceptance.
“Do you think Thomas will voice his intentions to her, Colleen?” She asked to change the subject.
“If he hasn’t already, I expect soon. Why?”
“I like her, majesty. Aquia has already gained my heart. She is the big sister I never had.”
I began to giggle. A broad smile filled my face as I began to laugh.
“I think Aquia will make Thomas very happy, and like-wise, Thomas will make Aquia very happy too, Sara.”
 
 

Chapter 33


 
 
“Must you go so soon, girls?” Colleen again tried to get us to stay longer. It had been another two months of medieval life, portraits, galas, and… the politics. Yuk! Politics!
We had traveled by royal carriages and were standing just into the large meadow where Pegasus remained cloaked.
“Sorry, Colleen, you’ve used that question one too many times. We have to get back to base in case the Way decides to throw something worse than Hoblins at us. I’m sure Christina will be back for frequent visits, and I suspect she too has a lot of work to do here.” I shook my head and smiled pensively.
“It was worth the try.” She grinned back. “Louis and I are gonna miss you guys.”
“Relax! We’ll all get together for Sinae’s baby shower- and don’t forget you’re all invited to the Royal Mansion.” I hinted as I extended my senses for Aquia and Thomas. I expected Surf’s Up to arrive at any moment. The plan was for Aquia to land beside Pegasus for proper goodbyes.
Though it wouldn’t do any good, Teresa and Sara Miller continued to scan the sky for our sister’s broom.
“Chance, Water Lily. ETA.” I activated my comm.
Starting landing translation now, Chance.
“Understood.” I answered.
“Water Lily?” Teresa seemed confused.
“Aquia’s ‘Call sign’. It’s an age-old tradition where we come from.”
“Oh. That’s a very pretty sounding…um… ‘Call sign’? What’s a ‘water lily’?”
“Umm… It’s a flower found on a planet we visited, that grows in water- huge green leaves that look like a pad floating on the water… white, multi-petal...”
“Our ‘Floating Nymph Bloom’: ‘Nyphae-Aquius’, Sugar Plum,” Aunt Cora interrupted with Antarra’s name for the flower.
Teresa nodded her understanding of the common name, but tilted her head slightly as she recognized some of the Antarran cousin’s technical name. Did she catch the coincidence there?
Being farther away from the LZ, the wind from Surf’s Up’s maneuvering emitters was a barely noticeable breeze. Aquia and Thomas soon appeared and floated to the ground.
While Aquia, Thomas, Teresa, and Sara said their goodbyes, Gretchen and Christian Norwood began their farewells to the rest of us.
“I’ll miss all of you, Chance Summers!” Gretchen hugged me tightly.
“Like I said, we’ll get together soon enough. Pegasus? Come out come out, wherever you are.” I called sweetly.
Our large, proud, gleaming chrome spacecraft materialized ten meters in front of us.
For a change, nobody lost consciousness!
I looked at the Millers curiously.
Sara noticed my attention.
“Aquia showed both mother and I what she called ‘Mini-Van’ while ‘orbiting’ our home.”
“She also told us that Pegasus was much larger.” Teresa added. That information hadn’t eased her trembling though. “Still… the size… it is very overwhelming that something so much larger than a bird can fly.”
A bright white orb of light burst into existence off to our left.
“Please excuse the interruption, High Priestess.” Christina said as the orb faded and she walked out of what remained toward us.
“Problems, Lt. Everhardt?” I asked.
“Yes, but first…” She pointed to Teresa and then Sara, “You and you. Stand up. You both are one of us and you both know I don’t go in for the worship stuff.”
Wait… what? They were one of us?
“Christinaaaaaa?” I growled in displeasure. “I thought we were going to go easy on the ‘activations’?”
“It was unavoidable, High Priestess. Our future trek to Aunt Cora’s Mansion will require their participation.”
I nodded then looked over to our two embedded reporters. “That information should be redacted from any article you two have pending.” I mentioned matter-of-factly. “Christina and/or Savanna’s predictions should never be included in any story. Trade secrets you understand.”
“Understood, Chance.” Sohn nodded. “We’ve kind of accepted what we can and cannot publish. Not that the public would even believe half of what we’ve seen so far.”
Cleo groaned in agreement as she purposely flattened the pleats of her ‘period’ dress. “It will just feel so good to be free of my disguise.”
“So, Sweetie? The problem?” Louis prompted to reassert the reason for her flamboyant arrival and visit.
“Oh… yeah… so… Captain Serangetti and all currently ‘away’ crewmembers have been recalled. Mare De Tempest has received orders and is being ordered to the Upsilon System after taking on humanitarian aid supplies. Severe tectonic disruptions on three of the eight continents have really screwed-up their infrastructure- transportation, utilities, sanitation...”
“Has Witch Corps also been requested?”
“Chairman Englert is considering that action at this very moment, High Priestess.” Christina answered with a solemn nod. “Jamie has also expressed her interest to rejoin the Coven for the mission.”
“Well, that’s our cue to hit the road, girls!” I raised my voice. “Colleen? You and Louis take care now, and we’ll see each other again soon.”
Another round of ‘hugs and kisses’ ensued before we were actually free to board Pegasus. Christina hadn’t disappeared and was standing with her mother and father along with the Norwoods and the Millers close to the tree line.
Colleen, Louis, Gretchen, Christian, Teresa, Sara, and Christina waved as we gently gained altitude. Aquia and Thomas had floated into Surf’s Up’s cockpit and were waiting their turn to takeoff.
“X plus three hundred meters.” Mom alerted before space instantly filled our view screen.
I covered my eyes with my hand and shook my head back and forth a few times in defeat.
“Dell? Alert Mini-Van we’re enroute for link-up after Aquia and Thomas dock; if mom will slow down enough to actually allow that.”
 
 
recorded and filed by:EFMC Cmdr. Chance Summers (MID 3533320972109)

End of
 
FOR EYES ONLY
 
Mission Report
 
 
?


 
 


 
Author's Note: Thanks and much appreciation to all readers and commentors of the Summer's Current Series. I sincerely hope everyone enjoyed Chance and company's adventures through the universe of the 33rd Standard Century and its past. On behalf of the Coven, thanks for reading.
 
R.G. Beyer

up
85 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

loved the story and series,

loved the story and series, sad to see it end but as the saying goes all good things must come to an end. not sure I agree with that.
one little oops I noticed when you said "Thomas was detrimental to you regaining your birthright" I think you meant Instrumental.
sorry didn't know how to send a personal message.
Thanks for the story.

Oh, What Fun

terrynaut's picture

Thanks for the fun romp through time and space. I enjoyed this latest story and the series as a whole.

Thanks and kudos (number 61).

- Terry