Native Life Chp. 9

Printer-friendly version

The next day, Amy watches as the people at their camp wake up and move around. Cora informed Amy that she was going to see if she could get help from the council to help protect and take care of the immigrants at their camp. Cora said she might be gone for a few days.

Amy helps some women in the group fix something to eat for everyone. The men went out and collected firewood for the camp. Some of them weren’t sure what they were going to do. They had hoped to come to America to make a better life for themselves and send money back home to their family.

Amy leaves to patrol the border a little further out. As she is patrolling, she comes under fire. She takes shelter behind some boulders and peeks her head out to see who was shooting at her. A bullet hits the boulder near her head, as she ducks back around.

Whoever was firing at her was doing it from a distance. She changes into her wolf form and darts out from her hiding place. A bullet barely misses her as it hits the ground right behind her. She uses a trick her father taught her to blend in with her surroundings. It would make it harder for whoever was shooting at her to hit her.

Harry was hired by Mark to track down two women and permanently get rid of them. They were allowing illegal immigrants across the border and protecting them. Mark had given him a dossier on both women and what they were capable of. He had studied the dossier and decided to go out and see if he couldn’t find them.

He was lucky that he spotted the shape changer first. He spots a wolf sprint out from behind the boulder the woman had taken cover behind. He knew it was her from the dossier that Mark gave him. He fires at the wolf again and misses. As he goes to fire again, the wolf disappears from his sight.

He scans the area looking for the wolf but doesn’t see it. He stays where he is, hoping it will stick its head out. He spots some dirt move and fires at the spot. He hears his bullet ricochet off the ground and hit a nearby rock.

Amy felt the bullet as it bounced off the ground and hit right behind her. It had skimmed her flesh on her left rear quarter. She wanted to growl, but her father told her never to let her prey know you were coming for them.

She manages to sneak to the shooter’s position and notices he is laid out like a sniper. She changes forms and picks up a nearby rock without making a sound. She brings the rock down hard on top of the guy’s head.

“Take that, you bastard!” She brings the rock down again and again until the man’s head is smashed.

She drops the rock nearby and starts searching his body. She finds his cell phone and uses his finger to unlock the damn thing. She scrolls through it and finds the dossier he received from the Creative Alliance. She gathers everything she finds on his body up and puts it in the back he had been wearing along with the camel pack as well.

She collects his weapons and what other gear he has and heads back to camp. He deserved what he got by coming after her.

Native American Council:
Cora looks at the gathered leaders of the different tribes that inhabit the land on the reservation. She looks at Chief George Running Rabbit.
“Gentlemen, I come to you today to ask for volunteers and support you can provide on your border. These last few days, I and my companion have been preventing the government and a hate group from hurting the illegal immigrants that have been coming onto reservation land. It has now gotten to the point that just the two of us can’t protect and care for these people. We need your help to continue our work.” Cora looks at all the Chiefs as they look at her.

“You know you brought this onto yourself, Cora Black.” Shawn Floating Cloud looks at Cora.

“Mr. Floating Cloud, the spirits brought this matter to my attention. They were tired of the white man breaking his word and killing innocent people whose only crime was to live a safe life. I know there is more to this, but the bottom line. Is that the spirits felt this matter needed my attention, and now I need your help? This has gone beyond what I and my partner can handle.”

“And what exactly do you suggest we do, Mrs. Black?” Sera Talking Deer looks at Cora. She has never been happy that Mrs. Black was chosen by the spirits. She felt that someone else among them should have been selected.

“Defend your border from the government and stop the anti-immigration group from harming these people. Or at least provide resources to help out.”

“Who is your other partner, Mrs. Black?” Jay Midthunder looks at Cora.

“Amy Wolf, daughter of Wolf himself.”

“Our old gods don’t have any children. Mrs. Black.” Jay didn’t believe her.

A smirk appears on her face “do you want to say that to his face, Mr. Midthunder?”

“Please, Mr. Midthunder. I would like very much to hear your opinion” Wolf comes walking into the chamber where Cora was standing. She knew the spirits had sent him.

All the chiefs in the room look at the well-dressed Native American man walking into the chamber. He was a well-built man and stood almost seven feet tall. He also had a presence about him that energized the air in the chamber.

Mr. Midthunder looks at the vast man that just appeared out of the shadows. He had never seen the man before, but he could feel the energy drifting around in the chamber.

“Who are you, sir?”

“You must be stupid, Mr. Midthunder.” Cora looked at Jay Midthunder like he had lost it.

Wolf just smiled, showing his pearly teeth. His eyes flash gold as he stands next to Cora and places his hand on her shoulder. He could feel the fox and eagle spirit inside of her.

“I have to agree with Mrs. Black.” Chris Cody and the others sitting near him knew who this man was.

“What can we do for you, Wolf?” The oldest chief among the council looks at Wolf with respect.

“You can help my daughter and the servant of the spirits here by protecting your land and helping the innocent.” Wolf felt he needed to make an appearance.

“Why do you show yourself now when we have been trying to summon you in the past?” Morningstar Littlefeather looked at Wolf as he stood next to Cora.

“Because sometimes a father has to let his children find their path. Also, your beliefs in us have weaned. You have been converted to a Christian god and have forgotten your past.” Wolf knew much of their heritage had been lost because people had forgotten who they were.

The stories of his people are no longer passed down, and the belief in him and the others have all but been forgotten.

“We will need a minute to speak among ourselves.” Gil Greyeyes nods his head to Wolf.

Wolf just waves his hand. He and Cora disappear from their sight but remain. Cora so liked what Wolf did.

“What did you do?” She looks at him.

“Something you will learn soon. We are still here, but they can’t hear or see us, but we can hear them.”

“That is so cool.” Cora couldn’t wait to learn that trick.

The two of them listen to the discussion as all the representatives try to talk over each other. It takes Gil Greyeyes to bring reason to the chaos. He reminds them that Wolf was their god and Cora was a vessel for the spirits. They could have ordered them, but they were asking nicely.

“You mean I could have demanded that they help out?” Cora looks at Wolf for clarification.

“Yes, because you are a representative of us, my dear. You speak with our voice and strength.”

“Okay, I’ve just learned something new today.”

A smirk appears on Wolf’s face “I think its time to make our presence known again.”

Everyone watches as Wolf and Mrs. Black appear where they had been standing before. Gil Greyeyes stands up "we will help you Cora Black. Also, we will send supplies your camp."

"Thank you." a smile appears on Cora's face.

up
130 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Well things just got more interesting

Samantha Heart's picture

With Wolf appearing before the council & next to Cora . think he made a profound impression on the council of elders and Cora her self. Cora has learned something about her abilities & will learn more soon it appears. I think Wolf is Greatful Cora is helping his daughter in fighting against the white man.

Love Samantha Renée Heart.