Native Life Chp. 4

Printer-friendly version

Arizona's Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument:
It’s late in the evening by the time Cora arrives where the spirits wanted her. She could see now why the spirits sent her. She gets off her motorcycle and looks around at the mangled machinery and steel barriers that they were in the process of putting up. She walks around the place, using her flashlight to light the area since she wasn’t wearing her mask.

She stops when she spots a few arrows. They weren’t modern ones but made the old fashion way. She looks at the craftmanship of the arrows. Whoever made them, took the time to use the proper materials and make their arrowheads as well.

She stands up with them in her hand and continues to look around. As she is examining the area, she hears four-wheelers coming her way.
She stops to see who was coming toward her. As the four figures on the four-wheelers get closer, she notices they were wearing military fatigues.

The four figures stop a good distance from her. They shine the lights of the four-wheelers towards her.

“Identify yourself.” Jesse came back to the site where the contractors had been attacked.

“You, first. What are you doing trespassing on Native American land?”

“I’m protecting the border from illegal immigrants. Now, why don’t you identify yourself.” Jesse had his gun trained on the figure in black.

“So, in other words, you’re trespassing on Native American land. I’m going to warn you just once. Leave, before I seriously hurt you.” Cora figures these guys had weapons on them.

“You’re outnumbered, BITCH! Now, surrender.” Jesse was ready to pull the trigger on this woman.

“Ah!” As one of the people behind Jesse gets attacked by an animal.

Cora moves as she pulls several of her throwing knives out and throws them right at Jesse. She didn’t have her mask on, but she was still pretty fast without her mystically enhance abilities. She moves just in time as the person who had stopped next to Jesse fires his gun at her. The bullet hit the ground, instead of her.

She could hear the growling sound of some animal as it took down another person. She grabs her tomahawk from her pouch and attacks the fellow who just tried to shoot her. She brings it down hard on his arm, trying to break the guy’s arm. She hears the bone crack as the tomahawk connects.

She looks over towards the first guy and notices she managed to kill the guy. Her throwing knives landed on his neck. She looks around and spots a wolf ripping the throat out of one of the guys. The first guy that had been attacked, was on the ground holding his arm where he had been mauled by the wolf.

Cora takes her motorcycle helmet off and looks down at the guy “get your men off my land, NOW!” Her eyes flash red.

William wraps his arm as quickly as he can. He secures his friends to a second four-wheeler and tows it back to where they came in at. He saw how the wolf was looking at him.

Cora watches as the man she told to leave, bandages his arm and put the other three dead men onto a second four-wheeler to tow back. The wolf that had to intervene and attacked the men stood by watching the man as well. She was getting a strange vibe off the wolf.

“Thank you for helping me, little sister.” Cora knew the wolf standing nearby was a female wolf.

“You’re welcome.” Amy morphs from her wolf form, back to her human form. She was fully clothed when she finishes her transformation.

Cora stands there stunned as she watches the wolf assume a human form. She has been told myths about some of the Native American gods walking among their people. But she never thought those myths or legends were true.

“You look surprised, Fox. Are you the champion of our people?” Amy smiles at Cora.

“Yes, but I never thought the legends were true.” Cora was shocked.

“You believe in the spirits and do their bidding, but you never thought the gods moved among our people?”

“I didn’t know Wolf had a daughter; I’m assuming that you are related to him?” Cora was still shocked.

“He is my father. I believe it might be best if we leave this area for now. My camp is nearby.” Amy mounts the four-wheeler, after securing the second one to be towed.

“Alright.” Cora puts her helmet back on and mounts her motorcycle.

She follows behind the four-wheeler as she is led back to the young woman’s camp. She had so many questions for the young woman. Why didn’t she know Wolf had a daughter?

After a while, they arrive at the campsite. She saw a modern tent and a small fire already going. There was a horse grazing nearby. She parks her motorcycle where the young woman parks the four-wheelers.

Cora takes her helmet off and leaves it on her motorcycle. She walks over to the fire and sits down on the ground. She watches as the young woman disappears inside the tent and comes back out with water skin.

“Here, take a drink. You must be thirsty from all the fighting and traveling.” Amy hands the old-style water skin to Cora.

“Thank you.” Cora accepts it and takes a drink from it.

The water tasted as if it came from a spring or creek. It had a unique taste to it. After Cora finishes taking a couple of sips from it. She hands it back to the young woman.

Amy takes the water skin and gulps down the water. She was thirsty from traveling and fighting in her wolf form. After she has her fill, she closes the water skin and looks at the young Native American woman sitting near her. She could tell that the woman had been touched by the spirits.

It was the same prickle energy she gets from herself and her father. She wonders what the story is about this woman. She looks at her face “what’s your story? How did you become a servant of the spirits?”

“They healed me and in exchange for what they did. I said I would serve them. It seemed that the spirits have always had a champion in one form or another. What is your story? How are you related to Wolf?” Cora was curious.

“I haven’t always been Wolf’s daughter. I was born to a normal family until someone got the bright idea of experimenting on a twelve-year-old girl. Somehow those people managed to trap Wolf and drain him of his blood and put it inside of me.”

“I didn’t think it was possible to catch a Native American spirit.” Cora was puzzled how you would do that.

“Well, they did and replaced my blood with his. The process they used killed me, and they left me to die out in the desert along with the corpses of the other people they did the same thing to. The thing was, instead of Wolf’s blood killing me, it changed me.”

“So, it changed you into what you are now?” Cora knew how that felt. The spirits did the same thing to her when she fully gave herself over to them.

“Yes, and I have accepted what happened to me a long time ago. I am Wolf’s daughter and I have the pledge to make the white man pay for what they have done to our ancestor's land.” Amy’s golden eyes flash because of her anger.

“Okay, can you tell me what is going on and why the spirits are being disturbed in this area?”

“The white man is building their border wall across the land and destroying ancient artifacts and disturbing our ancestors.”

“They can’t do that It’s against the law and that land belongs to our people.” Cora knew the government had no right to be doing what they are doing.

“It doesn’t matter to them. They say it's for national security, but I think it's because they are afraid. Afraid that the people coming here for a better life is going to replace them.”

“If the government didn’t create the problems going on in other countries, they wouldn’t have immigrants coming to us.” Cora knew that by giving money and supplies to other countries. That the government officials receiving them, aren’t sharing them with their citizens. As the old saying goes, the richer get richer, and the poorer get poorer.

“Agree.” Amy opens the waterskin and takes another sip of water.

“Who were those people who stopped me?”

“Racist citizens that have banded together to protect the border and kill any immigrants who try to cross it.” Amy had been tracking them and listening to their conversation.

“Great, more problems to deal with.” Cora just sighs as she tries to figure out what to do next.

up
172 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Love your writing, but

It was such a heartbreak when you added the politics. It ruined a really great story.

ShadowCat

Trying not to

I’m trying not to inject any politics, but how Amy and Cora feel about what the white man is doing to their people.

garfieldwritingsf.jpg
If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it.”
― Toni Morrison

Facts are facts

To ignore the facts is to be less than truthful. Willfully blind. The fact that one side wants to make it a political discussion doesn't change the facts.


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

A real mess

Samantha Heart's picture

The governments have caused.

Love Samantha Renée Heart.

Self righteous

Jamie Lee's picture

Governments, being self righteous, always create people like those confronting Cora. And it's because they do what's in their best interests, not the people's best interest. Those men died because they thought it their job to keep foreigners out of the States, forgetting they too were born from those descended from foreigners coming to the States.

Those in Government care nothing for agreements made, if it means they lose control over the people covered by the agreement. Especially if they can justify, to themselves, the reason the agreement was broken.

To Governments, people aren't people, but classes that must be divided into those acceptable, those marginally acceptable, and those who can rot. And it's the marginally acceptable and those left to rot that return to fight the injustices dealt by Governments. They are the ones telling truths Governments don't want to hear or others to hear.

Others have feelings too.