Royal Retreat Part 12: A Babe, A Dude & A Plan

Printer-friendly version
Royal Retreat  

Tammyverse Book 13
 

 

Royal Retreat
Part 12
A Babe, A Dude & A Plan
Shiraz & Snowfall

 

 
Please note this is a work of fiction and any references to real people, real institutions or real heavily armed military units are for artistic purposes only!
 

It was Wednesday before any more news arrived from London.

“Tammy, this is off the record.”

“Understood, Uncle.”

“You are to keep your girl safe, I don’t want her freaking before we get a chance to conclude the investigations.”

“Sir, now you’re getting me worried. Investigations, plural?”

“Yes, and I’m afraid you are close, or have been close, to some of those involved.”

“So what do I do?”

“Nothing, conclude your mission as planned.”

“And?”

“I need you to move your travel arrangements up by twelve hours, but do not travel under your own ID.”

“And how exactly am I supposed to do that? I don’t have an alternate ID with me.”

“That has been arranged. Just stay safe.”

“That’s easy for you to say, when you know what’s going on?”

“Sorry Tammy, that’s how it has to be for now. Oh, we have Kyle in custody at HMP Belmarsh. The Glasshouse wouldn't take him as he's no longer military.”

That 6am call wasn’t what she’d expected and now she knew very little more. Immediately she went to the hangar office, Kimberly and Krystel were talking while consulting a page.

“Kim, I think I need to see Lyssa.”

“Trouble?”

“Yes, my plans are being changed, and I have no idea why?”

“Have you seen the news?” Krystel asked.

“No, should I have?”

Krystel shrugged and pointed at her screen. “CNN are carrying a story from London about raids on military bases and hotels very late yesterday, and a press conference has just been held. Maybe you should know?”

Tammy groaned. “Great! Who’s been compromised?”

“The fact that we're all standing here talking tells me a great deal about that.” Kimberly remarked.

“That we haven’t been compromised?”

Kimberly nodded. “Correct; although that should include a disclaimer of ‘not yet’.”

“You’ve already made me feel loads better.” Tammy sighed.

Krystel sipped from a coffee cup. “Hey, that’s what families are for, Tammy-girl. Head on up to the house, I’ll let her know you’re on your way.”

Tammy was soon knocking at the open patio door, looking inside to see Lyssa in dancewear, minus shoes.

"Come." Lyssa called out and waved her in.

Tammy entered. "Sorry to interrupt so early."

Lyssa sat down at the table next to the twins high chairs to feed them. "You seem to have a new problem. Start talking."

"I've just heard that new investigations are ongoing back in the UK. Once again, somehow, I'm connected, as is Maisie, and I may even be a suspect? The problem is, I'm not being told anything - again!" Tammy surmised.

Lyssa continued to feed the twins, who were being unusually cooperative. "I had that happen once. I wasn't thrilled. They kind of walked on eggshells with me though, all but three interviews were conducted from a hospital bed. Two problems were their concern. One; I wasn't medically cleared for much. Two; they were pretty much aware that if I could move, even just a little, I was still lethal."

"I'm almost wishing I had that kind of reputation." Tammy commented.

Lyssa gave a half-shrug. "Like just about everything, that blade cuts both ways. Anything that can work for you, can also work against your pretty rear."

"I guess so." Tammy replied.

Lyssa wiped Allie's face. "It already does for you."

This surprised Tammy. "It has, how so?"

"The way I understand it; Sean and that super-grade, Addington, have been going to bat for you. So said; you three are taking turns making each other jump through hoops to get shit done. One thing I have come to understand, the British apparatus is very structured. Who you know and how means a lot. People don't like who they deem as 'outsiders' getting in the mix." Lyssa said.

This puzzled Tammy. "Me; an outsider? How?"

"You may have spent years at an all-boys/old-boys school, but you're not a boy, are you?" Lyssa pointed out.

Tammy looked away in self-disgust for overlooking the blatantly obvious. "There is that."

"Another thing I hear is REAL common is going to specific universities. For the states, if you go for law there's Harvard, Tulane, Berkley, Princeton, you get the idea. For medical; Johns Hopkins, UCLA, LSU, Harvard. Now for British spies; it's Oxford mainly, but Cambridge for specific fields. You're going to a lesser facility in the Highlands. What we'd call a community college. Strike two." Lyssa explained.

"I suppose so." Tammy began thinking, then remembered that it had been mentioned by Dave that certain students from St. Andrews could be monitored, contacted and steered.

Lyssa, somehow, kept Alex from pouring out his juice. "Another route into spookdom is through the military. You never enlisted or were formally commissioned so you haven't worked up through the ranks or 'spent time in the trenchs'. Strike three. To be brutally honest, you've pretty much been shanghaied into the arena and all you've been taught by their side is either to keep you in play or to cover their asses."

"True, far too accurate." Tammy admitted.

"Despite all that against you, you now orbit in some high level operations. You got a taste of Black Ops over Christmas, but only a taste. You haven't gone super-dark. This upsets those aforementioned old-boys and their anally-retentive idea of world order. They're all connected in expected ways. You aren't. You aren't predictable, their idea of predictable. Don't forget, they mostly think females in the service are still for office work and the occasional courier gig." Lyssa reminded and added with London-accented sarcasm. "English girls aren't supposed to get dirty, man's work and all that. Be a proper Lass and bring in the tea, off you go."

That annoyed Tammy. "That's just wrong."

"They don't think so. The British believe in micro-management, even though they have a habit of shooting themselves in the foot from the get-go. Quadruple redundancy that anyone can look into whether they're involved or not. They only start compartmentalizing when it becomes clear consequences fall directly on them." Lyssa explained.

Tammy sat back in the chair. "Closing the barn door after the horses are already out."

"Closing the individual stalls after the horses bolted because the barn's on fire." Lyssa snarked. "I hear you've been there already."

"Right." Tammy sighed.

"Can you take the twins for me? I need a coffee. You?"

Tammy took them onto her lap.

"Sure, so do you have any suggestions?"

"Are there any change of orders?" Lyssa asked from the coffee pot.

Tammy gave a half-shrug. "Finish this deployment but move up my return twelve hours. Travel under alternate identity."

"And why is that?" Lyssa asked, delivering a cup.

Tammy shook her head. "I wasn't told."

"If I had to sneak home; I'd definitely be wanting to know who's waiting for me and what do they have in mind." Lyssa gave the side-eye. "I might say 'okay' and do something completely different. While they're waiting for you in Heathrow, you show up in Glasgow with 'Oh, sorry, I will be on the next train' and miss it. Keep in mind; I have the 'screw with me, I screw back' habit."

Tammy chuckled. "But you have a reputation that deters most."

"I get 'okay, shoot me, just don't beat me' a lot." Lyssa grinned.

Tammy laughed fully. "I can attest to that!"

"Free advice." Lyssa said and began cleaning up from the twins breakfast.

"From you; I'll always take it." Tammy replied.

Lyssa took away the dishes. "Find out all you can, before you even pack to leave. If they refuse, then say 'right, fuck that. I'll come back my way and if there's any idiots waiting, I get in the car and shoot them in the back of the head. A lot. Then I go home.' That should make it clear to stop screwing around."

"It’s not something I would have considered but I left my guns in London." Tammy reminded.

Lyssa waved over her shoulder. "Details, details. Put them down to play, please."

One by one Tammy set the twins down on the floor. They immediately scampered for their toys in the middle of the living room floor. Lyssa poured coffee for herself and Tammy.

Tammy drank and wanted to moan in pleasure. "So good. I swear the men are in a competition for the worst."

"They are. Whoever gets a scream, wins." Lyssa laughed. "Right now it's between Eddie and Lonestar."

Tammy shook her head. "And everyone claims British humour is hard to follow."

They finished the coffee quickly and Tammy watched Lyssa take the twins into her studio, following behind. The twins were set into a playpen, then Lyssa tied on her pointe shoes. Tammy sat quietly as Lyssa warmed up then began her exercises at the barre with music playing. Warlock wandered in and laid down by the twins. Tammy couldn't help smiling as she watched Lyssa dance to a modern electronic song. She went over and looked at the display for the song information. The song was called After All by Delerium featuring Jael.

Tammy hadn't seen ballet danced to such modern music. Lyssa was almost hypnotic in her moves. Sensuously slow interspersed with bursts of quick fluid moves. It made Tammy think of water moving in creeks or streams. Time seemed to stand still. The music, the dance, Lyssa herself, were all that mattered.

Suddenly Tammy smiled and whispered to herself. "You taught Tiffany to dance."

After the last song, which Tammy saw to be In Your Arms by Ashley Serena, Tammy was almost in tears. It had been a moving song and her dance to it was beautiful, expressing longing.

"Here." Lyssa said, snapping Tammy back to the present.

Tammy smiled and took the tissue Lyssa offered. "Oh, thank you. That was so beautiful."

Lyssa took off her pointe shoes and made notes on a pad. She retrieved the twins and headed out of he studio. "I'm done for now. Come on."

The twins were set back down in the living room to play. Lyssa took two bottles of water and offered one to Tammy. Lyssa's laptop chimed.

"Cool." Lyssa remarked reading a notice.

Tammy looked over. "Something good?"

"Ten new listings in Elegant Executive." Lyssa smiled.

Tammy chuckled. "So Elegant Executive is your retirement plan?"

Lyssa looked over. "You mean you haven't figured its real purpose out, yet?"

"Real purpose? You mean its not a training service?" Tammy asked.

Lyssa laughed. "Wow! Krystel just lost money on you!"

Tammy shook her head. "I don't get it?"

"Tammy, EE is a training service, but that's the surface. Its real purpose is as a network. A public side and a private side. In truth; it's an international intelligence and logistics database. Using the network a woman can find female-friendly amenities. Hotels, salons, studios clothing, real estate for rent or purchase, medical, transportation, entertainment, restaurants, even consultants. Any member can use that. For us, we can gain intelligence about people, places and events. We can also use it to obtain any material or equipment needed in that area. It's a way to get around the system of bureaucracy. No paper trail and no oversight." Lyssa smiled.

Tammy had forced her brain to process everything she was told as it was said and her jaw dropped open. Finally she facepalmed.

"Oh my God, how could I be so dense? This is all out in the open and I never saw it for what it is. This had to take at least a decade to build?" Tammy asked.

Lyssa shook her head. "Actually the basic formation took only three months. From there it grew on its own. And still growing. For weapons and other black supplies, you have to contact us directly. That side stays secure. By the way; you need this. We started giving these out not long after you came here the first time."

Lyssa handed Tammy a small box. Tammy opened it to find a brooch with a stylized double-E in silver.

"Any woman that's taken the course has one. When you see it, you know they may be able to help you." Lyssa explained. "Kim has the ones for Maisie and Elizabeth."

Tammy began to laugh. "I have no idea how you came up with all this, but it's absolutely brilliant!"

"Uh-huh." Lyssa waved her off casually. "I'm your hero. I'm your idol. And when you grow up, you want to be just like me. Yeah, yeah."

Tammy knew she was teasing her, but nodded anyway. "Certainly! Who wouldn't?"

Both laughed at the joke. The laughter was short though, interrupted by Alex declaring his need for the toilet. Lyssa went over to collect both twins and sent Tammy out with a nod. Tammy laughed all the way back to the hangars, but also thought about her situation. Perhaps a conference call was in order about her orders. She started to walk, slowly, back towards the hanger.

One issue was, locally, who could she trust? This was turning into a familiar situation, once again, where friends were putting their necks out to advise her but retracting them before the guillotine fell. Lyssa didn't seem to have a problem with Sean, but had he already, cryptically, said as much as he could?

What about Sir Thomas Addington? He had never worked against Tammy and had actively sought to protect her. She pondered this, had she only benefited because of his need to protect the British Establishment? He seemed sincere but was this just a result of his power plays - did he play Bridge or Poker against the Queen?

Sean had hinted, loudly, that Maisie was at risk - but how? Was it by association or did Kyle somehow feature? He, after all, had eventually tried to separate Tammy and Maisie back at the Order of the Thistle but had also used the girl to swerve Tammy away from the secret meeting. Sean and Sir Thomas had resolved that situation - so she was truly grateful, but was there an agenda?

The trouble with doubts and theories is that they can manifest into conspiracies as soon as two or three active imaginations transform an open question into a fiction woven with half chewed facts.

She needed verifiable facts, not conjecture.

Could she tell Maisie? For now that was a definite 'no', the same applied to Lizzie. Neither of them were intelligence operatives with the appropriate training. Tammy giggled, by that definition was she, herself, an intelligence agent? She worked, sometimes, for MI5 and participated in intelligence operations but she had very little formal training. Regardless, she had, at least, had some training so that allowed her to analyse the situation.

Was there anyone locally who she could tug? The short answer was, again, 'no', mainly because the personnel were all military. Would her revised travel plans need to be brought to Jeremy Wells' attention? No, but confirming her original departure plans might help throw some subterfuge into the mix.

She was interrupted by Lizzie.

"Can you run me into Grand Bahama?"

"When?"

"After lunch? Apparently there's a package for us arriving from London."

"How did you hear?"

"A text message from Sir Thomas."

"Ah, okay. I wonder what it is?"

"He didn't say, but asked me to make sure it didn't go walkies, like the last package did."

"Common sense. Okay, I'll fly you over once lunch is out of the way."

That, at least, would be a distraction but was she expected to arrange her own flights or would reservations be made for her?

She would have to assume that any communication between herself and Sir Thomas could be compromised, so did she have a usable back channel?

Tammy ignored a request to inspect the troops and borrowed a boat to head over to Kestrel. She had a radio but decided not to announce her movements. A patrol intercepted her but waved her on as soon as she was identified. A staff member secured her boat at the Kestrel dock.

"I'm after DS Garston?"

"He was last seen in the briefing room having a break."

"Thanks."

Tammy managed to make her way around to the security team's briefing room without being challenged and she wondered whether that meant security was lax? As she walked into the air-conditioned room she spotted the multiple security monitors.

"Hello Miss Smart, what can we do for you?"

"I'd like to have a private word, please."

"Sure, let's take a walk."

Once outside they followed a coastal path until they found a bench.

"I'm guessing something's wrong, Tammy?"

"Yes, David, and I have a hunch that the fan is spinning back in the UK."

"And you're concerned it may reach you?"

"Yes, to put it mildly this isn't the first time. I got away clean last time as I was clean but I had to prove it. Right now I'm not liking what I am hearing."

"So where do I come into it?"

"Can you get a secure call to Sophie?"

"Not really, but I can reach the Counter Terrorist Team as well as the Royal and Diplomatic Protection team - my lot."

"Including DI Emily Keane?"

"and DI Edmunds, although I hear he's the next DCI."

"Kevin? Can you place the call?"

"What name does he know?"

"Tammy."

DS Garston's phone had a sat mode, Tammy noted, but he walked away to set the call up, returning a minute later.

"I'll be back in the command centre when you're done."

Tammy put the phone to her ear and started to walk.

"Kevin, it's Tammy, what the hell's happening?"

"And lovely to speak to you too Miss Smart?"

"Hey, I wouldn't be talking to you unless someone was stirring the manure."

"You got that right but we're not running the show."

"Who is?"

"Military intelligence."

"Damn, that's a contradiction!"

"Yes, Tammy, and we've been told by the boss to leave it well alone until we're needed. Everyone being interviewed so far is, or was, a serving member of the army."

"That narrows the field somewhat. Names?"

"No, just that Winchester was mentioned in the press conference."

"I don't have access to the news where I am."

"Which is?"

"Outside the UK."

"It's okay Tammy, it would take me a few seconds to find out where that phone is but don't worry, your name hasn't come up yet."

"It's that 'yet' that has me concerned, this has all the hallmarks of True Freedom and the Army have no idea what they're dealing with."

"I asked that question and was told categorically that TF were not involved!"

"Take that with a pinch of salt."

"Understood, but I can't see what I can do?"

"Well, hopefully I have nothing to worry when I fly back into Heathrow?"

"What day?"

"A red eye on Sunday morning."

"Rather you than me!"

"Thanks Kevin, I'll owe you one."

"I doubt if I've done anything?"

"Regardless, cheers."

Tammy ended the call, then went in search of David but found Kate on the way.

"Hello Tammy, what brings you over here?"

"I needed to liaise with DS Garston, he's an old friend."

"So you didn't come over to see me?"

"Not this time, sorry, it really was a last minute decision."

"Is something up?"

"I don't know, but I wanted a policeman's view on an issue that's back in London."

"Does this mean our plans have to change?"

"No, not at all. For me it's whether I fly into Heathrow, Gatwick or Stansted on Sunday! Something to do with baggage handlers?"

"I hate to use my privileged position, Tammy, but I'm really glad that kind of thing doesn't affect us?"

"Unfortunately, Ma'am, us mere subjects and mortals have to suffer the realities of a modern existence."

"Couldn't you fly yourself?"

"Yes, but my plane is in Scotland, I think, and couldn't do a Transatlantic hop in one go, which is why we came on a scheduled flight via Miami. We'll go back the same way"

Tammy hated lying to Kate but right now she'd told two, even three, people that her original flight plan was to be used for the return trip. That might mean multiple agencies all reporting the same, false, information.

"You'll let us know if you hear anything?"

"Of course, Ma'am."

She quickly returned the phone to the DS then headed for her boat for a ride back to the Ram's Rock dock. Wells was waiting.

"I was looking for you?"

"I went to see one of the protection team and I had a nice talk with Her Royal Highness."

"Dressed like that?"

"Kate was also in a bikini."

"That's irrelevant!"

"To a woman, it isn't. I sincerely hope that question won't ever come up again?"

"Which ... oh, no."

"Do I even get an apology?"

"Why?"

"Jeremy, I'm not one to get angry but right now how would you feel if I started a rumour about you and had all of the guys and qirls questioning if it was true? It doesn't matter if it's a falsehood, if enough folk repeat it then it becomes a self-replicating truth."

"That would be a court martial offence."

"Good, I'll get Sean to draw up the court martial papers and we'll have you in front of a judge advocate as soon as we're back in the UK?"

"You'll do no such thing!"

"The way I see it, that's exactly what you planned to do to me, just what did Kyle say to you? Perhaps I need to find the recordings?"

"Recordings?"

"Yes, I can't recall whether I had a bug placed, but I'm sure you'll be exonerated."

Tammy walked away, satisfied that another partial lie had been delivered. This was becoming a dirty war, Tammy versus the rest of the world, but she wanted the upper hand very early on. She hadn't installed a bug but that suggestion alone would leave the Lt Col very worried for the next few hours and her hosts confused. She went in search of coffee and was found by Krystel.

"What have you done now?" Krystel asked

Tammy finished readying her cup. "I don't know what you mean?"

"Wells is tearing the med bay apart and trashing all the sterilised materials."

"I suggested I'd bugged Kyle's bed."

"Uh-huh. And did you?"

"No, but I really want to know how good your own recordings are?"

"Who; us? No idea what you're talking about."

"Good, can I have the conversation between Kyle and Jeremy sent to Sean MacTaggart in London?"

"If my answer would be yes; when?"

"When we fly out?" Tammy was about sip then asked. "Who made this?

Krystel kept a straight face. "You tell me. I'd have to get clearance. I'd also have to give you a smirk and say well played."

"Thanks. He won't find the mics, will he?" Tammy sipped and felt her teeth grinding "If this was Carl's responsibility, I get the feeling he went for extra-crunchy today."

"Hell, no, our devices are good. Okay, how do you want to change your flights?"

"I don't want to fly into the UK at all."

"Oh?"

"We'll fly into Paris or Brussels and take the train into London."

"Not a bad plan, but how are you gonna get there without flying via the States?"

"Working on it but we'll have another ID."

"You do remember that the TSA use facial recognition at the major hubs so you'll be identified."

"Bugger. I need another plan."

Krystel nodded. "I'd suggest another plan."

"Maybe I could do with a dude. Is there a dude?" Tammy asked.

Carl walked by. "There's ALWAYS a dude."

"The omni-present Dude." Tammy giggled.

Krystel smirked as she turned to go. "They just keep popping up. Of course I think you'd call them 'the bloke'."

"That only works if you met a bloke down the pub, I'm told, it doesn't seem to happen at airfields or harbours in the UK."

Tammy met with Maisie and Lizzie for lunch.

"What the hell's going on?"

"What do you mean, Maisie?"

"Wells was in a rage and I heard your name. I'd keep a low profile if I were you."

"I told him some facts and it appears he didn't want to hear them."

"Did you plant a bug, Tammy?"

"Maybe."

"Well, they didn't find one."

"And?"

"Either it's still there or it didn't exist? I have no idea which it is and you won't say?"

"Schrödinger, Maisie."

"That's quantum mechanics?" Asked Lizzie.

"Yes, and no, yes and no."

"Which isn't an answer?"

Tammy decided to ignore the British flight crews so went in search of alternate aviation.

"Eddie, can I borrow the Bell?"

"Sure, have you flown one before?"

"Back at Wick."

"Get in it, take it up a few feet, hold , circle then drop it down. If you can do that without going for a swim or landing on the rotors then you can use it."

"Thanks."

Half an hour later Lizzie was airborne with Tammy on the way to Freeport airport.

"RamAir requesting permission to land by the terminal."

"What's your need?"

"Diplomatic package."

"Granted, RamAir to the VIP spot."

"Many thanks."

Tammy decided to stay with the chopper whilst Lizzie went to the airline's office. She was back in ten minutes with a large package.

Tammy got permission to leave once an incoming flight cleared the runway. She hopped back to Ram's Rock. Lizzie waited until they had landed before opening the outer envelope, which was addressed to Lizzie, but the inner envelope had Tammy's name on it.

"Oh, nothing for me?"

"Not this time, but you can now claim to be an expert diplomatic courier?"

"Based on just a few jobs? To think; I have wings, but I can't even fly this aircraft?"

"Neither could I, but I've gained a few more minutes of practice."

"Hey, hold on, you took me across water and you don't have a ticket for this type?"

"I couldn't hear any complaints."

"Yes, but?"

"But, nothing. We're not in the UK and we were only on a Commonwealth island for a little under fifteen minutes. The rules are different out here, remember?"

"True, I guess."

Tammy did her post-flight then went up to see Kimberly, closing the door behind her.

"I'm guessing, Tammy, you don't want the Brits to see what's in there?"

"Correct."

"Even your own girls?"

"Especially them."

Tammy slit open the strong Manila envelope and extracted three packages from within, marked T, M & E.

She opened the first one, revealing a British passport in name of Gabi Reason. A Black Amex card was also there in the same name.

"Damn, I can't use this Amex. Whoever set it up will have access to the credit account, complete with ticket purchases."

"Good call, you can't trust that card. Give me the others' names."

The other envelopes produced passports as Tina Hallett and Debbie Franklin.

"Okay, Thistle Maiden, I have an idea but it means involving a dude."

"Yeah, yeah. There's always one."

"Always. This one is kind of shady, but in a good way."

Tammy shrugged. "Shady might be the ticket. What's the idea?"

"We'll get you a private charter to an airport with direct flights to Europe."

"And?"

"Working on it, I couldn't be sure until I had all of your new IDs, some plans need names."

"Okay, thanks."

"You want to be back in London on Saturday?"

"Daytime."

"Okay. I can't promise if it'll be breakfast, lunch or dinner, but you'll get back on Saturday."

"Thanks, Kim."

"Hey now, this service isn't free!"

"Heck, someone will pay for this!"

"Krystel got what you asked for, and the stuff from this morning when he went on his tear. I sent it through channels."

"Dannigan?"

"In this case, yes."

"Good, at least the source and veracity of the message won't be in doubt."

"Considering it's video and audio; no doubt at all. It won't be delivered until you are on your way off this island on Friday, that's for your own protection."

"Cheers. Can I leave these documents with you?"

"Sure, did you want to have a little fun?"

"Like what?"

"Someone takes the Amex into Miami on Friday evening and uses it at the terminal."

"Naughty. I like it."

"Good. We do too."

"Just asking; how are we getting back to London?" Tammy asked.

Kimberly smiled. "Best plan is with one of Rodrick's contacts. He's what you might call a competitor of ours. If you go by rumors."

"What if I go by truth?" Tammy smiled back.

Kimberly laughed. "Oh he's very similar to us. He just does logistics."

Tammy had to think then understood. "So his customers aren't who they say they are, but otherwise they might use three letter acronyms for their business name?"

Kimberly tapped her nose and nodded to indicate Tammy was correct. "I have things to do, go do stuff."

Tammy felt uncomfortable as she walked back towards her cabin, having already decided to cook rather than eating with the troops. She'd only been there for a few minutes when there was a knock on the door. She found Geoff Traeger outside.

"Ma'am, could I have a word please?"

"Can it wait?"

"No, Ma'am, off the record please."

She let him enter, checked outside then closed the door.

"This is inappropriate, Commander."

"I know, Captain, but I have information that you need to hear."

"Go ahead."

"The Lieutenant Colonel is planning to detain you and your team before returning to the UK with you as prisoners."

"I see, why hasn't he acted yet?"

"He believes your association with the Royals would interfere with his plans so needs to wait until they have left the zone."

"I see. I would consider his actions as very dangerous. I believe you understand that we are all guests of our hosts and I have a special relationship here."

"I had noted that."

"Nothing, nothing happens on this island without the agreement of the locals. That includes all aircraft movements if I make myself clear?"

"Perfectly, Ma'am."

"Good. Thank you for bringing this to me, Commander."

"I believed you need to know. I've gone against protocol but I can justify it if necessary."

"I'm hoping that won't be necessary, I take the personal safety of myself and my friends very seriously."

A moment later she was on her own, very alone.

Maisie arrived fifteen minutes later.

"Where did you go to?"

"I had some paperwork to catch up with."

"Well, boss, something strange is going on and folk are giving me a cold shoulder."

"Okay."

"Just 'okay'? What's going on?"

"How would I know, Maisie?"

"Because you are always in the thick of it and I can read you like a bloody book!"

"Damn."

"So, Miss Smarty-Pants, what the hell is going on?"

"Let's go for a walk."

They followed a path away from the hangers and aimed for the main house but kept clear of the other residences. Tammy was scanning the area for Rodrick, but he was waiting.

"Okay, Tammy, what's happened?"

She ignored Maisie.

"I was told not to repeat the information I'd learned."

"So I was told, but I guess the circumstances have changed."

"Yes, this day has turned to shit and there's nothing I can do about it."

"That's dismissive, there's always something you can do. Anyway, I'm guessing you need to come clean to your fiancée?"

Tammy sighed. "I think it's the right thing to do."

"I'll stay here, in case she attacks you."

"To protect me?"

"No, to protect Maisie."

Tammy took a deep breath. "Did you hear about the arrests in the Winchester area?"

"Yes, I tried to call dad but there's no answer."

"I think he's been arrested."

"WHAT?"

"Look, I wasn't told explicitly that's what has happened but it fits what I know."

"WHY DID YOU NOT TELL ME?"

"Because the Colonel ordered me to keep it to myself."

"Bloody Army."

"Hey, the Colonel was trying to protect you, and me, but that's not working too well right now."

"What do you mean?"

"Wells really hates me now, and by association that means you and Lizzie as well."

"I got that feeling."

"He's going to order our detention and will send us back to the UK under guard."

"We're done."

"No we are not. Rodrick, you know about my revised plans?"

"Yes, Tammy, you will really owe us for this."

"Understood, but we have more immediate needs? I'm safe until the Royals leave, apparently."

"We can't bring forward your flight."

"So that leaves twenty four hours whilst I'm vulnerable?"

"No, we delay the Royals."

Maisie shook her head. "You can't do THAT?"

"Yes we can. I happen to know they have a lunch date on Friday with the Florida Governor that they are not looking forward to, so a late departure would suit their needs without causing a diplomatic issue."

"The bigger picture."

"Yes Tammy, look at the bigger picture. You can do that but in this case you didn't have their schedule. You have correctly identified your own risks and proposed a solution that we'll implement. As for you, Maisie, Tammy knows what she's doing and I can't see her freaking that her future father-in-law is in trouble?"

"No, Sir."

"So let her get on with it and everything will sort itself out, right?"

"Yes, Sir."

"Good, we'll find a way to thank the Commander later."

"I couldn't do anything about that. Did you listen?"

"Not yet, but Krystel told me what had happened and then reckoned you were coming to see me."

"She's good."

"She's very good. She cares for you, all of you, and hates bigots."

"And idiots."

"She has a special place for idiots."

Tammy was more confident that she was safe after her talk with Rodrick, but 'safe' was a relatively term in her world. Maisie wanted to asked questions but Tammy shook her head.

"You know as much as me and I have nothing more. If necessary we would already be on a flight home but I can't justify that right now. Just remember, walls have ears."

"So you did bug the med bay?"

"No, Maisie, I didn't but if he had nothing to fear then why did he panic?"

"Oh."

"So, let me do the thinking, you just do your work."

"I don't think there's any work for me now."

"Fine, join me on the beach tomorrow. We'll have an off day. Just make certain your bag is packed and just leave a clean set of casuals out for tomorrow in case. Can you let Lizzie know that she has to be ready to leave from tomorrow onwards?"

"What time?"

"Anytime from sunrise to sunset. Just be ready."

"Ready for what, Tammy?"

"I don't know yet, but I'll let you know when I do."

-o-

Thursday dawned but Tammy ignored the PT and breakfasted in her cabin. Maisie had decided to head for the canteen to pick up any gossip.

She headed to the beach and had a swim before topping up her tan.

"You're out of uniform!"

"Piss off."

Wells went to kick Tammy but she grabbed his leg and pulled him down, rolling him over and restraining him. He struggled as his face went into the sand.

"Now you little prick, I don't want to hear one more complaint about me, one more malicious word and don't you dare lift a finger against myself or my team. Do I make myself clear?"

"You have, owwww, crossed a line. I will see you in court!"

"Au contraire, Jeremy, I'm sure there will be a courtroom but I doubt if I'll be in the dock. I suggest you run back to your little boys club and admit that you can't handle women."

"I'll do nothing of the sort, I'll be back with an MP."

"Really? You are guests on this island and we don't have any Military Police here as we don't need them."

"They're flying in, for you and your fake women."

"You really were turned by Kyle, weren't you? I would love to hear that conversation."

Out of the corner of her eye she could see Krystel walking towards her. She leaned down close to Wells and poked his forehead.

"Hey Tammy, need a hand?"

"Hi! No, I've got this. What's up?"

"An unscheduled flight asked for permission to land. We're doing runway work so the flightline is down. So sorry, we can't accept any flights until tomorrow. I had to send them away. Only Miami can handle them. Sure you don't want a hand here?" Krystel gave Jeremy a sweet smile.

"I had wondered why it was so quiet? Did you hear that Jeremy, no reinforcements today. Off you go."

She stood and moved back to collect her towel, as Krystel looked on.

He walked away in disgust, brushing the sand off him. "Later!"

Krystel waved Tammy to talk. "Okay, Tammy, what did he do?"

"He tried to kick me for being out of uniform."

"And you let him live?"

"It served a purpose."

"I'm guessing he ordered the MPs?"

"Yes, for me Maisie and Lizzie."

"Well, we've delayed them, but you've lost an opportunity to deal with him permanently."

"Perhaps, but I'm British."

"And that will remain your problem."

"And my safety net?"

"Maybe, Tammy, maybe. We have some more intel from London."

"Yes?"

"Maisie's father has been confined to Quarters after two days of interviews."

"At least he's not in a cell?"

"No, but he's not free to go anywhere. An Army officer is still being questioned and several existing prisoners have been visited by interrogators."

"Nightingale, Bell and Fielding?"

"Correct, but someone is trying to get Kyle out on the basis of illegal detention."

"So treason isn't good enough?"

"That's not been made public and wasn't on his charge sheet."

"Oh."

"Yeah, it stinks to high Hell. Are you sure you still like the British system?"

"We do ask questions first and seldom need to follow through with a double-tap."

"Yes, and I don't see it changing anytime soon." Krystel remarked then added. "Tomorrow, you three need to wear swimsuits under your clothes. And take your luggage to Lyssa's as soon as possible in the morning."

-o-

Friday morning was busy. So busy, PT was suspended.

Under instructions from Tammy, the girls dressed with bikinis under shorts and tops, then Maisie and Lizzie packed everything else their luggage. With a slight change of plan Carl collected their luggage and disappeared.

A few hundred metres away the British personnel were breaking down their encampment. Maisie had at least, the previous day, established that the field kitchen and med bay would be the the last to be packed away. For now, breakfast was served in the main hangar before the cooks put a simple lunch pack together for the troops consisting of a sandwich, crisps and fruit. Only then would the mess facility be ready to be loaded onto a cargo plane with the rest of their gear.

As the Pumas carrying the Royals and their protection detail arrived, so did the boats carrying the patrols. Carl met them at the docks to tie up. The S.B.S. crews and S.A.S. greeted him and made their way to the hangars.

Jeremy greeted the royals, trying to hide his agitation. Only an hour before; he'd been informed they had changed their plans to have a late lunch with the Masons before flying out directly to Miami on the Gulfstream. Tammy stood waiting as well, giving him a definite look of 'make move and I shoot you'.

"Welcome back." Rodrick greeted the couple then looked down to the children. "Hi, kids. Been having fun?"

Both nodded happily and gave a quick "Yes!"

William and Kate nodded, William greeted them. "Lieutenant Colonel Wells. Captain Smart."

"Highnesses." Both greeted.

Kimberly joined them, holding a manila envelope.

"Is this?" Rodrick asked Kimberly.

Kimberly nodded and handed over the envelope. "Everything Donahue needs."

"Good." Rodrick replied then turned back to the royals and Jeremy. "Let's do lunch."

Tammy followed behind the group to the house. She assisted Lyssa setting up for the children's lunch then excused herself, going out the front door. Carl had come in through the patio door.

"You wanted me, Boss?" Carl asked.

Rodrick handed him the envelope. "Give this to Donahue. She'll meet you at the dock."

"Commander Donahue? Aye, aye, Skip." Carl saluted and left.

William took his seat after seating Kate. "Pressing matters, Rodrick?"

"Personal message for a friend in the Pacific Fleet. Tracy flies Hornets off the Abraham Lincoln. She's been on leave and heading back to San Diego." Rodrick said casually.

Kate looked pleased. "Does she really? That's impressive. Has she gone to the Top Gun school as well?"

"She has, actually. Took the top slot of her cycle. After this coming sea tour, she wants to try for the Blue Angels." Rodrick smiled. "She just might get it too."

William teased Kate. "Girl power."

Lyssa called over. "Be nice, Highness."

After the children were finished eating and set down to play. Warlock lay at the edge of the rug watching them. They began eating lunch, an Asian dish that Lyssa informed them to be from Thailand, but promised that it wasn't overly spicy - happily confirmed by Kate. It seemed a request for a light lunch had been issued so it was only thirty minutes before the meal was finished.

Kate and Lyssa sat and talked fashion. William and Rodrick sat and talked about how the prince had wanted to miss a politically sensitive lunch invitation and was glad to join the Masons instead. Jeremy sat quietly for fifteen minutes then stood up.

"Please excuse me. I have some matters to attend to before your departure. Highness." Jeremy said then left through the patio door.

William shook his head. "he's been fighting for an excuse to leave for quite awhile now. I'm surprised he lasted as long as he did."

"Noticed that, did you?" Rodrick smirked.

Wells stormed to the hangars. He found Lieutenant Vance.

"Vance! Where is Smart?" Jeremy demanded.

Vance looked at him confused. "She's not been with you, Sir?"

"Lieutenant; if she were with me, would I be asking you?" Wells seethed. "And were is that plane with the MPs I requested?"

"I can answer that." Lonestar answered from behind them.

Wells was barely holding his composure. "Yes?"

"They were in Nassau. They took off an hour ago." Lonestar replied.

This confused the British officer. "If they took off an hour ago, why aren't they here?"

"They received new orders; return to the U.K." Lonestar said.

Jeremy lost his temper. "WHO THE HELL GAVE THOSE ORDERS?"

Lonestar had had enough and grabbed him by the front of his uniform then growled. "MacTaggart. Don't you ever go off on me again you uppity snot. You act accordingly, Lieutenant Colonel, is THAT clear? This is where YOU say 'of course Colonel, forgive my impertinence'."

All eyes were on Wells. He could see the pilot's hand hovering by the holstered fifty calibre pistol on his hip. The Lt Col was also aware that he'd seen the man punch through an inch and a half wooden plank before because one of the F-35 pilots passed the tower exceeding six hundred knots without permission.

Speaking so that only Wells could hear, Lonestar continued. "Now that I have your attention, need I remind you that Lyssa is ready to feed you to that damned dog of hers? Putting on a show for the royals is right up her alley. Don't fucking tempt her. Settle your ass down, or I'll settle your ass down."

With that he turned Wells loose and waved his hand for everyone in the area to go back to work. Traeger walked up.

"Sir, that was not a good idea." Traeger said. "Our hosts are not happy with you. I suggest you take a few minutes and get yourself together."

Jeremy looked at him angrily. "Where is Smart?"

"Haven't seen her. Nor her sergeant or comms officer. Fortunately, all her reports are completed and have been sent out. The comms centre is packed away as is the med station now. We are ready to load up and leave when the transports come in. We should be off island an hour after the royals depart." Geoff stated.

Nearly an hour earlier the three girls had joined Carl on Rodrick's go-fast boat, he sent them down to change. "Kim said to turn your phones off. You're going dark so hold where you are for a minute."

He slowly pulled away from the dock, making sure he was out of sight before issuing his next instruction. "It's safe, come on up."

Tammy, Maisie and Lizzie came up from below, wearing only their bikinis. After taking seats and putting on headsets, Carl pushed the throttles forward to full speed, and then a notch further.

"So where are we going?" Maisie asked.

Carl answered. "Miami. I gotta meet a babe."

"Don't you mean a dude?" Tammy laughed.

Carl grinned. "I meeting a babe, you're meeting a dude."

Lizzie shook her head. "What is it with all these dudes?"

"They're everywhere, Lizzie." Tammy grinned.

Carl nodded. "That's just how it is. Go with it."

It didn't seem long before Carl started to throttle down as they approached a large marina. "There's a dress code here, girls, pull your bags up." Quickly all three threw their tops and shorts back on before shifting their luggage. Only Lizzie had two cases.

"This is nice, what is it?" Tammy asked, looking around.

Carl manoeuvred around the water traffic toward a dock. "Bayside Marketplace. Here, give this to the dude."

Tammy took a thick envelope he pulled from his back pocket. "Okay."

"Hey, there she is." Carl said, pointing.

Carl waved and a woman on the dock waved back. After tying up, he greeted her.

"How's it going, Commander?" Carl asked, saluting.

Tracy Donahue returned the salute. "Not bad. I thought Rodrick was coming."

"Couldn't get away. Guests." Carl replied then handed her a manila envelope. "Super-secret, ultra-hush-hush stuff."

Tracy looked at the blank envelope. "Okay, but who's it for?"

"Admiral Keller. His eyes only." Carl answered. He picked up the cases and shifted them onto the dock.

Tracy looked at him. "Oh shit, what the hell am I carrying?"

"Bad guys." Carl said. "Oh, this bunch needs to see a dude. Drop them off at Hangar fourteen. Thanks."

Carl had been casting off and started the engines.

"Dude? Hangar Fourteen?" Tracy Donahue asked but wasn't getting an answer as Carl was already powering away.

Tammy waved and said, knowing he wouldn't hear. "Uh, bye Carl."

Tracy looked to the three women and luggage. "Right. Well, come on then. I'm Tracy by the way."

"Nice to meet you. I'm Tammy, she's Maisie and she's Lizzie." Tammy introduced them.

Tracy led them to her rental and took them to the airfield. She stopped at a hangar with a number fourteen on the corner and big sign over the door adorned with a painted lemon. Someone playing guitar really loud inside could be heard.

"This is you." Tracy announced.

Tammy and her girls got out and pulled their luggage. "Thank you Tracy."

"Take care." Tracy waved and drove away.

Tammy opened the door and led them in. Up on a platform was a man playing guitar.

"HEY! TAKE FIVE?" Tammy called out.

The man stopped playing and turned around. seeing the trio he put his guitar down then slid down a pole and walked over.

"I guess you're who I'm hanging around for." The man said.

Tammy grinned. "You must be our dude."

The man rolled his eyes. "Yeah, I'm your dude. Name's Jimmy."

"Hi Jimmy, I'm Tammy. This is for you." Tammy said with a smile and handed him the thick envelope.

Jimmy opened it, pulling out two stacks of hundred dollar bills and a note. He read the note and shook his head.

"Christ, I gotta do this?" Jimmy groaned then looked at Tammy and sang: "Baby, he's your ticket. Put the suitcase in your hand. Dude's got his money, now do it just the way we planned. You be cool for twenty hours. We paid him twenty grand."

Tammy was trying hard not to laugh. Maisie and Lizzie just stood there confused.

"I'm gonna kill Carl, again!" Jimmy growled then whistled loudly and waved them to follow. "Let's go."

"I don't get it." Lizzie said then asked. "Tammy, is he taking us home?"

Jimmy answered. "I'm going to Europe and dropping you off since it's on the way."

"Why Europe?" Maisie asked as they climbed into Jimmy's plane.

Jimmy secured their luggage. "Making a delivery to our freedom loving brothers."

"What's in all these crates?" Lizzie pointed.

Tammy looked at her. "We don't want to know, that's a request and an order. Plausible deniability applies here."

Another man climbed in. "We're all set."

Jimmy nodded to him. "My co-pilot; Jackson."

"Hi Jackson." Tammy greeted. "Nice plane, guys, I haven't seen one like it before."

Jimmy finished closing the door. "Thanks. It's a BT-67 by Basler. Might not look it, but the Lemon'll get us there. Strap in!"

The plane taxied out and sat at the end of a runway.

Jimmy called out. "I always like to take a good look at America before I go, just in case it's my last."

Jackson shook his head. "Let's get in the air already."

"Power up." Jimmy said then called back. "Keep your seatbelts on for a while, we're taking off!"

Tammy watched out the window as the ground sped by then receded as the plane took off; it wasn't long before Florida was out of sight.

She settled back and tried to fall asleep, leaving the other girls to sort themselves out. So far they hadn't shown any ID or been checked in anywhere. Tammy was carrying the fake passports but was absolutely certain she would ditch them just as soon as they became a risk, but where were they going?

Just before she fell asleep Tammy did wonder how Kimberly was going to make it look like the three of them were travelling commercially? and was she having second thoughts about leaving that Amex card behind?

{Continues}
 

Tammy Beginnings follows sixteen year old Tom Smart as he starts his voyage of self discovery. This is an expanded Preludes story. Part 2 soon.
Don wants to pursue a career in Voice Acting and has been training himself. He's even developed some feminine character voices. What not even his closest friends or Dad know is: the latest feminine voice is destined for higher purpose. Opportunity and one strange chance change his life forever. Not all things in the night go 'bump'. Sometimes you find a voice of light, when you change your dial!
up
352 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

This just keeps getting

This just keeps getting better and better

Amanda

Great

Maddy Bell's picture

Way to start the day, fun with the Smart’s!


image7.1.jpg    

Madeline Anafrid Bell

Wells

It looks like he's 1 nm away from becoming "persona non grata" on Ram's Rock. And listening to a terrorist? If he had a functioning brain cell left he'd know that that's a career ending move (unless Fielding promissed him big riches or the protection of powerful "friends" back in the UK. Or just knew the buttons to press for Wells to flip). Furthermore it's obvious that there're a few more TF vipers in high places back in the UK. The resolution of this mess should become very interesting.

Thx for another great chapter^^

He IS Persona Non Grata

I have a feeling the only reason he was allowed to leave alive and not meet with a fatal accident is the content of the audio and video of Wells and Fielding. If it is a damning as I suspect, what awaits him when he returns to Britain will make him long for a quick death. What boggles my mind is he should know better. He was part of the SAS protection detail in the Lyssa Kordenay Mission Princes and Pirates, so he is aware that the residents of Ram's Rock are more than they appear and that Tammy's obvious relationship with them should have given him an idea that there is a professional and deep connection between Tammy and the Ram's Rock crew.

Wells and Fielding

What did Wells say in the med tent? I wonder if it wasn't just Tammy's gender but other things. Krystal knows what was said, but has opted not to tell Tammy - there better be a good reason for that, or it will just start mistrust.

Another wonderful chapter

If Wells had even a quarter of a brain, his bowels would certainly be VERY loose now, that his requisitioned MPs were sent back to base without his knowledge.

I love how the OICA crew look after Tammy’s best interests even before Tammy knows enough to ask.(But she seems to be learning very quickly.)

Thank you for this continuing tale of intrigue and mystery.

An Avid Reader

There’s always a “dude!”

Reeling somewhat over the number of threads, colliding agendas and personalities.

Tammy has certainly found herself a ‘home’ on Ram’s Rock” with nurturing older siblings.

But now Tammy is off island and will need to pay greater attention to the big picture. Perhaps some Lyssa-like precision surgical intervention is required to stop the rot . I get the feeling that Maise and ‘Lizzie need to catch up and get more on the team with Tammy.

Thank you for another great chapter.

Except, apparently

WillowD's picture

when there's a "babe"!

It's been my experience

That even when there's a babe they're still dudes. Another one of those words that's been stretched to cover both sexes. The American military does that a lot. The British military pretends that the females aren't really there, the American military just uses male terms and pronouns to cover both semesters.


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Allison Lysette

The twins were named Alexander Nathan and Allison Lysette. A boy and a girl.

Whispers referred to Allison as male in Invoking Demon Wraiths.

And in this chapter Lyssa said "Can you take the boys for me?". Is she raising Allison as male?

Tammy didn't seem to mention anything off with it. Have I missed something somewhere else?

the twins

Alecia Snowfall's picture

that was a typo I missed

quidquid sum ego, et omnia mea semper; Ego me.
alecia Snowfall

fixed!

shiraz's picture

fixed!

- - - -

Paperback cover Boat That Frocked.png

what the heck?

ah, the life of a spy.

DogSig.png

Yay! More Tammy.

WillowD's picture

Today is a good day.

This story is getting to be absolutely spectacularly awesome. (As opposed to being merely very awesome. Grin.)

I didn't see this coming!!!

After all the progress that had been made between Tammy and Wells, he threw her under the bus because of whatever Kyle Fielding told him. Yikes. And there is audio and video that will prove the connection. Is it possible that there is a prior professional relationship between the two, or somehow Fielding had information with which to blackmail Wells? Obviously True Freedom still has operatives that infiltrated the British military and possibly the security services.

I have no doubt that Tammy, Maisie and Lizzie are safe- at least for now- and Maisie's father will be exonerated. What troubles me is that given how little time has elapsed since Tammy and Maisie met, it suggests that True Freedom has been playing a very long game if they are setting up Maisie's father to be a fall guy as a way to get at Tammy and Maisie. I don't believe in coincidences.

Shiraz, Snowfall, you have given us an epic cliffhanger here. I can't wait for the next chapter. Thanks for your wonderful story.

Et Tu Brute!

joannebarbarella's picture

Now Tammy knows how Caesar felt, but at least she has friends looking out for her. Poor old Julius had none.

Tammy's Allies: Commander Traeger and DS Garston

Commander Traeger, whose rank is equivalent to a Lt. Colonel, obviously is a more astute officer than Jeremy Wells. He was able to recognize that Tammy straddled intelligence and operations and, while very young, is able to plan ops with consideration of operational and strategic goals in mind. It is obvious to the Commander that Tammy's real supervisory officer is far higher up the food chain than Jeremy Wells. Traeger was able to work with her successfully and they make god team mates. I'm sure he also realized that the depth of her working relationship with the Ram's Rock crew meant there was some level of operational familiarity, which in turn suggests that she is an important asset. All of which explains Commander Traeger's willingness to alert Tammy to Jeremy Wells perfidy. I hop that somewhere down the road they have the opportunity to work together; after all, she is dive certified.

Tammy crossed paths with (now) DS Garston early on when she was undergoing training with Heather and Sophie. Therefore he has put together enough pieces of the puzzle to recognize that whatever her work is, it crosses civilian and military boundaries; he doesn't need or even want to know exactly who she works for, only that she is reliable, and trustworthy. As such, he will be supportive of her as in this instance when he placed the call for her which was definitely out of the ordinary.

All of these wonderful comments

WillowD's picture

Royal Retreat seems to be getting a huge number of awesome comments from guest readers. Many of them are very insightful like this one. I'm really glad Erin enabled comments from guest readers.

Wells needs to having a boating accident

Jamie Lee's picture

Wells should have experienced playing with Warlock as the dogs chew toy. But Lonestar may have made it abundantly clear how slim his life expectancy was if Wells continued acting like an ass.

Wells paygrade isn't high enough to be going after Tammy, regardless that he thinks he has the authority. Had Wells been able to take the girls back under guard, his butt would have been raw after those above his paygrade got finished with him. And then he'd be investigated.

So who's pulling the strings, trying to get Tammy again? Who set up Maisie's father, and why? There must have been enough on that recording for someone to know the MPs weren't needed. That a certain problem will be taken care of when he lands back at his base.

Others have feelings too.