Royal Retreat Part 10: Protocols

Printer-friendly version
Royal Retreat  

Tammyverse Book 13
 

 

Royal Retreat
Part 10
Protocols
Shiraz & Snowfall

 

 
Please note this is a work of fiction and any references to real people, real institutions or real heavily armed military units are for artistic purposes only!
 

Tammy had wanted to spend the remainder of Sunday topping up her tan but was very aware of the intel concerning Kyle Fielding.

“Would he be stupid enough to attack here?”

Carl had been walking away but he stopped and turned.

“If he’s stupid then anything is possible, but there’s stupid and then there’s F’ing STUPID. My guess is that he falls somewhere between the two?”

“So be prepared for the worst and hope for the best?”

“No Tammy. Plan, prepare and revise. All plans go to shit, concern with recovering. Learn how to down-grade from FUBAR.”

“That doesn’t sound like your words, Carl?”

“Kim actually, maybe even Lyssa before that. Just remember the message. Make it a mantra.”

“Okay, all I need is a pow-wow with everyone?”

“Upstairs, half past.”

The clock had eased past midday as she’d brought the boat alongside. It had taken twenty minutes to clean the boat, although Tammy wasn’t convinced that was long enough, but her bladder alarm was going off. She headed for the nearest restroom then made it up to the briefing room as the door was being closed.

“Sorry, here now.”

“Who said you were invited?” asked Kimberly.

“I guessed, as it involves Kyle, the Royals and me?”

“Maybe, maybe not.”

“Oh. So I’m not needed?”

“You’ve made two assumptions in as many minutes, Captain Tamara Smart. Not a habit to get into. Stop and listen.”

“Yes, Ma’am.”

“Rod, can she stay as an observer?”

“As an observer; yes.”

Tammy nodded.

“Good, Fielding was spotted fifteen minutes ago." Kimberly announced

Rodrick asked. "Who and where?"

"Romeo Santos. He was on a small boat at Marsh Harbour. He wasn't alone and didn’t look comfortable.”

“How many and were they arriving or leaving, Kim?”

“Both. He fuelled and headed East. El Piñata left Moore's Island this morning and has taken a position about twenty miles east of Grand Bahamas earlier today. We were told when Coastguard spotted it. They didn’t have time to do anything about it at the time and it wasn’t, apparently, breaking any laws. They had to respond to a civilian pleasure vessel in distress.”

“Okay, unless they send a fast boat out to intercept him then he’s going to take two to three hours to make contact. Add a couple of hours for his training, if they allow him unrestricted access. Puts him around nineteen to twenty-hundred hours. My guess is he’ll want a dusk approach. Can he bring the sub alongside the dock at Kestrel?”

“Sure, there’s about three to four fathoms there. The bay is even deeper. It's a natural harbor.” Rodrick re-stated. "a natural harbor, fresh water and access to power; they paid a bundle. I think it went for twelve. Cassidy wouldn't let anybody haggle it down before."

Tammy shook her head, this did not sound promising. Kimberly ignored her.

“Options; first is to pick out the sub before it gets close. My guess is that it has sonar and runs almost completely silent so we’d struggle to find it? Next is to deal with the sub at the dock, but depth charges may damage the dock. Of course, it might claim to be an environmental survey and not an offensive mission? Anyone?”

Tammy snorted, trying desperately not to laugh.

Pete suggested. “We hang a net across the entrance to the bay and mine just outside the entrance?”

“That would make it difficult to evacuate anyone by boat or to land more personnel.” Rodrick answered.

“We get the Brits to put a full platoon or squadron on Kestrel and leave it to them?” Carl offered.

Rodrick was looking increasingly concerned.

“So all suggestions involve damaging the sub. Letting the Brits handle it might make it more complicated. Spitballing here; what happens if the cartel hears that we, or the Brits, destroyed their sub? Possible scenario; they think we did it, since we're supposed to be shady, and they retaliate in kind. Not good. They understand the Brits did it; they don't care about protecting royals and it agitates them even more so, cue retaliation against the Crown. That backfires on us. We need more options.”

Tammy waved her hand.

“Downstairs to the right.” Kimberly prompted, reminding the location of the ladies' room that Tammy had already visited.

“No, not that, I have a suggestion. We let Fielding land on Kestrel and capture him. The sub isn’t damaged and the Brits can deal with their own, whilst there’s no link to yourselves.”

“I can see a major flaw.”

“I’ve already thought of that, Kimberly. Let me explain.”

Krystel arched an eyebrow. "This ought to be good."

-o-

The invitations went out to the Royal Party as soon as the plan was agreed, then Tammy hurriedly went to get changed out of her swimwear. Ten minutes later Rodrick briefed the British officers

“A barbecue?”

“Sure, why not? Lyssa and I have invited them and the invite was accepted. They will be our guests for the evening.”

“And they will return to Kestrel tonight?”

“That’s the idea.”

“We’ll arrange for their transport.”

“It’s dealt with, we’re speaking to the protection liaison officer and pick-up is at three as her Royal Highness is having her hair done and the Prince is on rugrat detail.”

“You speak as if they’re personal friends and not the ruddy Royal Family?”

“I’m American, Jeremy. We haven't done monarchy since 1776, and they are personal friends now.”

“Point taken, Rodrick, but my guess is that you won’t cook much before six and nothing has been set up as yet?”

“Which leaves us close to three hours time that needs to be arranged?”

“Correct.”

“I heard some of your personnel talking about a grudge match between the two groups, SAS versus SBS.”

“There’s always rivalry. For certain you know about that.”

“Absolutely. But your bunch sounded serious, how about a football game?”

“They wouldn’t know how to play that gridiron thing.”

“Not our football, yours. Soccer, eleven a side. You can get some of the airwing and support to make up numbers, right?”

“Some have been using that pitch they found, but always after the sun has dipped otherwise it's been too hot?. I will, however, insist that there is still a patrol out there, guarding the island?”

“That can be done. And we'd even help out with a full sweep before the Royals return.”

“That’s up to the Close Protection team.”

“Great, I knew you'd be onboard!”

“I haven’t agreed yet?”

“Sure you did.”

Jeremy Wells shook his head. "You're barking Rodrick."

"Relax, it'll be a good time for all. Have some coffee." Rodrick patted him on the back.

"I'll have tea." Jeremy growled. "And don't you dare gave any of that poison to his Highness, either!"

The next few hours turned into a semi-disaster as a party suitable for VIPs was created from scratch. Tammy heard a few impolite words indirectly, with herself as a target. Unfortunately Lyssa also gave the look of minor annoyance when Tammy was summoned.

"So this was your suggestion?"

"We were playing politics, it seemed like the best way to handle the mess."

"And my husband agreed?"

"He set the ground rules, my plan was the only one to tick the boxes."

"So, a dinner party with sport was needed within hours? We normally have at least three days to set something up."

"Sorry Lyssa, but there is a special forces trained idiot out there who doesn't give a toss!"

"Oh I get it, Tammy, but have you ever tried to fix something like this at short notice?"

"My parents' wedding, we fired the caterer that morning."

"Out of a cannon?" Lyssa smirked.

"I wanted to. We cancelled his contract with malice then hired his daughter."

"Close, then. Okay, so you have some experience. I guess you'll be helping kick this into shape? I still have the twins to handle."

"Ummm, firstly Kim isn't happy with me as no heavy artillery is going to be used, and secondly I've got to be the logistics girl."

"Which was what I wanted."

"Yeah, apparently I can be spared but everyone else is occupied."

"It's nice to be wanted."

"Not when everyone needs you and no-one thanks you."

"As an operative that’s the normal situation."

"And the primary cause of a SNAFU?"

"One of them. Okay, Miss Smart, get moving. I need to make some calls."

Tammy changed into a casual outfit before she took a cigarette boat into Freeport Harbour, having warned the girls she was inbound. She met them in the hotel lobby.

"We're checking out?"

"Yes Lizzy, I think your job here is done."

"But?"

"You have confirmed that there is just one possible tango and no-one else has tripped your senses?"

"Yes, but?"

"So mission complete, we head back to base."

"Hey, don't I have any say?"

"No. Have you forgotten that you are now my junior?"

"I'm a civvie here!"

"And paid by the Ministry of Defence!"

"Oh, yeah."

"So, get back to your room and be ready to check out!"

Lesley was already set to depart, having received the instruction an hour earlier.

"She's packed, Ma'am, but hoped she could change your mind."

"To be honest, I half expected it. She's already got used to a hotel existence."

"If you don't mind me asking, what will she do next?"

"Exactly what she has been doing, but back on our island."

"What about me?"

"How do you fancy a little exercise? Fully armed."

"The kind of work I was trained to do?"

"Exactly."

"I'm ready for that, it's been a bit boring here."

"Great, I don't need to order you!"

"Feck, no! Just tell me where and when."

"There's a full briefing at six."

"Count me in."

Tammy walked over to the reception and confirmed that Elegant had cancelled the remaining days. She spotted Lizzie exiting the elevator with her cases so ensured the girl left her room card.

"You didn't arrive with that much luggage? Is that Louis Vuitton?"

"Err, yes."

"I'm guessing that both cases are full?"

"Umm."

They had plenty of time as the girls had their way to the dock.

"Okay, Elizabeth, how much have you spent?"

"A couple of thousand."

"How much?"

"Three thousand."

"I guess the store staff were smiling when you paid return visits?"

"Yeah, I was looked after."

"Didn't I suggest you kept a low profile?"

"I don't recall it."

"I'll take that as a 'yes'. I guess you know you'll be charged for excess on every flight home?"

"Oh."

"And possibly on a charge for disobeying orders?"

"No!"

"Then I hope you can take instruction? It would seem that you are quite capable of single-handed sinking an entire operation?"

"No!"

"What about back in Thurso when you nearly dropped me in the brown stuff?"

"I was excited."

"That excitement could have ruined my cover story."

Lesley was keeping quiet at the rear and Tammy belatedly realised her words could be overheard.

"So am I going back to Scotland with you?"

"That is to be determined and isn't up to me."

"Oh."

"So how did you afford all those clothes?"

"I had a bonus."

They'd reached the boardwalk and there were plenty of other boat users in the area so Tammy shut up, telling Lizzie to zip it. Once on board she asked Lesley to cast off, guessing that the girl was more than capable.

Thirty minutes later they approached Rams Rock, just as a chopper was dropping onto the pad. They tied the boat up and were heading up the path as the Royals disembarked.

"You weren't wearing that this morning?"

"No, your Highness, I've been on an errand and I had to get rid of a fishy smell."

Kate admonished her husband who was now blushing. "That was inappropriate, I think your granny needs to hear this?"

Tammy's latest bikini was blood red and quite revealing under a gossamer wrap, the colour was soon matching William's face.

The Royal couple, plus kiddies, were ushered away which allowed Tammy to direct her passengers.

"Lizzie, you're back in the same cabin as before, check in with Maisie for a blood test and fitness."

"Seriously?"

"Yes, and it's an order."

"Damn you."

"Thank me later. Lesley, check in with your Lieutenant but I need you and Josie at six for a briefing in the main hanger. Ask Your lieutenant to join us. You'll need swimwear."

"One piece?"

"Two."

"There's not much protection?"

"If my plan works, you'll not need to do much."

"How many are we dealing with?"

"Two. Full details later."

"Understood."

-o-

William and Kate were given a variety of demonstrations over the next few hours whilst the food was prepared.

Tammy went for a shower and dropped a sundress over a third clean bikini. She was found by the Lt Colonel almost immediately as she stepped out of her cabin.

"You're out of uniform!"

"That depends on which perspective you're looking from?"

"That's insolence, Captain!"

"Really, can't you get out of that bloody mindset? I work best with unorthodox operations, I do not give a shit about farting and marching to someone else's tune."

"You are seriously testing me, Captain."

"Tell that to his Royal Highness who spent the morning with me, and who is currently on this island because of me."

"Captain Mason invited them, don't lie."

"The invitation was made after my suggestion. Do you have the foggiest idea as to what is going on today?"

"Don't treat me like a fool, Miss Smart, you may have spent the morning with the Prince but there's no military operations in progress."

"In which case, I suggest you're in the main hangar at six for a briefing."

Wells stormed off, clearly unhappy that a junior officer was issuing instructions. Tammy wondered if he also had an issue with females? Regardless she went to find her fiancée.

"Carl, have you seen Maisie?"

"Yeah, she and Mindy flew into Freeport about half an hour ago."

"What for?"

"Hey, I think it was girl stuff. I don't get involved as I'm always wrong."

Next stop was Kimberly.

"Any update?"

"We were tracking the sub as she left El Piñata and it was on the surface for a while but it submerged after a couple of minutes. Based on our intel it's on target for an ETA of seven, but my guess is still that it'll wait for dusk."

"The welcoming party will be there before seven."

"You might reconsider, at top speed it could be early and they might not care about having the cover of darkness."

"My briefing is set for six."

"I suggest you move it up."

Tammy went in search of Josie and Lesley, finding them demonstrating unarmed combat with a couple of the SAS guys. She waited until the girls had accomplished victory, much to the delight of Kate and Lyssa, before pulling them aside.

"Briefing is five thirty and we fly out immediately after that."

"Who else?"

"I'm hoping Maisie is with us as medic."

"Haven't you heard?"

"Heard what?"

"She's refereeing this match, the little girl Mindy is running the line."

"Oh. That may be why they've gone into Freeport?"

"They called a sports shop that Mindy knows and have bought a load of kit. I got that from our Lieutenant."

Tammy really needed one of the OICA crew on board but the key issue was full deniability. She didn't want anyone questioning her authority or her uniform and protocols, so that restricted the personnel. In the end she tagged two more of the females, almost at random, and told them to get swimwear and to be at the hanger at five thirty.

She was going to miss the BBQ so grabbed a sandwich from the mess and asked for a plate to be left for her and the team. Maisie and Mindy had returned but dashed off to get themselves ready.

At five thirty Tammy and four girls gathered in the main hanger. She’d reluctantly added Commander Geoff Traeger to her group. Wells arrived just before she started the briefing, Tammy received a stare from him so she ignored him.

"Okay, our objective tonight is to capture two potential terrorists. One is formerly a special forces officer and the other is a skilled espionage operative."

Wells had sat at the end of the table and looked to be seething. Tammy pointed to the satellite view of the Royals’ holiday retreat on a large monitor.

"We're going to Kestrel, but the principals have been temporarily relocated here because of concerns for their safety. They have not been told that there is a former special operations operative and hostile espionage operative in the area, but the protection team are aware. The threat is the two individuals I mentioned but they are being supported by a crew of Mexican Cartel sailors who seemingly have a financial arrangement, plus logistical support involving a mothership and a small submersible. Our objective is to detain the two operatives. It is essential that the sub and any Mexican support crew can escape, hopefully with the understanding that they are fortunate." Tammy stated.

"Excuse me, Captain, but why is that? Why not disable or destroy the sub, taking out the personnel?" Josie asked.

Tammy nodded. "Doing that would be easier and more feasible, but the aftermath would contradict our objectives. That sub is a very valuable asset to the cartel and they would retaliate against British interests plus anyone who supported us - that includes our hosts. To be honest, the sub is of no consequence to our objectives and it suits our needs to let it escape with the crew, whilst feigning pursuit. So long as we have the pair of tangos everything else is irrelevant. One thing is absolute, do not anger the cartel and they won't be a direct threat in the future - they are being paid for this operation and have no desire to create a supply route on these islands but they will defend their existing supply chain with violence."

"Are you absolutely certain they would do so?" Wells asked.

Tammy shook her head. "No, sir. However, that sub and its tender are critical to their smuggling operations. You can, however, assume that the Coastguard will be taking an interest in that cartel and their maritime resources. Anything we learn can and should be passed to the Coasties and the local drug agency in the spirit of co-operation."

Kimberly walked in, dropping a box next to Tammy. "I need your attention."

All eyes turned and watched as Kimberly went to the monitor. "This information comes from Rodrick's contact in the D.E.A."

The monitor displayed a split screen image. A large fishing boat and strange looking submarine, side by side.

"El Piñata is the tender. She's sixty feet and has a hatch along the keel. The sub is twenty five feet. Her capacity is two tons of cargo. A suspected usual operation is the tender sits outside territorial waters. The sub deploys under the cover of darkness and runs to the shoreline. They unload the cargo, pick up either cash or other form of payment and return to the tender. This is repeated until full delivery is made. A typical shipment is twenty tons going ashore. This asset is worth millions to the cartel. The cartel is the number two cartel in this hemisphere. Makes sure that asset and its personnel return. Do whatever you like with your targets, but the cartel must recover their property." Kimberly explained.

Traeger asked. "So this cartel are a serious lot?"

Kimberly gave him a direct look. "The Latin cartels stay in a constant state of open war and terrorism with each other. The one that owns these assets are just as vicious as guerilla warlords in western Africa. If they aren't laying waste to half a city, they're conducting public relations operations. They fund community clean-ups, medical clinics, sponsor sports teams, parades, festivals; you get the idea."

"They do all that and they're bloody drug dealers?" Lesley shook her head.

Kimberly nodded. "Give us your hearts and minds; or we'll slaughter you all and burn everything to the dirt. Also the crew of the boat are known to have fed informants, Mexican Federales and even one confirmed undercover DEA agent to the sharks. They don't play. Send them running home, but intact. Otherwise they will turn their eyes to British interests. You have enough problems as it is, don't make a new one."

"So that's it?" Asked Traeger.

"No, but anything else is beyond your clearance."

With that, Kimberly turned and left the room.

Josie sat back in her chair. "Say what you want, but she sure does put it into perspective."

"Commander, if we focus on the two operatives, do you think you can convince the sub it should go elsewhere?" Tammy asked.

Traeger nodded. "Aye. Make them feel very unwelcome? I believe I can do that."

"Then that is your task."

Tammy changed the images on the monitor to show a picture of a woman that Lesley had taken. "Lesley, Josie. She is yours, but your objective is to take her alive."

Wells finally stood and changed the monitor's image to Kyle Fielding. "And him?"

"Oh, he's mine, and my aim is to take him alive. He has quite a lot to answer for and Colonel MacTaggart will definitely want to have a chat with him, Sir." Tammy said.

Wells addressed the room. "Prepare yourselves. The Captain and I have a point or two to discuss."

The group stood up and cleared the room. Traeger closed the door as he went out last.

"Alright Smart, I'll put this plainly. You seem to want to do things your way, despite this being my command and there's my arse on the line. Very well, despite my personal wishes you have support for this. Conduct your operation; If you meet with victory, I will go along with your personal agenda for the rest of the deployment. Should you fail; you'll be immediately returning to Headquarters. In restraints and under several charges, starting with insubordination and conduct unbecoming. And you won't be alone, Captain. Your Sergeant and comms officer will be going with you." Wells stated.

Tammy understood her position, so far as Wells was concerned she had no choice. Wells came from established military he knew the playbook word for word. There was also a secret rule book for special ops and classified operations, and he had to follow it. Tammy's fluid status didn't fit, but due to her connections, had to be included. The fly in the ointment was Fielding, that woman and their possible connection to True Freedom, right now there was no evidence that they had committed any offences, but he was being asked to proceed as if they had. For a soldier this didn't sit well and Tammy's position was outside of his experience. Under normal circumstances he would have already allocated her to some non-operations mundane administrative tasks. Method mattered for him, but his hands were tied.

Tammy nodded. "Very well, Sir. I will produce."

Jeremy Wells turned and began to leave, but stopped at the door and looked back. "See to it that you do, Captain."

Tammy went out and began loading a bag with weapons and other bits she would need. Tammy saw grenades and remembered what she had been told that morning. Fragmentation grenades had very little effect in water. She grabbed several and included them. Flashbang grenades were added as well. Carl walked in and went to the dive lockers.

"Carl? Are you going diving? I thought you were going to be out with everybody else." Tammy asked.

Carl shrugged. "I only watch soccer when Mindy's playing. Not really my thing."

Tammy picked up on his tone. He wasn't playful as he usually was.

"So what are you doing?" Tammy asked.

Carl finished collecting equipment and pulled a rebreather rig. "Gotta go see a dude."

"A dude, eh?" Tammy hedged.

"Yep. There's always a dude." Carl answered then began to head out. "Lots of shady characters, lots of dirty deals. Every name's an alias, in case somebody squeals. It's the lure of easy money, it's got very strong appeal."

Outside she could hear the old Huey helicopter start its engine. Carl climbed inside with the bag and rebreather, although she first wondered what he was doing. He collected the kit, but Tammy noted there wasn't a wetsuit. Lonestar sat in the pilot seat. Someone else was sitting in the back with Carl. Tammy couldn't see who the other person was as the helicopter lifted off and headed out to sea. The Puma she had been assigned sat waiting with Eddie conducting a walk around, with a clipboard in his hand.

Her team joined her.

"We're ready."

Tammy nodded and led the way to the Puma. "Let's go then."

The girls looked like they were heading for a beach, but Traeger had insisted on wearing his full uniform. Tammy had second thoughts about including him but guessed that Wells would more readily accept her plan if there was a trusted soldier in the squad.

"Rams Rock Tower, this is Tango Mike One. Requesting clearance to Freeport."

"Granted, you are cleared for departure." Pete answered.

Tammy lifted but kept low, first heading West before correcting her course.

"Captain, what are you doing?"

She'd expected a question from Traeger but was still mildly irritated.

"Can you fly a chopper?"

"No?"

"Then bloody let me deal with this."

Josie and Lesley tried to keep their giggling quiet but the other girls weren't content with the lack of civility from the Captain. Traeger shut up, folded his arms and left her to it.

Ten minutes later they dropped onto the grass behind the main house, ignoring the designated heli pad. Tammy told them to stay.

"There are four police officers on the island plus a large number of staff. They have been told to keep out of the way but please ensure you only target the two tangos."

She handed out photos that Kimberly had supplied, keeping the rest of her package out of sight.

"Commit these faces to memory. Remember that Kyle Fielding is a trained special forces officer, but screwed his commission. He has equal skills to yourselves and possibly even better, he is not a civilian and you must not treat him as such. He will expect me and, I hate to say this, it's personal. So far as the woman is concerned, she'll know of me but she is not military. Expect the unconventional. Lastly, do not kill either unless you have absolutely no choice."

"Captain?"

"Yes, Lieutenant?"

"You and these ladies are hardly dressed for warfare?"

"We are not here to enact a war, consider this a snatch squad. I'm prepared to use any aspect to my full advantage and the element of surprise is designed to wrong-foot Mr Fielding. I know the man, I know how he thinks and I know his weaknesses, whilst you have absolutely no idea what to expect."

"Did he screw you, Captain?" Traeger immediately regretted his word, but all four girls were now with Tammy.

"Yes, yes I did, but the last time the pair of us met I beat his arse and left him with the MPs. He also spent some time in the Glasshouse before being deported. His presence here constitutes a clear and present danger to you, me and the Royals. Am I clear?"

"Yes, Ma'am."

The girls echoed the Commander, Tammy was going to need every single one of them.

A member of the house staff came out. "Ma'am? What exactly do you wish us to do?"

Tammy had to think about that and asked. "Do you have some type of shelter for very bad storms?"

"The house is hurricane rated to a category-five." She replied.

Tammy shook her head. "Not exactly what I hoped for. Please take all of your staff to as secure of a space as possible. Like a panic room or such. Please remain there until Myself or Commander Traeger come for you."

"You don't expect us to hide, do you Captain?" A man asked.

Tammy recognized him as DS Jentley. Garston had informed her of the whole team, mentioning Jentley as a former member of SO15, the Met's Counter Terrorism Command, on a Special Response Team. In short; he had been a 'door-kicker'. He wasn't the sit on the side-line type.

"You and the rest of the team are to defend the residence. I know you want in, but I need you to stay back in case the targets get past us. I'll even be formal about it. DS Jentley; would you lead your team in defence of the residence and its staff, for the Crown?" Tammy asked seriously.

Jentley folded his arms and looked at her. "Well, you can't get any more formal than that. You are right. Myself and the rest of the team want in. However, we do see the need for defence of the residence and staff. Very well, request granted. Bag your quarry and do Her Majesty's services proud."

Tammy relaxed. "Thank you. We fully intend to."

After the protective detail left Tammy waved her group to follow her. She led them to an overlook of the cove with its dock.

"Commander, perhaps take a closer position that will allow you to deny the targets return to the sub while making the crew understand they are not welcome?" Tammy asked.

Traeger nodded. "I see a position right there in those rocks that fits our bill. Provided both parties react accordingly."

Tammy dug into her bag and brought out the fragmentation grenades. "I understand these kind have limited effect in water. Perhaps they may be useful to you?"

"I believe they will." Traeger grinned. "Those aren't flashbangs as well?"

Tammy nodded. "I may need distraction and disruption."

"Pass me one as well. I have a good use for it." Traeger said and stowed the munitions in his vest. "We'll start shooting after you do."

Lesley asked. "We can shoot at them, can't we?"

"Yes, but assume they wear some type of body armour. Aim for their legs and shoulders. They can't escape or resist if they can't run or handle weapons." Tammy said, remembering the terrorists from the coffee shop. "Remember, these two are professionals. They will fight until they realize the royals aren't here, then they'll try to escape. If they do, we have no idea when or where they'll try again. We have only this chance. We can't afford to fail."

The team readied their weapons, MP5s. Traeger waved Josie to follow him and they headed down to the rocks along the shoreline. Tammy waved the rest to follow her. At a point along the path from the dock to the main house she stopped them.

"Lesley, you and the other ladies take position here and wait for my signal. He will likely be leading. If he is, good. Fire between the two. Shoot bursts onto the path between them first then target her exclusively. Separate her from him. I want him to rush ahead, towards me. If he chooses to stand and fight, bring him down. Aim for his legs and shoulders." Tammy instructed.

"Yes, Ma'am." The others replied.

Tammy handed them a radio, first aid kit and security ties. "Secure her and bind any wounds. We must take them both alive. If they reach the house, Jentley and his team will take them out with prejudice. That is no good for us. Dead baddies won't talk, so we take them alive. Understood?"

The group nodded. "Yes, Ma'am."

Tammy nodded to Lesley. "Okay, you have the group. Good luck."

Tammy moved further up the path and found a hiding spot that allowed her to see the dock. She stripped out of her frock and reattached her radio to her bikini shorts. She used the frock as a mat and laid as comfortably as she could.

"Comms check, all points?"

Traeger answered first. "Waterline, check."

"Pathway, check." Lesley answered.

Tammy replied. "Pathway two, check. All checked. Begin radio silence."

Now the waiting began. The sun was setting slowly and Tammy’s desire to enjoy the scene was tainted by her need to stay alert. Another time, Tammy could admire the beauty, the Caribbean was a nice place to be posted, for sure. Slowly she raised her binoculars and scanned the water of the cove.

"Hurry up, Kyle, you have a lot to answer for this time." Tammy snarled to herself.

After twenty minutes she started to wish she had remembered to bring water, then remembered that if she drank, then she would have to relieve herself later. Likely when her targets were about to be in front of her.

She almost screeched in alarm when her phone vibrated against her leg.

"DAMN IT!" She hissed then answered quietly. "GO!"

"Ma'am. Perkins here." A comms Sergeant on Ram's Rock announced.

Tammy relaxed. "Go ahead."

"We're seeing something strange in the water of the bay there. We think it may be whatever it is you're waiting for Ma'am." Perkins informed her. "Or it is a very LARGE shark!"

Tammy raised her binoculars just as her radio clicked twice. Whatever it was, Traeger had spotted it. Tammy looked with her binoculars and saw it.

"Copy that Perkins, thank you, it's our guests. Kestrel out." Tammy said then disconnected the call.

A quick glance confirmed Lesley's group understood Traeger's signal as well. Suddenly the submarine surfaced ten metres from the dock and a pair of hatches opened on the top. A man leapt out and slid to the side, stretching his legs out to stop the vessel from bumping the dock. Two more crew popped out and these leapt onto the dock holding lines.

Two more followed as soon as the sub was alongside, Tammy watched them through the binoculars and confirmed the two were her targets. Kyle Fielding was on the lead and the woman followed closely. They ran the length of the dock before crouching, checking for detection. Kyle was talking and gesturing with his left hand. The woman nodded and they broke for the brushline and momentarily disappeared.

Tammy re-checked her MP5 and her pistol. A flashbang sat within reach as well. Within moments she could see movement on the pathway. Kyle was moving steadily up the path. The woman followed several paces behind. Tammy took up her radio and waited, silently counting down to herself. Kyle passed Lesley's group. The woman approached slowly. Tammy waited until she was directly in front of them by her estimation then keyed her radio.

"Now, Lesley!" Tammy hissed.

Lesley and her group immediately opened fire. First they fired across the path. The woman startled and turned to face the threat. Kyle turned back, surprised at the autofire. His immediate reaction was to fire in the general direction of the fire. One of Lesley's group fired back which made him instinctively back away. By that time Tammy approached Kyle from behind and lobbed the flashbang. It bounced twice and went off. Tammy had turned away and closed her eyes. Even with her eyes closed the strobe of light was bright to her. The two bangs were loud, but not deafening to her. Tammy turned back and saw Kyle disoriented. He began firing indiscriminately, forcing Tammy to drop to the ground and crawl forward.

Lesley and her group hadn't been looking toward Kyle and therefore not blinded. They took advantage of the confusion and shot the woman. One burst of bullets impacted her right shoulder, making her drop the submachine gun. Another burst hit her left leg, while the third burst torn open her right hip. She went to the ground screaming in pain. Lesly and her group practically pounced on her. Lesley secured her wrists and another secured her ankles. The third member broke open the first aid kit for bandages.

Kyle's rifle had run dry of ammunition and he was reaching for a spare magazine. Tammy charged ahead and rammed the small stock of the MP5 into the base of Kyle's skull. Kyle dropped face first to the ground. Tammy jumped atop him and grabbed his wrists, forcing them to his back and began tying them with one of the plastic ties. Down by the dock she could now hear autofire. A muffled explosion followed multiple bursts and a man was yelling in Spanish. She had no idea as to what was said, but it sounded panicked.

"GEDOFF! GEDOFFF, BITCH!" Kyle demanded, coming to and realizing he was being captured.

Tammy grabbed his feet and decided the old prank of tying his bootlaces together would work better than using the plastic ties. That was followed by searching him and removing his weapons.

Treager called over the radio. "It seems the sub crew did feel unwelcomed and have decided it would be a good idea to be elsewhere."

Tammy had to look around to find her radio before answering. "Well done!"

"TAMMY? YOU BITCH! GET OFF SO I CAN KILL YOU!" Kyle bellowed.

Tammy took her MP5 and smacked it against the side of his head. "Shut up!"

Traeger and Josie arrived. Josie stopped to help Lesley's group while Treager continued to Tammy.

"You landed a big one! Nicely done, Captain." Treager grinned and toed kyle's face with his boot. "Welcome to the Caribbean."

Kyle replied with numerous profanities. Treager rested his foot on Kyle's shoulder, pinning him on the ground. Tammy retrieved her bag.

"So the sub did leave?" Tammy asked.

Treager nodded. "Oh yes. I couldn't make out what they were saying, but I had the impression they wanted to just get away."

Tammy nodded. "I hope so. I need to go meet with Jentley and let them know we're secure. Could you and the ladies bring these two to the helo?"

A few minutes later Tammy met them at the Puma, having collected her frock and weaponry.

"How is your prisoner?" Tammy asked.

Lesley looked concerned. "Maybe we did too good of a job on her? She needs immediate medical attention."

Tammy's phone rang so she answered it. "Smart, here."

"As you've answered your phone, I assume your operation has concluded. How did you fare?" Wells asked.

Tammy answered. "I have good news and bad news, Sir. Good news; we captured both and the submarine has vacated the area."

"I see. And the bad news?" Wells prompted.

Tammy replied. "The woman needs medical attention. Multiple gun shot wounds."

"Return to base, we'll see what can be done here." Wells instructed then asked. "The royals will be able to return to Kestrel, yes?"

"Oh, absolutely. No collateral damage at all. They shouldn't know unless someone tells them." Tammy said.

Wells sighed in relief. "Good. Return to base, Captain. Congratulations."

"We will be there soon, Sir. Smart, out." Tammy said and disconnected then turned to her group. "Load up, we're returning to base."

Kyle started to complain loudly as he was loaded into the helo. Tammy retrieved a kit and jabbed him. He was now a dead weight, but a quiet dead weight.

“Sleep well.”

She took her phone and asked that Josie took a photo of herself and Fielding. This was immediately sent to the Colonel with two words “Job Done.”

{Continues}

Tammy Beginnings follows sixteen year old Tom Smart as he starts his voyage of self discovery. This is an expanded Preludes story.
Larry a bullied sophomore in High School finds two new friends in his Home EC. class. Together the boy and two girls design costumes in anime maid style and provide treats for a booth at the mall. The trio discover a real knack for treat-making and win over not only their school, but also the town in a sweet coming of age story.
up
343 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

What?? No Cliffhanger?

Thanks SOO much for an entertaining read.

An Avid Reader

Cliffhanger

shiraz's picture

An early draft had a sheer rock face of a cliffhanger ... one of us took pity on the readership!

Shiraz

- - - -

Paperback cover Boat That Frocked.png

Thanks!

joannebarbarella's picture

Shiraz and Snowfall, for another action-packed episode. I particularly liked the selfie sent to Wells at the end. That was middle finger to the Colonel.

Yup.

WillowD's picture

I got a giggle out of that.

Good point

WillowD's picture

She could have sent it to Colonel McTaggart or Lt. Colonel Wells. I personally think it would make more sense for her to send it to McTaggart since her sending it to Wells could be viewed as a subordinate "I told you so" message.

I think it is common to refer to Lt. Colonel's as Colonel's in an informal setting. Just as I think it is common to refer to a First Lt. or a Second Lt. as Lieutenant. But I could easily be wrong on this.

I did too!

smdani4mm's picture

Dani

SmDani4

“Job Done.”

fantastic

DogSig.png

Yay! It's up. And it's awesome.

WillowD's picture

I spent ages checking and checking to see if this chapter was up yet. I'm kind of addicted to the Tammyverse stories and eagerly look for each chapter as they come out.

I think this is going to be a major coup for Captain Smart. She created a plan, was in charge of the military operation and it was pulled off perfectly with all of the major and minor objectives achieved, barring possibly one. And it looks like the female target will probably survive her gunshot wounds and be up for a little interrogation. She is rather fortunate that OICA will probably not be doing the interrogating.

All in all, I think that Tammy has proved she is a capable combat officer. Rather unexpected given her lack of training in that area, but very welcome. She is certainly adding to her legend. As her career grows she reminds me more and more of James Bond.

I find it interesting that the female target is only referred to as the woman, never by name. Is she the person they were expecting to show up or is the woman captured unknown to them? They have a picture of the woman they were expecting so it would be noticed pretty quickly if they captured someone else but they might not have noticed in the first minute or two and the chapter ended right after their capture.

"Little Interrogation"

The wretched creature would do well by quickly telling all she knows. Lady Mason's methods are decidedly unpleasant, but the return of Stephanie Capezio to Ram's Rock would be likely worse.

G/R

The Black Badges Are Off Island

But Anna is there for Mindy's sake and she has probably forgotten more than Maria DeMarco and Stephanie Capezio know combined. I'm sure that Anna would welcome the opportunity to teach the OICA the finer arts of creative interrogation through organic herbal "remedies".

Woman Identified to Tammy, but not the Brits.

smdani4mm's picture

"Ever heard of one Lucinda Olsonova, Tammy-girl?" Krystel asked.

In Episode 9, OCIA identified the woman to Tammy Only. But since this didn't come through the Brit Chain of information, the need to refer to her only as the woman kept the OPSEC Secure.

Tammy had a slip (referring to the array - the massive computer), but has also learned.

Dani

SmDani4

Poor Fielding.

Will this be Tammy's first glimpse of seeing how the OICA question their captures. Perhaps but I feel the Brits will get him to keep the residents out of it. We shall see.

And when do they learn that when you are down, never request something worse for your jailers. "GET OFF SO I CAN KILL YOU"

I don't think Lyssa et al.'ll

I don't think Lyssa et al.'ll let Tammy watch them butchering a prisoner. I think they'd only do that to teach her these methods, and AFAIK Tammy wouldn't do that. Now if Lyssa would dissect Fielding there might be problems, because a missing ex-soldier might ring some alarm bells in New Zealand (provided they care), and letting him survive and go afterwards means he'll probably talk to the press.

Methinks a light bulb is beginning to brighten in Jeremy's head

Lt. Col. Wells is stuck between a (Ram's) rock and a hoard place with Tammy. Fortunately, he seems somewhat willing to give her the latitude to do her job. Since Tammy was successful in her mission, I believe he will keep to his agreement with her. I also believe that in the near future Sean MacTaggart will have a bit of a chat with him about Tammy. As Wells is part of Broadsword, he will need to know more about Tammy's authority to carry out black bag operations. He may not be comfortable with the idea that someone who is essentially an intelligence operative is using a military cover, but he will come to terms.

Carl and "The Dude"

Carl is going diving with someone Tammy can't see and it involves a dude. Ut Oh.
Why do I have this niggling fear that something will happen, either to the min-sub, it's tender or both once they are both well away from the Eastern Caribbean? Perhaps tracking devices so that the boats can be intercepted when engaging in drug trafficking or, given the propensities of the OICA folk, time delayed limpet mines. What happens to the sub and its crew if something bad befalls the tender? Lots of possibilities, and Cliff can hold on to the sides of the rock face again!

Ladies, keep this story line going, you are both among my favorite authors but together you are even better!

I think this sounds more like

I think this sounds more like The Dude did something he shouldn't have done, like fucking and / or killing little children, or helping terrorists to conduct operations in the neighbourhood of Ram's Rock island.

Eliminating the mini sub looks good on paper, but in the end it achieves little other than making a Mexican cartel angry. What is usually much better is to hide an espionage package at the hull in order to gather intel. In order to take out a big cartel like this usually requires a big coordinated raid on the cartel's strongholds.

Photo

Tammy should have held a fishing rod and a line attached to Fielding in the photo. And a board displaying the length and weight of the "catch" >:->

Thx for another nice chapter^^

A full re-read

WillowD's picture

I just did a full re-read of Royal Retreat. This isn't the first time I've done this either. I find this story very addictive. Love ya both Shiraz and Snowfall.

Bet Wells takes credit for the capture plan

Jamie Lee's picture

Wells is a political hack, military style. Unless he comes up with the plans, he won't stick his neck out for anyone. Just like what he told Tammy, he'll back her plan if it's successful, and arrest her and others if it fails; though he might find it difficult to do anything more than arrest her. So, because Tammy's plan was a success Wells will likely take full credit for the operation when he files his report. And more than likely, it will be disputed by those who know better, and Rams Rock.

Kyle and his girl Friday never learned what Carl told Tammy about making plans, or they would have been ready when their initial plans went FUBAR. And because the didn't learn what Carl told Tammy, both are in custody and heading for a nice concrete room.

Others have feelings too.