Royal Retreat Part 7: Gone Fishing

Printer-friendly version
Royal Retreat  

Tammyverse Book 13
 

 

Royal Retreat
Part 7
Gone Fishing
Shiraz & Snowfall

 

 
Please note this is a work of fiction and any references to real people, real institutions or real heavily armed military units are for artistic purposes only!
 

Tammy returned to the living room and the concern on her face was obvious. She was surprised to see Krystel there.

"You look like your world just went to shit."

"True Freedom, they've arrived at the hotel in Freeport where Lizzie is staying."

"Feck!" A typical British voice was heard approaching from the hallway.

Lt Colonel Jeremy Wells and one of the Royals' Close Protection officers had now reached the pair. Tammy quickly briefed them.

"We have good evidence that at least two, possibly four, True Freedom operatives are on an adjacent island and I would class their presence as a viable threat. If you weren't already aware, True Freedom were responsible for the damage to our internet connections last Christmas and the closure of UK airspace two years before that."

"And you identified them?" A man in the travel party asked.

Tammy looked over. "It's DC Garston isn't it?"

"I’m now DS Garston, but how do you know me?" The man asked Tammy.

"We have a mutual friend; DCI Sophie Grieves. Returning to your original question, I identified them from a photograph one of my colleagues has sent. Two are known associates of Sharon Gainsborough. Sharon is, as far as I know, currently in prison pending trial on terrorist charges."

"What would you say is the risk to the Royals?"

"None whilst they are on Ram's Rock Island, DS Garston. The four will be kept under observation for now and an eye will be kept for any others who may be in the area. I'll try to get names for the four."

The DS went to brief his own team. "Captain, this is outside my expertise."

"Lt Colonel, I worked on the operation to take down True Freedom last Christmas so it's within my experience but I'll need some help and we'll need to flag this to London immediately. I would like to get some more assets to the hotel - preferably a male and female pair who are trained in counter surveillance and explosives? My operative can't do this alone."

"I will see who we have, well done Captain."

Tammy’s phone had pinged but she kept that to herself for now.

Krystel tapped Tammy's shoulder and put her lips to Tammy's ear. "With me. Now."

Tammy followed Krystel back to the hangars, entering the main hangar. They stopped at a wall.

"From here does not exist. You tell no one." Krystel gave her a firm look. "This is where you say Aye, Ma'am."

"Aye, Ma'am."

A hidden panel was opened to reveal a biometric lock. Tammy couldn't see what was done, but a moment later the wall itself moved outward.

"Come on down, Tammy, I'll need your phone."

They descended a dark stairwell and through a second biometric door. Tammy stopped and looked around in awe. Behind a thick glass wall was a super array. The main room itself had screens on one wall, white boards on another and maps on another. A large table dominated the center of the room with blocks stacked up at the corner of it. The surface of the table was a dry-erase board like those on the walls.

To Tammy the immediate space resembled the incident room at Room 40 in London but on a different scale. Condensed and streamlined. It wasn't for catering to the comfort of high class pricks and those who argued policy, this was a definitely a War room.

Tammy looked to the glass wall and behind it. "Is that an array?"

"Yes it is and it's about to start work. Where's your girl?" Krystel asked.

"Ocean Front Hostel." Tammy answered. "It was cheap and Lizzie doesn't really have an expense budget. I gave her some money before she flew out, but she’s funding her hotel out of her own account for now."

Krystel was working her keyboard and the main monitor displayed the inside of a building. "I have their lobby cameras. Backing up the footage."

"THERE!" Tammy said as a group of men appeared.

Krystel adjusted to a still of the men facing the camera and highlighted their faces. "Running recognition."

"This place is incredible. I had no idea you had anything like this." Tammy commented.

Krystel continued to work. "Yeah, and you're going to forget it as soon as you walk out."

The radio next to Krystel called out Rodrick's voice. "Anybody seen Captain Smart?"

Krystel grabbed it and answered. "She went to the Head and took her phone. I'll tell her to find you when she comes out."

"Copy that." Rodrick answered.

The main monitor then displayed the men individually with photos from identification documents then file photos. A moment later a printer began feeding paper. Krystel grabbed the pages and stuck them into a folder.

A phone rang and Krystel answered it on speaker. "Go."

"I take it Tammy is with you?" Kimberly asked.

Krystel answered. "Aye, Ma'am. Her girl is running solo at Ocean View without a budget. Can you call them?"

"No problem. What's the story on the bad guys?"

Krystel answered. "Tango Foxtrot assets. I'll send Tammy up with a file. Do I make them uncomfortable, unwelcome or ready to disappear?"

"Ready to disappear, but we'll let the Brits do it. Send me a copy. Out." Kimberly replied then disconnected.

Krystel escorted Tammy to the exit. She quickly rushed to the hanger restrooms. She took advantage of the facilities and was greeted by a welcoming committee when she came out.

“Finally!”

Krystel had come out as well and was stood with the owner of the remark. “Hey, Rodrick, you try having a smaller bladder.”

“Requisition a retrofit, Tammy.”

Tammy walked up to him, holding the folder and pocketing her phone. “With respect, I used my time in there coming up with a plan. Last I heard, the males of this species couldn’t multi-task.”

"Kim lies too." Rodrick snarked.

A cough from the Lieutenant Colonel brought the jesting to a halt.

“If you’re done, Captain?”

“Sir, I believe we’re in a position to outline a plan and move personnel into a forward position? I needed somewhere to examine restricted information and that space fitted my requirement.” She pointed at the folder. “Perhaps we can find a suitable space?”

“Indeed.”

“Also, Sir, I would like to involve our hosts and their assets. They know the islands and waters around here better than anyone on our team and may be able to identify issues or suggest improvements.”

“I’ll remind you that I get to sign off any plan?”

Tammy bit into her tongue. She nodded but thought better than to answer back. Their hosts were very capable of mounting an offensive on the terrorists but had allowed Tammy to run with it – for now. What she hoped was that Wells’ remark was aimed at the others present and not at herself, but she had no way to know just now and the Lt Col could primarily be looking to protect his own arse at Tammy’s expense.

They reconvened in the British briefing room, where Tammy was instructed to lead the meeting. She recognised most, but not all faces in the room.

“Good evening everyone, we have a problem. Four terrorists belonging to the European group True Freedom have been identified in Freeport. We have them under limited surveillance, but my operative has no backup and no weapons so is keeping a low profile. We need a multi-faceted plan in order to remove the threat, a threat that could scupper our whole operation.”

She paused, reaching for a bottle of water on the table.

“My first concern is to support my operative, one who has to sleep in the same hotel and is neither an intelligence officer nor special forces member. They are, however, a member of the British Armed Forces and can follow orders. The second objective is to remove these operatives from the area. That can be achieved with or without malice and I suggest we develop plans to address both scenarios.”

Tammy took another sip whilst checking for any interruptions, especially from the Lieutenant Colonel.

“The subjects were last seen in the foyer of a hotel in Freeport with easy access to the harbour and thankfully we now have names for all four, but not much more. One of the quartet is known to be an explosives expert and another is described as a master boatman. The other two are unknown to intelligence agencies at this time.

"We believe all speak both German and English however they have been heard talking in German and this may be in order to disguise their conversation. What we do already know is that they flew on separate ticketing over two days via Havana and London, only meeting at the hotel. We have to assume that they have access to firearms and explosives. Any questions?”

There weren’t any, but Lt Col Wells took Tammy to one side, out of earshot of the rest of the British contingent present.

“You have a plan, Captain?”

“Indeed, Lt Colonel. We need eyes on the quartet so I would like three pairs to travel as tourists. One pair can meet my operative, the other pairs don’t. Added to that I would like two of our boats, each with four personnel, available at very short notice, perhaps supported by a mother ship?”

“This is very resource demanding, Captain?”

“Yes, Sir, but I envisage we’ll be able to stand down within forty-eight hours.”

“On what basis?”

“These operatives won’t want to be exposed or identified and will be under orders to get their job done then get out. It won’t take long for them to realise the Principals are on Kestrel Island - but what if they’re not?”

“What do you mean?”

“Once we have our personnel in place, perhaps we can send two helos across to Kestrel Island, leaving one there then fly to Freeport for some supplies? The helo crew should keep quiet but ensure the Royal Standard is flying from the helo; it’s a little subterfuge but it could spur them into moving at a time when we’re ready and perhaps they are not.”

“So you’ll need half of the defence force to carry this out?”

“For two days.”

“And what of the Royals?”

“They stay here, on Ram's Rock, for an extra day or so. I doubt that will be objectionable?”

“So you speak for the Royal Family now?”

Tammy laughed. “Seriously? Feel free to ask the Prince.”

“I don’t expect to be spoken to like that?”

“Then don’t ask me a dumb question, I did warn you back in London that I don’t like being played.”

“Well, I’m minded to refuse your plan.”

“It should go to the Colonel, and Sir Thomas Addington.”

“I’m the ranking officer and I decide where this goes. You will do as I say.”

“Sir, if you refuse to authorise this plan, or any similar plan, to neutralize the threat, then there are two possible alternative outcomes: Firstly that you accept the requirement to closely monitor the threat and hope our Principals have a safe vacation. With that option there is a very real risk of being wrong-footed? Alternatively you send them back to London without a vacation, just to be safe. A wrong call would never be forgiven by Her Majesty, by the press or by the British Public. To put it simply, they will move when either they're ready or we're not."

“That is not your decision to make.”

“If you recall, I was not here to be your Captain, I was here to provide support to your team and the hosts. I haven’t been removed from that second role as it’s way above your pay scale.”

“I’ll have you confined to barracks for that attitude – I was also warned.”

"Sir, I could just quit and there would be nothing that you could do about it. That leaves me with the assets and ability to carry out what you won't authorise regardless of your objections."

“What about your Commission?”

“I don’t have one – my rank is irrelevant and, so far as my work here is concerned, non-essential. Oh, before I forget, Sir Thomas has already taken my plan to the PM for authority to use malice against these terrorists.”

“You went over my head?”

“Strictly speaking I went around it, my operative was already in contact with him.”

“So my hands are tied, I won’t forget this Captain Smart!”

“If it helps, have a word with Sean MacTaggart, that's if he doesn’t call you first? Anyway, let’s go and select the men and women who are going to carry this plan out?”

Wells tactfully sat and allowed Tammy to proceed. He was temporarily distracted by his phone and Tammy saw him shake his head at the message.

"Okay everyone, I believe we have just received permission to take out this team with whatever means are necessary. It is essential that, however this is achieved, that there is no implication that the Royals, the British Government nor anyone present on this island are involved. A clean and swift execution of the task is an absolute requirement. Do you understand?"

A few laughs at Tammy's use of language but many "Aye, Ma'am" responses.

"Excellent, have the Lieutenants decided on operational teams and back up teams?"

She called them forward and made notes, fully accepting that the squad leaders knew their team members better than her. Tammy made one change, however.

"I'd like Lance Corporals Gaynor & Taylor to liaise directly with my existing team member in Freeport and to be free to fly out this evening."

"You originally asked for male and female pairings, Ma'am?"

"I did but from my experience three girls can get closer to a target without spooking them. I still want two mixed pairs for the resort support teams though. Secondly, I want two crews of four in response boats."

She spotted Rodrick lurking at the back of the room and waved him forward.

"Sir, I am suggesting that we could do with a mothership that can sit off Freeport? Would you have something available?"

Rodrick nodded. "For the go-fast boats; use could use mine and Carl's. For a support vessel use the cruiser."

Commander Traeger named off the crews for the go-fast boats. Lieutenant Vance selected personnel for the support boat but not a pilot for it.

"Carl can skipper the cruiser, Geoff. Pete can fly your girls in." Rodrick suggested then called over his radio. "Eddie, one mike launch on the Bell. Pete fly in Smart's people. Carl get to the Cruiser and prep to support the go-fast boat crews. Lay off the hotel ten miles."

Three responses of "Aye, Aye, Skipper." followed.

Tammy nodded and took the allocated six, four women and two men, to one side for a briefing.

"My contact at the Ocean Front Hostel is a Flight Lieutenant of the RAF on detachment to me, but will hopefully shortly be transferred to my unit, Broadsword. She is here undercover as a civilian and only has basic training in self defence and firearms. She is also not trained in intelligence or surveillance so is somewhat out of her depth. Having said that, she's coping and is sending me useful intel.

She pointed at the four who would survey the harbour area.

“You should not interact with the girls who are with my contact and should make no attempt to speak to any of the three. You don’t need to know what she looks like or her name. We’ll get you into a separate hotel for that reason. All communication is to go back to here. Civvies now please.”

Tammy dismissed the four.

"Now - Gaynor & Taylor, your first names please?"

"Lesley Gaynor,"

"Josie Taylor."

"Okay, Lesley and Josie, I'd like you to fly out as soon as possible to meet Lizzie, Elizabeth Harrison. We'll get you booked into the same hotel as her. I'll need you dressed as civvies in thirty minutes! We'll organise a charge card for you."

Kimberly spoke up. "No need. You'll have pre-paid two day stays within ten minutes. Your asset is already taken care of on that front as well."

The girls offered no questions and darted back to their bunks to change out of their green vest and shorts.

Tammy was feeling the pressure but thankfully she had support. Fifteen minutes later a helo flight had been prepared but Lesley Gaynor was approaching with a concerned look.

"Sorry, Ma'am. but what do we do about weapons? In case we have to defend your operative?"

"Doesn't the armourer have pistols?"

"None to spare for us, we were assigned MP5 rifles. Certainly no good for this work."

"Let's see what the locals can offer?"

"Sir, we seem to be short some arms." Tammy said to Rodrick and indicated the two women.

Rodrick whistled then called out. "Pete! Get these two strapped!"

"Aye Aye!" Pete called back and waved the three to him. He went over to a cage and opened it.

Two pistols were selected.

"Sig Sauer P224, chambered for .357 rounds." Pete informed them then pulled two cylinders and screwed them onto the barrels."Silencers. And you get five magazines of jacketed hollowpoints. Will that do?"

"Yes, Sir." Both answered.

Pete nodded. "Get your shit wired, we launch in five mikes."

The men weren't happy to be issued knives, but Tammy corrected them quickly.

"Where are you going to hide a firearm if you're in shorts and a sweaty shirt? The girls will have bags."

-o-

By eight that evening all six had left Ram's Rock Island and were on their way to Freeport.

"Okay Lizzie, you'll have support soon. Keep an eye out for a red head and a blonde, the red head has an anchor tattoo on her right hip."

"Thanks Tammy, I'm not really trained for this."

"I know, we all know, but you've done a great job so far. What's the latest?"

"They've been down to the commercial pontoons and it seems they're after one or two fast boats. My German isn't great but I'm sure they have two European boat licences between them."

"Any idea when they're sailing?"

"Tomorrow sometime."

"Okay, Lesley and Josie should be landing in half an hour. We'll try to get you back soon."

"Some money would be helpful? My RAF salary didn't go into my account."

"I'll get onto it. Don't worry about the room though."

It was well gone midnight back in the UK so Tammy thought it would be inappropriate to start calling people. She dropped Colonel Sean MacTaggart a text message querying Lizzie's pay. He phoned a few seconds later.

"They did WHAT?"

"No salary, uncle, and she's stuck on a tropical island fending for herself!"

"Not forgetting she's also found four terrorists as well as identifying an undiplomatic idiot. I'll make some loud noises and we'll make a payment to her as soon as possible."

"Thank you."

"Now, where are the Royals?"

"Staying here tonight, as planned, but most of the close protection team has left for Kestrel Island. We'll relocate the Royals in the morning just as soon as it's safe. They are being well looked after."

"I don't doubt it. Mason and his staff may seem like they're mad, but they know exactly what they're doing. Jeremy knows that, but he wants to play it safer now that he's in charge. I need to make some calls then get to sleep."

"Thank you, Sir, and good night."

Tammy decided she'd done enough and went to have a shower before dropping into a micro skirt and barely-there top. She was a woman, not a uniform, and needed to remind herself that she was entitled to downtime. Plus, she may have to go onsite; better to do so undercover, as it were.

Lizzie called at ten.

"They've picked up the keys for their boats, and all four are in black."

"Can you describe the boats?"

"Josie has gone to take a photo, she would send it to you but she hasn't got a secure phone. I'll forward it.

"Okay, where are the other teams?"

"No idea, I was told not to talk to them?"

"Damn, okay, my fail."

"They've pulled their lines in, they're off."

Tammy phoned Wells to meet her before heading for the hanger. "I need help!"

"The boss is up, we'll get him for you."

"Is there any decent coffee?"

"Sure, it's good for the late shift!"

Wells looked Tammy up and down. "You're out of uniform!"

"I had a chance of a shower after marching up and down and saluting all day but threw this on to be ready to go on-site. If you're more interested in criticising me than the operation update I have then fine - but you'll take responsibility for any personnel lost."

Coffee arrived, with Rodrick, a minute or so later. Tammy brought him up to date.

"Go-fast boats; white with three blue stripes. Everybody knows them, those belong to Johnny Goodman. A.K.A Johnny Goodtimes. Crew all in black, don't seem too bad to me, Tammy."

"Yeah, but I think we need to ask them a few questions - preferably before the boats sink in unexplained circs?"

"About that."

"Problem?"

"Capture your bad guys, keep the boats intact. Johnny's an honest guy, running a legit business. He's a friend." Rodrick said.

"Works for me."

Wells didn't look happy as he looked at Rodrick. "So many ways this could go wrong, Mason."

"I'm about to get us some privacy." Rodrick said then began dialling his phone on speaker and said when the call connected. "BENNY STILES! You moose-lipped cornflake-looking cock-bite! How's it going?"

The voice on the other end groaned. "Not YOU. What the hell do you want?"

"Oh nothing big; just two drug-running go-fast boats sunk." Rodrick answered.

Wells eyes went wide.

Benny growled. "WHAT go-fast boats?"

"The same ones you sunk two years ago." Rodrick chuckled.

Benny was silent for a minute then asked. "Why?"

Rodrick grinned and replied. "Because there's a box of Inez's special reserve in it for you. I'll even throw in two bottles of screech for the mortar crew to pop off a pair of flares."

"You really are an asshole, Ramrod. Fine, deal. When?" Benny asked.

Rodrick smiled in triumph. "About two hours. Make it real good and they'll be delivered around nine-hundred by somebody cute and sassy in a bikini and high heels."

"Your wife'll kill you first." Benny replied.

"Not the wife." Rodrick looked at Tammy and grinned. "Somebody else."

"DEAL!" Benny replied and disconnected.

Rodrick turned to Wells. "And now; everybody and their boat-owning brother will stay away for the rest of the night. Courtesy of the U.S. Coast Guard."

"I forgot how mental you are Rodrick." Wells shook his head.

Rodrick asked. "You mean bribing a Coast Guard cutter to pretend to sink two imaginary boats?"

"Imaginary?" Tammy asked.

Rodrick nodded. "I guess you didn't catch it. I told him the boats they sank two years ago. I also told him to make it good. Here's what they're going to do. They'll get on the radio, open channel, and make a lot of fuss. Calling out to two boats. Everybody with a radio on will hear it. They'll order them to heave-to, then caution them to heave-to or be fired upon. Announce they gave warning shots and repeat the order. Then they finally announce they are firing on the boats. Everybody hears all this. Those out of port are going to see two flares light up the sky. Flares so the boats can be seen and targeted."

"And while all that is going on?" Wells asked.

Tammy smiled. "We'll be taking care of our terrorist problem. Also, the boats hired by the news crews will go back to port. They won't want to be mistaken for a drug boat. Word will spread and all rentals will deny letting any more boats out for the same reason."

"This is the Bermuda Triangle, Jeremy. Strange goes on here. Pay-offs, rip-offs and things nobody saw." Rodrick grinned.

When Tammy finished finalizing plans, she was intercepted by Kimberly and given a small black case.

"You know how to use this by now." Kimberly said

Tammy opened the case to see four pre-filled syringes. "Definitely. Pop off the cap and jab them in the arse. I just forgot what you call it."

"Twilight Zone. Return what you don't use and don't discard the used." Kimberly instructed and nodded for her to go.

-o-

By 2100 various crews were heading out. Tammy and Maisie were flown into Freeport by Pete, passing low over Kestrel Island before swinging towards Freeport. Their flight was adorned by pennants bearing the Royal Crest, clearly visible as they overflew the harbour.

Tammy's phone rang as she disembarked.

"Was that one of our choppers, Tammy?"

"Yes, I just landed."

"Well, the two boats are back - they just tied up."

"Okay, where are you?"

"At the end of the pontoons."

"Walk towards me, we'll find a bar."

It was another fifteen minutes before they met up, Lizzie was still in company with Lesley and Josie.

"Okay, what did you see?"

"It seems they went out to get a feel for the boats. They weren't stressed when they returned and were chatting in German; Lesley?"

"Do you mind if we call you Tammy, Ma'am?"

"I'm hardly an officer at the moment. You've met Maisie before?" Tammy put her right hand forward so her engagement ring could be seen, Maisie followed suit.

"Oh, congratulations! When's the wedding?"

"Later in the year, probably on a beach. What were they saying?"

"That the test went well and they should get some rest before their equipment is delivered."

"That sounds like an early hours departure, with hardware?"

"My thoughts too, Tammy. What are we going to do?"

"We're going to let them sail, exactly as planned."

"Ma'am?"

"Girls, we don't want to create an incident here or the authorities might start taking a serious look towards Ram's Rock Island? Your role here is to monitor the four we know about and to watch out for any one else."

"Understood."

"How come you speak German, Lesley?"

"I was based in Germany for a couple of years before I joined my current lot. I made an effort to learn the language and culture so I could spend time in any of the cities in North West Germany, enjoying the nightlife."

"Nightlife?"

"Gay bars, I'm lesbian."

"Oh, okay."

Tammy spotted a snarl from Josie. "What's up?"

"Nothin'."

"Let me guess, you're not supposed to have relationships in the, er, unit?"

"No, or at least not bloody announce it."

"I'm cool, and feel free to enjoy each-others' company."

"What about the other guys?"

"They are being picked up shortly, the plan has changed, so your privacy is guaranteed until at least the morning."

"Really?"

"Yes. Let's hit the hotel bar to see if we can learn anything new?" She reached for Maisie's hand, making it obvious. "Josie, Lesley, you too!"

Lizzie led the way but they entered the lobby of Ocean View.

"I thought you were in the Ocean Front Hostel?"

"The lobby caught me a few hours back and told me my bill had been settled, in fact they said they would put some money back on my card, and I was being moved here. My room would be relocated for me."

Lizzie went to the desk to collect her key card and there seemed to be a problem. Tammy left the other girls and walked across.

"Ah, hello Miss Smart, welcome."

"Thank you, what's the problem?"

"We've allocated you the penthouse suite with the harbour view, per request by Elegant Executive."

"Excellent, we'll need five cards?"

"Of course."

"Do you have any luggage?"

"My partner and I have just our carry-on bags. I think the other girls were in the front?"

"We were told about them as well, we'll send a porter to collect their bags."

"No worries, the girls have some personal items that they would rather take care of."

Tammy sent Lesley and Josie to empty their room after making sure they had access to the penthouse suite.

The view was excellent and they could easily see the harbour although binoculars or a camera would be needed for a close view of the furthest pontoons.

Tammy decided to shower and change into PJs before the other girls returned, suggesting to Maisie and Lizzie they did the same. She called room service and asked for jugs of non-alcoholic fruit cocktail and nibbles to be sent up. That arrived about the same time as Lesley and Josie.

"Okay girls, we're going to have a pyjama party and then get four hours sleep. Get your carbs and vitamin C then find a bed."

-o-

Tammy's encrypted radio beeped at 2.30am. She reached in her bag and answered.

"Tango Mike to Command, responding?"

"There is activity on the pontoon."

Tammy lifted her camera and pointed the long lens to the far side of the harbour.

"I see them, four on two boats plus there's two more males on the pontoon."

"Confirmed, we have video."

Tammy was puzzled. "You do? How?"

"A drone. Blackstar is piloting it. He said it's an older one. It's giving us great imagery all the same."

"Oh. Carry on then. We'll get ready here." Tammy replied and signed off.

Tammy took her photos but the conditions weren't ideal. She went in search of the other girls.

"Action time! Get your weapons. Lesley you're with me. Maisie and Josie, wait here for five minutes then head out. Maisie has a radio for you. It's a little early for jogging but we're stupid Brits adjusting to jetlag, okay?"

"Yes, boss."

"Lizzie, I have a two-way radio for you too. Stay here and photograph anything that looks out of place, we'll edit ourselves out of any official record. Oh, and use that special receiver to look for anything new."

"Understood."

Tammy and Maisie had chosen a logo'd Ms Fitness PT kit in bright blue and white, the SAS girls had plain white t-shirts and green shorts. Tammy's bum bag was a little heavy but necessary.

Down on the street they started to jog down to the harbour access road, spotting a dark minivan parked partly obscured. Tammy couldn't see anyone in it but assumed there was.

She reached for her phone and sent Maisie a text.

"Need a distraction - minivan on access road."

"Ack."

Tammy and Lesley ran past the minivan, but kept as far away as the roadway allowed. They stopped as they rounded a corner. In the near distance Tammy could see the two males returning from the pontoon and the minivan driver had now slid open the side door to receive them.

Maisie and Josie however were having a full on argument barely twenty metres from the van and caused the two males to move away as Josie went to fake slap Maisie.

Tammy took the opportunity to move up to the van, her silencer was fixed on the P224 as a precaution but she stabbed him with one of the syringes that Kimberly had provided. The driver, caught unaware, was quickly pulled into the open door once Lesley moved up.

Maisie and Josie now attacked the two males, knocking them down and unconscious. Tammy joined them to pull the pair to the van before using cable ties to secure them.

A search of the van revealed a few weapons, as did a search of the males. One started to come round.

"What?"

"How about you tell us what you supplied to the Germans?"

"I know nothing!"

Tammy pointed her P224 at the other male, also now stirring. The Silencer was very obvious.

"Let me guess, he's your business partner in the coffee trade?" Tammy asked prodding his crotch with the muzzle.

"Err."

"Once again; what did you supply?"

"Two grenade launchers, a dozen grenades, four Uzis and a box of magazines. Nine millimeter Luger ammunition."

"What were they planning to do?"

"It doesn't matter to us."

"Typical. Jab him." Said and tossed Maisie an syringe.

Maisie injected him, while Tammy injected the last man.

"Sleep well, now let's lock up the van, they can be found later."

They ran around the block to generate a sweat before returning to the hotel.

Tammy used her radio.

"Tango Mike to Command."

"Go ahead Tango Mike."

"The suppliers were somewhat helpful. A pair of grenade launchers, a dozen grenades and a brace of Uzis were handed over."

"Understood. Intercept teams and support vessel are in position, out."

She next phoned Pete. "Are you awake?"

"I am now."

"Okay, Maisie and myself are coming to see you. We'll be an hour."

"Understood."

The girls showered and Tammy opted for a summer frock over a bikini.

"What are we doing?"

"Well, Josie, how about the pair of you plus Lizzie enjoy the penthouse for the next few days, all paid, keeping an eye out for anyone else who wants to upset us?"

"Just like that?"

"Yes, it's how I work. I'll pop back in a couple of days to see how it's going."

"Oh, what about our unit?"

"You're detached to my command for the duration of this operation. As far as I see it, you'll return to Ram's Rock Island when the principals have left the area."

"Oh, thank you!"

"No trouble. Maisie, let's go watch some fireworks.”

Tammy and Maisie arrived at the heliport and went straight to the Bell. Pete saw them and began start up. By the time the girls were strapped in, he had clearance to take off. Minutes later he slowed down then hovered over a pair of boats. The same boats Tammy had observed.

Pete radioed in. "RamAir Helo to Goodtime Charters. Come in Goodtime Charters. You there Johnny?"

"Yeah. I'm here. Pete?" A tired voice answered.

"Affirmative. Johnny did you charter your Chris-craft go-fast boats?" Pete asked.

Johnny replied. "Yeah. Why do you ask?"

"Something's going on Johnny. I'm hovering over them now. No crew or dive flags in sight. Looks like they're lashed together but not anchored. Better come out and check on them." Pete said and gave the coordinates.

After a few profanities Johnny answered back. "I'm on the way. Bastards, if they damaged my boats; I hope they drowned!"

"Good luck, Johnny. Out." Pete said then resumed his heading and said to Tammy. "Now Johnny gets his boats back in one piece. No muss, no fuss."

Thirty minutes prior, as reported to Tammy:

A drone was keeping a close eye on the pair of Chris-craft Stingers as they left the berth and exited the harbour. The drivers were clearly unfamiliar with the local waters as they were fixed on the instrument panels. Meanwhile the passengers were doing their best as lookouts for anything ahead, but without night-vision equipment they could only see so far. They could see a cruiser that seemed to be dead-ahead and closing. A voice called out to them.

"Ahoy! Unidentified vessels, heave-to! HEAVE-TO! THIS IS THE COAST GUARD! HEAVE-TO AND BE IDENTIFIED!"

Before they could react and evade, two more boats leaped from the darkness and pressed close, men jump aboard and pointed rifles at them.

"HEAVE TO!" The leader of each group of men ordered.

Four against eight were poor odds, even worse when the eight were already prepared to shoot and the four weren't. The drivers had already pulled back the throttles to idle and put their hands up as soon as the vessels were secure, the passengers followed by example. One at a time the four terrorists were walked up onto the bow and checked for additional weapons then secured by the wrists.

The boats were drifting together and Carl called out to the men.

"Lash them together." Carl instructed.

One of the terrorists shouted angrily, without any trace of a German accent. "YOU ARE NOT THE BLOODY COAST GUARD!"

"Noticed that, Mate?" A Royal Marine chuckled.

The boats were lashed together and the terrorists were taken aboard the cruiser. Several S.A.S. were aboard and secured the men. The S.B.S. teams climbed back aboard their boats and drifted back.

"What about those boats, Carl? We just leave them to drift?" Lieutenant Vance asked.

Carl turned the cruiser about. "Not really."

As they powered away Carl called over the radio. "Triton to Piper, Triton to Piper. Come in."

"Piper here, go Triton." Pete called back.

"Fish in the net, make the call." Carl said and gave coordinates.

Pete answered back. "Roger that. RTB, Triton. Just picking up my passengers."

"Ack. Triton, out." Carl replied and powered away from the boats.

Vance looked over. "Triton?"

Carl laughed. "Back in the day; me and my surfing buddies were called the Sons of Poseidon. I won the name Triton."

Carl reached under the seat and brought out a conch shell and blew it like a horn.

Vance shrugged. "I guess it could be worse."

"We were a bunch of snot-nosed thirteen year old surfer punks, we did everything we could to be cool." Carl laughed. "Must've worked, we won contests and got laid a lot!"

One of the other S.A.S. gunners chuckled. "That's some story, Mate."

"It's why I joined the Navy. The sea protected me, so I protected it." Carl said firmly. "I paid my debt for the name I flaunted. The sea god knew I would make good. I was deemed worthy and proved it."

Vance looked over to the four terrorists. "We just have to deal with this trash now."

"Talk to the Boss. He can tell you a good place for that." Carl commented and focused on his course. "Johnny'll have his boats back in an hour or so."

"Sounds like a good friend." Vance remarked.

Carl continued to look ahead. "Years ago, Johnny lived in Miami and worked on Thunderboat Row. One day this Dude came up."

"Dude?" Vance asked.

Carl nodded. "Yeah, there's always a Dude. Back to the story. Dude comes up. Says he wants Johnny to run for him. Johnny knows the dude by sight, not name. He knew he was bad news. Johnny tells him no way. Dude tells him no choice and points. Johnny looks and sees his wife and kids in the back of a car. Dude went and snatched Johnny's kids out of school like it was nothing. Johnny made the run. Nobody could catch him. His boat could even out run Reggie Fountain. He gets to the dock and they get the dope off his boat. Johnny says "Yeah, I ran your shit. Gimme my wife and kids and never come back'."

"Did they?" Vance asked.

"The fuck blew their brains out right there on the dock all over Johnny's boat, popped him in the chest and stole his boat." Carl glared.

The men all looked angry at the revelation. Carl wasn't done.

"Story don't end there. They shot Johnny, didn't kill him. That's where they really screwed up. Johnny came back. Built the best boat there was for three years running. He chased down his old boat. Caught it too. Gunned down dude's hard boys. He already knew where they were going and dumped the dope overboard. Then he loaded it up with gas cans and explosives. It took some doing but he got that boat to the drop and turned it loose. It went up and took a bunch of those guys with it. Johnny roared in and managed to grab the Dude. Nobody saw him ever again. Six months later, Johnny set up his charter service here." Carl finished.

Vance shook his head. "That's some story."

"All true. Johnny sold that boat to the D.E.A. for a million dollars. They caught every boat they chased for three years. Some asshole shot it up and blew the engines. Word has it he found out who the runners were and they disappeared. Boats, too. Johnny won't build boats any more. For anybody, for any price. Nobody messes with Johnny or his boats. All the major players avoid him like the plague. He tips us off to any new players and we tip off the Feds and Coasties." Carl said.

Soon they approached Ram's Rock and were flagged to the beach instead of the dock. Rodrick, Jeremy Wells and Geoff Traeger awaited them. Carl bailed off as they boarded and backed away. An hour and a half later the boat returned, without the terrorists.

The S.B.S. and S.A.S. teams immediately went over to Kestrel island and searched it again, most returning just after nine that morning once a guard had been established.

Tammy hoped that would mean a return to a quiet existence, but first she had a task.

{Continues}

UG3-Diminishing Returns-cover Diminishing Returns is the third book in the Unaccounted Gains series. Heather and Sophie are now living full time in Cornwall but trouble follows them. An intern is brought on board just as Heather is preparing for her surgery.
Larry a bullied sophomore in High School finds two new friends in his Home Ec. class. Together the boy and two girls design costumes in anime maid style and provide treats for a booth at the mall. The trio discover a real knack for treat-making and win over not only their school, but also the town in a sweet coming of age story.
up
363 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

great chapter

terrorists caught!

DogSig.png

Tangos

The pros make it look so easy, while the rest stand around pickin their nose and saying duh!

Diversion?

Were the four captures True Freedom operatives a diversion? Can the royals now have a peaceful holiday, or is this the quiet before the storm?

Was Lizzie not paid a consequence of her identify change being rushed, and personnel didn't get the memo to keep paying? Or has someone acted beyond their authority?

Tammy's talents

Tammy's ability to coordinate and execute. the take down of the True Freedom terrorists is the proof that OICA was able to see her potential when British intelligence was using her as patsy. She put together a complex plan with multiple moving pieces and personnel who had no experience working together to achieve what would be considered the optimal result- quietly eliminating the threat before anyone was aware of it.

Of course all the signs pointing to her ability to accomplish there are in plain sight throughout the episodes in the Tammyverse. Her academic smarts, her creative thinking, her instincts/ ability to integrate skills learned in her training into real life situations are what make her a strategic asset for OICA and British Intelligence. The training she received (so far) from OICA far exceeds what anyone on the British side have a clue about and she is also aided by knowing the skill sets of the OICA personnel and having trust in them.

All of the British personnel on site- especially Jeremy Wells- should have a proper appreciation for Tammy's skills and abilities after this; if they don't perhaps a run through the kill house will be in order.

Shiraz and Snowfall, thank you again for another wonder chapter.

Back Channeling

WillowD's picture

The first time Tammy ran into OICA she was taught about back channeling, i.e. the art of passing information and requests to each other without involving the upper ups and bureaucracy. I get the feeling that, unlike some military people, Wells is going to realize that Tammy has access to enormous resources and will be someone well worth back channeling with.

For anyone that doesn't remember, the reason Tammy was able to determine the British information network was compromised was because, one she spotted something suspicious she was able to back channel to other parts of the British network instead of just sending a report up the chain of command.

As usual

Robyn B's picture

Once again you have left us hanging, and in drastic need of reading the next part.
Do not be late...

I'll leave the speculation to the other commentators...

Robyn B
Sydney

phew!!!!!

I'm exhausted after that, great story as usual, thank you

who told wells

“I’ll have you confined to barracks for that attitude – I was also warned.” was this all Marcus playing games?

also what of the ausi radio transmissions.
the triangle is getting stranger.

jonathan

Lizzie

Hmm, it looks like there might be a few more vipers hiding in the woodwork and fucking with her. Furthermore it looks like the Brits weren't well prepared for terrorists shooting RPGs at the royal couple if Lizzie hadn't spotted the bad guys.

Thx for another great chapter^^

Attention

Tammy is really calling attention to her competency in front of the right people. However, she's also becoming a serious threat to some incompetents who are positioned to cause her problems. Food for suspense. Thank you again Shiraz and Snowfall for another bit of entertainment!

Rule-Bound Pr*cks

Seems the Lt. Col. shares a similar attitude with with the previous captain. They are definitely allergic to people like Tammy that are not by-the-book fighters.


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

One Trouble With Armies

joannebarbarella's picture

Is that they are trained to deal with what they think are straightforward situations. This is why, for instance, the Ukrainians have been able to hold the theoretically much more powerful Russians at bay. They have been using their brains instead of their numbers.

Tammy has been doing the same. She has been trained by experts in assymetric warfare and is using that training. She also doesn't give a shit about chains of command or any consequences to her career. It's the results that matter to her.

Thanks Snowball and Shiraz for a great action-packed chapter.

MP5s

That's typical army mentality: go in guns blazing. Or wave them in the face of the tangos. In the public, in bright daylight. Maybe McTaggert should create a "Scalpel" command. ;-)

Thx for another great chapter^^

So far above his pay grade

Jamie Lee's picture

Wells needs to be briefed on a few things in private, namely that certain personal operate at a level that's way above his pay grade. And before his ego causes him to take an early retirement.

Well, that operation went as planned, for once. And Ram's Rock gained a few more suvinoirs. But what happened to the guys in the van and the four terrorists?

Others have feelings too.