Shame and Desire Chapter 10

Printer-friendly version

Dinners with extended family members were never very fun. Especially not surprise ones. Elise could only sit there in silence as she watched her grandparents rant about god knows what.

“And I’m telling you, this is why they gotta start teaching christianity in those schools again.” Elise’s grandfather said. “They stop teaching those kids christianity and everything goes to shit.”

“That’s great, father.” Elise’s mother said back as she was beginning to have second thoughts about having this dinner.

“Yeah and I mean it too. Instead of christianity they’re teaching those kids critical race theory!” The grandfather said as he drank his cup of beer. “Why do they hate America so much?”

“Do you even know what critical race theory is?” Elise asked him.

The grandfather turned to Elise with furrowed eyebrows. “Well of course I know what it is. It’s… it’s… it’s, well it’s not important what it is. They’re teaching kids that America is evil! They’re teaching kids that white people are evil! They’re destroying our culture! I’m telling you, you gotta see what they’re doing!”

“Well honey.” The grandmother stood up. “I think we better get going. I don’t want you to get too drunk over here.”

The grandfather raised an eyebrow for a few seconds before standing up as well. “Well… I guess you’re right.” He smiled. “I don’t want to crash the car.”

The mother’s face grew concerned. “Father, you’re not going to drive are you?”

The grandfather laughed. “Of course I am! I ain’t that drunk.”

The mother sighed, knowing she couldn’t convince him otherwise. “Please don’t get yourself killed.”

“I won’t.” He said. “I promise.”

The two grandparents stood up and grabbed their belongings. They thanked the family for the dinner, said their goodbyes, and walked out the front door. The mother watched as her parents drove away.

“Julie.” Elise’s father said from behind her. “You gotta stop inviting those two over so often. I don’t like getting lectured about whatever garbage they found on facebook.”

“Ronald, they’re family. They have a right to be here.”

“They’re racist. They make me uncomfortable.”

Julie sighed. “I’ve tried talking to them. They never listen. I don’t know what to do.”

“Well, you’re gonna need to find out. Do something, because I’m tired of this.”

***

Elise felt a wave of relief wash over her as she finally reached her room. She wasn’t sure how her mother could keep making the same mistake over and over again. Inviting the grandparents to their house for dinner, then being forced to hear their deranged ramblings which got even worse each time they visited. She should’ve learned by now.

Elise collapsed onto her bed. It had been a very long day. Finding out that her boyfriend, who she had been with for a little over a year, wasn’t really a boy at all was in many ways a complete mindfuck. She still couldn’t process it, even hours later.

At the same time however, a part of her didn’t feel very surprised at the reveal. She had known that something odd had been going on with Devin for a while. And finding out that Devin was a trans girl named Sierra did admittedly explain a lot. But there were just so many different complications that could arise from this, especially regarding their relationship.

Could they still be together? Elise had no idea. She didn’t even know if she liked girls. Was she still attracted to Sierra? She remembered thinking Sierra was cute after really looking at her new face for the first time. And she liked seeing Sierra happy and engaged after so long of her being quiet and reserved. Elise wasn’t sure if she actually liked that story, For a Girl, but with Sierra being so engaged and passionate, how could that matter to her?

It would definitely take a lot of time to figure everything out.

***

Devin’s alarm on his phone played and woke him up. His alarm was usually whatever song he was in the mood for at the moment. Currently it was “Losing My Religion” by R.E.M., but that would probably change in the next week or so.

As Devin turned off the alarm and stood up from the bed, he sighed in disappointment. He didn’t know why he was expecting anything aside from his current house and life, but it seemed that the very immature part of him was really hoping his wish would just miraculously be granted.

Devin checked the time on his phone. 8:08. Early again. Devin hoped this would become a trend for him. He didn’t really enjoy falling asleep at 4 AM every night, something that could quickly become a habit over summer vacations.

As he walked out of his room, he remembered Elise was going to come over again today. Were they going to continue reading For a Girl? It seemed likely, but he couldn’t quite say for sure. He also couldn’t quite say if that’s what he would want to do.

Devin was honestly just shocked Elise didn’t completely hate the story. He definitely thought she would, considering how problematic it can get and how it’s aimed at a demographic she isn’t a part of, but even amongst all that, she didn’t hate it. He had to admit that he didn’t truly know how the average person would react to TF/TG content in general. Perhaps he should stop automatically assuming the worst.

For the next few hours Devin passed the time by playing through a Super Metroid rom on ZSNES. He was alright at the game but he certainly wasn’t on speed runner level. He didn’t think he’d ever get there and he was okay with that. It seemed like way too much work.

Eventually, at 12:00, he heard his phone vibrate, with a message letting him know that Elise would be there soon. He closed out of Super Metroid and got dressed for the day.

Devin walked over to a body length mirror and inspected himself. He had put on a sweatshirt to cover his breasts, which was admittedly a bit silly, considering that Elise already knew everything. It seemed putting on baggy clothes had become like a second instinct for him.

He took off the sweatshirt and threw it on the couch. Looking at himself once more, a part of him wondered why he couldn’t just dress like this all the time. Most strangers looking at him like this would see a teenage girl with short hair, which was what he wanted, wasn’t it?

That train of thought was immediately shot down by another part of him that demanded he cover his body at all times. He couldn’t go out like this in public, or at work, or at school next year.

Devin hadn’t even thought about what he would do about school next year. Would he show up as Sierra? No, he couldn’t. He was a man, for one, and he wasn’t at all ready for the sheer amount of prejudice he’d have to face. On the other hand though, he’d have to decide on something, because he still had one more gym credit he needed to take, which would mean he’d be forced to choose between two equally terrifying options. Change in the guy’s room and try his best to hide his breasts, or begin changing in the girl’s room. Neither option would be easy, and just thinking about it made him gulp in fear.

Luckily, when he looked out of the window, he saw Elise’s car pull into the driveway, quickly banishing those unpleasant thoughts from his mind.

Devin walked out the front door, smiling as he approached Elise, and they both embraced in a hug.

up
60 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Elise's grandfather

he's gonna be a problem if Elise keeps seeing Sierra.

DogSig.png