The Voyage of the Visund -60-

Printer-friendly version

Ursula and Tyra are passengers in a wagon escorted by reluctant rebels. With them is the Commissioner, who discovers that his loyalties may be displaced. When they reach the farmstead, the presence of dranakhs ensures their visit to the Old Führer goes smoothly.

grakh on parchment

The Voyage of the Visund

A tale of Anmar by Penny Lane

60 - Voice from the Past


Disclaimer: The original characters and plot of this story are the property of the author. No infringement of pre-existing copyright is intended. This story is copyright (c) 2022 Penny Lane. All rights reserved.



The wagon rolled along a wide, straight highway which Ursula thought might originally have had Roman origins. The land was level but not completely flat and, like the countryside of Joth, was obscured by stands of trees in various places. Still, it was possible to see the many farmsteads spread over the region, most busy with planting, harvesting or other rural tasks.

They could see this since their escort had been forced to roll up the front and back covers of the wagon to permit daylight in. Their dranakh, Tosk, refused to move until they had done so, showing that Ursula held the ultimate authority here.

The Commissioner was not interested in the view from the wagon. He was seated at one side on a pile of sacks of seed grain. Facing him were Ursula and Tyra on similar sacks.

"Are all those who come from this other world like you?" he asked Ursula. "I have heard tales of what the She-Demon of Palarand could do but, like many others, found them difficult to believe."

"I have no idea," she replied. "I have only met one other and that was not the person I think you are referring to."

His eyebrows rose. "There is yet another? Are you certain that it was not She who you met?"

"It was a he, Commissioner." She stared at him as the wagon jolted onwards. "You should understand that we are not friends so I cannot tell you much more. No, the person I met was definitely a man. To answer your question in broader terms, and I will be careful what I tell you," he nodded acceptance, "I have been told that the world we came from has developed further than this one has. You can think of it as if we are two hundred or so years ahead of you.

"That means that we know both more than people here do and, by contrast, less than people here. Yes, we have advanced machinery which permits us to do things you would say were impossible, but in most cases a normal person would have little idea how those machines worked. Yes, we know enough to use those machines but it takes a specialist to make, maintain and repair them.

"We know more about the world around us through exploration and experiment and in time you will do the same. We have made many mistakes and one thought is that people on Anmar will learn from those mistakes and avoid them." She shrugged. "My own opinion of that is that it may be true but you will simply make other mistakes. Only time will tell."

"We of Yod have already made big mistakes," he muttered. "We have always been brought up to know that Yod was better than other lands and that they could only benefit by coming under our stewardship. Yet the evidence of my own eyes is that we were clearly mistaken. Your own presence here proves that. I doubt any in Yod knew that it was possible to actually speak to a dranakh!"

She held up a hand. "Do not think that I am in complete control of what dranakhs do and not do, Commissioner. Until yesterday I did not really understand what was happening. I think that, if those men had not thought to kill us all, the dranakhs would not have exposed themselves to me as they have done. I can communicate with them in a fashion, yes, but that is all. As you well know, dranakhs do exactly whatever they desire to."

"And what they desire is to keep you alive, I deem." His voice was dry. "For that I would thank them, since it means that by chance I also remain alive." His eyes flicked to the backs of the two men on the drivers' bench. "In future, though, I am not so sure."

Ursula shrugged. "The future is unknown, Commissioner."

The wagon suddenly turned and the passengers were forced to grab something to steady themselves. Looking out the back Ursula could see that they had moved off the main route onto a minor road leading into the countryside.

She asked him, "You are familiar with this area?"

"Not at all... Mistress." He hesitated and then realized that his former activities were not worth keeping secret. "I administered a small area further to the east, originally. Though most folk named us oppressors I like to think that my rule was moderate and just, as such matters go." He gestured to the scenery behind them. "I do not know Wadek at all."

They had gone no distance at all before the wagon turned once more onto what was obviously a farm track. The ride became bumpy as it swayed over the ruts made by years of cart movements.

"We approach our destination, I deem," he said. "Now we must needs ensure that we are not murdered by mistake."

One of the men on the bench half-turned. "If you would remain where you are when we stop." He sounded tense. "We will attempt to explain what has happened to those already at the farmstead."

The wagon pulled into a cobbled yard and halted. Immediately the two men leapt down, shouting to those already there. But Ursula could already hear other voices.

"There are at least two dranakhs already there," she told the Commissioner. "They should help to make the point."

The other two men had ridden frayen and now dismounted, leading their beasts around the side of the wagon. There was a discussion in the yard before one of the men came around the back and dropped the tailboard.

"It is safe enough for you to come out now." He was the one who had a knife in his boot and he did not sound happy. "The conditions have been explained."

The Commissioner gestured for the two women to climb out first and they did so, stretching even though the journey had been short. Ursula thought that they might have traveled barely two marks from Wadek, if that. She looked around as the Commissioner climbed out after them. The yard looked much the same as the one that the renegade soldiers had hid out in, with the house one side, stables another and barns on the two remaining sides.

There were three men there she had not seen before. All looked much like their escort, rough and capable. All looked dismayed by the new realities. She noted that two crossbows had been placed on the ground next to one of the two dranakhs, who regarded the humans from the gap between the two barns. They still carried their swords and knives.

She walked over to them. "If you do us no harm then no harm will come to you. Is this understood?"

The man she thought was their leader scowled. "If it must be, woman."

"I have only come here to speak to the old man, nothing more. No-one knows where I have gone and I will tell them nothing when I return. I have no desire to expose you to those you think of as your enemies."

"What about her? And him?"

"She is my assistant. As a woman I could hardly come here on my own, could I? My word is her word. As for the Commissioner -" the man spat on the ground at this mention, "- since you appear to be so fond of him the rules will apply to him as well as to us. You may not be honorable but I am. Without his help I would not be here today so I owe him his safety until we return to Wadek. Beyond then," she shrugged, "we will see."

"He should not have brought you here! It has always been against the rules."

This outburst brought a growl from the two dranakh, who began to move forward into the yard.

"Maker!" he said, taking a step backward. "Are you a witch?"

"I do not know what you mean by the word witch. As far as I know no such person exists. Just as some may carve wood better than others, or have the ability to cook, or play music, then I have discovered that the dranakh like me and want to talk to me. It is possible that there are Yodans who can do the same thing, but if you go around calling them witches then they are not going to let it be known, are they?"

He snarled at her but she could see that he had accepted her argument. He changed attack, pointing at her basket and Tyra's satchel.

"What is in those? Our mission is to keep the Old Führer safe and away from the likes of you. I do not want any weapon brought into his presence."

She was patient. "I am a healer, as you are no doubt fully aware. This basket and the satchel my assistant carries are what we usually bring to treat our patients."

She could tell he was angry but he made no reply, simply gesturing abruptly to a doorway into the farmhouse. Taking this as a dismissal she led the way in. The interior was dark but another younger man stood in what was obviously the kitchen. This man was dressed more simply and carried no obvious weapons. He beckoned and they followed him through the house to a north-facing room that received plenty of light.

Seated in a comfortable chair, with a blanket over his lower half and legs, was the old man she had anticipated. She knew that it would be difficult to tell his age but he must have been around eighty Earth years old. He was half asleep, dozing, his breathing slow and regular. With him were two other men, one young, one middle-aged, both dressed lightly, unlike those of the 'security' detail. They moved swiftly to meet the three when they entered the room.

The older man seemed annoyed. "I told them that he did not need another healer! What is wrong with these people?" Since Ursula carried a basket, he addressed her. "You are the healer? What does a woman know of curing the sick? Or do you merely carry his basket?" He gestured at the Commissioner.

"I am a healer," Ursula replied. "This man is our guide here. With me is my assistant."

He stared suspiciously at her. "How is it that the Directory permitted you a pendant, then? I thought they turned women away!"

"They turned me away. I learned my medicine in another country a long way from here, in a place where the authorities are not so stupid as to overlook the talents of half the population. Will you let me examine the patient?"

The man reddened but swallowed an outburst. Instead he said, offhand, "As you are here you may as well. He is too old, there is nothing that can be done for him, especially by a woman."

She asked him evenly, "How many births have you attended? Difficult births? Ones where both mother and child survived?"

He said nothing but flounced off to the other side of the room, sulking. His young assistant raised his eyes, nothing in them but interest.

That young one does not agree with his mentor's methods. He at least is capable of broadening his mind.

Still, they are willing to let me go to the patient without interfering. I had better make use of the opportunity.

She moved to the chair and crouched down.

"Good morning. I am a healer. Can I take a look at you?"

There was an intake of breath and then the man roused. His head turned and, as he saw Ursula, his eyes widened.

"You are a doctor?" There was no trace of an accent.

She gave him a smile. "In these lands we are called healers. Will you let me examine you? It should not take long or cause you any discomfort."

He muttered something low and she said, "I ask your pardon. I did not catch that."

"I said that you could not do any worse than that fool over there. I heard what you said to him. What do you want to do first?"

"Your pulse, I think."

She lifted the nearest wrist. The pulse was there through the thin mottled skin, steady, fairly slow given the man was completely relaxed. With no timepiece of any description to hand she had to estimate the rate, which seemed reasonable - ah!

"How long have you had this heart flutter?"

A very slight shrug. "Many years now. Is not that what usually happens to the old?"

"Maybe, but sometimes it can have a different cause. Would you mind if I listen to your chest?"

Now roused, he stared at Ursula. "How will you do that? They have never tried that before. They have no Stethoskope in this hellish place."

She smiled again. "Did you hear what I said about childbirth?" He nodded.

She turned to Tyra. "I need something out of the bag, please."

"Of course, Mistress."

Ursula fished in the bag and came out with a turned wooden tube which had wide bell-like flanges on both ends. Both the other healers were watching her with interest now. She turned to find that the old man had lifted up the loose shirt he was wearing to expose a chest covered with mostly white hair. One end of the tube went onto his chest and she applied an ear to the other end. After listening intently for a few moments she raised up and nodded.

"In this case it probably is old age, I think." She stood, thinking, conscious of the two men watching her. "Let us continue. I want to check some other things as well."

She did what she considered to be a thorough examination, checking eyes, ears, mouth and body including extremities. She asked him many questions and received straight answers, getting the impression that the other healer had not managed a quarter of what she had done. Finally she put her things away and stood up.

"Your heart is the worst problem but that is simply a consequence of getting old. You must be, what? Near ninety years old by now."

He frowned at her as he adjusted his clothing and settled himself in his chair again. "Ninety? No, nowhere near that many years, I would guess."

"I am speaking of Earth years, mein Herr. It has been a long time since you arrived on Anmar."

The eyes flashed into life and he regarded Ursula with full attention. "Guten Tag, gnädige Frau. You are from Earth? I should have known. I have only been examined that thoroughly by a doctor before..." His voice trailed off.

Ursula switched fully to German. «Before you came to Anmar. Yes, I am also from Earth, though much more recently arrived. Yes, I am a real doctor and I used to work in a large hospital, um, before I came here.»

The reply was also in German. «Where did you come to? Surely not to Yod.»

«I was found on an island in the river by a passing ship. It had reached Joth before I recovered my memory.»

«Ah? Was that before or after that crazy invasion attempt of ours?»

Ursula decided to avoid all mention of Maralin if she could. «A little while after the war ended. But I traveled to Wadek in that same ship which began its journey in Palarand.»

«Palarand? They told me that someone from Earth was there, too. A girl. Have you met her?»

«No, but I hear stories about her all the time. I guess that you do not like her.»

He leaned towards her with a smile. «Let me tell you a secret. I was delighted when those of Palarand defeated the Ascendancy even though I created it in the first place. They have twisted and warped what I thought to bring to these backward people. I do not know how a girl could defeat us but good luck to her. Maybe the future will be better now for all of us.»

«The future is the future, mein Herr. Neither you nor I can say what is to come. Now, these people have given you the title of the Old Leader, which to my mind means that you arrived here during or before 1945. Is that so? You have had long years here and I would like to hear your story.»

He relaxed back. «It has been a very long time. Do you know what year it is? On Earth now, I mean.»

«When I left it was 2011, mein Herr. I am not sure which month. I arrived about two to three months ago.»

«Ach. When I departed it was April... or was it May? It does not matter any more. From 1945 to 2011 is sixty-six years, is that right? And the last thing I remember was fighting in the ruins of Berlin, and I was fifteen. I was born in 1930. That makes me... Mein Gott! Eighty-one years!»

He turned, then, and beckoned to the man who had shown them in. He had been standing quietly by the door watching proceedings. When that man reached the Old Führer he bowed slightly.

"Master, do you need something?"

"I do. If you would fetch pel for the four of us, Sumak. And chairs. They are honored guests, they should not stand while we talk."

"Honored guests..? As you wish, Master. If I may ask, what tongue is that you use? I have not heard you speak it before."

"The tongue of my birth, Sumak. The tongue of the land I lived in before I came here."

"Ah, I see. So is the woman from that same land?"

"Most likely, Sumak, though my mother tongue was widely spoken in nearby lands as well."

"As you say, Master. Uh, what about those two?" Sumak's eyes went briefly to the two male healers. "Should they be offered pel as well?"

"Probably. They may be barbarians but I am not."

Sumak bowed again. "As you wish, Master. As soon as I can." He turned and left.

"He is my manservant," The old man explained to Ursula. "I have had him for... twenty? maybe twenty-five years now. We understand one another and he does not treat me as the others do. The young girl? Is she your maid, then?"

"She began that way, though I now prefer to call Tyra my assistant. She does more than any maid might do."

"Good for her. And him? He does not seem like the sort of person who would go around with you."

The Commissioner bristled but bowed. "Führer, I am Zakaros Stonecarver, once a Commissioner in the service of the Ascendancy but now, like yourself, a fugitive. By chance our paths crossed and she desired to meet you, so I arranged the journey."

"Just like that? You would bring out here anyone who asked?"

"Führer, she recognized your title, which meant that she could speak your tongue, as I heard her doing just now. The desire seemed genuine and she is, after all, a healer. I do not think that you have much to fear from this meeting."

"You are right, Commissioner. There is no doubt that she can speak the tongue of my birthland and that means that she also comes from... somewhere near there. Since she is so recently arrived, we will have much news to exchange. Your actions are approved, Commissioner."

Sumak appeared with a chair in each hand followed by one of the guards with a third chair. They were only dining chairs but they would do. One was placed near the old man for Ursula's use, the other two were further away, but near enough to hear what was said.

"Thank you, Sumak."

The servant bowed. "Master. The water boils, I go to attend the drinks."

Sumak turned and left. The three sat down.

Ursula asked, "Can I ask you about your origins on Earth? I doubt that many here on Anmar know of it and even if they do then they will not understand most of it. I was born many years after you were but we were taught history at school so I should have a better idea of the times you lived in."

He nodded. "Very well. I assume that like me your memory is very good? Since you came here, I mean."

"That is true enough but it was good before."

"Then I will trade you. I want to hear what happened on Earth after I... left, so to speak."

"I can do that, but, I remind you that you are old and can tire more easily than I can. If I think that you should rest I will tell you so."

A nod and a faint smile. "Done. Sometimes I forget how old this body has become. Eighty-one! Astonishing! At one time I did not think I would see my sixteenth year."

"Actually, you probably did not." Ursula paused before speaking again and decided that her next words ought not to be spread widely around. «There is information about those of us who have been transferred which should not be widely known. From the odd words which have been passed around between us, we were all on the point of death when we were selected to be brought here. It seems that it is not possible for us to be in more than one place at the same time.»

«Ach, I see. Yes, such details should not be widely known. I have learned that rule the hard way! But first, I had better begin at my own beginning. Frau Doktor, permit me to introduce myself. I am Friedrich Scholzer, born in Berlin in March 1930 to Ernst and Eva Scholzer. In this world I am known as Fridrik Showze, since they could not pronounce my Earth name properly. My father was an official in the city tax office, and he was also in the Nazi party though only as a supporter. I grew up the German way, doing what every other German child did, and thought that Der Führer was wonderful, that Germans were obviously superior to those who lived in the countries around us, and that we had been badly treated after the Great War.

«Then we went to war again. At first it seemed only proper that we should regain the lands that had been taken from us, and of course that all German-speaking folk should be united under one strong leader. At first it was amazing! Our brave armies swept all before them and we subjugated all those who opposed us, all except the English. We were told that the strip of sea between our new lands and theirs was difficult to cross and that maybe Der Führer would wait until better methods of crossing were made. Still, they had been beaten and that was enough for now.

«Then Der Führer turned his eye to other, easier lands. Once more our armies were victorious, right up until the day that they were beaten. The deserts of Africa were lost and with them the route to India. It seemed to me, a young teenager at the time, that the invasion of Russia had been a mistake. He had been right to invade, the Bolsheviks had always been our bitterest enemies, and the threat that they represented could not be ignored, but the timing was wrong. To have a whole continent full of Untermenschen near at hand, all of whom could sweep across the west just as Genghis Khan had done -»

Ursula had held up her hand. «I must ask you to be careful how you speak of my people, Herr Scholzer. I am Russian

His eyes grew large and he stared at Ursula with horror. He pressed himself into his cushions to try and increase the distance between them.

«I have already said that I am no danger to you,» she said quickly. «I am a healer. I bear you no ill-will. The events you speak of happened a very long time ago. Almost all those who were there have gone now. I only ask you to remember that there are always two sides to every argument.»

The older of the two healers started and took a step forward. "Here! What did you say to him? If you came to him to offer insults you can leave immediately!"

Ursula turned to him. "Fifty years ago his land and mine were at war with each other. That is no longer true. He spoke of mine in the way that he had been taught to when he was there. I told him where I came from and that opinions can be different on each side."

The old man spoke sharply to the healer. "What happened then was a long time ago. She was not born then! I was surprised, that is all."

The healer gave Ursula a sour look and stepped back. "As you say, Führer."

The old man visibly relaxed as he turned back to Ursula. «Ach, what a shock! Yet, to meet one of them here, on this strange world... Frau Doktor, will you tell me what happened after I came here?»

«As much as I was taught, Herr Scholzer. In Russia, Bolshevism is no more though what has replaced it is, in my opinion, little better.»

At that point Sumak returned with a tray of mugs. He handed one to his master, one to each of the guests and then, reluctantly, one to each of the two healers. He bowed to his master and departed carrying the tray.

«I am sorry, your story was interrupted.»

He took a sip of his drink but it was too hot, putting the mug on a side table. «Very well. After our men were forced to retreat from the lands to the east, the... if I call them Bolsheviks, will you object?»

«Not at all. Their names are less important than their deeds.»

«So. The Bolsheviks poured west in ever increasing numbers. Then calamity came! The English and the Americans invaded from the west and it was soon apparent to all that the end would come, though none dared admit it. As defeat followed defeat I became one of many orphans. My father had been given a post in the Todt Organization and was killed in Dresden in a bombing raid. Then one of the many raids on Berlin took my mother.

«An uncle of a school friend took care of me among the rubble of what had once been a fine city. Eventually we could hear the sound of the Bolshevik guns as their armies approached Berlin. Both my friend Ralf and I were drafted into the last defence of the city. We were armed with nothing but armbands and old rifles from other countries. I had one from Italy and Ralf had a Belgian one. We knew that we would face tanks and battle-hardened troops but there was nothing else to do but fight to the death for the Fatherland. We did not want to survive and be forced to live under the Bolsheviks.

«Then I woke up in a farmhouse in Yod.» A brief smile. «I could not understand what had happened! For months I thought I was crazy. Was it the same for you?»

Ursula hesitated. «It was slightly different for me, I will explain later. Yes, to begin with I thought that I had become insane. As I said before, though, I was not alone. A man who had also been transferred was one of those who found me. I was forced to confront the truth - several truths - very quickly.»

«Ah, I see. Well, not only did I think I was crazy but all those around me did also. I soon learned that it was better to keep my mouth shut and, after some time had passed, I said that it must have been a fever that had affected my brain somehow. Because they did not want to keep me on that farm I was passed on to a smith in the nearby village and became his apprentice.» He grinned. «I learned a good trade, too! After six years I was made a journeyman and had a good living.

«By that time I had learned my way around local society and discovered that some of them had ideas which resembled those of the Germany I knew. I joined a local group and began to speak to the members, telling them that I recognized Yod's greatness and how matters could be improved and advanced. Because I remembered how matters had gone in the Reich I could speak to them in a way that they had not heard before. I was made local Secretary of the group and began to work my way up in the national organization.

«By my title you know that I eventually became their national leader and at that time the organization's name was changed to the Ascendancy. By then I had found ways of proving to them that I had knowledge from elsewhere, but I did not tell them of other worlds for a long time, because I knew they would turn their backs on me if they thought I was insane. Carefully I offered improvements in their methods and organization and the Party grew in size and power until eventually we threw out the rival groups and became the rulers of Yod.

His smile was one of rueful acceptance. «My downfall was not long in coming. I may have mobilised the Party and taken control of the country but I am no Adolf Hitler. I did not have his strength, his charisma. I could speak to a rally but there was no fire in my delivery. I am a craftsman, not a leader of men. As in every organization there were factions and enemies. I had forgotten human nature and I was deposed from office by others who wanted it more. Gradually the Party became twisted, became more ruthless, more brutal, less humane and I was pushed to the side. As the founder I was - am - still offered respect but there was - is - little substance behind it.

«So I have sat back and watched history repeat itself. I have wondered long what my purpose was in being brought here.»

Ursula considered. «It may surprise you but I have been led to believe that your purpose was to do exactly what you did. You brought unity and organization to Yod and, while I do not approve of what happened afterwards, it appears that it was necessary in the greater scheme of things.»

His brow wrinkled. «Scheme? What scheme? More important, perhaps, whose scheme?»

Ursula picked her words carefully. «Herr Scholzer, you and I did not arrive on Anmar by accident. It appears that we have been transferred here to bring change to this world. Those who brought us here appear to have long term plans for the universe we live in which extends many thousands of years into the past and future. You know, of course, of grakh?»

He nodded. «I do. Terrible beasts.»

«They appear to be like ancient flying dinosaurs which died out on Earth millions of years ago. It is possible that they were brought here from Earth too - millions of years ago.»

«Ja. I have often wondered at the resemblance. A number of the other creatures here resemble those of Earth but there are many that do not. Have you an explanation for that?»

She shook her head. «I have examined the insides of some of the six-legged creatures and they did not come from Earth. I do not know if they are native to this world or were brought here from yet another world.»

«Hmm.» He took another sip of his drink and Ursula did likewise. Then he asked, «What of those who move the men and animals around? Do you know anything of them?»

«Very little. Speculation only. The existence of such Beings can be deduced from the fact that we are here but the method is unknown. The night sky shows that we are a very long way away from Earth.»

He nodded. «Ja. It is pointless to speculate without facts and we have none.»

«I agree.»

«Then I would ask you to tell me now something that is of interest to me, and that is what happened after... I departed.»

She was cautious. «I will, but I must warn you that you will not like most of it. If I believe that you are becoming upset then I will stop.»

His lips thinned but he nodded. «It is old history now and there is nothing I can do which will affect one atom of it. For better or worse Anmar is now my home, but of course I wonder what did happen. Does Germany still exist?»

«It does, and much would be recognizable to you, but much more would not. I passed through it after I left Russia -»

«Ah?»

«A different story and one that will probably offend many in this room, were I to use the local tongue. Perhaps later. Let me begin by telling you how the war ended and what happened afterwards.»

Ursula began with the sack of Berlin and the surrender of Germany, what had been discovered in the aftermath and the existence of the Holocaust. She moved on to Stalin's paranoia, the division of Germany and Berlin, the Cold War and the division of Europe. Then through the fifties, sixties and seventies, detailing significant matters that had happened all around the world.

She was trying to explain the standoff of the eighties when Sumak re-entered and bowed.

"Master, it will soon be time for lunch."

"Of course, Sumak. I am sure that the ladies will want to refresh themselves before we eat. What of those outside?"

"They have their own provender, Master, as before. I have offered them hot drinks should they desire them but most are drinking wine." He hesitated before adding, "They find the presence of the dranakhs to be unsettling, Master."

"What is this?"

Ursula explained what had happened and he smiled. "Good! The Committee assigned them to me but they are useless at anything but bullying. I am pleased that you have found a way to neuter them. If you and your asisstant will follow Sumak, he will show you the bathroom facilities."

The bathroom facilities were, as at the other farmstead, across the yard. As well as the wagon and six men the yard contained a number of dranakh who kept moving around and making it difficult to count.

She saw an image of a row of six dranakhs.

Reading me, are you? I give you gratitude for your help.

This attempt at a direct message was met with an emotion she could not interpret.

I do not know what you mean. We are too different.

The nearest dranakh bleated at her and then the group apparently ignored her, content on roaming the small yard and - seemingly - menacing the men, who watched them with varying levels of anxiety.

"If you would follow me, Mistress."

The facilities were in much better condition than the ones at the renegades' farmstead. Ursula and Tyra completed their business and washed their hands.

"Are we boring you?" Ursula asked. "I am sorry, it is better that we speak in his language so that unfriendly ears do not pick up information they should not know."

"I understand that, Mistress. His tongue sounds harsh and I was impressed how easily you both spoke it." Tyra frowned. "Once or twice I thought there was a word that I recognized."

"Most languages contain words that are borrowed from other languages, Tyra. It is just more proof that many of these folk have ancestors who came from Earth and brought their tongues with them. Some words are bound to have survived."

"As you say, Mistress. Some of the Norse words sound faintly familiar too."

"More proof if you needed it. I notice that you have been keeping your eyes open. Have you seen anything that should concern us?"

"Nothing to alarm you, Mistress. The Commissioner seems happy to just be there and watch events happen. The older healer, well, he does not know what to make of you. He seemed genuinely surprised by the examination you gave the old leader. I believe that he thought you were boasting at first and, now that he knows you are not, he does not know how to treat you."

"Hmm. I have met people like him before and he could decide to become offended by my abilities. I think we will ignore him until we learn different."

"I agree, Mistress."

"What about the younger one? He seems more open-minded to me."

"It was interesting, Mistress." Tyra suddenly blushed. "He spent his time staring at both you and me."

Ursula smiled. "I am not surprised that he was sizing you up, Tyra. You two must be of about the same age and it is possible that we are the only two females that have visited this farm in weeks. But what about his attitude to the older one? They did not seem to me to be working together smoothly."

"We have not seen them do anything, Mistress. They just sat there and watched what you did."

"Hmm," she said again. "We'll just have to see what happens over lunch."

Outside Tyra managed to count the dranakhs. "There are six here, Mistress! I thought there were only supposed to be four together with Tosk who brought us here."

"Yes," Ursula replied absently. She pointed. "That one is Tosk and three of the others belong to the farmstead. The fourth one is busy doing something in a field. It might be plowing, I am not sure."

"How do you know that? Oh, of course. And the other two? Where do they come from?"

"One is from a nearby farm and the other..." she tried to separate out the many images she was receiving, "...might have traveled some distance to help out. It is not clear. They do not think of distances the same way we do."

"Oh. They really are looking after you, Mistress!"

"Us, Tyra, they are looking after all of us."

Sumak was waiting and he heard the final remarks. "Mistress?"

Ursula decided to be straight with him. "Sumak, the dranakhs are here because the men who brought us planned to murder us once we arrived here. For various reasons I do not understand the dranakhs objected to this. If we are harmed, they will kill everybody. You know they can do that."

"They are powerful beasts, Mistress, it is true. These men were to kill you? How do you know?"

"It is difficult to explain. It seems that I can occasionally get some images directly from them that they read from other people's heads. Several clearly showed what the men had planned."

Sumak looked worried. "The men were assigned to my Master to look after us and to keep him safe. I do not trust them, their manner is unpleasant. Do you think they are a danger to us as well?"

"I have no idea, Sumak." Ursula had an idea. "One moment, please."

She walked over to Tosk and placed a hand on his head. The images she received jolted her. She walked back to join Sumak and Tyra.

"I have had images which suggest that you and your master are safe, Sumak... up to a point."

"Mistress?"

"The men are here to protect you from contact with anyone not of the Ascendancy, which is why they were going to kill us, and that instruction included the Commissioner who came with us. Apparently he can no longer be trusted because he showed us how to find this place. However, if Pakmali forces were to come here to the farmstead, they would kill you and your master to prevent the foreigners from getting their hands on him."

The manservant grimaced. "I understand the reasoning, Mistress, but that does not mean that I have to agree with it."

"I am not surprised."

He glanced at the men, noting their clear dislike of the situation, and then turned to Ursula. "Mistress, if you and your assistant would follow me."

He led them to a different room where a table had been laid ready for lunch. They were the first to appear and Sumak showed Ursula to a chair next to the head of the table.

"Mistress, if I may ask for your assistant to help with the service today."

Ursula was surprised but she understood the reality of the situation. "Of course, Sumak. Do you prepare all his meals by yourself?"

"As you say, Mistress. Today there are double the usual number. Fortunately it is only a lunch that is required, not an evening meal, since my cooking abilities, despite the years I have had with my master, are limited. Of course, for many years he enjoyed a full staff to serve him. I am all that is left."

"Tyra will help as she can, but she is not trained as a maid or serving staff."

"Nevertheless, her help would be welcome." Sumak bowed. "If you would excuse me, I will go to fetch my master."

He backed out of the room and Ursula and Tyra just looked at each other.

"Mistress, do we trust the food they will serve us?"

"That depends on how it is served, I think. If we are offered dishes that none of the others will eat from, then no. But if all take from the same dishes then the risk should be less."

"As you say, Mistress. If I am to be in the kitchen, I will see what is done, I can perhaps give you warning of any danger."

"That reduces the risk but does not remove it. Good thinking, though."

Sumak returned supporting the old man, who used a stick to help himself move. He was ushered to the chair at the head of the table and made himself comfortable. Sumak glanced a question at Ursula, who nodded, and then left the room with Tyra behind.

«Please, Frau Doktor, sit down. A lady should not wait for a gentleman to sit before sitting down herself.» He gave her a genuine smile. «I plead the infirmity of old age, that is my excuse, but you should not have waited. Ah, here are the others.»

He gestured to the seat to his right and she sat down as the others filed in. The two healers sat facing Ursula while the Commissioner chose to sit next to her. Sumak and Tyra came in almost immediately bearing serving plates laden with the customary lunch staples. There were bowls of soup, served from a tureen on the table, so Ursula took that to mean that it was safe to drink. Other than that the offerings were cold meats, cheeses, sliced bread and various fruits.

The older healer had a sour expression as he spooned down his soup. He plainly did not like facing Ursula, a woman who had shown that she knew more than he did. As the bowls were taken away he forced himself to speak.

"What kind of land is it that permits its women to learn so much? From your accent you do not come from anywhere nearby."

"You would be surprised, Master Healer. Few of the nearby countries I have passed through insult the abilities of its women the way that Yod does. If I may offer you some advice, it would be to travel beyond your borders and see for yourself how we are treated."

He curled a lip. "Walk among those barbarians? A waste of my time."

"And how do you know they are barbarians? Only by what you have been told, Master Healer. If you want to find out the truth the only way is to travel there for yourself."

The Führer held up a hand. "Please, friends! There is enough unpleasantness in the world without bad words while we eat. If you would leave your arguments until after we depart from the table." He added, "I am sure that the Mistress is right, Hakarin. There have been many lies told in Yod's recent past. For now, let the matter rest."

Hakarin flushed. "As you command, Führer."

Ursula said, "Of course, Herr Scholzer."

The rest of the meal passed in uncomfortable silence.

When they rose Ursula decided that she would need to use the toilet again. She waited in the kitchen as Sumak and Tyra cleared the table before she and Tyra ventured into the yard once more. As they crossed, the younger healer hurried out of the door and caught up with them.

"Can I help you?"

"Mistress, it is forward of me to speak to one such as you but I am becoming desperate," the young man replied, his expression anxious. "It has become plain that I can learn nothing more from so closed a mind, but meeting you has shown that he is not the only possible future for me."

He glanced at the men, gathered around the wagon, who were trying not to annoy the dranakhs in the yard. "If I remain here these jailers will only kill me and my master when we can do no more for the old man. If you would take me with you when you leave? I beg you!"

up
163 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

So there is yet hope…….

D. Eden's picture

For the Yodans. Ursula makes a good point in that Herr Scholzer’s presence served a useful purpose. We’re it not for him, the Yodans would not have had the drive and wherewithal to start the war, and the other valley states would never have been unified - at least not as quickly or easily.

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

and there wouldn't have been

and there wouldn't have been as much urgency to industrialize, and they've skipped a lot of intermediary steps in the process

Dranakh interest in Ursula

It is almost as if she is being 'vet-ted', maybe?

I would imagine Dranakh care would be worse than even for human care so maybe the Dranakh are trying to recruit her so she can possibly also learn to be a 'vet'.

*

Julia,
Your service is appreciated. Seriously. I make use of your wonderful information organizing skills and efforts frequently. Your input adds greatly to the overall impact of the work your group is doing.

It is up to you, but I see no need for you to apologize for not having finished the updates a day or two before the newest episode has been written and posted. Even if you could actually see into the future.

; - ),
T

It's not quite time travel!

In practice Julia edits, cross-checks and closely inspects every chapter before it hits BC. Since she is writing in the same universe it is essential that we keep each other up to date and we often provide advice where needed.

- Still, we do occasionally manage to miss something! That's life.

She does a great job and without her help Anmar would be in a terrible state.

Penny

so 2011

At that time, the current leader in the space industry was just an upstart that many thought wouldn't survive,

crew

so is this +1 or +2? having at least 1 healer per ship is a good practice to start.

Not the Person I Expected

BarbieLee's picture

When meeting with Der Führer I had a different person in mind thinking he may have been duplicated not just transfered. Happy to know I was wrong. It seems Ursula has a unique gift, mental telepathy with the Drakna in a very serious way. Do they protect her because she has a closer connection to them than anyone else?
Hugs Miss Lane, you put a twist in this chapter I didn't see coming. Excellent writing skills.
Barb
Life is meant to be lived, not worn until it's worn out.

Oklahoma born and raised cowgirl

It appears

Ursula has a new apprentice or someone who wants to be.

The Old Fuhrer and his healer

The Old Fuhrer and his healer's helper are turning out to be potential interesting characters (perhaps even good guys) as this tale evolves..

Penny does a great job of Story Jujitsu.

Please keep it coming,
T