The Voyage of the Visund -52-

Printer-friendly version

The Norse have defeated an ambush and mounted an expedition to deal with the remaining renegades, capturing the farmstead and those within. However, the outlaws at the other farmstead are concerned and mount their own expedition - against the village of Bakhrad.

grakh on parchment

The Voyage of the Visund

A tale of Anmar by Penny Lane

52 - Day of Reckoning


Disclaimer: The original characters and plot of this story are the property of the author. No infringement of pre-existing copyright is intended. This story is copyright (c) 2021 Penny Lane. All rights reserved.



The thirteen men walked cautiously and quietly along the forest track. The front pair each carried a Thunder Pipe, while the man behind each carried a gently smoldering length of rope. The fuse-men occasionally blew on the ends of these lengths to ensure that they were still alight. The following two pairs held spears but the next two pairs had crossbows slung for travel and all twelve also had swords, presently sheathed. Almost all of them cursed the thirteenth man for making them get up and go on this useless early morning trek.

The thirteenth man wore calf boots and carried the two satchels of ammunition for the Thunder Pipes. He was also annoyed at having to get out of bed so early but in addition he was worried. The messenger yesterday had given warning of a large, strange vessel making for the pontoons and that Loytant Naskath would take a team from the other farm and deal with it personally.

Since then there had been nothing.

That was possible, of course. If the crew had been large enough then it may have taken time to subdue them and put them somewhere secure. If the vessel had been large enough - although under-officer Zerron personally doubted that - then it may have taken all afternoon to assess the cargo and decide what to do with it. But no word at all had come from Bakhrad and so Zerron had decided to investigate the following morning.

There had been a fair amount of grumbling when the patrol set off and the chatter had continued, even when they passed through the hamlet of Bakhzorum. They were all quiet now, as Bakhrad was just ahead, the clearing visible as a break in the tree cover. The only noises were the incessant cries of avians in the trees. Some of them sounded especially shrill this morning, but that was what you got for getting out of bed too early.

They reached the clearing and spread out around the edge to present less of a target. At least the men remembered their basic training. The two pipe-men went down on one knee and braced their weapons against their shoulders ready, while the fuse-men took position and prepared to touch the fuse once given the word. They had no idea how the weapons worked, only that they were invincible.

Where was everybody? By now at least some of the fishermen should be about, ready to go down to the pontoons and set off to hunt the day's catch. There should be sounds, glimpses of faces at windows, children hushed on seeing the soldiers, but there was nothing. The hairs began to raise along Zerron's back.

The pipe-man to his left suddenly fell forward, an odd metal-and-wood device sticking out of his head. The fuse-man scrambled away in fright as the Thunder Pipe tumbled to the ground. Zerron turned his head to his right as another of the strange weapons smashed into that pipe-man's head, making him spin to the ground and tangling him with his own weapon.

Suddenly, as Zerron stepped back in surprise, men sprang from some of the houses, large men, strangely dressed, who ran silently across the clearing and attacked his men. He turned to run and managed ten steps before another of them stepped out from gloom at the the side of the track. He saw the fist coming towards his face and then all went dark.

* * *

Eriana woke, feeling stiff and unable to move. There were avian sounds which brought her back to what had happened the previous night and she opened her eyes. Wedged either side of her were Matta and Vellana, the two women who had been most affected by their captivity. Either side of them, and making a sandwich of them with Eriana in the middle, were Banest and Larys. Realizing someone was missing, she came to properly and looked around the camp.

It was early morning. The sun had risen perhaps a bell earlier and many of the men who would have slept around the fire had departed, no doubt to use the latrine or to give themselves a quick wash and tidy up. A thin column of smoke came from the chimney of the farmhouse facing her, which had all its shutters thrown wide.

Reclining opposite Eriana on a bed of forage was Lars, who had his left arm around Nethra, who in turn was lying half on his chest. She was still asleep but Lars' clear gaze was fastened on Eriana. She raised an eyebrow and he responded with a quirk of his mouth.

It is what it is.

She smiled and nodded approval. Extricating an arm she scratched her nose, which movement caused Matta and Banest to stir.

"Am I still dreaming?" Banest muttered.

"It is no dream, Mistress," Eriana replied. "Those of Yod are shut in the barn and, mayhap today, will face their reckoning."

"Are you really a Princess? You do not behave as I expected one to behave."

"Aye, my father is a King and my mother was his Queen, which means that I am by right a Princess of the blood. We do not have the airs and graces that many nobles in the Sirrel Valley seem to have. My men offer me respect but it is earned not assumed."

"You said that your mother was a Queen?"

"Aye." Eriana's tone became pensive. "She died birthing what would have been my younger brother. Father grieved a while and then took another bride to be his Queen. She gave him sons my mother could not. Since I was eldest, he desired to make sure there would be no doubt who would succeed him so sought to marry me off meanly." A quirked smile. "I objected to that so, with my men and the help of a good friend who owned a ship, I ran away."

"Oh. But last night you mentioned Palarand."

"It is a long story and best told when we are all refreshed and, in your case, well again."

At that point Torvald emerged from the farmhouse carrying a tray of mugs. He was accompanied by Olof, who had a stained bandage around his right forearm. Torvald led the way towards the women. As he approached, Matta and Vellana, now both wide awake, shrank back against Eriana.

"Good morning, Captain. Good morning, ladies."

"Good morning, Torvald. Your language is definitely improving."

"I try but there are many strange words to know. Here is pel for you all."

"Thank you. Good morning, Olof. How is your arm?"

Olof replied, "Good morning, Captain," but then switched languages. «My arm hurts but that is to be expected. Lars thought that I should go and fetch Ursula here this morning. Who else should I bring?»

«A good question. I want to bring them all here but that would leave the village exposed.» She thought a moment as Torvald handed mugs to all the women. «Ursula, yes. I think I want Bennett and Semma as well, tell them to wear uniform and bring their pistols. Hashim will be useful to speak with these river folk and I may need Kalmenar to talk to those of the town. I think Tyra should stay behind and look after Kaldar, this farm is no place for such young minds.»

«Agreed, Captain. It is hard enough for some of us who are already here.»

«Tell Tor he is in charge of the defense of the village should anything happen. Since those of Yod are no longer in charge the villagers can escape into the forest if there is trouble.»

«Yes, Captain. And myself? Should I stay or return?»

«If Ursula permits then you may return if you wish. I don't want to see you waving a blade about today, though, you will just be help around the farm.»

He half-bowed. «Understood, Captain.»

She spotted one of the bargemen limping away from the latrine area. «Another matter. I doubt any of those we rescued today can walk as far as the village. Whatever happens, they cannot remain here. Ask Kedith to send... eleven carts. I believe there may be that many in the village.»

«You're right, Captain. It is not far but these poor folk...» He shook his head.

She asked, «Are you sure you can remember all that?»

He bristled but with pride. «Of course, Captain! I have a very good memory. That is one of the reasons that your brother picked me to travel with you. Ursula, Bennet and Semma to come, Bennet and Semma to wear uniforms and to bring the pistols. Hashim and Lord Kalmenar to come. Tyra and Kaldar to stay in the village. Tor in charge of defense. Carts to bring the hostages back to the village.»

She regarded him with interest. «I am surprised, but perhaps I should not be.»

He shrugged. «It has its uses, Captain. I'll be on my way, then.»

He walked out of the yard watched by all the women. Larys was thoughtful.

"I did not understand a word of that but I see what you mean, Highness. But why did he name you Captain if you are a Princess?"

Eriana smiled. "In the words of a friend of mine, it is possible to wear different hats depending on circumstances. Do you understand what I mean by that?"

"I think I do... Captain. Here and now you are just Captain of a ship and Captain of these men."

"As you say. As we journey along the river I am only Highness when I must needs be. I do not like all this fawning and grovelling. I am a direct kind of person, unused to all the fine words these so-called nobles use to confuse and make advantage."

"We barge folk have little to do with nobles, Captain, except when they accuse us of breaking some law. I am glad you are not like that."

"Thank you."

She took a sip of the brew and found it milder than that of the previous evening. Torvald was still there so she asked, «Is the cook still awake? After all that he did I am surprised that he can still stand.»

«He is asleep, Captain, in the farmhouse, along with the other man, Baros. Before they lay down they instructed us how to make this brew. Is it acceptable?»

«It is! It is better than what we drank last night.»

«It is to do with the toasting, Captain. Ah, here is Lars. I have a mug for him and for... I apologize, I do not know the names of the women yet.»

Lars approached and nodded to Eriana before lifting both remaining mugs from the tray. He handed one to Nethra before sipping from the other with approval. Nethra curtseyed to Eriana who held up a hand.

"None of that, please! I am Captain here and now, you do not curtsey to a Captain. I am only Highness when I cannot avoid it."

"My apologies, H- uh, Captain. By your leave, I must needs seek the privy."

"You do not need my leave for such requirements, Nethra."

"Perhaps not, but... I do not know where the privy is."

A shocked Eriana began to realize that the women had been shut in the milking shed for their entire stay at the farmstead and had never been permitted out. Why would they know where the privy was? She began to get very angry.

Fortunately Torvald provided the answer. "Mistress, privy is yonder," he pointed, "also a place you can wash after."

It dawned on Eriana that there were six women who would all want to use the privy and then wash themselves. Getting to the head of the line would take some time and, morally, she should let all the others go first.

"Nethra, go and clean yourself up. I regret we can do nothing about your clothing, there is no other here you can use. But do not take long, I pray. All your sisters have like needs and I would see you all refreshed before I go myself."

Nethra struggled not to curtsey again and then just nodded. "As you desire, Captain."

* * *

However primitive the facilities at the farmstead were, they were still better than those Eriana had endured at her father's Hall. But she had known no better then. All the women were cleaner now and had attempted to do something with their straggly, unkempt hair with a variety of success. Their attire was another matter. Even if there had been alternatives for each to wear, washing what they had worn for weeks, in some cases months, would be problematical.

"I do not think that it would be a good idea for you to see those who held you," she told the five women. "Nor that they should see you, since it might make them do something stupid. Thus, you must needs find somewhere out of sight to stand and I cannot be in that place."

«Captain,» Lars interjected before anyone could protest, «we can do this. There is no special reason you have to be there and we know Yodans are unused to women in command.»

Two of the women already had their mouths open so she held up a hand to stop them speaking.

"I am forced to admit you are right, Lars. Very well, we will all go around the back of the small barn while you deal with our prisoners."

Nethra and Larys closed their mouths and looked at Eriana with interest.

"Lars says that he can confront them himself. Let us walk." She gestured and they walked out of the yard and out of potential sight of whatever would happen.

"They have been penned up all night," she explained quietly. "We must feed them, though they do not deserve it, give them water and take away their wastes."

"Captain," Larys asked nervously, "you can do this safely? If they should get loose -"

"It will be as safe as it can be while dealing with such people. My men have done this before." She peered around the corner. "If you would all keep quiet now. It is best if they do not know where we are."

In the yard, Lars faced the large barn doors as Eirik and Ragnar pulled them fully open. He expected to see the soldiers come to the doorway but none did. He took a few steps forward and saw that they had split into two groups, one each end of the barn.

"What is this?"

"They lied! They told us we were still fighting! We did not think ourselves to be outlaws but still soldiers of the Overlords."

"Not true. Have just sailed from city. Overlords are no more."

"But we are not thieves or murderers!" The brown-smock pointed to the other group. "They knew and yet they did not tell us."

Lars saw the point, that they would be treated as common criminals. "Wait there."

He walked around the corner of the small barn. «Captain, they have split into two groups. One group knew the war was over, the other did not. Personally I would just kill them all but that may not be honorable.»

«I agree, Lars. There is nothing we can do for now but let me think about the problem.»

Back at the doorway he told them, "Have no way to keep you apart. You, speaker, come with me to carry water." He turned to the other end and pointed. "You, come with me to carry water."

Buckets of fresh water were carried in, the two groups remaining apart. Different buckets of human waste were carried out by the two men to be added to the latrine pile behind the milking shed.

"Use water to wash," he told the soldiers. "Different water to drink. Bread coming, take time to cook."

The bread had in fact been prepared the previous night, but he wasn't about to tell them that. It had been warming in the ovens and would be ready shortly. Once the twenty-two small loaves had been delivered the doors would be shut once more, leaving the factions to work out their own fates.

* * *

A whistle came from the roof of the large barn, indicating people approaching from the forest. Everyone made ready in case the newcomers were hostile, but Ursula's fairly distinctive silhouette and hairstyle made the defenders relax.

Olof lead the way beside Ursula. Behind them were Kalmenar and Hashim, each with drawn swords. Bennet came next, also with sword drawn. Her other hand towed along a column of eight prisoners, secured by the neck and with their hands tied behind them. Semma, similarly armed, held the tail end of the rope. Then came twelve carts, each pushed by villagers, one of which had a passenger, the ninth surviving Yodan soldier. Several of the others appeared to contain cooking pots.

The track from the forest passed some strides behind the milking shed where the procession turned aside. The column stopped at the edge of the yard, only the first four people coming forward.

"Good morning, all," Eriana greeted the new arrivals. "I see you had some visitors."

"We did," Ursula replied. "Good morning, Captain. Fortunately our early warning system worked and there was no trouble dealing with them. Nine survived, as you can see, four did not. I can repair many wounds but not an ax to the head. I see you have everything under control here?"

"Aye, well, at least the Yodans. All who survive are penned up in the big barn over there. These are all of the same kind, I suppose, so they can join them." Eriana made a wry grin. "As you may also see, occupying this place has given us fresh problems. We have eleven of their captives newly released, all very poorly treated, and we are short of food."

Ursula smiled. "Adin cooked a large meal last night expecting you to return. Olof told us that there was not much food here so we have brought what is left with us. Adin assures me that, once heated again, it will be edible." She wrinkled her nose. "What is that smell?"

"It is best you do not know," Eriana's voice was dry. "Two months, maybe more, spent in captivity."

The healer grimaced. "Oh. I should imagine their ideas of hygiene are fairly basic."

"As you say. They are men! Did you notice the town yonder? I wonder they have not yet approached us. We built a fairly large fire in the yard last night and most slept outdoors around it. The buildings are all too verminous to enter."

"Vermin?"

"Ah, I do not know if you have yet encountered the tiny life that tries to attach itself to the bodies of people. There are many kinds and most cause irritation and disease if not pursued and destroyed. Come to think of it, the vermin that may exist in these warmer lands may be different than those of Einnland. Do you have such on Earth?"

"Many kinds, Captain. I cannot imagine that Anmar would be much different."

"Very well, to business. First, what of Olof? He has returned, I see, how is his wound?"

"Deeper than anything I have treated so far, Captain, but it will not cause him much problem once it is healed. It was on the back of his arm, so there is no obvious tendon damage. He'll just have a scar to show everyone. I have cleaned it properly and sewn it together for him."

"Good. Now, around me you can see five women who were captive to the outlaw Yodans. We have also freed six men who, they tell me, manned the barges we saw tied up along the pontoons when we arrived. Some of the women are also from those barges. They have all been badly treated by the beasts we have penned in the barn behind me and most are very weak. I would like you to see if you can find out what may wrong with them."

Ursula nodded. "Of course, Captain, though I am not sure if I can treat anything serious."

"Understood. From words we have had with them, especially the men, it is likely that most of what is wrong is a lack of food, or perhaps of certain kinds of food. You may know more."

"I will keep that in mind, Captain."

"Some of the Yodans are also ill. After you have looked over the freed captives, I may want you to examine those as well. Obviously, that will be done one at a time and under heavy guard."

"I understand." Ursula looked around. "This is not what I expected. What are all those odd rows of trees?"

"It appears that this was a farm of narakh, an animal which provides milk for the local people. I do not think we have those in Einnland. Narakh apparently eat the leaves from those trees in preference to eating grass. The Yodan soldiers, who apparently are all townspeople, knew nothing of the care of such beasts and just killed and ate them all. All the food that remains here are some drums of flour and sacks of beans, looted from those barges."

"That may explain it. If all they have is bread and beans then their diet will definitely be deficient after a while."

"It is better than that, Ursula! The food was stored poorly in that barn there and most has gone bad. One of the bargemen is a cook and he made sure to feed their captors from the bad food and keep the less bad for themselves, disguising the taste with herbs and spices."

Ursula smiled. "That sounds like justice to me. So," she looked around, "where should I set up? I'll need somewhere so that I can examine people in private."

Eriana pursed her lips. "As I said, the buildings are likely verminous. The barns and the milking shed cannot be used for various reasons. I doubt the women will desire to enter the milking shed ever again! When we depart, I am in mind to burn the whole place down to cleanse the land."

She turned to Lars. «Find some sheets and poles to make an enclosure for Ursula, please. Something like we did on that island, perhaps. It can be put up over there, between the small barn and the farmhouse.»

«I should have thought of doing that before she arrived, Captain.» He nodded to Nethra and stomped off, shouting to the men.

Ursula asked, "What is the matter with him?"

«You may have noticed that the freed women stay close to me. Last night, I slept with two either side, here in this yard. The fifth one, not being able to approach, chose another protector. It is a mystery to me why a woman who has been mistreated by men for months should go and find the largest man in the camp to protect her, presumably from other men!» Eriana shook her head with wonder. «I am a woman, I deem, yet sometimes even I fail to understand the female mind. When Nethra is not by my side she stays close to Lars. He finds the attention to be... unexpected.»

Ursula raised an eyebrow. «Do you approve?»

A shrug. «He has not turned her away. It may be that he has hidden depths. Of course if there is trouble I will intervene.»

Ursula nodded. She understood why Eriana had spoken in Norse in front of the women.

"You're suggesting that they do not want to go near the men but should be comfortable with me and the girls?"

"I hope so, Ursula. If I have to wander around surrounded closely by women, weakened women at that, it may cause other problems. Especially once that town wakes up and notices us."

"Let me get set up and examine everyone, then."

"As you say. What about that Yodan on the cart?"

"He turned to run, fell, and twisted his knee. Not even a combat injury."

"Hmm. He can go in with the rest, then. They won't have much chance to walk anywhere today, I deem."

* * *

"I had better write all this down," Ursula said, pulling the piece of parchment towards her. "Your name?"

"Nethra, Mistress."

"Do you know your age?"

The other woman smiled. "Somewhere around thirty-four or thirty-five years, Mistress."

"How did you come here? The Captain said some of you were from the barges. Does that mean you?"

"It does, Mistress. My husband was owner and master of the Green Ptuvil. I watched the beasts murder the whole crew in front of my eyes because they fought back. It was obvious why they did not kill me, and so it proved."

Ursula gazed sympathetically at her. "It is a woman's lot, Nethra. Unfortunately. At least you have survived, where those who abused you may not for much longer."

"You cannot know how relieved that makes me. To know that no other woman will be threatened by those beasts."

"I hope so. Now, to business. It looks like they had a rope around your neck, what, the entire time?"

"I was never free of that rope from the day I arrived until yesterday when Lars came and cut me free."

Ursula grimaced. "There was no way for you to undo it, cut it or fray it, even chew it?"

"No. The beasts made sure of that." She did not go into details.

"Very well. There is no serious injury there but it looks like you might have something like a burn scar for the rest of your life, unfortunately."

Nethra shrugged. "I am no longer a young girl looking for a husband. If anyone should desire my company, the state of my neck will not be high in their thoughts."

"You may be surprised. Now, for the rest of your body, you are undernourished, just like everyone else seems to be, and because you were stuck in that stall you wouldn't have had much proper exercise."

"I understand it, Mistress. Will it come back? I cannot be a burden the rest of my life."

"Good food and some gentle exercise should solve most of the problems, I think. Do you remember any physical injuries from that time? Ah, muscle strains, broken bones, bruises... female problems?"

"There were bruises, many bruises, until we each understood that the men would have their way whether we objected or not. The beasts gave us a bucket of water each morning to clean ourselves, together with a cloth. In this weather the cloth is dry by noon each day. When Kalikan called we were generally left alone, but the Loytant checked us every day to make sure we were not pretending."

"Hmm. With all that activity, I would have expected at least one pregnancy."

"As you say, Mistress. It was a mystery to us. I know that certain herbs exist which can prevent pregnancy but if they fed them to us I could not say. I certainly never tasted anything strange in the food."

"And the food supply is another matter. Did you know all the food had gone bad? Apparently the soldiers were all townspeople who had no idea how to store it properly."

Nethra shook her head. "I knew the quality was getting worse but not about that, Mistress. What we had was good enough, I suppose, since they wanted their recreation to be in good health when they needed it."

Ursula grimaced again. "I did not like these people before, I like them less now. Tell me, did you all speak to one another?"

"Aye, although we were tethered one to a stall and could not see one another we could talk most of the time. That is how we learned one another's names and where everyone came from."

"So you can tell me about the others, then. The two youngest are not speaking yet."

"They have been captive the longest, Mistress. Matta is from Bakhrad and Vellana from Bakhzorum. It is sad to see them this way. Can you do aught for them, Mistress?"

"It may be possible but it will take time and the right conditions, which the villages might not be able to provide. I will speak with the Captain about them."

"Thank you. I think we of the barges have managed better, though I am guessing we will also have problems?"

"You guess right, Nethra. In your case, I think you have made a good start by choosing Lars as a protector. He is sworn to the Princess so you might give him some difficult questions to answer in the future but as far as I know he is a good man despite appearances."

Nethra chuckled. "As if I would be bothered by appearances! The last several weeks have taught me not to judge by appearances, if nothing else."

"I can only admire your courage and fortitude, Nethra."

"I had little choice, Mistress. Did you know that there were two others penned with us? A young girl who may have been from one of these farms. She could not stand the confinement and the excesses and it destroyed her mind. She managed, somehow, to kill herself one night. There was trouble over that and changes were made to our leashes."

"Oh, dear. Did that frighten the rest of you?"

"Of course, Mistress. The beasts were very angry for two days while they decided what to do, then it all went back to the way it had been before."

"You mentioned two people."

"Aye, Mistress." Nethra's voice softened. "The last was a young man, perhaps not yet an adult. Apparently some of the men were interested that way. I do not know his origins. As I understand it, one of them accidentally killed him during... a session. The Loytant was furious and disembowelled the man in the yard the next morning, in front of all the other men."

Ursula winced. "That shows what some of them were like. Were they all like that?"

"We saw many of the men but, I think, not all. Some did not want to take advantage, that is what I have believed."

"There may be hope for humanity yet," she murmured.

"As you say, Mistress. As you say."

Ursula sat back. "I think I have seen and heard enough, Nethra. Look, do the other women all have your trust?"

"Surely, Mistress." Nethra's eyes questioned Ursula. "What is it you need?"

"If you are comfortable with the idea, and they are comfortable, then I would like you to sit in while I talk to the other women. Matta and Vellana might speak to me if you are present. Would you do that?"

"Of course, Mistress. We have survived the same ordeal, we trust one another. I will do what I can."

* * *

Ursula held up the sheet forming part of her 'consulting booth' so that Zoran could help Vitrak out and to the nearby bench. They were the last of the captives to be examined. The three were promptly handed a bowl of stew and a spoon each.

"What is this? Fish?" Zoran dipped fingers in and pulled out a claw. "Brakky? Vegetables? How is this possible?"

"I can answer that," Ursula replied. "When the men came back from fishing yesterday they shared their catch with us and the ship's cook made up a big batch of stew. We were expecting the Captain and her men to return last night. When they did not, Adin suggested keeping what was left until today. When we were asked to come and to bring handcarts, the solution was obvious."

"That explains the fish," Vitrak remarked, lifted up a fresh spoonful, "but not the vegetables. Even I know that vegetables do not grow in rivers!"

Ursula smiled. "That was a surprise from the villagers we found out yesterday evening. Vegetables may not grow in rivers, but apparently they can grow in tree-tops. The villagers weave baskets and troughs from branches and fill them with soil. Then they place them high in the forest where the fruits and vegetables can get the most sunlight. Apparently the soldiers never realized that food was there above their heads. That was why the villagers have not become ill when everyone here did."

"Do you tell me? Well, you can tell your ship's cook that this stew is delicious. Wait... ship's cook? Just how big is your vessel?"

"Over thirty strides, I was told, and I cannot disagree. We have around thirty on board, proper crew, Her Highness's retainers and passengers like me."

Zoran frowned, although he kept eating. "And yet your ship does not ground in the river?"

She smiled. "You will see. The Visund is not like any ship you will have ever seen before."

They had finished eating when several short, sharp whistles sounded from the barn roof. Fritjof, who had the lookout duty, slid down the shingles and off the edge to land in a heap of forage. Eriana hurried over to him.

«A column approaches from the town, Captain.»

«How big?»

«Maybe ten or twelve, they are still distant. I thought you might need to prepare the farm before they came.»

«You did right, Fritjof.»

There were ten soldiers, walking, led by an officer on a frayen. They all appeared, to Eriana's approval, to be wearing the Ferenis version of camo uniform. When they turned so that they could see past the back of the milking shed, they found Bennet, Lars, Eriana, Kalmenar and Semma spread across the path with drawn swords, though as yet the blades were pointed downward.

"It took you long enough," Eriana told them. "If I may ask for your name and unit."

The officer looked outraged. He dismounted twenty paces away and then approached cautiously, noting the other men watching from the corner of the yard.

"I could ask the same," he replied. "Who are you, to wear such strange attire? What business have you in these lands?"

"Fair is fair," she said. "I am Her Highness Princess Eriana of Palarand, presently Captain of a ship traveling the Sirrel. This is Commander Lars, leader of my fighting men. Lord Kalmenar of Palarand, my diplomatic advisor. She is Guardswoman Bennett and she is Guardswoman Semma, both of His Majesty's Palace Guard. You have not yet answered my question."

The man reddened. "I am Lootenant Vanik of Ferenis," he replied. "3rd Wabern Militia Regiment. We have come to discover what disturbance has happened at an apparently deserted farm."

"This farm is not deserted, in fact, has probably never been deserted," she responded. "Nor have the villages of Bakhrad or Bakhzorum been abandoned. Who told you this?"

"When we arrived at the town we were welcomed and told that the war had ravaged part of the countryside." He frowned. "How do you know if the villages are deserted or not? Where did you come from?"

"Bakhrad has a small port on the creek of the same name. Our ship arrived there and we were met by a band of Yodan deserters. We fought them off and discovered that they were using this farm as their lair. We came by night and subdued them. The twenty-two survivors are penned up in one of the barns." Eriana added, "Your ten men are too few for this duty. If you would return to Bakhmenek and ask the officer who administers the town to join us, bringing with him at least twenty more men. There are matters which must needs be discussed."

"I must doubt your words... Mistress. If there was a band of Yodans out here we would have noticed."

Eriana raised her blade. "You name me liar at your peril, Lootenant. If you do not withdraw your words I will meet you in the ring of honor, as is required."

"But -"

"Sarjant, if you do not do as I ask then we will deal with you and your men and go to the town ourselves. We have already dealt with fifty of the enemy, your ten will offer scant recreation. The day progresses, we have prisoners to transfer and you are wasting time."

Lars bared his teeth and the officer shuddered. He abruptly turned and ran back to his frayen. Mounting it he gave instructions to a non-com before flicking the reins and heading back down the track towards Bakhmenek.

Eriana watched him go and sniffed. "Yet another know-it-all. Look at him ride! He has only the old style saddle but Lars could run faster than that!"

Kalmenar commented, "I agree, Highness. It looks like the quality of the troops sent to secure the countryside is... average, shall I say. I just hope that his commanding officer is more awake."

"As you say, My Lord. Let me see if I may make use of those men. That File Leader, or whatever he is, looks somewhat more intelligent than the officer was."

"The non-commissioned officers usually are, Highness."

She performed the considerable feat of sheathing her sword while still wearing her baldric before walking slowly forward towards the Ferens. They began to back away but she held up a hand.

"Have no fear, gentlemen. Despite appearances and words we are not about to set upon you. You are ten, you are too few for the task we must needs give you. If I may ask your name?"

"Sarjant Bixan, uh, are you really a Princess?"

"It is true, I am a Princess of Palarand, allies of Ferenis, but here and now I am only a Captain of a ship and Captain of men. You may address me thus to avoid confusion."

Bixen still bowed. "Ca- Captain, what is it you seek of us?"

"First, answers to some simple questions. You were told these lands were empty."

"Aye, uh, Captain. When the advance party reached the town months ago there was no trouble and we were welcomed in. Those in the town told us that these lands, and the two villages, had been abandoned. Do you tell me that is not true?"

"Indeed it is not, Sarjant Bixan. There was a band of perhaps fifty Yodan soldiers, ah, let us say soldiers of the Ascendancy, billeted at this farm and another to the north. By that means they controlled access to the two villages and used them to feed themselves... amongst other things. I suspect that someone in the town is in league with them, to turn the eye of Ferenis away from this direction, that they might profit thereby."

Bixan thought hard. "Captain, you may be right. What can we do?"

"My problem is that I do not want to go too far from the water, where my ship is berthed. It is for that reason I do not want to go to Bakhmenek, nor should any of my ship's complement go. We have prisoners which must be removed for judgment and justice. We have caught them but we cannot hold them long. I will tell you that some appear deceived, that were not told the war was ended and that therefore what they did remained legal."

He nodded. "I understand, Captain. Legal? What do you mean by that?"

"They captured three barges over the last two months before we arrived - and since the war officially ended. Most of those crewing the barges were killed excepting some few they used as labor. The cargoes were stolen, they were mostly food which has now been eaten. The women... were tethered in this building like beasts and used for the men's enjoyment. For more than two months."

Bixen winced. "Captain, war or not, what you describe is not legal. I just hope that this can be put right."

Her response was dry. "As you say, Sarjant, but the dead cannot be returned to life nor any woman unraped. Shall you and your men come with me and view those we have caught?"

The barn doors had been closed in the event of trouble and were now opened again. Bixen approached and stared at the men inside, still separated into two groups. Some of them recognized his uniform and began to edge forward. He stepped back.

"Captain, I understand your problem. With this many men to manage, and uncertain who in Bakhmenek you may trust, you were right to stay away."

"But there are enough of Ferenis in the town to handle them?"

"Surely, Captain. The town is small but it is an important stop on the trade road so we have two battalions who operate from there, though our units are rotated along the road from time to time. If I may ask, how many are here? Why have they split into two?"

"There are twenty-two here but the six on the left thought they were still at war. There is also an under-officer, the only officer to have survived, penned up separately in a smaller outbuilding."

Bixen considered for a while but shook his head. "Captain, until Lootenant Vanik returns with reinforcements I doubt we can contribute much."

"Then we must wait until more come from the town. Will you and your men drink pel? There is no reason you should stand around until they arrive."

Bixan grinned. "I thank you, Captain, for the kind thought. I wish my own officers were more like you!"

* * *

The lookout, this time Ragnar, climbed more carefully down from the roof of the large barn to approach Eriana and Bixan.

«Captain, a large column comes from the town. At least three on frayen and more than forty on foot, maybe more than fifty. As often happens they are throwing up too much dust to count properly.»

«Very well. Thank you, Ragnar.» She turned to Bixan. "They are coming so we had better go greet them."

"Somebody must have stirred them up," he remarked. "They came sooner than I expected, Captain."

"Indeed? Let us see if they will speak sensibly with me."

There was absolutely no difficulty this time. The lead rider wore a Marshal's sash and beamed with pleasure when he caught sight of Eriana. He dismounted and strode forward, his hand outstretched.

"Your Highness! I am delighted to see you again! Though I did not expect it to be in the wilds of Yod."

They shook hands, following which he stood to attention and saluted.

"I must ask your pardon, Marshal, that I do not remember your name or where we met."

He smiled. "Naturally, Your Highness. After all, there was only one tall, fair-haired woman warrior wielding an improbable sword upon that field of battle but any number of Marshals that day, come to give your brave men relief. I am not surprised you do not remember me! If I may introduce myself, I am Marshal Boranar of Ferenis, presently Military Governor of North-Western Yod south of the capital. My prime responsibility is the trade road.

"I arrived in Bakhmenek four days ago and was due to leave tomorrow when Vanik returned from a patrol telling me a curious story of a deserted farm, a woman with yellow hair and a large sword, two other uniformed women with swords and a number of large hairy men. I knew immediately who was here and I wondered why. I put together a column and here we are."

His gaze was intent. "Highness, my men are at your service."

The tension went out of Eriana's shoulders immediately. "Marshal, I am very pleased to see you again, even if I do not remember meeting you before. You speak, of course, of Gylfi's Rest and our action there. We have visited the memorial your people erected there and I was most touched. Now, as to the present circumstances, I have made a plan and there is much to do. There are also things you need to know concerning why those of Bakhmenek thought these farms to be deserted, and the villages Bakhrad and Bakhzorum to be abandoned."

"Ah? Highness, instruct me."

Eriana explained her suspicions and why she thought the area had been considered abandoned. Boronar's eyes were hard.

"Highness, We know that there are usually some in every place who prefer what went before but this is different. To leave a band roaming the countryside for at least two months, and nobody knew! I have passed through Bakhmenek several times during that period and saw nothing amiss. Knowing what I now do, I will subject that town to a careful cleaning, that no-one shall escape judgment.

"But, speaking of judgment, what do you intend to do with those you have caught?"

"First, I will introduce you to those that they held prisoner, that you may judge their villainy."

After listening to the men, and seeing the five women and discovering how two of them reacted to his presence, he was incensed.

"War or not, they shall pay the price for this!"

"But you will fairly condemn them in a court in the town, that no-one shall say you were hasty?"

"Highness, I could do nothing else. We must show these people - the folk of the town, I mean - that we follow the law of the land as they must needs do."

"I ask for nothing more. But I have other plans for this place, by your leave."

She explained what she wanted to do and there was instant agreement. "It is fitting, Highness, and entirely in keeping with the customs of the Valley. How may my men assist?"

"First, we must needs remove the captives, ah, their captives, from the sight of these beasts. Then -"

The six men and five women were helped onto the carts which the villagers had left behind. The twelfth cart carried all the empty food containers. While Boronar's men took over guard duties some of the Norse, together with Ursula, Semma and Bennett, pushed the carts back down the track to Bakhrad. There, the freed captives were taken into the hostel while many of the men's belongings were packed up and stacked in the common room.

Cautious interviews with Kedith confirmed Ursula's suspicions, that Matta and Vellana would have to come away with the Visund's crew when they departed. Neither would consider remaining in either village where they were known to all the inhabitants. It was not shame, exactly, but something deeper that only time could hope to repair. Kedith was unsure whether either would ever be accepted back, even though both were completely innocent.

Once the six men and five women were in a safe place the Norse loaded all the Yodan bodies onto the carts and returned to the farmstead. The sailors went with them this time as the village was now deemed to be safe.

By the time the carts returned with their heavy loads, much had happened at the farmstead. The Yodan troops had been removed from the barn and seated along the track, trussed and roped together to watch proceedings. The six who had denied knowing that the war was ended were placed separately, as was under-officer Zerron.

More of the troops had been employed digging up all the bodies the Yodans had buried during their stay. Most of these had been captives. With axes and tools from the other barn, the Norse had gaily begun to dismantle the large barn, making a long tidy pile of timber in its place. When this was finished all the Yodan bodies were arrayed along the pile. A separate funeral pyre was created in the center of the yard for their victims, who were almost as numerous as the Yodan dead.

Marshal Boranar asked Eriana, "Why did they not burn their dead? Such a break with custom is dishonorable."

She replied, "I believe there are two reasons, Marshal. The first is that the smoke would be plainly visible in the town during the day and the flames by night. A second reason might be that, remember, they had around sixty to seventy mouths to feed and they needed all the wood available as fuel."

He grunted. "Ah, I had overlooked the cooking aspect of this. It is amazing that they had not already starved."

"It would not have been long, had we not arrived. All of them are badly nourished, some worse than others. It was only by the efforts of their slave cook that there are any captives left alive at all."

He grimaced and stepped forward to stand in front of the Yodans, most of whom looked sullen. "Normally I would have just walked you off to the town, there to be judged as you deserve," he told them. "However, we are not like you, we treat our dead with respect. That is why you are still here, to watch your companions consigned to the flames. Also here are victims of your madness and cruelty, also given the respectful end that they deserve." Some of them looked ashamed.

"None of this need have happened had you obeyed the lawful orders and surrendered your arms. You could have returned to friends, and family, had you desired, or gone anywhere else if you desired otherwise. Some who did, I have been told, have even found useful work in Palarand."

There were several disbelieving glances at that statement.

"That will not happen to you. Once we have finished here you will be escorted to Bakhmenek, there to be tried by your own people. I will not let my rage and fury decide your fate."

He turned abruptly away and walked back to face the pyre of the victims.

"The Maker made the world, and the Sun, the moons and the stars above. The Maker made the plants and creatures within the world including ourselves. We do not know the Maker's purpose, and we do not know if the Maker has ever visited the world since it was made. All we know is that the world is the Maker's creation, not ours, and we have a responsibility to live in the world in such a way that it is kept as the Maker may have originally intended.

"To that end we offer to return the bodies of these victims, who have no further use for them, so that the substance of which they are made can be used by the world again. We offer these bodies as a token of our responsibility and as the last act which these poor people will make in the world."

He nodded to Lars, who held a burning stave ready. He applied this to the pyre of the victims. It caught quickly as the Norse had heaped the sweet-smelling forage from the barns around the timbers. Soon the flames were licking around the shrouded figures on top.

Once he was sure that the fire had taken hold, he nodded to Lars again. Lars turned and waved an arm. Several Norse came forward with flaming wood, these were first applied to the other pyre and then to the remaining buildings. Eriana walked over to join Boranar.

"Marshal, I would advise that you find somewhere else to stand. It will shortly become too warm here."

"Eh? Ah, as you say!"

The two walked over to the track to join most of the others. Some Feren soldiers had been positioned to ensure that the flames did not spread to the trees in the 'orchard' but most watched from a safe distance.

She remarked, "Marshal, I believe that this may be the first time that we Norse have officially sacked a farmstead."

"What's that? Highness, you have a strange sense of humor, but this time I do not think you are joking. I am a prudent man, I shall not enquire further."

"It is in our past now, Marshal. We have learned much during our time in Palarand, and in other places along the Sirrel."

"Thank the Maker for that! No matter how many men I had, I do not wish to meet you and your crew in combat, anywhere, any time."

There was a thump from the smaller barn.

"What was that?"

"Probably the gunpowder."

"Gunpowder? Maker, we could all have been killed! Why did you not say?"

"Lars investigated it this afternoon before you arrived, Marshal. It was all so damp that he doubted it would even burn. In fact, the guns we had pointed at us were probably a bluff. We must needs treat them as workable, though."

"As you say. How many guns have you recovered?"

"There were two in Bakhrad, Zerron's men brought two and there were four here. All very poorly made and two of those here were red with rust. Sarjant Bixan's men have them to take to the town. I would suggest that you just give them to the nearest smith to be made into something useful."

He nodded. "The best thing for them, Highness. Well, I think we have done enough here and we each have to get back to our lodgings before dark. I will call at Bakhrad tomorrow morning, by your leave, to speak of those other matters."

"Of course, Marshal. And thank you for your help today."

They each saluted and turned in opposite directions.

«Well done, all, for a difficult day's work.» she told her men. «Now let us go back to the village and see what the fishermen have found for us.»

The two parties walked off along the track in opposite directions, leaving the flames of the burning farmstead leaping high into the dusk air.

up
185 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

VERY clever

I see the length of this episode!

---

Oh! And the writing's good too.

J

(Yes, Appendices are being updated right now!)

an official sacking?

"this may be the first time that we Norse have officially sacked a farmstead"

giggles

DogSig.png

"Pillage, burn, THEN rape.

"Pillage, burn, THEN rape. It's more romantic by firelight."


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

It would be interesting

Find out what a trial would decide what punishment these gentlemen deserve.

Trial of the Yodans

That will happen in Bakhmenek where Eriana does not want to go.

When Boranar turns up the next morning he will tell them what has happened so far. Depending how long the Visund stays, we may learn more, but don't hold your breath.

Eriana suddenly has other things to think about.

Penny

I think the new passengers,

I think the new passengers, the bargers likely heading the same way and two locals whom are going to stick with them for a while, are of more pressing concern, as are all the knives, swords spears and crossbows that they can rightfully claim as their spoils. The swords and crossbows especially, even of average quality those can be expensive, and useful. The knives they can pick out the better ones from the pile and provide them to those of the expanded party that lack them. Crossbows are quiet, at least compared to firearms, and it's easier to make a repeating crossbow (to a point) than a repeating rifle with what they have available, and regardless, having and carrying a few crossbows can inform them of the features the desire when they commission equipment. That said, with the emphasis the Institute of Engineers has been given on interchangeable parts, i don't think the issues that led to some of the quirks of their current firearms will be persistent for long

As on Earth, so too on Anmar

Diet and exercise? Really? :D lol
Doctors and healers are the same everywhere :)

non com

Kalmenar's comment on the intelligence of noncoms vs commissioned officers emphasizes the importance of establishing a military academy, and weeding out political appointments at least for Navy and Marines. When you receive unexpected reports of enemy action, you don't assume them to be inaccurate, you verify, and update your intel. if its a feint, you've just defeated it, if its not, you now can deal with the problem. They may not have the history of waterborne conflict to establish a specifically naval school, but getting core ideas and procedures down and shared across Federation armed forces, is a must