Chapter 12 - Parental Guidance Suggested

Printer-friendly version

Link: The Road to Hell Title Page and Description

--

Sitting in Jennifer's bedroom, the door open, and with a promise from her parents not to 'wander by' to check up on them for at least half an hour, the two sat on her bed next to one another. Before the three had returned to the Healy's home, Josh had decided that it was now or never, so he'd asked her parents for a moment of semi-privacy to talk with Jennifer alone first.

"So... um... what was it that you needed to tell me?" Jennifer asked quietly, smiling at what she hoped it might be. As she spoke, she ran her fingers along the back of Josh's hand.

Taking a sharp breath, Josh looked at her, his heart hammering away in his chest at her closeness and her touch. "Um... can... I like that, but I need to say this and I can't think when you do that!"

Giggling, Jennifer ceased driving him to distraction. "OK... for now. So what did you want to talk about?"

"Me." he explained simply. Starting at the beginning, he laid out how his parents had insisted since he was five that he was gay, then how when he'd kept insisting that he wasn't gay his parents essentially forced him to accept being transgendered. They'd done nothing illegal; no law covered his exact situation. Josh had essentially acquiesced.

"Plus, you know... I'm really girly!" he laughed, making her laugh with him.

"Joss... um... Josh... I guess..." she asked, "I don't care! I like you! More than like really, I think I'm falling for you." She ran her fingertips along his hand again. "When I look at you, all I see is someone beautiful. Like I said, I think I fell for you that first day when you were still dressed like... um... like a boy, I guess. Even then, even with everyone calling you Josh and the clothes you wore, you were still pretty. Not handsome or cute, but... pretty. Beautiful, really! Does that make you mad?"

Closing his eyes as he reveled in the feel of her touch and her words, not even caring that being called pretty and beautiful made him feel wonderful, Josh shook his head to clear it. "Jenn? We're still just kids... and I promised your parents we wouldn't... um..."

Running her finger up his arm, raising gooseflesh as it went, she loved seeing how good she could make him feel. "The first rule was that we couldn't be alone someplace with the door closed." Looking over at the open door, she smiled. "It isn't closed! The second rule was no PDAs. We're not in public. The last rule was never anything in front of Luke. He's not here."

Vaguely aware that she was right, they were doing nothing directly against her parents' rules, Josh felt that they were perhaps violating the spirit of them. Looking up at her though, he couldn't think anymore.

"Jocelyn?" Jennifer said as she stopped and withdrew her hand. "I... um... I want my first kiss to be with you. Will you let me kiss you?"

Seeing him nod slightly, their fingers linked, she leaned in close and pressed her lips to his as their eyes closed. It was just a simple kiss, honestly no more than the kisses he used to give his parents. When he felt her soft lips against his though, and felt the emotional connection it brought with it, he found that a 'simple kiss' could mean so much more. The kiss lingered for several moments that stretched into eternity for the two. Slowly, they parted and opened their eyes once more.

As Josh stared into her gaze, he saw within the girl a need; a storming hunger for much more. It was so fierce it scared him. Trembling slightly, his voice wavered as he spoke. "That was... really nice. Can we go slow? Can you?"

Seeing the fear in his eyes and hearing it in his voice, Jennifer scooted back slightly. "I'm sorry! I didn't mean..." At a loss for how to apologize for terrifying him so much, guilt washed over her like a tidal wave. "Jocelyn, I won't ever push you for more than you're ready for, OK? I promise! I know I wanna do more... a lot more... but hurting you to get it would make it terrible, not wonderful. Can you forgive me?"

Nodding as he relaxed, he looked at her kindly. "Anytime, Jenn! I promise I'll let you know when I'm ready for more." Smiling mischievously he added, "For now, can we just do that again?"

Like an animal that had just broken free of the chain that bound it, Jennifer kissed him again, this time letting her free hand touch his face. As the kiss once more ended, she blew out a breath. "Wow! You are so beautiful! I could do that all day!" Kissing him a third and much longer time, they were in the middle of it when they heard the voice behind them.

"Jenny dear, your fath... Oh, God!" Vicky gasped as she instantly regretted not knocking first.

Breaking the kiss and glancing at the clock, Jennifer saw she and Josh had five minutes left of their half-hour. "Mom! You promised! It's not time yet!"

Her eyes cast down at the floor, she very nearly yelled at her daughter before regaining her emotional composure. "I'm sorry! I'm sorry!" she cried. Unsure if she could ever get used to the idea of her daughter kissing another girl, she remembered all that she and John had talked about and the promise she'd made to never risk driving their daughter away. "I'll... I'll come back in a few minutes." she stammered as she blindly turned toward the door, still looking down.

"Mom!" Jennifer sighed exasperatedly. "Come back! We're done talking anyway."

Stopping and slowly looking up, she was relieved to see Jennifer standing behind her and not on the bed with Josh. "Sweetheart, I am sorry. I lost track of the time and I wanted to let you know that your father was going to offer to drive Jocelyn home. I... I'll try to be more careful in the future." Smiling weakly, she hoped Jennifer would understand. "You're just growing up so fast and... it's hard to keep up!"

Walking up to and hugging her mom, Jennifer sighed. "It's fine, Mom. Like I said, we were done talking."

Seeing an opportunity to both grow from the experience and at the same time break the shame threatening the two preteens, Vicky smirked. "That's not what we called it when I was your age!"

"Mother!" Jennifer gasped as she backed away from her, turning beat red.

"Oh, Jennifer!" she countered with a smile. "I was a child of the eighties! You think I never had a boy up in my room when I was in Middle School?" Looking over at Josh, she bit her lower lip embarrassedly. "Not that I was calling you a boy, Jocelyn! Far from it! You're a lovely young girl, and..." Forcing herself to say it out loud, she completed her thought. "Jenny is very blessed to have found you! You're very special!"

"You don't know the half of it." Josh said exasperatedly. "I was wondering if you would ask Mr. Healy in? There's something I need to tell you both and I don't think I can do it more than once."

"Certainly, dear." she answered softly. "I'll get him. Watch the time, though. You need to get home soon." Exiting calmly, she went to fetch her husband.

"Jenn?" Josh asked. "Can... can you sit next to me and hold my hand? This'll probably be the scariest thing I've ever done. I don't think I can do it alone."

Nodding with a smile, she sat next to him and put her hand in his again, giving it a squeeze before giving him a peck on the cheek. "For luck!"

Staring into each other's eyes, they heard Vicky and John coming this time and scooted slightly apart, though still holding hands. As her parents came in, Vicky took a seat at the desk chair while John stood behind her and held her shoulders to comfort her.

"Jocelyn, dear." Vicky said with a blush as she handed him a tissue, "You have... um... Jenny's lipstick... on your cheek."

Quickly rubbing it off with the kleenex, Josh turned red and looked up at the two. "Sorry. Um... I wanted to tell you that you two have been nicer to me than even my own parents. They love me, I know that, but sometimes they get so caught up in doing what other people tell them is the right thing to do they get carried away... and I kinda just get swept along with their ideas... like I'm some science experiment or something."

"I need to tell you something because you two have been so nice... I just can't let today end without you knowing." he said as he looked them each in the eye in turn. "You trusted me to be honest, but there's something about me that I've kept from you. I convinced myself it was just my own business, but I want you two to never doubt my honesty, so I need to tell you."

Vicky faced up toward John who nodded his assent to let her speak for them both. "Jocelyn, you don't have to share your private matters for us to trust you, dear! You're an honest girl and we..."

"Boy." Josh interrupted in correction.

"Pardon?" Vicky said confusedly.

"You said honest girl. That's wrong. I'm an honest boy."

Looking at him carefully, she couldn't make the words make sense. "Um... you think you're like a boy? Is that because you like other girls?"

Sighing, he let it all out. "No, I mean I am a boy. My parents are convinced that I'm transgendered... that I want to be a girl... so they forced me to accept the idea. They took away all my boy clothes, are changing my name, and I'm sure that pretty soon they'll try to put me on hormone blockers so that I don't grow into a man. I don't think I'm a girl. I'm pretty sure I'm a boy. I just act like a girl a lot, so they think that means I want to be one."

Gaping at the boy in horror at the idea, Vicky shook her head in stunned disbelief. "No. No, I can't believe you! No parent would do that to their own child! You're lying!"

Shaking his head, he looked down at the floor between them. "I wish I were. Lying would be easier. For seven years they thought I was gay. They sent me to a summer camp for gay boys. I fought 'em. I argued, denied, yelled, cried, and did everything short of marry a girl to prove to 'em I wasn't gay, but they wouldn't listen. Then, just before this summer vacation ended, they told me they think I'm transgender and want to be a girl. I tried to fight it, but when they took away all my boy clothes, I had no choice. So I gave up. I let them treat me like a girl. I even tried to like it... but I can't. I'm a boy."

Seeing his hangdog look, the two looked at their daughter. "Jenny?" Vicky asked gently. "Did you know this?"

At first shaking her head, she then shrugged. "Some of it." she admitted. "I knew she used to be a boy. She dressed like one the first day of school, but even then she looked like a girl wearing boy clothes. I didn't know it wasn't her choice until today, though. That's what she wanted to talk to me about after our walk with Daddy."

Vicky slowly sat up. "You mean, you knew that..." She struggled with the idea for a moment before continuing. "...that he was a boy... when I came in? When you were..."

"Kissing?" Jennifer finished for her. "Yeah. It's sorta weird. Even knowing Jocelyn's a boy, I don't really care. I just like her so much!"

Taking a moment, the two parents stepped outside the bedroom door to discuss the issue in whispers. Meanwhile, Josh felt Jennifer lay her head on his shoulder.

"I don't think they're mad." she said softly. "I just wish I knew what they were gonna do." As the two returned to the room, Jennifer sat back up.

"Jenny?" Vicky said sweetly. "Would you wait in the living room, please? We need to talk to... um... Jocelyn... alone."

Squeezing his hand, the young girl got up and left. Josh then looked at them nervously. "You can call me Josh, if you want. That's my real name."

Taking it slowly, Vicky sighed. "OK then... Josh... we first wanted to say we're glad you felt you could confide in us. It tells us that the trust we have in you was well placed. Knowing this actually makes things easier for John and I to accept. But..." She paused, trying to figure out the right words.

Josh's heart sank. "...but you don't want me to be around Jenn anymore? I was kinda expecting that."

"That's not what I was going to say!" she admonished. "What I was going to say was that we'd like to help. We don't understand all this, but John and I feel that you're a gift from God. You're a boy, but Jenny likes you... and that's good! We can accept that Jenny likes other girls, we have no choice, but we didn't want her to have to face a world that would be so hard on her. A world that would drive her away from her faith and deny her so much of what life has to offer just because she's... different. Her liking you, and you wanting to be a boy, means she doesn't have to face so much hardship."

Taking it all in, Josh nodded. "So... how do you think you can help?"

"We'd like to talk to your parents." John stated. "We think we can help you make them see that being a girl isn't what you want."

Josh almost laughed. "Seriously? You think they'd listen to you?"

"We can try." Vicky said with a smile.

Shaking his head, Josh exhaled in futility. "It's no good. I already gave in and told them they were right. They won't believe you." Taking a breath he looked up at them. "Can you give me some time to work on them? Believe me, I want you to help, but if you just show up today and try to tell them I'm really a boy, it'll be no good. They'll just get mad and say I can't be around you or Jenn anymore. That you all are bad for my 'self identity' or that you're just being 'preachy and close-minded' or some junk like that."

"We still need to meet them... Josh." Vicky struggled with the name, having a difficult time putting it on the 'obvious girl' seated on her daughter's bed. "Would you mind if we drove you home?"

"Sure." he said with a weak smile. "Just don't mention God, church, or me really wanting to be a boy... for now. Please? Just give me a chance to work them up to it?"

The two looked at one another and nodded. "Alright, dear. We'll be patient, but you can't take forever. We'll give you a few weeks, but then we really should talk to them. Do you want us to call you Jocelyn until then?"

"Please?" he asked. "Just around them? Or you can call me Joss. That's what my friend Trace... I mean, Tracy... calls me. It's pretty close to Josh!"

Smiling at him as Vicky stood up, she helped him to stand as well. "Well then... Joss, why don't we go ahead and drive you home?"

Sitting in the back seat of the minivan, Josh held Jennifer's hand and watched her looking at him with a worried expression. He'd already called home and warned his parents to expect company. "It'll be OK, Jenn." he tried to calm her fears. "They're not ogres... just... misguided."

Jennifer giggled at that and Josh was happy to see her smile. Pulling along the curb in front of his home, Vicky got out and opened the side door for the two preteens, the girl having already begged to let her go in with him.

While the three walked up the flagstone walkway toward Josh's front door, Jennifer squeezed his hand so tight he felt she might crush it. Reaching the door, he opened it with his free hand. "Come on in." he invited Jennifer and her mother. "Mom! Daddy! We're here!" he shouted as the three stepped into the living room.

Melanie came out of the master bedroom and smiled at Josh and his guests. "Welcome home, sweetheart!" she said as she walked up to him and gave him a quick hug. "You must be Vicky!" she said as she looked at the woman. "And you must be Jennifer!" she said, at last shaking the girl's hand. "Please! Make yourselves at home!" she gestured to the sofa.

"We can't stay." Vicky said regretfully. "My husband John and our son Luke are waiting in the car. I just thought it best if we actually met, seeing as how well the... girls... are getting on." She looked at Josh and Jennifer holding hands.

Smiling weakly, Melanie looked at the two. "I take it then that today was a... pleasant day?" she addressed Josh, gently probing to see if he was hurt in any way. Seeing the blush on his and Jennifer's cheeks, and the happy nod from him, told her all she wanted to know.

"Can I show Jenn my room before they go, Mom?" Josh asked sweetly. "I want to show her my movie posters!"

"Make it quick." Melanie said as Fred joined them while the two children ran up the stairs.

"Jocelyn..." Vicky said carefully, trying her best to keep up appearances as she promised, "...was an angel! Always polite and honest, about everything." She emphasized her words with a pointed look to show that she knew about Josh.

Tilting her head slightly, she looked in the other woman's eyes and saw kind understanding. "And you're OK with them seeing each other?"

"Jenny isn't allowed to date yet, Mrs. Ryan..."

"Please, call me Melanie... or just Mel! By the way, this is Jocelyn's father, Fred."

Nodding to him, Vicky flustered as she tried to continue. "As I was saying, Jenny isn't really allowed to date yet, but we... that is, John and I... we think it would be OK for the... the girls... to see each other socially. Even in just these past few days, they're already very close."

Melanie furrowed her brow at the other woman. "I take it that you're not thrilled that your daughter likes our daughter? It's not like they have a choice in the matter..."

"Oh! I know!" Vicky interrupted. " I actually think that Jocelyn could be just about the best person, boy or girl, for my Jenny to have feelings for! She's such a wonderful child! Polite, honest, and very up-front. She... she insisted that she tell us she used to be... well... a boy."

"She didn't used to be a boy." Fred argued the point. "She was always a girl. We just... well... we didn't understand that until recently."

Vicky was starting to see what Josh had tried to tell her about his parents. "I... I'm sorry. I put that badly. This is all new to me."

Melanie's expression softened. "It's alright. We see you're trying and not judging, that's what matters! As far as we're concerned, Jocelyn is free to date anyone she likes. It's not like we could stop them, right? They'd just do it behind our backs, anyway. I just want her to be careful and take all of the appropriate precautions. We don't want her to get hurt."

Nodding as she swallowed hard, Vicky was overwhelmed by the need to go before she said something she'd regret.

Leading Jennifer into his room, Josh stopped in the middle and gestured to his prized movie posters. "See? Aren't they..." Just as he turned to face her, Jennifer cupped his face in her hands and kissed him, this time much more sure of herself and more full of passion than the earlier kisses.

Josh could only relax into the moment and let her kiss him, relishing it.

Enjoying the feel of his lips and the warmth of him next to her, Jennifer at last languidly backed off and breathed heavily. "Sorry. I... I don't know what came over me. I just... I needed to do that!" she apologized as her hands ran down the arms of Josh's blouse, then linked her fingers in his. "Show me!" she said happily, turning to see the posters.

Overcome, Josh was stupefied for a moment before his brain started to work again. "Um... oh. Oh yeah! Uh, this one was... um... the first one I found." he sputtered as he indicated the poster for West Side Story.

Explaining where and how he found it, Jennifer came around behind him, her arms wrapping around his chest and her chin resting on his left shoulder as she pressed her cheek against his. Sighing contentedly, she listened as he slowly stammered through the story. After a minute, the two heard Jennifer's mother calling from downstairs.

"Jenny! We need to go, dear!"

Turning him abruptly, Jennifer kissed him on the lips once more, this time quickly, but much more aggressively and with an almost pained expression. "Oh, Jocelyn! I wish I never had to leave you ever again!" she nearly cried.

Hugging his girlfriend to help ease her upset, he let go and took her by the hand, heading out of the bedroom and down the stairs. "We'll see each other tomorrow at school! I'm gonna see if my parents will let me come over for 'Sunday brunch' again." he winked at her. "I wanna hear more of what I heard today!"

"What's that, princess?" Fred asked curiously.

"Oh, just talking before brunch." he answered vaguely. "Can I go? Please?"

"Jocelyn, you don't need to ask our permission!" Melanie smiled. "Your father and I got a chance to talk with Vicky and we so no reason why you shouldn't be free to go over there any time you like! We'll get you a city bus pass so it'll be easier. OK? And Jennifer? You're free to make yourself at home here anytime you like!"

"We really do have to go." Vicky said as she started moving toward the door. "I'm sorry I don't have more time to sit and really talk, but John and my son are outside waiting!"

Josh hugged Jennifer warmly and slowly. "See you at school, Jenn!"

Reveling in his embrace, Jennifer hummed contentedly. "See you tomorrow!" Pulling themselves apart, she backed away towards her mother waiting at the door; her eyes never leaving Josh's return gaze. "Bye... Jocelyn!"

"Bye... Jennifer!" After the two parted, Josh collapsed onto the couch with a dreamy look on his face. "I love the way she says my name!"

Fred came up behind Melanie, wrapping his arms around her stomach, unknowingly mimicking what Jennifer had just done with Josh upstairs. Smiling down on their child, they waited for him to come out of his haze before saying anything.

Sitting up, feeling the vacant hole in his heart that Jennifer had left, he looked up at them. "What?"

The two laughed as Melanie slipped in to sit next to him. "We're just happy for you, sweetheart! Jennifer seems like a wonderful girl! It's obvious she's attracted to you, too! I'm surprised you two came down so quickly after her mother called for her!"

"Mom!" Josh whined. "We're just kids! We weren't up there making out! Yes, I like her... a lot... and she likes me... maybe more than I like her, but I told her I want to go slow. So no making out in my room!"

Melanie shook her head dismissively. "Make any rules you want, sweetheart. Just know that they're your rules and you can change them anytime you see fit. Just make sure you close your door. I'll have your father put a lock on it tomorrow while you're at school, so you can have all the privacy you need."

Sighing, Josh was finding himself wishing his parents would set boundaries for him for once. It's like they don't even care what happens to me!

"Come on, lover girl!" Melanie said as she helped him to his feet. "Let's have dinner and you can tell us all about your day!"

Walking with his parents into the dining room, he knew one thing he wasn't going to tell them about. Well, that and the kisses! he thought with a smile.

up
125 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

What's Next?

Dee Sylvan's picture

This really is a very good story. The plot has an unusual twist, but now we have come to a familiar spot. Josh has acquiesced to the point of being stuck dressing like a girl for the foreseeable future. But is that all bad? He kinda of likes the clothes. He's got a girlfriend that likes him as both a boy and a girl. His girlfriends parents love him and thank god for his maleness. His own parents love him and love his girlfriend. So why upset this lovely little apple cart? -Dee

DeeDee

Why

RobertaME's picture

Why upset things? Because it's all built on a stack of lies. Josh isn't learning to like being a girl... because you can't learn to like being something you aren't. He's accepting the situation because he has no choice. He doesn't like the clothes... he wears them for lack of alternatives. Melanie and Fred like Jennifer because they believe she's reinforcing "Jocelyn's" gender... and as to whether they love Josh or not... that's the $64,000 question, isn't it?

When I was young, stuck in a life a hated for lack of choice to be myself, I doubted my parents' love for me. Why should I have doubted it? They took care of me... made sure I had a loving home... food to eat... an education to improve myself... toys to play with... so why should I doubt their love? Because they loved Robert. They didn't even know me... so how could they ever really love me... the daughter they refused to acknowledge even existed? I tried to like being their son... but I never could. It just wasn't me.

Thousands of TG girls grew up in Josh's exact situation, just the other way around... being made to live as boys against their will. They learned to accept the inevitable... that their parents would only love and tolerate them if they were a boy... and tried to learn to like it... but they never could. Josh affirms that in this chapter when he says, "So I gave up. I let them treat me like a girl. I even tried to like it... but I can't. I'm a boy."

It would be nice if he could learn to like living as a girl... it's what his parents want... it's what Jenny wants... but the reality is that it can never be. Josh can no more learn to like being a girl than I could learn to like being a boy. It just doesn't work that way.

Hope you're enjoying the story... and that maybe it gives something to think about.

Hugs,
Roberta

sorry to say but paren's like that...

should be in prison. and the Child service should step in, He! should try to get any official help and the family of Jen too. His parents are Isane.

sorry to say but paren's like that...

should be in prison. and the Child service should step in, He! should try to get any official help and the family of Jen too. His parents are Insane.

I also see in his comment's a suicide tendency begin.

Legailities

RobertaME's picture

Melanie obtained a letter from a psychologist co-worker of hers that proves Josh to be TG. Because of the time and place, 2005 in Ohio, this was required to change gender in school. Now with most places allowing self-identification, it would be even easier for this to happen. In those cases there's no law that can be used to prosecute them. They did nothing illegal... just wrong.

As for Josh being pushed to suicide, it's only been a few weeks. It typically takes years of self-loathing to overcome most people's survival instinct. He's still in the stage of thinking that maybe he can learn to like being made to live as a girl. He can't, but he's only 12 and doesn't know any better.

Hope you're enjoying the story!

Hugs,
Roberta

now he has allies

and a girl who loves him regardless of gender or presentation.

now, if they can only move his parents before they put him on blockers.

DogSig.png

re suicide

he does not want it often told. even if they like "him or her" i am also TG i just don't transaction because of my age.

i had a TG GF who had not so good times with the parents so i know that part firsthand too,
but also i had a friend at school who had to dress like a girl only a day because of an accident, he was bullied so mercy less that he killed himself by that.

Also it was the idear even have to wear one dress. Change the name against will enforce that too.

How would you feel if you come back from vacation and one of your best friends died. Force a boy to be a girl is highly illegal have friends or not sorry. And you seen now a result by only one day.

not meaned to offend anyone just wanted to share the fact.

Allies

RobertaME's picture

Allies are the key. Without them, Josh is subject to the whims of Melanie and Fred and doesn't have the strength to fight their insistence that he's a girl. With allies, he just might have the strength to stand up to them and tell them the truth... that he's a boy and always was.

The question remains... what will Melanie and Fred do when he confronts them with that truth... with allies to back him up?

Stay tuned!

::huggles::
Roberta

Allies

Julia Miller's picture

Well, I guess we will find out soon. Josh's parents just believe what they want to believe, and I doubt they will change their minds no matter what Josh or Jocelyn's parents say to them. I think the only way this can be resolved successfully is for Josh's parents to agree to send him to an independent psychologist who specializes in Gender issues for several sessions to make a proper evaluation, something they should have done in the first place! We will see if that ever happens.

Josh’s parents remind me of my sister……

D. Eden's picture

I have two sisters, both older than me. The oldest has no children - she decided early on that she didn’t want any. Our father was a functional alcoholic, and a very mean drunk. He cheated on my mother repeatedly, and he was the stereotypical ultra-masculine male who thinks he has to show everyone how large and in-charge he was all the time. He would become very physical when he was drinking, and to say my parents had a piss poor marriage would be an understatement. My mother was the typical enabler; she used her children as her excuse to “keep the marriage together” for us.

This impacted the three of us differently. My oldest sister, as I already stated, decided not to have children as she didn’t want to bring them into a world like that. My other sister, the middle child, had one son - who she refused to discipline. She went completely the opposite extreme from my parents. My father’s idea of discipline was a switch, or a belt, or the back of his hand. When I got older, it became a fist - at least until I got big enough to fight back. It stopped when I put him in the emergency room by breaking a pool cue over his head one night. Fucker never touched me again, and I never came home after that.

Because of this, my sister would not discipline her son, which simply turned him into a spoiled brat. In fact, she stopped talking to me for years because I spanked him once. We were playing cards in her dining room when her son decided to slam the door into me, several times - which hurt quite a bit. My sister simply asked him to stop each time he did it, which of course just made him laugh. So I looked him in the eye and told him if he did it again I was going to spank him. He of course laughed and did it again. So I spun him around and smacked him on the ass three times. He ran from the room screaming bloody murder - no surprise as he had never been disciplined before. My sister freaked out and screamed at me to get out of her house. I simply looked at her and said, “I warned him, and if you weren’t going to do it then someone needed to.” Then stood up and left. It was five or six years before she spoke to me again.

Seriously, i didn’t even smack him hard enough to make my hand turn red - but from her reaction you would think I had beaten him bloody.

As for me, I simply pledged to myself that I would use my parents example as what NOT to do, and to be a better parent. I think I did a good job - I hope I did. Based on how my children turned out, I think I did. They all seem to feel that my spouse and I did - although my youngest still has issues with me since I transitioned.

The point of this is that Josh’s parents are not parents - they want to be Jocelyn’s FRIEND.

I distinctly remember telling my sons on numerous occasions, “I know you don’t like it, but I am not your friend - I am your parent.” You can be both - especially when they become adults, but being a parent must come first. You took on that obligation when you decided to have children.

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

Middle Ground

RobertaME's picture

Somewhere between your father and your younger sister is the middle ground where discipline is taught without abuse.

In raising our two boys, we spanked them a few times when they were little... 2-4 or so. Never hard enough to even really hurt, but hard enough to get their attention. After that we hardly ever had to physically discipline them ever again. They knew Mom and Mommy were in charge and whatever we said goes. After that punishments mostly consisted of no electronics, no going out to play, and having to do extra chores... length and amount depending on the severity of the infraction.

We also didn't abuse the position or set unreasonable expectations for them. In school, Cs or better was good enough, unlike my own parents that demanded As. (yes, I was smart enough for As, but I was constantly miserable and didn't care if I flunked or not) Our boys had to try a sport and a musical instrument... but high performance was never demanded, nor was poor performance punished. Not putting in any effort was, though. Lies were punished harshly, while admitting doing something wrong always ended with a much less severe punishment than if they said nothing. (if they broke something and owned up to it, they might get the afternoon being grounded... say nothing and get caught, they get a day or two and a few chores... lie and say they didn't do it when we know they did... grounded for a week of heavy work)

We were not our boys' friends... were were their parents... and since we were ultimately responsible for anything and everything they did... we got all the say in what that they did. Once that was explained to them, they understood the fairness of it. Yes, they weren't allowed to do some things they wanted to do growing up... but they knew that no matter what, they were loved, cared for, and accepted unconditionally. (so much so that now they're grown they don't want to leave us) I also couldn't be more proud of what fine gentlemen they've become. Now they are our friends... and we respect and love one another. I'd kill or die for them and they would do likewise for us.

That's family.

Melanie doesn't even really want a friend, though... she wants a trophy... a status symbol of her progressiveness that she can show off to others to prove how 'enlightened' she is and how 'backward' they are. Since she couldn't have a gay son, she'll take a TG daughter... whether he is one or not. Fred is just a follower, taking Melanie's advice as 'expert' and doing whatever she says is best. He does want a friend in 'Jocelyn'... to prove that he's not one of those fathers and can be the 'cool dad'.

Neither is a good parent. They're gene donors and caregivers... not a family.

Hugs,
Roberta

Parents

Julia Miller's picture

Other than the alcoholic part, my parents were products of the time. My father was domineering and other than disciplining us (well me usually), he never wanted to really do much with us, and spent his leisure time at the golf course or the bowling alley with his pals. My mother was very submissive and though my father at times was verbally abusive to her, he never hit her, though he would use a belt on me many times. I hated my father then, and I still do to this day. We have never had a great relationship, and I could care less about him. Did he love me? I doubt it, he simply tolerated my existence. I loved my mother, but they were typical religious parents when I first told them I was gay and liked men. They sent me to numerous religious conferences with the idea to convert me straight. When I realized I was trans, I never told them until I began transitioning much later in life. There is nothing they can do to me now, and I live thousands of miles away from them, having left home long ago.

Finally an advocate!

There is finally a light of hope. Maybe jen's family will let Josh be josh at their home and he be himself just for a little while sometime when it's the weekend. Otherwise if Josh if forbidden from seeing them, there's a really scary chance of a suicide attempt taking place. Hell, depending on how much he is pressured to tell them, it could be even earlier

Josh Time

RobertaME's picture

Being Josh at the Healy's home would be difficult, if not impossible. They would have to explain to Luke, Jennifer's little brother, why 'Jocelyn' comes over dressed like a girl and then changes into 'Josh' and dresses like a boy... only to change back when it's time for him to go home. For a 9-year-old boy, that idea could be traumatic... worried that his own parents might do that to him as some form of punishment.

Then there's the church on Spring Drive. The Healys go every Sunday and Josh wants to go with them. If the next week 'Jocelyn' were to not return, but suddenly the Healys are bringing Josh... a boy that looks just like her... it wouldn't take long before the cat was out of the bag, so-to-speak... with potentially disastrous results.

Additionally, it would require that the Healys be willing to buy boy clothes for Josh. Given their overall level of generosity, and their desire for Josh to be able to be himself, that wouldn't be much to ask... but Josh isn't the type of person to be the one to ask. The Healys would have to volunteer it... which it might not even occur to them to do.

In short... it's complicated. :^Þ

Not sure what you mean by "depending on how much he is pressured to tell them". If you mean pressured by Vicky and John to tell Melanie and Fred that he's really a boy, they aren't really the type to pressure him any more than just what they already have said. "We'll give you a few weeks, but then we really should talk to them.", which isn't really pressuring him to say anything... just giving him a timeline of their intentions.

Hope you're enjoying the story!

Hugs,
Roberta

What ARE they smoking?

Jamie Lee's picture

Did some aliens capture Fred and Melanie then crop them on their heads at some point? Or have they found some new kind of wacky weed that has fried their brains?

Jenn and Josh can see each other because they don't have a choice? Huh? Why don't they have a choice? Every person has a choice who they see of are with. It'd be interesting to hear where Melanie came up with that absurd idea.

Fred and Melanie don't set rules for Josh, because the rule are Josh's rules and can be changed at any time. Huh? They are absolutely out of their pea brained minds. And it's okay for him to close his bedroom door with Jenn in the room? And Fred will put a lock on the door?

Are these two escapees from the Twilight Zine? Are their underwear too small and cutting off the flow of blood to their brains? What cereal box contained these stupid ideas? Including the one that said a person is a boy or girl depending on what they like or don't like?

Vicki and John should not try to intervene by themselves. They should get the authorities involved, since Josh is being forced to be someone he isn't and doesn't want to be.

Others have feelings too.

They're Smoking Extremism

RobertaME's picture

Seriously though, Melanie and Fred are an odd mix of 'helicopter parents' and 60s 'do what you feel' hippies. They think they know what's best for Josh and tell him he's TG and has to be open about it... and ensure that he has no choice in the matter... then turn around and say he's free to do whatever he likes.

"Jenn and Josh can see each other because they don't have a choice? Huh? Why don't they have a choice? Every person has a choice who they see of are with. It'd be interesting to hear where Melanie came up with that absurd idea."
What Melanie was saying is that they won't say that Josh can't date since he's only 12 because even if they did say he couldn't date that he'd just do it behind his parents' backs anyway... so they might as well just let him date whoever he wants. It's a concept in parenting that says, "You can't control kids, so don't bother to try. They'll just do whatever they want anyway and trying to stop them is a waste of time." It's a very stupid concept... that's been employed by millions of parents since the 60s.

"[I]t's okay for him to close his bedroom door with Jenn in the room? And Fred will put a lock on the door? ... What cereal box contained these stupid ideas?"
This was a popular parenting method employed by 'cool' parents in the 60s onward... where parents were trying to be their child's best friends instead of their parents. They got it in their heads that their own parents were brutal tyrants that never let them do anything when they were teens, so they let their own kids have everything they were denied when they were young... like the ability to have boyfriends/girlfriends in your room with the door closed and locked.

Melanie and Fred want to be the 'cool parents' they never had... the ones that let their kids go anywhere they want, anytime they want, with whoever they want, and do anything they want. It's tragic that the only freedom they won't give Josh is the only one he wants... the freedom to say he's a boy and to be treated like one. But then, they know best... right? Josh is so effeminate that he either has to be gay or TG, and he insisted for 7 years that he wasn't gay, so he must be TG, right?

... right?

Hugs,
Roberta