Chapter 2 - The Dance

Printer-friendly version

Link: Every Day Is Your Last Title Page and Description

--

When Jack used to talk about high school, it was always on the same subject. Girls! Jack would say he took a different girl to every school dance or party, but then Rich would point out that it was because he could never get a girl to say yes twice! Poor Jack! He tried so hard to fit in with the popular kids that Rich hung out with, and Rich would always make sure that Jack was included.

See, pretty soon, the other kids figured out that if you wanted Rich to come to your party, Jack had to be invited, too. Rich would say Jack never held him back though... he still was invited to all the parties and dances and they still hung out with his regular crowd, so you can't say Jack hurt Rich's social life, but Rich's friendship almost certainly helped Jack's, immensely.

I remember this story that Jack used to tell about their Junior Prom. Rich denied parts of it, but I think Jack was telling the truth. I could always tell when Jack was BSing his way through a story. Erica told me a lot of things about that night that tell me it was Jack that was being honest. It started a chain of events that would have life-changing effects, but then Jack would say that was true about everything that happens to a person.

---

Jack tried once more to knot his bow tie. He loved getting dressed up nicely and he wore it well, in the last two-and-a-half years having grown over a foot. Giving up on tying it himself, he headed out of his room.

"Mom! Can you help me please? I can't get this stupid thing to cooperate!"

Mary Dunning walked over to her sixteen-year-old son. "Here, let me get that for you. Put your hands down, dear!" Her old fingers tied the knot easily and quickly, smiling as she did so. "You look so much like your father in this!" she said wistfully. "I remember when he took me to our Senior Prom! It was right before the War. He looked so handsome!" she said, looking off in the distance. Returning from her memory, she looked back at Jack. "And now here you are! You're growing up so fast!"

Jack sighed as he waited for his widowed mother to finish. "Hurry, Mom! I need to get over to Rich's before five! We still need to make it to Anne's to pick up her and Wendy, then to dinner, and then the Prom! We don't wanna be late!"

Mary finished futzing with her son's tie and smoothed his jacket down with a smile. "There! All done! You're such a catch!"

He dismissed his mother's compliment out of hand. "Ah! Wendy's just going with me because Anne is going with Rich, and Anne and Wendy are best friends. It's just a date of convenience. Pity date, really."

"Don't you like her?" she asked concernedly.

"Oh, she's nice and all, but she's just too flighty and fickle for me. All the popular girls are, Mom."

"She might like you, Jack. Girls don't usually go to a dance with a boy just because it's convenient. I noticed her looking at you when I saw her last month at the store. Oh, never mind! You do what you think is best! If you say it's just friends going together, then that's what it is. You have lots of options... maybe more than you think!"

"Mom!" he dragged out the word. "Stop it already! Look, I gotta run! I'll see you tomorrow, OK? Don't wait up!" Jack kissed his mother goodbye and ran out the door yelling, "Love you!" as he left.

Mary stood at the screen door, watching him jog down the street. Finally she went to her chair and sat down. Looking at her black and white wedding photo sitting on the end table next to her, the youth it captured long gone, she sighed. I miss you, Danny. Watch over our boy tonight? I know it's silly, but I worry about him. I love you!

Jack ran part of the way from his house in North Oakland to Richard's house in Squirrel Hill. It was only a few blocks away, but was a much more upscale suburb of Pittsburgh. As he reached the border between the two, he slowed to a walk, noting the almost unmistakable line that separated his own poorer neighborhood from Richard's wealthier one. Finally reaching his best friend's house, he rang the bell and waited, thankful that the afternoon weather was not too warm.

After a moment, the door opened and he saw Erica behind the screen looking up at him with an expression of irritation. Opening the screen, Jack waited for her to move. "Well? Aren't I allowed in, Buttons? I got dressed up nice and everything! Just tell Rich his date is here!"

Erica rolled her eyes and stalked away from the open door.

"Who is it?" Judith called from somewhere down the hallway.

"It's Jack!" Erica yelled back as she dropped onto the couch and crossed her arms.

Frank Hargrave came out into the living room from his den, fiddling with his camera. "Oh, hi Jack!" he said, his teeth clenching his pipe. Removing it, he smiled at the boy. "Big night, eh?"

Nodding, Jack looked at his feet. "I suppose so, Mr. Hargrave. I sure hope Rich is ready soon. Anne and Wendy won't want to be kept waiting!"

His friend's father sat in the big leather recliner and tapped his pipe against a large glass ashtray. "Oh, don't worry about that. They'll leave you two cooling your heels while they finish primping! Got my camera ready! You sure you know how to use a Nikon?"

He nodded and took the offered camera. "Yes, sir! I took Photography last year, remember?"

"That's right!" he mentioned. "You took a lot of the yearbook photos last year, didn't you?"

"Not that many sir, only a few dozen, but they were the best ones!" Jack smirked.

Erica rolled her eyes and huffed. "Excuse me, I think I'm gonna go barf or something!" she groaned as she got up and stormed off to her room.

Watching her leave, Jack finally turned to look at her father. "What's up with her? She's been acting weird lately."

Shrugging his shoulders, Frank re-lit his pipe. "Who knows the mind of a thirteen-year-old girl?" he asked rhetorically.

A moment later, Judith came down the hall, looking back toward Erica's door. Shaking her head, she smiled when she saw Jack. "You look great, Jack! You and Wendy are going to have a lot of fun tonight! Richard will be out in a minute!"

Lifting a foot, Jack shined his shoe on the back of his pant leg. "Thank you, Mrs. Hargrave! I'll try not to disappoint!" He noticed Judith look at Frank sternly, glance at him, then she turned and disappeared into the kitchen.

Frank cleared his throat. "Sit down, Jack. Take a load off." When Jack sat on the arm of the couch, he scowled. "The arm isn't for sitting on, boy!"

"Oh! Sorry, sir!" he apologized as he moved to the couch seat.

Tapping his pipe again, Frank scraped out the ash, looked up at Jack, and sighed. "Look, son. I know your old man passed on quite a few years back, and... well... I guess these last years I've felt like a sort of surrogate father to you." He looked down as he nervously re-stuffed his pipe. "If you have any questions... you know... the things a young man wants to know about that he usually asks his father?" He looked up at Jack with just his eyes, his head still looking down.

Jack almost laughed. "Um... no! It's fine, sir... Mr. Hargrave. I... I'm good!"

The older man leaned forward. "Look here, boy. There are some things you need to know and it's my responsibility to make sure you know them! Do you know what I'm getting at? You treat your date right! No funny business! Even if she says she wants to, it's your responsibility to say no for the both of you! Got it? I don't wanna hear about you causing her any embarrassment! You're a fine boy, so I don't think it'll be a problem, but it needed to be said. Now that I've said my piece, you got any questions?"

"N-no, sir!" Jack stammered. "I'll do just as you say!"

Frank sat back and re-lit his pipe. "Good! Now I want you to have a good time tonight, so I want to give you this." Reaching into his pocket, he pulled out a twenty dollar bill from his wallet and held it out it toward Jack.

Jack looked at the money as though it were some sort of a trick. "No... it's OK, sir. You don't have to..."

"Damn it, boy! I know I don't have to! I want to! Now take it!" Once Jack got up and took the money, Frank sat back and grimaced. Lowering his voice to a conspiratorial tone, he added, "Besides, if I didn't give you that talk and some money, Judy would throttle me!"

Richard came out, dressed in his tuxedo. "Well? How do I look?"

Frank nodded as he puffed his pipe. "Very smart, boy! Looking good! You have the corsages?"

He looked toward the kitchen and then back to his father. "Oh! Mom put 'em in the fridge so they'd keep better!"

Jack smiled. "I'll get 'em, sport! Just leave it ta' ol' Jack!" Heading into the kitchen, he saw Judith doing dishes. "Hi again, Mrs. H! I'm just getting the corsages and we'll..." He saw her shoulders shake and knew something was wrong. "Mrs. Hargrave? You alright?"

Judith shook her head, forcing the guilty tears to stop. "No, I'm fine Jack. It's just..." She paused, thinking what to say. "It's just hard to watch Richard going off to Prom is all. I know next year you two'll be seniors, and then..." Her voice trailed off.

"Oh, it'll be fine, Mrs. H!" Jack tried to comfort her. "That's a whole year away! Lots of time until then!" He opened the fridge and took out the two corsages. "Don't worry! I'll take good care of him for ya' tonight! That boy still needs me, ya' know!"

She laughed and sniffed, wiping away a tear. "Thank you, Jack! Here." She walked over to him, straightened his tie some, and smiled at him. "You're like a brother to Richard. I'm glad he has you around! Wendy's a lucky girl to be getting someone like you, too! You might be just the right sort of young man she needs to... to be happy! I know any girl your age that gets you will be very blessed!" She reached into the pocket of her housedress and pulled out another twenty. "Here. Take this and have fun tonight!"

Jack tried to refuse it. "Oh no, Mrs. H! Mr. Hargrave already..."

She put her finger up. "Shush! I know he did, but he thinks twenty dollars is still a lot of money!" She smiled at him and took a breath. "Now, let's get you two on your way! Tonight's a big night for you... and Richard!"

They headed back out into the living room where Richard was talking with his father. "So anyway, Hank fades back and he's about to pass when... Oh! Hey, Jack! Took you long enough! Get lost somewhere between here and the fridge?"

Jack half-grinned. "Nah! I was just telling your mom all the things I do for you! You know, like remembering your date's name, warning you when you have bad breath, distracting the sales clerk while you lift our dates' corsages... things like that!"

"Jack! That's terrible!" Judith said feigning shock as though she wasn't used to his quirky humor. She looked at her husband. "Frank?"

"What? Oh, yes dear... terrible!" Frank commented absently.

"No dear, your son is about to leave?" she hinted.

"Oh! Yes... um... here, Rich. Your mother and I want you to have a good time so..." He handed Richard forty dollars. "Don't stay out too late!"

Richard took the offered money and smiled at him. "Thanks, Dad! Come on, Jack. The girls might be waiting already! Night, Mom!"

"Now you be careful, dears!" she called after them from the porch as they headed down the short walkway in front of the house. "Watch out for drunk drivers!" Watching the boys get into their family's station wagon, she sighed. Turning back toward the house, she spotted Erica watching from behind the screen door, only to duck away when she saw that her mother had caught her watching them leave.

Sitting in the passenger seat while Richard drove them to Anne's house, Jack looked over at his best friend. "So how much did your mom give you on top of what your dad knows about?"

"Twenty, on top of the fifty that you and I saved from mowing lawns. How about you?"

"The same... plus your old man gave me twenty. That gives us a hundred and fifty bucks! What do you want to do with it?"

"Us! Why should I share? I have eighty-five and you only have sixty-five!"

"Because you're bad with money! That's why. You know I can make it go farther for the four of us than you can make yours go for just you and Anne!"

Richard stopped at a light. "I am not bad with money! You just want your hooks in my eighty bucks!"

"Look, when we were at the movies last month, how much did you spend on snacks? Ten bucks? I spent three fifty at the store and just snuck 'em in! Come on! You know me, Rich!"

Pulling through the intersection, Richard shook his head. "Yeah, I do know you, Jack. I should probably get my head examined for listening to you, but OK. We'll pool our funds and ask the girls what they want to do, then you figure out what we can afford. Alright?"

"Don't worry! I've got it all planned out!" Jack said smugly.

They pulled in front of Anne's house and parked on the curb just after five. Climbing out, Jack grabbed the corsages and tossed one to Richard as they headed up the walkway.

"Not your best throw Jack, but you didn't send it into the bushes."

"So I've never been a football player... or baseball... or basketball... or hockey..."

"...or table tennis!" Richard finished for him as he rang the bell. "Is there anything your good at?"

"I seem to be good at weaseling money out of my friend!" Jack shot back.

The door opened and the two boys were shown in by Anne's mother Lydia. Standing at the foot of the stairs and waiting for their dates to come down, Richard could feel Anne's father John burning a hole in the back of his head with his eyes. Clearing his throat nervously, he adjusted his tie.

Jack could see his friend's nervousness, so he thought he'd help defuse the tension, or at very least take the attention off Richard. He turned and faced the older man who was standing in the hallway behind them. "Hi, sir! I'm Jack, Wendy's date. Your daughter Anne is in good hands tonight, sir! My buddy Rich is the safest driver in Pittsburgh! Modest and upstanding, too! The girls all call him 'Respectful Richard'! You won't hear stories about ol' Rich embarrassing any young ladies or taking any advantages! No, sir!"

Anne's father just stared at Jack unblinking.

Not to be intimidated, Jack flew into his second line of defense. "Oh, you'll also note that I have a camera with me to fully document the evening! So afterwards, you can look at the pictures and see for yourself that Anne had a good time and was always safe, secure, and well taken care of!"

He looked at the man who in turn returned his gaze with cold, dead eyes.

Falling back to his final line of defense, Jack cleared his throat. "We have a hundred fifty dollars that Rich and I saved from work we did over the year! Yes, sir! Rich is a responsible young man! Why, everything I know about being a good responsible citizen is due to his good influence on me! I bet if it weren't for Rich, I'd probably be making bad decisions! Doing the drugs and... um... stuff."

Finally, he saw the man crack a smile. Unfortunately it was more menacing than friendly or jovial before the man turned and walked down the hallway away from the two teens.

Breathing a sigh of relief, Jack turned back around to face the stairs again. "Told you! I got you covered! You need me!"

"My hero!" Richard mumbled sarcastically.

Half a minute later, Anne's father came back into the living room carrying a cleaning kit and a holstered Colt Forty-five. After he sat on the couch, he opened the kit on the coffee table, unholstered and unloaded the weapon, and started cleaning it right there.

Glancing at the man's activities, Jack turned back around, lowering his voice to a whisper. "OK, don't freak out. Her dad has a gun and he's cleaning it right now! So don't freak when you see it, OK? See? You need me!"

After a short wait longer, Anne came down the stairs wearing a white off the shoulder drop-lace gown with an empire waist that hugged her tightly, while the skirt flared to emphasize her nearly perfect figure. Her hair hung down and loose, her natural curl flattened to let it fall just behind her shoulders. It was simple and elegant, and Richard was stunned at how beautifully grown-up she looked.

Wendy followed her down, dressed in a hot pink satin-lame dress with off the shoulder sleeves, a low cut neckline, an even lower back, and a flirty knee-length hemline that dropped to just above her ankles in the back. Her curly strawberry-blonde hair was sprayed up to leave her neck and shoulders bare. She smiled seductively at Jack as she reached the bottom of the stairs, making him unusually speechless for a moment. Just about to recover, they were interrupted.

"Daddy!" Anne yelled. "Put that stupid thing away!"

"What, pumpkin? I'm just cleaning it!" her father said innocently.

"I know what you're doing, Daddy! Now stop it! I'm almost seventeen!"

Just then, Anne's mother came back into the room. "Oh, for heaven's sake, John! Take that out of here this instant!" Turning to Anne, she smiled. "You look beautiful, darling! Here, I want you to take this for tonight!" She turned Anne around and wrapped a beautiful set of pearls around her neck. "There! It's perfect!"

The boys both gave their dates their corsages, Anne having asked for a wrist corsage and Wendy a pin-on type.

"Jack? Would you pin mine on me, please?" Wendy asked boldly.

"Well... uh... maybe Anne's mom should do it. I... I might pin it on wrong or stick you with it! Besides, I have a job to do!" he excused himself, holding up the camera. Her smile dropped as he turned toward Richard.

Clearing his throat, Jack got Richard's attention. "Rich? Why don't you and Anne stand in front of the fireplace and I'll get your picture!" he suggested as Wendy pinned her own corsage in place.

Afterwards, Richard returned the favor and took pictures of Jack and Wendy. While Jack smiled happily, Wendy only smiled vacantly, still upset that Jack hadn't taken the invitation to pin her corsage next to her exposed chest.

When the four finally headed for the car, Wendy's mood seemed to lift as she spoke up. "Anne? Why don't you ride up front with Rich. Jack and I can take the back seat!"

Jack cleared his throat nervously. "Sounds good to me! Oh! Rich and I were wondering what you'd like to do this evening. I mean, before the Prom, of course! Dinner? Movies? You name it!"

Anne looked at Wendy, who only smiled back and shrugged. "Well, dinner sounds nice! Can we go someplace fancy?"

"It just so happens I already made reservations at a very fine establishment!" Jack grinned his usual half-smile. "I think it just might fit the bill!"

Riding in the back to a local upscale restaurant after telling Richard where to go, Jack noticed Wendy's hand move to his knee. Making him nervous, he put his hand on hers, looked over at her, and smiled. When he noticed the mischievous grin on her face, it made him certain that one way or another he was in for a memorable evening.

Judith knocked on Erica's door, opening it slowly into the darkened room. Entering quietly, she could hear her daughter crying on her bed. Closing the door behind her, she silently crossed the room and sat next to her youngest child, rubbing her back until Erica got up and hugged her, still crying.

"Want to talk, dear?" she asked gently, already knowing what was wrong.

"Boys are stupid!" Erica said between sobs.

She laughed lightly. "Sometimes, yes they are! That's why we women have to push them in the right direction most of the time!" Waiting for her to stop crying, Judith held her and rubbed her back like she'd done when Erica was little. It worked, as it wasn't long before Erica was sniffing back tears. "Let me guess. Jack?"

Erica nodded shyly. "I... I wanted to go to the Prom with him, but... I'm just a little girl to him. He doesn't even notice me!"

"Oh! It's alright! You may be a little girl now, but soon you'll be all grown up. I'll bet lots of nice boys will notice you then!"

"But... but what if it's too late?" Erica nearly began to sob again. "What... what if... what if Jack falls in love with some other girl before I can finish growing up?"

"Well dear, you'll just have to trust that it'll work out the way it's supposed to. You'll meet another boy that you'll like even better than Jack!"

Her daughter shook her head slowly and sadly. "I can't imagine liking any boy better than Jack, Mom!" she sighed lovingly as she spoke his name. Suddenly, she got an angry look on her face and her tone turned cold. "And tonight he's taking that floozy Wendy to the Prom!"

"Erica!" Judith chided her. "That's not a very nice thing to say about anyone! She's Jack's date. If they like each other and decide to date, well then that's just that. They're nearly grown adults." Cautiously she asked, "Why did you say that about Wendy, dear?"

"All the girls say so, Mom!" the girl rolled her eyes. "Her younger sister Ruth is in my music class and she told me that Wendy flirts with all the boys all the time... and kisses them and does other things, too! Things I'm too young to talk about."

Judith swallowed hard. "It can't be that bad, dear!"

"She puts out and then she dumps 'em." Erica said sadly. "She broke Jimmy Mason's heart last year! Now she's gonna do the same thing to Jack!"

"Now stop that!" Judith admonished. "It's a sin to circulate rumors like that! Now you forget all about Jack! I know it hurts a little now, but soon this will all be behind you!"

Perturbed, Jack stood by the punch bowl getting his and Wendy's second cup. Richard stood next to him just shaking his head. All around them their class talked, laughed, and danced to 'I've Had the Time of My Life'.

"I don't get it, Jack! Wendy's hot, and for some strange reason known only to her seems to think you're... well... not repulsive. What's the problem?"

"It's too easy, Rich!" Jack griped. "It makes me suspicious, like she's up to something. It's like shooting fish in a barrel! Like fishing with a grenade! Like..."

"I get it!" Richard rolled his eyes. "So... what're you gonna do about it?"

Jack smiled as he picked up the cups. "Go fishing!" he replied. "Hey, just 'cuz it's easy, doesn't make it any less fun! I mean, I know I'm irresistible, but it's just a little... boring! No challenge to it! Plus it makes me wonder what she's really after!"

When they returned to their dates, Jack handed Wendy her punch. She took it and eyed him like a hungry animal, making Jack sweat like he'd just run the half mile. As the song ended and the next one started, Wendy stood and walked over to him, putting down her cup.

"Dance with me?" she said to make him understand it was not a request.

As Madonna's 'Crazy for You' played, they reached the dance floor and he nervously took her into his arms. "Are you having a good time?" he asked looking into her eyes, their height the same with Wendy's three-inch heels.

Slowly swaying to the music, she pressed her curvaceous body against his. "Mmm-hmm!" she replied with a smile. "Jack? Can I ask you something?"

"S-sure! Anything you like!"

"Do I make you nervous?"

"W-who? Me? Don't be silly!" He paused. "Why? Do I seem nervous?"

She laughed and lowered her head against his shoulder, pressing her ample chest against his. "Yes! And I think it's adorable!"

Closing his eyes, Jack tried to steady his breathing. As they danced though, his mind would not let go of the question that he had been dying to know for over a month; ever since Wendy had not so subtly hinted that he should ask her to the Prom. "Can... can I ask you a question?"

"Mmm-hmm!" she replied, breathing on his neck.

Jack breathed heavily for a moment, trying to keep his mind clear. Finally his need to know overpowered his teenage hormones and angst. "Why me? I mean, don't get me wrong, I... I'm grateful! You're easily one of the prettiest girls in school, probably thee prettiest! You must have had a literal ton of guys asking you to go, so... so why did you want me to ask you?"

"Why not you?" she countered.

"Well... OK, can we just be honest for a second?" Jack sighed. "I know the only reason I get to go anywhere near the parties and stuff that you all have is because of Rich. And he's great! He never makes me feel like he's... well... propping me up, but I know he is, and so does everyone else. I have like, no doubt that if I weren't his friend you probably wouldn't even know my name, let alone consider going to the Prom with me. I... I know you know all this, but I think it's important that I say it. I talk big and all, but I think you know I'm just a geek with a really nice popular friend. So, all that said, why me?"

Having raised her head up to really listen as Jack admitted what they both knew to be true, Wendy took a moment before answering. "Well, I... I guess I just wanted to know... I wanted to go out with a guy who was different. I..." She leaned her head against his shoulder again.

"Oh. OK. I just... Well, I was afraid that maybe you only came with me 'cuz you lost a bet or something... or were planning something Carrie-like!"

Wendy laughed. "No, Jack! I didn't lose a bet! In fact, I think I might have won! You make me feel like you respect me! Like... like I'm safe."

Jack felt simultaneously flattered and insulted; flattered that she trusted him to be a gentleman, and insulted for the same reason. A moment later, all he felt was lucky, her hands sliding up his back to hook onto his shoulders as she pressed tightly against him, contentedly humming the tune they danced to. Closing his eyes, he just enjoyed the moment.

Suddenly Jack felt Wendy pull away from him. Just as he opened his eyes, he doubled over as a fist slammed into his belly.

"Stay away from my girl, twerp!" Ox snarled. "Come on, Wendy!" Pulling the shocked girl to the side of the dance floor, he held up his hands. "Look, I know! I blew off asking you 'til the last minute, but come on! I have a big game coming up! You don't have to pity date Rich's 'help the needy' project to show me I messed up! Lets just forget all this and spend the rest of the night making up!" At that he started to reach out for her.

Richard shoved himself between Ox and Wendy. "She's not your date, Ox! Now beat it before I do to you what you just did to my friend!"

"Rich!" Ox scoffed. "Don't be such a goodie-two-shoes, man! Haven't you had enough of playing 'fairy godmother' to the kid from North Oakland? Come on! He doesn't belong! You know it, I know it, everyone knows it!"

Just then, Vice-Principal Ford walked his heavy form up to them. "Alright, Oscar. I saw that. You're done." He waved his chubby hand toward the door and smiled. "You're suspended!"

Grinning, Ox tried to smooth-talk his way out of it. "No, see here's the thing, Mr. F! See, this loser was horn-dogging on my date so..."

At last coming to her senses again, Wendy stormed up to him. "You're not my date, Ox! Nor are you ever going to be again! Don't call me anymore, don't even bother talking to me!"

Holding his hands up again in mock surrender, his voice turned patronizing. "OK! I get it! You're mad! You want me to apologize to the little dork?"

"No, you big oaf!" she yelled. "I want you to drop dead!"

Ox's expression turned sour. "Fine! Who needs an easy lay like you anyway! I'm outta here! Bunch a' wimps!"

While Ox was escorted from the room, Wendy ran to Jack and helped him to their table. "Are you alright, Jack?"

Holding his stomach, he nodded. "I'm fine! Nothing a little internal surgery and new kidneys won't fix! Oh!" He winced as he sat.

"Jack!" Wendy giggled. "You're such a clown!"

He smiled, the pain slowly subsiding. "I'm sorry we're going to miss a few dances tonight, Wendy. I don't think I can do any fast ones! Might sprain my spleen! You can dance with someone else if you want. I don't mind."

Scooting her chair over until it was right up next to Jack's, Wendy shook her head dismissively. "But I don't want to dance with anyone else! So, we'll just dance to the slow songs!" she said seductively.

At once Jack felt very little pain as her hand sensuously caressed his inner thigh. "Uh... Wendy? I... I thought you came with me because I was... um... safe... because I respected you and wouldn't want to... ya' know..."

"True, I know you won't pressure me!" she admitted. Leaning in close to his ear, she whispered, "That doesn't mean that I can't pressure you!"

After the song ended came the crowning of the King and Queen and other events. Later, when they announced the final song of the evening, Wendy looked over at Jack. "Do you feel up to one more?" she asked.

"If you had to pull me around the floor in a wheelchair I'd be ready!" Jack quipped. "Just... Can you give me a hand up?"

While everyone made their way to the floor, 'Take My Breath Away' started playing. Wendy groaned, "Oh no! Not this one!"

Jack looked at her in surprise. "What's wrong?"

Wendy draped her arms over Jack's shoulders. "Like getting a punch in the gut! Take my breath away? Get it?" She smiled a goofy open mouth smile as she pressed her forehead against his.

Laughter wracked Jack's bruised body, causing him to wince. "Ow! Don't make me laugh, Wendy! Ow!"

After the two started dancing to the song, their mood changed dramatically. Swaying slowly and feeling each other, Jack knew that the night would end soon and their time together would come to a close.

"Jack? Can I ask you something?"

"Anything, Wendy." he almost purred.

"After the dance, would you want to... I mean... oh, shoot!" She buried her face in his shoulder.

Jack was confused. "What is it? You can ask me anything you like, Wendy. You don't have to be embarrassed!"

Wendy looked at him. "Well, as you put it, can we just be honest for a sec? I... I originally agreed to go with you because I wanted you to be my first... um... virgin." She was quiet for a moment, but then continued. "I... I've never been a guy's first before... and... um... I wanted... I wanted to know what it was like to be a guy's... God! You must think I'm a slut!"

Stunned, Jack stared off in the distance. She wanted to... Oh, Wow! Pulling himself together, he reached up with a hand and lifted her chin so he could look in her eyes. "I kinda figured it had to be something. I mean, don't get me wrong, I'm flattered that you would want to with me, but... I... uh... wow!" He held her close as he tried to think. "I really want to, more than you know!"

"Wanna bet?" she asked, smiling knowingly.

"Oh!" Jack backed up so his hips weren't pressed into hers anymore. "Sorry!"

Closing the gap, Wendy pressed herself against him, still smiling. "Don't be!"

Jack's head was spinning and he felt like he might faint. Taking a deep breath he let it out slowly. "I... I want to Wendy, a lot! But... I... I want something else more. I... I want... Would you be my girlfriend? I mean, after tonight? You don't have to decide right now. I mean, take your time! But if... if I had the choice of having you tonight, or seeing you tomorrow? I... I'd wait."

The song ending, she looked at him softly. "Who says you can't have both?" She pulled her body tightly against his, pressing her soft lips to his mouth, opening hers as she did, prompting him to do the same. It wasn't anything more than an open mouth kiss, but it was his first and enough to send Jack's head spinning again.

After a moment, their kiss and the song ended and she smiled. "I like you, Jack. You're more than just sweet! You're funny, smart, cute, and I... Yes!"

Shaking his head, he tried to regain his ability to think. "Yes? Yes, what?"

She laughed. "Yes, I'll be your girlfriend!"

Jack's eyes bulged out. "Really? I think I feel like dancing!"

She looked around at the other kids leaving the floor. "But the dance is over!"

Slowly, they started to walk back to their table, hand in hand. Seeing Richard and Anne there gathering their things, Jack half-smiled. "You guys ready?"

Nodding, Richard smirked. "Hey, Jack? Your lipstick's smudged! You might wanna touch up!"

Jack blushed and picked up a napkin, wiping his mouth. "Sorry! Good one though, Rich! You're getting better, but you're still just a straight man! Leave the real comedy to the professionals!" He looked at his watch. "Well, it's only eleven. What would you girls like to do?"

Grinning happily, Anne looked at Wendy. "Beth's parents are throwing an after-party!" Looking at Jack, her grin vanished. "Beth still doesn't like you though, and I think even you would agree she has a good reason not to, so you'd have to bow out gracefully!"

Her friend shrugged. "No, I'd be happy just going someplace like Frick Park. It's a beautiful night for a walk!"

Anne glared at her for not taking the hint. "Wendy! You may be willing to blow off your social obligations, but I'm not! The dance is over, so he's not your date anymore! Maybe you might find a guy to replace Ox at the party!"

Glaring back, Wendy growled. "It's not like that, Anne!" She looked at her date. "Jack and I are dating!"

Her eyes slowly widened. "Like... dating, dating? Like after tonight? Like for all summer?"

Sighing as she turned back to look at Anne, Wendy's arms held Jack tightly. "Maybe longer, if I'm lucky!"

up
100 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Like the story but...

Its funny, some good character building but please stop putting italics into nearly every sentence.

Can't please everybody

RobertaME's picture

It's funny, I recently got a PM where the person writing expressed that they liked the emphasis of the italics, showing where the speaker was emphasizing their words.

The fact is though that this and many of my stories were written, as is, more than 2 years ago. Reformatting them would require going through over a million written words and take weeks of dedicated effort... and the result would be complaints from those that liked the emphasis that it was removed!

::shrug:: Sometimes you just can't win!

As an aside, it's looking like not many people like this story as compared to its source story, Lost Faith... which I find funny considering that, as a writer, I can see that objectively this is the better story. It's better written, has more engaging characters, richer settings, and a more unique 'down to earth' perspective that hasn't been written to death by a thousand other writers... and yet there aren't nearly as many comments on each chapter, even to critique or point out issues. (such as you have, which I do appreciate!)

Thanks for the comment!
Roberta

Well I'm either oblivious or

Well I'm either oblivious or I really liked the story, because I never really registered the italic's til I read the comment.
I'm going with I really liked the story. It was nicely written and Jack is a funny character, including being oblivious to Erica's feelings about him, maybe one day he'll get a clue but probably only if Erica points it out to him.

Erica said it best...

RobertaME's picture

"Boys are stupid!"

Jack is a complex character. There are reasons he is the way he is, including why he's such a clown all the time, which will be revealed in chapters to come.

Thanks for the compliment, just the same!
Roberta

Haven't bothered to know Jack

Jamie Lee's picture

Every school has a Jack, the kid who can't play sports, but is likeable once you get to know him.

And that's the trouble, no one but Rich has taken the time to get to know Jack. They haven't bothered because he isn't one of them. He doesn't live in the upscale part of the city. And his brand of humor isn't well liked.

Wendy had a change of plans for Jack after the Prom. It happened after Jack opened up to her and after she saw the difference between Jack and Ox the moron.

Ox is going to find life difficult with his attitude. He's going to find his attitude unwelcomed, and likely costing him job after job. He's also going to make the mistake of going after someone who isn't afraid of him and ends up getting his butt kicked.

Others have feelings too.