Arctic Fox Book 3: Pursuit of the Dream - Chapter 6

Printer-friendly version
The Arctic Fox 3.jpg

Cover photo by Jonatan Pie. Downloaded from Unsplash

Marcia is seventeen, and along with Darryl, has moved south in Alaska to attend the Anchorage campus of the Alaska State University. She wants to pursue her dream, but will it pursue her instead?

As is always the case, I'd like to thank Malady for his help checking through this story for the many errors I frequently insert, as well as listening to my sometimes completely crazy ideas about the direction of the story and telling me how crazy they are!

Chapter 6

Thursday, May 5th, 2023

6:37 PM

Chet was surprised, but he pointed with his thumb to Bruce’s trailer. “He’s staying in his camper over there.” He wasn’t sure what was going on, but being police, he really didn’t want to question them.

Detective Fraiser nodded, then stepped off the porch and started toward the trailer.

Chet looked at the second man standing on the porch. He looked familiar, but Chet couldn’t place him. He seemed like he wanted to say something to Chet, but before he could, Detective Fraiser called out, “Are you coming, Brad?”

Brad turned and headed off the porch to follow his partner. Brad. What Brad? Chet thought. Oh! That Brad!

Chet watched them go toward the trailer, wondering what was going on, but then he closed the door and walked back to the living room.

Who was that?” Mage asked.

A couple of cops,” Chet said. He thought about it for a moment, then said, “One of them is Brad.”

Brad?” Mage asked. “What Brad?” She stopped and looked surprised. “Brad Jenkins?”

Yeah,” Chet said.

Wasn’t Brad Jenkins your boyfriend before Chet?” Gloria asked Mage.

Yeah, until he came down here to attend the Anchorage Police Academy.”

Darryl took a deep breath, then sighed. “Oh, great,” he said, sounding disgusted. He’d thought Brad’s disappearance was pretty raunchy at first, but then his sister got together with Chet.

Brad avoided the subject of marriage to Mage, but Chet had turned out to be just what his sister wanted in that department. Chet was her first choice, and Darryl suspected that Mage was Chet’s first choice as well, although he hadn’t recognized the fact until she was right in front of him, showing him how she felt.

What did they want?” Mage asked.

They wanted to talk to Bruce.”

Why Bruce?” Marcia asked.

You got me. Maybe he witnessed an accident or something.”

-=#=-

In the trailer, Fraiser looked squarely at his friend of several years. “Bruce, I hate to tell you this, but Lisa…” He took a deep breath, then rushed on. “Her body was found up near Knik Glacier.” He looked for any sign that his friend knew anything about the situation. Bruce had a surprised look on his face, which slowly turned into grief.

How…?” He stumbled to get the word out.

At first, it was thought to be that she fell off a ledge and broke her neck. Until…” He paused, wondering how to go on. “The coroner found a bullet that went through her heart and lodged in her spine.”

A hunting accident?” Bruce asked.

Only if someone was hunting with a 22 long rifle,” Brad informed him.

Bruce drew in a sharp intake of breath. “Murder?” he asked very quietly.

Slowly, Fraiser nodded. Then, very softly, he told Bruce, “I’ve got orders to bring you in.”

Are you telling me I’m under arrest?”

Fraiser looked away for a moment, so Brad explained, “Sir, we’ve got to follow orders, and frankly, considering how Lisa disappeared, you’re a likely suspect.”

A likely suspect, you said, lad.”

Brad sighed. “The likely suspect, Sir.”

Reluctantly, Fraiser took out his cuffs and looked at them. He definitely didn’t want to use them. Bruce, however, turned around and placed his hands behind his back. Over his shoulder, he told Fraiser. “I trust you, my friend. But I’m asking you to do one thing for me.”

What’s that?”

Talk to my friends in the house.” He looked at Brad. “I believe ye know ‘em, lad.”

Brad nodded, then asked, “Why?”

Rather than answer Brad, Bruce turned to Fraiser. “you won’t be permitted to stay on this. You or the chief. You know that. Tell the Chathams what’s happened. They’ll not rest till they get to the bottom of this. They’ve done it before.”

Brad nodded and said, “I know. Dusty told me.”

-=#=-

It wasn’t long before there was a knock at the door once more, and Chet sighed as he went to answer it again. This time, Mage followed. It was Brad. He smiled when he saw his old girlfriend.

Hi, Margot,” he said to her.

Brad,” she said acknowledged.

Brad’s expression shifted slightly at the rather cool greeting. “We’re taking Bruce in for questioning. Just to let you know you’re probably gonna have to take care of your animals yourself tomorrow,” he told them.

Taking him in for questioning?” Mage was surprised at that revelation.

His wife’s body was found by some tourists up near Knik Glacier. Off the beaten path, and she seems to have been dead for quite awhile.” He paused a moment, and then said, “It looks like she was murdered.”

At that moment, Fraiser escorted Bruce by. Bruce was wearing handcuffs, and there were tears running down his cheeks.

Chet and Mage were stunned. “And you think Bruce killed him?” Mage asked. “What are you, stupid?”

Margot,” Brad began.

I go by Mage now,” she said coldly.

Okay. Mage, we’re following protocol.”

Oh. The jilted husband is the first subject? Is that it? Do you have any idea of Bruce’s character?”

Brad sighed. He wasn’t going to get anywhere with Mage, so he said, “I just wanted to let you know he wouldn’t be here for the animals tomorrow. I really didn’t have to do that, but I wanted to extend some courtesy. Sorry for bothering you.”

With that, Brad turned on his heel and followed his partner.

Thanks, Brad!” Chet called sincerely. Then he shut the door and turned to Mage. “Mind explaining that?”

He’s an ass.”

Uh, no. He’s not,” Chet countered, “and you know it.”

How could he think Bruce would kill his wife!?”

Chet eyed her carefully. “Is that all?”

Mage glared. “He left and didn’t even call when he got down to Anchorage.”

I’m hoping that’s not a bad thing,” Chet ventured.

Of course it’s not! You’re who I always wanted!” she exclaimed.

I’m very glad to hear that,” Chet told her. “Did you consider that maybe he knew that and wanted to give you freedom?”

Why would he do that?”

Chet shook his head. “I don’t know?” he said in exasperation. “Maybe I’m just being ridiculous.”

Mage stared for a moment, until Chet turned and strode back to the living room. She followed him, exclaiming, “You come back here, Chet!”

He chose to ignore her, as he really didn’t want to get into an argument while their parents were over. Plus, he was concerned about what Brad had told them. Why would Lisa’s body be found near the glacier? How long had she been dead? Did that mean she hadn’t left Bruce under the circumstances the letter led him to believe?

Was Bruce involved in her death? Did he kill her?

He didn’t even want to entertain the possibility, but he supposed it was possible. However much it didn’t seem like Bruce’s character.

He got into the living room with Mage still calling, “Chet!” The two sets of parents were staring, and Marcia and the small kids were not to be seen.

Chet said nothing as he sat down in the chair he’d vacated a few minutes ago, just as Mage came into the room. She realized that the parents had heard their exchange and decided to say nothing either. She followed Chet’s lead and simply sat down. Mike decided that they would settle things themselves, and just asked, “Why did the police want to see Bruce?”

Unknowing, he’d opened another can of worms, and Mage told him, “Bruce’s wife, Lisa. Her body was found near Knik Glacier.”

What?!” Liz exclaimed. “So why do they want to talk to him?”

I suppose, considering how she left, they think he could be involved.”

Well, that’s crazy,” Liz said, ridiculing the idea just as her daughter had. “Bruce wouldn’t kill his wife. I saw them together when we visited before.”

Yeah, but I would never have thought she’d leave like that either,” Bob put in. “The whole thing has always struck me as too weird.”

There’s that,” Darryl agreed. “I didn’t know them before, but I’ve seen how Bruce talks about her now. He really loved her.”

Is he that good of an actor?” Mike asked.

That’s a real good question,” Marcia said from the bottom of the stairs where she was standing. As she stepped over to sit down beside Darryl, she explained. “The kids are all playing in Allie’s room.”

Chet nodded, then said, “I don’t think he’s that good an actor, but I can understand why they need to check everything out. Even if he’s innocent, they need to establish that.”

Margot started to give him a death glare, then thought better of it. She knew Chet was right, and much as it peeved her, she had to admit that Brad and his partner needed to follow procedure.

Gloria asked, “Has Bruce been arrested?”

Marcia looked strangely at her mom, but Mage confirmed, “Yeah. He has.”

What about bail?” Mike asked. “Who will pay it?”

I would,” Chet said, “But what if he’s guilty?”

He’s not!” Mage said with vehemence.

Do we really know that?” Chet asked. “Really?

I don’t think he’s guilty,” Marcia said. “It doesn’t fit his character.”

What we know of his character,” Darryl said quietly.

Now it was Marcia’s turn to glare at her man. “I think we can tell enough from how we’ve seen him act. Even what we’ve seen in the past few days says he’s very giving. Do you know, I’ve found that he personally paid for several meals for the farmhands? Banquets for them and their families?!” Darryl didn’t say anything, and Marcia knew that she hadn’t convinced him.

She tried to take another tack. “If. If he did it, why didn’t he run? Considering what the note said, nobody would have blamed him.” She knew there was a very logical reason why he might not have run, and her brother pointed it out.

Staying here would make him appear innocent. Even when and if her body was found. In fact, I’ll bet the police consider that. I’ll bet the judge considers that.”

They talked for a bit longer, then Marcia decided to go upstairs. Her eyes were glistening as she left the room.

Gloria started to stand, and Mike held her arm. “She needs to talk, Mike.”

Reluctantly, Mike let go and Gloria ascended the stairs. At Marcia’s door she knocked softly.

Go away!” Marcia yelled.

It’s Mom, Marcia.”

The girl didn’t answer, but Gloria heard footsteps, then the door unlocked.

Gloria entered and saw Marcia sit down heavily on her bed.

Gloria sat down beside her and put an arm around her. “Are you feeling alone, Marsh?”

Marcia nodded. She sniffed, then said, “Everyone thinks he did it.”

Gloria shook her head. “I don’t think anyone thinks that.”

Coulda fooled me,” her daughter said.

Gloria nodded, then said, “You’re soft and sweet, Marshmallow. You always have been.”

Marcia smiled and looked toward her mom. “You say that a lot. Right now, I feel like I’m the only one who’s a marshmallow.”

Naw. You’re not.”

Than why’s everyone coming up with reasons why Bruce killed Lisa?”

They are trying to look at this logically.”

I’m not logical? I’m looking at his character. They’re not.”

Marsh, you’re looking at recent events. You really don’t know Bruce’s character.”

I’ve been checking over the books for three years. I know he’s honest.”

Again, Gloria nodded. “I know he’s honest, and I know he didn’t kill Lisa. Your brother and fiancé know that too. Believe me, I recognized the expression on Chet’s face. He doesn’t believe for a moment that Bruce would do that. But he doesn’t want his wife and sister hurt. Darryl is looking at it the same way. He doesn’t want his fiancé and sister hurt.”

Marcia was silent for a few minutes, thinking about what Gloria said. “I hope you’re right, Mom.”

-=#=-

Chet and Darryl fed the animals the next morning, while the men trickled in for their shifts. They had heard what happened, as Fraiser and Brad had stopped by their homes to ask questions. The police didn’t have time to talk to all of them, and some had appointments during the day, so when Fraiser and Brad showed up to talk to the men, Chet allowed them to use the office in the house.

Friday, May 6th, 2023

1:07 PM

Fraiser and Brad had just sat down to talk to Stephen, Bruce’s right-hand man at the farm, when Fraiser’s phone rang.

Hello,” he said as he answered it.

He listened for a few minutes, then said, “Okay.” He handed the phone to Brad, who listened for a couple of minutes, then said. “We’ll be looking out for them.”

He turned to Fraiser. “Now what?”

I guess we’re done. You can go, Stephen.”

Why?”

Melissa and I are friends with Bruce. The prosecutor thinks this is a conflict of interest, and Judge Daniels agrees with her.”

You’re more than just a friend! So they’re gonna get someone in who doesn’t give a shit about Bruce!” Stephen exclaimed.

Do you think I wouldn’t make sure I could explain every bit of evidence I find in a way that it doesn’t implicate Bruce?”

Would you?” Stephen knew the answer, but he was blinded by his anger. “You went with your mom. Bruce with your dad! How do I know what you’d do?”

That’s not fair!” Brad exclaimed. “You know the detective better than that.”

You’re just brown-nosing, kid!”

Suddenly there was a knock on the door, and two people in suits entered. “Greg French, FBI,” the obvious senior man said, as he held out a badge for all to see. His partner also held out an ID, but she didn’t say anything.

Detective Fraiser?” French said, clarifying who the detective was. “You’re still questioning?”

No, I…” He didn’t finish.

The woman gave a disgusted sneer and said, “Oh, come on! We know your relationship with the suspect. You kept up the investigation while you could!”

We did not!” Brad said, raising his voice.

Shut up if you want to keep your job, kid,” French warned.

The judge told me you might try this. I’ve already relieved your wife of her position, and now I’m relieving you.” He turned to Brad. “You are ordered to go back to Anchorage where you’ll be assigned to another detective.”

This is ridiculous!” Brad said. “That’s not what we were doing!”

One more outburst, Mr. Jenkins, and you’ll be relieved,” said the woman.

Good! I don’t think I want to work with people who can’t think for themselves.” He took out his badge and tossed it to the woman, hoping it would hit her face. She managed to catch it, however. Damn! thought Brad.

Not smart, Jenkins.”

Really? Your partner, whose name I don’t recall getting, called me Mr. Jenkins. Not Officer Jenkins. It seems like you’ve already made up your minds.”

Brandy Coleridge,” the female agent said.

Oh thanks! Nice to know who’s relieving me. Without even being my superior.”

I have the permission of your supervisors,” Coleridge growled.

Uh huh. You know, I’ve never been fired before.”

First time for everything,” French told him.

Especially for something I didn’t do.”

Sure, Kid.”

Brad turned and walked out the door.

We need your gun!” Coleridge said.

My service weapon is in my locker. This is my personal one. It’s a much better gun.”

If that’s your personal weapon, you can pick it up at the Anchorage FBI office.”

Brad stopped and faced the woman. “You’re taking my gun? On what grounds? You don’t like me?”

On the grounds that it’s a service weapon, and you don’t want to give it up.”

French looked uncomfortable. “Brandy, if he’s telling the truth, you’re gonna get us both into trouble.”

He’s not telling the truth,” she replied.

I’m going on record that I disagree with you.”

Fine. You don't deserve your rank anyway.”

Sorry, Jenkins,” French told Brad. “I don’t agree, and I’m backing you up on this.”

Okay, French.” He pulled the gun out of his shoulder holster with two fingers, and removed the bullets. Holding it by the barrel, he handed it to French.

Coleridge glared at him, but said nothing. He had complied.

He started out of the room again, and she hollered, “Bullets!”

He turned back, completely flabbergasted. “Whaddya think I’m gonna do with them? Throw ‘em at ya?”

Knock it off, Coleridge!” French exploded.

She decided to leave well enough alone, and directed her next words to Brad, “Whatever. You can go.”

Fraiser didn’t even ask. “Since I no longer have any authority in this case, I’ll be going too.”

Not so fast, Fraiser.”

You really think I’d kill my sister-in-law?”

It’s possible,” French replied.

Fraiser flopped down in a chair and told them, “Question away.”

You can go, Stephen. We’ll want to talk to you later,” Coleridge said with a smirk on her face.


Please don't forget to leave kudos and/or comments!
--Rosemary

up
94 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Hmmm...

I should probably wait at least until after the next part before trying to form opinions of the FBI pair.

First impressions

Rose's picture

are always good too. It is possible this is a case of "good cop, bad cop".

Signature.png


Hugs!
Rosemary

Well, it looks like

the fit has truly hit the shan.

Yes. I think things are

Rose's picture

Yes. I think things are about to get colorful.

Signature.png


Hugs!
Rosemary

what a mess

I hope they can get things straightened out

DogSig.png

I'm afraid the solution may

Rose's picture

I'm afraid the solution may be less than appreciated in this case.

Signature.png


Hugs!
Rosemary

sounds like she's trying to

sounds like she's trying to take over to make a name for herself

Yes. She certainly has a

Rose's picture

Yes. She certainly has a chip on her shoulder.

Signature.png


Hugs!
Rosemary

Um...why the FBI

Jamie Lee's picture

When did Lisa's death become an FBI matter? Isn't the investigation under the jurisdiction of the local police? It sounds like there's more going on since the FBI are involved.

Others have feelings too.

because of the relationships

Rose's picture

Between the police and the victim, and prime suspect, they felt the need to have things investigated out of house.

Of course, there is something wrong with the person who was able to give Coleridge certain authority.

Signature.png


Hugs!
Rosemary