We Are Made of Stardust Chapter 1

Printer-friendly version

"We are not bound by the Earth. We are all radiant beings made of stardust. Once you know this truth you will be forced to reach for your true potential."
Some drunk fool at a bar.

Zigmund Van Diemen's disappointment from the news stayed in the background because the accompanying joy which also came was front and center. His date for the prom next week and closest friend, Joy Eno, got back with her boyfriend Stephan Spader. Even with the couple
reuniting meaning that Ziggy was not going to the prom with her, how could he not be happy that his friend, Joy, was getting what her heart desired? His best friend's happiness was more important to Ziggy than going to a dance.

Joy and Steff's relationship had been an on-again and off-again one for the last four years. Those two getting back together was as surprising as the girl getting her dream man at the end of a romcom. This fact still did not change Ziggy's disappointment in not having a date for the prom. He was only going to the prom with Joy as friends and that was all he wanted from their friendship. Ziggy made the suggestion he escorted his best friend to the prom when she was crying over not having a date to the prom. With Steff dumping Joy, to go out with Molly
Walsh, Ziggy thought that those two might not get back together before the prom.

The young man who loved to dance and was looking forward to looking debonair in his tux. Plus the prom was named Footloose and it had an ‘80s theme. Ziggy knew and loved all the hits of the ‘80s from his parents playing them when he was growing up, and now, he always has either ‘80s on 8 or New Wave on the XM. Also, it would have been great to
have his best friend to share this teenage rite of passage with. Joy has been Ziggy's closest friend since they met 5 years ago. Their friendship was strong as soon as Ziggy, as part of the welcoming committee, said hi before giving Joy a tour of the school.

Ziggy thought going to the prom with Joy was as great and sweet as strawberry ice cream. He would be able to reminisce with his prom date about that good night for the rest of his life; instead of also wondering whatever happened to the lady he shared that special evening
with. Now he would not even be able to get sentimental about his time at the prom. At least he would be able to hear all about Steff and Joy reconnecting at the prom.

Joy was not prepared for Ziggy's response to her good news. She fully expected that her closest friend would be happy for her; Zigs wanted Joy to get what her heart’s desire. She could not have envisioned that he would back out of taking her to the prom. That was for the night he was there to help mend her broken heart and agreed to take her to the prom, she was insistent that no matter what neither of them would back out. Her Zigs taking her to the prom just felt right. In her eyes, it should be him and no one else. Sharing was what made their friendship so strong, and that night was something special to share. Joy knew that night should be shared by them.

Even with getting back with Steff, Joy was dead set on keeping her word. There was only a week until the prom so it would be as hard as ice cream kept in a deep freezer for Ziggy to find a date. If she knew that Ziggy would try not to keep his word then Joy would have told Steff that they would not be back together until after the prom.

"Zigs, you are still going to be my date to the prom. We agreed to it, so you will not be backing out. I told Steff and he was fine with it."

Steff said yes to what he believed would not come to be only because agreeing with Joy keeping her word made him look like he matured. That now, Joy's boy was putting their relationship ahead of his wants. In fact, the only reason Steff was fine with Joy going with another boy was he knew it would not happen. Steff did not change. The boy who was full of himself knew he would just talk Ziggy into not going. Agreeing also kept those two from having their first fight right after getting back together.

"Joy I only agreed to that for I thought you and Steff would not get back together. It would not be right if you two didn't share your prom night together. A boy should be taking his girl to the prom, not the girl's best friend."

"It also is not right for you not to go to the prom. I want you there to enjoy that night."

Joy wanted Ziggy there also to share that night with her. They have shared so many of the rituals of adolescents together. They had their first taste of alcohol when Ziggy snuck a six-pack out of his house. Ziggy was the first person Joy told about her first kiss and Joy got the honor to be the first to hear about Ziggy's. The first time their heart was broken the other was who was there to help mend it. When they got their driver's license the other was the first person they picked up to go for a joy ride.

Their sharing of monumental life events was going to keep on going after high school. They were going to share moving out of their childhood home together. They both were going away to college at Villanova. Leaving home was a big step into adulthood, but neither of them knew anyone else they would rather share it with. Joy and Ziggy will help each other phase into their new situation and also share all of their new experiences with each other.

"I know Zigs, but the prom will not be the same without you there. It will be fun going to the prom with you. Plus, Steff and I will hang out at the after-prom. I want you there."

"Joy, it is better for you to go with Steff, he is your man. Plus, you know that we will talk all about that prom many times. I love hearing all about the joys in your life. I want what is best for your relationship and our friendship. How can you think I could enjoy the prom if I am keeping you two lovebirds apart? A friend would put their friend's relationship over going to some dance."

"Fine, but I will make this up to you. I owe you big time. I am just saying you better be up early the next day for we are going out for breakfast so I can tell you all about the night. Cause you are still going to the after-prom weekend."

Ziggy was right, those two would end up talking about the prom many times. Just like they talked more about the Winter Formal than Joy did with Steff, and he was her date. Her boyfriend only went to the dance because he was obligated to take his girl. That night meant as much to him as a person's Facebook photo of their supper did to most of the people who viewed it on their page.

***********

Jordan Kerr hated being normal for the sake of normal. He believed that too many people were normal just to fit in with society. He thought that too many people just fit into the boxes society put them in to conform so they did not cause issues. Conforming held everyone back
from their true potential. This was from people wasting too much time and energy on fitting in instead of being the wonderful person they could be. Trying to fit in stopped people from showing kindness more often because it was out of the norm to do so. Jordan knew people were kind by nature and not expressing it hurt them from reaching their true potential.

Jordan loved people and that was why he was so against being normal to fit in. His goal in life was to make sure people found the confidence in who they were to shine like the starmen they were. He knew the world would be so much better if people just reach their true potential and helped others to do so. Jordan believed greatness was in everyone for we were all made of stardust. That people conforming held them back from shining.

Wanting to make the world a better place by bringing out the best in himself and others made Jordan fearless. Jordan's boldness made it so the boy has been wearing what he wanted to school since 6th grade. Sometimes that meant a skirt and blouse with makeup. His choice to express his feminine side when it suited him made some people call him a crossdresser and other people saw him as a transgender girl.

Jordan did not see himself as either because he was just dressing how he wanted to. Jordan also did not waste his time correcting or confirming their opinion on it. He knew some people had to put others in boxes so he let them. The boy who was beyond needing to label others just was himself and hope his brightness helped others to see the truth about him. That he was beyond those labels and boxes they used to sort out people.

Jordan's abandonment of social norms was the catalyst of why him and his boyfriend, Dave Penkula, broke up. Dave wanted Jordan to wear a tux to the prom. Them breaking up led to Jordan not having a prom date. Jordan was saddened not by losing a date, but that his man was not confident enough in himself to be with someone who he cared for. Now they both were going to miss out on a great night with their friends because Dave wanted Jordan to fit in the box others expected him to be in.

Jordan and Ziggy were lab partners in AP Physics. The Monday after they both lost their date to the prom they were talking at the beginning of class. Hearing the selfless act which Ziggy did was the inspiration for a great idea for Jordan, ask Ziggy to the prom. Ziggy doing the right thing made Jordan see that stardust shining from within his lab partner.

Going to the prom with his friend made sense to Jordan. Before Joy got back together with that boy, Steff, his lab partner was going with someone only as friends, so why not Jordan? They got along well and hung out once in a while outside of school. Jordan also knew that Ziggy wanted to go to the prom almost as bad as he did; Ziggy because he loved the music and the style of the ‘80s and Jordan wanted to go for he found the perfect prom dress for the ‘80s theme.

That prom dress was the reason Dave broke up with him. Dave loved Jordan but was not ready to handle his man being in a dress at such a formal event. Dave wanted to dance with his man in a great tux. Also, even though Dave's friends were supportive of him being gay he knew they could not handle being around Jordan when he was in a dress. He did not want to be an outcast from his social group at the biggest social event of his life. Dave just wanted to conform so there would be no issues between him and his friends.

"Hey Ziggy, why not go to the prom with me?"

This question led to a perfect example of how Newton's First Law of Motion could be applied to conversations. The outside force of what others would think made Ziggy unable to give an answer. He wanted to say no, but also did not want to hurt Jordan's feelings.

Jordan knew that Ziggy needed some prodding to get the affirmative answer the optimist expected. The man who was not going to take no for an answer forced the subject by saying, "Come on, it would be a good time. We both don't have a date and we both want to go."

Jordan giving those reasons why Ziggy should agree to go to the prom was a perfect example of how Newton's Second Law of Motion could be applied to conversations. Jordan's reasons forced Ziggy to give an answer. "Jordan, I do not like men like you do. I am flattered by the offer but have to say no."

Ziggy's response led to the perfect example of how Newton's Third Law of Motion could be applied to conversations. Ziggy thinking that Jordan liked him in a romantic way led to an equal and opposite reaction. "Oh Ziggy, it will not be a date. You are a nice good looking man, but I do not like you that way. It will be just like how you were going to take Joy. I have the perfect dress for the occasion and want to wear it. I just know we will have a great time. Come on you know you want to go. I hear you singing all those songs from the ‘80s to yourself when you are working out the equations during lab."

"Yeah, but we are both men."

"Who cares what others would think? We are out of here in a month. All it will be is two friends hanging out with couples. Plus, it was no big deal what others thought when it was Joy."

"I don't care what others think. It is just I never thought about taking a guy to the prom. With Joy, it was just taking a friend."

"It will still be just taking a friend to the prom if we; and others were talking about how you two were finally getting together."

"No they weren't. Were they?"

Ziggy did not pay attention to what others said. Most of his classmates knew any bit of gossip which went around the school. He swore that his high school would be full of Rhodes Scholars if they paid attention to the information taught in class like they did with rumors. He knew the world would be a better place if people did not pay so much attention to the innuendos which came from hearsay.

Ziggy did not like the idea that people thought that he was only friends with Joy because he wanted to get with her. He felt that it sullied their friendship. Ziggy was hurt by people thinking he had a hidden agenda when he was just himself around his best friend. Ziggy wanted people to see the truth in their friendship. It would show people the connection they had was special and more people should strive for that kind of friendship. One where the gender of the people did not matter.

"They were. Come on, would I lie to you?

“Anyways, it does not matter what they were saying. It did not change who you are or your friendship with Joy. Just like you taking me to the prom will not change who you are or our friendship. I just think we will have a good time and you get along with all my friends and I do with yours. I just think you, no both of us, deserve going to the prom. Are you going to miss out on a great night just because of people talking about things they do not know?"

"It will be great to escort you to the prom and hang out with our friends."

"The night will also be great because we will all shine like the stardust we are made of."

*********

It did not take long for the students of Mount Lebanon High School to know who was Jordan's new date for the prom. This was for the speed of a rumor spreading could be written as the scientific equation of S=J*P2, where J was the Juiciness of the information and P2 was the popularity of the people involved squared. In this case, popularity dealt with how well known the people were. Everyone knew Jordan for he was the boy who wore high heels.

How juicy Ziggy taking Jordan to the prom was, made the rumor move so fast it had a sonic boom. The news exploded on social media and was actually approaching the speed of light. If it made it across that threshold, social physicists speculated that the rumor would actually travel back in time and start spreading before Jordan and Ziggy made the date for the prom.

Joy was happy that Ziggy was taking Jordan to the prom. It made her feel less guilty about her best friend not being her date. Also, now he would be there to share that special night with her. Hearing who Ziggy's date was no big deal and she paid no attention to that fact. It would not matter if her best friend was gay or not. Also, Joy knew her friend was straight; she saw how her Zigs looked at girls, that man loved the fairer sex.

Joy knowing her Zigs so well was why she got mad at Beth Breznak for saying something which was not true. Beth was just joking around about how Ziggy had finally gave in to that he could not get a good woman, so he got the best imitation of one he could find.

The lady made that joke to get a laugh, but also to build up her ego. Beth's self-image took a major blow when Ziggy did not pay notice to her flirting with him. She was opening herself up to being in a relationship with him and it hurt she did not get the desired results. Beth actually did not like Ziggy, she liked how a boy wanting her temporarily made her feel good about herself.

Even with being the most beautiful girl in her class, Beth suffered from low self-esteem. The low self-esteem came from guys only being interested in her looks and, how Jordan would say, not the stardust inside the lady. It made her feel less of a person when none of the
boys ever gave her a compliment on her intellect or personality. The quick fix to feel better by having some guy chase her because of her looks only added to the long-term issue of being seen only by her cover. It reinforced that men only saw her as a piece of eye candy.

Beth was so much more than physical beauty. Like everyone, she was made of stardust. Beth really shined when she was behind the camera. That girl wanted to be a photographer, even if it meant just owning her own portrait studio. The lip service compliments Beth's suitors gave on her photography reinforced to her that people thought only her looks mattered. The girl had the ability to go beyond the superficial exterior of a moment and capture its true essence. That was where the real beauty of life resided. Her skills were evident in the pictures she took for the school paper and the everyday moments used in the yearbook.

Joy was not having someone joke about her Zigs behind his back without them getting retribution. Plus she wanted to make sure her friend knew that joke was out of bounds. The lady who was defending her friend’s honor said, "You know that if Ziggy asked you out, you would say yes quicker than your panties drop when a boy gets you in the bedroom."

"Oh fuck you!"

"Calm down, it was just a joke."

"There is nothing funny about a girl enjoying sex, you alluded that I was a slut as joke."

"There is nothing funny if Ziggy likes men. You alluded he was gay as a joke. They both didn't have dates and wanted to hang out with their classmates."

Beth quickly dropped the subject because she knew that Joy would not understand the difference between the jokes. Beth was wrong, Joy totally understood the difference. Beth's joke was at the expense of someone other than herself while Joy's was at Beth's expense. Making jokes at other people's expense was easy for people as they were not spending their social capital to get a laugh. Yet these same people never wanted others to make jokes about them.

************

Ziggy met up with Joy to have lunch and was so happy to tell her the news about having a date for the prom. He knew that him now going to the prom again, would make his bestie feel better about Steff being her date instead of himself. Plus that man with a huge sentimental heart would now be able to reminisce about that night with Joy.

"Hey Joy, we will be able to hang out at the prom after all!"

"I know! You are taking Jordan."

Joy did not ask her friend why he did not tell her earlier for this was his first chance. Ziggy was not the type of person who liked to share important things with others via social media. To him, telling people good news was so much better in person than via text or on the phone. Being face to face was more personal, plus he got to share in their happiness which came with the news.

Up until now, Ziggy was all calm when someone asked him who was he taking to the prom. Jordan's words of wisdom about them going to the prom together changed nothing about it, either of them rang true. Remembering that he was the same person made it easy for Ziggy to just laugh at someone if they said something smart about it.

This time was different, hearing Joy say she knew made him panic. Even with not ever seeing Joy in any other light than a dear friend, he did not want her to think anything was happening between him and Jordan. He knew the panic setting in was not because he thought being gay was wrong. He felt it would be wrong for Joy not to know the truth about him. Their friendship was too important to Ziggy to have anything not out in the open. "It is just two friends going to the prom, like me and you."

"I know Ziggy."

Joy and Ziggy were both happy when Vince and Jon came to the table. This conversation was starting to get a little awkward for both of them. The two friends who shared everything were not used to feeling a little uncomfortable around each other. Ziggy did not like how he was worried about what Joy thought. The best thing about being friends with Joy was Ziggy always felt free of judgment. Joy did not like that she was happy it was not a girl that Ziggy was taking. She took it as her thinking that none of the ladies which were available to be Ziggy's date were good enough for her friend.

As the two latecomers to lunch joined Joy and Ziggy, Vince opened his mouth and said, "Hey there Ziggy, heard about your hot date for the prom."

Jon joked right back at Vince. "You are just jealous that Ziggy's date is going to look better than yours."

Laughing Vince said, "True, but with a face like mine, I am lucky to get anyone to be seen in public with me.

"Seriously Ziggy, it is so cool that you will be at the prom. We are going to have a great time. Plus, the night is going to be livelier with Jordan and his crew around. They're legends."

Vince was right, Jordan and his friends were legends. People who accepted those people as just being who they were, always had a good time when they were around. This was because Jordan's circle of friends were positive people who provided encouragement for others to be their best. They never forced anything on anyone. The naysayers would say they laughed too loud, were freaks and geeks, and not in the cool crowd. Most of those naysayers were just jealous that that group was being who they were, instead of trying to fit in like the naysayers.

*************

Steff was driving his girl home along with Alan and Ian. He loved the news about Ziggy for it gave him more ammo to joke around about him. "Joy, babe, aren't you happy that Ziggy finally is comfortable being who he is? Now, you two can talk about men more. Maybe after the prom we can double date with that fabulous couple."

The backseat peanut gallery erupted in laughter. Joy did not like that Steff was acting like the old Steff. To her, it seemed like her boyfriend changed as much as the world did on New Year's Day. "Steff! Quit it."

Steff did not take Joy as being serious about quitting joking around about Ziggy. How could she want him to? This was too good not to get laughs about. Plus, girls like the bad boys and the next time Joy said quit it she will add in you are so bad.

"Sorry babe, I forgot how sensitive Ziggy is. I promise I will only compliment him in his taste of men."

"I told you to quit it. This is not funny at all. Instead of mocking Ziggy, you should be grateful that he backed out of taking me to the prom. He did that for us and this is how you are repaying him.

"Ziggy is also the reason we are back together. He always told me to go after my heart's desire and it desires you. Right now I am questioning why it does."

Steff did quit right then. The boy who got his girl back did not like that she brought up them breaking up. He had a chance to upgrade and it did not work out. What boy would not have done the same as him? There was no way Steff was going to let Joy dwell on them starting over once again. The last thing Steff wanted was to have Joy dwell on the negative aspects of their relationship.

The lady in the passenger seat was Steff's safety girl, the one he settled for when he did not get the girl of his choice. The man who thought he could do better knew as soon as she went to Villanova and he was at Pitt that he would break up with her. Steff already had it planned so they could hook up on school breaks. He would tell her they both needed to put their time and effort in school and the long-distance relationship was hurting her chance for success later in life. That he will always be there for her as friends and giving up what he wanted, being with her, was him putting her above himself.

*************

Ziggy had a huge disagreement with Mark Twain, Ziggy believed that golf enhanced a walk. According to Ziggy, one of the best things in life was being out on a sunny spring afternoon on a lush green fairway with the trees, and lakes. The scenery being as beautiful as an Ansel Adams picture and the simple object of hitting the ball with a club gave Ziggy peace. That was the main reason he was on the golf team, to enjoy a nice walk.

The inner balance which came from him being at practice got a disturbance from his teammate, Dave Penkula. Everyone felt a little on edge around him. Dave was devastated that he and Jordan broke up. He felt that Jordan chose a gown over their relationship. It was beyond Dave's comprehension how some fabric stitched together could be more important than the great relationship he had with his man.

The man, who was feeling like a writer without a pencil, felt an even greater devastation when he found out that one of his golfing buddies was taking Jordan to the prom. He had to spend time with the man who was helping Jordan live out one of his dreams. Dave should have been the one helping Jordan to make his dreams come true.

What made it worse was Ziggy was not interested in being with Jordan, yet was going to Prom with him. That his golf buddy did not care about being seen in public with a man in a gown, yet he who loved Jordan who like to wear a dress did. Ziggy being able to do what he could not, made Dave feel like maybe that fabric stitched together should be more important than him.

The least Dave could do for his ex was make sure that Ziggy treated him well. "Zigs, make sure that Jordan has a great time at the prom."

Ziggy said, "Dave, I will. You know that you can still take him. You should be the one making sure Jordan has a great time there.”

"I would but I want my man to be in a tux when we are at the prom."

"What is more important, the clothes or the person in them?"

"I could ask the same thing to my sweetie. I mean Jordan. He picked that gown over me."

"Yes, but it is what he wants to wear. He picks what he wears and you pick what you wear."

Ziggy pointing out that Jordan should be able to wear what he wants made Dave feel bad about how they broke up. Dave knew that Jordan should be able to wear what he wants and wished he could ignore it. The heartbroken boy knew that he was not letting the stardust inside of himself and Jordan shine. With knowing the right thing to do and not being able to do it, Dave quickly changed the subject to the next match. There was no way Dave wanted to keep on talking about the double bogey he committed in his personal life.

up
10 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos