TITANIC - Chapter 6

Printer-friendly version
Chapter 6
Color me a picture

Date: Saturday, The Thirteenth day of April 1912
Place: Titanic – Second Class Deck
Time: 11:45

Today’s breakfast was good. It wasn’t as fun as yesterday's Supper with the First Class and the Captain. We were allowed to keep the pretty dresses that the captain gave us. It was a gift for us, so the captain refused to take it back. This made me and Anneliese very happy.

 Momma and Papa still won't let me leave on my own, and I had to promise I wouldn’t leave Anneliese’s side.

My sister and I walked around the deck. There wasn’t much we could do.

We overheard a woman talking about all the toys the barbershop sold. She thought it was a cute idea. This made me and Anneliese excited. We could buy new toys to play with, instead of playing with the jacks all the time.

We head to the barbershop to check them out. 

“Hey girls,” A Man said. “I’m Arthur White. You here for a haircut?” He had his scissors out. “Snip, Snip,” he said with the scissors copying what he said.

“Uh,” I looked at the scissors.”

“No,” Anneliese laughed. “We heard you have toys.”

Arthur looked over at me, hiding behind Anneliese. “I was just joking, I wouldn’t cut such beautiful hair off of two beautiful girls like you.

I stopped being tense.

“What do you have for toys?” Anneliese asked.

“Just look around,” Arthur laughed. “There are toys everywhere.”

We both look around and see toys on the walls and floating above us on strings. Why didn’t we see this when we came in. There were dolls, a few yo-yos, and cup-and-ball toys. On the shelf, there were games. Chess, checkers, dominos, decks of cards, and also some crayons. They even had Jacks, which made me giggle.

There were so many other kinds of toys. I wish we could buy them all. 

“How much for the crayons?” I asked. 

“For you,” Arthur smiled, “I’ll sell it for one penny.”

“Penny?” I looked confused.
 
 Both Anneliese and I talked to each other. “What’s a penny?” Anneliese whispered. 

“I don’t know,” I said. I looked up at Arthur. “Can we ask our Papa?”

“Of course,” Arthur chuckled. 

We left the barbershop and headed right to our cabin. But when we got there, Papa was asleep. This disappointed not only me but Anneliese too. Mama was sitting in the room on the davenport knitting. I wonder why she never goes out and enjoys the Titanic herself as well.

“Momma, what’s a penny?” I ask.

“A penny is a coin, which is similar to the pfennig back home,” Momma explained. 

“Back home?” I questioned. “You mean where we use to live.”

“It doesn’t matter if we don’t live there now,” Momma told me, “It still is our home, even if we moved away.”

“Can we have a penny?” Anneliese asked.

I can tell mom was confused. “Why do you want a penny?”

“To buy some crayons at the barbershop,” Anneliese told her.

“The barbershop?” Momma laughed.

“They’re selling toys there,” I explained.

Momma put down her knitting and got up off the davenport. “Why not we all go over there and I’ll see what you mean.”

Both Anneliese and I jump for joy with excitement.

Momma left a note for Papa, just in case he wakes up and we walk to the barbershop. Well, Anneliese and Momma walked, I skipped. With the barbershop being on level B, we ended up walking up a few stairways. We wouldn’t use the lift, Momma had a bad feeling about new technology like a lift or even a moving stairway known as an escalator.

I am fascinated by the escalator. How do those wooden steps go all the way up to the next floor and, where do they go afterwards? I do like the sound it makes. ‘Clickity Clackity’

As we make it into the shop, Arthur was working on some man. We didn’t want to bother him so we waited. Kind of. I was impatient and wanted to buy a toy. I was wiggling in my seat. It didn’t take long for Arthur to finish the man, and when he did, he came over to us.

“Well if it isn’t the two twin girls from earlier,” he said. “And who would this be? You’re older sister?”

“Hey!” Anneliese barked. “I’m the older sister!”

Momma laughed. “I’m their mother.”

“I figured that,” Arthur chuckled and looked over at me. I noticed him looking and ran over to Momma.

“So,” Momma began. “I hear my girls are wanting to buy some crayons.”

Arthur walked over to the shelf and grabbed a box of eight crayons. “Here they are,” he smiled.

I looked at them in amazement. “We’ve never had crayons before,” I told him.

1912 Crayons.png

“Is that so?” he chuckled. “Well, in this box, there are all the colors of the rainbow. And for only one penny, they will be yours.”

“That’s an awfully steep price,” Momma said. “But what will they color on?” 
 
 “For these sweet little girls, I’ll throw in a pad of twenty-five sheets of paper for only four cents.”

Momma handed him five pfennigs. He looked at it in surprise. 

“German pfennigs?” He questioned. “I’m not sure if we take these.” He looked in a book that he had in the room. He was flipping through page after page. 

I looked at Anneliese and she looked at me. I bet she was thinking the same thing as me. ‘When are we going to get our color crayons?’

Arthur came back to us. “It seems like we don’t take German pfennigs.” He told us. It’s not in our approved currencies. Do you have any other coins?” 

Momma dug into her coin purse. “All I have that’s not German money is the change from France.”

“Oh, we definitely take Francs,” Arthur approved. 

Momma gave him some change she had. Arthur gave change back.

“Is this American money?” Momma asked, looking at the change.

“It sure is,” Arthur said. Just look at this penny.”

1909 wheat penny.png

We all looked at the coin he was showing us.

“This Penny has on the front of it a picture of Abraham Lincoln,” he began. “Abraham Lincoln was the sixteenth President of The United States of America. You see this 1909 penny is one of the first pennies Abraham Lincoln was ever on. Before then you would only see him on the fifty-cent paper bill and the one-hundred-dollar paper bill. The truth is before he was even on the penny, they were known as Indian head pennies.”

“Indian head?” I said. “Do you mean people from India were on the America penny?”
 
 “No,” Arthur laughed, “Amerindians.”

“Amerindians?” he kept confusing me.

“Never-mind,” he chuckled. “You’ll learn about them sooner or later.”

“Are you from America?” Anneliese asked.

“No,” he answered. “I’m from England. But I know all about the history of America from History books.” A man walked into the room. “Oh, I’m sorry girls… and Madam he looked up at Momma. Duty calls. I hope you enjoy your new crayons. Come on in if you want anything else.” Arthur walked up to the man that was now sitting down in a chair.

We walk out of the barbershop. I was looking at the crayons and paper. I really couldn't wait to color.


Date: Saturday, The Thirteenth day of April 1912
Place: Titanic – Library
Time: 12:38

We didn’t want to disturb Papa when he slept, so we headed to the library.

Anneliese and I sat down at a table and started coloring a picture. Because of how much it costs, we didn’t want to waste one sheet of paper. So if we made a mistake, we made it look like it was part of the picture.

On my paper, I drew a dolphin jumping out of the water. I wasn’t really good at coloring, but I tried. Anneliese colored a house with flowers. A girl was standing next to the house. 

Momma was sitting in the room down by the door talking to a man and a woman. We continued to color while she talked. I saw Anneliese color a sun, which made me feel like I was copying her because I was coloring a sun at the same time. 

After looking at the picture, I noticed it was missing something. I kept thinking of the dolphins I saw a couple of days ago swimming. I decided to draw the Titanic in my picture as well. I made it very long and added three smokestacks coming out of it. I was so proud of it, I showed it to Anneliese.

“Nice ship,” she said. 

“It’s the Titanic,” I told her.

“That’s not the Titanic,” she giggled. “You’re missing one smokestack.”

“Wait,” I looked at my picture. “There’s four? I thought there was three.”

“Come on, I’ll show you,” Anneliese pulled me out of my chair. 

“Hold on,” I said, taking our pictures to Momma. “Can you watch these?”

“Sure,” Momma said. “Where are you going?”

“Anneliese is going to show me something quickly.”

“Okay,” Momma smiled. “Oh before you go, I’d like to introduce you to someone. Josephine, Anneliese, this is Thomas and Patricia Otto. They’re on this ship as Newlyweds.”

“Hello,” we both said at the same time. 
 
 I looked at Momma. “Newly what?”

“Newlyweds,” mom repeated herself. “They’re on their honeymoon. Isn’t that romantic?”

“Um, Yes,” I told her a bit confused. I did not want to ask her what a honeymoon was. “Can I go?”

“Sure, but come right back when you are done,” she told us. “And don’t go too far.”

Anneliese pulled me all the way out to the deck. “Jeez Anneliese, pull my arm off will you?”

“See,” she said pointing to the smokestacks.

“Why are there only three of them going?” I asked looking at the fourth with no smoke coming out of it.

“I’m not sure,” Anneliese scratched her head. “Maybe it’s plugged up.”

We walk back into the library. Momma was still talking to the Otto's. I saw Tom look up at me and smile as I grabbed the papers and crayons.

“I really liked the Titanic you colored,” he told me. 

“Thanks,” I said softly.

“You do know that there are four smokestacks, don’t you.”

“I do now,” I whined.

I walked back over to the table. Embarrassed that I made a mistake, I added the fourth one on the picture but did not add smoke coming out of it. I added waves around the ship to hide some of the mistake I made. 


Date: Saturday, The Thirteenth day of April 1912
Place: Titanic –The Second Class Promenade 
Time: 14:18

We didn’t go back to our cabin after dinner except to drop off our pictures. Papa was still sleeping, so Momma Anneliese and I headed out to the deck. Me and Anneliese played a game of shuffleboard, while Momma sat on a bench knitting and watching us play. I convinced Anneliese to play Shuffleboard, even though she didn’t want to play yesterday.

I played better than I did the first time when I played with Peter. At least this time I made it to the other end. I still wasn’t that good, but that didn’t matter, neither was Anneliese. While I played, I thought about what happened to him. Where was he? Where did they take him?

Eventually, I stopped playing the game. I lost. Anneliese was gloating that she did better than me. 
I liked playing the game, but it hurt to not win. I sat on the bench while Momma played with Anneliese. 

Sighing, I look over at a couple of kids playing nearby. They were not the same kids as before. They were both girls. One was taller than the other. Most likely they were sisters.

“Momma, can I go over to those two girls?” I ask.

“Stay where I can see you,” Momma told me. 

I walk over to the two girls. “Hi,” I greet them.

“Hello,” the older girl said. She looked to be about my age. Her sister looked to be about two or three. 

“What’s your name?” I ask.

She looks over to her mother behind her and back at me. “Winnifred.”
 
 “Hi Winnifred, My name is Josephine.” I look down at the little girl. “Is this your sister?”

“Yes,” Winnifred said, smiling at her very shy sister. “Her name is Phyllis.”
 
 “Hi Phyllis,” I cooed looking down at her. 

Their mother walked over to us. I jump up and stare at her. “Hi!” I said startled.
 
 “Hello,” she said. “I was just checking up on my children.”
 
 “I’m sorry,” I wept. “My Momma was…”

“There’s nothing to be sorry about,” she laughed. 

Mother walked up with Anneliese right behind her. “Hello,” Momma introduced herself to the girls’ mother. 

“Hello,” she said. “I’m Jane Quick.”

They started talking. Me and Anneliese started playing with Winnifred and Phyllis. We were running around the deck. 

“Let’s play Hide and Seek!” Winnifred said. “I’ll be it.” 

“Okay,” both Anneliese and I said at once.

We sent Phyllis back to her mother. She was too young to play. We could lose her. Winnifred started counting to twenty and I went to find a place to hide. I didn’t know where Anneliese hid. 

I found a place just in time when Winnifred said twenty. I hid inside a lifeboat. 

It took a while for Winnifred to find me. She found Anneliese hiding behind some barrels.
 
 When they found me, a crew member saw us and walked over. “Hey girls, you can’t be playing in the lifeboats.” He told us. 

“They’re not hurting anything,” another crew member said “Besides, when would we ever need to use these?”

“You got a point there,” the first crew member laughed. “You three be safe.” They both walked away. 

“I thought we were in trouble there,” Anneliese shivered.

We were going to continue playing Hide and Seek, but many people were walking around the deck now, and it was getting crowded. 

“Come on,” Winnifred squeaked. “Let’s get back to our parents.”
 
 Momma and Jane must not have noticed what happened with us, the crew men and, the lifeboat. They were still talking. Phyllis was napping next to them on the bench. 

“Momma,” I whined. “It’s getting crowded out here.” 
 
 She looked around, and nodded her head. “Let’s get back to our cabin,” Momma said. It’s nice to meet you, Jane. I hope you three enjoy the rest of the time on Titanic and a safe trip back to Detroit.”

“You too,” Jane said. “Hope you, your husband, and your girls find a nice home when we get to America.”

We all walked back to the cabin. Papa was just getting up when we walked in. 

“What have you three been up to?” He asked.

“Nothing much, just playing on the deck,” Momma told him.

“And I won every game,” Anneliese smiled.

“Not every game,” I protested. I did win Hide and Seek.

We both laughed.

up
59 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Nice work.

Nice work.
Prices in 1912. Wages in England would be 2 shillings day or 24 pence a day.
Based on the picture below the price below the American price would be about 47 US cents.
1
Titanic had 4 smokestacks, but the last one was cosmetic only.
Boys wearing dresses was not uncommon before 1912
FDR aged 2 in a dress.
fdr

Thanks

It's nice of you to give me information on Titanic and all the history of 1912. When I write them, I do all my research. That's why it takes long time to put out. I knew that boys wore dresses in those days. Also I was follow a website that tells me information on prices in 1912.

name.png

Yo-Yos

joannebarbarella's picture

I know there was a kind of primitive yo-yo waaay-back, but I didn't think the yo-yo as we know it was "invented" until the 1930s. I could be wrong and I stand to be corrected.

I do know it was the toy-du-jour (fad) in the 1940s and 50s.