TITANIC - Chapter 4

Printer-friendly version
Chapter 4
Keeping Together

When we got back to our cabin, Momma looked over me, making sure I didn’t have any bruises. I didn’t, but I sure was scared. I thought Peter was a nice guy, but because he yelled at me, pushed me on the bed, and hurt my feelings, I just don’t know.

I just have a lot of questions, that I don’t think I will ever get answers to. One of them is, why was he in that ladies' room? 

The evening was not eventful. The sun was still out and I wanted to go out to play. Papa told me I couldn’t go on my own at the deck anymore, Anneliese had to be with me at all times. 

“Just because I am the youngest, doesn’t mean they have to treat me like a baby,” I cried, sitting on my bed and pouting.

“You’re acting like a baby,” Anneliese giggled. I stuck my tongue out at her.

“You two stop fighting,” Papa scolded us. 

“I’m bored,” I whine. “Can’t I at least go to the library and grab the book I was reading earlier?”

“I really don’t want you out there at this moment,” Papa told me. Not with that man still on the loose.”

“Okay,” I growled. 

Like always, Anneliese was playing jacks. I sat on the floor next to her and played, but ended up falling asleep in the middle of playing. Anneliese was helping Momma out with something when I woke up. I felt sad that I wasn’t apart of it.

When Supper came along, we all headed out together. I felt like I was grounded and couldn’t go anywhere. I walked slowly with the rest. I looked at the floor the whole way to the dining room. 

While I walked, I kept hearing unusual sounds around me, but I shrugged it off. It more likely was other passengers leaving their rooms. 

As we entered the dining room, an officer was watching men entering the room. I figured they were doing this because eventually, Peter would have to come in. He has to eat sometime.

~o~O~o~ 

I still felt sad for losing a friend. He was almost like a grand papa to me. Yes, he may have been around the age of either the forties or fifties, but he was a nice guy… Was. I kind of wished he wasn’t a bad guy. I had fun playing shuffleboard with him, even if I lost every time.

Yes, he was a bit weird, when it came to putting his hand over my shoulder, but it didn’t hurt me.

I lie down on my bed and sigh. Momma must have heard me because the next thing was she came over to see what was wrong.

“Nothing,” I sigh again.

“I know something is wrong,” she sat down next to me. “Because every time you sigh, it usually means your hurting inside.”

I sit up and lie my head on Momma. “It’s Peter,” I explain.

“Who's Peter?” Momma asked,

“Peter is the guy that I saw earlier,” I sigh some more.

“Josephine, he’s a bad guy,” Momma snapped. “He almost hurt you, and also got you in trouble. You shouldn’t have been in that room with him. He could have done something worse to you.”

I started crying.

“Oh baby,” Momma gave me a hug. “Why don’t you go to sleep. Things will get better in the morning.”

“I hope,” I yawn. I lie down in my bed. Momma tucks me in and checks on Anneliese on the top bunk. She was already asleep. “Momma?”

“Yes, dear?” Mom looks down at me.

“I’m sorry,” I yawn once more and instantly fall asleep.

Date: Friday, The Twelfth day of April 1912
Place: Titanic – Family Cabin
Time: 10:14

The next morning, when we got back from breakfast, we got a knock on our door. It was Officer Murdock. They had captured Peter. He was cabin hoping a few cabins in third class. He was caught, when he was spotted by a night watchman trying to break into the kitchen to steal food. 

Turns out his name is not Peter Goodmann, but Francis Hermann, a former Reverend of a church in Salt Lake City, Utah. He is connected to the murder of two females that went to his church. He is also suspected of murdering his ex-wives and two of his children. He is right now locked up in an unknown room on the Titanic until we arrive in America. 

Francis Herman.png

Even with Francis in custody, I still wasn’t allowed out of the cabin alone. Anneliese was okay going out to play. I guess she was tired of being cooped up in the cabin. We ended up going out to the shuffleboards. 

“This is the same one that Peter and I played at,” I cheered.

“You mean Francis,” Anneliese corrected me.

“He was Peter when we played here,” I cried.

“Let’s not play this game. It gives me the creeps that a murderer was playing this,” Anneliese said. 

I was disappointing, but I walked on to find another game. As we walked, we saw the two kids from the other day playing that same game of Deck Quoits.

“Hello!” I call over to them.

“Oh Hi!” Marjorie yelled when she saw us. “Want to play with us?”

“Not really,” I said as I came over. “I’d rather watch.

“Suit yourself,” Marjorie joked. “What about you?” She said to Anneliese.

“I guess,” she said. 

As I watched them play, I heard a few people walking by talking. There were two men, and they didn’t seem to be very nice. “What’s this garbage doing on here,” one man growled. He was talking about the lifeboats on the deck. “Kind of a waste of space for a ship that is unsinkable.”

“I agree,” the other man said. “Not even God himself can sink this ship!” They started walking away but continued talking.

I decided to follow them. My sister was too busy playing to notice that I was gone, and I should be back before she even knows. 

As I walk, I find out that these men are actually from First Deck. I wonder why they came down here. I continued walking with them. They walked for a very long time talking about nonsense. I should have headed back because I didn’t notice I was walking into a place that was forbidden for Second Class passengers.

“Hey kid!” a man yelled, running towards me. I stopped and looked at him. It was a crew-member of this ship. The two men I was following looked at me, laughed and continued on their way. “What are you doing on the First Class Promenade?”

“The what?” I said, looking around. 

“Come with me, young lady,” he grabs me.

“You don’t have to do that,” another man said. 
The crew-member looked towards the man. 

“Captain Smith... Sir!” he gasped. “I caught her sneaking into…”

“Leave it up to me,” Captain Smith said. The Crew-Member let me go and walked back to where he was assigned earlier.

Titanic Captain Smith.png
Captain Edward Smith

“So,” he smiled down at me. “You’re the girl that helped capture a criminal.”

“What?” I shrieked.

“Come with me,” He put his hand on my shoulder and we walked. I was surprised I was still walking in First Class. “You became a hero in a way. This man has been on the run for over fifteen years.”

“But Peter was such a nice guy,” I cried.

“Is that what he called himself?” Captain Smith pondered.

“Yes,” I answered. “Peter Good Man,” I cleared my throat, “Goodmann.”

Captain Smith laughed. “Did he really clear his throat saying his name?”

“Yes,” I giggled.

As we walked, I saw Momma, Papa, and Anneliese looking for me. 

“There’s my family!” I tell Captain Smith, pointing at them. We walk down to them. 

Papa scolds me for leaving Anneliese but looks up at the captain. 

“Captain Smith,” he stuttered.

Captain Smith chuckled. “Call me Edward Smith.”

“We’re really sorry for what Josephine has done,” Papa said looking at me.

“Don’t be sorry,” Captain Smith said. Why don’t your whole family come up and have dinner with me this evening.”

“Dinner with you,” mom was shocked.

“We’d love to, but tonight is Shabbat…” 

“So you’re Jewish?” Captain Smith asked. “Well, we can make it a Shabbat dinner with a traditional Jewish meal like matzo ball soup, fish, Challah bread and Latkes. we could also light some candles at the same time. I can have some of my own personal cooks start making them right away.”

“Let’s do it Papa!” both Anneliese and I sang.

Papa thought for a second. He looked at us and then at Momma. “Alright,” he finally answered. “It’s not like every day we get a chance to sit with the captain of a ship.”

Both Anneliese and I cheered.

up
64 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Nice story.

Nice story.
I recall hearing of an American woman from first class on a later ocean liner who was invited to dine at the captain's table.
She said that she did not pay for a first-class ticket only to have to dine with the staff.