Nicola – the stand-in - Chapter 11

Printer-friendly version
Filming the hunt scenes
Nicola on Moonbeam

Sometimes life has a habit of creeping up on you and sending you careering down a different and unexpected trajectory.


Nicola – the stand-in
Chapter 11

by Louise Anne Smithson

Copyright © 2021 Louise Anne Smithson
All Rights Reserved.

 


 
Chapter 11

I returned to Amy’s caravan where I continued signing her photographs and had just about finished the backlog by the time Amy returned from the set at about six thirty after a full day of filming.

‘How did it go?‘ I asked.

‘Fine, we’re back on schedule and I think we are both forgiven for the accident last week. Are they all set now for the hunt sequence tomorrow?’ she asked.

‘I believe so, I’m due at costume and makeup at 7.30am. Will you be required on set tomorrow?’

‘I’ll need to retake a few shots tomorrow morning using the second crew but after than I’ve nothing to do in the afternoon and for the whole of Wednesday, thanks to you. I’ve been asked to be available on standby on Thursday afternoon as they're planning to rewrite one outdoor scene where I’ll substitute for you at one point and deliver some dialogue. It also now looks as if Friday is going to be a long day of filming as Guy Lemon has other commitments from the weekend onwards.’

‘All of this rescheduling was due to them deciding to extend the time allocated to the hunt scenes by one day.'

‘So I understand – your fault again,’ she said with a grin.

‘I’m sorry about that.’

‘Don’t worry, it has worked out fine for me. I met this cool guy called Rob Singleton at the ‘after-show party’ on Saturday night and he drove me back here on Sunday night. He called me and is now planning to drive back on Tuesday night to take me out to dinner in a Michelin starred restaurant near Chippenham.’

‘That sounds quite expensive. What does he do for a living?’ I asked.

‘I’m not absolutely sure but money doesn’t seem to be a problem for him. Normally you have to make a reservation at this restaurant weeks in advance, so he must have bribed someone.’

‘But what happened about the last guy you were going out with?’

‘Joe Rogers? He’s gay but still in the closet. We went out together for the sake of both our careers – to give the press something to write about.’

‘Oh, I see. I hope you have a good time tomorrow night.’

‘Thanks, and don’t wait up for me.’

She then changed the subject.

‘Talking of posh meals, Frank wants to have a talk with both of us on Friday after we finish shooting. I explained that it was your birthday and we were planning to get away promptly and have dinner together at the local pub but he was adamant that he wanted to speak to us both together, and it was the only time he has free. However, he has offered to treat us both to dinner in an expensive restaurant in Salisbury instead; would that be alright with you?’

‘I suppose so,’ I replied. ‘You can’t exactly refuse an invitation from ‘The Director' of the film, but what does he want to talk to us about?’

‘I’ve no idea.’

‘He does realise that I will be going as Nicola?’

‘Yes, I reminded him that you’d still be in girl mode until Saturday morning, but he said that since you looked great as Nicola it wouldn’t be a problem.’

‘Alright, in that case I’ll wear the dress that Sue loaned me last Sunday, or do you think that it’s a bit too girly?’

‘No, I don’t think it’s too girly, but since it’s your birthday on Friday and Frank is paying the bill, I suggest that we should both dress up for the occasion. I’ll wear the dress that I wore to the awards last week. You could wear my black and silver outfit, the one you tried on last Wednesday and which looked so good on you. I’ll arrange to pay Sandra to stay on and do our hair and makeup for us before we leave so we can both look our best and impress Frank.’

‘Isn’t that rather going over the top?’

‘Not at all! As it’s also going to be your last full day as Nicola, so I think we should both allow ourselves a small celebration.’

‘Alright then, if you don’t mind lending me your dress and you think it will look alright on me,’ I replied.

‘Leave it to me and I’ll make the necessary arrangements while you’re filming over the next couple of days.

~o~O~o~

In the event, the filming the hunt scene went smoothly given the numbers of cast crew and extras involved. This was largely due to the detailed planning involved, as a single paragraph in the script, had to be translated into three whole days of filming and broken down into nearly ninety storyboards. On the first day I was on set in costume and makeup by 8.30 am and walked towards the stables.

‘Good morning Nikki, no hunting costume?’ said Guy, who was dressed in a traditional black hunting jacket and fawn waistcoat.

I was dressed in the royal blue riding habit designed for Amy, whereas everyone else was wearing black hunt coats.

‘No, it was a deliberate choice by the directors and costume designers. They’d decided that the character of Lucy Robarts, would not have been able to afford a separate hunting costume. That way I’ll be readily recognisable in any long shots.’

‘As always, you look very nice.’

‘Thank you, kind sir.’

We went to collect our respective mounts. Alan had Moonbeam ready saddled and helped me to mount and passed me the whip.

‘Good luck, Nikki, and take care of Moonbeam for us. I will be on set behind the cameras in case there are any issues with the horses. We should get a good view of the gallop without fouling any of the camera angles.’

‘I trust there will also be a paramedic on hand as well in case there are any issues with the riders,’ I said with a grin. ‘But don’t worry, I promise not to let any harm come to Moonbeam. You should be able to pick the two of us out during the gallop without too much difficulty.’

~o~O~o~

Although I’ve never been a particular fan of the idea hunting foxes with dogs and I would never have been able to afford to take part in a drag hunt, I have ridden astride in several steeplechases whilst working as a stable lad and there is no denying ‘the thrill of the chase’ in such circumstances. Only Guy and I from the main cast were going to be present for the hunt scenes, all the other riders, including a couple of women were experienced horse-riders employed as extras. This inevitably meant that I, and to a lesser extent Guy, were very much the centre of attention when planning the different shots. This was even more so as I was riding side-saddle, and there were helicopters and drones flying overhead. Nonetheless, Moonbeam and the other horses involved behaved impeccably. Inevitably there were occasions when the horses had to be reined in so that the same shots could be repeated several times to provide a range of footage from different angles, but there were also times when the horses were given ‘free rein’ to follow the dogs for a mile or more at full gallop before they needed to be rested.

We continued filming for as long as the light held but eventually returned the horses to be fed and groomed.

‘That was most impressive riding, especially in that costume,’ said Joe, one of my former flatmates, as he helped me to dismount. ‘I was watching the gallop from that hill over there.’

‘Thanks Joe., we’ll now have to see how she behaves tomorrow when we are being chased by a couple of off-road vehicles,’ I said giving Moonbeam a friendly pat before she was led away to be given a rub-down and fed.

~o~O~o~

I hadn’t seen Amy all day. She had still been asleep when I left the caravan to go to costume and makeup that morning and then she had been filming indoors with the second unit for the remainder of the morning. There was no sign of her when I eventually returned feeling exhausted but elated after a day’s riding; she had presumably left to go on her date. I therefore took a shower and went to bed early. I was awakened by the sound of her boyfriend’s sports car drive up and looking at my phone I noticed it was 4.30 a.m. It was just as well she was not required for filming on Wednesday as well. Amy went quietly to bed, but I was now fully awake and unable to get back to sleep again. My mind was racing, remembering everything that had happened to me during the last ten days and wondering what I was going to do once we finished filming and I had to revert to my male persona.

As far as I was concerned, the time so far spent as Nicola had been one of the most interesting and enjoyable periods in my life. This was not only because of the novelty of filming or the horse riding but primarily because I got to experience life in a new gender. It wasn’t just a question of having long hair and eyelashes, or wearing different clothes and makeup, or sharing a caravan with a starlet. It was rather about being accepted and appreciated. But unfortunately, I only had three days of filming left before having to revert to being a boy and would have to leave to find a new job and somewhere to live. I then got to wondering whether there was any capacity in which I might continue as Nicola for a while. It seemed most unlikely but perhaps I could ask Frank when I saw him on Friday?

~o~O~o~

Sue, the Assistant Director, and Guy, were waiting for me when I arrived on set after costume and makeup on Wednesday morning. She handed us both a revised schedule

‘The shoot went pretty well yesterday but we are going to need to record some more soundtrack of the hunt at full gallop for use with the drone and helicopter footage.’

‘Will you need Guy and me for that?’ I asked.

‘No, we can probably make do with the other riders to provide us with the necessary soundtrack, but we will need you both on set until about 11.00 a.m. That’s when we’ll begin filming from the two off-road vehicles and we have to ensure that you are both in a good line of sight for the cameras.’

‘I trust that there’ll be no danger of them crashing into the riders,’ said Guy.

‘I don’t think so, as long as you both can control your mounts. The production designers have chosen the location carefully and the drivers are very experienced. It may be a bit hairy for the cameramen, though.’

‘Amy mentioned that you are also planning some changes on Thursday afternoon,’ I said.

‘Yes, we would now like you to take a fall after one of the jumps, but don’t worry we’ll ensure that you have a soft landing and that Moonbeam isn’t spooked during the filming. Guy will ride up and dismount, and then we’ll have Amy come in and deliver a couple of lines. After that Guy will help you to remount.’

‘Alright so long as it is a soft landing.’ I said.

Sue smiled, as if to say ‘she hoped so too’ but then walked away to talk to the camera team.

‘As we are not going to be needed for an hour or so shall we get ourselves some breakfast, Nikki?' asked Guy. ‘There’s something I would like to talk to you about.’

‘Okay, but I’ll just have a coffee, if that’s alright’ I replied, pleased to be invited.

~o~O~o~

I was puzzled by Guy’s invitation and wondered what he might wish to say to me. He was good looking, in his late twenties and at last beginning to make a name for himself as an actor, having progressed within a few films from secondary roles, to the deuteragonist (second lead) and at last to the protagonist or main lead. The character of Lucy Robarts would be his ‘love interest’ in the story. Any girl would have been happy to be seen having a coffee with him and for the next few days, at least, I included myself in that category. Yet Guy was also known to be happily married with two young children, so there was no danger of any dalliance with cast members. Of course, he knew all about my background but had always treated me with politeness and respect. Thus, we chatted inconsequentially for ten minutes or so whilst we ordered our coffees and took them to an empty table. He then turned to the subject on his mind.

‘So, where’s our leading lady today?’ he asked.

‘She was still sleeping when I left the caravan,’ I replied. ‘She went out on a hot date last night and came back quite late.’

‘Hmm, Amy is a talented young actress, but she needs to watch her step if she wants to have a long-term career. There are plenty of guys out there, intent on seducing young starlets.’

‘I’m sure Amy can look after herself, we may be dressed as if we are living in the mid-nineteenth century, but we are living in the twenty-first century,’ I replied.

‘Maybe, but it isn’t just a question of her losing her unsullied reputation. A friend saw her at a showbiz party last weekend snorting coke ‘like there was no tomorrow’. The man she was with is also a well-known dealer. Someone should have a word with her before it gets in the press or she gets arrested for possession or even drug-dealing. That’s quite apart from what it’ll ultimately do to her appearance.’

‘In that case why don’t you speak to her?’

‘I’m not sure she would take it from me, I’m seven years her senior and married, and I wouldn’t want to shop her to Frank or the production company. But she may be more willing to take advice from you as you are of a similar age.’

‘I’m just her stand-in, I can’t tell her what or what not to do. In any event, after Saturday, I won’t have any dealings with her.’

‘That’s a pity. I should hate to see her career ruined through her own stupidity.’

‘Perhaps you could have a word with her manager?’ I suggested.

‘I doubt if I’ll get the chance. I’ll be finishing here on Friday and I’m then going to the States for several weeks for my next film.’

I didn’t answer, not knowing what to do. Finally, he broke the silence.

‘We had better collect our horses and re-join the main group of riders in good time to begin today’s filming.’

~o~O~o~

Wednesday proved to be the most exciting of the three days devoted to the hunt as the mobile cameras were now much closer to the riders, especially to Guy and myself. Fortunately, our horses did not pay too much attention to the 4x4 with camera crew running a few feet away from them. Amy came on set towards the end of the afternoon, presumably having spent much of the rest of the day catching up with her sleep. We had just finished filming for the day and one of the stable lads had taken Moonbeam to be rubbed down. She joined me as I walked back towards the ladies’ costume and makeup caravan. I wondered whether I should say something about what I had learned from Guy, but what could I say? In any event she now looked a picture of health.

‘How did you get on Tuesday night?’

‘It was great, we had a wonderful meal,’ she replied, but she didn’t seem willing to elaborate, especially as to what they were doing until 4.30 a.m.

She then changed the subject.

‘By the way, I’ve made all the necessary arrangements for our joint date with Frank on Friday evening. We’ll meet him at the restaurant and I’ve ordered a taxi for seven thirty. You should be free during the afternoon so Sandra can fix your hair and makeup first whilst I finish my filming. Then she can be free to help me get ready.’

I decided that it was not my place to comment on her actions the previous Saturday.

~o~O~o~

 


 

Next week:

Thanks for the comments and corrections everyone. Feel free to keep them coming.
Louise

up
308 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Thanks Louise

Another fun chapter. Looks like Amy is headed towards the “dark side”. She has been so nice to Nikki that it would be a shame to see anything (too) bad happen to her. OTOH, that may offer Nikki some longer term employment opportunities. Eagerly awaiting next week’s installment.

Janice

"not my place to comment on

"not my place to comment on her actions", unfortunately too many people take that stance and then regret when the other person dies from ovedose.

Cocaine God's way of telling

Cocaine God's way of telling you you have too much money.
Looks like Nicola needs a trip to rehab.
A trip to rehab would mean she needs to stand in for longer as part of a cover-up so the press does not find out she is in rehab.
So a lot of public appearances in pretty dresses and interviews promoting the film with her playing the role of Nicola.
She might even date Joe Rogers.

Ah Ha!

0.25tspgirl's picture

Nicola gets to stand in for Amy while she goes into rehab! So says The Great Karnac.

BAK 0.25tspgirl

How does one know...

...who is sincere, i.e. Guy's information about Amy; the two meeting with the director. I am fairly sure Nicola has mixed feelings about her time as a woman ending. Good story interestingly tied together.

Hugs, Jessie C

Jessica E. Connors

Jessica Connors

Something tells me.......

D. Eden's picture

That Frank has another project in mind for the two of them, but exactly how the issue with Amy’s coke habit and her drug dealer boyfriend comes into play is beyond me. Perhaps she gets caught with him by the police and Nikki ends up finishing the filming or taking her place in the future?

Nikki is right, it’s not her place to say anything to Amy - at least not until filming is finished. Amy will probably not take it well, and that would definitely not do Nikki’s position or the film any good.

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

Nicola and Amy

Snarfles's picture

I agree to some extent, during the filming things could go sideways too easily, but this is Hollywood, rumors fly so quickly true or not. They also have this thing where they tell a story 'based on a true story' and with a bit of tact, Niki could suggest the details without being confrontational about it. Perhaps on the cab ride to dinner?

Maybe:

Hypatia Littlewings's picture

"I heard a rumor you should be aware of." Maybe?

Point taken

I have changed three occurrences but left one for the sake of a conversational tone. Louise

Great fun

crash's picture

I'm having great fun reading about Nickola and the rest of the crew. It seems a bit of intrigue is being mixed in. Thanks again for posting here.
I very much admire how you craft your work. As always I'm looking forward to your next segment.

Your friend
Crash

Self-Interest?

joannebarbarella's picture

Maybe Nicola doesn't feel she should comment on Amy's cocaine habit, but do I detect some self-interest there? Even if it's unconscious is it a manifestation of Nicola's desire to keep on being Nicola?

Guy, not Nikki

Jamie Lee's picture

Amy has stars in her eyes and only thinks about now and not what if. As a result, she doesn't even consider she won't always be a star in the eyes of the public.

If what Guy told Nikki is true, Amy risks more than never acting again but possibly losing her freedom.

It doesn't matter if Guy won't be around much longer, he's the one with the information and should be the one talking to Amy. And it doesn't matter if Amy hears it during filming, she risked being caught using drugs during filming time.

Nick has thought about going back to being himself when filming is over, and has never considered he might be asked to become Nicola in her own movie or series. Neither has he considered actually becoming Nicola for the rest of his life.

Others have feelings too.