Nicola - the stand-in - Chapter 4

Printer-friendly version
Amy’s plans for me!!
Nicola on Moonbeam

Sometimes life has a habit of creeping up on you and sending you careering down a different and unexpected trajectory.


Nicola – the stand-in
Chapter 4

by Louise Anne Smithson

Copyright © 2021 Louise Anne Smithson
All Rights Reserved.

 


 
Chapter 4

As promised, Amy arrived back at three o'clock, dressed in her riding costume, accompanied by Frank and Joan, his personal Assistant. Amybrought with her a couple of plastic carrier bags which she put down on the floor in one corner of the caravan.

‘How’s the patient doing?’ she asked.

‘Take a look for yourself,’ replied Frances, indicating me as I was just being helped by Sandra to put on the finishing touches to the spare riding costume and examining their efforts in the full-length mirror. I think everyone (including me) was astounded at how convincing I now looked. I was not an exact double of Amy but there was a marked similarity in our appearance in terms of build, clothing and hairstyle. I didn’t doubt that I would be able to be mistaken for Amy in all but closeups.’

‘Wow just look at you, Nicola, you could almost be my sister,’ Amy said with a smile.

I blushed slightly not knowing what to say in reply.

Frank turned to Sue and her two assistants, 'I think you three have done a very good job, I think she looks wonderful.’

It appeared that I would have to get used to everyone referring to me in this, although Frank noticed my embarrassment.

‘I hope you won’t mind if we call you ‘Nicola’ and refer to you as ‘she’ from now on when you’re dressed like that. It will be less embarrassing for all concerned,’ he said.

‘I guess not,’ I replied tentatively, ‘so long as you go back to referring to me as ‘Nick’ and ‘he’ once again when I am wearing my guys’ clothes once again.’

Amy and Sandra exchanged glances but no-one else appeared to notice,

‘Yes, of course, but it will make everyone’s life a lot less complicated to think of you as ‘she’ when you are on set, continued Frank. ‘I’ll be speaking to the crew and the other performers to ensure that there are no snide jokes about you, derogatory comments or mis-gendering when you arrive on set tomorrow morning.’

‘Thanks, that would probably make life less embarrassing for me’ I said.

‘You certainly look the part, but how does it feel to be dressed as a Victorian lady?’ asked Joan.

I shrugged.

‘My hair extensions and ears are a little bit uncomfortable, but I’m told that will soon wear off. Having these boobs also feels a little odd, but I guess I’ll eventually get used to them together with these clothes,’ I replied.

‘Well at least you won’t have to wear the ridiculous long dresses and corsets that I’ll be expected to wear in some of the indoor scenes,’ commented Amy.

‘Looking the way she does, we may yet wish to employ Nicola services as a stand-in in other scenes, assuming she can learn how to display the right gestures and body language,’ muttered Frank to Joan.

I was not sure whether or not I was intended to overhear that comment.

Frank then turned to the group ‘I think that it’s now time that Nicola gave us a further demonstration of her horse-riding skills to prove that all this trouble and expense has been worthwhile.’

Our party made its way over to the stables, where Alan had been told to saddle and prepare Moonbeam. He took one look at me, and another at Amy, and his mouth dropped open in utter disbelief. He did not dare to say anything in front of the Director and one of the main stars, though.

‘Would you get the mounting block and help this young lady into the saddle,’ said Frank gesturing to me.

Alan did as he was instructed and helped me to mount Moonbeam and get securely seated. He then handed me the reins. I smiled and thanked him before starting to ride, initially in the yard and then in the adjoining field.

Over the next quarter of an hour or so I proved that my ability to ride side saddle at different speeds was quite unaffected by the clothes that I was wearing. Once again, I demonstrated that I could retain my seat whilst galloping at full speed and this time jumping over a low hedge.

‘That riding looks pretty impressive, maybe we could change the shooting schedule to incorporate some more shots of Lucy Robarts into hunt scene at the editing stage,’ commented Frank.

‘I’ll talk to the Director of Photography and make sure that we have a variety of action shots in the can, for the final edit,’ replied Joan.

‘When are we planning to begin filming the hunt scene?’ he asked

She consulted her clip board.

‘In ten days from now assuming that everything has gone to plan.’

‘That should give him plenty of time to make any necessary alterations to the schedule.’

Eventually I returned to the group, was helped to dismount by Alan and once again thanked him with a smile. I also gave a gentle pat to Moonbeam before leaving him with Alan and walking over to join the group of onlookers, now feeling far more confident than before.

‘Well done, young lady. So that seems to be another problem solved,’ said Frank, then turning to Joan, 'What time will we need them both on set tomorrow?’

She consulted her schedule.

‘We’re planning to begin a lighting rehearsal at 8.00am so we could really do with the actors by 8.30am.

‘That will mean a 7.00am start in costume and makeup, I’m afraid. At least until we are used to dealing with the two of you together,’ said Sue.

Frank and Joan moved on to deal with other problems elsewhere on the set and Alan led Moonbeam back to the stables wondering just what had happened to his former roommate. The remainder of the group made its way back to the makeup and costume trailer to enable Amy and I to change out of their costumes. As we were walking back Amy turned towards me

‘Thanks, for everything, Nicola. You don’t know how relieved I am that I won’t now be expected to ride side-saddle.’

‘I’m sure you would have been alright with a little more practice, but I’m also pleased to be able to help,’ I replied.

‘As soon as we’re both changed out of costume you can move your stuff to my caravan before we go and get ourselves some dinner,

I was both surprised and pleased to be addressed in this friendly way by such a famous person. Amy appeared to be both willing to offer me accommodation and also happy to spend time with me.

Amy smiled and walked on, seemingly unsure what she was going to say next. It wasn’t until we were both back at the costume and makeup caravan and were about to begin changing out of our costumes that she made up her mind to speak again.

‘When Sue and her assistants explained to me what they were planning to do with you, this morning, I realised that it wasn’t going to be practicable for you to change back into boy mode at the end of each day’s filming. I’ve therefore bought a few clothes in Salisbury for you to wear when you’re not on the set. Don’t worry, I haven’t bought anything too girly, just some smart casual clothes for you to wear around the caravan or if we’re seen outside together.’

‘Nobody said anything to me yesterday about dressing as a girl when I wasn’t filming,’ I replied anxiously.

‘I know that, but be realistic; with that long hair, those boobs and your lovely long eyelashes, you can hardly avoid looking like a girl, whatever clothes you choose to wear off set. Also, as Frank said, you're going to need to learn to adopt female mannerisms and gestures. I shan’t be expecting you to wear high-heels or frilly dresses or anything like that, but it will be a lot less embarrassing for me if the press or other visitors to the set don’t start asking why Amy O’Donnell’s stand-in is always dressed in men’s clothes.’

I hesitated unsure what to say in reply. I was still somewhat in awe of Amy and didn’t want to argue outright. Once she saw that I was not going to argue every point she continued talking.

‘I’ve bought a nice dark red trouser suit with a pink silk blouse which should be just right for you. I’ve also got a pair of low- heeled sling-backs for you to wear in the evenings. I’ve brought them with me,’ she said pointing to the plastic bag that she’d brought to the caravan, earlier.

‘Would you at least like to try them on once after we’ve changed out of our costumes?’

‘But how did you know what size to get?’

Amy laughed.

‘Because you’re the same size as me, that was the whole point of employing you.’

‘I won’t be able to afford to repay you for them,’ I replied.

‘I realise that, but as it was partly due to my mistake that you’re now having to look like a girl for the next fortnight; the least I can do is to provide you with a few clothes to wear in the evenings.’

Again, I did not reply immediately as I was turning over in my mind the implications of what she was suggesting. Amy therefore turned to the costume manager who was standing behind her.

‘What do you think, Sue?’ she asked.

‘Well, I suppose it’s up to Nick or Nicola what he or she chooses to wear when not on set, but I can see your point, Amy’.

Sue then turned to me: ‘it would be a shame to waste the money that Amy has spent. Why not at least try them on, and then make your decision? We’ll let you know whether they look alright, on you.’

‘Very well then,’ I replied.

‘Good!’ said Amy. ‘And what’s more, if you do decide to wear the outfit this evening, I’ll treat you to dinner in a local restaurant. There is rather a nice country pub that serves meals, only a couple of miles away.’

Half an hour later we returned to Amy’s caravan, with me now dressed in the trouser suit and sling-backs and carrying the clothes that Nick had worn earlier that morning in the plastic carrier bag. Amy was carrying another bag containing the various cleansers and moisturisers, a bristle hairbrush, and a shower cap which had all been provided by the makeup girls for me to use.

‘This is where you’re going to be living for the next fortnight,’ said Amy opening the door to a small bedroom. You’ll see that I’ve also bought three different outfits for you and several sets of underclothes for those times when you aren’t filming,’ she said opening the wardrobe.

‘Amy, I’m still not sure about all this.’

‘Why? Don’t you like them?’

‘No, it’s not that. I think they’re all fine, but you seem to want to treat me as a girl.’

Amy sighed.

‘It is nothing personal, but it is going to make life a lot less complicated for us both if I do so. If I were to treat you as a guy I would be anxious that I was giving you, or other people for that matter, the wrong impression. On the other hand, if I think of you as a girl then we can be friends. You can stay in my caravan and we can go out to dinner together without my worrying what people are thinking, or what is going to appear in the gossip columns the next day.’

‘I really don’t believe I would have got the wrong impression,’ I said.

‘Maybe not, but my boyfriend in London would undoubtedly have done so. Also, the gutter press are always on the lookout for a new story to write about me.’

‘I suppose so.’

‘In any event, it is going to be quite difficult for me to think of you as a guy, looking the way you do at the moment,’ she said, smiling.

I looked at myself in the mirror and couldn’t disagree, but I was still unsure about what to do.

‘It’s just that I don’t think that I ought to accept them as I can’t afford to pay you for them.’

‘I’ve already explained that they are a gift – between friends. But if it is really worrying you then I’m sure there will be one or two things you will be able do for me, by way of repayment, especially as Lorna my P.A. is no longer around.’

‘What sort of things?’

‘She used to go through my fan mail for me and in the evenings would go through my scripts with me to help me to learn my lines. You could also give me one or two additional riding lessons when we’re not both required on set.’

‘I should be happy to do that.’

‘Good, so are we agreed that I can put Nick’s belongings into store for the next fortnight?’

I sighed, but now appeared to have lost some of my earlier resolve.

‘Yes, I suppose so.’

‘Great. Now how would you feel about getting ourselves some dinner in the village?’

‘I don’t mind, but nowhere too expensive, if that’s ok with you.’

‘Don’t worry I’ll be putting tonight’s meal down on my expense account.’

‘Thanks.’

‘One thing though, I won’t be expecting you to wear makeup as a rule, but you would look a lot better in that outfit with a little lipstick and some eye shadow. Will you at least do that for me since we are going out together?’

‘I’m afraid I don’t have any makeup, and in any event, Frances told me not to use oil-based mascara.’

Amy smiled and went to her handbag.

‘Don’t worry I bought some suitable colours to match when I purchased the outfit this morning and you don’t need to use mascara on those false eyelashes.’

‘In that case, you had better show me how to put on the lipstick and eye shadow.’

‘Sit down at the mirror and I’ll give you your first ever makeup lesson.’

‘Alright then,’ I said now resigned to accepting whatever she had in store for me.

There aren’t that many people who can claim that their first makeup lesson was given to them by a famous actress. Amy was a competent instructor and within fifteen minutes I was admiring myself in the bedroom mirror, whilst she quickly finished her own face. I had seen myself in the Victorian riding costume but there was no doubt I now looked like a convincing and attractive twenty-first century young lady. I was pleased that I had allowed myself to be persuaded into spending the remainder of the day as Nicola.

Shortly afterwards Amy appeared at my bedroom door and smiled as she noticed me admiring myself.

‘It has turned a little chilly outside, so I’ll loan you a light coat to wear and you had better borrow one of my handbags to carry but I’ll want them both back in due course.’

‘Alright, thanks but what do I need to put in the handbag?’

‘Oh just the usual, your wallet, your keys, some tissues. Maybe you had better also take the lipstick and face powder that I bought for you in case you need to repair your makeup.’

As we were leaving Amy's caravan she handed me a twenty-pound note.

‘I hope you don’t mind but I’ve booked the taxi in your name so please will you pay the driver. It will save any complications if I am recognised. I accepted the money.

‘But what if he recognises me as a guy?’

She smiled. ‘He shouldn’t do so from your looks but try and raise the pitch of your voice a little.’

‘I’ll do my best.’

Amy got out of the taxi first and as I was paying the driver he asked.

‘Excuse me miss, but is that Amy O’Donnell, the tv star that you are travelling with?’

I smiled and confirmed that it was. Nobody had ever referred to me as ‘miss’ before.

~o~O~o~

 


 

Next week: Dinner with Amy!

Thanks for the comments and corrections everyone. Feel free to keep them coming.
Louise

up
319 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Building momentum...

SammyC's picture

I must admit I was a bit lost at the start. Didn't see where this was headed. But the chapters keep getting better and better. I can see that the rest of the story is going to be quite engrossing as the characters are delineated. Looking forward to more.

Sammy

I Don't Know How Yet

joannebarbarella's picture

But I'm betting that two weeks gets s-t-r-e-t-c-h-e-d somehow.

Nicola is being made comfortable in her "temporary" role.

What an enjoyable story

Louise,
What a great story you are writing! I can't wait for your next post.
Thank you for this story

Casual red trouser suit?

MonicaS's picture

I like the story a lot. Nudging Nick to Nicola one little bit at a time makes it hard for him to complain.

But can a red trouser suit with slingbacks be casual? There are certainly less conspicuous outfits that are smart enough.

And why does Frank want Nicola to stand in for Amy in more scenes? It seems people have hidden motives.

Monica

i don't think

Maddy Bell's picture

he does, he's thinking that he can use Nicola in more scenes as an 'extra', I mean, its not a big leap is it, but someone 'will' end up in crinolines and corsets and what if something was to happen to Amy, they'd have the perfect stand in ready to go!


image7.1.jpg    

Madeline Anafrid Bell

So similar!

I wrote a story like this many years ago. The setting was different, a period piece but set around the time when various robbery gangs were using Oklahoma Territory to hide out.* There was actually such a movie being filmed with parts filmed in Guthrie, the territorial capital, about 50 miles away. Applying for a job as an extra, the casting director flags my app as I look just like one of the actresses. No trouble figuring out where it goes from there!

Unfortunately I never wrote it out, seeing a few similiar stories I figured that boat had sailed. But this bears such an uncanny likeness its amazing!

Great work!

* True History!


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

My inspiration for the story

I read somewhere that a male understudy was required to ride side-saddle in Victorian female dress during the production of the Charge of the Light Brigade in the 1960s, in order to get a horse used to it. Apparently the horse later threw the actress concerned and so the scene was deleted.
Louise

In This Genera

crash's picture

In this genera there are lots of plots and plot devices that get re-used over and over. "Looks like the actress" is not as common as many others.
You have my vote for writing up your costume drama with an xd twist. It's not even far of the mark for real stunt doubles.

Your friend
Crash

Loving the conversation...

It is often what I treasure most when a woman accepts me. "If I were to treat you as a guy" it wouldn't have been the same. Though yet unknown to him, I believe it will become a treasured part of their friendship that she treats her as another woman.
Hugs, Jessie

Jessica E. Connors

Jessica Connors

Just my normal complements

crash's picture

I love where this is going. I enjoy the costuming and dressing scenes. Your dialog is spot on.
Character development is going along well. I love Nick/Nicola already and Amy seems polite at least.
Use of "whilst" is unusual in American English. Is it common in um British English?

It looks like I have lots of company looking forward to your next segment.

Your friend
Crash

"Whilst"

joannebarbarella's picture

Is like "whom". It is PROPER English, but becoming less and less common as each generation becomes less and less educated.

Not really

erin's picture

Whilst is no more "proper" than while; it's just an archaism that has been resurrected in British English where it has become common in the last century or so. Whilst had nearly completely died out in English on both sides of the Atlantic except in some local dialects until the Edwardians decided to start using it again. It was apparently a fad in English public schools that spread to the general speech. It's now standard in British English and sounds weirdly affected in American English.

And "whom" is currently becoming more common, after years of decline, at the same time as it is being more commonly misused.

Hugs,
Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

Why no objection?

Jamie Lee's picture

So far Nick has gone along with everything done for his being Amy's stand-in. Even accepting the clothing Amy bought for him.

But because he was worried what his flat mates would say he moved out during production. And yet, Amy is taking him out to dinner while being Nicola and he hasn't made a fuss being out in public as Nicola. Why? If he's worried people will see a boy dressed as a girl why not fuss about Nicola being seen in public?

Others have feelings too.