Gaby Book 22 ~ Avoidance ~ Chapter *14*

Printer-friendly version
book 22 full cover.jpg

 

*Chapter 14*
Guilty as charged

 

Snrrkkk…..Pwhrrrrrrrrr. Snrrkkk…..Pwhrrrrrrrrr.

Something in my grey matter closed a connection and I jerked into sudden comsciousness.

Snrrkkk…..Pwhrrrrrrrrr. Snrrkkk…..Pwhrrrrrrrrr.

It took a moment more for my synapses to register the grating noise somewhere close by.

Snrrkkk…..Pwhrrrrrrrrr. Snrrkkk…..Pwhrrrrrrrrr.

Snoring, that's alright, hang on, that's not Con. So if its not Connie? I got my eyes open and pushed myself into a more upright position, this isn’t our bedroom.Then it came back to me, steak and chips, beer, snoggin’ which means, shitza! The mound beside me repeated its sawing.

Snrrkkk…..Pwhrrrrrrrrr. Snrrkkk…..Pwhrrrrrrrrr.

Ernst. I gave a shiver before realising that a BH and panties do not keep you warm once you are exposed from the shared warmth and cover of a sleeping bag. Bum, bum, bum, I found my dress in the gloom and just about managed to crawl into it, well a bit warmer. I squinted at my wrist watch, two o’clock is that? Guess I’d best make my self scarce.

Somehow, the fact I’d just woken up next to a lad I barely know, in a state of undress, didn’t faze me like waking next to Max in Bonn. Maybe because Max was a shock, because I remember actually getting a bit warm and sweaty with Ernst, I knew what was going on. And maybe because my bed partner fell asleep before me.

 

Outside of the tiny tent I stood up and surveyed my surroundings, the moon was doing a good job of lighting things, all round being silent – well apart from the sawing of Ernst behind me and assorted other snorts and sawing from other mobile bed spaces. I slipped my sandals back on and crept over to the dark bulk of the girls tent where I did my best to gain quiet entry. I stripped out of dress and footwear again before crawling into the space I’m sharing with Con.

I’d actually got into my sleeping bag before the lack of sawing alerted me to Con being at least semi awake.

“That you Gab?”
“Uh huh.”
“Time is it?”
“Just gone two,” I whispered back.
“Where you bin?”
“In the morning,” I suggested.
“Hmmm, nite.”
“Nite,” I returned before snuggling down into my bed.

Great, I suppose I’m gonna get the Spanish Inquisition in the morning now.

 

Despite my disturbed nights sleep I was still awoke with the birds and having donned my PJ’s, managed to escape to the showers without crossing paths with any of my friends. The hot water was a delight, I luxuriated in its caress, relaxing as any kinks disappeared. I might’ve deflected another love bite on the neck but the livid bruising of another coloured my left breast – damn! Well I guess its easier to hide than the neck.

 

“Morning!” I greeted the assorted zombies when I returned to girl central.
“Not so loud,” Steff requested.
“Er soz, so, good night?”
“Not bad, where were you?”
“About,” I hedged, “I’ll do a coffee run shall I?”
“We’ll get it out of you Gaby Bond.”

No doubt about that.

 

“You expect us to believe that?” Pia proposed.
“Its the truth,” I whined.
“Maybe some of it,” Con suggested.
“Honest, I fell asleep and woke up with the cold, which is when I came back here.”
“Whatever,” Bridg allowed, “so when do you guys set off?”

Yeah, it hardly seems we’ve been here any time at all and its time to go back to the Ahrtal. Maybe its just as well, things with Ernst, well its a short plank and I’m not sure I could or want to avoid walking it. Not sure what that says about me – or my relationship with Max, if indeed we have a relationship beyond snogging.

“We’re supposed to get the train at two thirty,” Con advised.
“We can get a couple of hours by the lake first,” Nen proposed.

I thought about the brand on my chest, think the bikini’s out!

 

By the time we’d had breakfast and the three of us had the bulk of our gear packed it was well after nine, our co campers were already doing the lake thing.

“What’re you thinking?” Con asked as we walked along the lakeside for that last ‘beach’ session.
“Nothing.”
“Oh come on Gab, you’re so transparent,” Nen told me.
“It’ll be the tall, dark stranger,” Con giggled.
“His name’s Ernst.”
“Oooo,” Nen teased, “it has a name.”
“Poor Max got competition then?” my BF queried.
“Course not,” I snapped back, “I was just thinking that we hadn’t said good bye to the lads.”
“Or one lad in particular,” Nen proposed.
“No!”
“She doth protesteth too much,” Con mangled some of the Shakespeare Herr Viessner had us reading last year.

Yeah, the whole lot of ‘em had disappeared while we were getting breakfast – probably fishing again. I did get Ernst’s Handy number yesterday, maybe I’ll send an SMS later.

“Earth to Gaby?”
“Eh?”
“You were with the fairies again,” a bemused Con snickered.

 

We hit the campsite restaurant for hotdogs as the sun reached its zenith, our traveling trio then changing and completing our packing. I suppose we could’ve travelled in beach wear but lets face it, even stupid here knows that wouldn’t be a) comfortable or b) sensible. It was just after one when the three of us completed our goodbyes and set of for the Bahnhof.

 

Con sighed, “back to work tomorrow.”
“Yeah,” I agreed watching the vineyards of the Pfalz slip past the Zug’s windows.
“Thought you’d be racing or something Gab?” Nen suggested.

Oh yeah, the elephant.

“Not this week, I’ll do a couple of hours then come in, can’t have you guys doing everything.”
“’bout time you got time off from racing,” Nen opined.

‘I don’t want time off!’ I inwardly screamed.

They say no news is good news, but you can take that either way. Dad was upbeat but not really saying much when I spoke to him earlier to confirm our collection from Koblenz. Yes they were doing the tests, no they haven’t said anything, there’s still time before Spain – I think he was trying to stop me worrying but how can I?

“I like racing.”
“As much as kissing?” Nen asked.
“Got you there Bond,” Con crowed.
“They’re different things,” I noted in appeal.
Nen snickered, “i guess you don’t have to field test bike riding though.”
“So how did ‘Ernst’ score then Gabs?” Con pushed.
“He didn’t ‘score’ anything.”
“That bad eh?” Nen giggled.
“No, I mean it wasn’t like that.”
“The neck just appeared?” Con offered.
“Er course not.”

I can’t win can I?

 

“What I want to know,” Con started as we waited for our connection at Bingen, “is how come the only one of us with a regular boyfriend is the only one who scored at Dürkheim?”
“I didn’t ‘score’ as you put it.”
“You spent all day yesterday together,” Nena pointed out.
‘And half the night,’ Con mumbled.
“It made sense, his mates went fishing and you lot went shopping.”
“You coulda come.”
“I still don’t know how you do it Gab,” Con sighed.
“Do what?”
“Get the boys.”
“I do not ‘get’ them.”
“Well they certainly ‘get’ you,” Nen chimed.
“Urghh!”

 

“Not a word,” I hissed to my companions having spotted not just Dad but Max waiting outside the Bahnhof.
“What’s it worth?” Nen requested.
“Not walking home from here?”

They both made almost syncronised mouth zipping motions before falling about in hysterics. Anyone want two slightly used ex friends?

 

“Good trip?” Max asked slinging one arm around me, the other taking control of the Schauff.
“Missed you,” I suggested looking up at the familiar features.

I’m sure there was some sniggering behind me.

“So you resisted the lure of all the boys at the camping?”
“As if!”
“I thought that's why people go?”
“It might be why some people go,” I stated looking at my friends who were failing to look innocent.
“Come on you lot,” Dad chivvied, “I don’t want a ticket!”

 

“Pizza?” Dad enquired as Max lifted me down from the Hymer, having dropped the others off we finally reached Bond Acres a bit after seven thirty.
“Er sure,” I agreed.
“Max? I know what Gaby wants.”

Okay so I’m predictable.

“Anything thanks Herr Bond.”
“He’ll have anything with meat on Dad,” I stated.
“Won’t be long then, get the kettle on eh?”
“Yes Dad.”

 

“So why were Con and Nena acting all weird?” Max queried as he watched me loading the washing machine.
“They always act weird.”
“Okay, weird-er.”
I guess I ought to get in first, “there were some boys, from somewhere near Frankfurt, we had a barbeque with them and you know, volleyball and stuff at the lake.”
“So there was kissing and stuff eh?”
“Guess so, I just did the drinking and eating bit.”

I am so not telling him about Ernst, about last night.

He kissed my head, “I’ll go start the tea.”

 

Urgh! Why are you such a, a gentleman Max von Strechau? You know something went on don’t you, but you won’t say anything will you, won’t make a fuss. My mind back peddled to last night, to getting hot and sticky swapping spit with Ernst, do I want to do that with Max? Take it beyond the touchy feely stuff? Oh I don’t know, life’s so flippin’ complicated these days!

 

Maddy Bell © 29.01.2018

up
183 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Back to the real world, and

Back to the real world, and now gaby has to deal with her guilt as well as her drug test results. I don't envy her right now.

Life is complicated now days?

Jamie Lee's picture

Why does Gaby think her life is complicated now days? Because she isn't Drew anymore. She's a girl named Gaby, with accompanying different social standards. No longer will a tee-shirt and shorts do for general wear. No longer can she go without worrying about her appearance. And no longer is she safe being out alone as she was as Drew.

If Gaby had been 'normal' looking as a girl when she was born, life wouldn't seem so complicated. It would seem normal.

Others have feelings too.