Were we friends?

Printer-friendly version

This story is a work of fiction. Any similarities to others experience are entirely accidental.

This story is not meant to be an attack on anyone, least of all those who are reading it. Being a teenager can be hard. Being trans can also be. And both can cause changes in relationships with others. This is just meant to show one possible side of one possible story, that I have created in my mind, nothing more.

--SEPARATOR--

Lee was feeling confused and annoyed. He was annoyed that nothing could distract him from his confusion. Neither his books nor his music was working. The normal video games had been abandoned in seconds, too much a reminder of what was confusing him. He wished that the weather was better so he could practice his tennis but suspected that might end up much the same as the video games.

Letting out a sigh, he fell back on his bed, hoping that staring at the ceiling might work.

“Knock, knock.”

Lee turned to see his dad stood in the door frame.

“Are you okay Lee? You seem down.”

Letting out another sigh, Lee sat up. Sometimes he hated having a counsellor for a father, he always seemed to know when something was bothering Lee.

“Yeah. I’m fine. Just…”

“Dad, how did it feel when you found out that mum was cheating?”

His father joined him on the bed, Concern showing clearly on his face. He knew Lee hated talking about the divorce.

“I was devastated. I felt lied to, and unsure if anything I though we had together was real. Why? What’s happened?”

“You know Brian, right?” Lee answered turning his green eyes up towards his father. He bit his lips, unsure of how to continue, or even if he wanted to.

His father gave him an encouraging smile, saying “Yes dear. I know Brian. You and he came second in the double this summer.”

“And he’s, no he was my best friend.” Lee responded turning his head back to the floor. Lee didn’t have many friends, he wasn’t very outgoing, and was happier reading then playing most sports. That and his preference for shows like the repair shop over The Simpsons meant that he struggled to make connections with other year 8s.

“Well apparently he’s actually not a he. She came to school as a girl, told us she’s transgender, and that her name is now Isabel. I mean, what’s that even mean?” Lee said, his voice getting louder and louder as he rushed to finish the statement, bursting into tears at the end.

Lee could barely notice anything but his tears and breathing for the next few minutes. He felt his dad embrace him, and as he calmed down, could hear whispers of “It will be alright.” He suddenly felt very grateful that his mum never contested custody of him. When he finally felt calm enough, he gently pushed his father away, saying “Thanks dad.” As he did.

“So, Brian is now Isabel. Is that the problem?”

“Yes… no… both?” Said Lee, once again looking at the floor.

“I mean, I know the definition of transgender, and there’s nothing inherently wrong with being trans. And I appreciate it’s not a choice, and can make people miserable. I can deal with the idea, or that someone I know is trans.”

“So, it’s not the idea of someone being trans, that’s causing you trouble. Then what is it about Isabel that has you upset?”

“All day she was always with the other girls. Whether it was break or lunch. She never even said hello to me dad. And then everyone else started joking that we’d split up, that I wasn’t man enough for her, or that I should be in skirts servicing the boy’s teams whatever that means. It was worse than normal.”

If Lee had bothered to look up from the floor, he would have seen his dad looking appalled and yet also unsurprised; as if he had guessed his son might be being bullied.

“Why did it upset you that Isabel didn’t say hello?”

“Because Brian told me he liked to say hello to his friends, it meant he could check that they were alright.”

“So, if Isabel didn’t say hello…”

“Then maybe she was lying, or we weren’t really friends. I mean, if she could lie about being a boy and fool everyone into thinking she was one, then couldn’t she do the same about our friendship?” Lee whispered uncertainty and fear warring across his face.

“What if she actually hated all the things we did together? And if not, why couldn’t she trust me enough to tell me about all this dad? Or maybe she’ll tell Eve, and the other girls the things I said to her because I thought she was a boy, and trusted her?”

“Eve’s the girl you like isn’t she” Lee’s father said a small smile on his face. To which Lee could only blush and nod.

“Yes, but still, what do I do about Isabel. How can I know we are friends? I’m scared that I might have been wrong” Lee spoke trying to make his feeling clear. Then in a quiet voice he added “what if I accidentally hurt her without knowing?”

Lee’s father just silently brought his son into another hug. They stayed that way for a while, both enjoying the closeness to each other. Finally, after several minutes, Lee’s belly rumbled bringing them out of their thoughts.

“That’s a lot to have going on, and some really hard questions son. Honestly, and I hate to say this, there are no strictly right answers, though there may be wrong ones.”

“Like, hating Isabel before she does something to me, would be a wrong answer?” Lee grinned weakly.

“Yes, most wouldn’t consider that a good answer to the situation, but it is one you could choose.” His father answered with a smile of his own, a hint of pride in his eyes.

“Would I be correct in saying that what you need right now, is to find out how she feels about you? and if she is still the person you knew?”

“Thought I knew, maybe, yes.” Lees smile growing a little, as his body sagged in relief. He was glad his dad could help him figure out his feelings like this, and that he took the time to.

“Then you could wait and see what happens, or you could try talking to her about it.”

“But…” was Lees response fear draining the blood from his face.

“I couldn’t talk about this, not at school, it would just make everything worse.”

“Could you do it here? Would it help If I was there?”

Lee gave a hesitant nod, and then another one.

“Do you want me to call her mum, I could invite them round tomorrow?”

“Yes.” Came the boys whispered reply, his face pleading with his dad to do it.

“Ok, I’ll go call her now.” Said Lee’s dad, getting up from the bed. Once he reached the door he turned to say.

“And when I’m done, I’ll come back so we can discuss what to do about the school’s issue with bullies.”

“Yes, dad.”

up
150 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

well written

It's always great to see a new author who writes this well.

The best part of advice?

Andrea Lena's picture

Knowing when and how to ask the questions we need to hear to figure things out for ourselves. Love the dialogue! Thank you!

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

Were We Friends, a hard question...

to carry alone? It's a good story and eager to see where it goes. One can only wonder being in either's shoes. There is a love of best friends as guys. Does that play upon, what Lee's feeling?

Hugs, Jessie C

Jessica E. Connors

Jessica Connors

Very moving

Lucy Perkins's picture

Poor Lee. Abandoned by his only friend.
A good job that he has such a lovely Dad.
Great start.
Lucy xx

"Lately it occurs to me..
what a long strange trip its been."

Welcome to Bigcloset

This story could stand alone or have a followup of the relationship between Lee and Isobel. Also, should the title end with a question mark? Thank you for posting it.

Out Of The Mouths

joannebarbarella's picture

It is something that you can really see a kid worrying about and, unfortunately there is only one way to find out, which will produce either acceptance or rejection. I suspect that Isabel is probably just as worried for the same reasons.

A good start to the story.

As Said -- Great Dialogue

Extended dialogue is hard to write. You did wonderful.

Jill

Angela Rasch (Jill M I)