The Voyage of the Visund -29-

Printer-friendly version

The visitor at the docks is known to Ursula but unwanted. Hulo suggests a way out and all retire to his house to nap. Afterwards, Ursula and Tyra go to see the Visund, but then that visitor appears again.

grakh on parchment

The Voyage of the Visund

A tale of Anmar by Penny Lane

29 - At the Docks


Disclaimer: The original characters and plot of this story are the property of the author. No infringement of pre-existing copyright is intended. This story is copyright (c) 2020 Penny Lane. All rights reserved.



Those under the awning watched the activity happening maybe a hundred strides away while at the same time continuing to eat their lunch. If there were to be orders, then it made sense to ensure that you had finished your meal before some unexpected command made you leave whatever you were doing before.

Ursula, Tyra and Hulo did what everyone else was doing, while keeping an eye on the situation. The man in the carriage beckoned to one of the nearby workers who had finished his own lunch and gone back to work on the masonry. The mason shook his head and might have shrugged before pointing at the three refreshment awnings. The man looked around, indecisive, before ordering the footmen off the carriage, pointing towards the other awnings. One of them held the door open as the occupant stepped down.

Tyra asked in a low voice, "Do you think that it is you they seek, Mistress?"

"It is possible, if they have come from the Mansion."

She scowled. I get a day off and they will not leave me alone!

Nando leaned down towards her. "Mistress, do you want to be found?" There was a clear implication that alternatives might be possible. Some of those seated around her muttered what sounded like willingness to help. The implications of the suggestion and support by the others there said much about life at the docks, but Ursula had concerns of her own.

Maybe someone there needs a doctor?

She sighed. "Perhaps. If he has really come from the Mansion, then it might be because someone there needs my services." She raised her voice slightly. "Thank you for your support, everyone, it is appreciated, but it looks as if I will have to show myself."

She drained her mug and replaced it on the table before rising, Tyra getting up immediately beside her. The two walked out from their side of the awning to become visible across the hard-standing. The surmise was proved right when one of the outriders spotted the movement and shouted to the man, who increased his pace towards them.

When he got close enough she could see that it was Mathenar.

At least it isn't Luthan. If he had appeared here, there would likely be a full scale argument leading to a brawl.

Mathenar bowed when he reached her. "Mistress. I came looking for you once I heard that you had intended to come to the docks. This is not a safe place for a young woman like yourself."

Clown! The only person here who is not safe is you! I do not need your protection, not today.

"My Lord," she greeted him, "you are mistaken if you think that I am in danger. I am a healer doing my job and there are very few in the city who do not respect that."

"Still, a young woman - your pardon, two young women, surrounded by many men, surely you can see that something unfortunate might happen? I doubt not that they respect your abilities as a healer, but there are always one or two in a crowd -"

"My Lord," she interrupted him, "there may be one or two in a crowd but here today there are thirty of Her Highness's men who would come to my aid if anything should happen."

Most of those under the awning had now come out and gathered in a loose crowd around Mathenar, Ursula and Tyra. Mathenar glanced around and finally took notice of those who were Norsemen, readily identifiable by their tee-shirts and shorts if not by their beards.

He bowed again. "I ask your pardon, Mistress. It did not occur to me that the men of Princess Eriana would be here at the docks. I can see now that you and your maid are safe enough." He decided to shift arguments. "If I may ask, I assume that you have just eaten lunch at yonder booth? Was the food acceptable? You may return to the Mansion with me and Farren shall provide lunch appropriate for a guest of my father."

Ursula silently ground her teeth. Go away! "My Lord, the food here is both excellent and sufficient. I have no wish to eat any more."

"Then, having eaten," he persisted, "you will now desire to nap, I deem. If I may I escort you back to the Mansion, that you may rest secure in your chambers?"

Unexpectedly, Hulo now spoke up from beside Tyra. "If it please my lord, I am father to Tyra, Mistress Ursula's maid. My family lives just beyond the gate there and Mistress Ursula has already been invited to nap with us."

The pleasant smile on Mathenar's face vanished. "As you wish, Goodman." He addressed Ursula. "I see that your activities here have been well organized, Mistress. If I may call to collect you when you rise from your nap?"

Ursula's response was instinctive but polite. "My Lord, after we have taken our naps we have other activities planned." We haven't, but by the time he comes back we certainly will have! "Please tell those at the Mansion that we will be back in time to change for the evening meal."

Mathenar bowed again. "As you wish, Mistress." He turned slowly, studying the group of men around the trio, noticing the potential for violence in many of them - locals and Norse. "By your leave, then, I will return to the Mansion for my own rest, and to pass on your message. Good day to you, Mistress."

The group watched Mathenar stroll back to his carriage, only moving once he had climbed back in and had the door closed behind him. Then, as one, they all returned to the awning. The sun, not long after noon, was becoming very hot.

"Mistress," Nando asked, "did you mean what you said about the food? I can understand your desire to refuse Lord Mathenar's advances but..."

"Nando, I would not lie about a matter like that. Your food is excellent and I shall make sure that others know... but of course, most who come to the docks already know that."

Nando bowed. "Thank you, Mistress. I am honored to have served you, even for such a simple meal as I can provide."

Mathenar's advances? Was that what they were? Really?

I am used to the way Earth people behave - and how strange that simple sentence sounds to me now! Perhaps methods of courtship in Joth are more formal. I will have to keep my wits about me, then, and also to ask advice - but of whom?

She concentrated on the here and now. "Nando, if we come to the docks again you can be sure that we will give you our custom. Now, where is Tyra's father? Ah, Hulo. Thank you for offering us a place to come and lie down. Are you sure that we will be no trouble? I would not want to cause you or your family any problems."

"Mistress, it would be my honor to invite you to rest with us."

"Then I must accept and thank you for the invitation." She had a thought and looked around at the others, still standing around the tables. "What do the rest of you do? I don't think you'd want to carry on working in this heat."

Nando answered for them. "Mistress, once you have departed, and once these men have had sufficient to eat and drink, we will dismantle the tables and many will lie down on the ground in the shade. That is one reason my awning is so large. Others will go home, like Hulo, if their homes be near, or will find other shade around the docks or in the shadow of the city walls." He added, "Do not concern yourself, Mistress, we are used to such customs as this."

"Oh. Thank you. I am not used to places where everyone stops work after lunch to sleep."

"Mistress, we know you come from afar where customs may be different. In the heat of the day it is only natural to find shade and rest. I will tell you that we do not do this when the seasons turn. When it is cool enough in the day, all will work to make most of the shorter days."

"I see. Well, thank you again. Hulo, are you going now? Tyra?"

"If you would come with me, Mistress," Hulo requested. He led the way back towards the gateway, Tyra walking beside her mistress. As they reached the gate Ursula spotted Lars jogging in their direction from the other side of the hardstanding.

She pointed. "Wait."

The Norseman came to a stop, barely out of breath. «Mistress. I was detained or I would have come immediately. I assume that was the Duke's son?»

«It was. He thought that we were in some kind of danger here at the docks.»

Lars gave a snort of derision. «Soft Northerners! With us around you are safe here, Mistress.»

«Yes, I told him that. He persisted but we managed to get rid of him.» She gestured at Hulo. «This is Tyra's father Hulo. We are going to his house to take our naps. Will you still be around after we wake?»

«Of course, Mistress. There is much we can do to help in this place, we are here every day. It is not the work we would prefer, but it keeps us fit, keeps us busy and keeps the men out of mischief. Why do you ask?»

«I would like to see the Visund, if it is possible.»

Lars nodded. «It is possible, Mistress. Our ship is almost ready, she awaits only a crew and the command to leave.» He frowned. «Can I ask if you will be sailing with us, Mistress? I know the men will be pleased if you do, but I also know that you have many responsibilities now.»

«Lars, that decision has not yet been made. There is much to keep me in Joth but... something makes me uneasy, especially since those two sons returned.»

«I know what you mean, Mistress. The young one is only a fool but that one, the one who just left, I do not like him at all.»

She grimaced. «It is not just me, then? Thank you for telling me that, Lars. Now, I think, we had better go. It is too hot to be standing talking in the sun.»

Lars bowed. «We will await your return, Mistress.»

He thumped a hand to his chest and walked off to the nearby awning.

"You can speak the tongue of those men then, Mistress."

"Yes, Hulo, I can, though I cannot give you an explanation why. Tyra is picking up some of their words, but she'll have to do it the hard way."

"Aye. I know that some find it easier to pick up tongues while others struggle. Still, most in the Valley have no need for such knowledge. There are local differences but we mostly speak the same tongue from one end to the other."

Ursula, Hulo and Tyra resumed their journey back to Foti Lane. They climbed the end stairs and walked along the balcony, Ursula noting that all of the children that had been previously running about had disappeared. In fact, there was almost no-one around at all. When Hulo reached the appropriate dwelling he stood aside and bowed. The door was already wide open.

"If you would enter, Mistress."

Raysa appeared in the doorway. "Hulo? Oh, it is Mistress Ursula!"

Hulo explained, "Lord Mathenar came to the dock, seeking to entice the Mistress away, when we could all plainly see that she did not desire his attentions. Since she must needs nap as all seek to do, I thought to offer her sanctuary here away from the Duke's son, who has now returned to the Mansion in his carriage."

"Of course!" Raysa smiled at Ursula and stood back, gesturing. "If you would enter, Mistress. There will be plenty of room for all, though I regret your resting place here may not be as soft as that at the Mansion."

Inside it was dark and cool, the heat being kept out by the overhang of the roof. Both front and rear doors were open, allowing a slight draft to pass through. One of the daughters was visible at the rear, folding some linen. Ursula could not think where the rest of the children were until she heard a noise from above.

"Mistress," Raysa said, "I would not ask you to go upstairs since the children will keep you awake. I will find you a blanket that you may lie down in here, it will be more peaceful."

Hulo told his wife, "Raysa, Tyra and I will stay down here also. It would only be polite to keep her company and, I deem, if any should come and find her sleeping here -"

"As you say, Hulo." Raysa considered. "I will go upstairs and mind the children, then, while you remain below. Tyra, if you would come and collect some blankets for you all to lie on."

"Yes, Ma... Oh!" Tyra turned and glanced at Ursula. "Ma, I am the personal maid of Mistress Ursula now, you should not command me."

"Oh!" Raysa put a hand to her mouth. "Mistress, I ask your pardon. The habits of many years have betrayed me."

Ursula smiled. "It is no problem, Raysa. As I said when we met before, all this is new to all of us. Besides, the bedding has to be brought down somehow. Tyra, you can go upstairs with your mother."

"As you desire, Mistress."

Raysa turned. "Hursa, attend! Have you finished with those sheets?"

"Almost, Ma."

"Then finish and follow us upstairs, please. The Mistress and Tyra will nap here today, downstairs, with your father, and bedding needs to be brought."

"Just coming, Ma."

In a very short while Raysa, Tyra and Hursa appeared with armfuls of bedding which they arranged on the floor in the middle of the room.

Hulo said, "Mistress, I regret that such a poor family as ours has little to offer one such as yourself. I hope that you will be comfortable enough."

"Hulo, I'm not a noble or anything like that. In fact, although I grew up in a city much bigger than Joth, I am the... child of ordinary folk very like yourselves. I have experienced hard times when I was much younger. I do not expect anything special and I am always surprised when it is offered to me."

I nearly said 'son'. That would have required more of an explanation than I want to give right now.

Right now I could do with a nap!

She picked one of the rectangles of bedding laid out on the floor and composed herself on it. Father and daughter stared at her then followed suit. Raysa put a finger to her lips and led Hursa upstairs.

* * *

She was awakened by the sound of water coming to the boil. Raising herself on one elbow, she looked around in the dim room. The sun had moved around enough that a sliver of light now entered via the open back door, to cast a bright bar onto wall and floor. Tyra was still asleep but the third pad was empty.

Sitting up she turned to see Raysa at the stove, preparing pel for when the family awoke. Raysa turned and saw Ursula, giving a quick wave as if to say, there is no hurry. Beside her, Tyra was now beginning to stir. Her mother poured water from the kettle into a pot and then refilled the kettle from a jug, setting it back on the stove.

"Uh. Mistress, you're awake."

Ursula turned with a smile. "It would seem so. I must admit that I was more comfortable than I expected."

Tyra waved a hand. "It has been difficult, ever since we returned to our house. As you may have noticed we have little furniture left and few other belongings."

"I wondered. Is life in the city that hard for your family?"

Raysa came over with two mugs. "Mistress, it is not so. Hulo is a good enough fisherman that he earns sufficient to feed and clothe us all. You should know that when the invader came, they used all the houses in Foti Lane as barracks and burned all the furniture for fuel. That is why there is almost nothing left in any of our houses. Much of the city was treated the same way."

"Oh. I am sorry to hear that." Ursula hesitated. "Where I was born, there was a great war many years ago. Much was destroyed then by the invader or by our own people trying to keep warm in our harsh winters. It took many years for us to recover. I hope that it will not take so long here. Will you have new furniture made?"

"In time, Mistress. Our woodworkers have been busy since they returned and no doubt our turn will come for new goods."

Ursula sighed. "It is often the way. Those with money will get their replacements first and the common folk have to wait."

"Mistress, I do not begrudge His Grace his new Mansion, at least Foti Lane was not burned to the ground! If I may tell you, our craftsmen fairly apportion the work, some to those with coin, other items to those more needy. We of Joth are one people, we will look after ourselves as we have done in years past."

"I am sorry if I mis-spoke, Raysa. Thank you for the pel. It is kind of habit-forming, isn't it?"

"Indeed! Much of the Great Valley would fall apart were it not for frequent supplies of pel. It is our fortune that the herbs needed grow so freely along the edge of the Sirrel."

"I have learned that the Great Valley is very fertile. You are all lucky to be living along here."

"I would agree, if it were not for those of Yod. Most of the rest of the lands are said to rub along much better, as any neighbors might. Now, while you drink, will you tell me what you intend to do this afternoon?"

"I'm not sure. Tyra? What is there to see around the docks?"

"Mistress, I would very much like to see the ship of Her Highness. I am familiar with most kinds of vessel that travel the Sirrel but I have heard that the Visund is of a different kind."

"You have not seen it?"

"Mistress, I was already employed at the Mansion when it - and you - arrived. I have not had a chance to go to the docks since, my family have taken much of my attention whenever I have been at ease."

"I have already spoken to Lars, since I wanted to have a look at it as well. What else might we look at?"

Tyra shrugged. "It is a dockside, Mistress. If it should be like other docks you have visited I would not know. At this time of day few will be fishing but many, including my father, will be making their boats and gear ready for the evening session. There will be other craft there, I suppose, larger boats, bringing fresh produce and materials and taking away what Joth can produce. Oh, and I can show you the fish market, though of course there will not be much going on there at the moment."

Ursula nodded. "It will be enough. I just wanted to see what was around, in case I was ever called to attend somebody over here."

"As you say, Mistress. I had forgotten that you might have a professional reason to come this way."

After their drinks the two took their leave and walked back through the gate to the hardstanding.

Tyra gestured. "To the left, under the wall, is where many of the fishermen keep their boats. See! There is my father. If we may visit him first, Mistress?"

"Of course."

There were about thirty boats of a similar design laid up in several rows under the wall. The area was alive with fishermen checking nets and pots, making sure rigging was secure and generally making ready for the evening's fishing. Hulo saw them and waved. They threaded their way through the craft, Tyra greeting many of the men as they passed.

Hulo's boat was typical of most. About four strides long, built of smooth planks fixed to heavy internal ribbing with a blunt pointed bow and a squared-off stern. There was a single mast, about two-thirds of the way forward, with a long slanting spar on it carrying a rolled-up sail. The paint was faded, chipped and worn and may originally have been green. Hulo sat inside at the bow, splicing two ropes together.

"Mistress, daughter, welcome. This is my humble craft. Are there boats like this in your own lands, Mistress?"

"Probably. I lived near the junction of two rivers but, being a city person, had little to do with water craft. My interests were elsewhere."

"Aye, Mistress. Tyra has told me of your great healing knowledge... and I also know of your knowledge of musical instruments."

Now how did that get around? Only Senia was with me when I visited Putto in his workshop.

"Musical instruments?" She tried to make it not sound like an accusation.

"Ah, perhaps I betray a confidence, Mistress. Hadro, one of my brothers, supplies materials to Joth's craftsmen and recently took some to Putto Turner. Putto spoke of your visit and your interest. Hadro knew that Tyra had become your maid and mentioned the connection to me the day before yesterday. I trust you will forgive me?"

Ursula shook her head. "There is nothing to forgive, Hulo, since nothing was said in confidence. I am always amazed at how fast information travels around this city."

"Mistress, as a Healer you will be privy to all manner of information about your patients and all know that whatever is said should not be voiced to others. It is true Hadro made an innocent remark but I will remind him to be more careful in future."

"In this case the information was about me, not a patient, but I accept your point. Yes, I learned to play a few different musical instruments in my younger days, before I became a healer. I noticed that Putto had some in his workshop and he was gracious enough to let me try one or two." A wry smile. "I did not notice then, but I came away with varnish on my dress, do you remember, Tyra?"

"I do, Mistress! That was the day you visited Putto? Of course, we met in the street that day, the day her Grace decided that you had need of a proper personal maid."

Ursula spotted some fishermen approaching at the same time as Tyra saw Lars walking across the hardstanding.

"It looks as if I am about to get in the way, Hulo. Your business is more important than mine today, we will leave you to your friends."

"Mistress, Commander Lars approaches."

Ursula turned. "So he does. Come, Tyra. Hulo, no doubt we will meet again."

Hulo stood in his boat and bowed. "You are welcome any time, Mistress."

Lars met them just beyond the fishing boats. "Mistress, if you want to see the Visund, then follow me."

The dock proper consisted of four long brick jetties which stuck out into the basin which formed Joth's harbor. Between the jetties the hardstanding smoothly sloped down into slipways which traveled a long way beyond the extent of the brickwork into the river. On each side of each jetty a series of pontoons was moored which also stretched out into the water, kept in place by long poles either side. Most of the larger craft were tied up to one of these pontoons, with porters pushing handcarts laden with sacks back up towards the hardstanding.

Lars led them across to the other side, where two city armsmen guarded the end jetty and the pontoons either side of it. As he approached they saluted.

"Commander. I have heard no call for a healer."

"This is social visit. Mistress Ursula and her maid have come to see Visund."

"As you say. There is nothing to report, Sir. All has been quiet today, with the exception of that visitor before lunch."

"Visitor is Duke's son, older one. What do you know of him?"

The armsman who had spoken looked shifty. "Sir, I must not speak ill of my betters. Mathenar is better than his brother, at any rate. He might even make a good Duke when his time comes."

Lars nodded. "I hear what you do not say, friend. That is puzzle for another time. Today, I take Mistress to Visund."

The three walked over to the far pontoon and climbed the ramp onto it. At this time of year most of the floats that lay alongside the jetty were above the water level. At intervals, very long poles on the outside ensured that the pontoons would remain where they were, should they ever float. Ursula looked up at them, noting an avian perched on the top of one.

"Why are these poles so long?"

"I do not know, Mistress," Lars replied. "It was the same at every place we called. Do you not remember?"

"I do, but not very well."

"Mistress," Tyra said, "when the river rises, during the rains, these floats can rise up right to the top of the poles. See that bar which keeps the poles together? I remember, two years back, that I could step over that bar, the water level was so high."

Ursula and Lars stopped and turned to Tyra, expressions of incredulity evident on both faces.

"The river can rise that high? How?"

"The rains, Mistress. Oh, of course you would not know." The three resumed walking. "Some time after the hottest part of the year it will start to rain and not stop for two months. During that time the river rises greatly and much of the land is covered with water. There is so much rain that few will dare to go out in it, even inside the city, for fear of getting lost. Certainly none would venture onto the river then."

"It can rain that much?" Tyra nodded. "And for that long? A monsoon, then, that is what we would call it where I came from. It looks as if I will need to take some precautions, then."

"Indeed, Mistress. There are waterproofs you will need, and boots, and so on. Fortunately I do not think there will be any difficulty providing for you, all Joth is used to the rains."

Lars said tensely, "But all Einnland is not. I do not know how what you speak of will affect journey of Visund. We do not have rains, not like that. Storms on ocean we know. Raining for months... ah, now I know why awning was made."

Ursula switched languages as they walked past two galleys, their oars now withdrawn into the hull.

«Lars, do you think Her Highness understands the problem?»

«I am not sure, Mistress. She will have been told when the extra decking was added at Dekarran but I think she will not understand until she sees it happen.»

«I have to agree. Where do you think you will be when it happens?»

Lars shrugged. «Mistress, these lands are strange to all of us, even to you. I do not know what she intends or where we will be when this raining happens. Here is our ship.»

The last ship on that side of the pontoon, beyond the galleys, was the Visund. It looked strange to Ursula's eyes, since the mast had been taken down and the awning put up, shading most of the contents from the hot sun. Tor Ander's son and Eirik climbed out onto the pontoon as the party approached.

"Greetings, Mistress Ursula! Welcome to the ship. Do you want to come aboard?"

"Yes, please. Ah, this is Tyra, my new maid, I don't know if you have met her yet."

Tor nodded to Tyra. "We have heard of you but most have not met you until today. Welcome aboard." He gestured. "I am Tor Ander's son and this is Eirik, we are minding the ship today."

Ursula asked Tor, «Why the awning? I thought that it was meant for the rains.»

«Mistress, you will know that our ship has no deck like most that sail the river. It was suggested that, as we are not going anywhere, an awning would be good to keep the sun off our gear.»

Lars added, «Mistress, you should know that, usually, a ship like ours spends most of its time in the water. If the wood is allowed to dry out it will split and warp and cause weaknesses and leaks. So we try and keep the direct sun off the wood and we also wet down the woodwork from time to time.»

She nodded. «I understand. Thank you for explaining, Lars, Tor.»

Everybody climbed down into the hull. It was a little cooler there. Ursula could now see that the mast reached the entire length of the ship and was supported at both ends and in the middle. Over this was stretched a canvas awning, the sides held out by battens which in turn were supported by smaller struts which were slotted into brass brackets fixed to the hull. There was enough room for all but the tallest man to stand in the hull without touching the canvas, but of course most would have to duck as they climbed over benches and cargo.

"It seems bigger than I remember."

Tor scratched his head. "Aye Mistress, it does seem that way." He grinned. "Not so big when full of men, though!"

Tyra's eyes were alight. She turned to Lars. "If I may look around?"

He gestured. "Have a look, Mistress. Careful where you put feet."

Tyra received a nod from Ursula and scampered off. Lars watched her closely.

«Her father is a fisherman?»

«Yes. Oh! That probably means that she is used to boats, although probably nothing as big as this one.»

Lars sniffed. «Mistress, Visund is not a boat, she is ship, but I understand you. Of course, a boat on the river will be different than a ship on the ocean but she looks sure-footed enough.»

«So she should be. You do know that she is training to be a swordswoman?»

«Yes. She is fit enough and smart enough and she listens to Master of Arms. Mistress, you gather good people around you.»

Ursula did not know what to say about that so just watched Tyra as she reached the far end, peering under the poop deck before climbing onto it for a moment. They watched her legs as she leaned out over the water and then as she climbed back down into the hull again.

«I thought that there was more stuff in here,» Ursula said, gesturing at the space along the centerline.

Lars shrugged. «Chests of Captain and companions taken to Mansion, bags of crew taken to lodgings. Oars, sails and most ropes taken to a safe warehouse nearby, away from sun and thieves. A little food left here for watchmen but there is not much else. It will not take long to load it up again.»

Tyra returned, a big smile all over her face. "I like this ship! I think it might be the biggest one I have ever been on." She frowned, looking at her feet. "The planks are different. Not smooth like Pa's boat."

Ursula explained, "This is just a different style of boat design, Tyra, about which I know nothing at all, but it is common enough where I came from."

"As you say." Tyra leaned out over the edge of the hull, looking at the outside. "There are nails. Do they not let the water in? Pa has trouble stopping leaks all the time."

"I don't know the exact method but nailing the planks together that way seems to work and to keep out most of the water."

Tor added, "Mistress, nails put in when they are hot, then hammered flat. When they cool, pull planks together tight, keep out water."

"Ohhh. I think I see." Tyra looked up. "So, how do you raise the sail when this awning is here?"

Tor replied, "Awning is new addition to ship, Mistress, since we arrived on river. Normally hull is open, everyone can see water, see dangers in river, see enemies approach in any direction."

Tyra's nose wrinkled. "So you all just sit in here, on those seats, and sail like that, with no shade? Don't you -"

Lars interrupted. "Visitor comes. Again." He gestured along the pontoon string where several men could be seen approaching.

Mathenar! Why is he so persistent?

The Duke's elder son reached the Visund and ducked his head so that everyone on board could see his face.

"Greetings, all. I was told that Mistress Ursula intended visiting the ship today and it reminded me that I had not seen it properly myself. If I may come aboard?"

Lars's face was impassive as he beckoned. "Come aboard, My Lord."

Mathenar and two aides, one an officer, climbed down into the hull. He put out a hand to Lars.

"I do not recognize your rank, sir." The smile was genuine. "However, I have been among many armies where the rank badges are all different."

"I am Lars, Commander of Princess Eriana's men," Lars replied shortly, ignoring the hand. "Here is Tor Ander's son, one of her ship's crew and here is -"

Mathenar bowed. "Mistress Ursula, we have already met."

"Yes, we have."

Unsettled by the blunt responses, Mathenar turned to study the interior of the ship.

"This is the biggest ship I have yet seen on the river," he said. "Though I am sure that some of the barges can carry more goods. It seems very shallow... flat bottomed. Do you just row, as the war galleys do? I see holes for oars but no oars."

Lars reached up a hand and rested it on the long wooden cylinder near his head.

"Here is mast. We do not sail with awning, it is used in dock to keep sun off wood. Sometimes wind blows in right direction, sometimes men row."

"Ah, I see. So, how many men can it carry?"

"More than thirty on river. When we came from Einnland, many more, maybe fifty. Some lost overboard during storm."

The Count grimaced. "I am sorry to hear that, Commander. Einnland? I do not know that land."

"It is out beyond end of river, where river becomes ocean. Many days sailing to south, to colder lands, come to Einnland."

"Ocean? But that is just a tale, surely. Does not the river just go on, into other lands?"

Ursula could see that Lars was becoming annoyed so she intervened. She realized that Mathenar had never been downriver far enough to know what an ocean looked like. He probably considered it just traveler's tales.

"My Lord, the river cannot go on for ever, there must be an end. The ocean is a great expanse of water which all rivers eventually empty into. It is so wide that you cannot see the other side. It would take you weeks of sailing to reach the other side."

He stared at her. "You have knowledge of this?"

She thought carefully about her reply. "I have crossed an ocean like the one at the end of the Sirrel so I do have some knowledge of this. Commander Lars has traveled beyond the end of the Sirrel so you should not insult him by doubting his word."

His face stiffened. "My apologies, Mistress, and my apologies to you, Commander. What lies at the end of the Great Valley is a mystery to most who live upstream and so I cannot tell what may be truth and what may be just a tale." He looked around again. "So this ship has sailed beyond the end of the Sirrel with a crew of fifty men? Amazing."

Lars opened his mouth to respond but Tor said, "Look! Captain comes."

There along the pontoons Eriana came striding, her face like thunder. Unusually, though she was dressed for riding, she did not have her sword slung across her back. Behind her Bennet and Semma struggled to keep up. As Eriana approached she slowed down and her expression smoothed.

"Lord Mathenar," she said as she reached the Visund, "do you visit my ship?"

He bowed. "Your Highness, I do. I heard word that Mistress Ursula intended to visit your ship today and it reminded me that I also wished to see what manner of craft it was." He frowned. "I trust that this is permissible? I have to say, it is a fine ship, the largest I have seen, but there is not very much to see."

With a light hand on the awning she dropped smoothly into the hull. Bennet and Semma stayed on the pontoon awaiting developments.

"Do you like what you see? It is not as the other ships we have seen on the river."

"It is strange to my eyes, Highness, but I have no doubt that it is well made for the intended purpose."

"Intended purpose? What mean you?"

Mathenar spread his hands. "Fifty men, many oars, I see now that it must be intended as our galleys are, as a vessel of war, though perhaps crewed by free men instead of criminals or slaves."

Eriana visibly calmed herself down before she replied. "My Lord, the ships of Einnland are indeed used on occasion for war, but know you that they are used for many other reasons on the ocean which we call home. We fish, we carry cargo, we transport men, women and children from place to place, sometimes we even use them to fight in.

"We carried not fifty men when we came to the shores of Plif, My Lord. Among our number were the Visund's original owner and his family, together with a small number of other women, my maids among them. We suffered several fierce storms during which many were washed overboard, men and women, and lost. To find a friendly shore we were all forced to row and to bale, the sail having been destroyed by the gale."

Mathenar was surprised. "Highness, I did not know. I grieve for your lost countrymen... and women. So many storms? How long did your journey take?"

"From Einnland to Plif? Some days. I do not recall the number. Lars? Tor? Do you know how long it took us?"

Both shook their heads. Tor said, "Captain, I remember three dawnings but there might have been more. If you recall, we were somewhat busy then."

"Aye, somewhat!" Eriana turned to Mathenar. "Does that answer you, My Lord?"

"It does, Highness. The design of your ship looks strange to my eyes, as I said, but it is obviously well made. I notice that it does not have a deck, apart from the small sections at either end."

"Ah, they were added, upon King Robanar's advice, at Dekarran. Normally our ships have no need for any deck, and indeed it would be unusual for any of our craft to have them, since suitable wood is difficult to find in Einnland. A plain hull is sufficient and has been so for some thousand years."

Mathenar nodded. "I understand, Highness. To make ships which can journey so far, when you have little wood available, that is amazing to me. Shall you return to... Einnland... when your visit is finished?"

This last question annoyed Eriana. "My Lord, I explained to you some days ago the circumstances under which my crew and I departed Einnland. Having been given refuge by Palarand, we are now accounted subjects of Robanar and intend to remain so the rest of our days. When we return to Palarand I will take up an appointment as the head of a military service new to the Great Valley, that of leader of the new Federation Navy. You were also informed about that."

"Highness, forgive me. You are of course correct. You must understand that my brother and I have been away at war for some time and return to discover that much has changed in Joth as it has in the rest of the Valley. Aye, my father did explain the Federation to me but I must confess that I must have missed your part in it."

He paused. "What, if I may ask, is a Navy?"

"My Lord, it will be a special force of military ships, designed to keep the coasts and rivers of the Federation safe. Part will be river craft, like those galleys yonder. Indeed, I believe that once we are established your father will make gift of those galleys to the Navy. Another part will be craft more like this one, suitable for the open ocean, and part will be new ships designed for mapping and exploration, since the Federation desires to know what manner of world we live in and the people who live here with us."

Mathenar raised an eyebrow. "You plan exploration? I am surprised that any is needed."

"My Lord -" Eriana stopped, frustrated. She tried again. "My Lord, since Princess Garia came to our world we have learned that much of what we thought about Anmar is not so. The reality is even more interesting to those who study such matters. I can assure you that exploration and accurate chart making has now become essential if we are to understand our world better."

"Princess Garia? Of course I have heard much about her, but surely -"

Bennet put a hand on the awning and leaned down. "Highness, I believe that I have just heard the eighth bell and a half."

Eriana simmered. "As you say, Bennet." She turned. "My Lord, this is a subject better discussed in the Mansion, I deem. It is time for us ladies to return there in any event to make ourselves ready for the evening meal. Shall you return as well?"

"Why, of course, Highness! I was just about to suggest that very thing."

Ursula thought, I wonder if Anmar has flying pigs?

No. There are strange creatures here but none of those, I suspect. This one merely has the gift of a smooth talker, assuming that who he talks to is of a lower class, or stupid enough.

He continued, "If I may offer the use of my carriage, which is above at the dock."

She glared at him. "My carriage is there also. Ursula? I believe that you walked through the city today. Shall you ride back with us?"

Offered a choice like that, Ursula could only respond one way and she put her time in the Russian army to good use. She bobbed. "At your command, Highness."

"Then it is settled. Have we seen all that we wish to here? Ursula?"

"Now that I have seen it again, properly, Highness, I am very impressed."

Eriana smiled warmly. "She is a good ship that has so far made an amazing journey, far beyond the shores of lands known to Einnland. She will not fail us." The face smoothed out and she turned to Mathenar. "My Lord?"

"Aye. If I have more questions, now that I have seen your ship, I can ask them at home."

"Then let us go. Girls? Lead the way. Ursula, do you need help climbing out? No?"

The procession made its way back to the dock hardstanding, where two carriages stood waiting. Eriana's broadsword had been laid on the floor of her carriage, protected by the driver. As she climbed in she lifted it up and propped it against her seat.

"Ursula. If you would sit beside me. Tyra? Have you the art of traveling in the groom's seats?"

"I have not, Highness. I have only been in a carriage twice before."

"Then you must needs sit facing us. Bennet, Semma, if you would sit behind."

"Aye, Highness."

Ursula watched as Mathenar gestured his men into his carriage and then climbed in after them. Without a glance in their direction, he spoke to his driver and their carriage moved off immediately.

"Highness, it will not be easy to ride back here attired as we are."

Eriana was diverted from her glare at the disappearing carriage.

"Oh! Of course." She thought. "Bennet, if you would sit beside the driver. Semma, join us."

Semma climbed in, closing the door after her, before sitting beside Tyra. Once Bennet had made herself comfortable beside the driver he turned his head and Eriana nodded to him. The carriage moved off across the cobbles towards one of the dock gates.

Ursula glanced at Tyra and saw an expression of alarm, almost fear, upon the girl's face. Turning, she saw that Eriana was in a boiling fury. The sword, in its scabbard, was propped on the floor and held tightly by a hand which was almost white. Without thinking she rested her hand on Eriana's arm to calm her.

"Highness, please. You are upsetting yourself over something of little consequence."

Eriana started, then looked down at Ursula's hand, which was promptly withdrawn.

Semma said, "Highness, it is true. He has been away, he does not know us, he does not know what has been happening in Joth. He is one of the old style of nobility, I deem, who pays little attention to what is happening in the world."

Eriana closed her eyes and visibly forced herself to relax. As the carriage passed through the gate she opened them and smiled at Semma.

"Aye. You are right, I should not subject any of you to my anger when it is directed at another." She turned and smiled at Ursula. "It seems that you may be a healer of minds as well as of bodies, Ursula. I thank you for your concern."

As the carriage rattled through the streets the tension eased and Eriana even waved to several of those they passed by who recognized her. By the time they pulled into the front courtyard it was as if nothing much had happened. As they climbed down, however, to allow the carriage to be unharnessed and put away, she gathered the women together in the courtyard.

"Ursula, I am concerned. Think you that Lord Mathenar pursues you?"

"Pursues me? What do you -" Ursula was briefly confused by the term. "Oh, do you mean romantically? That never occurred to me. I have no idea, Highness."

"There have been words spoken of his reasons for returning to Joth, words that I do not understand. The customs of Joth, indeed of any part of the Valley, are not familiar to one like myself who comes from afar."

She paused, trying to find a way to explain. It was Bennet who thought of a possible answer.

"Highness, is it that you think Lord Mathenar follows women around, when they do not desire his attentions? I have heard some of the rumors, that is what they suggested to me but I could hardly believe it then. Now, I am not so sure."

"Aye! That is what I mean. Is it something considered acceptable in these parts?"

"Not at all, Highness. In Palarand we call it 'The Courting Sickness' and it can last long after any romantic feeling has faded, if indeed there was ever any to start with. You should know that it can affect women as well as men. I may not speak for Joth but in Palarand the King has even been forced to exile several who would not cease their attentions upon some poor woman."

"Do you tell me? Think you that Mathenar is of that ilk?"

"Highness, I would not like to say. If he is to be the next Duke of Joth -"

Bennet left the thought hanging. Eriana nodded grimly.

"Aye. He may become another different than Jarwin, perhaps, but just as noxious."

Ursula noted, "But you are shortly departing, Highness. It will not be your concern for much longer."

"We are leaving, Ursula, it is true, but you are not. How shall you manage this menace, if menace he be?"

Ursula grimaced. She had overlooked the personal aspects of the situation.

"Highness, we have a week or so to watch Lord Mathenar's behavior and to tell His Grace about it, if that is what needs to happen. I would not condemn someone for a couple of clumsy meetings that I did not even recognize for what they were. Let us see what he does in future."

"Aye, well spoken, Ursula. Let us go in now and prepare ourselves for the evening meal. We will all have opportunities to watch and to see what he might do next."

* * *

As the women all entered the dining room attired in evening gowns Mathenar approached them and bowed low.

"Highness, ladies, if I may offer my apologies. I regret that living in a field tent for some months has roughened my manners. If I did anything today which has upset any of you, then I would ask you to accept my apologies. It shall not happen again."

Eriana was surprised. "My Lord, it is true that some of your activities and actions today may have caused some minor distress but we understand. You will know that all of us come from distant lands and are unfamiliar with local customs. Your apologies are accepted."

"Then, if I may show you to your seats. My father and mother are already here, we but waited for you before we can begin."

"Of course."

Ursula kept her expression carefully plain but her mind was analysing Mathenar.

What is he? Maybe just enthusiast. He has been in army camp some months, I know what soldiers can be like.

Then he comes home and lots of new talent to investigate. Eriana? Who knows. Bennet or Semma? Maybe. Tyra? New maid, easy meat. I will have to warn her. Me? Possible. Likely.

Perhaps something more? Maybe he looks for next Duchess?

Me, a Duchess? Is possible, but not if he is Duke. I would kill one of us for certain.

Perhaps something else? Maybe obsession?

Let us see what future brings!



up
177 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Another chapter, finally

I thought that I would be quicker doing this one but of course Real Life has had its evil way.

I have had network problems requiring the rebuild of a number of boxes... some, several times. Add to that the virus thingy and general indifferent health and my opportunities for writing have not been as great as desired.

Still, we continue on as best we can. For the information of readers, I am, as they put it here, "sheltering in place" since I have sufficient wrong with me that I'd be on a ventilator within 24 hours of getting the bug. You'd think that would give me more time but it doesn't really work that way.

Anyhoo, I won't bother you with my problems but to say that affairs are progressing and that the Visund will soon depart from Joth.

Penny

Ursula & Tyra

...but to say that affairs are progressing and that the Visund will soon depart from Joth.

"We are leaving, Ursula, it is true, but you are not. How shall you manage this menace, if menace he be?"

A ship can always use a surgeon on board, but has the Duke and Eriana been discussing Ursula's future without her. With unwanted attention coming her way, maybe she would prefer to travel onward with the Visund? Tyra seems quite taken with the Visund as well.

Hints

I think there have been hints that Ursula would stay when The Visund left, but does this change things?

Hints

There are still other options Ursula should explore while she has a chance.

There is no reason why she should choose Joth just because it is the first choice offered to her.

She has not seen Palarand and have not really talked it over with other transferee, Garia.

She should literally explore her options.

As for training, Mathenar’s ignorance may benefit from being a crew member on Visund (and not as a pampered noble) on their explorations.

Ursula has gained insight into Joth and she is obviously needed there but Palarand is likely just as medically ignorant so needs her no less and frankly have better resources to support her.

Perhaps, one option is to

Perhaps, one option is to stay for now to set up the clinic and go with the Visund on its return trip, arguably though, the fact that this series is titled "Voyage of the Visund" AND Ursula has become a major character means she probably will stay with the ship, of course what is probably the best place for her is as chief medical officer of the Navy,

Clinic

A valid option if she had the time to do it. Between training and logistical complexities of organizing a modern facility it will tie her down a very long time, at least a year I think, as she is starting from practically nothing.

This is far more complex than Garia training the military in unarmed combat which took comparatively less time.

I don’t know how long Visund is supposed to explore.

Thank you for another episode

Enjoying this, as ever.

And the appendices have all been updated!

Joolz

Maybe two young nobles...

Maybe two young nobles need to attend Gil & Rob's finishing school for future leaders? After all, Eriana's brother benefited from it.

Yes, and Mathenar in

Yes, and Mathenar in particular needs his horizons broadened. Proper exploration and cartography even to known locations is important to trade and defense, spring governed clocks will reduce much of the guesswork in navigation and barometers will help make it much safer by providing some warning against storms. With steam engines and steel enabling larger, faster ships, now is a very good time to explore properly, exploring past their continent can wait until they have developed vaccination, that is something that Garia and the other transferees probably don't want to repeat from Earth's history... I am certain that the exposition on the tech from Palarand will help but even so...

Lord Mathenar

Wendy Jean's picture

may not survive his current obsession, he has already created a line of people who may make it so.

Already made a name for herself

Jamie Lee's picture

Mamoot and others, treated by Ursula, helped Ursula already make a name for herself. And by the reaction of those in the tent awning to Mathenar, one who will be protected by a lot of men.

Mathenar is acting like some love sick puppy, and is becoming quite a nuisance. He almost seems to want time with Ursula, maybe wanting to put tab 'A' into slot 'B'. If that 's the case he might find someone willing to remove tab 'A' if the owner of slot 'B' objects to such action.

Maybe Ursula quit acting so Jothian and tell Mathemar to bugger off.

Others have feelings too.