The Voyage of the Visund -22-

Printer-friendly version

Ursula is forced to rest for a few days until her body recovers. As she does so, she contemplates what has changed since she arrived on Anmar. She finds time to speak to Duban about medical instruments, learn the local letters and discuss porcelain bathroom fixtures!

grakh on parch full_0.png

The Voyage of the Visund

A tale of Anmar by Penny Lane

22 - Kicking Her Heels


Disclaimer: The original characters and plot of this story are the property of the author. No infringement of pre-existing copyright is intended. This story is copyright (c) 2019 Penny Lane. All rights reserved.



Fanis came to Ursula when she entered the dining room with Bennet the following morning.

"My dear, good morning to you. How do you feel today?"

Ursula tried a reassuring smile, but was not sure that it worked. "Your Grace, so far as the physical function you refer to, everything seems to be happening as it should. It did not trouble my sleep and the effects were easily cleaned up in the bath." She paused, trying to find a way to explain. "The effects on my mind seem to be greater. I feel... so helpless, somehow, in a way that I have not experienced before."

"Shall you come and sit at the table? Wallesan knows what afflicts you, he will grant you leave."

"As he did once before? If you insist, Your Grace."

The two found seats at the table. Glances were cast at them by the others who had gathered for breakfast, but many knew the reason and explained to the others. Bennet took station behind Ursula.

"If you would explain what you mean, dear."

"Your Grace," she lowered her voice, "you have been told that, while I was physically a man on Earth, I have always thought of myself as a woman."

"You have, Ursula, and I have struggled to understand it, though Senia tells me there are others like you here in Joth." Fanis added perceptively, "But now you have the body of a woman, and it is different than what you expected."

"I would say that the reality is different than what I imagined it to be. On Earth, as I moved from place to place, there were times that I dressed and acted as any other woman would, to avoid being discovered. I thought that was the life I wanted, and I accepted it, but what I am experiencing here is somehow different."

"And Kalikan tells you so, I deem. But is this not what you wanted? To be a whole woman, as we spoke of, able to bear children?"

"Of course! But I do not feel that I can live my life in the same way that I tried to on Earth, even with a true female body. I feel... helpless, somehow. Something is missing."

"Have you yet spoken to any about this? Maralin, for example? For he should know what the differences might be between man and woman, if anybody should."

"I have not, Your Grace. There has not been time for all the consequences to appear in my thoughts. I think that I would like to wait until it is all over, see if this is just something that is brought on by the Call."

"As you wish, dear. I know that Calls may affect some women such that they become emotional, or forgetful, or angry, or tired, or many other things, but for a few days only. If you desire to consider what has changed in your circumstances since arriving here, then it would be well to do so with a clear head, I deem."

Ursula nodded. "I agree, Your Grace."

"If I may ask," Fanis continued, "you do not wear a ship dress today but a day gown. Is it that you find the gown more comfortable? I know that for many the Call means that breasts or other parts of the body can swell for a few days."

Ursula colored. "Partly that, Your Grace, but partly because I'm wearing a panty with ties at the side and the knots show through the material of a ship dress."

"Oh!" Fanis was surprised. "I had not thought of that! Mayhap Maralin or our clever seamstresses may think of something that is less noticeable, dear. Is it not the same on Earth? How do women there manage?"

"We do not have anything there like these panties, Your Grace. The nearest I can think of would be a special panty women sometimes wear when they go swimming. Of course, those are designed to be seen and you wouldn't normally wear them under a dress... or gown."

"When they go swimming?" The eyes of the Duchess lit up. "I never heard of such a thing! You must tell me more... but not now, it would not be appropriate. Later perhaps?"

Ursula tried not to roll her eyes. "As you wish, Your Grace."

Any further embarrassing conversation was ended when Eriana and Semma entered the dining room. Both came immediately to join Fanis and Ursula, though neither sat down.

"Good... morning, Fanis," said Eriana, remembering the correct greeting just in time. "Good morning, Ursula. If I may ask, how are you today? I see that you are seated, does your Call cause you much discomfort this morning?"

"Good morning, Your Highness," Ursula replied. Fanis looked on with a certain level of amusement, but nodded her greeting to Eriana. Ursula added, "I have a slight headache, that is all, and Bennet tells me that everything is happening as it should. There is no other discomfort so far."

"I am relieved to hear that. You will already know, I deem, that experiences can vary considerably among women, you would have my sympathy had you fared worse."

"Eriana," Fanis put in, "remember that this is but Ursula's first, she has a long way to go until her body settles down. It is as if she is but a girl taking her first steps into womanhood but already having the body of a woman."

"Ah, Fanis, I understand that of course. Ursula, I tell you that no-one will fault you for taking things easy for a day or two. If there are urgent tasks you require done, then you may command us and those of my crew."

"Thank you, Highness. I must admit that I am not used to being looked after like this."

"We are women and our needs are particular, we must needs help each other when we can," Eriana stated. "Is that not so, Fanis?"

"Indeed," Fanis agreed. "Ursula, you should rest easy today and let those of us who can do things assist you."

"Thank you, Your Grace." Ursula thought. "There is one matter I would like advice on but it can wait until after breakfast."

"As you wish, dear," Fanis said. "And here are Wallesan, Hambran and Maralin. Oh! It looks as if something has happened."

The three men were discussing something as they came through the door but stopped as everyone bowed or curtseyed to the Duke. Fanis put her hand on Ursula's arm to prevent her standing. The Duke came over to join them and bent to kiss Fanis.

"I am sorry, my dear," he said to her, "matters developed and I had to rise early. I hope that you will not judge me for it."

"I know you, husband," Fanis said with a smile, "if you thought it necessary it probably was. Just remember, you have spent some months away from me and I would rather your company than to wake up in an empty bed yet again."

He grinned. "Consider me chastised, my dear. Right! Let us all be seated and break our fast. It looks like it will be another busy day."

"Oh?" Fanis asked as the Duke sat down. "Anything we should know about?"

Wallesan briefly grimaced. "A message from upstream. It seems that some few of the Yodan forces have refused to surrender and instead have become pirates along the river. I have spent the last bell or so sending instructions in all directions and some messages to those downstream."

"Pirates?" Eriana was interested. "What are pirates?"

Wallesan blinked and then remembered Eriana's origins. "Did you have bands of robbers in Einnland, Eriana? I mean, ones that operated on the roads between towns, accosting travelers and such?"

"Aye, of course. Almost everyone in Einnland goes armed, as you know, so travelers are obliged to journey with strong forces around them, especially if their journey be a long one. Is that what pirates are, then? Your word for a robber band?"

"Yes and no," he said with a grin. "They are robbers, aye, but they operate along the river, in fast boats, preying on river traffic. You have seen what the banks of the Sirrel are like, there are many places such a craft may hide until prey comes along. I am guessing that sort of thing does not happen in Einnland, because of the fact you only have the sea."

"Yes and no, Wallesan," she riposted with a smirk. "It is true we have no large river like the Sirrel but occasionally men from one of the more distant coastal towns would set out in ships to raid other coastal towns. But what you speak of sounds different."

"It is," his face sobered, "and the recent war may make things more complicated. They have guns now, of course, and it is said that they may have use of one or more of the Yodans' war galleys. The Sirrel may be cut in two in a way that it was not before, even during the war. You remember that Margrave Simbran of Faralmark sailed right through Yod during the war? There was traffic both ways, since all consider the river inviolate, excepting for those actually fighting, but of course pirates pay no attention to any customs."

"Hmm. If they seek to interfere with the Visund they will get an unpleasant surprise, I deem. Of course, that is some weeks away and much may happen before then. Shall you keep me informed, Wallesan? You understand that I have a particular concern."

"Of course, Eriana. And now, let us eat. I am hungry!"

* * *

At the end of the meal Ursula found Senia waiting for her in the corridor. This reminded her of the query she had mentioned earlier. She turned to the Duchess.

"Your Grace, Senia is here and I want to speak to her about... you know. But we had a problem yesterday in the market and I wondered if you had advice."

Fanis nodded. "I have not forgotten your words, dear. If we may go into the small meeting room, mayhap some easy answer may be found."

In the small room, Ursula said, "Senia and I went into the market to find somebody who could make me special tools for... what I do. Surgery, like I did to Mamoot. There was a silversmith there who was willing but he said, and I am forced to agree, that silver is not the right metal for what I need. It would have to be something harder like steel. So he directed us to a smith working in one of those little workshops at the side..? You know?" Fanis nodded. "He proved difficult, Your Grace. He said that what I wanted would be awkward to make and there would be no profit in it as there would only be a few made. He also said that no-one else would make them for me either."

The lips of the Duchess compressed and her eyes flashed. "Did he now? I have an idea of whom you speak and, while the items he makes are of the highest quality, he is known as a difficult man should you want anything not... traditional, let us say. I regret that many others of his ilk feel the same way, and if what Wallesan says is true, there could be strife in Joth when novel items arrive from Palarand and are demanded by our folk. I am told that some small number of artisans in that land feel the same way."

Senia asked, "Is there no remedy, Your Grace?"

"Perhaps, Senia. We have dealt with these people for a long time, as you know well, and we know who will do what Ursula wants and who would rather not. But I am not the person she should speak to for her needs. I will ask Duban to come and advise you. Did he not supply some of the items you used to treat poor Mamoot?"

Ursula nodded. "He did, Your Grace, though I thought he was reluctant to do so."

Fanis smiled. "He has now seen how the new saddles and gear are used and has become more receptive to ideas from afar. He may not be able to make what you want, that is not his craft, but he will know people who can. Shall I summon him?"

"I do not want to disturb -"

"It will be no bother, dear. He is not far away, after all, and arranging your needs will take him but a short while."

With that Fanis opened the door and called for a footman. Ursula and Senia exchanged some small talk while they waited. Duban appeared, bowing to Fanis before staring with interest at the two healers.

"Your Grace? If I may be of assistance?"

"Master Duban. Just as you have tools particular to your own specialty, so Mistress Ursula desires a set for hers, to help her when she must needs attend some poor unfortunate like Mamoot again. She cannot keep borrowing yours, can she?"

"As you say, Your Grace. I understand that what I could offer was good enough in time of need but of course the Mistress will want something better shaped to her requirements."

"And so she does. Now Senia and Ursula went to the market yesterday and found obstruction when they tried to commission such tools. Can you suggest someone better?"

Duban snorted. "Your Grace, I would not choose to have anything made from those in the market, they mostly prey upon gullible city residents and innocent farm folk who come in from time to time. Their wares are good enough, I must say, but there is nothing special about them except the price."

He turned to Ursula. "Mistress, I know of a good smith down near the docks who might be able to help you. Those who work there often have to make special parts and odd tools for the various foreign craft that come in from the river. If he cannot make what you need he will almost certainly know someone who does. If I may give you his name and address?"

Ursula colored. "Um, Master Duban, I regret that I am unable to leave the Mansion for a day or two. A woman's matter, you understand."

He did and took a step back. "I am sorry, Mistress, I did not realize. I might be able to ask him to come to the mansion, with Her Grace's permission? If I read your situation aright, you will be looking for a number of different tools, a whole set perhaps, not just a forceps or two."

Ursula nodded. "That's right, I can think of a number of different items that would be useful, but only to me and what I do." She added, "If he can make what I need, then there could be repeat orders into the future."

"An incentive indeed! Your Grace?"

"Yes, Master Duban, you have made a worthy suggestion. I will make it official and summon him myself. If you could provide one of those... What did you name them? The tool of which you spoke. I am sure that Ursula will be better able to describe what she needs with an example to hand."

Duban bowed. "Your Grace. I will fetch a spare forceps for the Mistress and await developments. If I may? I was in the middle of cutting out leather for a saddle of the new design. My assistants will be wondering what has happened."

"Thank you, Duban, you may go."

The saddler departed and the three women looked at one another.

"Ursula, what do you feel capable of today? I would not press you if you did not feel ready to do anything."

"Senia was teaching me the local letters," Ursula replied. "She will probably have to go out to do her rounds soon, but if there is anything here I could read, and someone to help me..."

"Surely! We have books from when our children learned to read -" Fanis stopped. "Oh! I do not know if any have survived. You recall the Mansion was nearly all burned down? I will have to ask Bellot if anything is left. If there is, he will know where it is all stored. If there is none, I am sure that we can find you something. Ah, and soon you will require the services of a scribe, I deem. If you can read, then surely you will also need to write, if only to make notes of your patients when you see them."

"You are right, Your Grace, and thank you. Reading and writing are important skills for anyone to learn."

"Indeed! I am pleased that Wallesan has taken the advice of Robanar, and through him that of Princess Garia, that everyone should in time be able to read and write. Many claim to manage without but I feel that all will benefit from learning. But of course you can read and write already, I deem, just not our local script."

"I can, Your Grace, and in two different scripts as well. It should not be difficult for me to learn yours."

"Then I will find a scribe for you to begin a proper course of learning. I am sorry, Senia, I know that you have been helping Ursula to learn the herbs and potions but formal instruction is what she needs now, to permit her to ply her craft as well as you do yours."

"Your Grace," Senia replied, "I take no offense at the idea. Formal instruction is always better than attempting to read hastily hand-written notes and I am no teacher of such arts. If you can find some of the children's books, I believe that will assist greatly in the process."

There was a knock at the door. Fanis opened it to reveal Bellot, who bowed.

"Your Grace, four ladies from the Lacemakers desire to speak with you. I did not know that you already had a meeting arranged."

"No, that is fine, Bellot." Fanis moved to the doorway. "Mistress Ursula had a query, which I have in part answered, and she also reminds me that she desires to learn the letters of the Great Valley. I wondered if anything of the children's learning books survived those of Yod."

Bellot looked doubtful. "I do not know, Your Grace. I will send someone to find out where anything that was salvaged was stored, but an answer may not come today."

"That is fine, Bellot," Fanis said again. She turned to Ursula and Senia. "If I may ask you to take Senia up to your suite, Ursula. You will doubtless feel more comfortable there and it will free up this room for our meeting."

"Of course, Your Grace."

Ursula led Senia up the stairs and into her suite. There was no sign of Bennet so Ursula assumed that she had gone out with Eriana again.

"Please," she said, gesturing to the armchairs either side of the fireplace. "Make yourself comfortable."

She eased herself into an armchair and relaxed as much as she could. "I assume that you have time before you go out on your rounds? I am sorry, I cannot come with you for a few days."

"Actually," Senia responded with a warm smile, "I am not going out on my rounds this morning. Like you, Kalikan presently attends me, though unlike you I am at the end of my own Call. Thus we may spend some time explaining one to the other what we know of such matters. I assume that was your intent?"

Ursula felt relieved. "Oh, yes, Senia! What I most need is information and of course you will want to know how we deal with such matters on Earth."

"As you say. Now, do you know what is happening inside us? Many women find the Calls to be frightening at first. We know that it must have something to do with the bearing of children, but that is all."

"I can tell you as much as I know, which is probably more than you will be able to take in today. Have you a means of taking notes?"

"Of course. You know that I take a pad and reedlets with me whenever I leave the house."

"Then I'll need to borrow a page or two to draw some diagrams. You see, this is what happens..."

* * *

The knock at the door made the two women look up. They glanced at one another, then Senia began gathering the notes she had made while Ursula rose to go to the door. When she opened it, Heris stood there with Duban.

"Oh! Good morning."

Heris bowed and said, "Good morning, Mistress. Her Grace said that Master Duban wanted to speak to you, but... as you were indisposed, I did not know whether now would be a suitable time."

She smiled at the saddler. "I am indisposed, but not so much that I cannot speak with him. Will you come in and join us?"

Duban replied, "Um, us?"

"I was discussing medical matters with Healer Senia. Since she was with me when I operated on Mamoot, the tools I need concern her as well."

He nodded. "Of course, but I only came by to give you that address and a spare forceps. I have an example here."

From a pouch pocket in the front of his apron he pulled out one of the forceps he used to manipulate leather and stitching on the saddle frames.

"This is what you wanted, Mistress?"

"It is, and thank you. I will let you have it back as soon as I can."

Duban pulled out from the bottom of the pouch a scrap of parchment. "And here is the name and address as promised. I know him well, we are related and you may rely on his work for your business."

"Thank you, Master Duban, and thank you, Heris."

Heris bowed. "A messenger has been sent to find the person named, I could not say when he may be able to attend. When he arrives, where should you prefer to meet him?"

"I don't know, Heris. Is it appropriate for me to see him up here?"

"Given the circumstances, it would probably be better if I brought him up, Mistress. You will not want to move around too much today, I would guess."

"But Senia will be leaving soon and Bennet has gone out with Her Highness. I will be on my own for part of the time."

Heris nodded. "I will bear that in mind, Mistress, and find someone who can accompany you. It is entirely possible that Her Grace may interest herself in your requirements."

"Oh. Very well. Thank you, both."

Ursula closed the door and turned. "Having to have a companion all the time is annoying, Senia. Why cannot we go about on our own? The men do it all the time."

Senia spread her hands. "Your present situation is one reason, Ursula. Should you have the need to relieve yourself, you would find it difficult to clean up by yourself, I deem. Though," she added, "those ship dresses certainly make the task easier. Now I do not know what it is like where you came from, but here even in the city a woman on her own is in danger from the rougher elements of our people. You know this from your own experience."

Ursula's shoulders dropped. "I had forgotten that, Senia. You are right, but I do not like it."

"It is part of being a woman, Ursula. You may have noticed that I customarily go about the city on my own, since all know us healers and respect our profession, but I will tell you that there are parts of the city I will not enter unless a man comes with me. We are not made as men and there are different dangers that attend us."

"So I learned. I just wish..." Ursula shrugged. "This society is so different than what I lived in on Earth, and my own circumstances are so different as well, that I am struggling to adjust. Some of it seems familiar but then I will be reminded by something that it is not. Some of it is so unfamiliar that I struggle to understand it at all." She pressed a hand to her head. "And now my head hurts even more."

She sank back into her chair, leaned back and closed her eyes.

Senia started. "Oh! Ursula, I am forgetting the most basic of ways that a Call may be made more comfortable."

She stood, bent and picked up her ever-present basket of remedies. Rummaging about she came up with a glass jar which looked green. Putting the basket down again, she opened the jar and regarded its contents.

"Hmm. Not as fresh as I would like, Ursula. You remember I told you about this?"

Ursula stared at the jar. "I think so. What is it?"

"Leaves from the kredis plant, mashed with a little poryne juice," Senia explained. "Although in this case I deem it has been left a little long, since I made it up for my own Call. It is a powerful pain reliever, especially for the present circumstance, but also dangerous if too much is taken."

"I remember. Is it still usable?"

"Mayhap... I could ask if the kitchen has anything suitable to restore its vigor."

"Please do." Ursula gestured to the wall. "Pull the yellow rope and someone will come."

A footman came and went away, returning with Renita, who entered the room and closed the door.

"Mistress?"

"Senia here has some of the green stuff that apparently is used during Calls of Kalikan," Ursula explained. "It is not fresh, however. She says that there may be ways the kitchen could help."

Renita turned her attention to Senia, who said, "Yes, I made this some seven days ago and it looks a little tired. What I need is a little tart fruit juice, nothing special, to revive it somewhat. Before I next attend Mistress Ursula I will make up a fresh batch."

"Of course, Mistress Senia."

The two discussed possible ways of improving the mixture and then Renita left. Ursula closed her eyes again.

* * *

She was being gently shaken. "Ursula! Wake up!"

"What?" She roused herself and looked at Senia, who was standing over her with a concerned expression.

"You have been asleep almost a bell, I deem," Senia explained. "I thought it wise to let you continue so, but now it will soon be time for lunch. How do you feel now? What about that headache?"

Ursula winced. The headache seemed a little worse, though she had suffered far worse on Earth.

"No better, Senia. That green stuff..?"

"Here and ready. Renita found some of a fermented berry juice, left over from last fall's crop but still drinkable. I have mixed a little with the leaves and tasted it so I know that it will not upset you. Shall you have some now, before you eat?"

"I suppose so."

"It will be better to take it now," Senia added as she reached for a spoon from her basket, "so that it will act on your empty stomach."

"Yes, of course. If I took it after eating it would be diluted by all the food."

"Here, then."

Leaves consumed, Ursula looked at Senia as she packed everything away.

"Are you leaving now?"

"Her Grace has kindly invited me to stay for lunch," the healer explained, "as she knows that you will need a little support and encouragement today. But I must needs go into the city after we have eaten, a woman is expecting twins and, while I will not be midwife for the births, it is possible that there might be complications. Do you know of such matters?"

"Oh, yes, pregnant women were often brought into the Emergency Room back on Earth. Either the babies were early or there was some other complication."

"And you know ways of dealing with such matters?" Senia's gaze was now direct. "Too many of our women die in childbirth. If you know ways of preventing such tragedies, all Joth will be in your debt."

"I do, Senia, and, as I said before, you are welcome to all I know... but not today." Ursula wrinkled her nose. "Lunch, you said. Do I have to go downstairs to eat?"

"I do not know, Ursula. I am not privy to the domestic arrangements of the mansion. Let me find out."

Senia pulled the rope and a footman came, returning a short while later with Bellot.

"Mistress?"

"Do I have to come downstairs for lunch? As you are aware, I would prefer not to have to move around much today."

"Mistress, of course you may eat here in your suite. It is a guest suite, as you already know, and provision is made should guests choose to dine privately. Will Mistress Senia be dining with you?"

Ursula looked at Senia, who nodded.

"If it is no problem, then she will. Um, how do I find out -"

"I will have a list sent of what will be available, Mistress. Whatever you choose will probably be brought up in about half a bell or a little later."

"Thank you, Bellot."

The chamberlain bowed and withdrew.

"There is a side benefit to dining in your chamber," Senia remarked. "You will not have to prepare yourself, possibly change, in order to go down and join Their Graces to eat. At a time like this most women will just desire to be comfortable."

"I didn't think of that." Ursula sighed. "There is so much new that I have to learn!"

"And yet, there is so much that you may teach us," Senia said. "I am only now beginning to realize just what it is your arrival means to us, the means to move the arts of healing along in ways we cannot yet imagine. I believe that I now understand what Princess Garia means to Palarand, and through them to the rest of the Great Valley."

"There is much there that is a puzzle to me, though. Princess Garia and I come from the same place, but who sent us and for what purpose? I believe that the Duke and Maralin know more, but they aren't saying anything to me about it. I know that Princess Eriana is annoyed that she is not being told everything."

Senia eyed her. "Is this something you should be speaking of to me, Ursula? The Duke is a good man and I have no complaints of Maralin. Remember, by your own reckoning you have been with us no more than two weeks. I am sure that, in time, you will discover everything you need to know about those who sent you here and their purpose."

Ursula leaned back and closed her eyes. The headache did seem to be less already.

"I am sure that you are right, Senia. I dislike not knowing what is going on though." She considered. "I come from a society where the holding of secrets is a normal thing. Although it is almost a habit to hold on to secrets oneself, it is also annoying when others do it to you. When I moved... to other countries, I found that most people were more open about whatever was going on. I preferred it that way and I thought that it was better on this world than on Earth. Perhaps I was wrong."

"Since I have not been to Earth, I could not say, Ursula. Remember that His Grace must needs rule over Joth and also speak to our neighbor countries. I doubt not that he knows many things he would not speak of to his people, to keep them safe and avoid alarm."

"You are right. I am sorry I mentioned it."

"Do not be sorry, Ursula. It is right for you to question your surroundings, to learn all that you may. It is the same with healers. We must needs know all that we can about a patient before we may properly treat whatever is wrong with him or her."

A knock at the door brought Renita bearing a slate with the lunch menu on it. Of course Ursula could not understand any of it so Senia read it out. The fact that Renita was assisting with the preparation was a great help, since she could advise Ursula what items might be more suitable given the circumstances. Selections made, Renita took the slate and withdrew.

"Do you need to clean up again before eating? You will just have time, I deem."

"A good idea." Ursula rose. "Will you help again?"

"Surely."

* * *

"And now, regrettably, I must needs leave you," Senia said. She smiled. "I have enjoyed eating lunch in here with you, Ursula, but now I must attend my duty. I am no midwife, though of course I know what needs to be done and have acted as such on occasion. I leave that task to those more experienced, but as complications may be expected then I must join them to act as reserve. Though," she added thoughtfully, "since speaking to you this morning I feel that I now know much more than any midwife in the Valley ever did! I will attempt to write clear notes that others may make use of the valuable information you have provided."

"I have no objection," Ursula said, "but when you have finished it I would like to see what you have written, so that I can check for any misunderstandings. Oh!" She gave an embarrassed grin, "I would not be able to read them, would I? Her Grace said she would provide a scribe to help me learn the alphabet. I wonder when he will come... It will be a he, I suppose?"

Senia's expression was eloquent. "He will be a man, of course. I do not understand why, but it is deemed that only men may dabble in the art of the scribe, though at least they permit women to learn to read and write. For themselves they reserve the business of writing decrees, scrolls and other important documents."

Ursula sighed. "It is a familiar tale, Senia. Men think they know everything but most of what they do can be done by anybody. Women end up with all the drudgery."

Both women stood and Ursula conducted Senia to the door.

"That is not entirely true, at least not here in the Great Valley. As you have already observed, almost all healers among us are women. It seems we have a touch few men can manage easily."

Ursula opened the door. On the other side of the corridor, near the head of the stairway, stood an armsman she didn't know.

"Mistress Senia is leaving now," she informed him. "We have just had lunch so I am going to have a nap."

He nodded. "As you say, Mistress. What should I do if anyone calls for you?"

"Oh, tell them to knock on the door and wait. I am just closing my eyes, not climbing into bed."

He saluted. "As you desire, Mistress."

Senia asked, "Shall I come here tomorrow morning to see how you are? You might need some more of the green stuff."

"That might be a good idea, Senia. You had better go. Until tomorrow, then."

"Until tomorrow."

Ursula closed the door, walked over to the bed and laid herself out flat on it. Eriana had told her that in the palace in Palarand there were recliner-style chairs laid out along balconies for the inhabitants to nap on, but she had no balcony. Those were arranged around the upper story and only suitable for armsmen going to and from their billets. The bed would do.

The knocking on the door woke her. She roused herself and swung her legs onto the floor. It was much warmer now and the fact that she was wearing a day gown, even a thin one, made it seem even hotter.

"One moment, please."

As she stood gravity did its work and she grimaced. Not now! There was no time to deal with the problem now, she would just have to see who her caller was and put up with the consequences. She walked slowly to the door, pulling her skirt straight, and opened it.

"Mistress," the short woman outside began with a bob, "I am Tyra, Master Bellot sent me to be your companion while you speak with the Master here."

The man with her was older, thick-set, his hair just beginning to turn gray. He bowed politely but his expression was unreadable.

"Mistress, I am Serek of Thorn, a Scribe in the city. Her Grace the Duchess has asked me to come to the Mansion to teach you our letters. If I am to do so, I must first find out what education you already possess."

"Oh, yes, of course. Please come in. We can use the table by the window."

Despite Ursula's suggestion, Tyra would not sit but insisted in taking a position behind her chair. The interplay caused Serek to frown.

"Mistress, it is clear by your accent that you are a foreigner. I will warn you that to teach someone as yourself to read and write may be onerous. Are you prepared for such a task?"

"Oh, I can read and write, Master... Serek, was it? I can read and write in four languages and two scripts. Unfortunately, neither of those scripts are of any use here in Joth."

His eyebrows rose. "Four languages? Two scripts? If I may ask what those might be? His Grace has occasionally asked me to draft letters to some in distant lands, if I know of those you speak it may help our task."

What do I tell him now? I can't tell him that I come from another world, he would walk out in a moment.

What was it that Maralin said? "Tell the truth but just enough to satisfy the question. Let them make up whatever else they need to hear around it.

"Well, I can speak Russian, English, French and German, though my German is limited. The scripts would be Cyrillic and Latin."

Since all those words came out in English, she knew that they had never been heard in the Great Valley before. She saw that the Scribe was suitably impressed.

"Mistress, I have never heard of any of those before. If I may ask, whereabouts on Alaesia is it that you came from?"

She shook her head. "I came from a land called Alberta, Master Serek. How I came to Joth I could not tell you. It was a long journey and during it I suffered an injury which meant that I lost my memory. It only came back after I arrived but," she remembered Maralin's advice, "there are still some gaps."

"Lost your memory? And yet you are still able to live normally?"

Ursula fought down the urge to laugh hysterically. Normal? I could not conceive of anything less normal! But I cannot tell him that!

"As I said, most of my memory has returned, particularly that part relating to my work. I am a healer and I have already saved a life since I arrived in Joth. There are... certain parts... of my past which I am still unsure of, that is all."

He grunted and, after a short while, nodded. "As you say, Mistress. Now I must ask you if you have yet seen our letters."

"Of course! There have been several occasions when I have gone out into the city and seen what I assume are street signs. I have no idea what any of them mean. Mistress Senia has begun to teach me some of the letters, so that I may gain some idea of the potions and salves that she uses, but they are very confusing."

"Ah, I see. And would... Mistress Senia... that would be Healer Senia, I would assume?"

"That's right, yes. I have been assisting her on her daily rounds these last few days, to find out what differences there are between the way things are done here and where I came from."

"As you say. So she has shown you some of her notes, then?"

"Yes, written on parchment."

"Ah, no wonder you are finding it difficult. If I may -"

He leaned down and picked up the satchel he had brought with him, opening it and pulling out what looked like two picture frames. These proved to be wood frames holding sheets of parchment, with letters inscribed on both sides. He put them down on the table and turned them to face Ursula.

"If I may explain. Our letters may come in three or possibly four forms. These two," he pointed to one frame, "are customarily used for important notices which are intended to be legal or public documents. You will see that they are similar. The street signs will be in these forms. On this sheet," he pointed to the other frame, "are letters which are customarily used when writing privately. As the writing for each person will vary, according to their abilities and their physical limitations, so the written letters may vary considerably. I think my first task will be to make you familiar with the public forms, that you may comfortably go about the city and read whatever you may find there. Once you become familiar with our writing, then you may progress to the written forms. I understand that you will wish to learn to write as well as read?"

"But of course. As a healer I will need to make my own notes."

"As you will, though you may find that learning to write takes much longer than learning to read, I deem."

"I have no plans to leave His Grace's mansion."

"Then let us begin."

The next bell seemed trying to Ursula. There were a lot of new shapes to remember, almost all of which resembled nothing she had ever seen before. Serek seemed more interested in getting her to know the names of the shapes as opposed to their sounds or what they were used for. On the other hand, she was surprised to discover how easy it was to remember what she had been told, putting this down to Maralin's comment about having an improved memory.

The session was ended by another knock at the door. Tyra opened it to reveal Eriana standing outside.

"Ursula, I must apologize! I did not know that you were busy."

Feeling that she had done enough for one day in her present condition, Ursula stood. "Highness, please come in. I think that I have probably done enough for this afternoon." As Eriana entered, followed by Bennet and Semma, with all wearing ship dresses, she turned. "I suppose I should introduce Master Serek, who has begun to instruct me in the local written language. Master Serek, this is Her Highness Princess Eriana of Palarand."

Serek bolted out of his chair and bowed deeply. "Your Highness, I did not know that you were acquainted with Mistress Ursula."

Eriana's usual bland public expression dissolved into a glare, though Ursula suspected that Serek had not noticed. "Master Serek, we arrived in Joth together aboard my ship. We are more than acquaintances, I deem."

Serek bowed again. "My apologies, Highness. Though I knew that His Grace had returned, I knew few more details other than that you were with him. Your ship, did you say?"

"Aye, I am owner and captain of the Visund, as well as liege lady of her crew. And you are?"

"An experienced scribe of the city, Your Highness, often employed by His Grace to draft documents of state. Her Grace asked me to attend the mansion to instruct Mistress Ursula in our letters."

"I see. And she tells me that you have finished for today, is that so?"

Serek turned to Ursula, who said, "Master Serek, a bell is about all I can manage at one time, especially when I am... indisposed. Can you come again tomorrow, at about the same time?"

He blinked. "Indisposed? I was not aware..."

"It has not affected what you taught me, Master Serek. I am just a little tired, that is all. And we were sitting right beside the window and the sun is somewhat hot today."

"Ah, as you say." Serek turned and collected his satchel. "If I may leave my samples here, Mistress, you may use them to refresh your memory when convenient."

"Of course."

The man bowed to Eriana and slipped out of the door without another word.

Eriana scowled. "I like not that man! He reminds me of some that crawl around my father's court. Has he taught you anything of use, Ursula?"

"Well, I now know what all the letters look like and the names of most of them. As for what they sound like or how they are used..." She spread her hands wide. "Nothing."

"It is a start. I suspect that his knowledge is of a studious kind and not suited for practical use. Such people are needed, much as the Questors of Palarand are needed, but they do not contribute to society in the way that a guildsman does. Mayhap you may do better with a different teacher, I deem."

"I think that I agree, Highness. He did seem somewhat dry." She paused. "What is a... Questor?"

"Oh! Your pardon, of course you would not know." Eriana's eyes narrowed as she thought. "They are... supposedly clever men in Palarand who are, it seems, commanded by the King to seek out the mysteries of the world around us... I think." She shook her head. "At least, that is how I understand it. Garia, or mayhap even Maralin, would be able to tell you more. You will already know that I am a person of action more than thought, I leave that to others who are more capable. In practice, I deem, these men spend more time fighting one with the other than discovering anything useful."

"Oh, I see. Yes, we have people like that back on Earth. Sometimes good comes of their efforts, much of the time they spend, as you say, arguing." Ursula paused. "Back to the reading and writing, have you any suggestions, Highness?"

"Mayhap. This man, Serek? He will probably teach you some of what you need, I deem. Senia may be of more practical use. Maralin, too, though I know he is, like the rest of us, very busy. If you will give me leave to think on the matter. I believe that it is very important to your presence here on Anmar, whatever that is, that you are able to read and write properly. We must make sure that you can do so." Eriana smiled at Ursula. "But I am forgetting myself! How are you feeling now? Any pains, discomfort? This is the first time that your body will have done this, so we are told, and there is much that you may find uncomfortable or distressing."

Ursula was pensive. "Some of it was unexpected, Highness, and the cleaning up can be tedious, I think. There have been strange feelings inside, but nothing that my training tells me would be unusual for such a process." She shrugged. "It is what I am now, so I will just have to get used to it."

"You body only does what every other woman's body has done since time began," Eriana said. "Most come to it much younger than you, when their breasts grow, and they understand that it is part of becoming a woman. You will very soon become used to the cycle of womanhood, I deem."

"I suppose so. Other than that, Highness, I am feeling a little tired, and sitting near a window, with the hot sun streaming through, while looking at strange letters has not helped my mood."

"Then shall you not come away from the window now? You will probably desire to clean yourself up again soon, I deem, and then it will be time to change for the evening meal. You should find that a loose evening gown will improve your mood."

"That is a good idea, Highness."

Ursula turned and saw Tyra at the same time that Eriana noticed her properly.

The woman bobbed. "Highness, I am Tyra. I was sent to be companion to Mistress Ursula while Master Serek was present."

Belatedly remembering what they had just been talking about, Eriana said, "Tyra, you must not speak to any of what you have heard here today. What service do you perform in the mansion?"

"I am an upstairs maid, Highness, I normally tend the various chambers with the other upstairs staff."

"Hmm. Would you be willing to serve Mistress Ursula on another occasion?"

"If Her Grace permits, Highness."

Ursula saw that Tyra wanted to ask more but was reluctant to. "Highness, what did you have in mind?"

Eriana waved a hand. "Just a thought, Ursula. I am considering the future, that is all. We will speak of it later, with Fanis, if you please." She turned to Tyra. "Thank you for your service. Since we are all here now, you may return to your usual duties."

Tyra bobbed. "As you command, Highness."

The servant let herself out and closed the door. Eriana turned back to Ursula and rubbed her hands. "Now, I deem, it is time for you to clean yourself up again. Semma and I will retire to my suite while Bennet assists you. We will meet downstairs, ready for the meal."

* * *

At the end of the meal Wallesan invited Eriana, Ursula and Maralin into their sitting room along with Fanis.

"Make yourselves comfortable, please. I will not disturb your evening long." When they had all chosen seats, he continued, "Maralin told me today that you had discussed certain... bathroom objects... with him, I believe?"

Ursula answered cautiously, "We did, Your Grace. It was in respect of bathroom items which would be of use to women... at certain times of the month, say... but they would also be of use to others at all times."

He waved a hand. "I see that you are reluctant to speak of such matters in mixed company, and I can understand why. Through Fanis I am a little familiar with what happens so you may speak freely with no thought of embarrassment. My particular interest is in the benefits it might bring to us, but also what problems might arise if we chose to bring such objects to Anmar."

Ah! Now I understand. They do not want to allow just anything in from Earth, but they will try to consider what impact it might have here first.

"Your Grace, the immediate benefit would be simple. At the moment, to... clean ourselves during our Calls, then, a small amount of water is placed in the bath which we use. That is then flushed away before the bath is filled properly. It seemed to me yesterday, having endured this process for the very first time, that it was a great waste of hot water. On Earth, a small shaped basin called a bidet is often used instead. This holds a small amount of water and therefore is easier to heat."

"I am assuming that you speak of a specially shaped device. Would a simple basin on a table not suffice?"

Ursula turned. "Maralin? Can you explain better?"

"I think so," he said. "They are not a particularly American thing but I have seen them in certain hotels. Your Grace, these would be fixtures like the flush toilets you saw in Dekarran. Also like them, they are plumbed in so that each has valves the user can turn to get hot and cold water, meaning that there is no need for someone elsewhere to pump it up when the rope is pulled. Thinking about it, they would be at a similar height to the toilet seats you saw then, so that it would be easier for a woman to wash between her legs."

"Ah, I understand now. So just a small amount of water is used, then, saving firewood and effort at the boiler."

Maralin made a twisted grin. "Yes and no, Your Grace. For a system like this to work, you would need to have a ready supply of hot water, usually in a high tank somewhere, and pipework to feed the bidet. I will add that we usually have washbasins in our bathrooms as well, fed the same way, so that hands can be washed in a small amount of water. Those would be mounted just about at table height." He shrugged. "Bidets are not used everywhere, Your Grace. Most of the time we have washbasins and use those instead. The same principle applies, that you can do what you need to in a small amount of water."

"Would these be made from copper, as those toilet bowls were?"

"No, Your Grace. Almost all our bathroom ware is made from porcelain, which is basically molded clay with a glaze which is usually white. The copper toilet bowls you saw in Dekarran were just prototypes to show how the system worked." Maralin thought. "That is probably one of the downsides for bringing bathroom ware to Anmar, since it would use a lot of clay and a lot of wood to fire it with."

Wallesan grinned. "But do we not now have access to this wonderful coal stuff? Can we not use that to fire our kilns?"

"Access, Your Grace, in theory yes, but it will be expensive at first and it has to be brought all the way from Blackstone. A better idea would probably be to let them make the wares and the rest of us buy them from Palarand."

The Duke's face wrinkled. "I would rather Joth made its own products," he muttered, "but you are probably right. Coal would be expensive and it would have to be brought a long way along the river."

Eriana asked, "What about the new steamships? Will they not help?"

"In time, Eriana," the Duke replied, "but first we would have to design and build those ships."

"Thinking about it," Maralin said slowly, "there are other things in Earth bathrooms which might be of help here in the Valley. Your Grace, I already know that, despite the presence of the Sirrel at your doorstep, at times of the year clean water can become scarce. We use other items to bathe in and they use much less water than the huge baths I have seen here and in Palarand."

Wallesan nodded. "Explain."

"Your Grace, we have bathtubs which are more the size of those you find in the smaller roadhouses. They are usually made just big enough to seat one person with their legs stretched out. Those can be made from wood, like those roadhouse bathtubs are, from cast iron, steel, porcelain or... some other more advanced materials.

"In some places, we don't even have bathtubs like that, but use showers instead. These are simply square trays of porcelain or other materials which are fitted to the floor to stop water going everywhere. Of course they have a drain built in. The water comes from a sprinkler arrangement overhead. You stand under this to wash yourself and the water comes down like a light shower of rain, though of course it can be warm water if you prefer."

"And all these items, as you say, are 'plumbed in'?"

"Aye, Your Grace. Thinking about it further, a side benefit might be that the bathroom itself can be made smaller. That might become important as the population grows and we have to build new houses."

Wallesan came to a decision. "Maralin, Ursula, I understand what you have both told me and I would agree that such items as you describe would be of use to many in Joth, whatever complications they may cause to install. However, I will tell you that I would rather make certain that there is nothing we have forgotten, no consequence we have overlooked, and so I desire to send this idea to those in Palarand who must needs consider it.

"Maralin, in view of the fact that you are familiar with these bathroom products, and can therefore describe them in detail, and for certain other reasons, I will ask you to travel to Palarand and present your thoughts to the King. I know that it is not long since you have returned to Joth, but a journey to Palarand and return should take barely three weeks, if that. There is certainly time to be back well before the Harvest Festival celebrations."

Maralin nodded. "Your Grace, I am looking forward to those. How soon do you want me to leave?"

"I will give you a day or two to make preparations, there is no urgency. You have time to arrange your affairs and organize a small escort. Though you and your party should travel in plain travelers attire, I desire you to go well protected. Your worth is valuable, not just to me or to Joth but to all Anmar and I desire that no harm should befall you."

"Thank you, Your Grace. Um, should we be thinking about Ursula traveling to Palarand at this time? I am certain they will want to see her as soon as it is convenient."

Wallesan shook his head. "It is too soon for that, I think." He turned to Ursula. "I am sorry, my dear, but I do not think that you should be traveling so far just yet. I would rather that you had settled down, become more comfortable in our society, before you took on fresh challenges."

"I would agree, Ursula," Eriana added. "At the very least, you should be able to read and write before you consider traveling anywhere. It is possible to do so without, but those who do so are usually in the retinue of someone who can read and write."

Again, they are taking decisions about my future, almost as though I was not here!

In this particular case I am forced to agree that they might be right. I have barely begun to understand this new land I am in and it would be too soon to send me off to another.

A three week round trip? Oh, and I'd probably have to ride, wouldn't I? That will not be possible for a while, even if I was willing to travel that way. That decides it.

"Highness, Your Grace, I agree. I would prefer to settle down here before I would think of traveling such a distance."

Is that relief on Eriana's face? Does she have another reason for keeping me here?

Wallesan nodded. "Think nothing of it, my dear. You have recently arrived, all is strange to you and we must not force too much on you too soon. Even now you are still adjusting to your new circumstances and your new body. There is no doubt at all that one day you will travel to Palarand and see the wonders there, but the time is not right, I deem. Settle in at your own pace, become comfortable in your surroundings, and then we may speak of the future in more detail."

"Thank you, Your Grace."

up
193 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Time for Ursula to learn to go with the flow

Erm.

Anyway, great job Penny, Ursula has to learn to be patient.

So, can we trust that temporary maid to keep her mouth shut.

If word leaks out through that scribe or maid and gets to the wrong ears, there can be trouble.

Maids and scribes

The scribe didn't hear much about Ursula's past and I suspect that he wouldn't be that interested anyway. After all, she's only a woman, is she not?

As for Tyra, I have an open mind about her. She might do as a maid for Ursula (with a little training) but ship-board will be a different set of problems.

We have seen almost nothing of her character as yet, either. That may surface as the next chapter or three develops.

Penny

And I have done my part

The appendices have been updated!

Mention of Garia

BarbieLee's picture

Although The Voyage is standing on its own, the feeling of talking about well known friends surfaces when Garia is mentioned. Eriana, the warrior princess seems to be amiable to letting things settle for awhile as her own crew heals up from the being attacked by the giant fish. Oh how she has mellowed since she first arrived in Paraland.
Well done Penny, hope you are feeling better as you said awhile back you were exhausted.
always,
Barb

Oklahoma born and raised cowgirl

Mentions of Garia

Well, she's the 'dranakh in the room', so to speak. She is presently off-stage and likely to remain so during this particular voyage, but of course everybody will be talking about her from one end of the Great Valley to the other because of what she began.

This was a slightly awkward story to start as the main character didn't appear for a few chapters. I began it, therefore, as a kind of ensemble piece with characters we already know, introducing a few new faces along the way. Now we have introduced Ursula it will be mainly about her but I won't ignore whatever else might be going on around the Visund and its crew.

I can also promise you that the crew will meet some more well-known characters as the story develops.

Exhausted? Well, there are health things still going on but I'm not laid up or anything like that. Let's just say that there are more unfinished jobs about the house than I am comfortable with. I do what I can, when I can, and that includes writing.

Penny

bathtubs!

yay!

DogSig.png

the first smith

is going to be in for some challenging times, traditional wares will be among the first things mass produced and exported. As for the Duke wanting to make everything local, Joth will be freeing up Paraland's textiles work

Pirates

Teek's picture

Now we start to see the first main job of the navy, dealing with pirates. The real question is if the Visund is up to confrontation with a well equipped boat with guns, and a Yodian War Galley. This will be the first test of the Navy, and our Princess as captain. We have seen her fight on land, but not on water yet. This will be interesting. How are they going to deal with this challenge? I look forward to seeing this.

Now, the main character is Ursula, but the title is Voyage of the Visund. I am curious as we see this develop, how the two will be blended together. Will Ursula become the Visund's doctor?

Thanks for continuing the story. I look forward to reading more.

Keep Smiling, Keep Writing
Teek

Properly chastised

Glad to hear that your on the mend Penny., This is most likely my #1 favorite universe though I do wish that
Garia returns soon.
I find it so fascinating how detailed and logical you present the development/advancement of a culture so vividly.
LOVE it!!

alissa

Garia

If I ever finish this story, then logically the return of Garia would follow. However, I have yet to finish this story and SEE took six years.

I am sorry to lower expectations, but don't hold your breath.

Penny

Plumbing

Well they might as well set the flow standards now to conserve water then.

Speaking of which, what are the units of volume and mass here anyway?

Volume and mass

Actually, the subject hasn't arisen up until now :)

The only reference to a unit of mass was when Garia introduced the 'ton' by describing it as a cubic stride of water. I can't think of any other place any of it is used.

That isn't to say that I have a policy of not mentioning such things; weights and measures just haven't been really needed yet, aside from distances.

Penny

"Modern" Plumbing

joannebarbarella's picture

Do Ursula and/or Maralyn remember the design of the U-Bend toilets of Thomas Crapper? These, combined with proper sewers, reduced the incidence of diseases such as dysentery and typhoid by an order of magnitude. I assume that such diseases exist in the states along the Great Valley so I can see no downside in introducing baths, showers, bidets, et al, to their civilization.

U-bends

Hi there. U-Bends have already been mentioned in these tales! Except, they were called S-bends.

See #74 of JoB.

Cheers

Joolz

S-bends again

Already been there. See SEE # 57, towards the end.

There is so much, it is easy to forget sometimes. Even for the poor author!

Penny

Needed resources

Jamie Lee's picture

Ursula seems to be handling the Call well, considering it's her first time. It sure seems the main topic of conversation when she's with other women in tha mansion. Guess they are just concerned about her.

Wallesan wants to manufacture things for Joth in Joth, but his wants don't feed the bulldog if the needed resources aren't available somewhere around Joth. And with the advancements made in Palarand Wallesan might be trying to reinvent the wheel. Palarand has learned how to manufacture items, so maybe let them make the bathroom fixtures?

Joth is near the river, so maybe the right clay could be found. If so then learning to fire it would be something new to learn.

Others have feelings too.