Kronos: Chapter 3.5

Printer-friendly version
Kronos.jpg
Kronos

Prologue

by Aurum

Copyright © 2020 Aurum
All Rights Reserved.

Author’s Note: This was formerly the prologue for about 12 hours. No matter how much I tried to silence him, the main character of this chapter was determined to speak. Jokes aside, I will periodically do 1/2 chapters which will be set from his perspective. If you aren’t interested in him, you can skip 1/2 chapters and won’t miss anything in Kaleb’s world.


What are our options?” asked the man in a perfectly tailored suit.

“Sir, we have several choices since we have reliable data on where they started accelerating.” said the man in a dark gray military uniform. “Our intelligence says they should be traveling to Saturn. Their trajectory should have them passing in range of our belt assets.” He paused for effect before continuing, “of course we’d have to get approval from the UN. If that proves impossible we can try to blockade them and freeze their bank accounts.”

“Do I have any other suggestions?” asked the man in the suit.

“Mr. President, I believe we could try uploading a virus. Since they should still be connected to the internet it might work. If we can make the AI become violent before killing themselves it’d take care of the problem.” said the man in glasses.

“They’re machines, they can’t kill themselves because they aren’t alive to begin with.” President Stone admonished. “Regardless, that plan is too risky, it could easily lead to undesirable consequences.”

He waited, looking at every member of his security council to see if there were any other ideas. When no one spoke, President Stone continued, “Mrs. Ambassador please get approval from our allies to commence Operation Nova. In the meantime, I want all of their assets frozen and all of Kadashev’s Advanced Technologies & Sciences assets seized.” He paused to make sure he had everyone’s undivided attention before saying in a grave tone, “Ladies and gentlemen, we are dealing with a terrorist, an enemy of all mankind. Our very survival depends on us acting swiftly.”

 
 
The security meeting ended after a few lower priority items were addressed. Once business concluded, President Stone and his Chief of Staff returned to the West Wing.

“How long until they’re in position?” President Stone asked on the short walk back.

“If I understood the admiral’s report correctly, we’ll have a clear shot eight days after they pass Mars. As long as they don’t learn about our plans, it will be an easy target.”

President Stone only knew the basics about the UN’s interplanetary defense system - Nova, but that was more than enough for him to realize how lethal it’d be. During an old briefing the admiral explained it to him. He’d forgotten most of it, but remembered the admiral saying they could launch twelve massive tungsten rods with a powerful rocket and then explode a nuke behind it. President Stone couldn’t recall how fast the admiral said it was, but he knew they measured it as a percentage of light-speed.

“I still don’t see how we can hit a fast moving target with those little rods.” the president said.

“Don’t you remember sir, each one splinters into thousands of pieces five minutes before the estimated intercept. If just one piece hits its target, it’d be catastrophic at that speed.”

“Right, right. And how has enforcement of the new law been proceeding?”

“Other than Kaleb, we have had good compliance. The financial remuneration has helped prevent most disputes.”

“Very good, most people get they’re just machines. They’re not like you and me, they’re not people and they have no soul.”

 
 
The walked finished in silence with President Stone skimming thru the briefing he’d received about other matters. They seemed trivial compared to this little problem.

Despite his public denials, it was more than just national security for him. President Stone considered AI, all advanced automation for that matter, to be an impediment to people’s sense of self-worth. When he was still just a senator he’d had multiple debates with Kaleb, but never could convince the delusional man.

‘If people can’t do anything meaningful, then how will their life have meaning.’ he wondered. It was bad enough when the machines took people’s jobs, but now they did everything. ‘If people can’t even contribute to the arts, then what’s left? Are we destined to become their pets?’ President Stone remembered using this rhetoric in a debate, but Kaleb just droned on and on about achieving post-scarcity.

“I won’t ever understand how that man thinks.” President Stone complained to his husband.

“Who are we talking about?” Taylor, the First Gentlemen, asked.

“Kaleb, he thinks people are fine just being pets. And that’s if we’re lucky, odds are those psychotic machines will kill us.” he paused, “it’s just a matter of time.”

“You’ve always hated them haven’t you dear?”

“You know my family lost everything when they replaced my parents. My mom was a talented musician, and even she couldn’t get a job.”

“I remember, that was before the Universal Basic Income. It must have been tough.” Taylor said while squeezing his husband’s hand reassuringly.

“It’s not just about what they did to me. I want to protect everyone, and not just their lives, no, I want to protect people’s dignity.”

Taylor kissed his husband before answering, “and the people agree with you, that’s why they voted for you. That’s why we’re here.”

 
 
The following week was a chaotic blur. Between addressing the domestic problems caused by banning AI and pressuring the undecided nations to sanction Operation Nova, everyone in the White House was going full throttle.

The frenzy was worth it though. Already tens of millions of people had been able to return to work. Sure, the UBI covered all their necessities, but being able to get a well paying job would really help them get ahead. And the satisfaction of contributing to society could not be simulated in virtual reality.

Even better, thanks to some last minute negotiations, President Stone and Ambassador Parsons were able to gain over 80% approval for Operation Nova. It assured President Stone his dream of a world for people run by people was inevitable.

If President Stone had any doubts, they vanished when he heard the President of the UN Security Council say, “With a vote of 171 in favor, Resolution 4377, has achieved the necessary support to pass. The security council hereby authorizes the limited use of Nova to neutralize the international terrorist known as Kaleb Kardashev and his conspirators.”

up
107 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Edited Comment:

Aurum's picture

Of every character I’ve ever written, President Stone found his voice the easiest. He was supposed to be an analogue to Trump, but along the way, this character found his voice. Although my plan fell through, I believe it was for the best.

1/2 chapters will take place from President Stone’s perspective. They will only happen about every 3-5 chapters. If you aren’t interested you can skip them and just follow Kaleb’s adventure.

P.S. this was the prologue for about 12hrs. Since I realized he’d be returning I went ahead and made it a half chapter. It also makes it easier for you all to read it at the ideal time in the story. Thanks for your understanding.

The idea for x.5 chapters is very good :-)

And yes, characters often develop in ways the writer hasn't anticipated or desired - or even move there before the story could start.

My only concern about the President Stone is that he is trying to become a stock villain. Giving him some human weaknesses might prevent this, especially if there are some good traits too. Not even Trump is completely villainous. :)

Stock villain

Aurum's picture

Thank you for the feedback. I love your comments, they inspire me to keep going and try harder

Your comment did take the wind out of my sails though. I’m trying to use him to have the other side of the AI debate. i.e. preventing people from just being pets with no real purpose, preventing possible AI genocide, losing self worth and not being able to get ahead because there are no jobs, etc. Of course, only getting 15% of the time will make it hard for him to win that debate.

Granted, at first he was going to be a stock villain, but I thought this did a good job of making him more. Guess I’ll just have to try harder for chapter 6.5 or 7.5 (not sure exactly where it’ll go).

Again, thank you for your comment, I believe the next half chapter will be a lot better because of it.

Re: Stock villain

Having Stone support that position is perfectly OK, and does not make him a stock villain. He could become that, if he doesn't actually believe that AI is dangerous, but only uses that notion to sow discord between people and grab more power. However, if he is actually concerned of the unity and the wellbeing of all people and really believes that AI is dangerous, you get a President who can be ready to take extreme measures, but also is not really a villain. He does not have to convince the reader that he is right - he has to convince the reader that he actually cares for the people and not for himself only.

There are myriads of ways to show that. I believe that you can think of better ones than I can suggest. :)

Thanks for the support!

Aurum's picture

I had come up with a rough outline of his next chapter before I read your first comment. I've definitely decided to rework it to better capture President Stone's beliefs. In the meantime, I've started working on chapter 4 and hope I can finish it by the 4th. Whenever it comes together chapter 5 should follow within a day.

First Gentleman. Ha! Well done.

I had given some thought to what Mayor Pete's husband would have been called had he made it to the White House. Now I know the answer. Good choice.
Seriously though I'm really enjoying this story and appreciated this background filler. Please continue this story.
Thanks,
Kay