Kronos Lore

Printer-friendly version
Kronos.jpg
Kronos

by Aurum

Copyright © 2020 Aurum
All Rights Reserved.

Authors Note: This document is totally unnecessary to the story, however, if you'd like some extra explanation of some of the concepts mentioned then this may be for you. If you enjoy thinking about these kinds of objects, then you may love Isaac Arthur's YouTube channel, I know I do. This is a living document so I'll add more as it becomes relevant or I think it'll be added in the future. This is just a moderately edited glossary for now, but I may add a lore section as the world becomes fleshed out or I think it's relevant.


Glossary

  • Active Support - imagine a piece of paper floating over an air vent. Active support involves shooting particles to keep an object held up. The advantage of active support is that it allows you to build towers and rails much taller and longer than would otherwise be possible. Every material has a compressive force that limits how high it can be stacked and a tensile force that limits how long it can be stretched without breaking, but active support can exceed this by an order of magnitude.
  • Atlas Pillar - these are massive towers that stretch 100km high. At this height they reach just beyond the Karman Line, which is where space begins. Technically this would count as a marginally useful space elevator. Each tower is made of graphene and uses active support to keep from collapsing. The support is powered by a molten-salt fission reactor and a helium-3 fusion generator powers the lift. For safety reasons, the tower can be broken with small explosives into 10km segments with massive parachutes capable of reducing its fall rate to safe crash speeds.
  • Atlas Launch System (ALS) - this is a massive structure stretching 1,300km (808mi). It is comprised of seven Atlas Pillars separated by 185km (115mi) each. While not powering the lift the helium-3 fusion generators store energy is massive supercapacitor banks that allow the rail to accelerate a 50 metric-ton payload to orbital speeds. The max acceleration rate of the rail is 2.5g for 318 seconds. This allows the shuttle to reach a max speed of 7.79km/s (17,425mph). Although it is mildly uncomfortable, even an untrained person can handle it without issue. During the last 70km the sled undergoes 50g deceleration to come back to a stop, obviously no human could withstand the massive deceleration. For those wondering, the sled is powered via magnetic levitation like the bullet trains of the 21st century. Currently there is only one in existence, which starts in Atlas, AZ (50mi SE of Phoenix) and ends in Weatherford, TX (60mi west of Dallas).
  • Centripetal Force - this is a simulation of gravity that occurs from spinning an object. This is not gravity creation like is seen in most space operas, but a real force like the fair ride that pulls you against the walls as it spins around. Although there are some differences between it and gravity, it is sufficiently similar in most activities. Differences include the path of a falling object relative to the ground and the rate at which “gravity” changes as you move from the floor. Past that, the main consideration is that while gravity pulls you in, for example you’re being pulled towards the center of the Earth, centripetal force (spin gravity) pulls you out. While experiencing centripetal force, you are actually being pulled towards the outermost wall relative to the center of spin.
  • Delta-V - a measure of how much a spacecraft can change its velocity. A higher delta-v generally allows a rocket to burn longer and achieve a higher final velocity. Note that on many voyages nearly half of the delta-v is required for slowing down, although sometimes it is possible to save fuel by using orbital slingshots to accelerate and decelerate. Another consideration for scientists is how the weight affects delta-v, including the weight of the fuel burned during the earlier maneuvers.
  • Direct Fusion Drive - the direct fusion drive is a real theoretical drive that funnels the emissions from a fusion reactor through an exhaust nozzle. It does not depend on heating a propellant like ion drives or hybrid designs, however it still consumes fuel in the fusion reaction. Most designs use a combination of Helium-3 and Deuterium and can achieve up to 10 Newtons of thrust per MW of power. Within Kronos, the KATS shuttle uses the same fusion fuel, but can achieve 25 Newtons of thrust and produce 500 MW of power. I’m assuming the designs within this universe have improved dramatically without reaching physics breaking levels. If I’m wrong let me know, I’m not a physicist, but am doing my best to respect science.
  • Fission - this is the act of taking a heavy particle, specifically uranium for the ones used at the Atlas Pillar, and starting a chain reaction that turns it into lighter particles. The reaction releases massive amounts of energy compared to conventional power plants. The advantage of fission over fusion is that it is easier to sustain a reaction for years, preventing downtime.
  • Fusion - this is the act of taking a light particle and turning it into heavier particles. Although this is the ideal form of power generation, there are inevitable downtimes when the reaction simply cannot be sustained. Fusion is how the sun produces light and energy, but the methods humans use reach significantly higher temperatures since they don’t have all that mass to help. Fusion generators are broadly broken into two methods via the fuel they use. On the ground large deuterium generators are preferred since deuterium is relatively abundant in Earth's oceans. On space stations and spaceships helium-3 generators are preferred since it allows for direct fusion drives to accelerate the ship. Higher class models can produce 25 Newtons of thrust for every MW of power. Commercial fusion generators typically use the magnetized target fusion (MTF) approach, although some older models still operate with an inertial electrostatic confinement (IEC) system.
  • Fusion Fuel - the fuel used in fusion generators. Although people are still working on building a viable fusion generator that runs on plain hydrogen, the most abundant element in the universe, it still has yet to be done. Currently the two main methods are helium-3, which is a stable isotope of helium with only one neutron. It is relatively abundant on Earth and very abundant on the moon and gas giants. Deuterium is a stable hydrogen isotope with a neutron, whereas plain hydrogen only has a proton and an electron. It is also reasonably abundant on Earth, accounting for 0.02% of the naturally occurring hydrogen in the oceans.
  • Gravity in Space - there are only two known ways to produce gravity in space. As mentioned above, centripetal force can closely approximate gravity through the spinning of an object. The other alternative is a gravitational force caused by acceleration. Note, going very quickly does not generate any gravitational effects whatsoever. However, accelerating or decelerating produces the apparent affects of gravity. If a ship were to accelerate at 9.81m/s2, then everything inside would experience Earth normal gravity, accelerating at 1.62m/s2 would produce Moon normal gravity. This affect would only remain as long as the ship continued accelerating or decelerating, the moment it starts coasting this apparent gravity would disappear.
  • Matrioshka Brain - this is a massive superstructure that fully encompasses a star. The design typically incorporates trillions of orbital structures that form a swarm around the star, absorbing all its light to have unfathomable amounts of computing power. What’s more, since this first shell of orbital supercomputers will emit waste heat, another swarm can be built around them, absorbing their heat to run calculations more efficiently. As more and more shells of supercomputers are built, each running on less energy, but processing information more efficiently the calculations the Matioshka Brain can run grows exponentially. In theory, these shells could be built thousands of levels thick until the outermost shell is absorbing energy only slightly above the background temperature of the universe. Note: this is not reversible computing, energy is used at each level to flip the bits, but it is extremely efficient recycling of the waste heat produced from that process.
  • O’Neill Cylinder - this is a large cylinder the spins to produce centripetal force (spin gravity). Unlike in fiction, a couple important considerations are that the walls towards the edges would not be capped with flat disks but cones since they provide greater structural integrity. In most cases, these caps would be decorated to appear as large mountains on the inside. What’s interesting about these mountains are that as you climbed it, the apparent gravity would decrease while the air pressure would remain constant; that’s basically the complete opposite of mountains on Earth, where gravity remains constant while air pressure decreases. Another big difference between O’Neill cylinders and what you often see in fiction is that the outermost wall would probably be inside a rocky body like an asteroid. This would greatly enhance protection from small micro-meteors and radiation. Although this isn’t a requirement, you can assume all of the ones in this universe are built like such unless stated otherwise. Something else to note is that if steps were not taken, you’d be able to see the ground above you instead of the sky. People didn’t like that so inside most O’Neill cylinders there is a second cylinder that spins in the opposite direction. This does two things, one it helps the O’Neill cylinder be more stable in space, preventing it from turning end over end, second it allows large screens to simulate the sky and clouds preventing anxiety. O’Neill cylinders range from 500m (1,600ft) in diameter to 10km (6.2mi) depending on it’s needs. The length of an O’Neill Cylinder can be however long is desired (within reason), but most range from 1km (0.62mi) to 50km (31mi). The only entrances into an O’Neill cylinder are at both cone caps, which also happens to experience almost no centripetal force (spin gravity).
  • Quantum Thermal Fluctuations - at absolute zero all classical temperature fluctuations stop, but due to the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle, quantum fluctuations will continue to occur. Therefore, even at absolute zero, and definitely at a microKelvin above that, quantum particles will continue to behave randomly. Thus, even with a perfect measuring device, it is impossible to know the complete, precise information about quantum particles no matter how cold it is.
  • Solar Sail - a method of space propulsion that requires no propellant. By having a large foil absorb or reflect light emitted by stars the spacecraft can travel away from a star. Most foils reflect light since that provides more momentum for the same surface area. Limitations of this propulsion method are that it becomes less effective the further it is from the sun. Anything further than Jupiter requires massive sails to produce even small amounts of thrust. By pitching the foil it can travel at various angles, it can even approach the sun by angling the sail so it’s accelerating against it’s orbital direction.
  • Supercapacitor - this is the holy grail of energy storage. A capacitor is cable of storing massive amounts of energy and even charging quickly, but it must also discharge quickly. A battery is capable of storing less electricity and charges much more slowly than a capacitor, but is capable of releasing its charge as slow as needed. A supercapacitor combines the best aspects of each and even deteriorates more slowly. Current supercapacitors are built with carbon fiber and metal oxides including titanium dioxide and polyaniline.
  • Torchdrive - is a powerful rocket with a high delta-v. Most rocket engines of the 21st century fall into one of two camps. Either they have low thrust but a high delta-v since they're very fuel efficient, or they provide high thrust but have a low delta-v since they burn fuel so quickly. Currently, the direct fusion drives are the closest thing. On KATS 50 metric-ton shuttles, the reactor can produce 500Mw of power and accelerate at 0.25 m/s2 or 0.025g.
up
36 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

When you want to be lazy...

Aurum's picture

I'm about to get on with chapter two, but felt like writing this. Maybe I was being lazy or maybe it'll help you. Anyways, don't be scared by this, as stated it is totally unnecessary to the story. Everything will be described with enough imagery to imagine it and understand it's purpose without getting bogged down in details like this. Honestly, that's probably why I wrote this, so I'm not tempted to go into details most people don't care about while I'm writing the story. Thanks for putting up with my rambling :P

I Think You Mean....

>> helium-3, which is a stable isotope of helium with an extra proton <<

He 3 has a single neutron; He 4, the most common form, has 2 neutrons; both have 2 protons. He with an extra proton would be some isotope of Li, lithium.

Hugs and Bright Blessings,
Renee

Good catch

Aurum's picture

I double-checked and you’re correct. The fusion fuel section has been updated to show the correct information. Thanks for catching my error :D

Solar Sail

Actually, a solar sail can be used to drive in the direction of the Sun.

If you are somewhere around the Sun, chances are that you are orbiting it - that is, you have some orbital velocity. Decreasing that is bound to bring you closer to the Sun.

Imagine now that you use a solar sail to reflect the light in the direction of your rotation. That will inevitably slow your rotation, and thus will eventually bring you closer to the Sun.

(No energy is wasted. The Sun rays you reflect will gain a bit of energy from decreasing your orbital speed. Since they already move with the speed of light, this will only give them a tiny bit of blue shift. :) )

Brilliant

Aurum's picture

It’d been so long since I read about solar sails I couldn’t remember. What you’re describing is like tacking on a sail boat. As much KSP (Kerbal Space Program) as I’ve played I should have figured that out.

Thank you, solar sail section has been updated.

Arcologies and Santa Claus machines

You probably aren't mentioning arcologies in your story, but they are valuable not only as a way of accommodating a bunch of people comfortably or luxuriously, but they are a good way to develop technology that will be used in O'Neill cylinders.

Think of a huge skyscraper type building with its own power supply, manufacturing facilities, food growing facilities, and the like. Put all of the utility stuff underground and give the inhabitants luxurious apartments that have a glorious view of the forest or beach or whatever is outside.

A Santa Claus machine makes a wide variety of goods, including food. Part of the system takes used items and garbage and reprocesses it back into raw materials.

The devil is in the details, of course.

The POV character in my Sweet Sixteen stories lives in an arcology.

By the way, a slight correction about capacitors:

Ultracapacitors and supercapacitors are all a subset of the same thing -- capacitors. The difference is the size. We electronics types always said that a farad capacitor is impossibly large. As of some time in the eighties, that is no longer the case.

But anyhow, capacitors can discharge as slowly as you like. They can also charge and discharge as a whole lot more quickly than a chemical battery. Their charge/discharge current is limited only by the plates and the conductors attaching the thing to whatever is charging it or whatever it is powering. Also, they have an unlimited number of charge cycles.

While the capacitance (capacity) of them has grown tremendously, they still don't have the power density of a lithium ion battery. When they get there, chemical batteries will become obsolete.

Thanks for the comment

Aurum's picture

Thanks for your feedback. I need to do more research on capacitors, I don’t understand what’s meant by “rapid voltage discharge”. Is that just because of the applications we use them for today? As for the points you raised, I included bullets to make it easier.

  • Arcologies: I’m aware and have been thinking about adding an additional perspective character to the main storyline to show life on an O’Neill Cylinder and Earth, as well as handling some plot points. Vertical farming would definitely be happening & with active support they could build large enough buildings. If anything, it’d be the elevator problem with excessively tall buildings holding them back. I’ll put some more thought into it.
  • Santa Clause Machine: I’m not going to include them because we can’t build them anytime soon to the extent of my knowledge. 3D Printers would run into heat issues if they operated at rapid rates, elemental exchange would be extremely power demanding for even a Type 1 Kardashev civilization (probably need to be type 1.2+) and this is taking place at about Kardashev 0.9-1.0, but I am going to touch on some good but not perfect recycling & 3d printing.
  • Capacitors/Supercapacitors: maybe I don’t have a good understanding of what is meant by rapid volatage discharge with normal capacitors, but I thought that meant they had to release their energy quickly. I know Eesha Khare made a supercapacitor to replace cell batteries back in 2013, although I have no idea why they aren’t used today. I assumed it was just too expensive to mass manufacture them.

Capacitors

Capacitors are essentially two plates positioned really close to each other. The energy is stored in the electric field between the plates. They are used in electronics for various things, like tuned circuits, allowing AC to pass while blocking DC, filtering DC, and the like. All of that happens because they store an electric charge directly. It is only recently that they got big enough to actually store enough electricity to operate a flashlight, let alone a car or gauss gun.

Chemical batteries store their energy chemically. The problem is that they essentially rust and un-rust theelectrodes, or some very similar process. Things tend to wear out and get misshapen. This limits the number of charge/discharge cycles. Also, they aren't 100% efficient, and all of the wasted energy is turned into heat, and the chemical reactions themselves take time. This limits the speed at which they can be charged and discharged.

With a capacitor, there is no chemical conversion process. The energy is stored directly as static electricity. Things still aren't perfect, but the losses are extremely low. Since they are not (currently) made out of superconductors, you get a little loss due to the resistance. Some dielectrics (the stuff between the plates) aren't perfect insulators, so there might be some leakage -- the capacitor will slowly discharge itself. A third loss mode happens at really high frequencies -- into the megahertz and above. Moving the electrons around in the dielectric really rapidly will heat it. This is important in radio circuits, but not in capacitors used as batteries.

If you want to play with the math, I can give you a couple of equations.

You might notice that batteries are rated in amp-hours or watt-hours or kilowatt-hours (for car-sized batteries.)

A coulomb is an amp-second.
A joule is a watt-second.
Capacitors are rated in farads. The capacitors used in electronic circuits are generally in the micro farad or pico farad range. Super capacitors can be up in the thousands of farads, but generally will only handle a volt or two. If you google super capacitor, you can see what ratings are available and how much they cost.

The charge in a capacitor, in coulombs, is q = C * V
Since the capacitor's voltage drops in a decaying exponential, the energy stored is less than you might expect.
w = C * V^2 / 2

C = capacitance in farads
V = voltage in volts
q = charge in coulombs
w = work (energy) in joules

Like I said, our current crop isn't cheap enough or energy dense enough to be practical for cars. On the other hand, if you want to create an EMP or fire a gauss (coil or rail) gun, you need to use capacitors in order to dump massive current really rapidly. The navy's rail guns use a really huge bank of capacitors.

Thank you,

Aurum's picture

I’ll update the section when I get some spare time at work. That all made a lot of sense.