Not What We Expected - 07

Printer-friendly version
NotExpected 07
NWWE2.jpg

Not What We Expected

by Tiffany B. Quinn

The incoming text read: "Looking forward to lunch, sweetheart. We have reservations at Sullivan's for noon. Wear something nice but sexy. Please. We will find a way through this, I promise. Love you forever. XOXO"

The message was from Tom and it was more intimate that I would have expected.

Scrolling through her messages, I saw that this wasn’t the first such text. Her replies were equally as intimate.

Sandra hadn't said anything to me about seeing Tom regularly again outside the office.

Chapter 7

After reading the text from Tom, I quietly left early for work before Sandra got out of the bathroom. I left Sandra a note saying that something came up at work and they called me in early.

I had a heavy heart and needed to think about what to do. I knew that this day was coming, but I had hoped that Sandra would have been more open about it. After all, we had recently talked about this possibility.

As it turned out, the day was going to go downhill from there. It was not to be a good day.

I got to work about half an hour earlier than usual. My supervisor was already there.

"Hey Andy," My boss called to me as I walked past his office on the way to my desk. "Can I see you in my office for a few minutes?"

"Sure," I replied waving my day pack at him, "I'll be there after I drop this at my desk."

After dropping my bag off at my work station, I wandered over the boss's office.

"What's up Boss Man?" I ask in a friendly greeting.

The look on his face told me that this was not going to be a good conversation. He motioned me to sit in a chair.

"Look Andy," he said uncomfortably, getting right to the point. "There is no easy way to say this. You are one of our best techs, but I have to let you go."

"What's up with that?" I asked, feeling as if the world just got jerked out from under me.

"You know that the budget is tight and it is no secret that we're going to have to let someone go," He told me. "Your usefulness is not what it used to be, what with your changes and all. I can't send you out on service calls any more because you look like a 14 year old kid and I get lots of complaints about that."

"But my work is good," I asked, "Isn't it?"

"The best," he agreed, "but that doesn't seem to matter. No one seems to want a kid working on their computers. The higher ups have been getting complaints as well. They want to let you go on the grounds that you are no longer suited to the job."

I sighed in resignation. I had had a feeling that this day was coming.

“And, I gather,” I pointed out, “there are more than a few people who are uncomfortable with my transition.”

He squirmed a little in response to that fact, “I can’t comment on that. Look, Andy, we all know that it’s not your fault. We seen you almost everyday and have witnessed the changes. We know that it’s not what you wanted and that it’s been hard on you.”

I didn’t know what to say.

"Off the record, you know that you don't belong here anyway." He tried to soften the blow. "You have much more potential than is needed for this job. You should have completed the computer engineering program years ago. Your talents are wasted here. I bet that if you had gone after that degree you'd have graduated at the top of the class and would now be making waves in some research facility and with a ridiculously high salary. Maybe this will kick you in the right direction. Someone or something should have done that long ago. You can do much better in life than what this job offers. That's my personal opinion.”

Getting back to the business at hand, he continued, "I've been authorized to offer you four weeks severance pay if you sign this agreement not to sue us for letting you go," He told me as he slid some paperwork across his desk. "And I am just about done writing you a glowing letter of recommendation for another job. I had hoped to have it done before you got here."

"I'll sign the agreement if you get them to extend the offer to three months with health coverage and they make sure that this is characterized as a layoff and not a firing," I told him, "otherwise I will take it up with legal counsel and see if I can get a settlement for wrongful termination. That will cost you a lot more."

He sighed. "I'm in your corner kid. I like you. Let me see what I can do. Those lazy stiffs in HR should be into their offices soon."

In the end the human resources people and administration rolled over quickly and gave me the health coverage to go along with three month's salary. I had the feeling that they expected a counter offer and were ready for it. Maybe I should have asked for more. I had my office cleaned out and a signed agreement in hand by the time I needed to leave for a 10:30 AM appointment with my doctor.

As I cleaned out my desk, several of my coworkers stopped by to express their condolences.

"This is harsh, dude... ah, dudette?" One guy said, obviously not sure how to address my changed physical condition. "I hope that you find something soon. I know that a couple of companies in town are looking for people. You should do fine."

"It's because you are one of us now," one young woman whispered to me. "Women always get the short end of the stick. We figured that one of us would be let go, but not you. You used to be one of them."

"Maybe that's why," the other woman with her quietly added. "Maybe he got let go because he switched sides. You should sue them."

It was good to know that most of my coworkers appreciated me being part of the team. My layoff seemed to take pressure off everyone else. While some were sorry to see my go, they each were glad that it wasn't them.

----<0>----

The news from the Doctor just added to the day’s despair.

"Well, Andy," the Doctor started out as she breezed into the exam room. "Your latest blood tests show that your chromosomes are all now XX. Welcome to the world of women. You are now female."

"Almost," I sighed as I sat on the exam table. "I'm still missing a few parts."

"Let's take a look at that," she said as she started her weekly exam.

"Ah, finally," she said as she checked out my chest. "You are exhibiting the first signs of breast development. Check it out."

She told me what to look for as I felt my chest.

After completing the exam, she said, "As you know, you are still missing a vaginal opening, breasts and feminine skeletal system. Your latest ultrasound would indicate that your testicles have almost ascended to where ovaries would be in a girl. You are missing the rest of the internal plumbing of a woman but there is a hint of change in the images.

"If I were a betting woman, I would wager that these other characteristics will sort themselves out with time. The trend towards total transition seems to be continuing.

"Regardless of the missing elements, you have the appearance of an awkward 14 year old mostly girl.

"I talked with your psychologist yesterday to compare notes. She thinks that you are handling this well."

"I am trying," I said while trying to fight back tears.

"What's wrong, hon?" the Doctor asked with concern.

"It's been a hard morning," I told her.

She patted me on the knee. "You are a tough cookie. Hang in there."

A psychologist she isn't.

"Why don't you get dressed while I finish up a letter certifying that you are now a genetic female. You should be able to use the letter to start changing your records."

She bustled out. While I got dressed, I thought about how I knew that this day was coming but, given the day's events, the definitive news of my new gender felt like another nail in my coffin.

I was back out on the street by 11:30 AM with a letter from the doctor testifying to the fact that I am now genetically female through processes unknown and should be considered female from now on in all legal arenas. She also gave me a referral to a gynecologist who she had been consulting with about my case and who was anxious to meet me.

It was going to be hard to make lemonade out the events of this day. Getting hit with a hat trick of depressing news in one morning is tough to take. As I thought about the situation, it was clear to me that it was about time that I get proactive and take back some control.

As I left the doctor’s office, I decided to crash Sandra's little lunch tryst, but first I needed to do something that I had not hitherto done.

I stopped in an upscale women's clothing store and bought a nice dress appropriate for a 14 year old girl (think mid thigh length), black patterned tights, and a pair of stylish ankle boots with a moderate heel. I bought a matching bikini panty and lacy bra to add a little sexiness to the feel. On a whim I bought a necklace with matching clip on earrings. I decided that I needed to more fully embrace my new gender to do what I intended at the restaurant. I couldn’t do much with my relatively short hair, but I looked good anyway after some help from one of the sales girls who basically messed it up and sprayed it with hairspray. The sales lady called me cute as she helped me prepare myself for my big unveiling, but then again, she was happy with the commission so she'd probably call a cow cute. She talked me into purchasing some mascara and lipstick, which she also applied for me when I told her that I was in a hurry and didn't have any experience with makeup. I also picked up a small purse to carry the makeup, my cell phone, and my wallet in. She did throw in a small bottle of perfume as part of the deal. I didn't have time for a full makeover.

I was as ready as I could be given the short notice.

Arriving at Sullivan's at 12:45 PM, I told the Maitre d' who I was looking for and that I had an urgent message for them. He knew exactly who I was looking for. Apparently they were regulars. He took me to their secluded booth. Sandra's back was to me as I approached. Tom briefly looked up from the obviously intense conversation that he was having with Sandra but did not recognize me wearing the dress. In that brief moment he actually gave me an appreciative look which bolstered my confidence. I did notice that Tom seemed more handsome than when I'd first met him. He was looking fitter. He was also wearing nicer clothes. He was no longer looking like the geeky engineer that I had met six months ago. I actually found him to be very handsome.

I waved off the Maitre d' and approached the table where the very loving couple were holding hands across the table with nearly empty plates pushed aside.

"Hello BFF," I said when I arrived behind Sandra at the booth. "You look delectable in that dress." She had complied with his text request and had worn something especially nice that day. It was the sexy dress that we had purchased on our shopping trip.

Sandra spun about in shock, letting go of Tom's hands.

"What are you doing here?" She almost shrieked. I was pleased that I had pulled off a perfect surprise attack. It would keep her off balance for a few minutes. Long enough for me to say what I had to say.

"I just thought I'd drop in and bring you two up to speed on my latest developments." I said, maybe a little too coldly as I slid into the booth next to Sandra, smoothing the skirt of my dress under me and remembering to keep my knees together.

I picked up Sandra's fork and ate the last bite of broiled salmon that she had left on her plate. It was sufficient for lunch as my appetite was still AWOL.

"That's really good," I commented.

"Who are you?" asked a somewhat protective Tom who still didn't get the message.

"I believe that we've met before," I told him, extending my hand for a shake, "My name is Andy and I am married to this beautiful woman."

They both just stared at me, obviously gathering their thoughts.

"I will avoid the obvious questions and save you the pain of coming up with explanations," I began. "I just want to share with you a few recent developments in my life that neither of you know about. They might just help with your dilemma."

They still had nothing to say, but there were guilty looks on both faces.

"To start with," I continued, "I was laid off today. Something about needing to reduce expenses. I suspect that some of the higher ups also think that I am a poor fit for the job, given my apparent age and gender confusion. The good news is that I managed to negotiate a great severance package."

Sandra finally found her voice again. "No! They can't do that!"

"They did," I informed her, "and I signed an agreement to not sue them in exchange for the aforementioned severance package. But the fun doesn't stop there."

"What else?" asked Tom warily.

"I had another doctor's appointment this morning," I went on, "and it seems that I am now the proud possessor of a full set of XX chromosomes. I am a girl! I am still missing some of the parts that a normal girl has, but the chromosomes define me as female. Do I want to be a girl? Not really, but somehow it doesn't really bother me. I suspect that is part of the magic."

"But Grandma says that her magic can only affect the physical, not mental or emotional." Tom reminded us.

I just shrugged.

I was starting to think that the physical can have a big impact on the mental and emotional.

Turning to Sandra, I continued "The fact that I am now female has rendered me unable to perform my duties as the husband that you married. We both have known for sometime that I can no longer continue to be your husband once I become a girl. It is obvious that you have already started developing a new romantic relationship with Tom. I do not wish to stand in the way of your happiness so I think it best if we consider a dissolutionment at the earliest opportunity. We can discuss this further at home tonight. Once that takes place, then you and Tom can be more open about your relationship. I have to say that I am very disappointed that my BFF wouldn't have been a bit more open with me about her new love. We have even talked about this eventuality. New love is, after all, quite exciting and is usually shared with close girlfriends."

Turning to Tom, I said "I am a true believer in your grandmother's magic. Whether or not you willingly consented to her devious plan, you are now obviously about to take my place as Sandra's husband. I think that you've had designs on my wife ever since you met her but I can’t prove that."

He started to protest, but I just raised my hand in a stop gesture and continued, "I don't know how far you two have taken your relationship, or for how long, but that will no longer be my problem after the dissolutionment. Tom, you might as well ask me for her hand in marriage as her father gave it to me when we were married and I still have a right to it for a little while yet. I will give you my blessing. In fact, I encourage you to propose marriage to her after I leave, if you haven't already. In fact, I will take this," I grabbed their lunch bill, "and pay this in way of an engagement gift for my BFF. Don't forget to get her an engagement ring before you go back to the office. There is a great jeweler's right next door."

Turning back to Sandra, I asked "May I please have your wedding ring? You will be getting a new one soon, I think, and this one would only get in the way of your new engagement ring. I'll give you back mine when you get home. It quit fitting a couple of months ago so I don't wear it any more." She held out her hand tentatively and I slipped the ring off her finger. On a whim, I slipped it onto my ring finger. It fit.

"Oh, and I really liked helping you pick out that dress last week," I observed as I stood up, smoothing down my dress, in preparation for leaving, "I knew that you wanted to look sexy, I just wasn't bright enough to figure out that it was for Tom."

Turning to Tom, I decided to embarrass Sandra, "You should talk her into taking that dress off. The bustier, stockings, and g-string that we bought to go with it are quite naughty. I'd bet a week's salary that she is currently wearing them. They would really get your motor running, if it isn't already. A girl has to dress sexily from the skin out if she really wants to really feel sexy."

I quickly turned away and walked out before they could see my watering eyes. I left stunned silence behind me, paying their rather expensive lunch bill on my way out of the restaurant.

I felt an unexpected wave of relief wash over me as I reached the sidewalk outside the restaurant. Hopefully we had exorcised that particular elephant forever. I just hoped that Sandra could now move forward without so much guilt. I also felt a new sense of freedom.

Sighing, I knew what I needed to do next.

I dug into my wallet and extracted a note with the name and address of a lawyer that my psychologist had recommended to me. She was experienced at handling the legal affairs of transitioning transsexuals. I hoped that she handled divorces as well.

I called the number on the note and was told that, due to a last minute cancelation, that she could see me in about half an hour.

I went straight to the lawyer's office from the restaurant. She said that she could handle the dissolution as well as the other legal issues. By the time I reached home, I had a draft set of dissolution papers, and a petition to legally recognize me as a genetic female and to change my name to Andrea Marie. I had decided to go by Andi. It should make things easier interacting with people that knew me. She also told me how to go about getting an updated birth certificate, drivers license, Social Security card, and other official documents. The lawyer was disappointed that I’d signed an agreement with the University. She would’ve really liked to have sued them for me. She let me know that it would take a couple of months to make the dissolution final. Things must be done in order and the wheels of justice turn slowly. We would start on the dissolution then go about the name and gender changes. All this seemed to fall in place as if it was supposed to be. At least something went right that day. Like all the other professionals that I've worked with, she was really intrigued by my case but restrained herself to sticking to the pertinent facts. The formal letter from my doctor certifying my spontaneous gender change was a first for her. I know that she was bursting with questions. A few months later, as we concluded the various pieces of legal work, she did finally break down and ask me what it was like and what not.

After talking with the lawyer, I just needed to break the news to my family and friends. But that would wait until after my upcoming discussion with Sandra that evening.

The third trimester of my obvious nine month transition had started out with a bang, so to speak.

The middle third of the crystal was still blue, but it was surrounded by pink much like a wagon train circled by attacking Indians in an old Western movie. Somehow, I didn't think that the Cavalry would arrive in time to save the blue.

 

up
202 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Wow! What a Chapter!

In my opinion, a fiery motivated chapter! Wow! Talking about the other shoe dropping! I feel that that there were 3 strikes against Andy that morning! My perception is that tension had been building ,since the chapter 1 flash forward ended and the tension released it all in one fell swoop! Wow! Is this what happens when a coarse threaded bolt becomes a fine threaded nut?

In my opinion Sandra will see the love expressed by Andrea's unselfish act. I feel that Andrea's frankness and forgiveness for Tom has cleared the way for a better relationship between them as well. In fact the only one that Andrea has malice for is Grandmother Broussard whose magic has disrupted three lives.

In my opinion, Andrea is going on inertia as being male and she lets go of the fiction of being male finally upon learning of her XX chromosomes. However, she is also going on inertia as being 31 (correction 32. Thanks, Tiff) but she did not take the wake up call that she is physically 14.

Darn, girl! No punches pulled on this one! Andrea pulled the band-aids off, on Tom and Sandra's relationship, which was needed! Now Andrea needs her own wake up call, before Andrea can start healing.

Wow what a chapter! Tiff, you really surprised me with this one! I wait with anticipation the next chapter! More, please!

All my hopes,
Sasha Zarya Nexus

All my hopes
Sasha Zarya Nexus

FYI... Andy is 32 in this chapter

TiffQ's picture

He had a birthday in December.

I am glad that you are enjoying the story. I am too.

Best, Tiff

Tiff Q

So You're Going With Ten Years...

...after the marriage that this whole sequence starts. OK, I guess.

I can stop thinking about magical time warps.

Eric

Coming right along...

I love how he she handled everything at the restaurant. It sent just the right message, and left them to continue their courting in the open.

I also like how she got busy and did all of the legal work that she needed to do, and how she got three months pay out of the deal.

Andi's boss is right. Getting kicked out of her comfort zone was the best thing for her. And the whole comfort zone thing definitely goes with her previous tendency to go around challenges.

Its going to be tough for

Its going to be tough for Andi to be around his ex after she was sneaking around behind his back.

Wow talk about a triple

Wow talk about a triple homicide! How many times can one person get stabbed in the back?
first Andy finds out his wife has been meeting with Tom behind his back for quite awhile, then he finds out that grandma has just about finished the job of eliminating him, then to top it off the university fires him with a lame excuse.

I'm afraid I wouldn't have been that nice he didn't ask nearly enough from the university at the very least he should have made sure that his degrees were transferred over to his new name, and he should have secured enough money for free tuition to whichever college she decides to go to, and he should have gotten at least a years pay for severance, it's not like she can just go out and get another job in the eyes of the law she Is now a minor and will have to go to school till 18 and will have to find somewhere to live with a legal guardian.

At this point I'm not seeing living with his ex as an option as Andy is feeling betrayed, personally I would be wondering how long has his ex been running around with Tom behind his back and if she was in on the plot to get rid of him.

Still a mystery

In my opinion it is unclear how Andrea and Sandra come to stay together, since Andrea has parents and a sister who have better claims than Sandra to be Andrea's new parent. I feel that with Andrea maintaining adult status, Andrea's birth family is likely to go along with whomever Andrea chooses to be her parents for her second childhood.

Of course I am very much looking forward to see where things will go in Andrea's continuing story. Tiff tells such a great story, with such compelling characters, that I am enjoying very much each new chapter. Tiff is a much better storyteller than I will ever be. I feel so blessed to be able to go on the journey that Tiff has for us. Thank you Tiff! More, please!

All my hopes,
Sasha Zarya Nexus

All my hopes
Sasha Zarya Nexus

"You're a tough cookie"

Iolanthe Portmanteaux's picture

Easy to say! That line struck me more than any other in this chapter.

Thanks for the new chapter!

- Io

Elephant in the room

Jamie Lee's picture

Which one? The one of Andie turning into a girl? Sandra badly wanting a child? The interest that developed between Sandra and Tom? Andie and Sandra did address all but the one about Tom, which Andie took care of on her own.

Getting laid off, fired, from the University because of age appearance has kept the University from coming under fire from the State and Feds. Because of the age Andie appears, the University could have had to fight Child Labor Laws, until it was explained the actual events. As to Andie suing the University, because she was told of budget cuts were the reason she was let go? She might have a case if she was not the last hired, which was never made clear. She did the smart thing by forcing the University to pay her much more than first offered. At least she got something in the bank instead of paying a lawyer to sue the University.

And will she take her ex-boss's suggestion to go back to school and become more than she was while working at the University? With all the documentation she has, getting into college may be tough but not impossible. Getting a new driver license? She better have every piece of documentation because they will never believe she is 30 something.

She has a bumpy road ahead of her but not an impassable one. Wonder what excuse Grandma will give when they meet?

Others have feelings too.