The Road to Haifa - Chapter 1

Printer-friendly version


The Road to Haifa
Chapter 1 — The Break
by Alyssa Plant
 
The mission brings about a breaking point in the life of David Yakobavitch of the Israeli Defence Forces

 


 

Chapter 1 - The Break

Corporal David Yakobavitch slowly let out his breath and adjusted his rifle; his breath forming a light mist in the cold morning air. He was high in the mountains that formed the Lebanese border with Israel.

The sentry stood quietly several hundred meters away in the rocky land, quietly watching the wrong direction, blissfully ignorant of David’s presence.

Pulling the trigger, David felt the rifle kick back into his shoulder as the .308 round left his barrel and hurtled towards its destination. Through his scope, David watched the sentry’s head dissolve into a fine red mist and his body slump to the floor, rifle clattering away.

A tear rolled down David’s cheek as he racked the bolt and silently prayed to god for his forgiveness. As much as he was an experienced sniper, David felt great remorse each time he killed a man. Each time he fired his rifle in anger, David was releasing a little of his personal pain onto another, and It only increased his guilt.

“That’s a kill,” whispered Corporal Ari Weismann; David’s spotter and best friend since he had joined the IDF.

“They’re moving in now, our job is done. Pack up!” David replied, efficiently hiding his pain. David swept a lock of hair from his eyes and hooking it over his ear, pushed himself to his knees lifting his rifle with him.

David and Ari had been supporting Special Ops missions for over a year now, and as such had been required to have appearances that blended in somewhat easier than the standard buzcut of the IDF infantry.

The two men began to make their way down the mountainside on the friendlier side of the border. “You were crying again,” Ari stated matter of factly as he scanned the horizon with his Tavor rifle.

“So? It’s a powerful thing shooting people,” David shot back quickly. ”You, of anyone, should know taking a life through a telescopic lens isn’t like regular combat, we see them, so close, so clear, they aren’t shooting back, I pray to god for my sin. Man is man, religion, nationality aside, I don’t want to kill them, but I have to, it’s a job we must do for our country.”

Ari snickered. “You really think about this too much, stop justifying yourself.” He looked around at David. “You okay?”

David nodded weakly and broke eye contact.

The two trudged on down the mountainside before stopping in the cover of some rock formations to rest.

“So when are you going to tell me what’s up David?” Ari said lighting a cigarette and taking a deep drag. He exhaled the smoke and looked at David, fixing him with one of those piercing stares that he was unnervingly good at. "I’m not blind, David,” he half whispered.

Sighing, David lifted his guillie suit hood from his head, and pulled his water bottle from the pouch to avoid replying to his best friend since childhood.

Ari looked at David with an amused expression on his face.

”What?” David asked defensively.

“It really surprises me how you’ve changed since we enlisted.” Ari chuckled. “You know I get asked so often in the mess how I got paired with a female sniper…”

David looked at Ari, unsure as how to respond. ”Um …” he said intelligently.

“Then again, I’m beginning to wonder if they are wrong,” Ari mentioned as he inhaled again.

David blushed. “Pass me a smoke, Ari!” David lamely tried to avoid the topic at hand.

Ari threw the pack to David. ”You know, you really suck at changing the topic.” Ari laughed.

Lighting his cigarette, David looked at the ground, the sky, and then eventually his spotter. “Yeah I know.”

“How long have we been friends David? 3? 4 years?”

“Coming on 5 now.” David recalled, drawing on his cigarette.

”I’d have thought that I would have been one of the few people you could talk to …” David could hear the accusation hanging in Ari's voice.

A tear trickled down David’s cheek as he looked away from Ari for a moment to collect himself. He'd never thought it would be like this. “They aren’t wrong.” David blurted before he had chance to back out.

Ari stopped mid-inhale and looked at David. “Yeah, thought as much.” He said as if nothing had been said.

David looked at his best friend for a moment. “You aren’t mad?” he asked meekly.

“No.” Ari said flatly. "To be honest, we have been best friends years, and if anyone knows you, I do, and you have not been like any of my male friends since we first knew each other.” He laughed, “Somehow, part of me always knew you were a girl.”

“You’re far too emotional to be a guy for one!” Ari chuckled, catching the cigarette pack David launched at him. “Plus, the only people who think you are a man are the ones reading the reports and orders…” Ari laughed again. “You really haven’t looked like a man since we enlisted and had buzz cuts … even then, it was questionable.”

David smiled. For as long as he could remember, he had felt that there was some great injustice. He wasn’t a boy…. He was a girl. It seemed nature had conspired with his parents to bring him into the world as a male child, something that caused David a great deal of pain.

David had been spared most of the effects of puberty that befell his friends. His tanned skin was not cursed by hair, and his fine, feminine features often lead to men making passes at him in bars, something he secretly relished.

Since joining Special Ops, and having the grooming restrictions of the infantry removed in the sake of blending in. David had grown his hair back to its former glory in his teens. His wavy brunette hair fell down to the middle of his back, and glistened in the sun. Worn in a low male ponytail when around superiors, David always wore his hair in a high bun in the field, like other female soldiers did. Something his best friend had clearly noticed.

Both nearing their 21st birthdays, the two had enlisted in the Israeli army at 18, at the wish of their parents; something that had caused David much conflict. Having his hair cut on the first day of training had nearly caused David to kill himself with the grief of receiving such a male haircut.

Ari grinned, “So my friend. It appears we have not been properly introduced. My name … is Corporal Ari Peter Weismann.” He smiled, extending his hand to David. “And you my dear?”

David felt foolish playing around with his friend while they sat wearing full guillie suits and carrying rifles, but he and Ari had never taken things seriously. ”Um, S … Sarah,” David stuttered. “My name is Sarah.” She blushed.

Ari pushed his rifle around his back and approached Sarah, pulling her into a crushing embrace.

It was more than she could take, and the whole situation forgotten, Sarah broke down sobbing. She had told another living soul about her existence. She was free now. The pressure that had built up over the years was too much to bear, and she cried.

Ari held his sobbing friend close as she cried. He had felt this for a long time. Almost as long as he had known her. Something felt right now, an error was corrected in their friendship. The girl he had known all these years had finally admitted it. He felt a strong sense of protectiveness towards his friend. “I’m here for you, you know that, right?” he whispered soothingly to the sobbing girl in his arms.

Sarah looked up at Ari with a deer in the headlights look on her face.

“Nobody will hurt you, you’re my best friend, they have to come through me first.”

Sarah hugged her friend tightly. She still couldn’t quite believe she had told him, but it all felt so right now.

Separating, the two realised they still had a job to do. Getting home…

Sniffing, Sarah looked over at Ari. “Thank you.” She whispered, hooking an errant lock behind her ear.

Looking over at his surprisingly beautiful friend, Ari shook his head smiling. "Nah, thank you … You trusted me. I feel honoured to be the friend of someone so brave … Even if you do cry when shooting Arabs” he laughed and ducked Sarah’s swipe.

Chapter 2 to come…..
Please comment!

up
132 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

This is really good

I absolutely love the way you do dialogue. It's clean, poignant and natural, just as it's supposed to be. Not so sure about the formatting -- I'd prefer to see it more tightly organized than so many lines split up, but I can't complain about the content.

Folks, this is an absolutely prime, Grade A example of how one does dialogue.

Aardvark

"Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony."

Mahatma Gandhi

"Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony."

Mahatma Gandhi

Nicely done

I agree this is very nicely written story. There are a lot of complicated issues here but they are treated as part of the background. The military, snipers, special operations, and all the moral questions that go with them. David/Sarah voice came across clearly as female and Ari's just as plainly as male. Well done.
hugs!
grover

PS: Under your categories you spelled military as militery. Considering how well written this is I can let you slide. :)

Poignant Story

...but I'm going to concur on the formatting. You break to new paragraphs far too often. I'm not sure what all the formal rules are, but when two people are speaking back and forth, it's usually customary to only break paragraphs when the other party starts speaking.

Good story!

Alyssa, I like the story concept. I don't see a problem with the way you
broke the dialogue. I agree that it's good, dialogue, by the way. I will
be waiting to see the next part. Thank you.

Sarah Lynn

This's got legs!

What an amazing beginning -

I really want to find out more about these characters. I agree, the dialog is very, very well done. The setting is....surprising, unique. How does Judaism deal with homosexuality and/or transgenderism - that's not something I've ever really thought about, tho I doubt there's one interpretation....

I'll be looking for chp. 2!

YW

He conquers who endures. ~ Persius

Interesting...

Though, I expect things to get really messy if that comes out into the open. From what I've read, the orthodox do not accept that transgenderism can exist. (I may be missunderstanding, and would like to be corrected if so.) But, if this is the case - I can see quite a number of conflicts Sarah will have to deal with.

Very interesting introduction too.

Annette

Secular State

The "Jewish State" is more secular than you'd expect. Their basic human rights law guarantees religious freedom. More than half of the population is either unobservant/secular ethnic Jews(35%), or non-Jewish/another religion (20%). Jews describing themselves as orthodox or ultraorthodox add up to less than 15% of the population.

One of the most famous transsexuals in the world appears to be an Israeli, Dana International, also known as Sharon Cohen. She won the Eurovision song contest in 1998, after being appointed to represent Israel over the objections of some Orthodox and Conservative Jews, and has had albums that went gold and platinum in Israel, where she also won the "Best Female Artist" award in 1994. She dropped out of sight for a bit after a couple of less successful albums in 2003, but was back at Eurovision in 2005, and one of her songs, sung this time by another artist is in the 2008 Eurovision contest.

As far as I can tell, LGBT rights in Israel aren't too bad, certainly better than the US. They actually have a national anti-discrimination law. The Orthodox make noise and complain about it, but nobody listens to them.

Racism acceptable here?

This is a well written story but I'm sorry to say that I find this line very offensive

“Even if you do cry when shooting Arabs” he laughed and ducked Sarah’s swipe.

If you don't think it's racist try substituting 'Blacks' or 'African-Americans' or even 'Jews' for the word 'Arabs'.

A non racist version might have, for example, the word 'the enemy' or 'Lebanese' instead of the word 'Arabs'.

Also isn't there a bit of a contradiction between the tolerance shown by Ari in accepting Sarah and his callous joke.

Racism, or realism?

laika's picture

Is the language in this story an endorsement of racism or a realistic portrayal of how the characters might talk? People in wartime don't always seek to be understanding and inclusivist toward them they're fighting. Sad but true. I'm not saying there isn't a lot of racism toward Arabs/Muslims around, there is, and it's very wrong. But fiction is not the place to address this*. Seems like if this story was really promoting racism it wouldn't have passed up the chance to portray the enemy as dirty jabbering maniacs. It avoided this.
That's just my impression, I could be wrong...
~~~hugs, Laika

.
[*I misspoke. Fiction can be a wonderful place to address the folly of various forms of bigotry,
IF that's the author's intent. But the idea of it being mandatory raises a chilling spectre...]

Pretty much a given

Soldiers dehumanize the enemy, it makes it easier to pull the trigger when you need to. Krauts, Nips, slant-eyes, slopeheads, ragheads, a reasonable human being has a hard time adjusting to the idea that killing is permitted, even encouraged. If you think of the enemy soldier as a human being just like you, it is even harder to do what is required of you. A sniper requires a special individual, one who can look closerly at his victim and take the other person out with millimeter precision.

After the invasion of France in 1944, when the Allies gained air superiority over much of Europe, fighters were often reassigned to attack ground targets. Pilots who had repeatedly faced terrible odds in the air time and again would return from a ground support mission gunning down enemy troops and refuse to fly again. They simply couldn't face killing the soldiers "up close and personal", so to speak.

KJT


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Racist?

I'm afraid that I don't understand. What is racist about calling an Arab, an Arab? It's a perfectly good term that Arabs use to describe themselves, a source of pride in the ME, and is used in context here. Besides, even if Ari used another, less complimentary term, it would still be okay with me if it rang more or less true in the story, such as in Huckleberry Finn, and was not done solely for its shock value -- and even then, I would consider it free speech, just in poor taste.

Naturally, Erin would have the last word on what is acceptable on her site, but as it's her site, it's her right.

Regards,

Aardvark

"Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony."

Mahatma Gandhi

"Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony."

Mahatma Gandhi

It's in context>

If I used a line spoken by a Red Neck, calling someone a Big Black Niger, I would be disappointed if some one felt that it reflected my take on African/ Americans.
I have been to Kenya and seen what heights Africans can attain. Our likely new president is a role model not only to the millions of Blacks in America, but ought to be to every other race here too.

Love ya Sis.

Gwen

A Good Start

joannebarbarella's picture

To a story with an unusual background and unusual skills for a transsexual. I like the depiction of Ari as a sensitive friend at one moment and a callous soldier the next, so human. But please do something about the formatting. I had to reread a few paragraphs to work out who was speaking and that is distracting (but I'll still read the next episode)
Hugs,
Joanne

Response

I prefer to refer to this method of formating as the 'caffeine' version. It was written quite late last night after i woke, and was rather, how should i put it? 'stimulated' at the time hehe.
As for the background, I'm a Jew, and Israel is one of my favorite settings for writing, trans or not (infact I've written very little trans fiction. I wanted to place a character in a new environment as far as the genre goes. Most trans fiction is either in the UK, or US, and predominantly civilian. As a young female who has suffered this, i know how it feels for the character in this situation, as my parents forced me to spend a year in the militery in the uk. It's truly something painful. (im only 21 :S)
I wanted to portray a true warrior finding herself, and bettering herself,dealing with religious and militery issues and just plain social ones.
With regards to my use of 'Arab', well, firstly, in my view, its the same as referring to someone as a Jew, Christian, Budist, or hell, even black, white, or Jew, or Asian its a racial group, its a correct name. Political correctness does bother me sometimes, and this is a prime example. I want to go on record now, as stating this was in no way meant as a racial slur. Its a technically correct reference, i did not use a 'naughty' phrase.
The Jews and Arabs have long been mortal enemies, and you cant expect an Israeli soldier to speak with politically correct words, when regarding one of thier social enemies. What do you expect me to use also? 'brownish person who subscribes to the Islamic faith and of the Lebanese persuasion'?
I don't feel these are unusual skills for a trans person either. there is MASSIVE diversity in the people who are trans, and they are involved in every skill and career under the sun.
The portrayal of trans women as meek, feminine, girly girls is something that bothers me tbh. Trans women are as varied as natal women, and i want a chance to show that.
Thankyou all for your kind comments. It's inspirational :)
I'm taking a break from born twice, as im suffering mental blockage with material, and dont want to write crap....
So ill be heading on with this while i have fresh material in my mind and direction, so i hope you all enjoy the work as much as i do writing it.
Many thanks
Alyssa Plant

Works of Fiction

...are just that, in this case its a war story or military conflict, political struggle WHATEVER, the point is it is no different than a James Bond story, there is conflict, dialog, tension... I don't hear an outcry because the bad guys were Russians or East Germans, people are not burning Ian Flemings works in protest. They are works of fiction based on realities of political issues, the rhetoric is a device to set the stage, the feel of it all. Somehow I do not think Isrealies dance around using the word in their everday speach, I can just see the smooth flow of the dialog if it were made totally PC:

“Even if you do cry when shooting Those-Who-Shall-Not-Be-Named” he laughed and ducked Sarah’s swipe. Sarah said "Arabs?" and everybody cringed in fear...

80% of the stories here paint SOMEONE as a bad guy, boys, men, bullies, authorities, moms, dads, brothers, sisters. So if the teacher grabs the bully and he gets expelled, a friend says "gee that seems extreem" and the girl says "Who cares he's just a boy" ...while sexist, it would probably slide right by on this group?

Alyssa, please keep writing, if you pull your stories, I would like to get them by email or please tell us what venue you have moved to.

Nah, I think it is just fine.

Salaam

This is some really great dialogue. The formating? No worries. :)

As far as racisim goes, I am a Muslim, but don't feel the thing in the Lebanon/Israel area makes any sense at all. I recently spoke to a Lebanese Muslim Man working in a Supermarket here in America. I had just been excluded from the Masjid because I am trans. I was a mess. He comforted me, saying "Khadija, I don't even go to Masjid any more, since I left Lebanon, those people, all they want to do is make war!"

Ma Salama

Khadija Gwen

A very personal story to my family

NoraAdrienne's picture

My nephew Brian..
He was a sniper in the Israeli army during the recent Lebanese incursion. I could visualize him talking like that to Sarah... Let's face it, how many Israeli snipers do you think have a transdyke for an aunt?

Nora-Adrienne

War Really is Hell

I am enjoying the story very much. It's good to see characters who act and behave like real people do when placed in situations that reflect the reality around us. I hope the author continues to write her story as her heart and soul dictates and not cater to the whims of every critic or people who are offended simply because the author's world view does not match theirs.

For those who have not stood a watch on the wall, it is difficult to convey the feelings and the emotions that a human experiences when they venture into harms way. It is even more difficult, no, it is impossible to describe to someone who hasn't been there what it's like to engage in combat. Many writers have tried, few have succeeded.

I encourage Belladonna to press on. I look forward to her next chapter.

Nancy Cole


~ ~ ~

"You may be what you resolve to be."

T.J. Jackson

God preserve us

from political correctness and excessive censorship; without the freedom to write realistically, fiction would be so boring.

There's a world of difference between an insult and the impersonal personification of a perceived enemy in a war situation.

You have a superb story here. While it could be complete as it is, I'm intrigued to see where you will be taking it in further chapter(s).

Susie

They way they talk make sense

As a soldier it is common to de-personalize the enemy. You would go crazy with grief if you thought of emimy combatants as some distant relatve.

Their soldiers likely talk the same way about the other side.

Interesting start.

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

Better to comment late.

Wow, this is so great! I'm so embarrassed that I put this off reading. As a Jew myself, I gotta say, more stories with Jews! As far as I knew, enlistment in the IDF is still mandatory, but it's fiction so we can overlook some things. ^_^

Also, I have to agree with you on the personality aspect: the thing to remember—everyone!—is that trans women are women first, and trans maybe third. Women are women, and can be ornery, or selfish, or whatever, as much as anyone else (including men). Just because some people think you have to be some sort of ultra-feminine kewpie doll in order to go all the way, doesn't make it true, and ignores the presence of I don't know how many who are closer to the middle. (The phrase “lives of quiet desperation” fits here, I think.)

And the dialogue is nifty. (I always liked ‘nifty’!) It's not hard to follow at all if you read carefully, and I love the depth of character shown.

The Road to Haifa - Chapter 1

Sarah has a good friend in Ari.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine