The Road to Haifa - Chapter 2

Printer-friendly version


The Road to Haifa
Chapter 2 — Revelations
by Alyssa Plant
 

 


 

Chapter 2 — Revelations

After several hours walk, the two had reached the bottom of the foothills and began making their way out onto the flat scrubland of the valley floor.

Sarah hated this time of day, it was beginning to warm up, and the desert sun beat down relentlessly reflecting off the rocky surface of the desert.

Then again, she mused, guillie suits didn’t help things.

As they reached a bend in a dry river bed, Ari took a knee and turned to Sarah;

“This is the last checkpoint; I’m going to radio our ride, set up an observation point 100m out. That large rock looks good.”

Nodding Sarah climbed the bank of the river, and moved off to set up her OP.

It was unlikely that they would be followed, they were after all, on Israeli soil, but they had not survived this long being careless.

Steadying her rifle on a rock, she waited perfectly still. It felt strange. The whole world almost seemed more colourful today.

Had talking to Ari meant that much to her? She smiled to herself when she realised that she had been referring to herself in the feminine since their talk. Maybe things could work out?

The sunshine in her heart quickly became overcast. This wouldn’t change once she returned to base.
The army wouldn’t let her. Her family and friends wouldn’t all be as understanding as Ari.

Her earpiece crackled to life.

“Bird is 5 miles out, popping smoke, stay alert.” Whispered the digitised voice of Ari over the radio.

He was the rock in their pair. He had always been the strong one. Sarah wondered if she would have ever reached this point without him.

The cloud of green smoke drifted lazily in the slight breeze.

She heard the helicopter before she saw it. And began to move from her hide amongst the rocks.

By the time she reached Ari, the IAF Blackhawk was kicking up a cloud of dust as it came in to land amongst the scrub.

After climbing aboard the aircraft, the two snipers were finally able to relax. No operation was over till you reached home base of course, but being on the bird out was a good start.

Sarah became acutely aware that the crew chief was looking at her.

Not in a nasty way, but in a hungry way that made her feel slightly uncomfortable. Feeling herself going red, she raised her eyebrows and stared back in a universal ‘well what?’ gesture.

The crew chief grinned and laughed. “They never told us we were picking up such a pretty cargo.” He yelled over the sound of the rotors.

“Well I get told that so often.” Ari returned with a perfectly straight face that caused Sarah to dissolve into a fit of giggles.

Flying over the base perimeter was usually when Sarah prayed. But today there was too much on her mind. What was she returning to? Was it all false hope?

They were questions she couldn’t answer, and for now, it was best to suppress herself once more in the way she had learned since she was a child. It was best to bury yourself in your work and forget yourself. Maybe that was why she succeeded at anything she had done to date? Apart from one notable exception she grimaced.

David exited the Blackhawk and the two made their way back towards their area of the base.

The special operations teams were housed and operated from a separate part of the base to normal military personnel. They ate and socialised with the others, due to the nature of their work, most was conducted away from prying eyes.

Once safely back in their room, Sarah began to strip her rifle for cleaning. Like most things in her life, this was something simple she could throw herself into and forget her issues.

Ari looked across at his friend sat on her bed cleaning her baby.

He was surprised that he ever saw her as a male.

Her glossy hair was loose and flowed around her shoulders. The Tel aviv university tee-shirt she wore was several sizes too large, and came down past the shorts she wore. Her smooth tanned legs were so feminine, and womanly that Ari was at a loss as to how anyone saw her as a ‘David’. She looked every inch the type of girl he had dated in University.

“Sarah?” he asked quietly as he mindlessly rubbed the bolt of his rifle.

She looked up as if snapping from a trance. “What?”

“Have you thought about what you’re gonna say to people? Or who?” he mused aloud.

“Um, I hadn’t really thought about it.” She replied biting her bottom lip. “Maybe I’ll talk to the CO later, and then some of the girls first, get some people onside… I just know I can’t go on like this.” She said putting down her rifle parts.

“It’s just so hard now. You opened the flood gates.” She answered, hugging herself and rocking slightly.

“I’m sorry.” Ari said. “I just needed my friend back, and wanted them to be happy. I realise its hard, but you needed to do this. What’s that expression? ‘A problem shared is a problem halved?’” He grinned.

Sarah shook her head and smiled. Ari loved his Americanisms.

She slid her rifle back together and placing it on the rack, dragged on a pair of combat pants and tied her hair in a low ponytail.

“I’m going to do it now before I loose the confidence.” She grimaced. “Wish me luck huh?”

Ari came over to her and hugged her tightly.

”You can do it.” He whispered. “The Colonel will be ok, I have a feeling. Just don’t turn all pink on me ok?”

Punching him lightly on the arm she smiled. “Don’t worry, there is more chance of um, how do you say it? Pigs jumping through hoops?” she replied tentatively.

“Flying, but close” he grinned. “Knock them dead my friend.”

Sarah gave Ari a quizzical look before shaking her head and closing the door.

That spark of confidence she had felt when Ari hugged her had vaporised quickly.

Each step she took closer to their commanding officer’s door.

Before she could go over things in her mind she was there.

Shamira Cohen was at her desk by the door as usual.

Smiling at the Commander’s assistant she walked upto his door and knocked. None of the special operations personnel ever went through official channels.

“Enter” resonated from within.

Steeling herself, she pushed open the door and walked in.

Colonel Mathias was seated behind his large desk, most of which was invisible below a raft of papers and reports.

“Ah Corporal Yakobavitch; Take a seat.” He smiled gesturing at one of the chairs that faced his desk.

Sitting David paused to collect his thoughts, unsure of where to begin.

“I trust this morning went smoothly on your end?” He enquired whilst sifting several piles of papers.

“Um, yes sir, nothing untoward. Um, I’m actually here about something personal. I was wondering if you could spare a few moments?” David asked tentatively.

The colonel stopped what he was doing and looked up.

“Of course. What’s on your mind my boy?”

“Um, I’m sorry, I’m not sure where to start, but I’m having problems and…” David trailed off.

He could feel his heart beating inside his chest. It felt like such a good idea moments ago, but now he wasn’t even sure he could say the words.

“I’m a girl.” She blurted before she could stop herself.

 


 
To Be Continued...

up
120 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Okay!

Excellent chapter, Alyssa! You had me worried for a minute, I was afraid they were going to be ambushed at the pick-up. Looking forward to more.

Karen J.

"Being a girl is wonderful and to torture someone into that would be like the exact opposite of what it's like. I don’t know how anyone could act that way." College Girl - poetheather


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

A Worthy Follow-On

Part one was so effective and so affecting, and in a lot of ways it was dramatically complete in itself. I enjoyed it a great deal and was hoping you could make more out of the story, but at the same time I admit to harboring doubts that you could do so without diminishing what you had already done.

Thanks for dispelling those. It's clear that this story still has legs and that your Muse is itching for a longer walk!

I like how your writing this

and that you've chosen to have David/Sarah as a sniper.Many TS women I've met were Special forces or infantry in the military.Looking forward to seeing how the story progesses.Amy

So I am making a wild guess

So I am making a wild guess that the Israeli Armed Forces don't have the idiotic "don't Ask, Don't Tell" policy that we have in the American Armed Forces? We have lost so many good and excellent personnel because of this policy; especially language experts in languages of the countries we are currently engaged in and several others around that region. Because of the puritanical beliefs that our society still dwells on, we have managed to "cut off our noses to spite our faces".
I do wish Sarah well and all the best as she deals with her commander and the women in her unit. I am so glad that her partner is there for her, as him being in the know and supporting her will really help her. J-Lynn

Equal Rights

Israel apparently has an equal rights law that includes sexual orientation. I don't think the liberalization of sexual identity accomodation is quite complete yet, but comparing national policies between Israel and the U.S., it's way clear who's ahead in the humanitarian/equality sweepstakes. Men, women, gay or straight, equal treatment is guaranteed by law.

As for national attitudes about transsexuals, Dana International is a big-time national musical star and personality. Check her out on the Google. She even was awarded "Best Female Artist" one year.

Helpful ad for once

I was wondering if anyone was going to ask what a ghillie suit was but there was an example of one right at the bottom of the page in the ad box. For once the darn thing was helpful if not humorous as they so often are. :)

As for the story I'm really enjoying this story. I too thought trouble might be following them at their extraction point, but no. It did make for a nice tension builder.

I looking forward to seeing more of this!

hugs!
grover

Really like this so far

It's smoooooth, and the dialogue and pacing is just fine. One thing that bothers me is the "lose" "loose" word confusion. Most of the time, I don't really care, but in the otherwise grammatically correct stories, that sticks out. Also, would the IDF measure in miles? Even the US military uses kilometers.

Regards,

Aardvark

"Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony."

Mahatma Gandhi

"Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony."

Mahatma Gandhi

The Road to Haifa - Chapter 2

Love how Sarah got straight to the point.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine