Traps!

Printer-friendly version

Yellowish red was the sun setting low onto the tree line. The trees shedding of yellow, red, and brown leaves as the gust helped. The earthy smell of autumn took to the noses as the last bell rung. The students made a break for their cars or piled onto the buses. Some stayed for clubs and practice.

Though, not all. One student raced straight behind the mass of bleachers next to the football field. Waiting with a nervously twitchy demeanor. He bit his fingers and twittled his thumbs. He twitched his whole body in some shape or form. He shook his head and composed himself with deep breaths, closing his eyes as his posture became last and his thoughts became singular.

Then, she came, a teenage girl with lightish brown hair and beautiful emerald eyes. Eyes that seemed to glow in the light. Her calm and emotionless demeanor unnerved the boy in front of her. Her sweet pink lips froze in neither a frown nor a smile. Her arms crossed, and her eyes looked behind him rather than at him.

The boy rubbed the back of his neck, taking in the sight of the girl in front of him. Cargo shorts, a collared shirt, a vest, and a hoodie jacket. Clothes that did not fit her nor her figure. The boy began to feel a bit underdress with his graphic tee and athletic shorts. The cold really never bothered him anyway.

“Um, hi?” The boy said. The girl just nodded, seeming almost a statue. “I’m Lukas, uh, sorry for bringing you out he-”

“Had time.” She said in an eloquent voice. Betraying her diction.

“Ah, okay.” More silence proceeded the answer. The boy sweating bullets, his body wants to run, but his heart wants to stay. His mind raced a million miles per second. Every time he opens his mouth, those same beautifully mystical eyes seemed to pierce into his soul. No, not him, what was behind him. He took another deep breath to compose himself. It worked for the most part. “Would you like to go out on Saturday?”

“Go out? Where?” She said, raising an eyebrow.

“Your choice, I just moved here and need someone to guide me.” There was a strange pause. The girl’s eyes went blank and unblinking.

“Sure, not doing better.” Her eyes going back to a normal glow. Lukas blankly stared until a massive grin grew on his face.

“Great! I’m so glad to be getting a tour with a beautiful girl like you!!” Celebrating by fist pumping.

The girl arms uncrossed to her sides. Her fist tightened and white-knuckled. Her emotionless face contorted, “I’m not,” Her teeth grinded as her eyes flared a green flame.

“Um, you okay, sweetie?”

“A girl!” The words hissed behind her teeth.

“Wh-what?” Lukas froze up like a popsicle in front of the angry girl.

“I said,” She moved right into Lukas’s face “I’M NOT A GIRL!!” Her voice boomed through the bleachers and over the coach’s voice. She stomped away, leaving a baffled Lukas behind her(?).

Lukas composed himself and ran after the boy(?). “You’re a trap?”

She swiveled around, “WEEB!!”

“Can we still go out? I don’t really know my way around the ci…” The boy(?) was already out of sight. Lukas flopped down on his back, looking at the sky, “What did I do wrong?”

“You misgendered him, Loverboy.” An answer and a round of chuckled came from a few of the football players, watching the show.

“I did what?” There was another round of chuckles and one guy was laughing a bit too hard.

“You misgendered him. Meaning you did what ole Harry right here did.”

The man next to the player blushed crimson as he puts his face in his hands. “I’m sorry, Benny is just too cute.”

“Yup, you should’ve seen him at PE when everyone was changing.” A slimy boy left of the player chortled “His body is definitely like a girly as hell. Well, if you don’t look the penis.”

“Hehehe, how big was it?” A stocky boy next to the man asked.

“What are you gay?” The slimy boy taunted the blushing stocky boy.

“Um, sorry to interrupt your talking, but who are you?” Lukas asked.

The player scratched his head, “Sorry, the slimy fellow is Slime, the stocky boy is Stork, this man here is Bear, and I’m Player. The Captain of these band of misfits.”

“So the football team?”

“No, you half twat, Alexander the fucking great over there is the team captain. I’m just the leader of these band of misfits.” He pointed with his thumb behind him.

“So, what was that boy’s name?”

“Which one?”

“The one we were just talking about?

“Oh him! That Benjamin Fawcett, freshy I think. Slime, you’re in his class, right?”

“Yeah, he’s a quiet fellow though. Word of advice, don’t call him Benjamin or Ben. He’ll blow up on you just like today.”

“Then what should I call him?”

“Benny. Though, you shouldn’t get friendly with him.”

“Why’s that-”

“FUCKING MISFITS! GET YOUR SLIMY ASSES BACK HERE!!!” A voice sonic boomed causing all the misfits to jump or freeze.

Player shook himself off, “Shit, the coach is furious. Anyway, see ya later, Loverboy.” The rest waved and said their goodbyes. Leaving Lukas alone and with his thoughts.

“Huh, that was interesting.” As he walked away, Lukas remembered something, “I WAS SUPPOSED TO TAKE THE BUS!!”

...

Freezing was the morning with students piling off the buses and out of their cars. All had some kind of coat. Benny wore layers.

“I hate the cold.” Whining to himself, Benny was in the classroom before the first bell. Sitting in the back by the window like a true main character. He had an odd afternoon yesterday. The events of yesterday still echoed through his mind. His knuckles clinched white. He took a deep breath. Hasn’t been the first time someone asked him out and probably won’t be the last. He shivered at the thought. Benny ran his fingers over the nine scars on his wrist, muttering “Oh when Monica sees it, she’ll be pissed.” A fresh cut marked the tenth.

“Did you hear we’re going to have a new student?”

“Yeah, do you know if they’re a boy or girl?”

“No, I just heard it from Carol before class.”

The teacher came in and behind her was a student. A boy with a decent face and a natural smile shuffled in. “Please introduce yourself.”

The boy’s smile seemed to grow wider as he tussled his short auburn hair. His eyes glanced around the classroom to Benny. The boy’s smile grew even wider, “Hey there, I’m Lukas Ward. I came from Georgia. I like anime, manga, light novels, video games, and my little sister.” Benny was trying his best not to be noticed by the damn guy. Instead, the guy sat right in front of him. There was a weird pressure in the room and it seemed that only Benny could feel it. He looked away and enjoyed the scenery of the outside. The bell rung and Benny gathered his things and sprinted off before Lukas could even say hi.

The next periods consisted of Benny hiding and Lukas finding. Each time Lukas found Benny. The boy just sprinted away until the bell rung. Their peers and seniors enjoyed and even took videos of the duo’s game of hiding and seek. The whole school eventually became a massive game of hiding and seek, only stopping to go to class or when the parties were too tired.

Lunch came around and Benny wanted to sleep. The constant evading was tiring and he just wanted to be left alone, but apparently, Lukas is just as good as finding as Benny is at hiding. He finally caught a break with Lukas not sharing lunch with him.

“Hey, Benny!” A boisterously friendly voice came from behind him. Benny swiveled around in shock, “That was a fun game of hide and seek. I hope we get to do it again.” A wild energetic Lukas appeared and Benny just slammed his head into the table.

“Why here?” He stuttered unable to think as his stomach growled like a mother bear protecting her cubs. He couldn’t keep up and running was useless.

“Why what?” Lukas put his tray in front of Benny.

“Why are you here?”

“It’s lunch, duh.”

“Yes, it is, but don’t you go to lunch at another time?”

“No why?”

“Oh… Why are you following me?” Benny’s eyes focused on his phone. Taking bites of his sandwich

“Because I wanted to ask if you still want to give me a bit of a tour of the city?”

“O-oh.” Benny stared down at his food.

“Oh, you don’t have to if you don’t want to. I know we kind of got to a bad start, but I hope we could become friends and maybe even more than that… if you want to.”

Benny faced Lukas, “Hell no.” Then preceded to dump Lukas’s milk on its owner

Lukas just sat there shocked as the emotionless adorable boy stomped away and gobbled down his sandwich.

“Well, lover boy. That didn’t go too well for you now did it?” It was Player with his band of misfits.

“You’re um right.” His eyes started to tear up.

“You’re not gonna cry are ya? There’s plenty of fish in the sea.”

“It’s not that.”

“Then what is it?”

“This chocolate milk is bad.”

Player leaned into smell, “Holy shit, you’re right! You can use the showers in the locker room if ya want.”

“Thanks. I appreciate that.”

“No problem, lover boy.”

“I bet that those two will get together before winter. Anyone wanna make the bet?” Slime said without a bad thought in his mind.

“I’ll bet twenty against. I mean, Benny is definitely not gay. Not so sure about Lover Boy though.”

“Thirty for. I can see them be a cute couple.” The rest of the misfits and some of the other members took bets too. Slime made a smile only a mother could love.

“Hello there, friend. How are you?” It was lunch and Lukas was on the attack.

“Didn’t I tell you to leave me alone yesterday?” Benny still refused to even look into Lukas’s eyes.

“No.”

“I didn’t?” His brow furrow when no memory of the phrase came up, “Well, I’ll say it now. Leave me alone.” The adorable boy got up and strutted away with his lunch in hand.

...

“Hey Benny, how’s it going. Nice weather we’re having today huh?”

“I’m in no mood for small talk. Goodbye!”

...

“Benny! My Boy! Wass-”

“Hmph” The smaller boy strutted off leaving a sulking Lukas behind.

“What was today, Boss?” Bear asked.

“I think the eighteenth time this month.”

“Sheesh, I’m starting to feel a bit sorry for the fellow.” Stork shook his head.

Slime went up to Lukas, “Hey, Lover Boy, tough time huh?”

“Yeah, I guess.”

“Maybe you should try inviting him to the Halloween party.”

“What’s the use?” Lukas is pretty down now. Something clicked inside of Player.

“Get up.” Lukas ignored it, “I said GET UP!!” Lukas jumped up, “Now listen to me, Lover Boy. I will not have you sulking here. You have to get up and try and try again even if you fail.”

“But I-”

“No butts, Lover Boy. Only results. Now, you’re going to go to that boy and ask, NO, tell him he’s gonna go to the Halloween party with you.”

Lukas sniffled, “Yes sir.”

“Good, now run, LoverBoy. Run like the wind.” And so he did. The lover boy sprinted as fast as his feet could carry him.

“Where is he going, Boss.”

“I don’t know, Bear. I don’t know.” Unbeknownst to them, Benny was listening to the entire time.
Benny’s eyes fell to the ground as he walked to a car. A redhead with a handsome face sat patiently in the driver seat. Benny gets in the passenger seat.

“How was school today?” He asked as he pulled out the school parking lot.

“It was… okay.” The boy stared out the window, watching the world go by.

“What’s wrong?”

“Nothing.”

“It can’t be nothing, it has to be something.” He ground his teeth, “Don’t tell me you’re getting bullied again?!”

“I’m not, it’s just a guy.”

“A boy?! I didn’t know you like boys.”

Benny shook his head violently, “Monica! Nothing like that!” Yes, indeed Monnie is a woman name Monica

“Good, I don’t even know how your father would take that.”

“Please don’t speak of trash.”

“Sorry.”

“It’s okay. Anyway, this guy, Lukas, keeps trying to get friendly with me.”

“And that’s a bad thing why?” They pulled into the hospital parking lot.

“Because um… because I don’t want to get friendly with him.”

“Not really a good reason you know. What’s wrong with having a friend.”

“Nothing it’s just-”

“You’re scared.” They sat in silence. “You need to stop living in the past. It’ll be the only way to accept who you are.” Monica got out and stretched. “Now come on. I’m sure you want to see your test results for the fifth time.”

...

“Sorry, Mr. Fawcett, but you’re perfectly healthy.” The doctor scratched his bald head while hold a clip board.

“Th-that isn’t true. I mean, I’m a boy, yet I look like… like this.” Benny gestured to himself.

“I’m afraid so. If you have any questions, then please feel free to call me.”

“Thanks, Doctor, I’m sorry I’d wasted your time.”

“No problem, son. I can’t imagine how you feel about your body. I know a good therapist that can help you cope.”

Benny gave a smile, “Thanks, doctor, I’ll think about it.” Benny walked out leaving the Doctor along with his nurse.

“What do you this Ms. Joyce.”

“What do you mean, Dr. Kelly?”

“About the boy of course. I don’t think I’ve met a single guy like him. His hormone levels are normal, but his body doesn’t seem to be developing like any more guys. I talked to Dr. Fuller and he said there was nothing wrong with Mr. Fawcett’s sex chromosomes either. It just doesn’t make sense.”

“I don’t know either, Doctor.”

“I can’t even imagine his family situation either, being born into a family like Fawcett. Must be tough.” The doctor took a deep breath, “Anyway, onto the next patient.”

Lukas reached the small apartment complex. It was close school fortunately for Lukas. When he walked in, the boy fell on the couch. This was the fifth time this week he’s had to walk all the home. While the complex is close, it’s still a good fifteen minutes.

A girl with auburn hair and deep brown eyes walked in, fully dressed. She held a note and gave it to the tired boy.

‘Welcome home, brother. Trying to ask out that girl again?’

Lukas blew air, “She’s not a girl, a trap as you call them.”

She furiously scribbled on a small notebook and tore the page out, ‘Eh, seriously!? A trap? Why didn’t you mention this before?’

“Well, you never really asked before. It’s not that big of a deal.”

‘You do know it’s gay to like traps right?’

“I don’t like him.”

‘You don’t?’

“I love him.” The girl just stared at her brother. Her mouth opened then closed. Her lips moved, yet no sound came out. She just slumped to a chair and stared at the ground.

Lukas rotated his body to see her “Chloe? You alright?” The girl, Chloe, looked up and gave a smile that didn’t quite meet her eyes. Lukas got up and embraced her, “Don’t worry, you’ll always be my number one girl.”

She neatly wrote, ‘Thank you.’ Before giving a kiss on the cheek and walking back to her room. Lukas slouched in the chair, staring at the ceiling. He took comfort in the weird patterns of the ceiling.

“Here’s an odd question, me, why do I love Benny?”

“I don’t know, me, why do you love Benny?”

“I’m not so sure, to be honest. I mean, he’s adorable, but he’s very rude and has an expressionless face. He never smiles. Even when he’s angry, the only way to really tell is his eyes.”

“But those eyes though. Even when burning green, they’re the most beautiful gems I’ve ever seen.”

“I know right! Hey, that’s not the point me. The point is why am I in love with someone who could care less about me?”

“I don’t know, maybe you’re into tsundere.”

“He’s more of a tsuntsun though.”

“Good point.”

“The real question is why am I discussing this with myself?”

“Maybe you’re crazy?”

“Maybe. Hey, what time is it?”

“Time for you to get a watch.”

“Oh haha, me. Very funny.” Lukas grabbed the phone, “Oh shit we’re late!” He got up and ran to bedrooms, “Chloe, we need to go.” There was no response, then again why would you expect a response out of a mute girl? Lukas noticed a note on the door.

‘Dear brother, as you’re reading this, I’m already on the bus to the hospital. Please don’t wait up for me. Love, Chloe, you best sister.’

“Now that I think about it, she was fully dressed. Holy shit, she knew I was gonna discuss my love for Benny with myself. I’ve been duped!” Instant facepalm. “Welp, I guess I’ll just have to try and get over there, somehow.”

...

Benny sat in the bathroom alone. The only place in the world where he could be alone. Alone is about Benny’s life at the moment. Even when people try to connect with him. The boy would just push them away. Fearful of being… that. That was the thought Benny always thought. He couldn’t admit it. He was too scared to. Ever since he was put in some city in Tennessee. He’s been scared of other people. Even know he avoided someone who clearly wanted to be with him. Maybe more than friends, but still someone who actually cared enough to keep trying and never give up. The waterworks began to fall. The boy couldn’t handle it. He hated himself. This stupid body. All he wanted to do is lay down and die. Dying would be a reasonable answer.

No, he couldn’t do that. The fear of death was too much even more him. He didn’t even know what was after. His dad talked about god, devil, heaven, and hell. Maybe it was true. The fear of death was too scary because what if he did go to hell. An eternity of suffering didn’t sound horrible. Benny wondered if his mother went to heaven. The memories of his mother were strong yet vague. His father never talked about her. Never once. He didn’t even go to the funeral, instead, he opted for a business meeting. The only one besides him who went to the funeral was his little brother. The youngest of all six. Oh, how he misses him. Benny often wonders how he’s doing. The little boy was so clingy on him before he left. The little boy cried his eyes out and begged father to let Benny stay. Maybe he’ll see him at Christmas. Probably not, his father would allow Frank to even get close to the black sheep.

The boy got out of the stall and look at himself in the mirror. A beautiful teenage girl with chocolate brown hair, apple round face, tear stain high cheekbones, a sweet nose, and green eyes stared back at him. It’s his fault that all of this happened to him. If he didn’t look like some fairy, maybe his mother would still be alive. Benny collapsed into sobs.

...

Lukas really needed to go. The bus ride was way too long and it was a mistake to drink a whole bottle of water. Soon as the bus stopped by the hospital. Luke took off towards the nearest building. The first building didn’t have a bathroom. What type of building doesn’t have a bathroom? The next building didn’t have one either. The feeling when he heard it. Sobbing coming from somewhere. His mind just followed it and there it was. A restroom; however, the sobbing was still present. Lukas just composed himself and opened the door. It was Benny, on the floor sobbing his little eyes out. The water made his groin ache. He needed to go, but he also felt it was rude just to leave the boy there. So he did what any man does.

“Hey, Benny!” With a cheery smile that hid his urge or at least tried to.

“Lukas?” Benny sniffled, trying to clean himself up. “What are you doing here?”

“I’d love to talk about that, but I gotta go.” He went into the restroom, “See you in a moment or so.” Lukas gave a sigh of relief as he came out the restroom. Benny stood there, waiting for him. “Hey, I see you didn’t ditch me.”

“Um uh.” The cutie fidgeted. “I didn’t do it for your sake or anything.”

Lukas embraced the much smaller boy, “Thank you, tsundere.”

“Your wel- wait, tsundere?!” He squirmed out of the embrace. “I’m not a tsundere, you weeb.”

“Dude, saying ‘I didn’t do it for your sake or anything’ is such a cliché tsundere line.”

Benny looked away, fidgeting some more, “Well um uh uh.” The taller boy just chuckled and pat his head. “What are you laughing at me for?”

“Well, you’re not acting yourself right now. Normally you’re all cool and composed, almost emotionless. Now, not so much. I like this side more.”

“Oh.” Benny looked down, tugging on his pants. “I’m sorry, I just um-”

“Will you go to a Halloween party with me?”

“What?” Benny faced him.

“Will you go to a Halloween party with me?”

“Oh um… yes?”

“Really!?”

“I do-”

“YAAA HOOO!!” Lukas spun around then stopped and took away the nearest pen and paper, jotting something down. “Six-thirty at that address. See ya then.” The boy ran as that as he could before getting yelled at to slow down.

“Okay then,” Benny looked at the paper. “I guess it can’t hurt.”

======

Hello everyone, sorry for always being a butt and going dead for months on end. I had things to do and anxiety to deal with. Anyway, this is my NaNoWriMo Project. Which is why it isn't edited. Sorry if the grammar is shit or the story is inconsistant. I'm gonna post a chapter every two days or so... maybe... that's if I can disapline myself to completing the 50,000 word challenge. I hope you enjoy this crappy story taken from the "Daily Life of a Trap". I'll see ya next time on Dragon Ball Z.... Oh shit, wrong story... um BYE!!

up
118 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

NaNoWriMo

Daphne Xu's picture

Best of success reaching the 50,000-word level. It occurs to me that Lukas should probably have gotten a heapful of mortification, if Benny had complained to the administration about his relentless unwanted attentions. And, um, about that term "Trap"...

-- Daphne Xu

Illustration

Is this the story that had the great illustrations from last year? Not that it matters, I intend to read this all the way through. I read enough of the first part (up to the introduction of the mute girl) to know I want to read the rest. It will be a bit before I get started, so hang in there and keep writing!


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Not Crappy

Sara Hawke's picture

It was good and talks of more.

I wouldn't mind it being woven into the other story properly or to see chapter ten

Emotion, yet peace.
Ignorance, yet knowledge.
Passion, yet serenity.
Chaos, yet harmony.
Contemplation, yet duty
Death, yet the Force.
Light with dark, I remain Balanced.

Crappy story?

Jamie Lee's picture

Benny should have gone to a teacher or administration and reported Lucas for stalking. Lucas has a real problem, one worse than Benny, one that affects others.

Benny was "placed" after his mom died because he is different and daddy couldn't be bothered to take care of HIS children. Maybe he should be fixed so no other child has to suffer from his attitude.

But what is the indepth problem Benny is wrestling with? He's cutting himself, he's on the edge of doing something more serious. Why does he have the appearance of a girl? Was he given something in his past that is now affecting him? Or is there something which is yet to be revealed?

Others have feelings too.