Gaby Book 16 ~ Sweet Sixteen ~ Chapter *21* Awkward Feeling

Printer-friendly version
 
 
*Chapter 21*
Awkward Feeling

 
 

As you know, the Bond clan are no strangers to entertaining or being entertained, casual barbeques, more formal do’s with Dukes and even royalty but this evening, well it was awkward to say the least. If you overlook my dress faux pas, things were certainly at eleven on the weird scale. The parent’s conversation was of course the usual at one end of the table; at the other end it was ‘happy couples’, Jules and Boris, Mart and Bern, which left me and Mand, well not in either group.

“What’s up kiddo?” Mum asked as she stacked the soup bowls in the dishwasher.
“Nothing.”
“Come on, what is it?” she pressed.
I put the pile of plates down in the table, “I feel like the hired help, maybe a bit overdressed,” I admitted, “me and Mand are sat between two conversations neither of which include us. You could’ve asked Jules to help with this but no, muggings here has to do it.”
“Jules has a guest.”
“So do I, or isn’t Bern my friend anymore?”
“Of course she is.”
“So how come Jules is in there talking to her and not me? It’s not fair!”

And with that I stormed out – not just the kitchen but the house.
“Gaby!” Mum’s voice yelled after me, “Come back here!”
I kept going.
I got as far as the tiny park opposite the Netto before the cold and my stupidity brought my actions into focus. I perched on one of the benches and the waterworks started.

“Where’s Gaby?” Dave asked his wife, he’d heard raised voices from the kitchen but not the content and had come to investigate.
“Gone out,” Jen started, “for a breather.”
“What do you mean, gone out?”
“Dave, I think I’ve mucked up big style, she was pretty upset, she didn’t take a coat even.”
“I won’t ask what it’s about, you look after the Preiser’s, I’ll go find trouble.”
“Sorry, Dave,” Jen snuffled.

‘Where would she go?’ Dave asked himself, ‘the Thesing’s most likely.”

He pulled his own jacket on before grabbing his daughter’s and leaving his other half snuffling, set off to bring Gaby home. Ten minutes later and he was more worried, she wasn’t at the bakery, so where was she?

Did I mention it was cold? Well freezing actually and here I am, no coat, no Handy and a stupid dress sat on a stone bench in the shadow of the church. My rage had initially kept me warm but I was hardly dressed for the weather so I was soon blubbing and shivering in equal measure. Just because I’m the youngest I have to do everything, it’s not fair!

I can’t tell you what was going through my head, stuff but I can’t remember what. At some point I decided a walk would warm me up so with arms wrapped around myself I got up and started aimlessly walking. I berated myself for not grabbing my bag at least, a coat would’ve been a good idea too, but what’s done is done.

I hardly saw a soul as I wandered Dernau’s lanes – not unusual especially this time of year – everyone’s tucked up in the warm. My feet were starting to hurt, a combination of the cold and maybe not the most comfortable footwear for extended walking. Realising I was near the keep fit trail I knew where there was a bench.

“Miss, are you okay?”
I less snapped but I cranked an eye open.
The voice repeated the question, “Are you okay, miss?”
“Ccc-cold.”
There was some noise then I felt a weight enclose me before lapsing once more into unconsciousness.

“Young woman answering description located at the Tauglichkeitweg (Fitness park), over.”
“Condition please?”
“Request ambulance, over.”

The exchange was loud enough that Dave and his wife, stood behind the police van, heard it clearly.
“Dave?” Jen looked at her husband.
“She’ll be alright, love,” he held his wife tightly, ‘I hope.’

When Dave returned after thirty minutes without his daughter it was clear to everyone that something was up. The meal was forgotten and more bodies added to the search, a second sweep of the town had borne no fruit and with the time getting on the Police were called. Generally the forces of law and order would’ve suggested waiting before getting too involved, given the temperature and how the runaway was dressed they agreed to add their resources to the search.

It was still after midnight, five hours after she’d left that she was found, less than a kilometre from home.

Someone nearby was talking, “We need to get her core temperature up.”
“But she’ll be alright?” another voice queried.
“Hypothermia can be a funny thing, once we get her warmed up we can run more tests. She does have early stage frostbite so that’s our main concern for now,” voice one stated.
Concentrating on the words was difficult and I was tired, sleep.

The beeping of a respiratory monitor was the thing that I noticed first, that and the restriction you get with a sheet made bed rather than a duvet. Hospital, did I have an accident? I searched my mind but it was like a blank memory stick, operating system but no data.

I opened an eye, yep hospital alright and a tug on my arm confirmed it was me being monitored. Hospitals – well there’s usually pain involved but nothing seemed to hurt, my hands and feet are a bit tingly, you know like pins and needles but unless I’m well sedated as far as I can tell there’s nothing broken. I turned my head a little to take in the room, yep it’s definitely a medical ward, not like at the Frauenklinik.

But I was still tired, I closed my eyes and things faded away.

“Mum?”
“No kiddo, it’s Dad, I can fetch your mum if you want?”
“Ut uh,” I’m not sure why but I didn’t want to speak to her. “What happened? Why am I here?”
“You don’t remember?”
“I remember being cold.”
Dave paused to consider his words, “you remember arguing with Mum?”
Do I? We were having dinner, Bernie and the Preiser’s were there, “Nope, what about?”
“I’m not sure, kiddo, but you took off, the Polizei found you up at the Tauglichkeitweg, half frozen five hours later.”
“But I’m alright, yeah?”
“Hypothermia and frostbite.”
“Frostbite?”
Dave wanted to rave at her, what did she think would happen?
“The docs were quite concerned but they don’t think there’s any lasting damage.”
“Lasting,” my voice trailed off, “like things falling off?”
“You were barefoot when they found you.”
“But?”
“You still have a full set of toes – just. You might not be wearing those silly stilts for a week or two though.”
I guess toes are good.

The medics wanted to keep me in a second night, which of course meant more time off school. I’m still not clear on what I argued with Mum over and she’s not saying, it’s like I’ve wiped my memories clean. If it was that important I’m sure she’d say something.
Anyway back at home was weird too, everyone was on eggshells around me, Mand, Jules (they’d both skived off school) and especially Mum. My fingers and toes were still sore and tingly and certainly not the colour they should be – I had to take the blue off my nails, as it looked well weird now.

“I’ll take you up to Bernie later, if you want,” Mum offered after lunch.
“Er okay, I should go to cheer tonight.”
“I’m sure Margot will understand.”
“But I’m supposed to be in charge,” I pointed out.
“You won’t be doing much with those feet will you, I’ll ring her and explain.”

I can hear that conversation – ‘Gaby decided to get some frostbite so she can’t walk very well this week’, talk about make me look stupid. Well I suppose I deserve that, going out sans coat in the freezing cold was not the most sensible thing I’ve ever done – and I’ve done some stupid stuff.
“Okay,” I heard myself agree.

I hobbled into the Preiser’s kitchen, Mum prodding me forward. Everyone had gone a bit weird when I suggested Jules and Mand come up too, maybe Bern can enlighten me?
“Heya,” Bern greeted us, “you had us all worried there, Gabs.”
“Er yeah, um sorry for that.”
“Sit, sit,” Erika prompted, “coffee everyone?”

Once we had drinks Erika and Mum left the two of us in the kitchen and departed for the lounge.
“So,” I offered.
“So,” Bern agreed, “what was the disappearing stuff about?”
“I was hoping you could tell me, my mind’s a blank, I remember clearing the soup stuff, then nothing.”
“Well we heard you shouting at your mum then you slammed out. So how are your fingers?”
“Not dropping off this week but sore,” I showed her my hands, “feet are worse.”
“Nasty.”
“That’s me, stupid is as stupid does but what about you?”
“What about me?”
“Come on, Bern, it’s me, I know there’s something going on – oh my God, you’re pregnant again, by Mart!”
“Gab!”
“That’s it, that’s why you came.”
“No it’s not,” she replied firmly, I mean, think about it, Gab, just when could we have, you know done the deed, I’ve not seen him since Drea was born have I?”
“I guess not,” I allowed, “but there’s something, I know it!”
Bern hesitated; should she tell Gab, bring her friend into the web?
“I told you everything last week.”
“You didn’t tell me the Social want to take Drea away.”
“How’d? – You spoke to mum,” she surmised.
“Well not me, Mum rang her last week. So coming here is something to do with that?”
Bern sighed, “Not here, come up and see Drea.”
“I wondered where she was.”
“Sleeping I hope.”

I followed my friend up to her room – somehow that seemed right, not the room she was staying in but her room. It looks like I’m going to find out what this is all about, whatever ‘this’ is.

Maddy Bell 30.05.16

up
280 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Not my fault

Podracer's picture

it was, er, ( something mutter something.. )
A while since Gabs went off the rails, she's on and off been stressing lately but it's not as if life has been weighing her under tragedy is it.

"Reach for the sun."

*Chapter 21* Awkward Feeking

Sorry Maddy, I just could not resist to highlight that under the Gaby's picture the title read (*Chapter 21*
Awkward Feeking). Is it done purposely? It intrigued me.

Gaby really need more rest. And need to talk to someone who can help. I think she may have some sort of hidden depression. Oh Gaby...

So, Gaby and Jenn

As Gaby's mind is currently a boxcar short of a train, will Mum use this as an excuse to sweep the incident under the rug or will she eventually come clean? “Dave, I think I’ve mucked up big style, she was pretty upset, she didn’t take a coat even.” and Gaby has got few superclues that will give her part of what happened. Even though Gaby can be said to be partly responsible, in my mind at least she has a legit beef. Being the youngest myself I know only too well how everything can be dumped on you with little to no consideration. And I do wonder how much Jenn told Dave and Jules? Inquiring Minds Want To Know!


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Stupid, yes... but

Jamie Lee's picture

For fourteen years, Gaby was thought to be Andrew because of his genitalia at birth. Medical concerns after a couple of races led to tests that shook up the Bond household. Turns out he wasn't a he, but a she with a incomplete body.

Sink or swim, something people tell others when they have to learn something on their own. When it was learned Drew was Gaby, who sat down with Gaby and explained, in detail, what it meant to be a girl? Who sat down with her and gave her the full 'mother/daughter' talk? Who help teach her about fashion, instead of leaving it to Gaby?

Maybe part of the problem was all the freedom Dave and Jenny gave the girls? Maybe it was because Jenny and Dave were more involved with bike racing than their daughter's lives? In many ways, Gaby was thrown into the deep end and told to sink or swim.

When the Bonds received the test results that showed Drew Bond had XX chromosomes, at that point she should have started meeting with a counselor. Instead, it was this race or that race. Instead of dealing with her needed medical treatment, Dave and Jenny gave in to Gaby's whining about missing the Worlds. Sorry, but medical needs trump racing needs and Dave and Jenny failed being the parents.

Why did Gaby blow up over having to help fix dessert and clean up after the meal? Part has to do with her being a bit self centered, the day she learned she wasn't a boy, and the times Jenny, Mad, and the other girls had her dress as a girl when it was thought she was a boy.

It all came to a head when Jenny had Gaby help with the meal with the Preisers and Jules didn't. It's a wonder Gaby hadn't blown up before now, given everything she holds inside of her.

Others have feelings too.